Moved to Burlington in 1855 from New York. After the war he was engaged in farming, fruit raising, and was in the nursery business for 21 years. He moved in 1892 to 814 South 14th street.
When the war broke out Mr. Calkins was in Cape Giradeau, MO and an effort was made to force him into the Confederate Army, but he evaded them and returned to Burlington. In July 1861 he enlisted in the home guards in Union township, and on the 10th of October of the same year he enlisted at Burlington in Company K, Fourteenth Iowa Infantry as a private, serving until Feb 1863. He was in the battle of Shiloh with the brigade, which was styled by the rebel General Johnston, the “Hornets’ Nest Brigade.” He was afterward sick in Atlanta and was taken from there dead, as it was supposed. The car, thought to contain the dead was sidetracked; but it was discovered that life was not extinct in Mr. Calkins, and he was taken to the hospital. He was in several hospitals and prisons ending up at Libby. He was paroled, mustered out and honorably discharged. In 1864 he enlisted in the State militia at Burlington, and was made lieutenant under Captain Comstock.
His uncle was called the father of Abolitionism, and wrote a book called “Rankin’s Letters on Slavery,” by which Wendell Phillips and William Lloyd Garrison were converted to Abolitionism. The uncle was a Presbyterian minister, and gave most of the characters in Uncle Tom’s Cabin to Harriet Beecher Stowe, and it was at his home in Ripley on the Ohio River where Eliza Harris, of the book, sought refuge.
In 1852 he built a bakeshop on Main Street next to the Pauly house. He then moved to North Third Street and then finally to Jefferson Street. He was not a soldier in the Civil War, though he was in Vicksburg for about four months baking for the Thirty-fourth Iowa Infantry.
Moved to Burlington in 1867 and helped build the railroad bridge across the Mississippi River, Burlington High School, and the Keokuk Canal. He lived at 1410 Grove Street at the time of his death.
He joined the Sixteenth Wisconsin Infantry when the war broke out. At the battle of Shiloh, he helped to cut a ditch from the Mississippi River into Lake Providence to flood the country. Under General Logan he assisted to build Fort Ransom and to tunnel under Fort Hill. He was at Vicksburg to see General McPherson raise the stars and stripes on the courthouse there.
Moved to Burlington at the close of the war where he entered into the drug business for thirty-six years.
In May 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Second Kentucky Infantry and served until June 1864. Battles he was involved in were; Barbersville, the fighting along Kanawha River, numerous skirmishes under General Cox along the western slope of the Alleghany Mountains, Shiloh as a member of Nelson’s Division, Perrysville, Nashville, and Stone River.
Enlisted at Harrisburg, Pa. In Company E, Seventeenth Pennsylvania Cavalry and served until July 1865. He was a member of the Army of the Potomac and participated in many battles in the defense of Washington.
He was one of the bodyguards of Abraham Lincoln for six months, acting as guard during Lincoln’s trips in the country.
Came to America from Germany in May 1861 locating first in Port Jervis, N.Y., then moving to Burlington and also Wisconsin. After the war he moved to Des Moines County and became a successful farmer in Huron Township.
Enlisted in Company D, Fifth Wisconsin Infantry and was assigned to the Army of the Potomac. Battles he participated in were; Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Rappahannock, Mine Run, the Wilderness, Spotsylvania Courthouse, North Anna River, Hanover Courthouse, Cold Harbor, Edward’s Ferry, Snicker’s Gap, Belleville, Winchester, and Hedges Run.
At Cold Harbor his bayonet was struck with a bullet, which split and cut his face to some extent.
Moved to Burlington in 1870 and purchased an interest in the Murray Iron Works. He was President of the company until succeeded by his son.
Engaged in the organization of the Eleventh Infantry at Fort Independence, Boston Harbor, Mass. He was twice brevetted for gallant and meritorious conduct. Battles involved in were; Hanover Court House, Mechanicsville, Gaines Mill, Harrison’s Landing, second Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Antietam, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg among many others. He served as an aide-de-camp on staffs of General George Sykes and General G. K. Warren after May 1864. In 1865 he was detached from his regiment and placed in charge of the city of Richmond and two counties for reconstruction purposes, remaining on duty there for three and a half years.
Moved to Macomb, Illinois in 1857. He became a teller at T. M. Jordan’s Bank in Macomb after the war, before moving to Burlington in 1880. He was a storekeeper with Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy Railroad until 1884. At that time he became the bookkeeper of the Burlington Lumber Company.
On May 24, 1861 he was mustered into Company A, 14th Illinois Infantry. He was detached at Canton, MO. as a hospital steward for the General Hospital in Tipton, Mo. At the battle of Shiloh he was assigned to the charge of the hospital of the 7th Iowa Infantry, and later to the military hospital of the steamboat “Louisiana.” He then was ordered to report as division hospital steward of the 6th Division, 17th Army Corps, and served there until 1863 when Grant ordered him to report as steward-in-chief of Officers’ Hospital at Memphis. He was wounded at the battle of Iuka by a sword thrust through the hand, and lost his hearing at the Camp Hospital of the 7th Iowa Infantry at Shiloh by the planting of siege guns within 60 rods of the hospital tent.
He was orphaned at a young age and bound himself to a merchant tailor for a period of eight years. After 4 years he removed to Des Moines County in 1841. He worked as a journeyman until the Texan war and enlisted in a company under Capt. Hight and went to New Orleans. After returning to Burlington he remained until the spring of 1847, when he enlisted in the 15th United States Infantry, Company K, for the Mexican War. He was mustered out at Covington, Ky., August 25,1848, as Orderly Sergeant. After returning from the Mexican War he began the study of dentistry under Dr. Garner, which he followed for 14 years.
At the outbreak of the Civil War, Gov. Kirkwood as First Lieutenant of Company E of the 1st Iowa Infantry appointed Mr. Abercrombie. After arriving in the field, he was relieved by General Lyon and was assigned Captain of the command. The company engaged in battle at Dug Springs, McCollough’s Store and Wilson’s Creek. After serving his time he was mustered out, but Gov. Kirkwood soon after commissioned him as Major of the 11th Iowa Infantry. He participated in Pittsburg Landing and the Battle of Shiloh. He was wounded in the head on the first day at the Battle of Shiloh. He also participated in battles at Iuka, Vicksburg, and Atlanta. At Atlanta he was wounded in his right side by a piece of shell. He was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and then to Colonel, but was not mustered out as such, his regiment being so reduced that there was not the required number of men. In 1869 the Colonel became totally blind from the hardships of his army life, and the Government gave him a pension of $72 per month.
Mr. Spatch started working at the age of nine at a shipyard in New Bedford, Mass. He served a regular apprenticeship in the ship-carpenters trade, spent three years at sea and received a certificate as a first-class engineer and ship-carpenter. He moved to Galesburg, Illinois in 1866 and worked for the Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy Railroad Company. In 1880 he moved to Burlington and worked for the Burlington Supply Company and was Superintendent of the works.
He enlisted in October 1861 as a member of Company C, 11th Illinois Cavalry, was regularly promoted from the ranks to Captain, and served under Grant at the siege of Ft. Donelson, Ft. Henry, battle of Shiloh, siege of Vicksburg, and Island No. 10, and was with Sherman in the historic March to the Sea. He had three ribs shot out of his left side at Shiloh, and had a leg twice broken by a shell at the battle of Pea Ridge. After being wounded and left on the field of battle, he crawled into the woods, cut two crutches, and with their help made his way a distance of three miles to a place of refuge. He was mustered out July 31, 1865.