Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

EARNSHAWS. The honourable roll of families who have provided three or more brothers for the service of the Empire increases in dimensions from day to day as casualties to one or other of the kinsmen in khaki are reported. It is not given to many to equal the record of the EARNSHAWS of Petone, of whom six have gone to the front and a seventh offered his services but could not meet the medical test, while their mother has six brothers on active service; or the BURNIES of Ellerslie, another gallant half dozen, one of whom has been decorated with the Distinguished Service Medal. The family records of three and even four, soldier sons are now coming daily into evidence, a splendid testimony to the patriotic enthusiasm of young New Zealand. [AWN 26.10.1916]

EAST-ALMOND, Captain G, Australian Permanent Staff, who has been resting at Lemnos Island after a breakdown in health, has returned to Egypt. He is well known in Auckland and was a NZ staff instructor stationed at Paeroa. He left NZ and joined the Australian permanent staff, received a commission and went to the front with the Main Expeditionary Force. He was wounded at the landing and treated at Malta for some time. Captain East-Almond was placed in charge of a machine-gun section and at one stage had 17 machine-guns under his direction. He acted as brigade-major for some time. His wife and child reside in Auckland. [AWN 20.01.1916]

EDMONDS, Rifleman Joseph, reported as having died of wounds on 22 September, was the only son of Mr. & Mrs. J Edmonds of Mackelvie St, Grey Lynn and a grandson of the late Mrs. A COYLE who arrived in Auckland in the barge Brilliante in October 1841. Rifleman Edmond, who was 34 years of age, enlisted at Whangarei about the middle of last year. He was born at Ponsonby and educated at the Newton East public school. [AWN 12.10.1916]

EDWARDS, Acting Sergeant C J K, N.Z.F.A. - Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous bravery on August 27 and 28, 1915, at Hill 60. A fire having been started, as the result of the enemy's firing round a pit containing over 50 high explosive shells, Sergeant Edwards volunteered to carry water to put out the fire and was successful in doing so, although the section was being heavily and accurately shelled the whole time. [AWN 13.01.1916]

ELLIS, Lieutenant Oliver Sydney, who was reported recently as having been wounded at Gallipoli, is a son of Mr. J W Ellis of Muriaroha near Hamilton. He was born at Otorohanga just over 21 years go and received his education at the King's College, Auckland. He was one of the team of New Zealand senior cadets which, after a tour of Canada in 1912, succeeded in bringing home six out of the seven championship prizes competed for. Gaining his commission in May 1913, Lieutenant Ellis was in charge of the Hamilton senior cadets until his departure early in 1915 to join the fifth reinforcement draft at Trentham. He is a good all-round athlete and was a member of the fifth reinforcement representative when they defeated the Wellington fifteen just prior to embarkation for Egypt. Lieutenant Ellis took part in all the heavy fighting at Anzac during August. Later he was placed in command of the remnants of the 16th, Waikato, Company which position he held, as far as is known, until he was wounded. [AWN 13.01.1916]

ELLIS, Private J P, who has been killed in action, came from a fighting stock. He was the third son of Mr. W M Ellis of Mt Eden. Both his grandfathers were Imperial soldiers of the 96th Regiment, one of them fought in the first action of the Maori War at the Bay of Islands. His father also fought in the Maori War. Private Ellis was born in Auckland 35 years ago and was educated at the old Wellesley Street School, now the Normal School. He served his time in Auckland as a compositor and was afterwards employed for nine years, prior to his enlistment, at the Great Northern Brewery. He has four relatives at the front. [AWN 02.11.1916]

ELLIS, Sergeant R F, second son of Howard J S Ellis, Headmaster, New Lynn School, has received the Military Medal. Two brothers are Lieutenant Howard ELLIS, Royal Flying Corps, and Driver C Charles ELLIS, Divisional Signal Company. Sergeant Ellis has been on active service since the commencement of the war. [AWN 21.12.1916]

ELLIS, Lance Corporal William H, who some time ago was reported missing and believed to be killed and has since been reported killed in action, was the eldest son of Mr. Adam Ellis of Rangataua and was 24 years of age. He was for eight years in the Wellington and Auckland offices of the Lands & Survey Dept and was a qualified associate accountant. He enlisted in February 1915, leaving NZ in the following June. In April 1915 he married a daughter of the late Mr. J G ELMSLY. [AWN 21.12.1916]

ELLIS, Lieutenant Philip, Field Artillery, awarded the Military Cross for assisting in removing a large amount of ammunition and high explosives, when his gun epaulments became ignited. He also removed a gun and prevented the spread of the fire. He was under shell fire all the time and his own ammunition was exploding. [AWN 28.09.1916]

ELLIS, Flight Lieutenant S Howard, son of Mr. H Ellis of New Lynn, is in a German military hospital. He took part in a great aerial raid, which accompanied the opening of the Somme offensive. He writes: " "I was brought down by an 'archie' (or anti-aircraft gun) on July 3; I was hit in the left leg which was broken and put me out of action and in the right cheek. The leg is more serious and that is only a matter of a few weeks. I was a bit seedy for a day or so but am now mending rapidly. I have been treated with most wonderful kindness by all ranks throughout, from the man who lifted me out of the machine, which was crashed, to the very able surgeon who now attends me." [AWN 12.10.1916]

ELLISDON, Captain F J H - Son of Mr. F J H Ellisdon of Kingsland, who fell at the Front on 25 September and was named in the published casualty list as Lieutenant, had been promoted to the rank of Captain at the beginning of that month. Evidently he must have been leading his company when he received a mortal wound. [AWN 19.10.1917]

ESAM, 2nd Lieutenant Stanley Owen, reported killed in action, was 24 years of age and was born at Owens Rd, Epsom, where his father Mr. B J Esam, Government district valuer for Auckland, resides. Lt Esam received his primary education at the Newmarket Public School and afterwards attended the Grammar School for four years. [AWN 28.09.1916]

ESSON, Lieutenant Colonel J J, C.M.G., 5th, Wellington, Regiment, left as assistant-quartermaster-general to the NZEF. He was connected with the old volunteer movement for many years and was a prominent officer in the NZ Treasury. [AWN 20.01.1916]

ESSON, Lieutenant Colonel James, 5th, Wellington, Regiment, NZEF, was, at Buckingham Palace, admitted to the most distinguished Order of St Michael and St George. At the same time the King also conferred the Military Cross upon a large number of officers, among them being Captain Eric F W MacKENZIE, RAMC of Wellington, and son of Dr F Wallace Mackenzie. [AWN 01.06.1916]

EVANS, Commander E R G R, CB., second in command of the last Scott Antarctic Expedition, has been appointed to command the Crusader. [AWN 02.03.1916]

FAIRBAIRN, Lieutenant William, killed in action, was the only son of Mr. Andrew Fairbairn of Christchurch. He was only 18 years of age when he enlisted with the Main Body as a gunner in the artillery. He was an old boy of the Waitaki Boys High School where he took a keen interest in the cadet corps. He left the school only a short time before he enlisted. He was promoted sergeant at Gallipoli and received his commission last March. He had been with the NZ artillery throughout without any leave. [AWN 30.11.1916]

FAIRE, Sergeant Clifford S, who has been killed in action, was the only son of Sir Samuel Faire of Glenfield Frith, Leicester, England. Prior to enlisting he was faring in the Waikato. His widow is living at Whangarei. [AWN 12.10.1916]

FALL, Major N S, D.S.O., commenced his military career as a gunner in the B Battery in Dunedin, in which he was captain when he enlisted for service. As acting-major he left NZ with the second reinforcements in charge of the first half of the battery. Major Falls did good work at Gallipoli and is regarded as an ideal officer. He was a prominent member of the Otago Rowing Club. He left a responsible position in the head office of the Union Company in order to go to the front. [AWN 20.01.1916]

FARR, Captain Thos., RNZA, No.3 Battery, Field Artillery Brigade, was instructor to I Battery, Palmerston North, for over two years. He is a clever electrician. Before the reorganization of the expeditionary artillery he was quartermaster sergeant and on the decision to send three four-gun batteries he received a second lieutenant's commission in No.3 Battery. [AWN 20.01.1916]

FEAR, Corporal F J H, D.C.M., whose name appears in this week's casualty list as having been killed in action, was a native of Wellington where his parents have resided for many years. He gained the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry at Gaba Tepe, Gallipoli, as a member of the NZ Engineers, on 9 & 10 June, 1915. He volunteered to demolish a Turkish blockhouse within 12 yards of the enemy's trench, which could be approached only over ground swept by machine-gun fire. Corporal Fear exhibited great skill and courage in approaching and demolishing the blockhouse, being exposed to the enemy's fire for over half an hour. He was accompanied by Sapper E A HODGES, also of the NZ Engineers, to whom the DCM was also awarded for his share in the gallant exploit. [AWN 12.10.1916]

FEARON. Rifleman A E FEARON, who has died of wounds, was the youngest son of Mr. H W Fearon of White Bluff, Hillsboro. He was born in Christchurch. On leaving school he joined the railway service. He enlisted at Halcombe. Henry Guy FEARON, his brother, who enlisted with the main body was killed at Gallipoli. Another brother is a member of the 20th Reinforcements. [AWN 16.11.1916]

FENNER, Captain H R, of Fiji, son of Mr. Fenner, general manager in Fiji for the Colonial Sugar Refining Company, has been wounded while serving in his regiment in the Somme offensive. Mr. Fenner has three sons at the front. [AWN 14.09.1916]

FIELD, Sergeant H J, died of wounds, was for many years a resident of Waikino and an employee of the Waihi G M Co. He was a member of the Ohinemuri County Council, the local school committee and also a prominent figure in athletic circles. He left for the front in August 1915 as a private and was subsequently promoted to the rank of sergeant in the Auckland Infantry Battalion. His brother resides at Eureka. [AWN 19.10.1916]

FINDLAY, Private A J, Canterbury Infantry Battalion - Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (London Gazette, 6 Sept 1915) for conspicuous bravery on 26 April, 1915, near Gaba Tepe, Dardanelles, in rescuing wounded men under a heavy shell and rifle fire on an open beach and carrying them into a place of safety. [AWN 20.04.1916]

FINLAYSON, Private Malcolm I, killed in action, was a son of the late Mr. Alexander Finlayson of Maungaturoto and before enlistment was on the staff of the National Bank. Two of his brothers are serving in France and another, after fighting at Gallipoli, has returned to NZ. [AWN 19.10.1916]

FINLAYSON, Private Malcolm Innes, who was killed in action on 15 September, was the second son of Mrs. & the late Mr. Alex. Finlayson of Maungaturoto. He was educated at the Maungaturoto school, Auckland Grammar School and Auckland University College. He was for some time in a solicitor's office and then entered the employ of the National Bank of NZ. He went to the front accompanied by two brothers. A third brother served on Gallipoli and has since returned to NZ, having lost his right eye. [AWN 19.10.1916]

FINN. The spirit of patriotism has been well exemplified by the sons of Mrs. A Finn of Cleveon South. Four have given their services to the army, while a fifth was prevented from doing so by an accident, just before he was due to go into training with the Main Body. Of the four soldier sons, one, a member of the Main Expeditionary Force, fought through the Gallipoli campaign, was twice wounded and has since been invalided home. The other three left NZ with early reinforcements and have been fighting in France where one of them was recently wounded in the Somme battle. [AWN 21.12.1916]

FITNESS, Lance Sergeant James, killed in action, was a son of Mr. Wm Fitness, farmer, of Razorback. He was educated at the Bombay public school and at the age of 18 years joined the traffic branch of the Railway Dept. He was for three years in charge of the station at Manunui. Sergeant Fitness joined the Rifle Brigade as a private but was early singled out for promotion. He was married on the eve of his departure. His widow resides at Manunui. [AWN 12.10.1916]

FITZGERALD. Two sons of the late Mr. W C FITZGERALD of Wellington, hold the King's commission and are engaged on active service in France and a daughter has enrolled as a nurse. Lieutenant Roy James FITZGERALD, who was a marine engineer prior to the war, is serving in the Gloucester Regt and has been awarded the Military Cross for his conduct in the advance on the Somme. Captain Maurice FITZGERALD is serving in the Royal Engineers, and Nurse Eileen FITZGERALD is under orders to be ready to leave NZ for the front this month. [AWN 21.12.1916]

FLEMING, Gunner Reginald Ivan, who was recently reported grounded, is the eldest son of Mrs. E M Fleming of Church St, Devonport. He was educated at the Remuera and Devonport schools and at St John's College. On the outbreak of war he enlisted in the main body of the Expeditionary Force as a gunner, having been a member of "A" Battery. He had been attached to the headquarters staff and was on the Gallipoli Peninsula for six months. [AWN 15.06.1916]

FLEMING, Gunner Ivan, was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, for bravery in France. Whilst voluntarily undergoing the repair of communication lines to the allies, was wounded in the arm, which was broken, hip, back and shoulder where a piece of metal lodged. [AWN 02.11.1916]

FLEMING, Gunner R Ivan, Third Field Artillery Battery, eldest son of Mr. J H & Mrs. Fleming of Devonport, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He was wounded in France in May and according to a letter received subsequently from a battery sergeant, he sustained his injuries while performing a very brave act. It is now presumed that this has been officially recognised. Gunner Fleming left the Dominion with the main body and saw considerable service on Gallipoli. He was wounded after arrival in France, in the shoulder, hip, thigh and arm but is now reported to be progressing favourably. Prior to enlistment Gunner Fleming was employed by Messrs Abbott & Kneebone. [AWN 12.10.1916]

FOLEY. Three sons of Mr. Foley of Edenvale Rd, Mt Eden, are in the NZ forces. Sergeant E J FOLEY, Main Body, Auckland Mounted Rifles, has been a number of months at Gallipoli where he gained a high reputation for devotion to duty. It was due to Sergeant FOLEY that the Rev Father DORE, Chaplain to his regiment, was carried to the beach in time to save his life. Rifleman W E FOLEY is fighting with the Rifle Brigade and Driver J O'S FOLEY is a member of the NZ Field Artillery. [AWN 21.12.1916]

FORDE, Lieutenant W P, killed, was the son of the late Mr. J B Forde of Waikiwi, one of Southland's earliest and best known settlers. Setting out with the main body as a corporal, Lieutenant Forde's promotion was rapid, he becoming sergeant and sergeant-major before reaching Gallipoli. He went through the campaign on the peninsula and was promoted to the rank of 2nd Lieutenant after the evacuation. He was an accountant by profession. [AWN 24.08.1916]

FRANCIS, Private W J, who died of wounds on 17 September, was the youngest son of the late Mr. G W Francis of Osbourne Terrace, Warrenport, Co Down, Ireland and was 27 years of age. After finishing his education he served his apprenticeship to engineering with Messrs John MacLean & Son, Belfast, after which he joined the firm of Messrs Harland & Wolff, with whom he remained till shortly before he came to NZ three years ago, with the intention of going in for farming. He enlisted in a reinforcement draft from Tauranga, where he was residing with his cousin, Mr. R Francis, and had been in France some time before he met his death. He leaves a wife and child in England. [AWN 30.11.1916]

FRANCIS, Sergeant J H, 1st, Auckland, Battalion, NZ Force, awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous good work in throwing bombs and training bomb-throwers. [AWN 28.09.1916]

FRANDI. The Frandi family of Wellington has five soldiers in its ranks. Captain Ateo FRANDI, killed in action at Gallipoli; two brothers wounded in France and two others still in the ranks. Their father, who is now 84 years of age, fought for Italy's liberation under Garibaldi. [AWN 14.12.1916]

FREDERIC, Captain James, who was killed in Mesopotamia, was born in Invercargill 38 years ago. He was educated in the local high school and went from the Otago University to the London University. He afterwards pursued his studies in France. Captain Frederic returned to NZ and for some years he resided in Auckland. Later he went to Madras and was fighting under General Townshend when he met his death. Captain Frederick's mother resides in Auckland. [AWN 28.09.1916]

FRENCH, Corporal Samuel, aged 30, died at sea on 7 August, was the eldest son of Mr. John French, Te Rauamoa, Waikato. He was born in Auckland and attended Te Aute College, Hawkes Bay. He then farmed with his father but when he enlisted he was working in Westport Harbour Board workshops. He played for the Westport Football Club's senior team when it won the shield at Westport in 1915. He leaves a widow and two children. A brother, Corporal Thomas French, was wounded in the arm in France on 27 September. [AWN 02.11.1916]

FROST, Private, Wellington Infantry Regiment, awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, for assisting an officer to cover during the withdrawal of a raiding party. He twice passed the enemy's wire and rescued two wounded men. [AWN 28.09.1816]

FROST, Sergeant Major William E, who died of wounds received in action, was born at Dargaville and was the eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. T Frost of Te Kuiti. He took an active part in football and was a keen boxing enthusiast. Prior to enlisting for active service he followed the occupation of a plumber. He left NZ as a private in the early stages of the war and served at Gallipoli. That he proved his worth as a soldier is evident by his rapid promotion to the rank of sergeant major. [AWN 07.09.1916]

FURNISS, Private H J, killed in action, was a son of Mr. H Furniss of Waipipi and was nearly 29 years of age. He left NZ early in January last. He was born in Stratford and received his education at the Bird Road public school, Taranaki. He followed various occupations in the Auckland district and just before enlisting was helping his parents and brothers in farming. Another brother, Trooper T E FURNISS, is at the front. [AWN 19.10.1916]