Hawkins Genealogy Site
Kelly's Directory of Somerset 1939
HAMBRIDGE is an ecclesiastical parish, formed Oct 11, 1844, from the parishes of Barrington, Curry Rivel, Ile Brewers and Puckington, parts of the extra-parochial parish of Knighton, and including the whole of the ancient parish of Earnshill; it is on the road from Ilminster to Glastonbury, about 5 miles south-west from Langport and 5 north-north-east from Ilminster stations on the Great Western railway, in the Yeovil parliamentary division, hundred of Kingsbury, petty sessional division and county court district of Langport, rural deanery of Crewkerne (Ilminster district), arch-deaconry of Taunton and diocese of Bath and Wells. Electricity is available. Water supplied by the Langport Rural District Council. The church of St. James is a building of stone in the Gothic style, erected in 1842, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch, organ chamber and vestry, and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing one bell: there is a stained window: the choir is separated from the nave by a low screen; there are 220 sittings. The register dates from 1844. The living is a perpetual curacy, with the sinecure of Earnshill annexed, joint net yearly value £300, including nearly 10 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Bath and Wells, and held since 1930 by the Rev. Hugh Rudolph Willimott M. A. of University College, Durham. There is a Methodist chapel. Robert Tristram Combe esq. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is chiefly clay and sandy loam; the subsoil, blue lias and limestone. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans, barley, mangolds, swedes, withies and teasels. The population in 1931 was 443.
EARNSHILL is a parish near the river Ile, half a mile west, and in the hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, The living is a sinecure rectory, annexed to Hambridge. Earnshill is a handsome mansion, in a fine park of 120 acres, the seat of Robert Tristram Combe esq. lord of the manor and sole landowner. The land is chiefly in pasture.
By the Somerset Review Order, 1933, the civil parish of Earnshill was amalgamated with that of Curry Rivell.
Knighton, 1½ miles south, formerly extra-parochial, but now annexed to the civil parish of Barrington, is in the ecclesiastical district of Hambridge.
Post, M. O. T. Office. Letters through Taunton
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Combe Robert Tristram, Earnshill
Naish Rev. H
Willimott Rev. Hugh Rudolph M.A. (perpetual curate), Hundry lodge
Marked thus º farm 150 acres or over.
Brister Chas. carpntr
Brister Tom, blacksmith
British Legion (Hambridge & Westport branch) (F. W. Lacey, sec)
Clarence P.H. (Wm. Brownsey)
Dinham Hy. Chas. farmer
Doble Fras. R. farmer
Duck Frederick, coal dealer
Dyer Jessie (Mrs.), shopkpr. & post office
Dyer Morton Wm. cycle repr
Lang Henry M. & Co. (established 1780), brewers, cider makers & wine & spirit merchants, Hambridge brewery, Curry Rivel. T N Curry Rivel 5
Long Fredk. Jas. farmer, Westport
ºMaidment Nelson Cary, farmer, Earnshill farm
Marsh Harold, carpntr
New Inn (Wltr, F. Oxenbury)
Paull Wm. Jsph. motor engnr. Ile Brewers 214
Pearce Chas. Aubrey, farmer
Rayner Jn. shopkpr
Rayner Jn. shopkpr. Westport
Ree Geo. Edwin, basket mkr. Westport
White Frank, grocer
Woodland Herbt. framer
Woodland Thos. farmer, Westport
Back to Miscellaneous Page
Back to Home Page