Hawkins Genealogy Site
Kelly's Directory 1875
KITTISFORD is a parish and village, 4 miles north-west from Wellington station, and 4 south from Wiveliscombe station, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Milverton, Wellington union and county court district, Taunton rural deanery and archdeaconry, diocese of Bath and Wells, situated on the river Tone. The church of St. Nicholas is now being rebuilt by subscriptions, and will consis of chancel, nave, south aisle, north chantry, tower with 3 bells, and porch. The register dates from the year 1694. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £125 yearly, with residence and 109 acres of glebe land, in the gift of trustees, and held by the Rev. William James Caulfeild Browne, M.A., of St. John’s College, Oxford. There is a Sunday school held in the rectory. Robert Charles Thomas Pearce, who is lord of the manor, John Spurway, esq., of Spring Grove, Milverton, and William Sweet, esq., of Stawley, are chief landowners. The soil is clayey, and the subsoil is chiefly red shillet. The crops are mostly wheat, barley and roots. The acreage is 952; rateable value, £1,479; the population in 1871 was 138.
Parish Clerk, Robert Fouracre.
Letters by foot post from Wellington, which is the nearest money order office
Browne, Rev. William James Caulfeild, M.A. [rector], Rectory
Cape Thomas, farmer, Cothay abbey
Cordwent Richard, farmer, Kittisford Barton
Farrand John, farmer
Godwin Edwd. auctionr. & frmr. Bearley frm.; & at Lowr. Lovelinch, Milverton
Hayman Isaac, miller
Back to Miscellaneous Page
Back to Home Page