Hawkins Genealogy Site
Kelly's Directory 1875
SWELL is a parish, 4 miles west-south-west from Langport station on the Bristol and Exeter railway, on the road from Taunton to Langport, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, Langport union and county court district, Crewkerne rural deanery, archdeaconry of Taunton, and diocese of Bath and Wells. The church of St. Catherine is a very ancient stone building, with chancel, nave, bell turret with 2 bells, and south porch. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is an endowed vicarage, united to Fivehead, joint yearly value £350, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol, and held by the Rev. Richard William Lambert, M.A., of Pembroke College, Oxford. Swell Court, an ancient residence, is now a farm-house. John Samuel W. S. Erle Drax, esq., M.P., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is chiefly sandy loam. The chief crops are wheat, beans and oats. The area is 891 acres; rateable value, £1,351; and the population in 1871 was 126.
WEST SEDGMOOR, formerly extra-parochial, has been annexed to the parish of Swell.
Parish Clerk, William Sawtell.
Letters through Taunton. The nearest money order office is at Curry Rivell
Barnard George, farmer
Cote Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer, West Sedgmoor
Goodson William, farmer
Hallett Jeremiah, farmer, Swell court
Louch Thomas, farmer
Meade Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, West Sedgmoor
Sillick Robert, farmer
Solway John, farmer, West Sedgmoor
Solway John, jun. farmer
Squire Henry, farmer, West Sedgmoor
Sydenham Jacob, farmer
Back to Miscellaneous Page
Back to Home Page