Sarah Hawkins Genealogy Site - Kelly's Directory 1939 Curry Mallet

Sarah Hawkins Genealogy Site
Kelly's Directory

Kelly's Directory 1939

Curry Mallet is a village and parish on the river Ile, 3 miles east from Hatch Beauchamp station on the Chard branch of the Great Western railway, 8 south-east from Taunton and 6 north-north-west from Ilminster, in the Yeovil parliamentary division, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, petty sessional division of Ilminster, rural district and county court district of Langport, rural deanery of Crewkerne (Ilminster district), archdeaconry of Taunton and diocese of Bath and Wells. Water is supplied by the Langport Rural District Council. The church of All Saints is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, south chapel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells, a sixth being given in 1937 by H. B. Selous esq.: in the south chapel, belonging to the family of Pyne, is a mural monument, with kneeling figures, to John Pyne, ob. 1642: a unique carved reredos, believed to be of Flemish origin, was placed in the Pyne chapel by Richard Thomas Combe esq. of Earnshill, to the memory of his cousins, Charlotte Uttermare and Jane Maria, daughters of the Rev. William Pyne, of Pitney: in the chancel is a mural monument to Ralph Mighill, ob. 1633; and in the north aisle a mural monument with kneeling female figure, and an altar tomb: in the sanctuary is an old credence table with a well at the bottom for candles &c. and one at the top for viels, burses &c.; it is believed to have come originally from the church at Pensford, Somerset, date c. 1620 A.D.; it was placed as a memorial to his mother by the Rev. H. C. Tritton: the east widow is a memorial to Sarah E. Leigh-Pemberton, d. 1862: the church was restored in 1879 and 1882 at a cost of £912, and has sittings for 270 persons. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a rectory, with Curland chapelry annexed, joint net yearly value £486, with residence, and 7 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Duchy of Cornwall, and held since 1918 by the Rev. Horace Charles Tritton L.Th. of Durham University, rural dean of Ilminster. There is a Baptist chapel here. William Weaver, who died June 4, 1877, left £300 to be invested, the interest to be distributed in coal and money to such poor persons in this parish as are bonâ fide members of the Church of England. Miss Uttermare, in 1900, left £300 to be invested and the interest to be distributed in coals and blankets. In 1925 Mrs. Charlotte Uttermare Smith left £100, to be known as the Pyne charity, to augment the coal charity or other suitable fund for the benefit of the poor of the parish. The manorial rights and nearly the whole of the land belong to the Duchy of Cornwall. The soil is clayey, and the subsoil blue lias stone. The chief crops are wheat, beans and oats. The area is 1,525 acres; the population in 1931 was 315 in the civil and 461 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Post Office. Letters through Taunton. The nearest M. O. & T. office is at Hatch Beauchamp


(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)

Selous Gerald Holgate O.B.E. Manor house

Tritton Rev. Horace Charles L.Th. Durh. (rector, & rual dean), Rectory


Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.

Baker Saml. farmer, Duchy farm. Hatch Beauchamp 256

Bell P.H. (Fras. Edwd. Crossman)

Churchill Chas. smallholder. Hatch Beauchamp 265

Churchill Frank, smallholder

Collard Wallace, boot repr

°Glide Edwin, farmer, Manor farm. Hatch Beachamp 266

Hembrow Fredk. Chas. baker

Hornbrook Edith (Mrs.), shopkpr

Musgrove George, wheelwright

Osborne Wm. farmer. Hatch Beauchamp 280

Perry S. J. & Sons, machinists

Pym William, harness maker

Rock P.H. (Edwin Pope)

°Slade Clifford, farmer, Park farm. Hatch Beauchamp 268

Stodgell Edwin Jas. smallholder

Summerhayes Wilfred, smallholder

Taylor Wallace Levi, bldr. Silver st. Hatch Beachamp 294

Tottle Mark, smallholder

Vile John Edwards, farmer

Back to Miscellaneous Page

Back to Home Page