Julianna Scrogin (E29)1
F, #1988, (bet. 1779 & 1783 - aft. 1837)
- Reference: [1988:] (SP:E29)
- Birth*: Bet. 1779 and 1783, MD.
- (Parents, daughter of Philip Jenkins Scrogin (D10) & Mary 'Polly' Keephart).
- Marriage*: 12 May 1813, Presley Self, Fayette Co, KY, *, 380300N0842700W.2
- Death*: Aft. 1837, probably Morgan Co, IL.3
- Birth of son: 16 Apr 1814, James Harvey Self (F136), Fayette Co, KY, or Gallatin Co, KY.3
- Birth of son: Bef. 1818, John Preston Self.3
- Birth of daughter: 9 Jun 1821, Mary Ann Self (F138), See obit.
- Obituary (Mother): Of Mary Ann Self (F138), Sep 1908
Death Record of Mary Ann Ragan
Daughter of Presley & Julianna Self. Died 9/15/1908. Recorded in Vol. 3,
Page 27. Age 87 yrs. 3 mos. 6 days. Born June 9, 1821 in Kentucky. Lived
in Illinois 77 years. Occupation: Housewife, Widow. Time of death: about
11:40 P.M. Place of death: Virginia, Illinois Place of Burial: Walnut Ridge
Cemetery Virginia, Illinois. Date of Buriel: Sept. 18, 1908. Undertaker: J.
E. Young, Virginia, Illinois. Cause of Death: Chronic Bronchitis, of 10
years duration. Witness: Sept. 19, 1908: C.M.Hubbard, Physician. Taken
from records in Cass County, Illinois Courthouse in Virginia, Illinois.
Note: She was married to William Ragan ca. 9 Nov. 1837 as the License was
issued on that date, but returned 13 Nov. 1837. This was not on death
Obituary of Mary Ann Self Ragan
"From an issue of the Virginia, Ill. Gazette newspaper", dated Friday, 18
Mary Ann Self was born near Lexington, Ky., 9 June, 1821, and died at the
home of her daughter, Mrs. Wm. Elliott, Tuesday night. (15th) Funeral
services were held last afternoon at the residence, Rev. Ben N. Mitchell
officiating and interment was in Walnut Ridge Cemetery. The pall-bearers
were John Ragan, Warren Watkins, Frank Reding, John Robinson, Wm. Robinson.
Those from a distance in attendance were: Mrs. A. C. Black, Peoria, Ill;
Mrs. Wm. Self, Mr. & Mrs. G. W. Thompson, Chas. Black, Mrs. Dr. Baxter,
Mrs. Ragan, James Self, Mrs. Maria Taylor, Mrs. John Hewitt, Mrs. A. J.
Weakly, Mrs. W. C. Self, all of Jacksonville; Mr. & Mrs. C. C. Self and
Mrs. McAllister of Woodson; Mrs. & Mrs. Albert Campbell, from Centerary.
The deceased removed to Morgan Co. with her parents ( Ed. Note: Presley and
Julianna Scroggins Self ) when about 10 years of age. At the age of 18,
she was married to Wm. Ragan at Jacksonville. To this union, 10 children
were born, seven of whom survive. They are Mrs. Wm. Elliott, Mrs. Frank
Reding of Virginia; Mrs. Melissa Robison of Peoria, Mrs. Kate Lacey of
LaSalle, and James, Luther and Chas. all of Peoria.
Soon after their marriage, the deceased and her late husband, united
with the Church of Christ at Princeton. The deceased remained an earnest
Christian throughout her life and was a great source of help to those in
need. She spent her declining years with her daughter and won hosts of
friends during her residence here by her goodness.
- Name Variation: Juliana Scroggins.
- Name Variation: Julianna (Julia Ann) Scrogin.
- Married Name: Juliana Self (Scrogin).
Children of Julianna Scrogin (E29) & Presley Self
- Relationship: 2nd cousin 1 time removed of Barton Scroggins (D23)
- Last Edited: 13 Sep 2004
- [S697] Fayette County, Kentucky Marriage Records, 1803-14, URL: http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/inddbs/5621.htm, Name: Presly Self; Spouse: Juliana Scroggins; Marriage Date: 12 May 1813; Jonathan Eads, B.; Of age.
- [S546] Virginia Marie Easley (K58), Database: "Virginia Easley DeMarce, 5635 North 25th Road, Arlington, VA 22207-1403, (703) 534-6829 as submitted in GEDCOM file E:DOWNLO~1GENEAL~1VEDEMA~1.GED and imported on 03/07/2001 at 12:53:49.", Date of Import: May 25, 2001.
- [S546] Virginia Marie Easley (K58), Database: "Virginia Easley DeMarce, 5635 North 25th Road, Arlington, VA 22207-1403, (703) 534-6829 as submitted in GEDCOM file E:DOWNLO~1GENEAL~1VEDEMA~1.GED and imported on 03/07/2001 at 12:53:49."