Mary (Polly) Tatum1
F, #54, (c 1804 - )
- Reference: [54:L]
- Birth*: Ca. 1804, GA?
- Birth: Ca. 1803, GA.
- (Parents, daughter of ? Tatum).
- Marriage*: 19 Jun 1820, Prior Scroggins (E62), Madison Co, IL.2
- Marr-Est. Date: 19 Mar 1836 or 20 Mar 1836, Gardner Thurston, Macoupin Co, IL.3
- Death*: , Madison Co, IL.
- Burial*: Aft. 1866?, Dees Cemetery, Near Staunton, Macoupin Co, IL
- Birth of daughter: 26 May 1821, Emilene? Scroggins (F143), Madison Co, IL.
- Birth of daughter: Bet. Jun 1821 and Jan 1822, Malinda Scroggins (F117), Madison Co, IL.5,6
- Birth of daughter: 16 Oct 1822, Ann Scroggins (F139), Madison Co, IL.
- Birth of daughter: 5 May 1823, Sarah Ellen Scroggins (F140), Madison Co?, IL, *, 38500On0895400W.7,8
- Birth of son: Bet. Aug 1825 and Nov 1825, Jackson Scroggins (F141), Madison Co, IL.9
- Birth of son: Bet. Nov 1826 and May 1827, Anderson Scroggins (F142), Madison Co?, IL, *, 38500On0895400W.10,11,12
- Birth of son: 31 May 1828, William Scroggins (F118), Macoupin Co, IL.
- Birth of child: Ca. 1830, 8th Child Of Prior Scroggins (F202), Macoupin Co, IL.
- !Census (Poss. Wife): 1830 Possible Wife in the household of Prior Scroggins (E62), Madison Co, IL, "Pryor Scroggins."13
- Birth of child: Ca. 1832, 9th Child Of Prior Scroggins (F203), Macoupin Co, IL.
- Census (Prob. Wife): 1840 Census, Probable Wife in the household of Gardner Thurston, "Garden Thurston", Omphghent Twp, Madison Co, IL.14
- Census (Prob. Wife): 1850 Census, Probable Wife in the household of Gardner Thurston, "Gardner Thurston", Twp 6, Range 7, Madison Co, IL.15
- Biography (Ancestor): Ancestor of Eunice Eugenia Jones (J660),
"My earliest Macoupin County ancesters were Prior and Mary (called Polly)
who were natives of Tennessee (Grainger & Dickson Cos.) and
came to West Prairie in 1820."16
- Related* (Wife): Related: Sister.17
- Name Variation: Mary (Polly) Ann Tatum.
- Married Name: Mary (Polly) Thurston (Tatum).
- Married Name: Mary (Polly) Scroggins (Tatum).
Children of Mary (Polly) Tatum & Prior Scroggins (E62)
- Emilene? Scroggins (F143) (26 May 1821 - 3 Apr 1880); Emilene was probably NOT a daughter of Prior and Mary
- Malinda Scroggins (F117)+ (bet. Jun 1821 and Jan 1822 - 20 Feb 1869)
- Ann Scroggins (F139)+ (16 Oct 1822 - 29 Nov 1892)
- Sarah Ellen Scroggins (F140)+ (5 May 1823 - 11 Jan 1877)
- Jackson Scroggins (F141) (bet. Aug 1825 and Nov 1825 - 7 Feb 1848)
- Anderson Scroggins (F142)+ (bet. Nov 1826 and May 1827 - 11 Aug 1885)
- William Scroggins (F118)+ (31 May 1828 - 18 Feb 1884)
- 8th Child Of Prior Scroggins (F202) (ca. 1830 - )
- 9th Child Of Prior Scroggins (F203) (ca. 1832 - )
- Last Edited: 27 Mar 2016
- [S212] IL Marriage Index, URL: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/cgi-bin/archives/…, Groom: SCROGGINS, PRYOR, Bride: TATIM, POLLY, County: MADISON, Date: 06/29/1820, Vol/Page: 006/0007, Lic.: 00000255.
- [S212] IL Marriage Index, URL: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/cgi-bin/archives/…, Groom: THURSTON, GARDNER, Bride: SCROGGINS, MARY, County: MACOUPIN, Date: 03/20/1836, Vol/Page: 1/, Lic.: 232.
- [S1] Letter.
- [S1] Age estimate: 15-20 in 1840 census; 28 in 1850 census; 38 in 1860 census; 41 in pension declaration of 17 Apr 1863; parents married Jun 1820; sister Ann born 16 Oct 1822; most likely born between Jun 1821 and Jan 1822.
- [S655] Pension application of Malinda Scroggins Webb Malinda Scroggins (F117) based military service of Benjamin F. Webb (National Archives).
- [S750] Jill Secoy, comp, Small Southern, Macoupin Co, IL, Cemeteries, II, Wayne Cem 3; "Simmons, [Snowden] w/ Sarah E (Scroggins), 5 May 1823-11 Jan 1877."
- [S5] Birth and name information from census and other records:Grave says 5 May 1823, but sister Ann was born 16 Oct 1822
1850: Not found
1860: Age 36 (1 Jun 123-1 Jun 1824), IL
1870: Not found.
- [S5] Birth and name information from census and other records:1828 May 31: William born; Anderson in between, do Jackson probably born not later than 1 Dec 1826
1847 May 20 & Jun 2: Age 21 (2 Jun 1825-20 May 1826) (Enlisted & mustered in).
- [S35] "Notes taken by Maurice Elbert Scroggins in conversation with Dorothy Driemeyer, Edwardsville, IL, 5 Nov 1967 & Other Documents,", Maurice E. Scroggins (H589) quoted Dorothy Scroggins Driemeyer (H602)
as saying her father and grandfather were born in Staunton;
Staunton was in Madison Co until 1829.
- [S5] Birth and name information from census and other records:1828 May 31: William born, Anderson most likely before 1 Sep 1827
1846 Jun 12: Age 19 (12 Jun 1826-12 Jun 1827) (Muster in)
1850: Not found
1860: Not found
1864 Sep 14: Age 37 (14 Sep 1826-14 Sep 1827) (Muster in)
1865 Jul 14: Age 37 (14 Jul 1827-14 Jul 1828), IL (Discharge)
1870: Age 43 (1 Jun 1826-1 Jun 1827), IL
1880: Age 50 (1 Jun 1829-1 Jun 1830), IL, Fa:AL, Mo:GA
- [S2262] Find A Grave, URL: http://www.findagrave.com, Anderson Scroggins, 4 Sep 2011Anderson Scroggins
Death: Aug. 11, 1885
Des Moines County
Many secondary sources show Anderson's birthdate as May 1827, but there does not appear to be any primary documentation for that. Age information in census and military records varies, but May 1827 is possible. He was almost certainly born in Madison County, Illinois, possibly in the southeast part of the area that became Macoupin County in 1829.
Anderson died at the Des Moines County Poor Farm in Union Township about three weeks after becoming ill while passing though Burlington on his way north. In 1895 the Poor Farm overseer and doctor reported the date of death as "on or about August 12, 1885." Cemetery records indicate that he died on August 11 and was buried on August 12.
Anderson was the son of Prior Scroggins and Mary Ann Tatum Scroggins Thurston. Prior is said to have died in Alton, IL, in 1833; nothing is known about where he might have been buried. Mary died, probably in southeastern Macoupin County, IL, sometime after 1860. Some researchers believe she may have been buried in the former Dees Cemetery, destroyed in or after the 1920s.
Anderson was a veteran of both the Mexican and Civil Wars. His first wife, Ellen Gaskill, is believed to have died in the fall of 1857, probably in east-central Madison or southeastern Macoupin County, Illinois. Her place of burial is unknown, but possible near Olly Scroggins near the front of the oldest section of the Staunton (IL) City Cemetery. His second wife, Catherine Bachelor, who received a pension based on his Mexican War service, died in 1919 and is buried in St. Charles, MO.
[Updated 21 Jan 2012]
ulian Elbert Scroggins (1856 - 1933)J
William Anderson Scroggins (1868 - 1944)
John Pryor Scroggins (1874 - 1947)
Aspen Grove Cemetery
Des Moines County
Plot: Block 272, Lot 18, Grave 12
GPS (lat/lon): 40.8263, -91.12114
Created by: John M. Scroggins
Record added: Sep 04, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 75975024.
- [S83] 1830 Federal Census, National Archives M19, Roll 25, Page 193
* Ancestry Images Online: M19_25\ILM19_25-0385.sid, http://www.ancestry.com/ancestry/pagesecurity/imageview.asp
- [S84] 1840 Federal Census, National Archives M704, Roll 64
* Ancestry Images Online: M704_64\ILM704_64-0219.sid, http://www.ancestry.com/ancestry/pagesecurity/imageview.asp
- [S85] 1850 Federal Census, National Archives M432, Roll 119
* Ancestry Images Online: M432\119ILM432_119-0217.sid
- [S53] USGenWeb, Site: Macoupin Co, IL, Title: "My Earliest Macoupin County Ancestors," by Eunice E. (Jones) Salter, in News From Macoupin County Genealoigical Society, by Cindy Leonard, URL: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~ilmacoup/m_news.htm
- [S9] Ellen DalPozzo (Ellen Marie Salter), Scroggins, p. 2.