Sedgebrook - Lincolnshire Topography & Directories.
Topography and Directories.



White's Directory 1872 for Lincolnshire.

Sedgebrook, a pleasant village, near the confluence of two rivulets, on the Bingham road, 4 miles W.N.W. of Grantham, has a station on the Grantham and Nottingham branch of the Great Northern Railway. Its parish contains 245 souls and 1461A 3R 3P of fertile land, nearly all the property of Sir John Thorold, the Lord of the Manor, which anciently belonged to the Markhams. When Sir Thomas Cook, Lord Mayor of London was arraigned for high treason on a charge of having supplied Margaret of Anjou with money during the wars of the Roses, his life and lands were saved by Judge Markham directing the jury to find it only misprision of treason. This so offended Edward IV, that the honest Chief Justice was ousted from office and lived privately during the rest of his life


Near the village is a strong chalbeate spring. The school was rebuilt in 1820, by the trustees of the charity of Dame Margaret Thorold, who in 1718 bequeathed property for the foundation of schools, at Sedgebrook, Marston and Syston, and for other charitable purposes, in these parishes, and Cranwell, Quarrington, Rauceby and Silk Willoughby. The property belonging to this charity consists of money invested in the 3 per cents., and an inn, with 30A 34P of land, in Silk Willoughby. It produced only 197 until 1837, when the Charity Commissioners caused it to be valued and certified the charity to the Attorney-General, for the purposes of settling a new scheme for the future administration of the charity, and the appointment of trustees. The new scheme for Thorld's Charity was established in 1846, and under it the trustees now pay yearly 65 to each of the free schools at Marston and Sedgebrook, for the instruction of poor boys; 30 to Syston schoolmistress; 20 each for apprenticing two poor boys of Marston and one of Sedgebrook; 15 for apprenticing a poor boy of Cranwell; 27.10s to be distributed in flour among the poor of Sedgebrook; 16.10s among the poor of Syston; 10 each to South Rauceby and Silk Willoughby; for distribution among the poor of those parishes; and 5 each to Quarrington and North Rauceby, for the poor. The residue of the income which is now in all about 500 a year, is applied in repairing the charity premises, providing stationery for the schools &c. But proposals for a new distribution of the funds are now before the Endowed Schools Commissioners, which, if carried out, will materially alter the above.

Sir J.H. Thorold, Bart., and others, are the trustees.

Whites Gazetteer 1842.
John Allen - Tea Dealer;
Mary Allen - Vict. Red Cow;
Wm Handley - Shopkeeper;
Thomas Caunt & Joseph Symonds - Shoemakers;
John Noutch - Joiner;
Thomas Richards - Schoolmaster;
George Robinson - Miller;
Wm Handley & Wm Schofield - Carriers;
Edmd Brewster, John & James Lee, Wm Shipman, John & Jas Wing (Hall), Joseph Ward - Farmers.


History, Gazetteer & Directory of Lincolnshire 1856
John Allen, vict. Red Cow.
George Bartholomew, station master.
Thos. Caunt, boot and shoe maker.
Samuel Fulkett, schoolmaster.
Ann Handley, shopkeeper.
John Jackson, wheelwright &c.
Jph Symons boot & shoe maker.
Rev Alfd. Wm. Wilson M.A. Rectory
Farmers
Wm Monks, Sedgebrook Hall,
Geo Robinson
Mrs Robinson
Edm Brewster
Richard Robinson, corn miller

Kellys Directory of Lincolnshire 1896
Rev. Thomas Cranmer Ewbank B.A. [Curate in charge]. The Rectory.
Frank Upton M.A. Headmaster Middle Class School.
Henry Auckland, coal merchant.
John Bromhead, farm bailiff to Sir John Henry Thorold bart.
Hugh and Joseph Challands, brick makers.
Mrs Lydia Dennis, cow keeper.
Jn Jackson, wheelwight & shopkeeper.
George Kemp, farmer, The Hall.
George Wilkinson, blacksmith.
William Wormsley, carrier.
Andrew Handley, sub-postmaster
Miss Eliza Harrison, mistress at the Public Elementary School.
James Wilderspin, station master


Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1913
Rev. Thomas Cranmer Ewbank B.A. (Curate in charge). The Rectory.
Frank Upton M.A. Headmaster Public Secondary School.
G.W.Preston M.A. assistant master,
T.J.Stokes. assistant master,
J.A.Pocock (art) assistant master,
H Stevenson assistant master,F.I.C.
Wm Jackson (mngr)
Lydia Dennis, (Mrs), cowkeeper.
Ernest Davies, blacksmith.
Mrs Lydia Dennis, cowkeeper.
Richard Jackson. shopkpr & sub-postmaster.
Hugh and Joseph Challands, brick makers.
Thomas Wm Jackson, mngr
Jn Jackson, wheelwight.
Mrs A Coupland, Mistress of the Public Elementary School.
Farmers
J.H.Draper, Sedgebrook
Henry Lamin, Sedgebrook
Josiah Staples, Sedgebrook
Richd Jackson, Sedgebrook,
John Jackson, Sedgebrook.
John & Joseph W. Bee.
Yarrad Samuel, The Hall.

Return to top of page

Home Page, - 1841 Census, - 1851 Census, - 1861 Census, - 1871 Census, - 1891 Census & Strays, - 1901 Census, - 1911 Census,-

Church of St Lawrence, - Wills, - Names from the Parish Register & M.I.'s, - Newspaper Reports, - Memorial Inscriptions, - Notice Board & Contacts, -

Stray Marriages of Sedgebrook Inhabitants, - Married in Sedgebrook, found elsewhere, - Militia List, - Letters from Jamaica, - Sedgebrook School, -

Turney Family, - Newspaper BMD & Wills & Obits, Quarter Sessions Sedgebrook Manor House.