Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

INGLIS, Fitter D C, N.Z.F.A., 2nd Battery - Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous gallantry and ability on August 8 to 12, 1915, at Chailak Dere. At one time three guns of the battery were out of action through being hit by bullets, breakages or other damage. Fitter Inglis, assisted by another man, managed to get them all in action again, and to keep them going. To effect this he had, on more than one occasion, to strip and repair the guns while under heavy fire. His coolness and bravery were most marked and his work highly valuable at a critical time. [AWN 13.01.1916]

INNES, Dr A J of Auckland, is a lieutenant in the RAMC, stationed at Chelsmford. [AWN 01.06.1916]

INNES JONES. The family of Mr. Herbert F Innes Jones of Te Awamutu, is able to show a good record as a fighting family. Five of six sons of the family have enlisted. The other son also offered his services but failed to pass the medical test. Sergeant Melville INNES JONES and Troopers Howard & Evan INNES JONES left with the main body. Their brother Herbert, who is married, went on the hospital ship Maheno with the medical corps. The youngest son Humphrey, is now serving in France. All except Humphrey have been invalided home, wounded or sick. Melville and Evan fought in the early days at Gallipoli, both being severely wounded. Melville was first wounded in the hand but he would not leave the trenches. Later on he was shot through the head, the bullet entering in front of one ear and emerging at the other side of the head. His jaw was shattered but although he was hardly expected to survive his injuries, he has recovered sufficiently to again offer his services but has not yet been passed as fit for another campaign. [AWN 16.11.1916]

IRVINE, Trooper Thos., who died of wounds in France, was a son of Mr. John Irvine, contractor, of Auckland. He was educated at Taupaki public school, was foreman of works for his father and at the time of enlistment was foreman in the concrete department for the Hamilton Borough Council. He was 34 years of age. [AWN 12.10.1916]

ISITT, Private Willard, killed in action, was the younger son of Mr. L M Isitt, M.P. aged about 23 years of age. He was engaged in his father's bookselling business when he enlisted. Mr. Isitt's only other son was wounded in the Somme battle and is progressing favourably in hospital in England. [AWN 16.11.1916]

JACQUES. Mr. W P Jacques, Otahuhu, has three sons in uniform. Private William JACQUES enlisted early in the war, another will be leaving shortly with a reinforcement contingent and a third has lately gone into a training camp. Official information two months ago stated that Private William JACQUES had been wounded but a letter from Rev Clement HOUCHEN, Military Chaplain, makes it clear that William was wounded on 16 September and died the same evening. Before enlistment he was working on his father's farm. [AWN 14.02.1916]

JAMIESON, Trooper Alfred Ernest, who has been wounded, is a son of Mr. Andrew Jamieson of Cambridge. He was born at Stratford, Taranaki, in which town he received most of his education. Trooper Jamieson, who has a brother also serving his country, won a cash prize while stationed at Trentham for being the best shot in the A & B Squadrons. Prior to enlisting he was engaged in farming. [AWN 24.08.1916]

JENKINS, Sergeant F, 2nd Co., NZ Divisional Train, awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, for a considerable period he performed the duties of an officer and by his ability, application and sound common sense was equal to all emergencies. [AWN 28.09.1916]

JENNINGS. Mr. W T Jennings, M.P. for Taumarunui, has also lost two sons in the war, one being killed at Gallipoli, whilst another died from wounds received at Loos. A third son is on active service. [AWN 16.11.1916]

JERVIS, Rifleman Desmond G, who has died of wounds received in action, was the only son of Mr. H M Jervis of Suva, Fiji, and Mrs. Ada Jervis, Tainui Road, Devonport. He was educated at the Remuera and Devonport schools and was prominent in athletics. Before enlisting he was trading in the Islands where he lived for 4 1/2 years. During that time he won the 100 championship of Ba River, competing against men from the surrounding districts, much to the delight of the Fijians, who carried him shoulder high over the sports ground and gave a feast to celebrate the occasion. He gave up his business to come back to Auckland where he enlisted last December. [AWN 23.11.1916]

JOHNSON, Gunner G F, NZFA, who left Auckland with the fourth reinforcements, has been discharged convalescent from the Pont de Koubbeh Hospital, Cairo. Gunner Johnson is well known in Auckland, having taken an active interest in football. His mother resides in Kiwi Road, Devonport. [AWN 09.03.1916]

JOHNSON, Trooper Charles B, of the Auckland Mounted Rifles, who died of wounds on January 21 in hospital at Alexandria, Egypt, was the eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. James Johnson of Mangaiti, Te Aroha. He was educated at the Te Aroha District School. On completing the course there he engaged in farming pursuits on his father's property at Mangaiti till he enlisted with the sixth reinforcements. He was exceedingly popular and his old school-fellows and many friends have learned of his death with much regret. [AWN 09.03.1916]

JOHNSON, Sergeant Hubert A, lately reported as wounded, is one of four brothers in NZ's Army. He is the fifth son of Mr. Henry Johnson of the Hukerenui stud farm and before his enlistment was engaged at bush work in the Northern Wairoa district. Sergeant JOHNSON is a noted athlete and holds two gold medals for football. As a boxer he won the heavyweight competitions of his day at Trentham and also held his own against all comers on the transport, which took him to Europe. Two of his brothers are now at the front and one is in camp. It is noteworthy that he is a member of a family of thirteen. [AWN 16.11.1916]

JOHNSON, Captain O P, killed in action, was 24 years of age and the son of Mr. J C Johnson of Kauri, North Auckland, who contested the Bay of Islands seat as a supporter of the Reform Party on one occasion. Deceased held the rank of lieutenant when he left NZ and was engaged at Gallipoli where he was wounded. A brother, Sergeant Major Johnson, was also wounded at Gallipoli. [AWN 07.09.1916]

JOHNSON, Captain O P, who has been killed in action, was 24 years of age and was the son of Mr. J C Johnson of Kauri who contested the Bay of Islands seat as a supporter of the Reform Party on one occasion. The deceased held the rank of lieutenant when he left NZ for the front and was engaged at Gallipoli where he was wounded. A brother, Sergeant Major JOHNSON, was also wounded at Gallipoli. [AWN 31.08.1916]

JOHNSON, Captain O P, killed in action, was 24 years of age and the son of Mr. J C Johnson of Kauri, North Auckland, who contested the Bay of Islands seat as a supporter of the Reform Party on one occasion. Deceased held the rank of lieutenant when he left NZ and was engaged at Gallipoli where he was wounded. A brother, Sergeant Major JOHNSON was also wounded at Gallipoli. [AWN 21.12.1916)

JOHNSON, Lieutenant W E, Te Kuiti, left in April last and has returned to recover his health, which had broken down as a result of exposure in the firing line. [AWN 30.11.1916]

JONES, Private Louis Kennedy, killed in action, was a son of Mr. P C Jones of Napier. Before enlistment he was in the employment of Messrs Richard Arthur & Co., Auckland, as storeman. [AWN 02.11.1916]]

JONES, 2nd Lieutenant Griffith Rogers, whose name appeared among the list of wounded, was the youngest son of the late Rev Griffith Jones of Waipu. He came to Auckland from Wales with his parents over 20 years ago and was educated in the city. He afterwards entered the teaching profession, being for some years first assistant at the Devonport School and later first assistant at the Mt Albert School. In a private cablegram received in Auckland, he states that his injuries are not serious. [AWN 22.06.1916]

JONES, Private Charles Roger, son of Mr. Thos A Jones, Auckland, has been killed in action when he volunteered to go out with a squad to bring in wounded from the first line trenches and while on that dangerous work was struck by a shell. Letters from comrades speak very warmly of Roger Jones's manly qualities and cheerfulness, which endeared him to officers and men alike. [AWN 07.12.1916]

JONES, Private Charles Roger, killed in action 22 September, left NZ with the reinforcements at the end of last year. He was 23 years of age, born in Woodhill, being educated at the public school there, of which his father, Mr. T A Jones, was headmaster. Later he attended Auckland Grammar School. [AWN 12.10.1916]

JOSS, Private Charles, who was reported missing on 27 September and has since been reported killed in action, was 28 years of age and a brother of Mrs. B McGee, Ethel St, Eden Terrace. He had been in the firing line for about three months at the time when he was missed. [AWN 21.12.1916]