Mrs. Hendry Scroggin1

F, #49632, (c 1873 - )
  • Reference: [49632:0]


  • Birth*: Ca. 1873.1


  • Residence*: 14 Oct 1959, College Street, Centre, Cherokee Co, AL.1
  • Last Edited: 11 Oct 2009


  1. [S2747] Rome News-Tribune, Rome, GA
         50 Years Ago This Week, 11 Oct 2009
    Wednesday, Oct. 14, 1959

    Neighbors save elderly invalid from home blaze

    CENTRE, Ala. – An 86-year-old invalid woman was rescued by neighbors this morning when fire broke out in her home on College Street.

    Mrs. Hendry Scroggin, confined to her chair by illness, was brought from her flaming room by Mrs. Charles S. Masters and Mrs. Opal Cupp, who live in an apartment in the same building, after they heard her screams for help.

    Ernest Brandon, acting fire chief, said the blaze was caused when a rug caught fire from a gas heater. The blaze spread to a mantel, on which a bottle of rubbing alcohol was kept, and it exploded, the chief reported. Centre firemen were able to confine the blaze to the one room and there was only minor damage.

    Mrs. Scroggin, suffering from shock, was treated by her physician.