Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

MACEFIELD, Private William Howard Spinley, who has been killed in action, was the second son of Mr. & Mrs. William Macefield of Tauranga. Private Macefield, who was born in the Kaipara 20 years ago, was educated privately for a time, later at the Grafton school and then at the Auckland Grammar School for four years. Prior to enlisting he was a member of the staff of the Auckland branch of the National Bank of NZ. While at school he won a badge for rifle shooting. His eldest brother is on active service. [AWN 17.08.1916]

MAHONEY, Private F, Wellington Battalion - Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous gallantry and resource on the night of August 26-27, 1915, during operations on the Gallipoli Peninsular, when he volunteered to go out to rescue some men who had been isolated within the enemy's lines for fifteen days. It was a mission of great difficulty and danger and by his coolness and knowledge of scouting; he greatly contributed to the success of the search and ultimate rescue of the missing men. [AWN 13.01.1916]

MALLETT With reference to the two brothers MALLETT whose names have appeared in the casualty lists, we are asked to make it clear that it was Joshua George Reuben MALLETT who was killed in action, and Joseph MALLETT who was wounded. [AWN 02.11.1916]

MANGAROA, Ngore William The young native, who left Taumarunui with the first Maori contingent, and whose death from pleurisy at Malta has just been reported, was a fine specimen of young manhood. He was of splendid physique, high intelligence and good education. [AWN 13.01.1916]

MARCHANT, Lieutenant Lawrence Allman, brother of Mrs. J M Mowbray, Remuera, has been wounded in action on 6 September. He is the youngest son of Mr. J W A Marchant, formerly surveyor-general of the Dominion. Mrs. Mowbray has three brothers serving in the Imperial and NZ forces at the front. [AWN 14.09.1916]

MARSHALL, Lance Corporal Henry Herbert, who has been wounded in action, is the eldest son of Mr. Jacob Marshall of Glenfield. He was educated at the Glenfield school and was for some time afterwards employed in the Ngaruawahia district. He was more recently employed by the Auckland Harbour Board. [AWN 24.08.1916]

MARTIN. There are a number of NZ Army nurses on board the hospital ships Egypt, including Misses F SIDDELLS, Wanganui; E M MARTIN, V P BAYLY and K E WRIGHT, of Auckland, and A BUCKLEY, of Waimate. [AWN 01.06.1916]

MARTIN, Trooper Harold, a young soldier farmer of Pahiatua district; Writing on 30 September from Kantara, Egypt, he informed a friend that '.....he was marched before the Colonel to be told he had been awarded the Russian order of St George for distinguished service in the field....believed to be the first one awarded to a member of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Forces...' [AWN 30.09.1916]

MARTIN, Private Wm, son of Mrs. Martin, Whau Whau Valley, Whangarei - "I am quite well & faring alright as a prisoner of war. Reply can only be four lines. Please give my address to all." The card bore an official stamp with the postmark "Afion Kara Hissar' (Turkey), transmitted through the agency of the International Committee at Geneva of the Red Cross Society. Private Martin is obviously one of several men, including 3 from Waipu, who were some time ago reported as having been cut off from the main forces and taken prisoner of war by the Turks. [AWN 23.11.1916]

MARTIN, Dr Arthur A, of Palmerston North, NZ, has died of wounds in the NZ Stationary Hospital in France. He was wounded on the Somme front. [AWN 28.09.1916]

MASSAM, Private Arthur, who left NZ with the main body as a member of the Auckland Infantry machine-gun section, was, when the last mail left England, about to rejoin his regiment. He was on the peninsula 18 weeks, taking part in all the actions during the period in which the regiment was engaged and although his clothing was pierced by bullets, he escaped injury. He was finally incapacitated by bronchitis and exhaustion and was sent to England. He remained in hospital in Birmingham for a fortnight only and was then discharged on leave. Private MASSAM is the eldest son of Mr. Joseph MASSAM of York Street, Parnell. [AWN 03.02.1916]

MATHER, Sergeant Clifford W, who died of wounds, was a son of the Rev J J Mather of Mt Eden. He was 27 years of age and had been in France for three months. On 24 June he was severely wounded in the back and died six days later. Sergeant Mather was educated at the Christchurch Boys High School and Palmerston North High School. On leaving the latter institution he went to his uncle, Mrs. Charles Bayly, at Toko, Taranaki, and took up farming, remaining with Mr. Bayly until he enlisted. For several years he controlled one of Mr. Bayly's estates at Glorit, Kaipara. He was of fine physique, standing over 6ft, and excelled in all branches of sport. As a farmer he was noted for his sound judgment. His uncle, Mr. Charles Bayly, a large landholder and one of the famous Taranaki football family, some time ago went to England to offer his services to the Imperial Govt and is now in the Inns of Court Officers' Training Corps. A younger brother of Sergeant MATHER is now in training in Trentham. [AWN 13.07.1916]

MATTHEWS, Temporary Corporal G W, who has laid down his life at the front, was born at Kamo and was 24 years of age. He was employed on city corporation work at Wellington at the time of the declaration of war and immediately enlisted in the advance guard for Samoa. Prior to that he had been in the territorials at Whangarei and at Wellington. Returning to NZ after eight months' service he re-enlisted in the Rifle Brigade. A younger brother was killed on the peninsula. [AWN 19.10.1916]

MAYS - An information was received last week by Mr. James Mays of Devonport that his youngest son, Sergeant Major J E MAYS, was wounded on October 30. Before enlistment Sergeant Major Mays, who is 22 years of age, was foreman to Messrs Mays & Gordon, contractors. As a lad he was patrol leader to the Devonport Boy Scouts and afterward he was a sergeant in the Devonport Senior Cadets up to the time of his enlistment. His brother has just left Auckland to join the Royal Naval Motor-boat Patrol. [AWN 23.11.1916]

McALPINE, Corporal Leslie Duncan, reported as killed in action, was the eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. Frederick McAlpine of Glenfield and was 19 years of age. Prior to his enlistment he was engaged as a box maker at the Chelsea Sugar Works. He was for some time a participant in the fighting at Gallipoli, where he was injured and later took up the duties of a medical orderly. Serving in that capacity, he was one of those who experienced hardship in the Marquette disaster and was only rescued after being in the water for several hours. Corporal McAlpine was afterwards transferred to France with an infantry unit. [AWN 03.08.1916]

McBRIDE, Rifleman Andrew, killed in action on 15 September, was a son of Mrs. J McBride of Kaukapakapa. Prior to his enlistment he was employed in the timber industry at Piha. He was well known in connection with football, cricket and other athletic games in the Kaipara district. [AWN 12.10.1916]

McCONKEY, Private Thos. A, a native of Te Awamutu, who went to Egypt with the fourth reinforcements, died at the Hamilton Hospital on December 23. He joined the navy at the age of 19 years and served on the Pioneer and the Pyramus. Whilst in Egypt he contracted consumption and was invalided to NZ. After being for some time in the Auckland Hospital he was sent to the Hamilton Hospital. The late soldier was buried at Paterangi with military honours. [AWN 13.01.1916]

McCORMICK, Rifleman, along with Riflemen LEPPER and NIMMO, NZ Rifle Brigade, was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, for bringing in wounded under heavy fire. [AWN 28.09.1916]

McDERMOTT, Driver Hugh K, recently reported wounded, is a son of Mr. M McDermott of Cambridge. He was born and received his primary education in that town where he won a scholarship. After finishing his education at the Auckland Grammar School, he returned to Cambridge and took up service on the staff of the Bank of NZ. Later on he was transferred to Kaponga and was located there at the time of his enlistment. [AWN 14.09.1916] McDONALD The household of Mr. D McDonald of Fendalton, Canterbury, has provided five soldiers for the Empire. One of their number, Private Colin McDONALD, was killed in action on 25 September. Three of his brothers are at the front and a fourth has enlisted and will go into camp with the next draft. [AWN 30.11.1916]

McDONALD, Private Sydney Ernest, who was wounded on 7 June, is the son of Mr. J McDonald of Whangarei. He left NZ with the 5th Reinforcements and took part in the battle fought on Gallipoli on 6 August and following days. Subsequently he became ill and was admitted to hospital. He has always taken a keen interest in military matters, being an enthusiastic rifle shot. He won the marksman's bade when 17 1/2 years old. [AWN 13.07.1916]

McGAHAN, Sergeant C W - Among the list of those reported killed in action is the name of Sergeant C W McGahan. He was born at Tuakau and educated at the Whangarata Public School and later attended the Auckland Grammar School. Prior to enlisting with the Samoan Advance Guard, he was employed on the railway, being stationed at Ohakune. Returning from Samoa, he joined the Expeditionary Forces. [AWN 12.10.1916]

McGAHAN, Sergeant Charles W, killed in action, was the son of Mrs. T McGahan of Tuakau. He was formerly attached to the district engineer's office of the Railway Dept in Auckland. [AWN 19.10.1916]

McGARRIGLE, Driver James Patrick, youngest son of Mrs. A McGarrigle of Hamilton, of which town he was a native. He was educated at the Auckland Grammar School and at St Patrick's College, Wellington. He was well known in sporting circles throughout the Waikato, having for a number of years occupied the position of secretary to the Hamilton Football Club and of the South Auckland Rugby Union. The Royal Humane Society's certificate and bronze medal were possessions of the deceased soldier, having been awarded in recognition of brave actions performed in peace time. Driver McGarrigle took up his residence in Australia some years ago and subsequently entered into business on his own account at Hornsby, Sydney. He leaves a widow who resides at Glebe, a suburb of Sydney. [AWN 27.07.1916]

McGARRIGLE, Gunner James Patrick, recently killed in action, was the youngest son of Mrs. McGarrigle of Hamilton, in which town he was born. He was educated at the Grammar School and also at St Patrick's College, Wellington. He was engaged in Sydney at the time of his enlistment. Gunner McGarrigle held the Royal Humane Society's certificate and bronze medal for life-saving. He leaves a wife who resides at Glebe, Sydney. [AWN 31.08.1916]

McGLASHAN, Sergeant R T, wounded in France about July 9, is a son of Mr. & Mrs. L W McGlashan of Stanley Bay. Sergeant McGlashan was for some years in the employ of Messrs Briscoe & Co. His elder brother Driver L McGlashan, was wounded on May 24. [AWN 10.08.1916]

McGREGOR, Second Lieutenant Alan Godfrey, who was wounded on 17 June, is 22 years of age and is the eldest son of the late Mr. W A McGregor, and Mrs. M McGregor of Ponsonby Road. He was educated at the Auckland Grammar School and later at Wanganui College. He subsequently entered the office of his uncle, Mr. M G McGregor, solicitor. [AWN 29.06.1916]

McKAY, Trooper Alex. D D, killed in action on August 8, was a son of Mr. J M McKay JP, of Mountfield, Waipu. He was 31 years of age and was the first to enlist from Waipu and set an example which has since been followed by nearly all the eligible Waipu men. His brother, Edwin McKAY, left with the fifth reinforcements. [AWN 30.03.1916]

McKAY, Sergeant Alex. P, killed in action, was a son of the late Mr. John J McKay of Millbrook, Waipu. For many years he was an officer of the North Auckland Mounted Regiment and the Waipu Scottish Horse under the volunteer system. [AWN 30.03.1916]

MACKIE. Private William K MACKIE, reported wounded in the jaw, is the youngest son of Mr. Joseph Mackie, secretary to the North Auckland Farmers Co-operative Assn, Whangarei. Prior to leaving NZ with the main body, Private Mackie was employed by Messrs A S Paterson & Co and formerly by Messrs Dalgety & Co. in Auckland. On the peninsula he was in General Godley's bodyguard. Since going to France he had been trained as a sniper and at the last competition at the sniping school, his score was third on the list out of 100 men taken from the different battalions. Another brother is also in France and a third brother is in training with the nineteenth reinforcements.

McKEE. Lieutenant Fred G McKEE, killed in action, was one of the first to enlist and left with the Main Body as a sergeant. He was in the thick of the fighting with the Turks at the Suez Canal, at the time of the death of Private Ham of Motueka, the first New Zealander to be killed in action. He was at the evacuation and soon after returning to Egypt was given a commission. Lieut McKee, who was 24 years of age, was a son of Mr. Arthur McKee of Nelson, well known in the fruit-growing world. Frank McKEE, a brother, was wounded on 16 September. Another brother, Lieutenant A McKEE, leaves with the twentieth reinforcements. [AWN 26.10.1916]

McKENZIE, Private Bertram, well known resident of Onerahi, Whangarei. Left NZ with the 6th reinforcements of the Auckland Infantry Battalion. He spent six weeks in the firing line at Gallipoli and went through the campaign uninjured. He found life in the trenches very interesting and exciting and enjoyed the experience. At the time of writing Private McKenzie was stationed in the tents at Egypt. Work was strenuous a great deal of the time being taken up in route marches and across the heavy sands. He said he had enjoyed good health throughout the period he has been on active service and was well and happy when he wrote. [AWN 16.03.1916]

McKENZIE - Two deaths - one of a patient and one of a member of the staff - occurred during the voyage home of the Maheno. (See LIND) During the stay at Albany, Staff Sergeant Major McKENZIE, while returning to the ship in a local launch, was accidentally drowned by the swamping of the launch. The deceased, who was formerly on the household staff of His Excellency the Governor, the Earl of Liverpool, has no relatives in NZ. [AWN 21.12.1916]

McKINNON, Private J, killed in action on 20 September, was a single man and had been farming at Tauhei near Morrinsville for some years. [AWN 12.10.1916]

McKINSTRY, Private George Lee, who was killed in action in May 29 was 23 years of age and was the eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. L McKinstry, of Sarsfield St, Ponsonby. He was educated at the Ponsonby school and the Auckland Grammar School and subsequently took up the carpentering trade. Prior to the war Private McKinstry was a member of the 3rd, Auckland, Regiment and at the outbreak of hostilities he joined the Samoan Expeditionary Force. He then went to Trentham and sailed later for the front. Sapper L McKinstry, a younger brother, died in camp at Trentham eight years ago. [AWN 22.06.1916]

McLARIN, Trooper Francis William, reported severely wounded, is the third son of Mr. J W McLarin of Kainui Estate, Patumahoe, and is 24 years of age. He left NZ with one of the early reinforcement drafts and served at Gallipoli, being present at the evacuation. At the time of enlisting for active service he was working on a farm in partnership with his brother. The latter and another brother Charles also served at Gallipoli. The McLarin brothers are all well known as prominent footballers in the Pukekohe-Patumahoe district. [AWN 31.08.1916]

McLAUGHLIN, Private Henry James, who was killed in action on 27 May, was 28 years of age, and was the youngest son of the late Mrs. Mary McLaughlin of Ahaura, Westland. He was educated at the Ahaura school and he afterwards entered the Railway Dept, being stationed for a number of years in the West Coast and Auckland districts. Subsequently he joined the Lands Department and was engaged in dredging operations sty the Rangataiki Swamp, Bay of Plenty, at the time of his enlistment. Private McLaughlin took a prominent interest in athletic sports, such as football and running. [AWN 15.06.1916]

McLENNAN, Private A, son of James McLennan of Eureka, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for gallantry in the field. [AWN 21.12.1916]

MACLEOD, Sergeant J A, who is reported severely wounded and in hospital in London, is a son of the late Mr. Donald Macleod of Palmerston South. When he enlisted he was branch inspector in NZ for the Bank of Australasia and prior to that had been manager successively of the bank's branches at Tauranga, Te Puke, Rotorua and Hawera. His youngest brother was killed in action at Gallipoli. [AWN 07.12.1916 McLEOD, Private William, who is reported to have been wounded in the face by shrapnel, left with the fourth reinforcements for the Auckland Infantry Battalion. He is the eldest son of Mr. William McLeod. His younger brother, Private James McLeod, 16th, Waikato, Company left with the main force and was wounded some months ago. In his last letter, written from St Andrew's Hospital, Private McLeod said he expected to return to the front a month later. [AWN 30.03.1916]

McLEOD, Trooper Colin D, reported missing on 3 August, was born at Waipu 31 years ago and is the fifth son of Mrs. B McLeod of that district. Prior to enlisting in the fourth reinforcements he had been engaged in the timber industry in various parts of North Auckland. He was interested in military matters for a number of years and, being an experienced horseman, was a member of the Marsden Mounted Rifles under the volunteer system. He was four months at Gallipoli prior to the evacuation in December last. His youngest brother Neil was killed in action in June of last year. [AWN 14.09.1916]

McLEOD, Sergeant J D, killed in action, was a son of Mr. D McLeod of Hikurangi. At the time of his enlistment he was in charge of the Tangowahine public school. [AWN 19.10.1916]

McMILLAN, Private Len, who is reported missing, is a son of Mr. & Mrs. J McMillan of Grosvenor St, Cambridge. He is 24 years of age and was educated at the Cambridge District High School. He served for four years in the territorial forces and after leaving NZ was in training in Egypt for some months. On being sent to France he joined the Waikatos in May of this year. He was a clean sportsman, a fine shot, a keen huntsman and was regarded as one of the best horsemen in the Waikato. His brother, Private Thos McMILLAN and his cousin, Private Herbert REYNELL, have both been wounded. [AWN 16.11.1916]

McMILLAN, Lance Corporal W A, reported missing is 27 years of age and the eldest son of Mr. W S McMillan of Glasgow, Scotland. He was engaged in the tailoring trade and came out to NZ four years ago. Prior to enlisting he was working in Hamilton with Messrs Schneideman Bros. He took an active interest in territorial matters, being for many years a member of the Seventh Glasgow Highland Light Infantry and was also a very keen shot. For many months he was scoutmaster of the Frankton Junction boy scouts and a member of the 16th Waikato Band. [AWN 16.11.1916]

McNABB, Private Vincent, who was reported killed in action, was one of six brothers on active service. Two were killed on Gallipoli where Private V McNabb was wounded with shrapnel but he recovered and returned to the peninsular. He was born at Motueka, Nelson, and came to Auckland over four years ago. He played as a forward for the City Football Club and gained a place in the B representative team in 1914. He took an interest in all kinds of sport and was very popular among sportsmen. He was working as a carpenter for Mr. E Lye, building contractor, when he enlisted. [AWN 07.09.1916]

McNABB, Private Vincent, who was reported killed in action, was one of six brothers on active service. Two were killed on Gallipoli where Private V McNabb was wounded with shrapnel but he recovered and returned to the peninsula. He was born at Motueka, Nelson, and came to Auckland over four years ago. He played as a forward for the City Football Club and gained a place in theB representative team in 1914. He took an interest in all kinds of sport and was very popular among sportsmen. He was working as a carpenter for Mr. E Lye, building contractor, when he enlisted. [AWN 21.12.1916]

McNEIL, Private Alfred Alexander, who was killed in action on 31 May was born at Port Charles and was the eldest son of Mr. John McNeil of Coromandel. His grandfather, Mr. Alexander McNeil of Coromandel, saw service in the Maori war. [AWN 22.06.1916]

McNICKLE, Private Moses, killed in action 15 September, aged 23, was the eldest son of Mr. M McNickle and the late Mrs. McNickle of Hamilton. He was born and brought up at Gordonton. He was well known in the Waikato. He enlisted at Whangarei. [AWN 21.12.1916]

McPHEE, Rifleman James, killed in action, was the second son of Mr. James McPhee, farmer, of Rakauroa and late of Puhoi. He was born in Gisborne and was 25 years of age. At the time of his enlistment he was following farming pursuits in the Otanui district, Taumarunui, and was the first settler from his district to leave for the front. He left NZ last November. A brother is at present engaged with the forces. [AWN 27.07.1916]

McPHEE, Corporal Donald, recently wounded, is the only son of Mr. J Malcolm McPhee of Marua, Whangarei County. He is 23 years of age. He left with the Rifle Brigade, Earl of Liverpool's Own. Previous to enlisting he was engaged with his father in farming. He was a sergeant in the territorials. [AWN 19.10.1916]

McQUILLAN, Sapper P, who has been awarded the Military Medal for erecting lines under heavy shell fire, was born in Christchurch and educated at the Marist Brothers school there. About 8 years ago he came to Auckland and commenced work on the telegraph lines and was on the Hamilton Branch when he enlisted. His wife resides in Hamilton. [AWN 21.12.1916]

MCQUILLAN. Two members of the Lines Dept of the Hamilton Post Office, Privates P McQUILLAN and E HOLLYWOOD, are amongst those who have been awarded the Military Cross. Private McQUILLAN for laying lines under extremely heavy fire during the battle of the Somme. He was born in Christchurch and educated at Marist Brothers school. [AWN 21.12.1916]

McWHIRTER, Private Frank, reported to have been killed in action, was 21 years of age. He was born in Auckland and educated at the Ponsonby School. [AWN 27.07.1916]

MEACHEM, Private George Charles, killed in action at the age of 28 years, was the eldest son of Mrs. S Meachem of Hamilton East. He served his time with Messrs Hardly Bros., plumbers, and was afterwards in the employ of Messrs J E Hammond & Co. At one time he was an ardent cyclist and was well known on the track. His younger brother, Gunner P S MEACHEM, left with the Main Body, was invalided home and left again with a later reinforcement and in now in hospital in England. [AWN 09.11.1916]

MELVILLE, Private J, lately reported killed in action, was a Scotsman and held the rank of corporal in the Black Watch before he came to NZ. He left NZ as a private in the infantry. His relatives are resident in the Old Country. [AWN 21.09.1916]

METCALFE, Private M C, who enlisted from Auckland in an early reinforcement draft, has been killed while on active service in France. Whilst acting as a guide to a ration party on 29 September he was shot by a sniper when passing a portion of a communication trench that had been exposted by a portion of the bank falling in. Private Metcalfe, who was a native of England, arrived in NZ about four years ago. After a short stay in Dunedin he came to Auckland and entered into the employment of Messrs Macky Logan & Co. He was one of the most popular members of the staff of that firm and his death is widely regretted. He had no relatives in the Dominion. [AWN 21.12.1916]

MICHAEL, Private Ernest Augustus Mowbray, son of M H M Michael of Grey Lynn, has died of wounds. Private Michael, who was serving with the Australian Forces, was formerly a partner in a trading firm in Fiji. He enlisted for active service in the early stages of the war. A brother is at the front. [AWN 17.08.1916]

MICHELL, Captain Robert - Advice has been received of the death on July 20, presumably from wounds, of Capt Michel, RAMC, of Cambridge, England. He was well known to many New Zealanders. About ten years ago he married Miss Emily GILLIES OF Auckland. In civil life he held the degrees of M.D. and F.R.C.S and was in practice as a heart specialist. He served in the war in South Africa and immediately on the outbreak of the present war, offered his services. [AWN 03.08.1916]

MILES, Lieutenant C C , Wellington Infantry Battalion. Son of Mr. A H Miles, managing director of the Murray Roberts Co. of Wellington, is one of the returned officers. He went with the fourth reinforcements in April last and was in Egypt for some considerable time. Unfortunately he was unable to take part in the fighting owing to contracting appendicitis and septic poisoning. He was invalided to England and was operated upon in the Endsleigh Palace Hospital. He is very disappointed at being kept out of the fighting but he expresses the hope that he may yet be able to return to the front. [AWN 10.02.1916]

MILLS. The household of Mr. David Mills of Opotiki is represented in the fighting line by three sons. Recent casualty lists showed that Private Francis M MILLS has been wounded and a cable message received from him on 14 October indicated that he was then in hospital and progressing well. Privates James MILLS and John MILLS fought through the Gallipoli campaign, the latter on the headquarters signalling staff. Both were invalided to England but are now in France as gunners. Private J M MILLS was seriously ill for some months at Lemnos before going to Egypt and France. [AWN 09.11.1916]

MILLS, Corporal Arnold E, recently reported as killed in action, was the eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. Thos Mills of Grey Lynn. He was 26 years of age and was born in Auckland. He received his primary education at the Newton West school, where he obtained a scholarship and went to the Auckland Grammar School. Eleven years ago he joined the staff of the Education Board and was still in the board's service when he enlisted. [AWN 03.08.1916]

MILROY, Lieutenant, in command of the draft, left NZ with the third reinforcements. Before enlistment he was a Post & Telegraph officer at Motueka. He was four months on Gallipoli before being sent to Malta with wounds and dysentery. He was in hospital in London for some time then to the Isle of Man where he assisted with recruiting work. He then filled positions at the camps of the NZ reinforcements in Britain and in May 1916 went to France as assistant officer in charge of records. He later returned to Britain and in consequence of broken health was invalided to NZ. [AWN 30.11.1916]

MITCHELL, Sergeant F, DCM, is one of the six non-commissioned officers returning for a commission. His home is at Mataura, Southland, and prior to the outbreak of war he held a commission as Lieutenant in the 14th, South Otago, Regiment. So keen was he to place his services at the disposal of his King and country that he enlisted in the ranks and left for the front as a sergeant in the Otago Infantry Battalion of the main body. His subsequent career shows him to have been a soldier of grit and determination and in his case, at least, merit cannot be said to have gone unrewarded. Contracting an attack of measles on the day before the historic landing, he was unable to rejoin his unit until three weeks later. He then settled down with his comrades to the daily routine of trench warfare until the stirring times of August 6, 7 & 8 came round and with them the opportunity of gaining the decoration which now distinguishes his name. His chance came on the last day of the attack when a squad of about 50 men under his charge was holding a hill at Chunak Bair. The position was on the right flank of the advancing lines and Sergeant Mitchell placed his men in such a manner that they were able to repel three Turkish assaults, one of which gave them - to use his own words - 'a pretty hot time'. It was for the disposition of his men on this occasion that he gained the DCM. Sergeant Mitchell's service did not end here, however, as he practically saw all that was to be seen of Gallipoli, having taken part in the evacuation of the peninsula. He drew a vivid picture of the heavy frosts and snow that were encountered at the end of November and stated that the intense cold of those days was among the most trying of all the experiences of the troops. He also spoke touchingly of the regret felt by the men on leaving the spot where they had endured so much and had hoped so much, and where they had left comrades dearer to them than brothers. [AWN 16.03.1916]

MOLES. Mrs. Sarah Moles, Moturoa, New Plymouth, has four sons in the Army. The eldest, Private Albert Leo CASEY was wounded in July last in France. The other three brothers took part in the great advance in the Somme on 15 September; Rifleman F J CASEY, killed in action; and Sergeant B CASEY AND private T R CASEY, wounded. [AWN 21.12.1916]

MONRO, Gunner William R - The Rev G B Monro of St Luke's Presbyterian Church, Remuera, has received notification that his son died from wounds on October 15. Gunner Monro left with the Main Expeditionary Force and took part in the Gallipoli campaign. He was educated at Remuera School and the Auckland Grammar School and when he enlisted was in the employ of Messrs C H Furness & Co of Auckland. He was district secretary of the NZ Bible-class Union. Gunner Monro was one of the 40 NZ soldiers selected to represent the Dominion in Paris in July last on the occasion of France's national fete day. [AWN 02.11.1916]

MOOR, Sergeant Major F W, No.1 Field Ambulance, NZ Medical Corps, awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, for consistent good work and devotion to duty. [AWN 28.09.1916]

MOORE, Lieutenant Stanley, who died of wounds received while conducting a raid on the German trenches, was well known in Auckland, being chief inspector of physical education under the Education Dept at the time of his enlistment. His wife, who resides in College Road, Auckland, has received a letter in which the writer states: "Lieutenant Moore has been recommended for a Military Cross which he richly deserved. He was a very gallant officer and all who knew him admired his bravery and manly qualities." The letter also stated that Lieutenant Moore was in charge of a trench mortar battery which had ably assisted the New Zealanders to enter the German trenches on three different occasions by cutting the wires guarding the trenches. [AWN 21.12.1916]

MOORE, Lieutenant Stanley - Advice has been received of the death from wounds in France on 2 July of Lieutenant Moore who was chief instructor in physical training in the Auckland Province until his departure on active service. He was born in Gisborne, being the third son of the late Mr. Robert Moore and was 29 years of age. Eleven years ago he joined the Royal NZ Artillery and on the institution of the territorial training scheme was promoted to the instructional staff as sergeant major. His appointment under the Education Board was made several years ago. Lieutenant Moore was well known as an amateur heavy-weight boxer. His wife and child reside on College Hill. A brother, a brother in law and five cousins are on active service in France. [AWN 13.07.1916]

MOORE, Private Edward, killed in action on July 17, was a on of Mrs. E A A Moore of Harcourt St, Grey Lynn. He was born in Leicester, England, 18 years ago. He had taken a prominent part in school rugby football in Leicester and was well known to many Leicester people in Auckland. [AWN 10.08.1916]

MOORE, Private Edward, killed in action, was a son of Mrs. E A Moore of Grey Lynn and was only 18 years of age, having enlisted in an Imperial regiment before he had reached his seventeenth birthday. He was educated in Leicester and was a keen Rugby enthusiast, winning several trophies in his early youth. It was the intention of the late Private Edward Moore to settle in NZ and join the other members of the family after playing his part in the great war. An older brother, Lance Corporal Richard MOORE, died in India Shortly after the war started. He was also serving with an Imperial regiment. Another brother, Private Charles Henry MOORE, is at present in one of the Home training camps, preparatory to going on active service. [AWN 10.08.1916]

MORGAN, Trumpeter J W. In a letter to his parents he refers to the death of his comrade Trumpeter Major George MUNRO of the headquarters staff, NZ Mounted Rifles. He states that the deceased died like a hero. He was attending a wounded comrade just behind the firing line when a bullet struck him and passed through the body. This is cited as only one of many brave deeds. [AWN 24.02.1916]

MORGANTI, Private Charles Victor, who is reported as missing, is a son of Mrs. K Duncan of Westport. He was a native of Reefton and enlisted at Westport where he had resided for the greater part of his life. His brother, Sergeant P Morganti, is also at the front. [AWN 30.11.1916]

MORICE, Private A, reported wounded, is a son of Mr. W Morice of Opotiki. This is the third of Mr. Morice's sons who have been wounded. All three enlisted with the Auckland contingents. Private Archie Morice was wounded at Gallipoli and was taken prisoner, the last advice being that he was at Constantinople. Private Leslie MORICE was seriously wounded in the engagement with the Senussi on Christmas Day. Private Alan MORICE's wound is in the arm. [AWN 01.06.1916]

MORPETH, Captain R N, who has been wounded, took part in the landing on the Gallipoli Peninsula last year and was wounded. His name was included in one of the first casualty lists issued in connection with that campaign. He was invalided home and returned to the front some months ago, having been promoted from the rank of lieutenant to that of captain. Captain Morpeth is a son of Mr. H D Morpeth, town clerk of Waihi, and is 24 years of age. Prior to his departure on active service he was engaged as a teller in the Bank of NZ, Thames. [AWN 20.07.1916]

MORPERTH, Captain Robert N, son of Mr. H D Morpeth of Waihi, is in the 2nd London Hospital and has had his left leg amputated and is progressing satisfactorily. Previous official reports gave it that Captain Morpeth was seriously ill, suffering from shot wounds in both legs and thigh and shortly afterwards Captain Morpeth sent a cablegram saying that he was progressing favourably. Captain Morpeth, who was wounded at Gallipoli, shortly after the first landing of the colonial troops and who was invalided home, returned to the front and it was while taking part in the British offensive in France that he received the wounds which necessitated the amputation of his leg. [AWN 27.07.1916]

MORPETH, Private Moore. Mr. H D Morpeth, town clerk of Waihi, has received private information to the effect that his fifth son was killed in action at Gaba Tepe, Gallipoli, when the New Zealanders and Australians affected their memorable landing on April 25, 1915. For many months no definite information was forthcoming as to the fate of deceased and it was only a few days ago that an official list gave his name among the missing and believed to be dead. Private Morpeth was in his 21st year and prior to enlisting was studying for the law. [AWN 17.02.1916]

MORPETH. Of a family of six sons, Mr. H D Morpeth of Waihi has given five to the Empire's service, the remaining son being under military age. Lieutenant Niccol MORPETH, L/Corporal Gerald MORPETH and Private Moore MORPETH, took part in the memorable landing at Gallipoli where Private Moore MORPETH was killed in action and his two brothers were wounded. When he had recovered Lieut MORPETH joined the 16th Waikatos and was promoted to Captain in Egypt. On 27 September he was wounded again at Flanders, in the leg which unfortunately had to be amputated. He is now in Roehampton Hospital awaiting the arrival of an artificial limb. L/C MORPETH returned to the front after recovery only to fall victim to typhoid fever. Upon recovery he went to France where he was shot through the leg at Flers. He is again in hospital. Lieut Allan MORPETH joined as a non-commissioned officer and will shortly leave for the front. George MORPETH who, after unsuccessful attempts to pass the medical examination in the earlier stages of the war, has now succeeded in passing and will go into the non-commissioned officers' training camp at Trentham early next year. [AWN 07.12.1916]

MORRIS. Private H B MORRIS, who has died of wounds, was the youngest son of the late Mr. William Morris of Cork, Ireland, and has three brothers, all of whom are fighting for the Empire, one in German East Africa and two in other parts of the Imperial forces. Private Morris had not been in NZ more than 10 months when he volunteered for one of the early reinforcement drafts. At Gallipoli he was wounded three times, in one engagement was shot through the head, in another struck on the head by a Turkish bomb which failed to explode but injured him by the original impact; and on a third occasion was wounded in a charge. [AWN 26.10.1916]

MORTON, Private Percy William, killed in action, was the third son of Mr. & Mrs. W H Morton of Waihi. He went to the front in November 1915 and prior to enlisting was a surveyor's assistant at Whakatane where he enrolled. Deceased was in his 25th year and before joining the survey party, worked for several years for the Waihi Grand Junction Gold Mining Co. [AWN 02.11.1916]

MORTON, Lieutenant Stanley W, killed in action, was a son of the late Mr. S Morton, a well known tea planter in the West Indies. He was 26 years of age. Left an orphan at an early age he came to NZ and during the past 18 years had resided with his uncle in Christchurch. He was a keen territorial and gained his commission while attached to E Battery. He left as a Lieutenant with the main body and saw much service at Gallipoli. A brother is serving with the Canadian forces in France. [AWN 30.11.1916]

MOUNCE, Private Charles Leslie, who is reported to have died of wounds, was 23 years of age and a son of Mr. J Mounce, 6 Hepburn St, Ponsonby and a member of the firm of Sutcliffe & Mounce. He served his time as a cabinet-maker under Brown & Smith of Symonds St. He enlisted early in the war, prior to which he had been employed in the Mt Eden guard. He was very popular in musical circles. He was born at the Thames where his family lived for some years prior to coming to Ponsonby. Private Mounce was also a member of the Rechabite Lodge. He was a bugler in the infantry when he left NZ. [AWN 03.08.1916]

MULHERN, Private Horace John of Northcote, who has been killed in action, was educated at the Kaukapakapa and Whangarei schools. He was a member of the Northcote Fire Brigade and a sergeant in the territorials and was employed at Mr. P Carroll's store, at Northcote, at the time he enlisted. He was the eldest son of Mrs. S Powell of Northcote, whose husband is now in camp. [AWN 27.07.1916]

MUNRO, Trumpeter Major George. In a letter to his parents, Trumpeter J W MORGAN, refers to the death of his comrade Trumpeter Major George MUNRO of the headquarters staff, NZ Mounted Rifles. He states that the deceased died like a hero. He was attending a wounded comrade just behind the firing line when a bullet struck him and passed through the body. This is cited as only one of many brave deeds. [AWN 24.02.1916]

MUNRO, Lieutenant Kenneth, killed in action in France on 3 July, only son of Mr. & Mrs. J Munro, Bank of NSW, Hastings, was 24 years of age. Born at Patea, Taranaki, he was an old boy of Nelson College, studied law at Victoria College and entered the office of the late Colonel Malone at Stratford, where he was employed before leaving NZ with the 4th Reinforcements. At Stratford he took the keenest interest in military training and was a Lieutenant of the 11th Regt (Taranaki Rifles). After serving in the Gallipoli campaign, including the August engagements of last year, he was invalided to England and joined the 2nd Wellington Regt in France last April. [AWN 03.08.1916]

MURRAY, 2nd Lieutenants Keith P D, of Auckland, and J P C COOPER, Royal Flying Corps, have been promoted lieutenants. [AWN 02.03.1916]

NATHAN, Corporal B C, killed in action, was the only son of Mrs. J A Miller of Khyber Pass Road, widow of the late Hon. J A Millar and the late Mr. Nat. Nathan. Up to the time of his enlistment he was employed in Blenheim. [AWN 12.10.1916]

NEELS, Lance Corporal Francis, recently reported killed, was a son of the late Mr. J R Neels of Morrinsville. He was born at Waitoa and was educated at the Morrinsvile public school. As a territorial he held the rank of corporal. Prior to his enlistment Lance Corporal Neels was engaged on the staff of the Ohinemuri Gazette, Paeroa. [AWN 07.09.1916]

NELSON, Corporal Alfred Theo, who has died of wounds, was the son of Mr. M J Nelson of Whatoro, Northern Wairoa. He was born in Dargaville and was 28 years of age. Educated at the Marist Brothers school, Auckland, he afterwards took to bush contracting work at Kaihu. He was greatly interested in football and rowing. [AWN 02.11.1916]

NEVE, Private Clifford D, who died of wounds at the 1st Southern Hospital, Birmingham, on November 21, was the second son of Mr. J Neve, of Haydn's Ave, Onehunga. He has a brother at the front. [AWN 07.12.1916]

NEVE, Private Clifford D, died of wounds 21 November, was the son of John Neve of Hadyn Ave, Onehunga, aged 20. He was employed in dairy work at Elstow near Te Aroha and was in the territorial forces. He has a brother serving at the front. [AWN 21.12.1916]

NICHOLSON. Five sons of Mrs. N Nicholson, Northcote, have all answered the call to arms. Privates Eustace and Marmion and their half-brother Private Arthur ATKINS, left with the Main Body and went through the fighting at Gallipoli where ATKINS was promoted to Sergeant Major and received the D.C.M. for conspicuous bravery. He has since returned to the Dominion, permanently disabled as a result of wounds. Private Marmion Nicholson has also been invalided to NZ and will proceed again to the Front as soon as he is physically fit. Private Edward Nicholson and another brother, Edward, are now fighting in France. The fifth son has only recently been sent back from Trentham, being under age. A son in law of Mrs. Nicholson, also in the trenches in France, has recently been wounded while bomb-throwing. All these boys are either sons or grandsons of Imperial Army officers. [AWN 07.12.1916]

NICOL, Sergeant C G, Auckland M.R., late of the NZ Herald staff, is now an out patient of Roehampton Hospital, where all the New Zealanders who have lost a limb are treated. Sergeant Nicol, who had the ill-luck to lose his right hand, has already become remarkably proficient in the use of his left hand. [AWN 02.03.1916]

NIMMO, Rifleman, along with Riflemen McCORMICK and LEPPER, NZ Rifle Brigade, was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, for bringing in wounded under heavy fire. [AWN 28.09.1916]

NOBLE, Rifleman S J, who was killed in action on 15 September, was a native of Auckland, all his boyhood and youth being spent at Waitakere, Kaipara line. He afterwards worked in Gisborne and from there took up farming in the Hawkes Bay district. He sold his place to go to the front. He was 30 years of age and leaves a widow and two young children. His mother and sister live in Gisborne. [AWN 19.10.1916]

NOBLE, Private E E, killed in action, was a son of Mr. E E Noble of Coromandel and prior to his enlistment was employed in country work in the Waipapakauri district. Three of his brothers have also enlisted Sergeant John Noble, who received 14 wounds while in action and is now in an English hospital; Private S Noble also in hospital at present; while the third brother injured his knee while training at Trentham and was discharged unfit but is now recovering and expects to enlist again. [AWN 07.09.1916]