Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

O'CONNOR, Trooper, D J, Canterbury Mounted Rifle Regiment Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty on August 22, 1915, at Aghyl Dere. Whilst returning to his regiment after being slightly wounded, he passed another regiment, which was being heavily shelled. With hesitation he entered the shell-swept zone and carried in two wounded men. He went out again and helped a wounded officer to a place of comparative safety. His bravery and devotion were the more noticeable in that these gallant acts were quite outside his duty. [AWN 13.01.1916]

O'CONNOR Private F, Distinguished Conduct Medal, Wellington Battalion, for conspicuous service at the front - Presented by the Minister of Defence at the Solway Show, Masterton, before a crowd of thousands, including 600 mounted men from the camp at Featherston. The hero was cheered lustily as the medal was pinned on his breast. Private O'Connor earned the distinction on May 8, 1915 at Krithia for distinguished service in the firing line, where he remained until severely wounded and lost his right eye. He had twice previously been wounded and his gallant example was of great value. Private O'Connor was also a member of the Masterton Pipe Band. He was a sample of the splendid men that the district was sending to the front and had been honoured by his King, a distinction that was open to every man. [AWN 24.02.1916]

O'CONNOR, Private Percy Michael, reported killed in action on 15 September, was the eldest son of Mr. O'Connor of Maitai Rd, Green Lane. Prior to leaving NZ with the reinforcements, he was employed in the Government locomotive department and was well known in athletic circles in Auckland. [AWN 21.12.1916]

O'CONNOR, Dick - "Poor old Dick O'Connor of the Waitemata Troop, has been killed in action" writes a member in France. "He was a sniper and did valuable work. He had to run great risks, of course, and I suppose they got him at last. He was a good mate and a 'white' man. I ran across him first in London some years ago and we shipped together several times and carried Matilda (swag) a bit in the bush at times. He was in the Cape Mounted Rifles for some while. He was a son of Mr. Justice O'CONNOR of Sydney and a born wanderer. We have lost a lot of legionaries since starting but they all died game and met death as joyously as they lived. The Legion will send us other good men to take their places." [From the Legion of Frontiersmen column, AWN 16.11.1916]

O'DONNELL, Private Frank Joseph, who has been reported killed in action, was the eldest son of Mrs. J O'Donnell of Pentland Ave, Mt Eden, and was 24 years of age. He received a collegiate education and was afterwards engaged on the staff of J R Dodson & Son of Nelson. Later on he followed mining on the West Coast. He was a keen football enthusiast and was a popular member of the Nelson Rival Football Club. [AWN 03.08.1916]

OKEY, Rifleman A J, whose death in action was announced a few days ago, was the youngest brother of Mr. H J H Okey, M.P., for Taranaki. Rifleman Okey left NZ with the 10th reinforcements. He was 45 years of age and leaves a wife and three children. He was at one time an official of the National Bank of New Plymouth and was subsequently in the employ of Mr. Newton King. About 15 years ago he settled in Greymouth. [AWN 22.06.1916]

OKEY. The representative for Taranaki in the House of Representatives, Mr. H J H Okey, M.P., has lost two sons in the war - Sergeant Sydney OKEY, who was killed at the Dardanelles on 8 August 1915 and Private Lionel G OKEY, who was killed in action at the age of 28 in the recent fighting in France. A third son is still in the trenches. [AWN 16.11.1916]

OLDBURY. Mr. J C OLDBURY, of Belle Vue Rd, Mt Eden, has four sons in khaki, two of whom have been wounded, Privates Frederick William OLDBURY, aged 22 years, and George Edward OLDBURY, aged 19 years, were reported wounded on 1 October. Both brothers were born in Turner Street, Auckland, and attended the Newton East public school. Prior to enlisting, Frederick was employed as a grocer's assistant to Mr. W Winn, Khyber Pass, while George for many years was engaged in farming operations at Bombay with Mr. Bambury. The two other soldier members of the family are Privates Charles & Henry OLDBURY. [AWN 26.10.1916]

OLDHAM, Sergeant W, Auckland, was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the recent advance on the Somme. He is a native of Auckland, aged about 35 and was employed with the Northern Steamship Co. for some time before enlistment. He left NZ originally with one of the early detachments of troops and took part in the famous landing of Gallipoli. He was then sent back to NZ in charge of the belongings of those soldiers who had lost their lives on the Peninsula. While here he delivered lectures at Manurewa and in other country districts upon his experiences at the Front, the proceeds of which were applied to patriotic purposes. With a later draft of reinforcements he returned to the Front and to the scene of operations at which he has distinguished himself. [AWN 09.11.1916]

ORR. A family with a good record is that of Mr. & Mrs. John W Orr of Kaitangiweka, a settlement near Tangitu in the King Country. Rifleman H W ORR was in action by Christmas in Egypt and was wounded in France last month. Private Norman ORR, Trooper Leonard ORR, Rifleman Ernest ORR, Rifleman Arthur L ORR, left with various reinforcements. Another member of the family was rejected. Their father served for nine years in the NZ Armed Constabulary during the trouble with Te Whiti in Taranaki. [AWN 09.11.1916]

OXLEY, Corporal Peter, recently reported missing, is 23 years of age and was born at sea, between Townsville and Brisbane. He came to NZ about six years ago and was for some time employed as a fitter at the Hamilton gasworks and then at Morrinsville. He was a prominent Druid while in Morrinsville and was a past arch of the Order. [AWN 30.11.1916]

PAGE, Private H J, killed in action in France on 26 September, was the fourth and youngest son of Mr. R Pate of Waimamaku, Hokianga. He enlisted with an early reinforcement draft, contracted dysentery at Gallipoli, recovered at Malta and rejoined his regiment in time to accompany the force to France. He was 23 years of age and was a member of a Government survey party prior to enlisting. [AWN 30.11.1916]

PAIN, Private Comer Richard, of Onehunga, was recently wounded in the chest while working a gun in the machine-gun section. Private Pain is a son of Mrs. G Fellows of Princes St, Onehunga. Another son of Mrs. Fellows is now at Onehunga recovering from wounds received at Gallipoli. A third son left for the front with the last company of engineers. [AWN 28.09.1916]

PALMER, Lieutenant W T, Auckland Mounted Rifles. Few men have had such hairbreadth escapes from death as Lieutenant Palmer, who returned by the Rotorua. He left NZ with the second reinforcements in December 1914 and went to Egypt, afterwards proceeding to Gallipoli. Whilst engaged there he sustained shrapnel wounds in the left leg and thigh and the right thigh. He was also hit by bullets in the left arm and shoulder and had a bayonet wound in the left arm. The thumb and two fingers of the left hand have had to be amputated. As the result of wounds, which he sustained on August 27 on 'Hill 60' in Gallipoli, he was invalided to England where he was for some time in the Endsleigh Palace Hospital. Lieutenant Palmer was one of the wounded carried by the hospital ship Maheno on her first trip from Anzac to Lemnos where the hospital base was established. He paid a tribute to the excellent arrangements made for the reception and treatment of the wounded. He was met on board by his brother. He is the youngest son of the late Archdeacon Palmer of the Melanesian mission. [AWN 10.02.1916]

PALMER, Rifleman W W, who has died of wounds, was the youngest son of Mrs. F Palmer of Coyle St, Edendale and was 33 years of age. He was employed in sawmill work and was well known in the Kaipara, Hokianga and Whangarei districts. [AWN 12.10.1916]

PARANIKI, Corporal Tau, a native of Wanganui and a member of the first Maori contingent, who was invalided home some three months ago, was the first Maori to receive the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He is at present resident in the Rangitikei district and progressing favourably. He expects to return to the front shortly. [AWN 27.01.1916]

PARKINSON, Private Frank, who has died of wounds, was the second son of Mrs. A Parkinson of Kuaotunu. He was 19 years of age and a farmer by occupation. He was an amateur boxer and won the lightweight championship at Tauranga. [AWN 02.11.1916]

PARRISH, Sergeant Major Arthur, of Northcote, who was wounded a few days ago and admitted to hospital, is the youngest son of Mr. M Parrish of Northcote. He enlisted in the early part of the war and did coastguard duty for several weeks prior to leaving with the sixth reinforcements as a member of the Auckland Mounted Rifles. [AWN 15.06.1916]

PATTILLO The family of Mr. & Mrs. J Pattillo of the Kaitangiweka district, has also responded nobly to the call of King and country. Trooper J D Pattillo went with the Main Body, Private A Pattillo is with the divisional sanitary section and Private G Pattillo left with a reinforcement draft. [AWN 09.11.1916]

PATTON, Private Cuthbert M, Auckland Infantry Regiment, seriously wounded by gunshot wound in the chest. Now in Brockenhurst Hospital, England. [AWN 02.11.1916]

PAULSEN, Trooper Harry Wilford, 4th, Waikato, Mounted Rifles, who is reported 'missing believed to be killed', is the eldest son of Mr. P P Paulsen, Ngaruawahia. He left with the third reinforcements. [AWN 30.03.1916]

PEMBERTON, Sergeant S, killed in action, was the youngest son of Mr. S Pemberton of Tauranga. Prior to his enlisting he was employed by his father. He was one of the first to enlist and left Tauranga on 13 August 1914 to join the main body. He was first wounded on 2 May 1915 but remained with his unit and was again wounded on 87 May, after which he spent five months in Malta Hospital. He again joined his unit before it proceeded to France and apparently e3scaped injury till he met his death on 27 September at the age of 23 years. He was for two years a member of the Te Puke Mounted Rifles and later belonged to the Tauranga Rifle Club. [AWN 19.10.1916]

PENDERGRAST, Rifleman James, killed in action, was 29 years of age and the eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. Jno Pendergrast of Pokeno Valley. Rifleman Pendergrast, after being in Egypt for some months, was incapacitated with dysentery. Upon his recovery he rejoined his comrades and participated in the fighting against the Arabs, afterwards leaving for France, where he fell. He lived in Pokeno practically throughout his life and was educated at the Pokeno public school. [AWN 19.10.1916]

PERRITT, Corporal J, killed in action on 15 September, was 26 years of age and was born at Whangarata near Tuakau. He received his education at the school there and subsequently became a teacher in the King Country. He afterwards joined the staff of Messrs Green & Colebrook at Tuakau and some three years ago commenced farming at Morrinsville where he remained until enlisting. He was a keen footballer, filling the position of wing forward with great credit on many occasions. His parents and the other members of the family reside in Morrinsville. [AWN 12.10.1916]

PHILLIPS, Private W J killed in action on June 29, was born at Thames 34 years ago. He was well known in athletic circles in Auckland, having won many trophies on the running track, football field and bowling green. Private Phillips was for many years in the employ of Mr. J Howden, jeweler, of Queen St and afterwards entered into business on his own account at Te Awamutu and Taumarunui. [AWN 03.08.1916]

PIDGEON, Trooper H, Canterbury Mounted Rifle Regiment Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on August 21, 1915, on the Kaiajik Aghala (Hill 60). The fighting was severe and frequently hand-to-hand and, although wounded, he refused to retire and continued at his post with the greatest bravery and determination until wounded a second time. He also performed gallant work in rescuing wounded men under heavy fire. [AWN 13.01.1916]

PIRRIT, Private J A - Among those killed in action, he is the son of Mr. J R Pirrit, formerly of Whangarata and now of Morrinsville. After serving as a pupil teacher at Pukekohe for some time, he entered the employ of Messrs Green & Colebrook of Tuakau. While he was at Morrinsville he enlisted. [AWN 12.10.1916]

PIVOTT, Private E, reported as having died of wounds, was prior to his enlistment employed as baker to Messrs Corkill Bros of Aratapu. He was the youngest son of Mr. W H Pivott of Piha and was 24 years of age. Another brother is at present in camp. [AWN 12.10.1916]

POTTER, Private, Wellington Infantry Regiment, was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for gallantry in leading the way in a raid on an enemy trench. [AWN 28.09.1916]

POWELL, Private Gerald Massey, who was killed in action on 6 June was a son of Mr. Henry C Powell, formerly of Herekino and now residing in Great North Road, Auckland. He was born in Herekino and was 24 years old. The first of three brothers to reach the front, Private Powell took part in the Gallipoli campaign. Two other brothers enlisted some time ago and will leave for the training camp shortly. Both are married and have families. Mr. Powell himself arrived in NZ in 1865 and fought in the Maori wars, acting as scout and guide under von Tempsky, McDonald and Whitmore. He was wounded at Pangorau in Taranaki. [AWN 29.06.1916]

POWLEY, Captain Alfred, NZ Rifle Brigade. Awarded the Military Cross. In a trench raid, though the party was heavily encumbered by 80 wounded, one dead man and nine prisoners, Captain Powley got all safely back to the British trenches. [AWN 28.09.1916]

PREECE, Private Phil, killed in action on July 14, was the youngest son of Mr. & Mrs. R Preece of Waiotahi Creek, Thames and was only 21 years old. He was educated at the Waiokaraka public school and had been employed since

PROSSER, Bombardier T Ivan, who has been killed in action, was the elder son of Captain T H Prosser of Remuera. He was born in London and educated chiefly at St Mark's School, Windsor. After making several voyages with his father to the Dominion, he settled in NZ, being employed as a cadet in the farming districts of Waihui Downs, Gisborne and Bay of Islands. Just prior to the war he took up land in the Silverdale district but on the outbreak of hostilities was one of the first to join the Main Expeditionary Force and sailed from Auckland with the first contingent. He fought in Egypt and Gallipoli and from the latter place he was invalided to England where he remained for five months, returning to Egypt on light duties. In April last he went to France where he was recently killed in action. He was keen in all kinds of sports and while at Windsor was a prominent footballer for his college. [AWN 09.11.1916]

PRUDEN, Sergeant Major Arthur Frederick, who fell in the charge on 15 September, was 41 years of age and a native of NZ. About 12 years ago he was resident at Eltham, Taranaki, where he took ward interest in the volunteer movement and became a sergeant in the force. On removal to Te Puke he maintained his interest in Defence matters and was a hard worker in the territorials. Some months ago he enlisted for active service. When he left the Dominion he was in the Rifle Brigade, in which he attained the rank of sergeant major. As a settler, Mr. Pruden took keen interest in local affairs. He was a member of the Te Puke School Committee, a committee-man of the A & P Assn, a member of the Road Board and a director of the Bay of Plenty Dairy Assn. Sport was also one of his hobbies. [AWN 30.11.1916]

PULLING, Sub-Lieutenant Edmund, Naval Air Service, son of Mr. J L Thompson of Pukekaha Rd, Raetihi, has received the Distinguished Service Order in recognition of his work on the destruction of a zeppelin off the Norfolk Coast at the end of November. [p.57 AWN 21.12.1916]

PULLING, Sub-Lieutenant Edmund, Naval Air Service, son of Mr. J L Thompson of Pukekaha Rd, Raetihi, has received the Distinguished Service Order in recognition of his work on the destruction of a zeppelin off the Norfolk Coast at the end of November. [p.57 AWN 21.12.1916]

PURKIS, Sergeant Major Robert Charles, who is reported to have been killed in action at Mutrah, Egypt, on Christmas Day, left Auckland as a corporal to join the 1st Battalion of the NZ Rifle Brigade at Trentham. Whilst in training he was promoted to the rank of sergeant major. He was a member of the old Victoria Rifles Volunteers in Auckland. He was the eldest of three sons of Colour Sergeant George Purkis, late of the Royal Marine Light Infantry, who served 21 years with that regiment and who is at present employed with the Admiralty Office in England. Deceased leaves a widow who resides in Nelson Street. [AWN 13.01.1916]