Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

CADDIGAN, Gunner Ernest William, killed in action, was the third son of Mrs. C Cooper of Huia Rd, Otahuhu. He was born at Howick, where he received his education at the Roman Catholic School. Prior to enlisting he was employed by the Government in the Waikato district. Leaving with an early reinforcement draft, he fought at Gallipoli. He was a member of the Otahuhu and Te Awamutu Football Clubs. [AWN 12.10.1916]

CAFFERY, Private Robert A, who is reported to be missing, took part in the defence of the Suez Canal. He was in Gallipoli from the landing until early in August when he was invalided to Malta with shock concussion. [AWN 27.07.1916]

CALLAGHAN, Rifleman Michael, who has died of wounds, was the son of Mr. & Mrs. John Callaghan of Knox St, Hamilton and was 30 years of age. He left NZ in October of last year. He was born at Ohaupo and educated principally at the Hamilton East School. For some time he was employed as a porter on the railways at Hamilton and Auckland and later he was engaged in contracting work in the South Island. As a footballer and a walker he was well known. [AWN 02.11.1916]

CAMERON, Private Frank, reported wounded in back and legs, is the son of Mr. W Cameron of Hora Hora, Whangarei. Mr. Cameron's other son Frederick was wounded on Gallipoli. [AWN 13.07.1916]

CAMPBELL, Private F A, wounded in France, was the eldest son of Mrs. M E Campbell, Matangi. Educated at Auckland Grammar School after which he joined the staff of the Brett Printing & Publishing Co. Prior to enlistment he was farming in the Hamilton District. He left NZ as Regimental Signaller. [AWN 02.11.1916]

CAMPBELL, Lance Corporal D B, who is reported to have been killed in action, was an old boy of the Auckland Grammar School, and was formerly employed at the Public Trust Office in Auckland. His father is Mr. Robert Campbell, late of Coromandel. Corporal Campbell was 21 years of age when he met his death. He had previously served in Samoa. [AWN 06.07.1916]

CAMPBELL, Sergeant J, Otago Mounted Rifles, son of Mr. Alex. Campbell, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for gallant conduct at Gallipoli, which was to be presented by Hon J Allen, Minister for Defence at a military parade at Dunedin on Saturday. Sergeant Campbell was later sent to France where he has been killed in action. [AWN 26.10.1916]

CARBINES, Private Arthur Vivian - A letter expressing the appreciation of His Majesty the King, of the services of the late Private Carbines, Wellington Infantry Battalion, has been received by his father, Mr. R J Carbines of New Lynn, Auckland, from the War Office. Private Carbines was killed at Gallipoli last August, while attempting to rescue wounded men. The letter states that Private Carbines was mentioned in a despatch from General Sir Ian Hamilton, dated December 11, for gallant and distinguished service in the field. "I am to express to you" the letter continues "The King's high appreciation of these services and to add that His Majesty trusts that their public acknowledgement may be of some consolation in your bereavement." The letter was forwarded through the Minister for Defence and, in a covering note, the Hon James Allen wrote: "I feel sure that this communication will be treasured by you as a tangible token of His Majesty's great interest in the welfare of his subjects during the unprecedented crisis through which our Empire is now passing." [AWN 03.08.1916]

CARDNO, Private J F, NZ Medical Corps, awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous gallantry and good work when attached to an infantry battalion. [AWN 28.09.1916]

CAREW. Six sons of Mr. D W Carew - now of the railway workshops at Invercargill, and formerly officer representing the Railway Dept in the oversight of the manufacture of locomotives in the foundry of Messrs A & G Price, at the Thames - have done their share in upholding the honour of the Empire. All six were in the trenches at Gallipoli. Three of their number have returned, disabled for further service, and have received their discharge from the army. A fourth, Private D W Carew, was killed in action on 12 September. Private Carew was a native of Auckland and at the time of his enlistment was engaged in farming at Invercargill. Two other brothers are still in France serving with the Australian forces. [AWN 09.11.1916]

CARLYON, Private Samuel James, who is reported to have died of wounds, was 19 years of age. He was born at Coromandel, where he received his early education, afterwards removing to Auckland with his parents and attended the Ponsonby School for some years. After leaving school he went to Gisborne where he served his apprenticeship as a blacksmith. At the time of his enlistment he was following his calling at Waiuku. The late Private Carlyon took part in the fighting on the Gallipoli Peninsula on two different occasions before being transferred to France. [AWN 27.07.1916]

CARMODY, Lieutenant A F, who has been killed, left with the 8th Reinforcements. He held a responsible position on the staff of the NZ Farmers Co-op. Assn in Christchurch. He was a single man 35 years of age and belonged to Liverpool, England. He held a commission in senior cadets and was a keen rifle shot. [AWN 20.07.1916]

CARO, Private Maurice - Cable advice has been received by Mrs. Caro of Grafton Road that her son has been killed in action. Private Caro, who was 34 years of age, was born in England and came to NZ with his parents about thirty years ago. He was educated at the Boys' High School, Christchurch, and afterwards removed to Auckland where he was in the employ of Messrs Arthur Nathan Ltd, for about 12 years. About 4 years ago he joined his two brother Harold CARO and Arthur CARO of Japan - in business. He left Auckland during 1915 for England. He left for the front as a private a few weeks ago and was in action only a few days when he met his death. Private Caro was a member of the Auckland College Rifles for some years and also took a keen interest in tennis as a member of the Auckland and Parnell Clubs. [AWN 17.08.1916]

CARRADUS, Private James, B Company, died last week from meningitis. He was a married man and the address of his next of kin is Patea. [AWN 09.11.1916]

CARRINGTON, Captain Christopher, second son of Dean Carrington of Christchurch, has been killed in action. He was 23 years of age and was educated at Christ's College. He was one of the original students at Duntroon Military College and after he passed out of college was appointed Lieutenant in the NZ Field Artillery. [AWN 19.10.1916]

CARTER. Four sons of Mr. & Mrs. Carter of Honikiwi near Otorohanga, are on active service. Acting Sergeant Major W R CARTER was at Gallipoli and was wounded twice there. He is now in hospital in England. Corporal E C CARTER was also at Gallipoli and is now in Egypt. Corporals H G & H W CARTER are fighting in France. [AWN 16.11.1916]

CASELBERG, Sapper A L, Signal Troop - Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous gallantry on the night of August 22, 1915, At Kaiajik Aghala (Hill 60, Dardanelles). At the close of the day a number of detached parties were scattered in advance of the fire trenches. The firing was very heavy and in the darkness these parties did not know how to get back. Sapper Caselberg, on his own initiative, went out several times, searched for them and guided them back on each occasion. His total disregard of personal danger and devotion to duty were most marked. [AWN 13.01.1916]

CASELBERG - At a military parade at Dunedin on Saturday, Hon J Allen, Minister for Defence, presented Sapper A L CASELBERG, Signal Troop, NZ Mounted Rifle Brigade, with the Distinguished Conduct Medal. [AWN 2.10.1916]

CATTEN. Four sons of Mrs. Catten of Henderson, widow of the late Mr. Thomas Catten, have been helping to uphold the honour of the Empire and two of their number, Private Chas W Catten and Private John Bruce Catten, have given up their lives, having been killed in the same week of last month. Another of the lads, Private Thos R Catten has been wounded. The fourth Private Alan Catten, is still in the trenches, so far uninjured. All four received their early education at the Avondale School and the remainder at Spreydon, Canterbury, where the family lived for some time. Their occupations prior to enlistment was that of farmers. [AWN 09.11.1916]

CATTON, Private Charles W, killed in action, was the second son of Mrs. T Catton of Henderson. Before enlisting he was engaged in farm work. He left NZ in the infantry with his two brothers but was parted from them owing to measles breaking out in his tent and was then transferred to the artillery. He has another brother with the NZ Field Artillery. [AWN 12.10.1916]

CAZALET, Lieutenant Clement Marshall, reported to have died of wounds, was a son of Mr. William Lewis Cazalet of Dean Park Lodge, Bournemouth, merchant. Before he came to NZ two years ago with the object of farming, he was for some years in his father's business in Moscow. While in NZ he worked on the Orari Gorge stations and in North Canterbury. As he had a knowledge of French, German and Russian, when the war broke out Lieutenant Cazalet offered his services to the Government as an interpreter. While in Wellington he assisted the censors in translating letters etc. It is understood that when he was wounded he was acting as staff officer to Brigadier General JOHNSTON. [AWN 30.03.1916]

CHITTY. Mr. L Chitty, O'Neill Street, Ponsonby, has received information that his son Private J E CHITTY has been killed in action. He has another son in hospital in England, another has been wounded and a third was incapacitated by illness just after the commencement of the offensive on the Somme. [AWN 14.12.1916]

CHITTY. Private F E CHITTY, killed in action on 15 September, is the son of Mr. L Chitty, O'Neill St, Ponsonby. He was aged 20 and was a tailor by occupation. Prior to enlistment he resided at Temuka, Canterbury. Out of the football team to which he belonged, 14 members resolved to enlist and young Chitty came to Auckland to enroll in the district where he had spent his youth and received his education. [AWN 21.12.1916]

CLARK, Private Eric Hamilton, 14th Otago Infantry, aged 23 years, eldest son of Mr. J Clark, Lee Street, Parnell. Previously reported missing, now believed to have been killed about May 1 or 2. He left NZ with the second reinforcements and was in training in Egypt for about three months. His last letter, saying he was leaving for the Dardanelles that night, was written on April 10, 1915. After that no word was received of or from him, until on June 13 a telegram arrived saying that he had been missing since May 1. In spite of all inquiries, nothing further was heard of him until official notice was received on February 2 reported him believed to have been killed. Previous to enlisting Private Clark was engine driver for Messrs Lamb & Dyson, contractors, Auckland. He passed his first engineer's examination on November 2, enlisted the same morning and left by the 8.50 pm express for Trentham that night. His two brothers are serving their country - Private Jack CLARK, who left NZ with the ninth reinforcements, and Percy CLARK, munition-worker, in the Woolwich Arsenal, London. [AWN 24.02.1916]

CLARK, Driver N, N.Z.F.A. - Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous bravery on August 27 and 28, 1915, at Hill 60. A fire having been started, as the result of the enemy's firing round a pit containing over 50 high explosive shells, Driver Clark volunteered to carry water to put out the fire and was successful in doing so, although the section was being heavily and accurately shelled the whole time. [AWN 13.01.1916]

CLARK, Private Joseph Reynolds, who was killed in action in France on 21 June, was the eldest son of the late Mr. Joseph Clark of Karaka, Drury, where his mother still resides. Private Clark, who was 42 years of age, left with the Eighth Reinforcements, being in the D Co. and on arrival in Egypt was drafted into the Eighth, Southland, Company, 1st Battalion Otago Regt of the 1st Infantry Brigade. He was born at Devonport, educated at the Archill, Papakura and Karaka schools and followed the vocation of a farmer at Karaka until four years ago since when he was engaged at Waikato in connection with the Waihi Gold Mining Co's electric power plant. A brother, Private Leslie G CLARK of the 16th, Waikatos, who left with the main body, was killed at Gallipoli on 8 May 1915 in the 'Daisy Patch' engagement. The youngest brother, Private Alfred Colin Campbell CLARK, of the A Co, 4th Platoon, left with the 13th Reinforcements. [AWN 06.07.1916]

CLARK, Private Frank, who died of wounds, was the son of Mr. J Clark, late H M Customs and was born at Parnell 22 years ago. He was educated at Parnell School and the Auckland Grammar School. At the outbreak of the war he was a sergeant in a machine-gun section. He signed on as private in the 3rd, , Auckland, Regiment in the first Expeditionary Forces and spent eight months in Samoa. On returning to NZ he joined one of the early reinforcement drafts. In the fighting at Gallipoli he was wounded on 9 August last year. After the evacuation he went to France and was again wounded there. Once more back in the firing line he sustained wounds on September 16 from which he died on 12 October. [AWN 02.11.1916]

CLARK, Private Frederick Herbert, Reported killed in action, was the fourth son of Mr. Thomas H Clark, Oratia, Waiukumete. He was 20 years of age and was born in the Northern Wairoa district. He was educated by Mr. J E Ellott of Te Kopuru and Aoroa School. Private Clark took part in the Gallipoli campaign prior to being transferred to France. At the time of his enlistment he was engaged in farming with his parents at Paparata, Bombay. [AWN 03.08.1916]

CLARK, Lieutenant R Crago, killed in action on 4 October, was born in Auckland and at an early age went to Dunedin. For six years he was connected with the Dunedin Engineers, taking a keen interest in volunteering and gaining the highest points in NZ for signalling. Prior to enlisting, he held a commission in the Technical School Cadets, Palmerston North, and later in No.90 Company, Senior Cadets, New Plymouth. When he enlisted he was in the employ of the Provident Life Assurance Co. at New Plymouth. [AWN 19.10.1916]

CLERK, Acting Sergeant Eric John, Reported killed in action, was the only son of Mr. Duncan C Clerk of Arney Rd, Remuera. He was 24 years old and born in Sydney NSW. He was educated at King's College, Auckland and Ovending Hall, Brighton, England, subsequently returning to King's College. After leaving school he was engaged in farming and at the time of his enlistment was employed as head shepherd on the Mokoiwi station, the late Mr. Gerard Williams' property on the East Coast. At the outbreak of war he joined the colours and went to Samoa. Returning to NZ he proceeded to the front with one of the earliest reinforcement drafts. [AWN 10.08.1916]

CLOKE, Lance Corporal John, who was killed in action in France on 26 September, was a son of Mr. F G Cloke of York St, Parnell and was 22 years of age. He left NZ with the Rifle Brigade. Previous to enlisting he was employed on the NZ railways where he served three years as a member of the railway engineers. He was well known in rowing, football and hockey circles at Rotorua, where he resided for some time. [AWN 30.11.1916]

CLOSEY, Lieutenant Septimus James Edgar, awarded the Military Cross, was born in 1892 at Bury, Lancashire, and at the age of 13 came to NZ with his parents. He formerly was sergeant in the Waikato Mounted Rifles and later became lieutenant in command of the 82nd Company, Senior Cadets. He left as lieutenant in one of the Rifle Brigade reinforcements for France. He has been slightly wounded twice and was mentioned in despatches. Lieutenant Closey is a partner in the firm of F & E Closey, contractors of Otorohanga. [AWN 30.11.1916]

COBOURNE, Lieutenant C T, who has been wounded, was born in the Waiuku district 25 years ago. He was educated at the Sacred Heart College, Ponsonby and on leaving school engaged in sheep farming at Port Waikato. He always took an active interest in military matters, having joined the mounted rifles when 18 years old. When war broke out Lieutenant Cobourne enlisted and proceeded to the front with the rank of sergeant. He took part in the operations on Gallipoli where he received his commission. [AWN 10.08.1916]

COLLIE, Gunner J G, died of disease, was the son of Mr. J L Collie of Te Kowhai. He was educated at King's College, Auckland, and had been a member of the G Battery, practically since the inception of the territorial scheme. He was enthusiastic in his work and in order to fit himself for the artillery arm of the expeditionary force, he last year attended the training camps of both G & A Batteries. [AWN 27.01.1916]

COLTMAN, Sergeant Cyril Warren, Reported killed in action, was born in Waimate, Canterbury and was 23 years old. He was the son of Mr. W Coltman, jeweler, Queen St. Sergeant Coltman was educated at the Waimate High School and later at the Auckland Grammar School. He came to Auckland about eight years ago and after finishing his education joined the business carried on by his father, where he was engaged at the time of his enlistment. [AWN 03.08.1916]

CONDELL, Private S who was reported wounded on July 5, is a son of Mr. W Condell of New Lynn. He took part in the operations on Gallipoli where he was wounded. He has three brothers also members of the Expeditionary Force, one of them having been wounded. [AWN 10.08.1916]

CONDON, Lance Corporal J F B, brother in law of Dr C C Murphy, was killed in action in France on 21 June. A son of the late Mr. James Condon, Lance Corporal Condon was born in Auckland and completed his education at St Patrick's College, Wellington. He was in the service of Messrs Devore, Martin & Prendergast for about two years and afterwards acted as assistant secretary for the North Auckland Farms' Co-operative Ltd in Whangarei. In January 1911 he went to Canada and was employed on the engineering staff of the Canadian Pacific Railway at Calgary, Alberta. Immediately after the outbreak of war he enlisted and had been in France 18 months. Lance Corporal Condon, who was 29 years of age, was a nephew of the Hon, W Beehan, M.L.C. [AWN 06.07.1916]

COOK, Private Graham Walter, who was reported as having died of wounds on July 11, was the eldest son of Captain T W Cook of Norman St, Rocky Nook. He was born in Russell in 1893 and received his early education at the Ponsonby District School. [AWN 31.08.1916]

COOPER, Lieutenant A C, awarded the Military Cross, is a native of Great Barrier and prior to his enlistment was employed at Waihi as plumber to the Waihi Grand Junction Gold Mining Co. For some time before the outbreak of war he was a lieutenant in the reserve but he preferred to leave NZ as a private and his present commission came to him when on the field. He was prominent in football and interested in other sports. He took part in the engagements on the Somme in September and was then wounded. [AWN 30.11.1916]

CORBETT, Private Alfred Sydney, reported killed in action, was the second son of Mr. A Corbett of Matamata and was a teacher under the Auckland Education Board. He was rejected three times but made himself fit for service by undergoing an operation. [AWN 21.12.1916]

CORDON, Rifleman E A, died of wounds, was born at Dargaville and educated at the Cambridge District High School. He was a member of the Fourth Battalion of the Rifle Brigade. Prior to enlisting he worked on a farm in the Te Aroha District. [AWN 12.10.1916]

CORLETT, Acting D A, NZ Field Artillery, wounded on 14 October, is the son of Mr. B S Corlett, Rotorua. Captain C S ALGIE, who was killed in action some time ago, was a brother in law of Bombarder Corlett. [AWN 09.11.1916]

CORNAGA, Andrew, who has been killed in action, was the third son of Mr. Victor Cornaga of Auckland. He was born in Auckland and was in his 25th year. He was educated at the Normal School. At the time he enlisted he was in the employ of Messrs Ross & Glendining. Bombarder Cornaga was for two years a member of the A Battery in which unit he went through the Gallipoli campaign. [AWN 19.10.1916]

COSGROVE, Sapper Norman, who has been reported convalescent after an attack of enteric fever, is the second son of Mr. & Mrs. Norman Cosgrove of Devonport. He left NZ with the second reinforcements, 3rd, Auckland, Infantry and on arrival in Egypt was transferred to the British section of the engineers. He is a carpenter by trade. Prior to his illness he had been four months in the trenches. Advice has also been received that his eldest brother, Trooper Thomas COSGROVE, also of the second reinforcements, is ill at Pont-de-Koubbeh Hospital, Cairo. [AWN 13.01.1916]

COULTHARD, Private John, who died from wounds on October 4, was the only son of Mr. T W Coulthard, of Oakleigh, Mangapai. [AWN 02.11.1916]

COUPER, Private John W, B Company, 21st Reinforcements, died at Trentham Military Hospital last week from cerebro-spinal meningitis. His parents reside at Te Kiri, Taranaki.

COUPER, Lieutenant Simon James Stuart, who is reported killed in action, fought through the Gallipoli campaign, where he was wounded and had to undergo three operations in Malta, before again joining his regiment in Egypt. He was born and educated at Colac Bay, Southland, where he enlisted. Lieutenant Couper was better known as "Tuki Kupa" and was a magnificent specimen of the Maori race, being over 15 stone in weight and 6ft in height. He was formerly a member of the Colac Bay volunteers and in 1901 he was a member of the Maori division of the Federal Contingent, which represented NZ at the opening of the Federal Parliament in Melbourne. [AWN 20.07.1916]

COURTENEY, Rifleman Eugene Leo, died of wounds, aged 23, fourth son of Mr. & Mrs. J Courtney, Richmond Road, Ponsonby. He was born at Kuaotonu and attended Auckland Grammar School. He passed Junior Civil Service and Matriculation Examinations. Prior to enlistment he was Asst Clerk at the Court in Napier. He was a keen sportsman playing football for Napier and cricket for the Civil Service Club. [AWN 02.11.1916]

COWAN, Sergeant William Henry, who has died of wounds, was the elder son of Mr. & Mrs. Cowan of Mangatainoka and leaves a widow and three young children, living at Hamilton. He served through the South African War and, for the purposes of the present turmoil, enlisted at Hamilton. His only brother, Lieutenant Cowan, died of wounds received at Gallipoli. [AWN 02.11.1916]

COWAN, Sergeant Major John James - News of the death on active service has been received in Te Aroha of Sergeant Major Cowan. Born at Newcastle on Tyne, he came to NZ with his parents 12 years ago, finishing his education at Mangere Bridge School. Later he moved to the Waikato where he was engaged in farming. He was an enthusiastic territorial, being a sergeant in the 6th, Hauraki, Co. He joined the main body and fought through the Gallipoli campaign, being wounded 13 days after the landing. He rejoined his company and was there at the evacuation. Prior to proceeding to France he was promoted to sergeant major. [AWN 03.08.1916]

COWLES, Captain John, NZ Rifle Brigade, awarded the Military Cross for gallantly leading a raid in which 33 of the enemy were killed and only seven New Zealanders were wounded. [AWN 28.09.1916]

COWLES, Captain John, whose name appears in the cabled list of NZ recipients of the Military Cross, is the youngest son of Mr. Cowles, who was formerly headmaster of the Richmond school, Nelson, and one of his brothers is Mr. E P Cowles, a telegraph engineer of Hamilton. He is unmarried and 32 years of age. Formerly he was a member of the Wellington College Rifles. On the outbreak of war he volunteered and spent eight months at Samoa. On his return to NZ he joined the Rifle Brigade. He took part in three engagements against the Senussi in Egypt and later on was sent to France. Four of his brothers are also serving with the forces, while another brother is now on the way to the front and yet another will leave NZ with the twenty-fourth reinforcements. [AWN 28.09.1916]

COX, Private E W, son of Mr. E B Cox, Roto-o-Rangi, was reported missing on 25 April. He is likely one of many who fell during severe fighting over rough country. [AWN 03.02.1916]

COX, Lance Corporal Lionel, who has been killed in action, was the son of Mr. L J Cox of Te Rapa. He was born at Kaiapoi 21 years ago and was educated at the Eureka, Rotutuna and Whatawhata schools. Prior to enlisting he was employed on his father's farm and was a member of the 16th, Waikato, Regiment of Territorials, Lance Corporal Cox served through the latter part of the Dardanelles campaign and received his stripe in July last. [AWN 19.10.1916]

CRAIG, Captain, Auckland - A tribute to the bravery at Gallipoli of Surgeon Captain CRAIG of Auckland was paid by a returned Anzac officer a few days ago in Christchurch. "As the wounded were brought in the congestion became so great that Capt Craig was directed to open an auxiliary clearing station at the foot of Artillery Lane and here attended the wounded. It was under fire and the bullets were flying and shrapnel was whizzing around. One of his assistants had been shot beside him and yet Dr Craig worked without cessation from mid-day until early next morning. Later this Auckland officer was under Colonel Plugge and was wounded. His conduct, his fearlessness and disregard of danger in the execution of his duty were of the bravest men I ever knew." [AWN 06.07.1916]

CRAWFORD, Sergeant T, Auckland Battalion, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for leading a party of New Zealanders into a German trench under heavy fire. He is the second son of Captain and Mrs. Crawford of Te Aroha and enlisted from Auckland as a private and was wounded at Gallipoli. [AWN 26.10.1916]

CRIGHTON, Trooper J W, whose name appeared in a recent list of the wounded, is the youngest son of Mr. A Crighton of Waiuku and was for two years in the Auckland Mounted Rifles before his enlistment in the Expeditionary Force. He left NZ 15 months ago and served on the Gallipoli Peninsula and also in Egypt where he was last heard from. Another of Mr. Crighton's sons is on active service and bears the scars of a wound received at Gallipoli. [AWN 21.09.1916]

CROXSON, Private W V O, reported wounded on 23 June, is the eldest son of Mr. Robert Croxson of Mangere and is just over 21 years of age. He was educated at the Mangere public school and for about six years assisted his father in dairy farming at Mangere. Private Croxson left with the 10th Reinforcements. [AWN 13.07.1916]

CUTLER, Lieutenant Cecil - A telegram was received on Monday from the Defence Minister reporting the death from fever of Lieutenant Cecil Cutler on the 4th inst., probably in France. The deceased officer, who as born in Auckland, a son of Mr. James Cutler, was for many years in the Post & Telegraph Dept and was highly esteemed by a wide circle of friends. He was a member of the Prince of Wales Masonic Lodge and of the local male choir and was most enthusiastic in all musical efforts for charitable and patriotic purposes. [AWN 16.11.1916]

DAKING, Private Cyril, who has died of wounds, was one of the principals of House & Daking Ltd, Hamilton, and was born in Suffolk, England, where his parents now reside. He was 31 years of age and with his partner, Mr. F C House, came to NZ 10 years ago. He entered the employ of Smith & Caughey Ltd and after two years he commenced business with Mr. House at Waihi and later at Hamilton and Te Awamutu, managing the branch at the latter place for the past five years. Mr. Daking joined the colours at Hamilton. [AWN 20.07.1916]

DANIELL, Captain George Edward, M.C., was, prior to enlistment, an officer of the RNZA and was attached to the Field Artillery in Auckland. He left as second in command of No.2 Battery of the Field Artillery Brigade. [AWN 20.01.1916]

DANIELL, Captain G E, killed in action, was in his earlier manhood associated with the Palmerston North staff of the Bank of NSW and NZ Loan & Mercantile Agency Co Ltd. Six or seven years ago he joined the Defence Dept. He joined the main body, being second in command of No.2 Battery, commanded by Major Sykes. He fought through the Gallipoli campaign where he was awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous bravery. [AWN 19.10.1916]

DAVENPORT, Flight Sub Lieutenant Norman R, of Auckland, who is attached to the naval wing of the air service, is having a very varied and interesting experience. Though still attached at an important air defence station he is spending a good deal of time at sea on board one of our seaplane ships, which has a fast seaplane scout aboard. [AWN 01.06.1916]

DAVIDSON, Lance Corporal Karl Nilsson who has died of wounds, was 22 years of age and the son of Mr. George A Davidson, headmaster of the Taumarunui District School. He was educated at the Bay of Islands and Mt Eden schools and the Auckland Grammar School. He was prominent in athletic circles, especially football and boxing and also in social and musical circles, being a fine baritone singer. In military matters he belonged to the Auckland College Rifles and afterwards the 11th, Taranaki, Rifle Regiment. One of the first to enlist on the outbreak of war, Lance Corporal Davidson left with the Wellington Infantry Battalion, served in the fighting at the Suez Canal, took part in the landing on Gallipoli and remained there till after 8 August, when he was invalided to England with dysentery. He rejoined the main body in Egypt and landed in France last April. He served there till his death on 16 September. Previous to joining the Expeditionary Forces he was a clerk in the office of Mr. J F Strange, solicitor, Taumarunui. [AWN 19.10.1916]

DAVIS, Rifleman Sydney, killed in action, was 21 years of age and was educated at the Ngaruawahia and Hamilton schools. For four years previous to his enlistment he was employed by Mr. R W Kemp of Owheua, Tokomaru Bay, as a shepherd. [AWN 12.10.1916]

De TOURRET, Lieutenant - Mr. E de Tourret of Whangarei has received word that his brother had died of wounds at Salonika on 12 May. He had served with the British Army since the outbreak of war. He had just arrived from India on leave when the war commenced and was at once called to rejoin his regiment. He had had 14 years military experience. Mr. de Tourret has two other brothers at the front. [AWN 13.07.1916]

DELANEY, Mr. Hugh, of Matamata, late of Buckland, has received word by private cablegram of the death of his youngest son, Sergeant Arthur W Delaney, who was previously reported as seriously wounded on August 9, and who has now died of wounds. He went through the Gallipoli campaign. He was 22 years of age. Trooper Albert H Delaney, who was wounded on August 7, is making good progress towards recovery and was with his brother when the latter died. [AWN 24.08.1916]

DELANEY, Sergeant Arthur, who was severely wounded on August 9, is the youngest son of Mr. H Delaney, late of Buckland, now of Matamata. He left with the Main Expeditionary Force and was six months in the trenches at Gallipoli. At the end of that time he became ill and was invalided to Cairo. After recovering, he went to the Egyptian frontier, where he was wounded. His two brothers have also been wounded and one was invalided home to NZ some months ago. [AWN 24.08.1916]

DELANEY, Sergeant Arthur, who died on 17 August from wounds received on 9 August, was the youngest son of Mr. Hugh Delaney of Matamata, late of Buckland. He received his education at the Tauranga district school and afterwards at Buckland School. Afterwards he was engaged in farming and station work but previous to enlisting he had studied engineering. He was a member of the territorial force and when war was declared, enlisted and went to Gallipoli as a trooper. For gallantry he soon gained promotion to the rank of corporal and on 27 August 1915 he led a bayonet charge in one of the desperate fights on Gallipoli so successfully that he gained the rank of sergeant. [AWN 21.12.1916]

DENNISTON, Lieutenant James Robert died as a prisoner of war at Ohrdruf, Central Germany, on 9 August, from the effects of wounds. His bi-plane caught fire and he had to descend in the enemy lines. He is the elder son of George James Denniston, Peel Forrest, Canterbury. He was born at Peel Forrest and educated in Wanganui and at Malvern College. He was a member of Captain Scott's Antarctic expedition in 1910-11 and was awarded the King's Antarctic Medal and that of the Royal Geographical Society. He later went into sheep farming. He was also an enthusiastic mountaineer and ascended many peaks of the Southern Alps, several of which have never before been ascended. He also climbed, alone, Mitre Peak in Milford Sound, which before that time had been considered inaccessible. He was a member of the Alpine Club. At the outbreak of war he returned to England and obtained a commission. His brother, Lieutenant Commander George DENNISTON, D.S.O., R.N., is on active service. [AWN 26.10.1916]

DEVENEY, Trooper John M, who is reported to have been wounded on December 5, is the youngest son of Mrs. W Deveney of Takanini, Manurewa, late of Pokeno. He is well known throughout the Waikato, especially in football circles. He played for Bombay. Trooper Deveney is only 20 years of age. At the time of enlisting in the Waikato Mounted Rifles he was farming in the Pokeno district. [AWN 20.01.1916]

DIBBLE. Mrs. Dibble, Ellerslie, widow of the late Mr. A Dibble of Arthur Street, has four sons at the front. Trevor was with the original forces that went to Samoa, Gallipoli and France and was awarded the Military Medal. Three other brothers went away in one reinforcement in the course of the present year - Sergeant Ralph DIBBLE; Private Victor DIBBLE ex John Burns & Co Ltd and more recently farming; and Private Jesse DIBBLE, also a farmer. [AWN 21.12.1916]

DICK, Major Charles, Wellington Mounted Rifle Regiment. After being at Gallipoli for three months, he was wounded and returned by the Rotorua yesterday. He left with the main body of the Expeditionary Force. On the night of August 6, when the Suvla Bay landing was effected. Major Dick was wounded in the forearm. The men charged on this occasion with empty magazines and after a desperate bayonet attack, drove back to the Turks. He went to Alexandria and subsequently to England where an operation on his arm was successfully performed. Major Dick was also high in his praise of the behaviour of the men during the fighting. The people of England had been exceptionally good to both officers and men of the NZ and Australian forces. [AWN 10.02.1916]

DIGNAN, Sapper B L, D.C.M., who has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for services at Gallipoli, is the second son of Mr. P L Dignan, at one time local manager of the Bank of NZ. Sapper Dignan, who was born in Auckland 20 years ago, received his early secondary education at the Auckland Grammar School. Subsequently he attended Beaumont College, England, and at a later date St Patrick's College, Wellington. Prior to his enlistment in the main body of the NZEF as a member of the Signalers Corps, he was employed by Messrs A & F Kelly, surveyors of High Street. Expecting for a short spell of five weeks, he was present during all the heavy fighting at Gallipoli from the landing on April 25 until the withdrawal last month. The honour was conferred on Sapper Dignan for his services in laying telephone wires under heavy fire, in which work he was co-joined with Corporal Cyril BASSETT of Auckland, who was recently awarded the Victoria Cross. [AWN 20.01.1916]

DINNEEN, Captain J D, reported as having died of wounds, was formerly a member of the teaching staff of the Auckland Grammar School. He left NZ in February 1915 to volunteer for service in the military wing of the Royal Flying Corps. In this arm of the service he received a lieutenancy and qualified as a pilot but had to relinquish his commission owing to a defect in eyesight. Qualifying then in infantry work he became a captain in the Auckland Battalion of the Expeditionary Force and in that capacity has lately been fighting in France. Captain Dinneen was a B.A. of the NZ University. His mother, Mrs. M V Dinneen resides in Mountain Road, Remuera. [AWN 19.10.1916]

DIXON, Corporal Alfred Lee, Reported killed in action on July 3, was born at Hokitika 28 years ago. He was educated in the New Plymouth public school and for a time held a position in the New Plymouth Savings Bank. He spent five years in the New Plymouth Borough office under his uncle, Mr. Felix Bellringer, the town clerk. At the age of 22 he was appointed town clerk of Whangarei. [AWN 10.08.1916]

DIXON, Corporal A L, formerly town clerk of Whangarei, has been killed in action. He was held in cordial esteem and deep and respectful sympathy is very widely felt in the town and district towards his relatives. The flag on the Town Hall was flying at half-mast on Saturday. The deceased soldier was looked upon as a capable official. He was closely associated with sport and was a good all-round athlete and a valued member of the Masonic fraternity. [AWN 27.07.1916]

DOHERTY, Sergeant J O, reported wounded on 3 July, is 20 years of age. He is a son of Mr. J Doherty, 87 Newton Road and was educated at the Nelson Street School. He served his apprenticeship as an engineer under Mr. C R Massey. He was an active member of the West End Rowing Club and, prior to the troopship leaving Wellington, took part in the rescue of a comrade from drowning. [AWN 27.07.1916

DOIDGE, Private E B, who is reported wounded, was formerly a member of the literary of the 'Weekly News' and at the time of his enlistment had been for some time in charge of the illustrated department. He first joined the staff in March 1913. He left with one of the early reinforcements and went into camp about one year ago. His brother, Corporal F W DOIDGE, very recently went into the non-commissioned officers' camp. Private Doidge's parents live in Victoria. [AWN 22.06.1916]

DOIDGE, Lance Corporal E B, late of the 'Weekly News' literary staff, who was wounded in France towards the end of May, is making a splendid recovery. A letter just received in Auckland indicates that a shrapnel shell burst almost immediately overhead and he received no fewer than 23 wounds in the back. He was for some weeks in hospital and was then transferred to a convalescent hospital. In his letter he stated that he expected to be back in the trenches by the end of July. [AWN 17.08.1916]

DON, Sergeant Major A M, who is reported to have been wounded, is a son of Mr. J Don of Dunedin and a brother of Mr. J Don of Remuera. He is a married man, his wife now residing at Hastings. He is a fine athlete and also a keen shot and horseman. Sergeant Major Don served in the South African war in the fifth and eighth contingents. [AWN 30.03.1916]

DORE, Chaplain Captain Patrick, M.C., chaplain to the forces, who has been awarded the Military Cross, was one of two Catholic chaplains who left NZ in October 1914, with the main Expeditionary Force. He was attached to the Auckland Mounted Rifles and landed with them when they arrived at Gallipoli. Chaplain Dore was an indefatigable worker in his own sphere and ever at hand to assist in any branch of the work. His name was a household word among the men at Anzac, by every one of whom he was beloved. Chaplain Dore was hit while aiding a wounded man under fire on August 24 and was taken to the military hospital at Devonport, England, where he was lying at the last advices. Chaplain Dore was a native of the South of Ireland, about 30 years of age and came to NZ five years ago, being stationed at Palmerston and Foxton. He was an enthusiastic sportsman and excelled in several branches of athletics. [AWN 20.01.1916]

DOUGHTY, Lieutenant Harry H, who was wounded on 29 June has telegraphed that his injuries are not serious. He is a son of Mr. A B Doughty of the Auckland Savings Bank and is 24 years of age. [AWN 06.07.1916]

DROMGOOL, Trooper Charles, who was recently reported killed in action, was a son of Mr. P Dromgool of Waiuku. At the outbreak of war he left for Samoa as a member of the expeditionary force. On his return he joined the Wellington Mounted Rifles, leaving for the front with the fourth reinforcement draft. Trooper Dromgool, who was 23 years of age, was born at Auckland and educated at the Auckland Grammar School. At the time of his enlistment he was a member of the staff of Messrs Earl & Kent, solicitors. He was a keen sportsman and a popular member of the Auckland Rowing Club. [AWN 24.02.1916]

DU FLOU, Sergeant Leopold Louis J, who has been wounded, is a son of Mr. L J Du Flou, hon. Secretary of the French Red Cross in Auckland and is 22 years of age. He was born in Melbourne, received his primary education at Wanganui, afterwards completing his schooling at St Patrick's College, Wellington. Later he entered the service of the Bank of NZ and was employed at the Auckland branch at the time of his enlistment. Prior to leaving NZ for Egypt he was serving at the forts at Devonport. On being transferred from Egypt to France he gained the rank of sergeant. [AWN 17.08.1916]

DULLER, Private Arthur Lewis, killed in action on 25 September, was the second son of Mrs. M A Duller of New Plymouth. He was born and educated in New Plymouth. Mrs. Duller has another son, H J DULLER, now on his way to the front. [AWN 09.11.1916]

DUNLOP. Sergeant John DUNLOP, reported killed in action on 23 September, left with the main body and was at the landing at Gallipoli. He was a native of Manchester, England, where his parents still reside. His father is at present an engineer on a transport and two brothers are serving in France. He was resident in Auckland when he enlisted. [AWN 26.10.1916]

DYNES, Corporal F R, who received a severe wound in the leg at the Dardanelles and returned to NZ about three months ago, is entering the Thames Hospital to undergo a further operation to have skin grafted to the wound. [AWN 13.01.1916]