M, #45141, (1885 - )
- Reference: [45141:&] Add parents from son's obit
- Residence*: 12 Sep 1918, and Lela Westbrook, Tallassee, Elmore Co, AL.3
- Birth of son: 30 Oct 1918, Luther M. Scroggins, Elmore Co, AL.5
- !Census*: 1920 Census, Fairdealing Scroggins, Cat? Valley Road, Pct 19, Nenan, Elmore Co, AL, Indexed as "Faridealohhgs Gcroygins"
- Birth of son: 23 Sep 1925, Jesse J. Scroggins, Tallassee, Elsmore Co, AL.1,7
- Obituary (Father): Of Luther M. Scroggins, aft. 30 Nov 2006, Find-a-Grave.8
- Obituary (Deceased Father): Of Jesse J. Scroggins, 12 Nov 2007, Vindicator, Youngstown, OH, Add kids & more siblings.1
- Name Variation: F. D. Scroggins.8
Children of Fairdealing Scroggins & Lela Westbrook
- Last Edited: 23 Oct 2010
- [S2169] Youngstown Vindicator
, Jesse J. Scroggins, Sr., 12 Nov 2007.
Jesse J. Scroggins Sr., 82
MANSFIELD – A funeral service celebrating the life of Mr. Jesse J. Scroggins Sr., 82, formerly of Youngstown, will be celebrated Wednesday at 12 p.m. at Tabernacle Baptist Church .
Mr. Scroggins was born Sept. 23, 1925 in Tallassee, Elsmore County, Ala., a son of Fairdealing and Lela Westbrook Scroggins, and came to the valley many years ago.
He was a member of the U.S. Army, serving from 1943 until 1946, and was formerly employed as a stocker with U.S. Steel, Ohio Works, retiring after 33 years of service. He was a member of United Steel Workers of America.
Mr. Scroggins was a member of the church, where he attended Sunday school, volunteered with the After School Program and participated in the Brotherhood. He was a precinct committee man in the first ward for several years.
He leaves to cherish his memory his loving wife, the former Betty Jacobs, whom he married May 29, 1949; four sons, Ronald (Nola) of Houston, Texas, Jesse Jr. of Youngstown, Wendell of York, Pa., and Larry (Donna) Scroggins of Hampton, Va.; his one daughter, Wanda (Darren) Boatwright of Mansfield; four sisters, Louise Buckhanon of Birmingham, Ala., Ruth Cristobal of Tallassee, Ala., Mariam (Larry) Bartley of Bellhaven, N.C., and JoAnn Banks of Tallassee; four brothers, John P. (Janie) of Charleston, N.C., Stephen of Baltimore, Md., Frank (Lula) of Youngstown, and Nehemiah of Birmingham; seven grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and a host of other relatives and dear friends.
He was preceded in death by his parents; three sisters, Elizabeth Scroggins, his twin, Bessie Scroggins, and Jeanette Davidson; and two of his brothers, David and Luther Scroggins.
Friends may call on Tuesday from 3 to 6 p.m. at Washington Funeral Home. The family will receive friends Wednesday one hour prior to services at the church.
Interment will be in Belmont Park Cemetery.
- [S5] Birth and name information from census and other records:1930: Age 43 (1 Apr 1876-1Apr 1877), AL, Fa:AL, Mo:AL.
- [S2261] World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918, URL: http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=6482&enc=1, Name: Fairdealins Scroggins
City: Not Stated
Birth Date: 3 Mar 1885
- [S4] Marriage information from census and other records:1930: F. D., age 43 (1 Apr 1886-1 Apr 1887, married at 30 (1 Apr 1916-1 Apr 1918)
1930: Leila, age 31 (1 Apr 1898-1 Apr 1899, married at 17 (1 Apr 1915-1 Apr 1917)
Married before registering for draft, 12 Sep 1918
Most likely 1 Apr 1917-1 Apr 1918.
- [S70] Ancestry.com, General search results, URL: www.ancestry.com, :
U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946Name: Luther M Scroggins
Birth Year: 1918
Race: Negro, citizen (Black)
Nativity State or Country: Alabama
County or City: Elmore
Enlistment Date: 18 Oct 1940
Enlistment State: Alabama
Enlistment City: Montgomery
Branch Code: Infantry
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the Panama Canal Department
Component: Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life
Education: 4 years of high school
Civil Occupation: Automobile Serviceman
Marital Status: Single, without dependents
- [S2440] 1920 Federal Census, National Archives, T-625, Roll 14, ED 92, Sheet 6A, (29Jan 1920)
Ancestry Images Online: ALT625_14-1166
Dwelling, 102, Family, 104, Head: Fairdealings Scroggins63. Scroggins, Isaac E., Head, w,m,Sep 1859,40,m,17, TN, NC, NC, Carpenter
64. -----, Olivia O., Wife, w,f,Oct 1865,34,m,17,6 children, 6 living, TX, GA, GA
65. -----, Minnie, Daughter, w,f,Sep 1883,16,s, AR, TN, TX, at school
66. -----, Nannie, Daughter, w,f,June 1885,14,s, AR, TN, TX, at school
67. -----, Jessie L., Daughter, w,f,Apr 1888,12,s, AR, TN, TX, at school
68. -----, Ruby R., Daughter, w,f,Mar 1890,10,s, AR, TN, TX, at school
69. -----, Fred, Son, w,m,Sep 1894,5,s, AR, TN, TX
70. -----, Isaac E., Son, w,m,Jan 1897,3,s, AR, TN, TX
71. Kennedy, Will S., Boarder, w,m,Aug 1874,25,s, TN, KY, TN, Brakeman.
- [S44] Social Security Death Index (Ancestry.com), URL: http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/vital/ssdi/main.htm, Name: Jesse J. Scroggins
Last Residence: 44901 Mansfield, Richland, Ohio
Born: 23 Sep 1925
Died: 8 Nov 2007
State (Year) SSN issued: Alabama (Before 1951 ).
- [S2262] Find A Grave, URL: http://www.findagrave.com, Luther M. ScrogginsBirth: unknown
Death: Nov. 30, 2006
Saint James Cemetery
Havre de Grace
Record added: Dec 5 2006
By: Russ Pickett.
Son of F. D. and Lela Scroggins.
Husband of Willie Ree Guary.
Father of Luther Scroggins, Jr., Betty Oswald, Dorothy Ballard, Hilliard Scroggins.
He was educated in the public school system and gave his life to Christ at an early age at the Flat Rock Baptist Church.
After moving to Aberdeen, Md., he joined the Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church under the pastorate of Rev. Milton C. Phillips. He was an active and faithful member. He taught Sunday School and was very involved with the youth. After a time, he became a Trustee and worked diligently until his health failed.
He spent a tour of duty in the U. S. Army and spent the remainder of his working years at the Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md. where he retired as shift supervisor. Bro. Scroggins was an involved parent and worked with the Boy Scouts under Scout Master Bernard Christy. He also worked with his wife who was a den mother for nine years. He was a member of VFW Post 6054, Aberdeen, Md. and a member of the National Association of Retired Federal Employees, Chapter 1522, Havre de Grace, Md.