Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

GAINSWORTHY, Private Walter, who has been killed in action, was born at Tiverton, Devonshire. He came to NZ about five years ago and was on the staff of Smeetons Ltd as shipping clerk. He was keenly anxious to serve his country and greatly disappointed with his failure to get away with the main force at the outbreak of war and shortly after left his city position and took up farming in the employ of Mr. Frank Paine, Roto-o-rangi. The open air life had the desired effect upon his health and enabled him to successfully pass the medical test and he enlisted with one of the reinforcements drafts. [AWN 12.10.1916]

GALLAGHER, Sergeant Arthur Walton, of the 2nd Battalion, Rifle Brigade, who was reported to be dangerously ill, is now pronounced out of danger. Sergeant Gallagher, who was born at Taupo in 1893, is the son of Mr. A Gallagher of Gardner Rd, Epsom. Where war was declared he joined the Railway Engineers and was for seven months stationed at Samoa. On his return to NZ he joined the Rifle Brigade as a non-commissioned officer. [AWN 23.03.1916]

GALLOWAY, Lieutenant, was a solicitor in Dunedin before receiving a commission in the 4th reinforcements. He was three months of Gallipoli when he was wounded and sent to hospitals in Malta and England. He went to France last April and was attached to Imperial training camp staff at base camp. He was invalided home as a result of a breakdown. [AWN 30.11.1916]

GAMBLE, Sergeant Major Douglas Hepburn, who has been killed in action, was a son of Mr. W N Gamble of the firm of Messrs Gamble & Griffiths, share brokers, Swanson Street. He was about 20 years of age and was educated at King's College. On leaving school he entered into the employment of the NZ Insurance Co. where he remained until he left for the front in May 1915. He held the position of sergeant in the senior cadets and on being drafted to the territorials he retained that rank. Although a good all-round sportsman, football was his favourite game and he was a prominent member of the Remuera Football Club. He saw about six weeks service at Gallipoli. [AWN 24.08.1916]

GAMBLING, Private Ernest Walter, Reported killed in action, was born in Queensland and came to NZ with his parents. He was 23 years of age. He received his education at the Paeroa District High School and afterwards joined the railway services. He was engaged at Morrinsville at the time of his enlistment. He served his country at Samoa and later proceeded to Egypt from where he was transferred to France. Another brother also gave his life for the Empire. [AWN 03.08.1916]

GANE, Captain Francis Egmont, killed in action in France on 14 May, while serving with the Canadian forces, was a New Zealander, having been born at Normanby in 1885. He was brought up to farming pursuits but went to Klondyke with his elder brother after the latter had paid a holiday visit to NZ from that place. Mining, however, did not suit the younger man and he took up teaching as a profession, later obtaining his degrees of B.A. and M.A. He was on the eve of being married when war broke out and at once enlisted, being appointed a lieutenant and subsequently he was promoted to captain's rank and posted to one of the Canadian Highland regiments. Captain Gane was of the best type of New Zealander, a fine, high-spirited young man and his death has cut short a promising career. His parents still reside at Normanby and will have the sympathy of a large circle of friends in their sad loss. [AWN 15.06.1916]

GARBETT. In the Garbett family of Murchison are four brothers - Alfred made the supreme sacrifice in the Somme battle on 15 September; Harry, wounded there on the same day, now in Brockenhurst Hospital; Amos and William are in the firing line in France. [AWN 14.12.1916]

GARLAND, Lieutenant Hassell de Forges, aged 22, son of Dr Garland of Hamilton, has been awarded the Military Cross. He enlisted in the ranks and left NZ as a 2nd Lieutenant in a draft of Mounted Rifles. He transferred to the Infantry in Egypt, as did all the Mounted men of that draft, and proceeded to France having been appointed small arms ammunition and grenades officer on the staff of General Braithwaite. As far as is known he was still serving in this capacity during the recent fighting on the Somme in the course of which he was wounded. He is an old by of Waitaki High School and was farming in Canterbury at the time of his enlistment. [AWN 30.11.1916]

GEANGE, Trooper Walter - An interesting member of the party of oversea soldiers who attended the entertainment given by the King and Queen at Buckingham Palace was Trooper Walter Geange of the Wellington Mounted Rifles, who has been an inmate of St Thomas' Hospital for some months, suffering from a bullet through the spine. The invitations were necessarily few compared with the number of wounded in London and it was due to Mrs. Irven W RAYMOND that Trooper Geange was one of the guests. Mrs. Raymond, an official visitor of the War Contingent Assn, was especially anxious that Trooper Geange should be included and when her persistent importunities of officials had only extracted a half promise, she finally wrote straight to the Queen. Result - the invitation was received the following morning. Trooper Geange was taken to the Palace in an invalid chair and was wheeled by the Royal butlers into the entertainment room and also into tea. [AWN 01.06.1916]

GIBBS, Sapper Ernest William, Field Engineers, is at present an inmate of the 21st General Hospital at Alexandria. He is reported to be severely sick. He left with the main body of the NZ expeditionary forces. He is the second son of Mrs. J Sykes, of Farrar St, Grey Lynn. He was a member of the Auckland Garrison Band. [AWN 13.01.1916]

GILLESPIE. Another fighting family from the King Country is the Gillespies. One son is now fighting in France, another enlisted but was drowned in the flood last year, and the other three have been accepted and go into camp on December 10. [AWN 09.11.1916]

GILPIN, Private William S, died of wounds, was formerly in the Union Co's fleet. He had been in the company's service for a number of years and was a very promising officer. Just before going into camp he was second officer of the Kauri and previous to that was an officer on the Koromiko. Private Gilpin, who was about 35 years of age, was born at Nova Scotia, Canada, where his parents reside. [AWN 17.08.1916]

GIRVEN. Three sons of Mr. Adam G Girven of Sackville St, Grey Lynn, are helping to uphold the honour of the Empire and all three have suffered scars. Lance Corporal Edward GIRVEN has been wounded twice and on the second occasion underwent the horrors of gas. Robert GIRVEN fought in three engagements in Egypt, without mishap, but since he went to France has been wounded. Ewen GIRVEN has also been wounded but not seriously enough to prevent him from remaining with his unit. [AWN 23.11.1916]

GIVEN, Sergeant J E, killed in action in France on 16 September, was a brother of Mrs. R Hislop, Saturn St, South Invercargill; Mrs. J S Shrimpton, Waikaka; and S S Given, Mahirahau. He was born at Orepuki where he was educated and at the time of his enlistment in the 10th Reinforcements, was engaged as a carpenter in Hastings. He was a prominent rifle shot, being one of the best in the Dominion and was well known in shooting circles about Wellington, where he was a member of the Suburbs Rifle Club. [AWN 30.11.1916]

GLASGOW, Lieutenant Colonel A E, Royal Sussex Regt, has been wounded. He is an 'old boy' of Nelson College and was with the relief force at Chitral in 1895 for which he received the medal with clasp. Two years later he was again fighting on the North-west Frontier of India, receiving a second clasp to his medal and immediately afterwards he took part in the Tirah expedition, obtaining a third clasp. [AWN 1.06.1916]

GLASGOW, Trooper W N, who lost his life while on active service, was 24 years of age, the third son of Mr. W Glasgow, formerly of Onewhero and now of Tuakau. Trooper Glasgow was born at Onewhero and resided there until the time he went to the front. He leaves a wife and two children. His brother Stewart, who served on Gallipoli, died of enteric fever. Trooper Glasgow was formerly a prominent Waikato footballer. [AWN 12.10.1916]

GLASGOW, Major W J T, reserve of officers, has been promoted from Lieutenant Colonel, Royal West Surrey Regt, to be temporary Brigadier-General, attached to headquarters units. He is an 'old boy' of Nelson College and was the first from that school to gain a commission in the Imperial Army. [AWN 01.06.1916]

GOING, Rifleman Percy Stanley, killed in action, was engaged in farming pursuits before he enlisted. His father resides at Maromaku. [AWN 19.10.1916]

GOLD, Private Robert - The Richmond Baptist Church was crowded on Sunday evening, the occasion being a memorial service to Private Gold, who lost his life at Gallipoli. The preacher, the Rev James INGS, based his sermon on the test 'Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted'. The service was a very impressive one. There was a scout parade under Scoutmaster CROW. The choir, under the leadership of Mr. E PATTERSON, sang the anthem 'Lead, Kindly Light'. The late Private Robert Gold had been an earnest worker in the church, of which he was an officer. The pulpit of the church was draped with the Union Jack. [AWN 24.02.1916]

GOODFELLOW, Lieutenant Eric, Killed in Action Mesopotamia 8th March 1916, son of Mr. Thomas Goodfellow, Golf Road, Auckland. Studied medicine in England and volunteered for the RAMC. Then attached to the Royal Field Artillery. Former Territorial (G Battery) in NZ. He was largely responsible for the training of the detachment which secured for G Battery the Artillery Blue Ribbon of the Dominion at the Military Tournament in Christchurch in 1912. [AWN 23.03.1916]

GORE BRETT, Private Merson Templer, Gore Brett, killed in action, was the only son of Mr. Alexander Gore Brett of Burgoyne Road, Epsom, and was in his 22nd year. He was born at Hawera, educated at the Hawera District High School and afterwards at the Auckland Grammar School and he was a keen football and tennis player. Prior to enlisting he was farming at Te Aroha. He attained to corporal's stripes in the infantry before leaving Trentham. He volunteered for machine-gun work as a private and took part in the evacuation operations of the peninsula. [AWN 02.11.1916]

GORRIE, Lieutenant John William - News of the death on active service of Lieutenant Gorrie, youngest son of Mr. H T Gorrie of Onehunga, has been received in Auckland. On the outbreak of war, Lieutenant Gorrie went to England and was given a 2nd Lieutenant's commission in an Imperial regiment. He was killed after having been several months on active service in France. Lt Gorrie, who was 22 years of age, was well known in Auckland and the announcement of his death will cause widespread regret. He was educated at King's College, Remuera, and was engaged in his father's office with Messrs A Buckland & Sons when the war commenced. [AWN 03.08.1916]

GRAHAM, 2nd Lieutenant Cedric K O, Durham Light Infantry, was killed in action in France on 16 September. He was second son of the late William Graham and of Mrs. Graham of Hamilton, Waikato. Before the war he was training as a mining engineer. He received his commission in March 1915. [AWN 16.11.1916]

GRAHAM, Lieutenant Cedric, who was killed in action on 16 September, was the son of the late Mr. W A Graham of Hamilton. He was educated at the primary school and later at the High School there. He subsequently took up engineering, being apprenticed to Messrs Massey Brothers of Auckland. Six years ago he went to sea and 18 months ago he obtained his chief engineer's certificate. [AWN 28.09.1916]

GRANTLEY, Sergeant G R C, who is reported to have been wounded, is the third son of Mr. & Mrs. George Grantley, of Newton Road, Auckland. He is 20 years of age. [AWN 28.09.1916]

GRAY, Lieutenant William Arthur, awarded the Military Cross, of Mt Eden, who is about 27 years of age, is an old boy of the Auckland Grammar School and a graduate of the Auckland University College. He had a brilliant career, both as a scholar and an athlete. After several years at the Grammar School, during which he gained many prizes and scholarships, Lieutenant Gray gained a Gillies Scholarship and commenced further scientific study as an undergraduate at Auckland. Graduating in Science in 1910 he, at the same time gained a senior University Scholarship and the following year took his M. Sc. Degree with first class honours in Mathematics. Subsequently he was engaged in civil engineering in Auckland and followed that profession up to the time of his enlistment. Lt Gray was prominent in Auckland, both as a cricketer and footballer. He was in both the first eleven and the first fifteen at the Grammar School and played for the University Club's senior teams in both branches of sport. He is a son of Mr. S Gray of Essex Rd, Mt Eden. [AWN 30.11.1916]

GRAY, Lieutenant W A, who is reported to have been wounded is the youngest son of Mr. S Gray, clerk to the Mt Eden Borough Council. Lieutenant Gray was educated at the Auckland Grammar School and the Auckland University College, having achieved an excellent record at both institutions. At college he obtained the degree of Master of Science and succeeded in winning a senior university scholarship and the Gillies and Grey scholarships. Subsequently, he studied engineering, obtained the degree of A.M.I.C.E. and entered the employ of Mr. H H Metcalfe. Immediately prior to enlisting he was a member of the district railway engineer's staff. He joined the forces as a sergeant. Lieutenant Gray was well known in athletic circles, having been a member of the University Cricket and Football Clubs and captain of the university fifteen. [AWN 06.07.1916]

GREATBATCH, Second Lieutenant E P, who is reported to have died of wounds, was the only son of the late Mr. Edwin Greatbatch, who was postmaster at Ohaeawai, Bay of Islands, for many years and afterwards at Petone, Wellington. His mother and sisters now reside in New Plymouth. He was educated at Petone and Wellington Boys' College and then entered the legal firm of Messrs Quilliam & Govett, New Plymouth. Four years ago he became a partner in the firm of Rhodes, Hampson & Greatbatch in the Rotorua-Matamata-Putaruru district. Lieutenant Greatbatch was a good cricketer and represented Taranaki when living in New Plymouth. On the mother's side he was a grandson of the late Mr. J Bell Thomson, for some years Inspector of Police in Auckland. [AWN 09.11.1916]

GREENE, Chaplain Captain, M.C. - For the first time in the colonial history of the Salvation Army the honour of the Military Cross has been conferred on one of its members. The recipient is Chaplain Captain Alfred Greene, who has for 20 years been associated with Salvation Army work in NZ. He held the rank of adjutant in the organization and, prior to his leaving with the main body of the Expeditionary Force for Egypt, was in charge of the Workmen's Home in Wellington. He was recognised as an able organizer and it is stated that it was on account of his abilities in this direction that the Military Cross was chiefly done upon him. His work was chiefly done in Alexandria, where he organized a system in connection with hospital visitation and also rendered valuable services in other directions. Chaplain Captain Greene was under fire when the Turks made the attack on the Suez Canal in February last. [AWN 20.01.1916]

GREENOUGH, Captain P B, who arrived home from the front on Tuesday, has been absent from the Dominion since December 10, 1914. He left Wellington with the second reinforcements in charge of the Field Artillery section. He spent five weeks at Gallipoli where he was in command of No.3 Brigade of the ammunition column and going back to Egypt in charge of horses, was attacked by enteric fever and entered a base hospital in November 1915. When the war broke out and the Garrison Artillery was mobilized, he, as major, reported for duty in the local forts and from there proceeded to the front. He is very well known in Auckland sporting circles. He has for many years been an official of the Northern Boxing Association and the Auckland Rugby Referees' Association. [AWN 13.04.1916]

GREENSLADE, Private Walter, who was officially reported wounded, missing and believed to be dead as the result of the early August fighting at Chunuk Bair, left with the fourth reinforcements and served continuously from his arrival on Gallipoli on May 25 until the time of his death. He withstood the climate and campaign splendidly and was in the best of health right up to the end, this being the first occasion on which he had been wounded. In Trentham Camp he was drafted to the 6th, Hauraki, Company and after serving with the infantry in the trenches was transferred to the machine-guns, two of which were hurriedly ordered out on the morning of August 8 last in advance of the main lines. He was fatally wounded while participating in an endeavour to hold a ridge of strategic importance. He was born at Thames where he had experience as a volunteer being in the Hauraki Rifles Co. He followed the vocation of a commercial traveller for many years throughout the province. He resided in the Birkenhead district and is survived by his widow and a son. Returned men from the front have spoken of the manner of his death which, until now, has not been officially reported. [AWN 30.03.1916]

GREENWELL, Flight Lieutenant Arthur of the Royal Naval Flying Squadron, killed, was only 20 years of age. For the last twelve years he lived in Huntly, receiving the chief part of his education there and being engaged latterly with his father at the brick and fire-clay works. Leaving the Dominion in December last he was, on arrival in England, immediately accepted for service with the Royal Naval Flying Corps. His previous studies now came to his aid, and he was quickly placed in charge of a machine. He saw considerable service in connection with the Zeppelin raids and gave promise of a brilliant career. Very genuine and hearty sympathy is expressed for Mr. & Mrs. Greenwell, following so closely on the loss of their second son, George, who was killed on September 16. His brother, Flight Lieutenant N GREENWELL, was badly hurt a few months ago, and another brother, Gunner G Greenwell, was killed on 16 September. [AWN 02.11.1916]

GREENWELL, Rifleman George, killed in action, was the second son of Mrs. & Mr. R Greenwell, manager of the Huntly Brick & Fireclay Co. Ltd., Huntly. He was 23 years of age and left a year ago with the Rifle Brigade. While in Egypt he obtained his machine-gun section in France. He was born in Sydney, NSW, arriving in Huntly some 12 years ago with his parents. He attended the school at Huntly, afterwards joining the staff of the Huntly Brick & Fireclay Co, serving under his father until the time of leaving for camp. He was a keen footballer. He has two brothers on active service – the elder, Flight Lieutenant Mick Greenwell of the Royal Flying Corps, and the younger, Flight Lieutenant Arthur Greenwell of the Royal Naval Flying Corps. [AWN 12.10.1916]

GREIG, Private Benjamin, brother of Miss M Greig, Omana, prisoner of war 25 October 1915, is being well treated by his captors at Constantinople and his health is reported to be excellent. Private Greig has been referred to in a previous casualty list as Private B Grey. [AWN 28.12.1916]

GREY. Three sons of Mr. G M Grey, Kelvin Rd, Remuera, are now on active service. Two have been wounded and Captain A L GREY, the eldest, is still in hospital in England. He was wounded at Flers on 25 September when he led an attack on two German positions, which is company, captured within twenty minutes. During operations following these successes he was wounded, his left thigh being badly broken. The process of recovery may occupy twelve months. He had seen thirteen months fighting in Gallipoli, Egypt and France, practically continuous, without a day’s sickness or casualty of any description up until the attack at Flers. He is now in a London hospital and in a cablegram received on Tuesday last, he was reported to be progressing favourably although still on the seriously ill list. Gunner Alfred Mennons GREY is 26 years of age, born in Canterbury. He was originally in the Army Service Corps as a driver but transferred in Egypt to the Infantry and was subsequently attached to a machine-gun section. While in France he was wounded in the foot by a piece of shrapnel. This necessitated hospital treatment for ten days. Upon rejoining his regiment he participated in the Flers fighting. He also went through Gallipoli and Egypt operations unscathed. Staff Sergeant Eric G GREY, youngest son, left as a Private in the Army Service Corps with an early reinforcement draft. Aged 24, he is presently serving in France. He and his eldest brother Arthur both left Gallipoli together at the evacuation. [AWN 21.12.1916]

GUILD, Private David, died of appendicitis and peritonitis at the 24th General Hospital, Etaples, France, on 4 December, is the youngest son of the late Thomas Guild, formerly of Herdhill, Kirriemuir, Scotland, and of Mrs. Guild, Connell St, Waihi. He worked as a miner at the Waihi Crown Junction Mine. [AWN 21.12.1916]

GUILD, Rifleman David Grant, whose death was recently reported, was the youngest son of the late Mr. Thomas Guild of Kirriemuir, Scotland. He came to NZ over four years ago and worked as a miner in the Grand Junction mine until he enlisted. He was 26 years of age. [AWN 21.12.1916]

GUTHRIE, Captain R Neil, Medical Corps, who has received the Military Cross, is a son of Dr Guthrie of Christchurch. He left with the main body. [AWN 20.01.1916]

GUTHRIE, Captain Thomas Errol, RAMC, son of Dr T O Guthrie, formerly of Lyttelton has been killed in action in France on 2 July. He was born at Christchurch and educated at the Boys' High School. He took a medical course at Home and afterwards underwent special training at Aldershot where he obtained his commission in the Royal Army Medical Corps. Coming eventually to NZ, he entered on the practice of his profession some three years ago in Feilding. Some months ago he abandoned his practice and went to the front. [AWN 20.07.1916]

GUTTERIDGE, Second Lieutenant R Howard, of Auckland, was reported missing on 2 October. He is 25 years of age and the only son of Mr. R Gutteridge, accountant in the local branch of the Colonial Sugar Co. [AWN 19.10.1916]

HALL, Private Archibald Campbell, NZ Medical Corps, aged 27, who died from meningitis at Featherston Military Hospital, was the eldest son of Mrs. M E Hall and the late Mr. Archibald Hall of Huntly. He was employed by the Taupiri Coal Co. at Huntly and was an enthusiastic member of the St Johns Ambulance Corps. He was later a railway porter. He was a volunteer in the 7th Hauraki Rifles and a member of the Huntly Rowing Club and was it's honorary secretary for a season. He was also a successful long distance runner. [AWN 28.12.1916]

HALL, Rifleman William Gordon, died of wounds, received in action on 19 November, was the eldest son of Mr. G W Hall, Puahue, Te Awamutu. He was born in Hamilton 21 years ago, where he received his early education, after which he resided in Te Awamutu. For six years he worked at blacksmithing and just prior to enlisting was employed at Otorohanga. [AWN 21.12.1916]

HAMMOND, Major H H, reported missing formerly captain in the Ellesmere Mounted Rifles, and left with the main body as captain. He was three times wounded at Gallipoli and was invalided to England but on recovery returned to the front. He was a prominent athlete and a leading member of the Lancaster Park Cricket Club. When he enlisted he was sheep farming in the Waiau district. [AWN 24.08.1916]

HAMMOND, Major Herbert Harold, wounded and missing since 9 August, was a single man about 35 years of age, and a son of Mr. & Mrs. J W Hammond of Leeston, Canterbury. He was a member of the Ellesmere Mounted Rifles and a holder of the Tairoa Belt for rifle shooting. At the outbreak of war Major Hammond enlisted immediately and left as Captain in the Mounted Rifles. After being thrice wounded at Gallipoli he was invalided for a time to England. For his services he was promoted Major and since then he has been through the fighting in France. He was an enthusiastic cricketer and a splendid all round athlete. [AWN 21.12.1916]

HAMMOND, Major Herbert Harold, wounded and missing since 9 August, was a single man about 35 years of age and a son of Mr. & Mrs. J W Hammond of Leeston, Canterbury. He was a member of the Ellesmere Mounted Rifles and a holder of the Tairoa Belt for rifle shooting. At the outbreak of war Major Hammond enlisted immediately and left as captain in the Mounted Rifles. After being thrice wounded at Gallipoli he was invalided for a time to England. For his services he was promoted major and since then he has been through the fighting in Egypt. Major Hammond was an enthusiastic cricketer and a splendid all round athlete. [AWN 07.09.1916]

HARDHAM, Captain W J, V.C., Wellington Mounted Rifles. It was most unfortunate that owing to an abscess caused by wounds he had received necessitating his removal to a hospital at Hobart, he was unable to be welcomed as one of the returned soldiers on the Rotorua yesterday. It was understood from a cablegram received yesterday that he was operated upon successfully. Capt HARDHAM earned his V.C. in South Africa during the Boer War under the following circumstances: On January 28, 1901, near Naauwpoort, when, as a non-commissioned officer, he was with a section which was extended and hotly engaged with a party of about 20 Boers. Just before the force commenced to retire a trooper named McCRAE was wounded and his horse killed. Captain Hardham, who was at the time a farrier-major, at once went - under heavy fire - to his assistance, dismounted and placed him on his own horse and ran alongside until he had guided him to a place of safety. [AWN 10.02.1916]

HARDHAM, Captain W J, V.C., Wellington Mounted Rifles. It was found necessary to leave this officer at Hobart, owing to the development of an abscess, resulting from the wound in the lungs which he had received at the front. An operation was decided upon and, though his condition was not regarded as being serious, it was considered undesirable that he should come any further by the steamer and Capt Hardham was accordingly sent ashore to one of the Hobart hospitals. On the arrival of the Rotorua at Auckland, a cable message was received from him, stating that he was progressing well and every possible care was being shown to him. Capt Hardham is a veteran of the Boer war of 1899-1902, in which he gained his Victoria Cross. [AWN 10.02.1916]

HARDING, Captain Ernest Ashley Cable advice received by Mr. Alfred Harding states that his son, Captain Ernest Ashley Harding of Dargaville, who was mentioned in Saturday's casualty list, was only slightly wounded and that he is now in England. [AWN 15.06.1916]

HARDWICK, Private Harry Thomas, killed in action in France on 30 September, was the third son of Mr. & Mrs. W J Hardwick, Te Kowhai and late of Waikino and Bay of Plenty. He was born at Opotiki on 18 September 1895 and educated in the district. He was employed in farming. A brother Private L J HARDWICK is a member of the NZ Expeditionary Force. [AWN 28.12.1916]

HARESNAPE, Rifleman Percival H, killed in action, was the elder son of Mr. & Mrs. J Haresnape of Arawa St, Auckland. He received his education at the Grafton district school and prior to enlisting was employed as a builder. For many years he was closely connected with the Grafton Methodist Church and was a prominent member of its literary society and tennis and football clubs. He was interest in aquatics and was part-owner of the launch Tahuna. [AWN 19.10.1916]

HARLEY, Captain H S, killed in action, went to the Waitaki High School from Nelson, together with the late Lieutenant Athol HUDSON, IN 1905. In 1906 he won the junior swimming championship and for three years in succession, 1910-12, he won the senior swimming championship. He was lieutenant in the school cadet corps in 1911-12 and was also a member of the first fifteen. He took a keen and practical interest in the musical life of the school and was a member of the military band orchestra. [AWN 19.10.1916]

HAROLD, Sergeant Hugh, 10th, North Otago, Regiment, left NZ with the third reinforcements. He landed at Gallipoli on May 8 and remained until September 12 when he received a shrapnel wound. He was invalided to Malta, thence to England. He has now thoroughly recovered and has returned to the front. Sergeant Harold was promoted sergeant while at Gallipoli. [AWN 23.03.1916]

HARRIS, Rifleman R E reported killed in action, was the second son of Mr. William Harris of Te Kowhai. He was born at St Ives, Cornwall. The telegram announcing his death was sent from Wellington on his 23rd birthday on Sunday last. He was educated at the Te Kowhai school and was an active member of the Methodist Church. Though he assisted his father in the general management of the farm, he specialised in bee farming. [AWN 12.10.1916]

HARRIS, Private William John, recently killed in action, was a son of Mr. I Harris of Frankton Junction and was 22 years of age. He was born at Onehunga and educated at the local and Richmond Road schools. He was engaged with his father for some years prior to offering his services to the Empire and was a member of the Frankton Methodist Church, where he acted as organist. [AWN 03.08.1916]

HARTY, Sergeant Lennard P, another recipient of the Military Medal, is a son of Mr. J Kew Harty, district manager in Auckland of the National Mutual Life Assn. Sergeant Harty was a prominent footballer before he took up the military life and was also a member of the College Rifles. Four of his brothers are also at the front. Prior to his enlistment Sergeant Harty was on the staff of the Bank of NZ. [AWN 14.12.1916]

HATRICK, Captain James Grierson, second son of Mr. R H E Hatrick of Northcote, who is reported to have been wounded, was lieutenant of the Birkenhead Senior Cadets and was on the staff of Messrs George Fowlds Ltd for several years. He received his education at the Hamilton primary and high schools. Two brothers have served at the front, the eldest Private Robert F Hatrick, with the Australian forces, first taking part in the capture of New Guinea and afterwards was killed at Gallipoli. Sergeant Hubert Hatrick was also wounded in Gallipoli. [AWN 06.07.1916]

HATT, Lieutenant Alfred R, 16th, Waikato, Infantry Co., who has been invalided home, was continually on duty at Anzac for 97 days and then incapacitated by illness. He returned by the Tofua. He left as a Staff Sergeant Major at HQ Staff, AIB. On April 25 he volunteered and was posted to the 4th Australian Infantry Brigade in Monash Gully, being entrusted with a section of the machine-guns. In recognition of his service with the Australians, he received his commission and was posted to the 16th Waikato Co until the end of July doing duty alternatively at Quinn's Post and the neighbouring Courtney's Post. He enlisted as a youth with the Gordon Highlanders and has served for over 25 years including three campaigns before the present war. Served with the 'Gay Gordons' throughout the Chitral relief in 1895 under Sir Robert Low, also on the Punjab frontier and with the Tirah Expeditionary Force, the storming of Dargai, Bara Valley. Served with the First Gordon Highlanders in South Africa 1899-1902. Was area Sergeant Major at Te Awamutu and Pukekohe. He is now on extended sick leave, residing in Pukekohe. [AWN 03.02.1916]

HAY, Private William, killed in action, was the fourth son of Mr. & Mrs. F Hay of Te Kopuru and was born at Te Kopuru 30 years ago. He received his education at Tatarariki School. Prior to enlisting he was engaged as storekeeper at Tatarariki. His younger brother is at present on active service in France. [AWN 02.11.1916]

HAYDON, Sergeant A, Army Service Corps, has telegraphed to his father, Mr. Edward Haydon of Otahuhu, that he has been promoted to the rank of lieutenant. He left NZ with the main body of the Expeditionary Force. [AWN 02.03.1916]

HEARD, Sub Lieutenant P B V, son of Colonel E S Heard, is posted to the cruiser Devonshire. [AWN 02.03.1916]

HEARD, Private H, who has died of wounds in France, was a member of the crew of the cable streamer Iris before his enlistment and has two brothers in the fighting ranks. Another brother, Gunlayer R HEARD, was on HMS Invincible when she was sunk in the naval battle off Jutland. Private T HEARD is now in the trenches. Private T HEARD has been twice wounded, but has again rejoined his unit. [AWN 26.10.1916]

HELDT, Corporal E R, who is reported to have been killed in action on 3 June, was born at Helensville and was educated at New Plymouth. He was first employed by Mr. J Cobbe, Feilding, and when his parents removed to Auckland he obtained employment with Messrs Smith & Caughey Ltd and remained with the latter firm until the outbreak of war. He was one of the first to volunteer for active service, and served in the Samoan Force for nine months. On his return to the Dominion he joined the First Battalion NZ Rifle Brigade, and was in action against the Senusi on Christmas Day and again at a later date. Corporal Heldt started his military career as a school cadet and later was a very keen territorial. He has a brother on active service in France and another will leave for camp with next Tuesday's draft of reinforcements. His parents reside at Jubilee Avenue, Devonport. [AWN 29.06.1916]

HELLABY, Lieutenant F A, of Auckland, who was attached to the 1st Devons and was mentioned in Sir John French's last despatches, is now attached to the Machine-Gun Corps. His brother, Lieutenant R Sydney HELLABY, has been appointed adjutant to the 42nd Brigade, Royal Field Artillery; and Lieutenant John HELLABY, Royal Horse Artillery, is still with the 2nd Indian Cavalry Division in France. [AWN 02.03.1916]

HELLABY, Second Lieutenant J A E, Royal Engineers, of Auckland, has now his rank of first lieutenant, as also has Second Lieutenant R GOULD, RFA, of Christchurch. [AWN 01.06.1916]

HENDERSON, Captain P B, M.C., NZSC, was for some time prior to the outbreak of war acting as musketry instructor to the Canterbury military district. He left with the main body and was officer in charge of the machine-gun section. [AWN 20.01.1916]

HENDERSON. Private James Roy HENDERSON, who has been wounded in France, is one of three brothers fighting in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force - the sons of Mr. J R Henderson of Clifton Rd, Parnell. Another of the trio, Private Robert HENDERSON, was also wounded lately and is now in England and the third Thomas HENDERSON, is still in the trenches. Private J R Henderson was educated at the Parnell school and was afterwards employed in the News job-printing department. As a hockey player he has been a member of district representative teams and he has also been a cricketer. When war was declared he joined the Expeditionary Force to Samoa and after returning to NZ he went to Egypt with one of the reinforcements drafts. [AWN 09.11.1916]

HENDERSON. Three Thames born sons of Mrs. E Henderson of Surrey St, Grey Lynn, have been in the fighting ranks. Private Claude V HENDERSON and a brother went with the original Expeditionary Force to Samoa and returned invalided. Claude enlisted again and was wounded at Gallipoli. He is now in the trenches in France. Harry L HENDERSON and Wallace HENDERSON have also been in the fighting in Frances and have been invalided to England. Harry is understood to be on his way back to NZ in the Maheno. [AWN 14.02.1916]

HENDERSON, Sergeant (now 2nd Lieutenant) A G, 1st Otago Battalion, NZ Force, awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous and consistent good work in charge of the machine-gun section of his battalion. [AWN 28.09.1916]

HENRY, Private W J, NZ Field Ambulance - Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (London Gazette, 6 Sept 1915) for conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty on 25 April 1915, at Gaba Tepe, Dardanelles. During and subsequent to the land, Private Henry attended on the wounded under a very heavy fire, allowing no danger to interfere with his duties. He invariably showed the greatest courage and presence of mind. [AWN 20.04.1916]

HERBERT, Temporary Captain James Laidlaw, killed in action on 30 September, was the fifth son of the late Mr. J F Herbert of Admore, Kelso, of which property deceased officer was in possession when he enlisted as lieutenant. He was one of the founders of Kelso A & P Society and its first president. One of his brothers, Captain A S HERBERT, is in charge of the NZ Mounted Battalion. [AWN 19.10.1916]

HERVEY, 2nd Lieutenant T P A, King's Royal Rifles, has been killed. He was a son of the Rev J A Hervey was born in 1887 and educated at Haileybury College. Entering the colonial service he was stationed in Fiji. Having volunteered for service, he came to England 12 months ago and went to the front in May. [AWN 16.11.1916]

HETA An old Maori fighting stock is represented by Private William HETA, lately reported wounded in France. He is a son of Mr. Thomas Heta of Poroti and is a descendant of the celebrated chief Hongi who went to England in the reign of George III. [AWN 02.11.1916]

HEYWOOD, Private H L, who is reported to have died of wounds, was the eldest son of the late Mr. Henry Heywood of North Albertland. He received his education in that district and was afterwards employed by the Public Works Dept at Otamatea where he took a keen interest in outdoor sports. Private Heywood was one of the first to answer the call to arms and left for Egypt in 1914. He was wounded twice at Gallipoli and also suffered from an attack of enteric fever. On his recovery he again served his country on the peninsula and took part in the evacuation, afterwards being transferred to France. [AWN 10.08.1916]

HICKS, Sergeant W J, mentioned by our London correspondent as having been awarded the Military Medal, is now second lieutenant, having received his commission while on active service. He is a son of Mr. W J Hicks of Manukau Rd, Parnell. [AWN 14.12.1916]

HIGGINSON, Lieutenant Thomas Cecil, Grenadier Guards, a New Zealander, has been killed in action in France on 14 September. The late officer was the youngest son of the late Mr. H P Higginson, C.E., chief engineer to the Wellington-Manawatu Railway Co. during the construction of the Wellington- Longburn line. [AWN 28.09.1916]

HILL, Acting Sergeant J F, 2nd Battery, N.Z.F.A. - Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous bravery and ability on August 8 and 12, 1915, during the action at Chunuk Bair. In spite of heavy casualties, troubles with equipment and the fact that his gun was under cross fire from two machine guns, he kept his gun in action throughout. He never hesitated to expose himself to any risk, however great, in the performance of his duty and his bravery and devotion were of the greatest service at a critical period. [AWN 13.01.1916]

HILL, Private W G, who has been killed in action, was born at Archhill and was 33 years of age. He received his education at the Newton West school and afterwards serviced his apprenticeship as a painter, being employed for some time by Mr. M J Bennett of Karangahape Road. [AWN 03.08.1916]

HILL, Rifleman E W, killed in action, was the eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. W Hill, Richmond Downs, Walton near Morrinsville, aged 21, born Shaftsbury and educated at Waharoa and Matamata schools. He left with his battalion of the Rifle Brigade, October 1915, and took part in every engagement the Rifle Brigade participated in. [AWN 28.12.1916]

HINTON. A Waikato paper mentions the record of the family of the late Mr. Henry HINTON who came over with Captain STEELE from Sydney in 1863 as a recruit for the 3rd Waikato Militia. There are now thirteen grandsons of the deceased gentleman fighting in the present war. [AWN 23.11.1916]

HODDER, Private Victor J, who was recently reported to have been wounded in the face, is a son of Mr. E A Hodder, 43 Calliope Road, Devonport, and is one of seven brothers who have all seen active service. Four have fought in the present war, one was killed in the battle of Mons, another, who was wounded, has since returned to the front and three others served in the South African war. Private Hodder was employed by the Takapuna Dairy Co. when he enlisted. [AWN 13.07.1916]

HODGES, Sapper E A - see FEAR, Corporal F J H [AWN 12.10.1916]

HODGES, Mr. A G, who was on the staff of Wanganui College for some time before the war broke out, was killed in action on September 15. The third son of Bishop Hodges, assistant Bishop of St Albans and Archdeacon of Bedford, he was 31 years of age. He returned to England just before the war and received his commission in the Bedfordshire Regt in December 1914. [AWN 16.11.1916]

HOGAN, Sergeant G R, who is reported to have died of wounds on 15 September - the day of the New Zealanders' great assault - is a son of Mr. E B Hogan of Browning St, Grey Lynn. In the message sent to the parents the regimental number given does not correspond with that of the soldier in question but there seems to be little reason for doubt as to the identity of the deceased. Sergeant Hogan, who was a native of Auckland, was 22 years of age. He was a wire-worker by occupation and was in the employ of Messrs Eastway Bros of Queen Street. [AWN 28.09.1916]

HOLLAND, Lance Corporal William, reported killed in action, was a son of Mr. Daniel Holland of Farnham Street, Parnell. He was born in this city and received his education at the Marist Bros. school. Lance Corporal Holland served his country during the South African war. He was an active swimming enthusiast and won several trophies in that branch of sport. [AWN 14.09.1916]

HOLLYWOOD. Private E HOLLYWOOD was the son of Mr. Hollywood, Postmaster, Te Aroha, aged about 25, earned his medal in Egypt where during the Turkish attack east of Suez, rode 55 miles in one day laying telegraph lines. He was personally complimented by General CHAUVEL. He had many marvellous escapes from death. On his return he was cheered by the whole of his regiment. [AWN 21.12.1916]

HOLMDEN, Lieutenant T N, has been slightly wounded in Mesopotamia, where he was with the new force for the relief of General TOWNSHEND. Mr. Holmden, who belongs to Auckland, was a member of the main body, NZEF, from which he obtained his commission. He served at Suvla and in both the evacuations of the peninsula. [AWN 01.06.1916]

HOLMES, Sergeant Walter Anderson, who has died of wounds, was born in Dunedin and was educated at Wellington Terrace School and Wellington College. He was a sergeant in the Wellington College Cadets and in 1912 his team won the squad drill competition. He was afterwards sergeant in the Wellington Regiment Territorials. He was stroke of the Boys College boating club and also rowed in the junior fours for the Star Boating Club. He took part in the NZ trench raid on 16 June last and under trying conditions brought his party through and was personally congratulated by both General Birdwood and General Braithwaite and was mentioned in despatches and awarded the Military Medal. He was employed in the Customs Dept, Wellington, when he enlisted. [AWN 30.11.1916]

HOOPER, Lance-Corporal John Charles, Army Service Corps – Distinguished Conduct Medal has been awarded 'for splendid devotion to duty in taking supplies under continuous shell fire'. He was born in Chatham, Kent. He enlisted at Aldershot on February 18, 1906, at the age of 20 years. After serving two years he was transferred to the reserve and came to NZ. When the war broke out Lance Corporal Hooper was living at Kamo near Whangarei and was called up on August 13, 1914. He had been on active service in the Ypres region for 15 months when the medal was conferred on him. His wife, who is still resident in Kamo, has received a letter from Sergeant Major J W MURRAY, 71st Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery, in which the writer pays a tribute to Lance Corporal Hooper's coolness. "the time I was in 123 Heavy Battery as QMS your husband accompanied me every night as driver of the supply wagon. On a great number of nights we were under very heavy shell fire and on more than one occasion his wagon was struck with pieces of shell but always your husband showed that he was made of the right stuff. On these dangerous journeys I was very thankful to feel that I had with me such a reliable man and I always put his wagon at the head of the column as a guide to the others in the rear'. [AWN 30.03.1916]

HORRIBIN, Sapper E, Divisional Signal Service, who was invalided from Gallipoli suffering from enteric has suffered a relapse. He is a patient in Tooting Hospital. Sapper Horrobin came to NZ from England and had been eight years in the service of the Bank of Australasia when he joined the main expeditionary force in Auckland. He had been four months on the peninsula when he was incapacitated by illness. [AWN 13.01.1916]

HOUCHEN. Writing to friends in Hamilton, QSM DARKE expresses gratification at hearing that Chaplain Captain HOUCHEN has been awarded the Military Cross. "If anyone deserves it he does. All the boys who come in contact with Captain Houchen swear by him. He was everywhere doing all he could to secure the wounded, hauling them to some sort of safety until they could be removed by the stretcher bearers, diving sown German dugouts getting blankets to cover them, helping walking cases down to the dressing station and assisting the doctors and rendering first aid. He was too brave, not taking any notice of the shells which were exploding around him." [AWN 21.12.1916]

HOUCHEN, Chaplain Captain Clement, has been awarded the Military Cross. He left NZ in October 1915 as Chaplain to the Rifle Brigade. He has been in the Anglican ministry in the Auckland diocese for about ten years past. His first appointment was as curate of St Peter's, Hamilton and he was afterwards engaged in Home Mission work in Taranaki with headquarters at Inglewood. He was next appointed vicar of St Luke's, Te Kuiti, and he still holds this position. He is a native of Cornwall, England, but he lived the greater part of his earlier life at Takapuna. He has been in France since April last prior to which he was in Egypt. [AWN 16.11.1916]

HOULKER, Major James - A brass tablet in memory of the late Major James Houlker was unveiled in the Nelson Cathedral last week in the presence of a large congregation. The ceremony was performed by the Bishop of Nelson at the request of the vicar (Rev Dr Weeks) on behalf of the Cathedral authorities. The tablet bears the following inscription: "In memory of James Houlker, B.A., LL.B., Major, Canterbury Infantry, New Zealand Expeditionary Force. Died August 10, 1915, from wounds received in action at Gallipoli. 'All power and honour we ascribe to Thee, Who only makes brave.' This tablet is placed here by his friends as a lasting remembrance of a good citizen and gallant soldier." [AWN 10.08.1916]

HUDSON, Lieutenant Athol who is reported 'missing, believed to be killed' was the 1916 Rhodes scholar for NZ. He was a son of the late Dr Jas Hudson of Nelson and four of his brothers are on active service. Lieutenant Hudson was an old boy of the Nelson College and Waitaki High School and was selected on 21 December last as a Rhodes Scholar for NZ, his studies at the Victoria College, Wellington, having been attended with considerable success. He gained his B.Sc. degree at the last examination and was awarded the senior scholarship in chemistry, which he was debarred from holding, as he already had the Rhodes Scholarship. He was a member of the Samoan Expeditionary Force and while at the Islands he attained non- commissioned rank. When he returned to NZ he volunteered for active service abroad and went into camp as a private. At an examination for commissions there were 41 candidates and Mr. Hudson was second on the list. He was very successful in all outdoor sports, having been a notable long-distance runner. [AWN 27.07.1916]

HUDSON, Lieutenant Athol - The manner in which the late Lieutenant Hudson of Nelson, the Rhodes Scholar in France is related in a letter received by his mother from Lieutenant Cyril M Rout. The writer says: "We were both in the same battalion and as old Nelson boys and Waitaki schoolfellows, had a great deal in common. I saw a fair amount of him in and out of the trenches. His loss is felt by us all, as he was carrying out the important work of sniping and intelligence officer. His keenness and energy in making a success of his 'job' as we call it, was recognised and appreciated by his commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel Austin. We who knew him best at times feared for his safety, so great was his coolness and contempt of danger. His death was instantaneous, so he therefore suffered no pain. He was endeavouring to obtain all-important information for a raid we were making. To obtain this he made his way with two of his own men through the long grass into the German wire entanglements. He lay at full length gazing at the German parapet so near at hand. With a whisper and a slight movement he handed the glasses to his corporal alongside him, saying: "I can see three Germans there." A few seconds later he was hit, no doubt by a sniper, death being, as I stated, instantaneous. His two men endeavoured to bring in his body, but had to abandon until nightfall the attempt, on account of the fire opened on the small party. We mourn the loss of a brave man, and only hope that if death should come to us we would be able to leave behind such a record of duty and fearlessness as Athol did." [AWN 28.09.1916]

HUGHES, Colonel John Gethin, C.M.G. - is a well known NZ staff corps officer. He won the D.S.O. in South Africa and was employed on the headquarters staff. At the outbreak of the present war he was appointed to the NZEF as assistant military secretary at Anzac. Colonel HUGHES commanded the Canterbury Infantry Battalion for some time. He later was invalided to London and at the latest advices was still in Wandsworth Hospital, progressing favourably. Colonel Hughes was educated in Timaru. [AWN 20.01.1916]

HUGHES, Private John Frederick, killed in action, was a single man and brother of Miss E Hughes of Kenny St, Waihi. Another brother was reported wounded on 10 September and two other brothers are still in the firing line in France. [AWN 12.10.1916]

HUGHES, Rifleman Walter, killed in action on 7 November, was the fourth son of Mr. A Hughes of Kaipara Flats and was born near Gunnedah, NSW, in 1896, his parents coming to Kaipara Flats in 1897. He went through the cadet’s course and territorial service till he enlisted in November 1915 and left the Dominion in the Rifle Brigade. After serving in Egypt he went to France and took part in the Rifle Brigade's charge on 15 September and other actions. Up to that stage he escaped unhurt, though all the comrades who left NZ with him were killed or wounded. [AWN 30.11.1916]

HULBERT, Captain Leslie, killed, was well known in Christchurch, being a son of Mr. C P Hulbert, at one time Mayor of that city. Prior to enlisting he was in the service of Murray Roberts & Co, Wellington, as an accountant. On the outbreak of the war he was attached to the Garrison Artillery, Wellington, and after serving in the forts left NZ with the first howitzer battery to leave these shores, with the rank of Lieutenant. He served in Egypt and in Gallipoli and at the time of his death was in charge of a heavy trench mortar division. He has three other brothers on active service. [AWN 09.11.1916]

HUNTER, Sergeant Major R Wallace who was killed in action at the front in France on 15 September, was the eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. Chas Hunter of Cambridge and was married to the eldest daughter of Mr. R F Bollard, MP. Prior to enlisting, Sergeant Major Hunter carried on business as a land and commission agent in Cambridge and acted as secretary to the Waikato Central Agricultural Association, to the Waikato Hunt Club and to the Bruntwood Dairy Co. He left NZ with the 9th reinforcements in January last. He was an exceedingly popular young fellow and made hosts of friends in Cambridge and indeed throughout the whole of the Waikato. His brother Corporal Frederick HUNTER, was killed in action in France on 29 June. [AWN 12.10.1916]

HUNTER, Trooper Oscar, reported killed in action, was the eighth son of Mrs. Thos Hunter of Greenhithe. He was born in Yorkshire, England, and came to NZ with his parents very early in life. He was educated at the Bayfield school. He was a keen footballer and represented the country districts. [AWN 03.08.1916]

HUNTER, Corporal Frederick William, who was killed in action on 29 June, was 26 years of age and was the son of Mr. Charles Hunter, the Hamilton auctioneer of the NZ Loan & Mercantile Agency Co, who resides at Cambridge. Corporal Hunter was born at Cambridge where he received his education, first at the primary school and then at the District High School. On leaving school he secured a position in the Hamilton office of the NZ Loan & Mercantile Agency Co and later was placed on the outside staff. He was a splendid horseman and was a familiar figure in the hunting field and was also a keen and skilled polo player. He represented Waikato in the Savill Cup contest in 1913. He left with the 7th Reinforcements. [AWN 27.07.1916]

HUNTER. Mr. C L Hunter, Honikiwi, recently invalided home from Egypt is the brother of Corporal H J HUNTER, fighting in German East Africa and Trooper N E HUNTER of Otorohanga who is in Egypt. Two other brothers are fighting in France. [AWN 21.12.1916]

HURLEY, Private Thomas Richard, who has died of wounds, was the third son of Mrs. & the late Mr. Henry Hurley of Upper Waiwera and was 21 years of age. After service on Gallipoli he was invalided to Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool, slightly wounded and suffering from shell shock. After eight months stay in England he rejoined in France where he received the wounds, which resulted in his death. He enlisted from Kihikihi, where he was in the employ of a business firm. His brother Private James HURLEY, was lately reported wounded. [AWN 19.10.1916]

HUSBAND, Private H H, who was recently admitted to St Patrick's Hospital, Malta, is a son of Mrs. J Wesley of Huntly. He was born in the Nelson district 22 years ago and received his education at Nelson College. On leaving school he joined the Post and Telegraph Dept and was for six years attached to the staff of the Chief Post Office in Auckland. He enlisted with the fifth reinforcement draft of the NZEF and took part in the fighting at Anzac from August onwards. [AWN 17.02.1916]

HYLTON, Trooper Thomas, killed in action, was the youngest son of Mr. Thomas Hylton of Seaforth, Liverpool, England. He was born at Carlisle, Cumberland, England and was 24 years of age. After travelling over a large portion of the British Empire, he came to NZ a few years ago and was engaged in mining for some time. Later on he took up farming and at the time of his enlistment was engaged in the Maramarua district. He left NZ last year and was engaged against the Turks at Gallipoli. [AWN 27.07.1916]