Sarah Hawkins Genealogy Site - Kelly's Directory 1939 High and Low and Nether Ham Somerset

Sarah Hawkins Genealogy Site
Kelly's Directory

Kelly's Directory of Somerset 1939

HIGH and LOW or NETHER HAM form a parish, 3.5 miles north from Langport West station on the Durston and Yeovil branch of the Great Western railway, and 3 miles north form Langport East station on the Castle Cary and Durston rail motor car service of the same line, and 5 west from Somerton, in the Yeovil parliamentary division, hundred of Whitley, petty sessional division of Somerton and Langport, rural district and county court district of Langport, rural deanery of Ilchester (Ilchester district), archdeaconry of Wells and diocese of Bath and Wells. The church of St. Andrews, originally erected by John Selwyn abbot of Glastonbury in 1476, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, containing a chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock placed in 1894 and 5 bells: the tower is much older than the rest of the building: there are several gargoyles round the church and tower, and on the latter is a small statue of the Virgin and Child in good preservation: the rood screen is remarkable for its beauty: there is a brass to John Dyer, who build the chancel, dated 1499: the stained east window is a memorial to John Dobin, of Aller, and there are others to Francis Gillett, late churchwarden, and his son: the font is Norman and the pulpit is of stone: the church was restored in 1870 and affords 350 sittings. The register dates from the year 1569, and contains many curious notes in Latin. There is also preserved here a description of the parish in Latin, made by Adrian Schael, who was rector of the parish in the reign of Elizabeth. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £550, including about 20 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Worcester College, Oxford, and held since 1927 by the Rev. Edward Basil Armstrong Hughes M.A. of that college. There is a Methodist chapel at High Ham, a Congregational chapel at Low Ham, erected in 1860, with 100 sittings, and another at Henley, built in 1841, seating 80 persons. The old schoolhouse is the property of the parish; on the wall is an inscription, dated 1598. At Nether Ham is a chapel dating from about 1650, standing on a site of a much more ancient structure; it contains effigies of Sir Edward Hext, knighted at Whitehall, 12 May, 1604, and his wife; and also a monument to Lord Stawell, with a Latin inscription; there are 120 sittings. The living is a chaplaincy, net yearly value £24, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1927 by the Re. Edward Basil Armstrong Hughes M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford, who is also rector of High Ham (see above). The charities, which are of small yearly value, include an endowment left by Adrian Schael to found a school. The farmers are the principal landowners. The soil is stone brash and clay; and the subsoil is blue and white lias. The chief crops are wheat, beans, barley and apples. There are orchards in this parish producing large quantities of cider. The area is 5,017 acres of land and inland water; the population of the civil parish in 1931 was 766 and of the ecclesiastical parish 753.

By Local Government Board Order 17,645, March 25, 1886, parts of King's Sedgmoor were amalgamated with High Ham from Long Sutton and Huish Episcopi parishes.

NETHER HAM is a tithing of Champton hundred, Wilton Free Manors. The villages of Henley, 1½ miles north, Picts Hill, 2 south, Beer, 1½ north-west, and Stout, 1 south-east, are in this parish.

Post, M. O. & T. Office, High Ham. Letters through Taunton



(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)

Bellot Hale

Carne-Hill Mrs. Ham court

Goode W. Winter, The Green

Gummer William H. Magnolia house

Hughes Rev. Edward Basil Armstrong M.A. (rector), Rectory

Manson Lieut.-Comdr. William R.N. (ret.), Lyneham cottage

Prince Col. P. E., D.S.O. Wearne Wyche

Reynolds Miss, Southend house

Rowsell Thomas William

Westover William John, The Grange


Barber Victor, farmer, Henley

Bartlett Harold, farmer, Henley

Bartlett Maurice W. farmer, Henley

Beddington Fred Hopkins, canine specialist

Coombes Wilson, farmer, Longstreet farm

Cox Wm. farmer, Henley

Crossman Arth. Luther, stone mason

England George, farmer

Fisher Bertie, thatcher

Ford Adolphus, cowkeeper

Gooding J. (Mrs.), nurse

Gould Herbt. John, farmer, New Road farm

Hodge Wm. farmer, Henley

Hodges Mrs. shopkpr

King's Head Inn (Mrs. Eliz. A. Inder)

Lavis Fras. Wm. & Son, carpntrs

Lavis Albert Edward, wheelwright

°Lawrence W. R. & Son, farmers, Bere (letters through Aller, Taunton)

Lloyd Fredk. Edgar, farmer, Henley

Lloyd George, farmer, Decoy farm

Lloyd Thos. farmer, Henley

Loader Bros. farmers, Henley

Lockyer Chas. baker

Meade Jesse Bailey, farmer, Bere (letters through Aller, Taunton)

Meaker Regnld. Jesse, farmer, Henley Corner farm, Henley

Mears & Hunt, grocers, stationers, outfitters & drapers, The Stores & post office. T N Langport 900

Oram Herbt. farmer, Broadacre

Oram Jas. turf mer. Henley

Oram Jn. smallholder, Henley

Peppard Rt. Bere (letters through Aller, Taunton)

Pitman Saml. Wm. insur. agt. & clerk to Parish Council

Priddle Wltr. Jn. boot mkr

Prideaux (Langport) Ltd. egg & poultry packing station; dealers in pigs, calves & lambs; horse slaughterers, Ham Down house (letters through Langport). Langport 11

Shepherd F. & C. farmers, Cooksley farm, Henley

Sherrin Bros. farmers, Yew Tree farm, Henley

Sherrin Adam Geo. frmr. Manor frm

Spearing Simon, grocer

Tapscott Ernest, farmer, Howes frm

Tapscott Hy. farmer, Henley

Thyer Edwin, farmer, Townsend farm

Townsend Ernest, boot repr

Travis George, farmer, Henley

°Vigar Bros. farmers, Bridge farm, Henley

°Vigar Maurice, farmer, Henley farm

Webb Harold, farmer, Henley

Wilkins Douglas, farmer, Poole farm

Wilkins Ernest, farmer, Henley

Wilkins Wm. Dewdney, farmer, Whitehouse farm, Henley

Williams Herbt. farmer, Bere (letters through Aller, Taunton)

Williams Percy, farmer, Fir Tree farm, Henley


Marked thus * receive letters through Langport, Somerset.


Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.

Bassett Leonard, poultry farmer, Highlands

*Body Arth. Geo. poultry farmer, Mid-Somerset poultry farm. Langport 116

*Bonning H. H. & Son, poultry farmers, Pict's hill. Langport 41

Clark Howard, farmer, Dairy House farm

°Cook H. T. & L. W. farmers, Old Manor farm. Langport 111

Gooding Austin E. farmer

Hill Marshall, farmer

Hurd William, farmer

Inder Harry, farmer

°Keevil Bros. farmers, New Manor farm. Langport 112

Lloyd Geo. Wallis, farmer, Bramwells farm

Lloyd Norman, farmer, Fir Tree frm

Mid-Somerset Golf Club (R. J. McEvoy, sec)

*Salway Jn. Thos. farmer, Ham Down

*Snell Geo. farmer, Pict's hill

Stone Ralph, farmer

*Thresher Chas. & Son, farmers, Ham Down farm

Windsor Percival, farmer, ploughing contractor, & cars for hire, Perren's farm. Langport 99

Back to Miscellaneous Page

Back to Home Page