Marion Township, Daviess County, Missouri
(Also Referred to As: James, Logston, McCulley & Meade Cemetery; McCulley Cemetery; Kenneth Mason Farm Cemetery; and incorrectly as Muddy Cemetery. Also correctly spelled without the "n" as in "Valladigham" and misspelled "Vallingham".)
First Known Burial: 1848
Sources & Maps:
(1) The 1876 Plat Book shows the landowner for the area containing Vallandingham Cemetery as a "R. T. James." Adjacent to R.T.'s land is "J. H. James" who is buried in Vallandingham Cemetery. A mile northeast of Vallandingham Cemetery is a "Wm. Vallandingham" landowner.
(2) The 1898 Plat Book plots a cemetery, unnamed as the practice for the plat book, in the NE1/4 of the NE1/4 of section 15, T60N, R29W.
(3) In the Daviess County Missouri Cemetery Index (c. 1973) by Cynthia Robinson the cemetery is misspelled "Vallingham."
(4) In the History of Daviess County (1984) on page 155, contributor Elizabeth Jeffries identifies a "McCulley Cemetery" in section 15, range 29, of Marion Township. She correctly identifies the cemetery as being on the edge of Grindstone Creek but incorrectly identifies the 1876 landowner as "I. McCulley." I suspect the reason for the error is due to a significant course change in Grindstone Creek since 1876 routing it 3/4 of a mile eastward today. That is to say there is a I. McCulley 1876 landowner in section 15, but originally the cemetery lay on the route of the Grand River, not Grindstone Creek as it does today.
(5) The 1998 Plat Book lists in its index but does not plot a cemetery in section 15, T60, R29, naming it "Muddy Cemetery." This was an unfortunate error which I perpetuated from 1998 to 2002. The true Muddy Cemetery is also listed in the index of the 1998 Plat Book correctly identified in section 20 of the same township/range.
Cemetery Information Page Last Updated: 06/25/06