Joseph Albert Jacob Lauerman
- Born: 28 May 1866, Muscoda, Grant, Wisconsin, United States 3
- Marriage (1): Amelia Bezio in 1892 1
- Marriage (2): Cecelia Josephine Kellerman on 14 Feb 1901 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States 2
- Died: 30 Dec 1922, Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States at age 56 4 5
- Buried: 02 Jan 1923, Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States 6
Noted events in his life were:
• He worked as a Joseph A. J. And Frank J. Lauerman founded Lauerman's Department Store in May 1890 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States. 7
• He worked as a Merchant, Dry Goods in 1900 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States. 8
• He resided at Main street in 1900 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States. 9
• He worked as a Vice-President, Department Store in 1910 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States. 4
• He worked as a Merchant, Dept. Store in 1920 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States. 10
• He resided at 1975 Riverside Drive in 1920 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States. 11
• Joseph Albert Jacob Lauerman was an individual of interest in an article published in Peshtigo Times on 11 May 1922 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States. 12
Thirty-two years ago Joseph A. J. and Frank J. Lauerman founded in Marinette the business which is today known so widely as the greatest retail and wholesale merchandising establishment of the northwest. A few years later Charles J. Lauerman, another brother, joined the firm, and these three men have been its owners and directors ever since.
The beginning in 1890 was made with a few hundred dollars capital, in a little store with three or four employees, including the owners, but the big capital with which this business started, which it has always maintained and always will as long as it bears the Lauerman name, was an ideal of honest merchandising on a small profit plan, a sense of obligation owed the customer, a realization that "he profits most who serves best", and a determination to win and hold the confidence of the public by deserving it.
To those early days Joseph and Frank Lauerman gave untiring work, busy at the counters by day and at their books and in their little store at night, and they stuck to their ideals through thick and thin, building, buying and selling, until today their credit and fair name in the business world is equal to that of any concern in the United States engaged in a similar line of business.
From a few thousand dollars of gross business in the first year, the Lauerman brothers have lived to see their business total $4,000,000 a year, spread through the thirty-seven departments of their present organization and including the wholesale department which carries on an annually increasing jobbing business in the Cloverland territory. Their traveling salesmen cover the north country continuously, their buyers go personally to Europe, New York and Chicago to bring to the people of the Twin Cities the best merchandise, always disposed of to their customers on the small profit plan which was the cornerstone of their 1890 foundation.
The Lauerman Brothers company today employs 325 people, some of whom have been with them since the opening day thirty-two years ago, and many of their department managers for twenty years or more. Not only is the entire business systematized on the most modern and improved lines, but every consideration is given to the employees, including a week's vacation each year and other concessions designed to produce a real morale and reflect itself in service to the customers.
The floor space occupied by the Lauerman company is 205,050 square feet, with a store building not excelled in any city and better than many metropolitan stores.
The anniversary of 1922 celebrated in a merchandising way this week by a tempting anniversary sale in each department, has brought hundreds of congratulatory telegrams to Lauerman brothers from the largest houses in a America, who have been doing business with them for a third of a century, and the executive offices of the store resembled today a crowded floral shop.
In every enterprise for the upbuilding and development of Marinette, Menominee and the northern section, Joseph, Frank and Charles Lauerman have taken a active part. The money they have made here has been spent here, and through the years of their accumulating success they have remained the same wholesome and unassuming businessmen they were at the beginning. Probably no great store exists in this country where the owners know and meet so many of their customers, where they so much are in personal touch with the details which effect their patrons and where so many folks of every walk and vocation know the owners and call them by their first names.
So that this thirty-second anniversary of Lauerman Brothers company is much more than a merchandising or commercial achievement. It is proof positive that it pays to be decent and square in business, and that success can be found where honest effort and hard work go hand in hand.
• Joseph Albert Jacob Lauerman was an individual of interest in an article published in Peshtigo Times on 11 May 1922 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States. 13
• He was buried at the Forest Home Cemetery in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States on 02 Jan 1923. 6
• His obituary was published in the Marinette Eagle-Star on 02 Jan 1923 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States. 6
J. A. LAUERMAN EXPIRES ON SATURDAY
ILLNESS OF LONG DURATION ATTENTION AS THE YEAR CLOSES; FUNERAL IS HELD TODAY
Death has claimed a prominent business man of the city in the passing of Joseph Albert John Lauerman, 1975 Riverside avenue, senior member of the Lauerman Brothers Company. Waging a valiant battle against great odds for years, aided by all that medical skill and loving care could do, nevertheless the effort was all in vain. The marvel has been that the sorely tortured body could so long endure the afflictions that marked the closing years of his life. Tho for weeks he hovered at the "portals of the door that swings between forever and no more," the end came with the same great shock that always accompanies the separation of soul and body.
A marked change in the condition of the patient became apparent about 2 o'clock on Saturday afternoon and from then until 11 o'clock, the death agony continued.
Kneeling in the death chamber, united in prayer for the soul in its supreme conflict were the members of the three Lauerman families and a few close friends. Tho the closing hours were turbulent, the last moments were calm, and the soul of the suffer went forth peacefully.
Thruout the long years of illness, borne with heroic resignation, manifesting his great nobility of soul, there were many hopeful signs to buoy the hopes of loved ones, only to be dissembled as the unconquerable malady made new encroachments. For the past three months the patient had been wholly paralyzed an in a comatose condition.
Mr. Lauerman was born in Muscoda, Wis., fifty-seven years ago, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Lauerman. He entered the business arena when 15 years of age, when he accepted a position in the store of Jacob Bremmer, one of the leading business men of his home town, remaining at his post there for eight years. When 23 he came to Marinette, and after looking over the situation here decided to embark in the mercantile business, having but a meager capital, saved from his own and brother Frank's earnings. With a wealth of ambition and unlimited energy, he opened a store where the Boreal Co. is now located on Main street. Frank Lauerman, younger brother, who had not as yet attained his majority, was a silent partner, remaining at his work in Muscoda to aid the struggling business. In three months time, Don McDonald, a former Muscoda man who conducted a job printing plant here, entered into partnership with the Lauerman Brothers, Mr. McDonald later retiring.
Eighteen months later, Frank Lauerman arrived to take an active interest in the business which succeeded beyond all expectations from its inception, until the present day when the business that had such a humble start commands international attention, and its buyers visit foreign fields to purchase stocks for the large concern.
A few years later Charles Lauerman made his advent in the city and shortly became associated as a member of the firm of Lauerman Brothers Co., the business now being located in two large three-story-and-basement buildings on Dunlap Square, with numerous warehouses thruout the city. The list of employees numbers several hundred, while at the start, L. T. Plouff, who is still with the company as a manager and buyer of several of the most important departments, was the sole aid in the conduct of the business.
From morn to night Mr. Lauerman labored, having the entire business under his command as it steadily expanded into great magnitude, completing as it seems, a long life span in a comparatively brief period by his ceaseless activity.
Mr. Lauerman was married to Miss Cecilia Kellerman, eldest daughter of Henry Kellerman, who survives, with the following children: Henry, Catherine, Marinette, Joseph Jr., Elizabeth and Ursula. Other survivors are brothers, Frank J. and Charles J. Lauerman.
Beloved By All
Possessed of a kindly nature, Mr. Lauerman won the affection of all who knew him and his charity was boundless. Never was an appeal of the poor made in vain to him and frequently he anticipated and lent a helping hand when need was great. His great charity was one of the many luminous marks that made life brighter for him and for innumerable others. Devoted to his family he lavished all that affection and money could provide for their comfort and pleasure. Long and tenderly will his memory be held in the hearts of all who knew him. His loss to the city cannot be measured.
He was a faithful member of Our Lady of Lourdes church, and of the following fraternal societies, Catholic Order of Foresters, Knights of Columbus, Elks and Rotary clubs.
Flags at Half Mast
As Mr. Lauerman had been a member of the Library Board and always took a foremost interest in civic affairs, the flags on some of the city buildings and other public places were at half mast from the time of death until after the funeral. Mr. Lauerman was also a director of the First National bank and had varied business interests aside from the mercantile business.
Mr. Lauerman has left to his family the priceless heritage of a life will spent and his record is worthy of emulation not alone by his kin but by people in general. Never robust, Mr. Lauerman gave of himself,his wealth and his time, gladly and cheerfully in the service of others, being and exemplary citizen, and his death is a distinct loss to this community wherein the major portion of is life-span was past.
The funeral of Mr. Lauerman was held this morning, the cortege forming at the family residence, 1975 Riverside, about 9:30, proceeding thence to Our Lady of Lourdes church where a solemn requiem mass was offered. The Rev. Father F. G. Tulley, who ministered to Mr. Lauerman thruout his long illness, was the celebrant; the Rev. Father J. M. Paciecha, city, deacon; the Rev. Father E. H. Vaissiere, city, sub-deacon; and the Rev. Father H. C. Heiman, city, master of ceremonies. Present in the January besides the officiating priests were the Rt. Rev. Monsignor P. J. Lochman, a former pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes, of Kaukauna; the Rev. Father W. A. Ruel of Wausaukee; the Rev. Father Emil Seiter, city; the Rev. Father D. Cleary, the Rev. Father Neumeir, the Rev. Father G. A. Laforest, the Rev. Father V. A. Karel and the Rev. Father Boussault, all of Menominee.
The Rev. Father Tulley, after the solemn requiem mass, spoke briefly in regard to the life and character of the deceased. He said that he desired a few words not to praise him but to speak of those qualities which distinguished him among men. He spoke of his charity, his generosity, his noble example as a husband and father, his humility and especially of his devotion to the worship of God. He was a practical Catholic who lost no opportunity to further and practice his religion. He spoke of him as a man who was meek and humble but earnest in everything that made for the salvation of his soul. He was generous to the poor, generous to the church, and kindly and considerate in his manner toward all and he commended his example to his children who survive him.
The Rev. Monsignor P. J. Lochman officiated at The Liebra and at the commitment services at the graveside in Forest Home cemetery, the Rev. Monsignor P. J. Lochman, the Rev. Father Tulley and the Rev. Father Ruel officiating.
Sixty-nine cars, conveying the employees of the Lauerman Brothers company and the honorary bearers, preceded the funeral car. About 100 cars being in line.
The body was reposed in a handsome bronze casket and was carried by P. C. Donnelly, W. E. Clarey, W. C. Campbell, D. J. Madigan, Robert Bodenbach, Milwaukee; James Downs, Chicago; R. M. Andrews, Menominee, and John O'Connell, Milwaukee. The honorary bearers were selected from the Knights of Columbus and were: L. J. Evans, John Moore, Eli Racine, Alvin Lahiff, Edward Beazilon, Henry McGowan, Frank Lindsey, E. Charette, N. J. Lavergue, Joseph Zietz and Arthur Nice. Sepulture was made in the Lauerman plat in Forest Home cemetery.
The array of floral tributes was among the largest and most beautiful ever seen in the city. Many came from other cities, from Marshall Fields, Carson Pirie, Chicago; and other large firms in metropolitan centers with whom the Lauerman company does business, sending magnificent pieces. A blanket of flowers covered the casket. The flowers were in charge of Mrs. D. J. Madigan and Mrs. Fred Carney. The room in which the casket reposed and adjoining rooms being banked with the beautiful flower tributes. Mingled with the flowers were many spiritual bouquets, sent by sympathizing friends.
From Other Cities
Among the people from other cities who came for the obsequies were: Mrs. J. Lauerman, John Lauerman, Frank Victor, Henry and Edward Kratochville, all of Muscoda; Frank and Fred Krathochville of Goll; Frank Fuchek, Sauk City; Mr. and Mrs. William Steinle, Madison; Robert Bodenbach and daughter, Miss Hattie, of Milwaukee; John O'Connell, Milwaukee; James Downs, Chicago; Lou Marshall, Appleton; Henry Kellerman, Watertown; Max Kellerman, Escanaba; Mrs. Elizabeth Pryor, Chicago; A. M. Bellock, Columbus, Wis.; S. C. Medelson, Chicago; J. P. Hartray, Chicago; Mr. Chamberlain, Waupun; Mr. Suddath, Milwaukee; the Rt. Rev. Monsignor P. J. Lochman, Kaukauna; and the Rev. Father W. A. Ruel of Wausaukee; L. W. Brazeou, Oconto.
At the graveside, a canopy had been erected for the protection of the mourners during the ceremonies, as a cold wind prevailed. The grave was lined with cedar.
The Lauerman Bros. company store was closed this morning.
• Joseph Albert Jacob Lauerman was an individual of interest in an article published in Marinette EagleHerald on 28 Oct 2001 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States. 14
Marinette-Menominee Eagle-Herald (no byline cited)
Published Monday, October 28, 2002
A drive past an old sports landmark is enough to twist a sentimental soul. This inner changeover transpires whenever I take the Water Street route past Lauerman Field. The stadium was home on gorgeous fall afternoons and chilly evenings for the Marinette Marines, Our Lady of Lourdes Shamrocks, later Catholic Central, for nearly a half century.
Forget for a moment that my roots are embedded in Menominee and my blood circulates in maroon. When a football diehard craves for good old-fashioned head-knocking, from the days of leather helmets to the precision formations of current times, it doesn't matter where the game is played. Enemy turf can sometimes become an inspiring place to be when you want to bait your friends from across the river, or take a few good jabs from them. Good-natured heckling is not harmful.
I attended many games at the garden of joy before age and a mysterious fire tossed it for a loss in 1972. It's hard to realize the field hasn't been the scene of gridiron jocks for 30 years although it is used for middle school physical education classes, touch football and other exercises.
There's something special about the place. I even stop at times to watch the youngsters romping up and down the field. The action clicks on a rerun button and ghosts start dancing by, dressed not in scary white sheets but in purple jerseys. The replays show Jug Girard, wearing No. 98 on the back of his jersey, performing his triple threat acts, and then trotting across Water Street to his family home. I remain convinced Jug was more comfortable crossing the goal line and kicking extra points in the east end zone because it lined up with his bedroom across the street.
The ghosts keep flashing on my memory screen -- Glen "Rabbit" Johnson, Frosty Parrish, Jim Strem, Allen Felch, Bob Pazdera and a host of other talented backs and rough-and-tumble linemen. And coaches like Harry Anderle, Lynn Jordan, Howie Stiehm, Marlon Batterman, Denny Mair and Erv Kunesh stalking the sidelines with arms fluttering in the breeze.
The Shamrocks, later the Cavaliers, likewise had their share of gifted athletes and coaches strut their stuff at Lauerman Field. Some of their visiting opponents were well-known, too, like coaches Ward Cuff and Ted Fritsch, former Packer players, who brought Green Bay Catholic Central, later Premontre (now Notre Dame) here. Gene "Torchy" Clark of Appleton Xavier and Tom St. Germain of Escanaba St. Joseph, later Holy Name, were renowned generals who marched their proficient troops on Lauerman Field.
One of Clark's esteemed soldiers was Robert "Rocky" Bleier who went on to star at Notre Dame and for the Pittsburgh Steelers during their great Super Bowl years. St. Germain introduced the dazzling Pete Kutches on the Water Street stage one afternoon and then sat back and watched him dramatize with a 400-plus yard performance.
Lauerman Field was a monument to tradition. Nothing jumbo or glitzy. The steep concrete stands were located on the north side. The long ascent to the upper rows made the effort seem like a stratospheric climb. The students assembled in the wooden bleachers on the south side of the field. A huge concrete wall, since replaced by a chain-link fence, surrounded the grounds. Two wrought iron gates on the east and west ends of the province were the doorways to pleasure.
The high school bands would strike up the school's fight songs as the players approached the field from the then high school locker rooms a half block away. The players jogged to the field in cleated shoes and full uniform. Menominee teams usually preferred to suit up in home school surroundings and ride a bus to the field on game day.
The place was packed for Friday night and Saturday afternoon outings as athletic directors did their utmost to schedule home games when the "other" school was on the road, and football-hungry fans were eager to watch excitement no matter the playgrounds. In the days of independent slates it brought blue-ribbon teams like Wausau, Wis., Gary and Whiting, Ind., and Maywood and Wheaton, Ill., to town.
The field was dedicated Oct. 13, 1924, with a colorful parade starting at Dunlap Square. The first M&M game was played there on Armistice Day (Nov. 11) 1924 when 7,000 watched Marinette win 7-0. Marinette held a 12-10 edge in the series when the final game was played in 1972. There were scoreless ties in 1930 and 1946.
Lauerman Bros. Co., of local department store fame, gave the land to the community in the early 1920s. The facility was developed for $25,000, including the concrete stands for 2,300 spectators, a football field and a cinder track around the field. Marinette High School was the first in northeastern Wisconsin to engage in night football when lights were installed in 1935. Ten poles were erected, each with six lights. The lighting system cost $2,350.
An early morning fire on May 24, 1972, inflicted major damage to the storage area underneath the concrete stands and foredoomed the community landmark. The heat from the blaze was so intense it cracked a portion of the concrete structure and twisted a steel support beam. Safety and insurance coverage became a problem and the future of the field damned.
The fading of Lauerman doused a tangible link in local history. Its passing was like bulldozing a downtown landmark. The site may not now look like the sports hub it was, but to seniors like me it remains a museum of memories where a phalanx of athletes swept us off our feet.
• Joseph Albert Jacob Lauerman was an individual of interest in an article published in Menominee River Memories : Historical articles on Twin Cities history. By Howard L. Emich. 1977. On 21 Jan 2003 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States. 4
Menominee River Memories : Historical articles on Twin Cities history. by Howard L. Emich. 1977.
Indexed & compiled by Angie Wesch email@example.com
Copying of the files within by non-commercial individuals and libraries is encouraged. This message must appear on all copied files. Commercial copying must have permission.
Lauerman Joseph A J 18
Wisconsin Notable Men
FRANK J. LAUERMAN,
Merchant; Lauerman Bros.
JOSEPH A. J. LAUERMAN.
e-history's Sites Wisconsin-M
Lauerman, Joseph, House--Marinette (Marinette)
Wisconsin--Marinette, Marinette--Lauerman, Joseph, House Nick Name/Alias
Detail(s): The Primary Certification Status is 'Determined Eligible/Due Process'.
Places : Marinette, (Marinette) Wisconsin
Joseph married Amelia Bezio in 1892.1 (Amelia Bezio was born on 03 Nov 1872 in , , , Bohemia,15 died on 19 Mar 1894 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States 16 and was buried in 1894 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States 17.)
Joseph next married Cecelia Josephine Kellerman, daughter of Heinrich Eduard Franz Kellerman and Katharina Luber, on 14 Feb 1901 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States.2 (Cecelia Josephine Kellerman was born on 13 Aug 1871 in Juneau, Dodge, Wisconsin, United States 18, christened on 13 Aug 1871 in Watertown, Jefferson, Wisconsin, United States 19 and died on 17 Sep 1954 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States 19.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Joseph Albert Jacob Lauerman and Cecelia Josephine Kellerman were married Daily Eagle, Page 1 on 14 Feb 1901 in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin, United States. 20
LAUERMAN - KELLERMAN
Early Morning Wedding at Our Lady of Lourdes Church Today
LEAVE AMID RICE AND SHOES
Presents of Every Sort Showered
Upon Them by Well-wishing Friends
and Cordial Demonstration Follows
at the Train
Joseph A. J. Lauerman and Miss Cecilia Kellerman were married at half past six o'clock this morning at Our Lady of Lourdes church, by the Rev. Father Lochman.
The wedding was quiet and marked by simplicity throughout. A few friends had been bidden to the church and these followed the bride and groom to the train southbound and wished them well in unmistakable and eloquent demonstrations.
Miss Marie Louise Nadeau presided at the organ and the stirring notes of Lohengrin's wedding march followed the couple as they left the church. Miss Kellerman entered and approached the altar on the arm of the best man. Mr. John O'Connell, while Mr. Lauerman led the maid of honor, Miss Minerva Lynes.
After the ceremony the party with guests harried to the Northwestern depot and took the train at 7:40 for Milwaukee, where Mr. and Mrs. Lauerman will be the guests of Mr. Herman Benedict, a friend of the groom's in Milwaukee, and a gentleman well known in Marinette. After a few days with Mr. Benedict the young people will take a southern trip, visiting New Orleans, Memphis and Hot Springs, returning in three weeks to take up their home in the Flannigan residence on State street, which has been prepared for them with every comfort imaginable.
Presents From Many Friends
It would be hard to find a young couple in this city more showered with good wishes than Mr. and Mrs. Lauerman. Both well known and with friends by the score, both prominent in social and church circles, it is little to be wondered at that Mr. Lauerman's office, the new home on State street and the bride's home on Currie street are today literally overrunning with wedding gifts of all sorts, eloquent expressions of regard and affection from many friends in all quarters. A list of these gifts would be hard to prepare and long to read but when the young people come home and settle down their friends will have a chance to call and see these pleasant messengers of regard.
Mrs. Lauerman has for eight or ten years been active in social and church circles. A charming young lady in every ideal way, she has always been at the front in every move of a charitable nature and in her church connections was ever depended on when help was needed. For years she has leased her voice to choir work and her sweet singing has been heard on many occasions for charity or someone's benefit. It was indeed the unanimous testimony of Mr. Lauerman's friends at his bachelor dinner Saturday evening that he had been most fortunate in securing such a bride and the young lady must indeed been flattered if she heard of the eloquent and kindly toasts proposed to her on that occasion and blushingly admitted by the groom and applauded by the guests at the tables.
Fun at the Depot
The friends of the couple gathered in force at the train and the usual shower of castaway boots, shoes and the slippers, to say nothing of rice in liberal quantities, followed the couple onto and into the train. This pretty wedding and the kindly approval of so many friends on this St. Valentine's day proves beyond a doubt that the little fellow is still busy and consummating happy matches.
In an effort to show their regard for Mr. Lauerman the employees of the Savings Bank got together and presented him with a magnificent leather covered lounge and a Morris chair, as fine specimens of furniture maker's art as ever came to Marinette, while the Briney club, mindful that another chair was needed, presented the couple with a handsome leather chair, matched with the other gift. The Elks Lodge also presented a full outfit of solid spoons, knives and forks.
The bride wore a dress of gray broadcloth trimmed with chiffon and real lace and the maid of honor wore blue foulard trimmed with chiffon and black appliqué. Both the ladies wore black hats. The groom and his best man were attired in the conventional afternoon wedding clothes for gentlemen, frock coat, light striped trousers, etc.