Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

ABBEY, Sergeant A W, NZ Engineers - Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (London Gazette, 6 Sept 1915) for conspicuous gallantry, ability and resource on 2 May, 1915, near Gaba Tepe, Dardanelles. During the operations on this date and subsequently Sergeant Abbey especially distinguished himself by his zeal and bravery in command of a party engaged in entrenching under a very heavy fire. He showed a fine power of command and by his coolness and courage set a splendid example to all under him. [AWN 20.04.1916]

ABBOTT, Private E T, 3rd, Auckland, Infantry Co, is the third son of Mr. & Mrs. R T Abbott, Milton Rd, Auckland. He served with the NZ advance party at Samoa. On returning he joined the fifth reinforcements and took part in the fighting at Gallipoli during August and September. He was admitted to Pout de Koubbeh Hospital, suffering from injured hands and has since rejoined his regiment. [AWN 20.01.1916]

ABBOT, Lance Corporal Kenneth Ferris, reported died of wounds, is the second son of Mr. & Mrs. R T Abbot, Milton Rd, Mt Eden. He and a younger brother were members of the advance party, which occupied Samoa. After some months' service there they returned to NZ and went to Egypt with a reinforcement draft. Lance Corporal Abbot was wounded during the heavy fighting on Gallipoli in August last year and after some time in hospital in England he rejoined his regiment, 3rd, Auckland, Infantry and has been serving in France for some time past. [AWN 19.10.1916]

ACLAND, Captain L D, M.C., Military Cross, left with the rank of Lieutenant in the Army Service Corps, with the main body. [AWN 20.01.1916]

ACLAND, Major Leo G D, Christchurch, well known NZ sportsman, has not been wounded as was officially stated in the hospital list published yesterday but was invalided to England from France because the stump of his arm, which he lost while tiger hunting in India, was giving him trouble. An operation was performed on the nerves and according to the message received, he is making satisfactory progress. [AWN 07.12.1916]

ADAMS, Air Mechanic F L, who was announced in yesterday's casualty list as being a prisoner of war, is a son of Mr. F L Adams of Simeon St, Addington. He was born at Sydenham and attended the Sydenham school and is 23 years of age. He was present at the operations on Bagdad and took part in the fighting at Ctesiphon. He was in Kut-el-Amars with General Townshend's force when it surrendered. [AWN 27.07.1916]

ADAMS, Four sons of Mr. Colin Adams of High St, Auckland, have borne their part in the Great War. One joined the main body of the Expeditionary Force as a member of the15th, North Auckland, Regiment and laid down his life at Gallipoli. Another, Jack ADAMS, left with an early reinforcement draft and is now in hospital, wounded. The third Charles is serving with the Queensland Cavalry. The eldest son, George has just gone into camp, while a fifth son, yet under military age, is restive to get away and add further luster to his family's patriotic record. [AWN 30.11.1916]

AIMER, Mr. G V, of Auckland, now has a commission in the Royal Flying Corps. Since qualifying as pilot he has been instructing in aviation at the London Provincial Aviation Co's School, pending the decision of the War Office. Mr. Aimer arrived in October last. [AWN 01.06.1916]

ALEXANDER, Private Henry C, who was reported wounded, was born at Matakohe, Kaipara, and educated at Avondale and New Lynn. He is 22 years of age. A twin brother is serving as an A.B. on HMS Pyramus. His father is a resident of Raupo, Northern Wairoa. Private Alexander followed dairying and agricultural pursuits for some time prior to enlisting for active service. [AWN 24.08.1916]

ALGIE, Captain C S, killed in action, was second assistant at the Rotorua District High School prior to enlisting in the early stage of the war. His father was postmaster at Queenstown, Lake Wakatipu. Captain Algie was always enthusiastic in military affairs and held a commission in the territorial force. He was married but a few months before the war broke out and leaves a widow and infant son. [AWN 03.08.1916]

ALGIE, Captain C S, who was killed in action some time ago, was a brother in law of Bombarder Corlett, son of Mr. B S Corlett, Rotorua. [AWN 09.11.1916

ALLAN, Private James E W, who has died of wounds, was the elder son of Mrs. E L Allan of Home St, Archhill. He was 21 years of age. He went through the heavy hostilities at Gallipoli. He was incapacitated with dysentery and he afterwards contracted scarlet fever. He was on active service in France for four months before he died. He was well known at Thames, Piha, West Coast and New Lynn and was a boxer and footballer. [AWN 12.10.1916]

ALLEN, Major Robert Candlish, who was reported wounded on 3 July, has now rejoined his regiment. His wife is Mrs. J T Allen, Annandale, Piako. [AWN 20.07.1916]

ANDERSON, Sergeant J G, reported killed in action, was the eldest son of Mr. John Anderson of Dundee, Scotland. He was 32 years of age. As a youth he enlisted in the 42nd Black Watch in which regiment he served in India and elsewhere for a number of years. On his resignation from the army he came to NZ and settled in the Bay of Plenty district where he was engaged for the last five years in farming pursuits. He has two brothers in the firing line. [AWN 09.11.1916]

ANNAN, Gunner W G F, who was recently reported as wounded, is the eldest son of Captain Peter John Annan who is well known in Auckland and who is now the proprietor of the Railway Hotel at Port Ahuriri. Gunner Annan was educated at Newton East School and afterwards learned the carpentering trade. He lived for some time at Napier. [AWN 13.07.1916]

APPLETON, Private Lewis, fifth son of the late Mr. John Appleton - who was one of Opotiki's earliest settlers and himself fought in the Maori war and Mrs. Appleton of Marlborough St, Mt Eden, has been wounded. His brother Charles was killed at Cape Helles last year and two of his brothers served in the Boer War. [AWN 14.09.1916]

ARMSTRONG, Trooper Robert Vernon, who died of enteric at Malta on December 12 last, was the fifth son of Mr. G Armstrong, Mayor of Akaroa. He was educated at the Akaroa High School, on leaving which he took up farming under his father. Athletic, he was a prominent member of local boating, football, cricket and hockey clubs and being amiable in disposition he was popular with his club comrades and with his many acquaintances. He joined the sixth reinforcements with his younger brother, Lincoln. [AWN 20.01.1916]

ARNOLD, Private F P, son of Mr. F R Arnold of Otahuhu, who was lately wounded at the front, is progressing well. [AWN 17.08.1916]

ATKINS, Sergeant A A, Canterbury Battalion - Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on August 7, 1915, during the attack on Chunuk Bair. While advancing up a narrow gully with precipitous sides, his battalion suddenly came on a strongly defended post, which barred the way and from which a heavy rifle fire was directed on the head of the column. Sergeant Atkins, getting his section in hand, without hesitation rushed the position, captured and held it. He displayed great bravery and coolness and set a splendid example to all with him. [AWN 13.01.1916]

ATKINS, Sergeant Major A A, of Northcote, who returned invalided from the front on Tuesday, has won the coveted distinction of having the Distinguished Conduct Medal conferred upon him. He left NZ with the main Expeditionary Force as a private in the Canterbury Infantry Battalion. He took part in the historic landing at Gallipoli and stayed there until November 1914, when he received a shell wound in the thigh. He also received flesh wounds in August of last year. He was awarded the DCM for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on August 7, 1915, during an attack on Chunuk Bair. While advancing up a narrow gully with precipitous sides, his battalion suddenly came on a strongly defended post which barred the way and from which a heavy rifle fire was directed at the head of the column. Sergeant ATKINS, getting his section in hand, without hesitation rushed the position, captured and held it. He displayed great bravery and coolness and set a splendid example to all with him. He was promoted at Gallipoli to his present rank. Sergeant Atkins now wears the ribbons of the DCM and the King's & Queen's medals for the South African war in which he participated as a member of the 5th Contingent from NZ. [AWN 13.04.1916]

ATKINS, Rifleman T F, killed in action, was the fourth son of Mr. & Mrs. George Atkins of Waimana, Clevedon. He was born at Paparimu but lived at Clevedon until a few years ago when he took up farming at Oparau, Kawhia, only leaving it to join the NZ Rifle Brigade. He was 33 years of age and one of four brothers all at the front. [AWN 12.10.1916]

ATKINSON, Mr. G R Atkinson, Mangatete, Awanui North, has four soldier sons. Private Reginald L ATKINSON and Private George F ATKINSON, have lately been wounded. Privates R ATKINSON and G F ATKINSON, are still in the firing line. [AWN 21.12.1916]

BAILEY, Private Albert J - A military funeral was accorded on Friday at Clevedon to Private Albert James Bailey, aged 22 years, who died of pneumonia at the Upper Hutt Military Hospital on 18 July. He was the only son of Mr. & Mrs. Frank Bailey of Ness Valley, Clevedon, where he lived. Very great sympathy by all is felt for his parents and relatives. He was buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery, Clevedon, the Rev Mr. Jacobson officiating. A large number of people were present, the local cadets firing the last volley over his grave. [AWN 27.07.1916]

BAILEY, Private William Herbert, wounded, is the youngest son of Mr. Geo Bailey of Hamilton and was born in Leamington, Waikato. He was educated at the Leamington school and the Cambridge District High School. Prior to his enlistment he was a member of the Postal Dept staff, Cambridge. [AWN 10.08.1916]

BAGNALL, Sergeant G S, son of Mrs. A E Bagnall of Herne Bay, who was dangerously wounded in June last, is returning home by a steamer now on voyage. The latest advices indicate that he is still seriously ill, suffering from severe injuries to the spine and that it is hoped the voyage may prove beneficial. [AWN 21.09.1916]

BAGNALL, Acting Sergeant George Stevenson, who is reported to have been dangerously wounded, is the third son of the late Mr. Albert C Bagnall of Turua and his mother resides in Mason's Avenue, Herne Bay. He enlisted at the commencement of the war. On 8 August, at Gallipoli, he was wounded and invalided to England. Subsequently he was attached to an artillery company with the rank of acting sergeant. Prior to enlisting he was employed in the office of Messrs John Burns & Co Ltd. Acting Sergeant Bagnall is about 27 years of age and at one time was a member of the West End Tennis Club. Although reported to be dangerously ill, private advices received state that he is progressing satisfactorily. His brother, Alan BAGNALL, left for the front with a reinforcement draft. [AWN 06.07.1916]

BAKER, Sergeant Keith, reported killed, was a well-known graduate of Canterbury College and was admitted as a barrister and solicitor before he enlisted with the main body. He was prominent in athletic circles and was a member of the Management Committee of the Canterbury Rugby Union. Sergeant Baker took part in the land on, and also the evacuation from, Gallipoli and was among the February nominees for an Imperial commission. He took his LL.B. degree when he was 21 years of age. [AWN 27.07.1916]

BAKER, Private Benjamin Edward, who was first reported killed in action and afterwards found to have been wounded and sent to England, is a son of Mr. Benjamin Baker of Kaihu and is 22 years of age. He was born in Auckland, educated at the Kaihu School and an engine driver by trade. In sporting matters, particularly football, he took keen interest. He served in the cadets and then the territorials. [AWN 02.11.1916]

BAKER, Private Varley Howard, who has died of wounds, was the fourth son of the late Mr. Philip J Baker, of Russell and grandson of the late Mr. Walter Irving of Waitangi, Bay of Islands. Prior to leaving for the front he was working for the Kauri Timber Co. at Puketi. He was 20 years of age.

BANKS, Sergeant J, son of Mrs. J Banks, of Gwynnelands, Cambridge, is lying very ill in a private hospital in France. Sergeant Banks left NZ with one of the reinforcement drafts several months ago and has been in the firing line for some time. Before enlisting he was in business as a land agent at Cambridge. He is well known throughout the Waikato as an enthusiastic polo player and huntsman. He will have the good wishes of a large circle of friends for his speedy recovery. [AWN 21.12.1916]

BARKER, Private C R, Wellington Battalion - Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous gallantry on August 8, 1915, at Chunuk Bair. The difficulty of supplying the firing line on the mountain top with ammunition and was very great, yet the necessity was vital. Private Barker rendered most valuable service in carrying both over ground exposed to heavy fire and the conformation of which made the task very arduous. He also acted as guide to a regiment going up to reinforce and on his return carried in a wounded man. [AWN 13.01.1916]

BARLOW, Sergeant H, D.C.M., 12th, Nelson, Co., Canterbury Battalion. This soldier left for Egypt with the main body in 1914 and was in the fighting, which took place on the banks of the canal 12 months ago. On that occasion the Turks attacked fiercely and Private W HAM, who was a member of the same company as Sergeant Barlow, was the first New Zealander to lay down his life for the Empire in the war, he being fatally wounded in the Suez Canal skirmish just a year ago. After proceeding with his battalion to Cairo, Sergeant Barlow went from there to the Dardanelles. It was a very brave individual act, which earned for this non-commissioned officer the covered distinction of the Distinguished Conduct Medal. Whilst at Quinn's Post on June 21 and 22, 1915, the New Zealanders were much troubled by Turkish snipers who fired from a bombproof shelter 20 yards away. On his own initiative, Sergeant Barlow - he was at the time a private - crawled over to the Turkish trench and demolished the shelter with bombs. It was a most heroic deed and was performed regardless of the danger. Other acts of gallantry were performed by him. On August 19 last, at the Apex, Sergeant Barlow was wounded in the left eye and lost the sight of the eye as the result of a piece of shell striking him. He was then invalided to England. Before joining the forces he was working as a miner in the Nelson district. With the exception of a sister in the South Island, all his near relatives live in Manchester. Whilst in England he met Corporal BASSETT, V.C., and other soldiers whose deeds at Gallipoli have gained them renown. [AWN 10.02.1916]

BARLOW, Private H, Canterbury Infantry Battalion - Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (London Gazette, 6 Sept 1915) for great gallantry and ability on the nights of June 21 and 22, 1915, at Quinn's Post, Dardanelles. On his own initiative he crawled from the trench to reconnoiter an enemy bombproof shelter some distance away. He was successful in dropping two bombs into it and returned with two Turkish bombs, which he found outside. Throughout the operations he has distinguished himself as a most courageous and skilful bomb-thrower. [AWN 20.04.1916]

BARLOW, Private J C, who has been reported wounded, is the son of the late Mr. P W Barlow, C.E., of Matakohe, Kaipara. His mother resides in Grey Street, Devonport. Private Barlow was educated at the Devonport School and at Mr. T Harle Giles' college. He was a popular athlete and he always took an active part in football at North Shore. In 1901 he was captain of the Association football team. Returning 12 months ago from Queensland, where he had been engaged in farming for two years, Private Barlow took up survey work in the Waikato and has been on active service in France for some time. [AWN 20.07.1916]

BARR, Driver Chas. L, reported to have died on the ambulance carrier Caledonia, was the youngest son of the late Mr. Wm Barr of Kaikorai and Maheno, Otago, and brother of Mrs. J CLARK, Lee St, Parnell. He left with the field artillery on the fifth reinforcements and was wounded on the torpedoed transport Marquette. After recovering from his wounds he proceeded to the front and further news reported him as having died on December 20, 1915. He was 39 years of age when he enlisted. [AWN 24.02.1916]

BASHAM, Trooper William Edgar, reported wounded, is the eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. W Basham of 28 York St, Newton. At the age of 19 he enlisted in Christchurch. His great-grandfather, the late Francis BROGAN, served in the Maori War. [AWN 02.11.1916]

BATES, Private Frederick, reported wounded on 7 July, was previously wounded at Gallipoli in August of last year. He was born at Onehunga and is a son of Mr. F Bates of Valley Rd, Mt Eden. He left NZ early last year. [AWN 27.07.1916]

BAYNE, Private George A, reported wounded early in August and now believed to have been killed, is a son of Mr. & Mrs. J Bayne of Morrinsville. He is 21 years of age and went away with the Wellington Infantry Battalion in the fourth reinforcements. [AWN 30.03.1916]

BEGBIE, Private Albert James, killed in action in France on 15 September, aged 37, was the third son of Mr. & Mrs. John Begbie, Pukekohe East. He was born and lived most of his life in that district and educated at Harrisville School. He was engaged in farming at Tuakau and road construction in the Franklin County. [AWN 28.12.1916]

BENNET, Private Charles, who was killed in action on 26 October, was the eldest son of Mr. A E Bennet of Howick. He was 24 years of age and was educated at the Howick public school. Prior to enlisting he was employed at the Hamilton Hotel, Hamilton, for 3 1/2 years. [AWN 30.11.1917]

BENNETT, Corporal P H G, Wellington Infantry Battalion - Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (London Gazette, 6 Sept 1915) for great gallantry on 26 April 1915, at Gaba Tepe, Dardanelles. During the attack on the position he was instrumental in maintaining the supply of ammunition for the machine-guns under a very heavy fire and showed the greatest courage and devotion to duty. [AWN 20.04.1916]

BENNETT, Private Ernest S, who is reported wounded, is a son of Mr. James Bennett, formerly inspector of permanent ways at Newmarket. At the time of his enlistment, Private Bennett was engaged on the staff of the Bank of NSW at Suva, Fiji. [AWN 14.09.1916]

BILLING, Private H A W BILLING, reported wounded, is the eldest son of Mr. H Billing, Auckland. He was born in Helensville but resided for a considerable period in Dargaville. He left with the main body and was wounded in the landing at Gallipoli. Later he returned to the firing line. His brother Charles and two cousins have been killed in action and two other cousins have received shrapnel wounds. [AWN 26.10.1916]

BILLING, Private Barney, Recently killed in action, was the oldest son of Mr. R Billing of Whangarei and was 22 years of age. He was a keen boxing and swimming enthusiast and while on active service was credited with saving a comrade from drowning during the disembarkation of troops from a transport. He left NZ for the front during 1915. [AWN 10.08.1916]

BINNEY, Mr. Roy C, of Auckland, has just received his commission in the Royal Field Artillery. [AWN 01.06.1916]

BIRNIE - SIX SOLDIER SONS, The record of being the parents of six sons who are either serving at the front, have served, or are in training, belongs to Major & Mrs. J Birnie of O 'Rorke Ave, Remuera. One of their sons, Sergeant Robert BIRNIE, has just been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous bravery in France. Sergeant Birnie is 27 years of age and was born in Auckland. He was educated at the Grafton School and was a prominent member of the College Rifles Football Club. For some years prior to the inauguration of the territorial scheme he was an enthusiastic member of the A Battery Field Artillery. When the territorial scheme came into being, although still of territorial age, he was discharged with a first-class certificate in order to make room for others. When the war broke out he left as a gunner with the main body. Serving throughout the whole of the Gallipoli campaign, he was wounded twice but was never away from duty. On one occasion a high explosive shell burst over his gun, killed one of his companions and slightly wounded him. Major John BIRNIE is an old volunteer officer of 27 years service and holds the Colonial and Auxiliary Forces and the NZ long service and efficiency medals. He also served some time in the A Battery. At present he is chief of staff of the National Reserve. Two other sons of Mar BIRNIE, John and William, also left with the artillery with the main body and fought at Gallipoli, the latter being slightly wounded on one occasion. They are both at the front. Arthur, another son, left for the front recently with the Mounted Rifles; Charles was a member of the Motor Transport Corps and was invalided from Egypt and discharged; and George is a Lieutenant in the Post & Telegraph Rifles in Christchurch and is going to the front shortly. [AWN 03.08.1916]

BIRNIE, Battery Sergeant Major Robert, D.C.M., who was killed in action in France on 21 October, was the fifth son of Mr. John Birnie Senior of O'Rorke Ave, Remuera. He left NZ with the main body of the Expeditionary Force in September 1914 and served through the Gallipoli campaign where he won the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous bravery shown on four occasions in serving his gun and repairing shattered emplacements under heavy fire. While in Auckland, Sergeant Major Birnie was a member of the College Rifles Rugby team and he was in the employ of the Provident Life Assurance Company prior to his enlistment. [AWN 30.11.1916]

BLACK, Lieutenant G H, Gisborne sheep farmer, brother of Lieutenant E R BLACK, was killed in action on 14 July while assisting a wounded man. [AWN 27.07.1916]

BLAIR, Captain D B, reported to be in the Military Hospital at Ras-el-Tin, Alexandria, suffering from a gunshot wound in the hand and laryngitis, has had an exciting career. He was born at Wanganui and educated at Wanganui College. From the college cadets he went to the Alexandra Cavalry Volunteers. Leaving NZ, he went to Alaska and was in the Klondike, where he became attached to that famous body of men, the North-west Mounted Police. He went to the South African war with the second and eight contingents and he continued service in Africa until May 1902, when he was chosen to go with the Coronation contingent. After that he went on the reserve and was for some considerable time in America. He was appointed in March 17, 1911, to the NZ Staff Corps and has been adjutant to the 1st Mounted Rifles, CYC, ever since, leaving for the front in that position with the main expeditionary force. He has the Queen's Medal with six clasps and the Coronation Medal. [AWN 30.03.1916]

BLAIR, Captain D B, M.C., who has been awarded the Military Cross, was formerly stationed in Christchurch as adjutant to the 1st Mounted Rifles, Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry. He saw considerable service in the South African war and held the Queen's Medal with six clasps. Captain Blair left NZ with the main Expeditionary Force as adjutant to the Canterbury Mounted Regiment. [AWN 20.01.1916]

BLAIR, Private Harry, killed in action, was 47 years of age and the third son of Mr. W Blair of Stratford. At the time of his enlistment he was employed on railway construction for the Public Works Dept. in the Bay of Plenty district. Previously he had lived at Whangamomona for some twelve years. [AWN 02.11.1916]

BLAIR, Private Hugh Matthew, who has died of wounds, was the youngest son of the late John Blair and Mrs. Agnes McKay Blair of Tryphena, Great Barrier, and was 27 years of age. For some years prior to his enlistment he was in the employment of Messrs Ellis & Burnand, at Manunui. [AWN 09.11.1916

BLANCH, Walter, single, aged 21, 12 Dublin St, Invercargill, died at the soldiers' annex, Auckland, on Thursday. Arrived on the Maheno Tuesday of last week. The deceased was paralysed as a result of injury received in the spinal column from shell shock in France and was in a very ill condition when admitted to the annex. [AWN 28.12.1916]

BLOOMFIELD, Second Lieutenant W R, Royal Flying Corps, of Auckland, has recovered from the effects of the wound in his leg and is now on light duty in this country. [AWN 01.06.1916]

BLOOMFIELD, Rifleman Roy BLOOMFIELD, wounded, is the youngest son of Mr. & Mrs. Bloomfield of Motamaoho. This is the second time he has been wounded. Six members of the family are taking part in the war, four sons being in the army and two in the navy. Roy is the fifth son who has been wounded; Allen, being at the present time in a London hospital suffering from injuries sustained in the recent fighting at Flers. [AWN 26.10.1916]

BLOOMFIELD, The family of Mr. William Bloomfield of Morrinsville is entitled to a prominent place amongst the fighting families of the Dominion. Six of Mr. Bloomfield's sons have served in the war. Stanley BLOOMFIELD, who left with the main body, was wounded at the landing at Gallipoli. He recovered and joined his company and is still fighting. Purce BLOOMFIELD, who went with one of the early reinforcements, was invalided home and has been discharged as no longer fit for active service. Allen BLOOMFIELD, who left early this year, has been severely wounded. Arthur BLOOMFIELD, who went away last year, is now at the front. Harold BLOOMFIELD, who for the past six years has served in the British Navy, was wounded in an engagement about twelve months ago. Roy Victor BLOOMFIELD, the last son to join the colours, has been twice wounded. [AWN 23.11.1916]

BLUCHER. Six members of one family from Houhora, the sons of Mr. Edmund BLUCHER, formerly of Hawera now of Beresford St, Auckland. The youngest son Norman went to Egypt with the 3rd, Auckland, Mounted Rifles, was transferred to the Machine-gun Section and served at Gallipoli. He was then invalided to England, then to France and promoted to Sergeant. He is still in France. Edmund served in the Boer War, is now on the water; Charles left later; Alfred J; Frederick Desmond, wounded at the Somme; A.W. in camp at Featherston. [AWN 09.11.1916]

BOATE, Sergeant Major, D.C.M., served in the South African war as an Imperial soldier and had also seen service in other parts of the world. He left as a member of the Otago section of one of the reinforcements and on his arrival in Egypt was attached to the South Otago Regiment. He was at the first landing at Gallipoli, was accidentally wounded by a bayonet and was taken to the hospital at Alexandria. It is stated that he was living at Whangarei shortly before he enlisted. [AWN 20.01.1916]

BOND, Private Alfred Herbert, who has been wounded in France, was employed on the machine room staff of the 'Weekly News' prior to enlisting. He is 30 years of age and was born in Bristol. He learnt the engineering trade and was in the service of the British Navy as an engineer until his health suffered and he was discharged. He came to NZ and was for some time in Hawkes Bay prior to coming to Auckland. [AWN 20.07.1916]

BOND, Private Percy, reported wounded, is the youngest son of Mr. J S Bond, Hamilton, and was born at Cambridge. He left NZ last year. Private Bond has two brothers at the front, Lieutenant A J Bond and Lieutenant Frank Bond. Another brother, Augustine Bond, was killed at the Dardanelles. [AWN 27.07.1916]

BOND, Captain Victor Roach, NZEF, son of Mr. Stephen Bond, caretaker of Government House, has been slightly wounded in France. Captain Bond, who had been employed by the Railway Dept at Ellerslie and afterwards by the Lands Dept in Wellington, accompanied the advance guard to Samoa on the outbreak of war. When the guard was relieved, he proceeded to Egypt with one of the reinforcement drafts. Captain Bond saw service at Gallipoli and came through unscathed. He has two brothers on active service. Although only 23 years of age, Captain Bond rapidly gained promotion, his enthusiasm for military work and his experience while in the territorials standing him in good stead. [AWN 20.07.1916]

BONGARD, 2nd Lieutenant James Rossiter, who has been reported wounded, is the fourth son of Mrs. Bongard of Vauxhall Rd, Devonport, and the late Captain J Bongard. He was born at Devonport 22 years ago and was educated at the Devonport School and the Auckland Technical College. At the outbreak of war he was employed in Messrs A & T Burt's electrical department. [AWN 28.09.1916]

BOULT, Charles - Mrs. G E J Milne of Matiere near Taumarunui, has received advice that her uncle, who was lately reported dead, is still alive - wounded in the chest and progressing favourably. [AWN 30.11.1916]

BOURK, Private Albert Donald, Canterbury Battalion, who was reported missing at the Dardanelles on April 28 and is now reported as having been killed in action, was a son of Mrs. Mary Ann Bourk of Hutchison Street, Sydenham, Christchurch. He left NZ with the main body and was one of four brothers who took part in the early stages of the fighting at the Dardanelles. The other three are still on active service. A fifth son of Mrs. Bourk returned to Christchurch recently from America and lost no time in enlisting. He passed his medical examination on Tuesday night. The late Private BOURK was 20 years of age and was farming in the North Island when the call came for men for the main expeditionary force. To have given five sons to the colours is a distinction Mrs. Bourk may well be proud of and very few similar cases are on record in NZ. [AWN 03.02.1916]

BOURKE, Corporal Percy William, killed in action in France on July 19, was the eldest son of the late Mr. J L Bourke of Hokianga. He was born in St Helier, Jersey, and came to NZ as a child in the ship Warwick. He was educated at the Parnell, Grafton and Mt Albert schools. He was wounded at Suvla Bay on August 8, 1915. After spending several months in England he returned to Egypt, leaving later for France. [AWN 17.08.1916]

BOWRON, Lieutenant S G, who has been wounded, is a son of Mr. George Bowron of Bowron Bros., the well-known leather merchants of Christchurch. Private advice states that he has lost his right eye but his remaining eye is sound and his other wounds not serious. He left with the fifth reinforcements. [AWN 20.07.1916]

BRAITHWAITE, Colonel, has been appointed to command the NZ Rifle Brigade in Egypt and Colonel CHAYTOR to command the Mounted Rifle Brigade. [AWN 02.03.1916]

BRAY. Sergeant B R, who has been wounded at the front, has been on active service since February. Though keen to take his place in the firing line, his ability at clerical work called for his attachment to the battalion headquarters staff at the time he left NZ. However, being always regarded as a splendid shot, he was probably transferred to a fighting unit at the time of his enlistment. He held the position of records clerk in the railway district traffic manager's office at Auckland. Sergeant Bray is 29 years of age and his parents reside at Waikouaiti, Otago. [AWN 20.07.1916]

BREMNER, Sergeant O S, Canterbury Mounted Rifles, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. [AWN 26.10.1916]

BREMNER, Captain Daniel Eric, awarded the Military Cross, is a member of one of the fighting families of the Auckland district, who have made such a splendid record in the present war - that of Mr. William Bremner of Drury. Two of the Bremner lads have held commissions in the NZ forces and both took part in the great advance on the Somme. The elder, Lieutenant Andrew D BREMNER, was killed on September 15, when the New Zealanders threw themselves into the fray. Captain D E BREMNER, the younger brother, was wounded on the same day. He is an old boy of the Auckland Grammar School and won a scholarship, which took him for three years to the Duntroon Military College, Australia. On returning to the Dominion he was appointed to the NZ Staff Corps. He joined one of the early contingents of Mounted Infantry for the front but was afterwards transferred to the infantry. In the fighting at Gallipoli he received a wound in the shoulder and won his promotion to captaincy. [AWN 30.11.1916]

BRENNAN, Private William, killed in action on June 29, was born at Upper Junction, Dunedin, 21 years ago. On leaving school he joined the training ship Amokura and after serving his time on that vessel he joined a ship trading on the Australian coast. He enlisted in Australia soon after the outbreak of war but was rejected owing to his youth. He came to NZ and offered his services again. They were accepted and he went through the Gallipoli campaign. Two of Private Brennan's brothers also enlisted. One died at Trentham and the other is at present serving at the front. [AWN 10.08.1916]

BRERETON, Major C B, Canterbury Infantry Battalion. Wounded, returned by the Rotorua. He left the Dominion with the main body and was shot in the head on May 8 last in the defence of Krithia at Cape Helles. After being for some time at Alexandria, he was sent to England and was in the London Hospital for some time. Major Brereton was highly satisfied with the treatment he received whilst there. Referring to the position generally, he voiced the opinion that Germany had passed the high-water mark. The men throughout the strenuous times which they had at Gallipoli behaved splendidly. The discipline of the New Zealanders was excellent, particularly after the four months' training which they had in Egypt. The men, he said, were very disappointed when they heard of the withdrawal from Anzac and for a time could hardly credit the news. The fact that the evacuation had been accomplished without loss of life was considered as miraculous. [AWN 10.02.1916]

BREWIN, Trooper Percy, son of Mr. J Brewin, Khyber Pass Road, who returned wounded some months ago, has had his arm amputated in the Post Hospital, NSW, owing to injuries received while in Gallipoli. Corporal Peter BREWIN, his elder brother, is now in the London Hospital suffering from injuries received in France. [AWN 14.09.1916]

BRIDGER, Private Charles Roy, killed in action in France, was the fifth son of Mr. & Mrs. Bridger of Opotiki, Bay of Plenty, was born in Auckland but went to Opotiki at the age of five. He was educated at Opotiki School. At the time of enlisting he was with the firm of Bridger's Ltd, Opotiki. He was a keen rowing and hockey enthusiast. [AWN 23.11.1916]

BROKENSHIRE, Gunner Ernest, of the NZ Field Artillery, who died of gunshot wounds on 27 November, was 22 years of age and the fourth son of Mr. E Brokenshire of Te Atatu, Henderson Point. Prior to his enlistment he was in the employment of the Te Aroha Co-Op. Dairying Co. His brother, Albert BROKENSHIRE, was wounded in the Gallipoli campaign but for some time has been back in the ranks and fighting on the French front. [AWN 21.12.1916]

BROOK, Sergeant Julian Cornelius, who has been twice wounded and is now in hospital at Malta, was prior to enlisting practicing as a barrister and solicitor at Kohukohu. His parents live at Birkdale. [AWN 30.03.1916]

BROOKFIELD, Sergeant Arthur Purchas G, whose name appeared among the list of those who had died of wounds, was 33 years of age and was the second son of Mr. F W Brookfield, solicitor, of St Heliers Bay. He was educated at St John's College and afterwards at the Auckland Grammar School. He subsequently adopted engineering as a profession. In regard to athletics he took an active interest in football and was also for some time scoutmaster of the St Heliers Bay Boy Scout troop. His brother Leonard was killed at Gallipoli, while serving with the NZ forces. [AWN 13.07.1916]

BROOKS, Rifleman Norgrove Alfred, who has met his death at the front, was a son of Mr. Alfred Brooks of Henderson and was in his 22nd year. He was born at Dannevirke and educated at the Dannevirke and Henderson schools. His occupation before enlistment was that of a cook. [AWN 19.10.1916]

BROTHERS, Sergeant (now 2nd Lieutenant) W F, who recently was awarded the Military Medal for gallantry, is a son of Mr. & Mrs. Charles Brothers, late of Rotorua and now of Wellington. He enlisted as a private in the Canterbury Infantry, Main Body, and went through the Gallipoli campaign, serving for six months in the trenches. In October 1915 he was wounded and he rejoined his regiment in January last. He attained non-commissioned rank at Gallipoli and was given a commission in France. Prior to enlisting, Lt Brothers was in the employ of the Christchurch Fire Board and previous to that served for five years in the Royal Navy. [AWN 14.12.1916]

BROTHERS, Lieutenant W F, son of Mr. & Mrs. C Brothers of Ngongotaha near Rotorua, has been awarded the Military Medal for service in the field, while Sergeant in charge of a machine-gun in France. He has a long record of meritorious service. He left NZ with the Main Body as a Private and was wounded at Gallipoli. [AWN 21.12.1916]

BROWN, Trooper Hugh Charters, recently reported wounded, is one of the sons of Mr. W E Brown of Auckland. He was seriously wounded at Gallipoli and was invalided to England. On recovery he was offered the opportunity of returning to NZ but preferred to rejoin his regiment. To use his own terms, he 'wanted to get his own back'. He was again reported wounded in the fighting at Katia on August 6 and is now in hospital in Cairo. Trooper Brown has two brothers at the war. The elder - Allan - was rejected as physically unfit for active service, the younger - Reginald - is now in France with the eleventh reinforcements. [AWN 24.08.1916]

BROWN, Lieutenant (temp. Captain) Rainsford Balcombe, R.F.A., Special Reserve and Royal Flying Corps, has been awarded the Military Cross "for conspicuous gallantry and skill". He is the son of Mr. & Mrs. Balcombe Brown of Wellington. "He attacked an enemy kite balloon and brought it down in flames. He was flying in a type of machine unfamiliar to him owing to the absence through wounds of the regular pilot. At dawn he commenced to learn the machine and the same evening brought down the kite." [AWN 14.09.1916]

BROWN, Mrs. C Hawksworth Brown of Hawkes Bay, is the proud mother of four soldier sons. The two youngest left NZ with the main body, one in the artillery and the elder one in the Wellington Mounted Rifles. The younger one, Bombardier Clare BROWN, was wounded in Gallipoli campaign and has just been wounded while fighting in France. His brother, Sergeant Major C Hawkesworth BROWN, laid down his life on the peninsular. He had been recommended for his commission. The eldest son, who is married, enlisted for active service with the Australians but was put on home service duty and is now a staff sergeant major at Geelong. The second son, Sergeant Cecil BROWN, well known in 'A' Battery, is on active service in France. [AWN 16.11.1916]

BROWN, Private Donald, killed in action, was the son of Mrs. A E Brown of Lorne Street, aged 19 years. He was a native of Sydney and came to NZ eleven years ago and was educated at Lyall Bay, Wellington and Newmarket State schools. He was employed by Messrs Sargood Son & Ewen Ltd but afterwards was farming and still later went to sea. [AWN 21.12.1916]

BROWN, Private Michael J, nephew of Sergeant B J Brown of the Auckland Police Force, has died of wounds received in France. He was 21 years of age and before his enlistment was in the employment of his father on the family farm at Kaiapoi. He was an enthusiastic athlete, and excelled in running and jumping. [AWN 09.11.1916]

BRUMBY, Second Lieutenant Harold R, who was killed in action on 1 October, was the youngest son of Mr. & Mrs. L A Brumby of Mt Eden. Lieutenant Brumby took a keen interest in the local school cadets and prior to his enlistment was a sergeant in the 16th, Waikato, Regiment. He received his education at the Hastings District School and the Napier Technical College. For some time he was in the office of Messrs Ellis & Burnand, Mangapeehi, and at the time of enlisting he was employed by Messrs English & Luxford, Hamilton. [AWN 19.10.1916]

BRYSON, Private Charles, killed in action. The late soldier was born at Napier and received his education at the Boys' High School in that town. After leaving school he joined the staff of the South British Ins. Co. and was for a time stationed in Auckland. Shortly after leaving the company's employ, he enlisted. He arrived in France a little over two months ago and received his final training on the Channel coast. Private Bryson was very popular both in civil and military circles. He leaves a widow and five children who reside in Frances St, Grey Lynn. [AWN 20.07.1916]

BUCHANAN, Lieutenant William Archibald, 1st Battalion Connaught Rangers and Royal Flying Corps, - His death occurred in England on Wednesday last week as the result of accidental injuries. He was the eldest son of Mr. Archibald Buchanan of Remuera and was nearly 22 years old. Born in Auckland, Lieutenant Buchanan was educated at King's College, with the exception of a short period at Clifton College, Bristol. With the intention of entering the Indian Army, he studied for admission to Sandhurst and was successful in passing the entrance examination. While he was at Sandhurst war was declared and shortly afterwards he was offered and accepted a commission in the Connaught Rangers. With his regiment, Lieutenant Buchanan saw a great deal of service at Neuve Chapelle, including the second battle of Ypres last year, when the regiment suffered in the leg on April 25 and was invalided to England. Upon his recovery, Lieutenant Buchanan was declared by a medical board to be unfit for foreign service but he obtained permission to join the Royal Flying Corps. He qualified some time ago for the pilot's certificate and had probably received his commission when he met with a bad accident, of which his father was advised a few days ago. [AWN 15.06.1916]

BUDDLE, Temp. Lieutenant C B, Army Service Corps, of Auckland, is a temporary captain from November 1 last. [AWN 02.03.1916]

BURGESS, Private Claude Ernest, reported as having died of wounds, was a son of Mr. F J Burgess, stipendiary magistrate, Thames. He left NZ as a member of the 9th Reinforcements. Prior to enlisting he had been a member of the mechanical engineering staff of the Technical College since 1910. [AWN 20.07.1916]

BURNIES. The honourable roll of families who have provided three or more brothers for the service of the Empire increases in dimensions from day to day as casualties to one or other of the kinsmen in khaki are reported. It is not given to many to equal the record of the EARNSHAWS of Petone, of whom six have gone to the front and a seventh offered his services but could not meet the medical test, while their mother has six brothers on active service; or the BURNIES of Ellerslie, another gallant half dozen, one of whom has been decorated with the Distinguished Service Medal. The family records of three and even four, soldier sons are now coming daily into evidence, a splendid testimony to the patriotic enthusiasm of young New Zealand. [AWN 26.10.1916]

BURRAGE, Trooper Harry, 3rd, Auckland, Mounted Rifles - The manner of his death has been described by Sergeant Major F A HALIDAY in a letter received by the last mail. He was formerly employed in the Wellington printing works. He was orderly to Captain WYMAN and was killed on July 27. Sergeant Major Haliday states that he was assisting to erect a bombproof shelter and bullets were falling thickly around him and those working with him. He was struck by a bullet from a machine-gun and died within two minutes. This happened at about midday and at nightfall his body was carried to the burial ground by some of his comrades and laid to rest. [AWN 16.03.1916]

BUTLER, Private Patrick of B.Co., 17th Reinforcements, who died at Trentham Hospital on Sunday of epilepsy, was formerly a farmer at Toko. He was 38 years of age. [AWN 13.07.1916]

BUTLER, Corporal Raymond, killed in action on 21 September in France. The deceased soldier, who was the eldest son, was not 20 years of age. He was educated at Kings College, Auckland and employed at the Cambridge Branch of the Bank of NZ. He was subsequently engaged in electrical engineering in Auckland. [AWN 21.12.1916]

BUTTERWORTH, Mr. H M of Wanganui College, who was killed in action at Loos, was at the time holding the temporary rank of captain, having command of a company of the Rifle Brigade. The appointment, which was dated three weeks before he was killed, has just been gazetted. [AWN 01.06.1916]

BUTTERWORTH, Lieutenant Harold - On 16 July news was received from the War Office announcing that he was missing. Last week his mother received the announcement that he was 'now reported killed'. He was the son of Mrs. Butterworth and grandson of Mr. William Winstone, Mt Albert. On the outbreak of war he enlisted here but, being unable to get away with the first contingent, he went to England and joined the Royal Flying Corps. In a short while he qualified for his pilot's certificate and later received a commission. He went through the aviation workshops and assisted at the various training schools in England. At the time of his death, only three days before his 21st birthday, he had been engaged for six months flying at the front. [AWN 14.09.1916]

BUTTERWORTH - Official information about the death of Lieutenant H W BUTTERWORTH, Royal Flying Corps, Auckland, who was reported missing in July, shows that his machine was shot down by infantry on the night of July 15. He was killed and was buried at Garvin on the following day. [AWN 16.11.1916]

BUTTLE, Sergeant Harris Newman, who has been killed in action, was the only son of the late Rev J N Buttle of Christchurch. He was an old High School boy and was captain of the High School Cadets and a member of the first football fifteen. After he left school he followed farming pursuits. Sergeant Buttle, who was 24 years of age, has a number of relatives in Auckland. [AWN 27.07.1916]