Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

QUINTAL, Trooper D L, reported missing since August 3, was born at Norfolk Island and came to NZ when quite a lad. He spent most of his life in the North and was well known in sporting circles. [AWN 28.09.1916]

RANKIN, Gunner J, 4th (Howitzer) Battery, N.Z.F.A. - Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous gallantry on August 6, 1915, near Lone Pine. While his battery was bombarding the position the telephone line was cut. Gunner Rankin went out voluntarily under heavy and continuous fire and laid another wire over the broken section, enabling the battery commander to resume control within half an hour of the communication being broken, thus materially assisting our fire effect. His bravery and good work have been consistently shown since the landing on April 26. [AWN 13.01.1916]

RATCLIFFE, Private Frank of Gisborne, recommended for the Victoria Cross. Left NZ with the early reinforcements and distinguished himself during the fighting on the Somme. His company was under heavy fire and some wounded members were lying in no-man's-land. At the imminent risk of his life, Ratcliffe went to the rescue of the injured men and brought them back to the shelter of the trench. He escaped unscathed. [AWN 14.12.1916]

RAWLINGS, Sergeant J L, had been recommended for the Distinguished Conduct Medal and would have received it had he not been killed in action. Brother of T W Rawlings of Mauku. [AWN 14.12.1916]

READ, Lieutenant L W, First Battalion, Essex Regt, son of Mr. William Read, Pencarrow Ave, Mt Eden, was killed in action in France on 9 December. Lieutenant READ, who was 22 years of age, was on the staff of the United Insurance Co. prior to enlistment. He left NZ as a Corporal in one of the early NZ contingents and fought for some time at Gallipoli. His promotion through the non commissioned grades was rapid and eventually he was given a commission in the Essex Regt. Two of his brothers have also enlisted, one being already on the way to Europe while the other is a Sergeant in a reinforcement just about to be despatched. [AWN 21.12.1916]

READY. The Rev W Ready, who three years ago was minister of the Pitt Street Methodist Church, has joined the hospital ship Maheno as a chaplain. His three sons have all enlisted and with his departure Mrs. Ready will be the only representative of the family in the Dominion. Mr. Ready has been minister of an Invercargill church since he left Auckland. [AWN 23.11.1916]

REID, Corporal N J, Auckland Infantry Battalion - Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (London Gazette, 6 Sept 1915) for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on 8 May, 1915, at Krithia, Dardanelles. When both the officer and sergeant of his machine-gun section had been killed he took command and by the efficient manner in which h3e handled his gun and by his bravery and example, he was enabled to hold the flank of his battalion and so prevent it being turned. [AWN 20.04.1916]

REYNOLDS, Corporal T G, who lost his left foot as the result of an accident on 13 June, is a son of Mr. John Reynolds of the Government Tourist Bureau, Rotorua. He took part in the landing on Gallipoli on 25 Apri9l 1915 and was fighting on the peninsula for seven weeks until wounded by shrapnel. He was invalided home but immediately afterwards rejoined his regiment and was sent to the trenches in France. [AWN 13.07.1916]

RICHARDS, Lieutenant H S, the NZ Rhodes scholar for 1915, has been wounded. He is a second lieutenant in the Essex Regiment. [AWN 16.11.1916]

RICHARDSON, Sergeant W R, who was killed in action on December 8, was chief accountant for Dalgety & Co at Auckland when he enlisted in the sixth reinforcements for the Auckland Mounted Rifles. He was educated at Wellington College and after some year’s service in a banking institution, qualified as an accountant. He entered the employment of Dalgety & Co and was afterwards transferred to the Auckland branch. Sergeant Richardson acted as secretary of the Auckland Woolbrokers Ass. He was interested in several forms of athletics and was a member of the Auckland Golf Club. He was also a member of the Junior Club. Sergeant Richardson was about 28 years of age. [AWN 24.02.1916]

RICHARDSON, G S, Lieutenant Colonel, one of the best known officers of the Permanent Artillery in NZ, has just been promoted to the rank of brigadier-general and is with the 12th Corps in Salonika. Brig-General Richardson who represented NZ at the War Office in 1914, was chosen for a staff position with the Royal Naval Davison and served with them at Antwerp and then for eight months in Gallipoli, where he had many narrow escapes. He was twice mentioned in despatches and received the C.M.G. and his new appointment is a recognition of the valuable services he has rendered since the beginning of the war. At Salonika, of course, his chief interest will probably be artillery of which it is known we have sent a very large force, including a number of younger NZ officers. [AWN 02.03.1916]

RILEY, Lieutenant H B, lately reported killed in action, was a prominent resident of Collingwood, Nelson. He was Chairman of the Collingwood County Council when he left and was connected with the local racing and football clubs and fire brigade and held a commission in the Mounted Rifles. In his younger days he represented his district in football. His brother Sergeant W C RILEY, was killed at Gallipoli and a brother in law, Lieutenant TAYLOR of Feilding, has also been killed in action. [AWN 21.12.1916]

RHIND, Corporal H, Canterbury Battalion, NZ Force, awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous gallantry and good work when in charge of scouts and snipers. He also frequently went out alone in risky enterprises and has accounted for several of the enemy. [AWN 28.09.1916]

RHODES, Lance Corporal William Edward, who is reported to have died of wounds on 5 June, was the only son of Mr. & Mrs. R Rhodes of 28 Ardmore Rd, Ponsonby. He was born in Auckland 26 years ago and was educated at the Dargaville public school and the Aratapu High School. L/Corporal Rhodes had always taken a keen interest in military matters and at one time was a member of the old Newton Rifles and held the rank of lieutenant in the Eden Defence cadets. Subsequently he joined the territorials, holding a commission as first lieutenant. When he enlisted in the 8th Reinforcements he was employed by Messrs Wingate & Co as despatch clerk. [AWN 22.06.1916

ROBINSON, Captain Frank S, killed in action, began his military career as a private in the NZ Field Engineers and rose through the intermediate ranks to Lieutenant. He afterwards transferred into the NZ Garrison Artillery with the rank of Lieutenant. He was the first officer in Auckland to receive instructions to mobilize the garrison artillery forces on the evening when war was declared and went into camp at Devonport that night, being placed in charge of the signal station at Fort Victoria. Immediately on obtaining permission he joined the NZEF and left with the 4th Battery, NZ Field Artillery. After a short period of training in Egypt his battery was ordered to Gallipoli where he served until the evacuation, with one of the last guns to leave the peninsula. He then returned with his battery to Egypt and was transferred to the 11th Battery, NZFA, and ordered to France where, after six months' fighting, he was killed in action, having by this time attained the rank of Captain. [AWN 19.10.1916]

RODGER, Sergeant W J , Canterbury Infantry Battalion - Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (London Gazette, 6 Sept 1915) for conspicuous gallantry on the night of 4-5 June, 1915 at Quinn's Post, Dardanelles. During a sortie Sergeant Rodger was in charge of a party of men and although seriously wounded by a bayonet thrust he refused to retire. He exhibited throughout the night the greatest coolness and bravery and gave to all with him a fine example of devotion to duty. [AWN 20.04.1916]

ROLLETT, Sergeant R R Carr, Auckland Mounted Rifles. The Sergeant's death is referred to in a letter received by his relatives through inquiries made by the High Commissioner and the Records Officer in London. The writer, who was acting adjutant of the Auckland Mounted Rifles, states that on the night of August 27 an attack was made by the NZ forces on a hill occupied by the Turks. After the New Zealanders had driven the Turks off they counter attacked again and again. The writer was making a round of inspection when he came across Sergeant Rollett working a machine-gun by himself. In answer to an inquiry the Sergeant said cheerfully that he was all right and was thoroughly enjoying the night's work. He said he had got "a very good bag of Turks". The narrator and the gunner conversed for a while and they then separated. The Turks made six attacks upon the position that night, and at about half past two o'clock next morning Sergeant Rollett was shot through the head. He was taken to the dressing station but he never regained consciousness and died at daybreak. The deceased soldier was buried next morning near the trenches at a spot marked on the lately issued military maps as Knoll 60, Kaiajik-Aghala. The writer said that the Sergeant was held in high estimation by his officers and had been recommended for a commission in one of the English armies now being raised. [AWN 27.01.1916]

ROLLETT, Sergeant R R Carl - Among the list of Aucklanders mentioned by Sir Ian Hamilton in his despatch on the Dardanelles operations, appeared the name of ROLLEPP of the Auckland Mounted Rifles. This should have been Sergeant R R Carl Rollett of the machine-gun section, who was killed on the night of August 27 whilst gallantly working his gun single-handed against the Turks, the remainder of his section having fallen under the heavy fire of the enemy. [AWN 24.02.1916]

ROONEY, Signaller Felix, who was wounded on July 10, was a member of Sir Ernest Shackleton's Expedition to the South Pole in 1907. On returning to NZ, Signaller Rooney settled in Lyttelton where he was employed for some time on the coastal steamers Cygnet and Wakatu. [AWN 10.08.1916]

ROSCOE, Corporal V E V - Mrs. Roscoe of Manukau Road, Epsom, has received intimation from France to the effect that her son had sustained a severe head wound but was now progressing favourably. [AWN 19.10.1917]

ROSIE, Private D W, killed in action was, prior to enlistment, in the service of the Union Steam Ship Co. as purser, his last steamer being the Wahine. [AWN 19.10.1916]

RUTHERFURD, Lieutenant F A, R.F.A., awarded the Military Cross for an act of conspicuous gallantry, arrived from England by the Remuera on Sunday. He is the son of Mr. & Mrs. F W Rutherfurd of Wairamarama, Onewhero. Now only 21 years old, two years ago he was too young for enlistment in NZ and went to England. There he gained a commission in the Royal Field Artillery and after only 10 weeks training at Exeter and Shoeburyness, was despatched to France in October 1915. In January of this year Lieutenant Rutherfurd was wounded near Thiepval in both legs and one arm by bullets from a machine-gun, while dragging a wounded comrade to safety. Despite the machine-gun fire he accomplished his self-appointed task. For that action he was presented with the Military Cross at the hands of His Majesty the King at Buckingham Palace last July. The King pinned the cross on the recipient's breast, shook hand sand congratulated him. Lieutenant Rutherfurd, who limps rather badly, was travelling in mufti. He is tall, unassuming and very modest about his own deeds. He was educated at Wellington College and was a sergeant in the 3rd, Auckland, Mounted Rifles. His wounds are not yet healed and he will return to England shortly to undergo another operation. He expects to be completely restored to health in two years. [AWN 09.11.1916]

RYAN, Private J, who was killed in action on 1 June, was the eldest son of Mrs. M Walsh of Hamilton East. He was born at Tawa Flat near Wellington and was 22 years of age at the time of his death. He served his apprenticeship to the linotype-operating trade with the Napier Daily Telegraph Co and afterwards was employed by the Waikato Times, Hamilton. From there, about four years ago, he went to Australia where he was connected with the Ballarat Echo. On the outbreak of war he enlisted in the Australian forces but was invalided back to Australia from Egypt owing to ill health. He afterwards returned to NZ where he re-enlisted. His brother, Driver D C RYAN, is on active service. [AWN 22.06.1916]

SALMON, Sergeant Harry R, killed in action, was the eldest son of Mr. T B Salmon, Inspector of Post Offices, and at present acting-chief postmaster at Greymouth. Sergeant Salmon was born at Blenheim and educated in Auckland at the Wellesley Street school. In his earlier days he was a member of the Auckland Naval Artillery and later became a member of the Bluff Navals, where he proved himself an excellent rifle shot. He was also well known in rowing circles at Invercargill and the Bluff, where he served his apprenticeship at engineering. Prior to the war, Sergeant Salmon was third engineer on the s.s. Monowai, which vessel he left to join the Howitzer Battery as a gunner, leaving the Dominion with the Main Expeditionary Force. He was with the first gun to be landed at Gallipoli and passed safely through the whole campaign on the peninsula, where he was promoted to the rank of sergeant. His younger brother Charles is also serving with the forces and was awarded the D.C.M. for gallant service on Gallipoli. [AWN 02.11.1916]

SAUNDERS, Private John, who is reported as missing since 26 September, is the third son of Mr. D G Saunders of Waihi. He left NZ with the Main Body and was present at the landing at Gallipoli. Shortly after the landing he was transferred to the infantry and took part in all the principal battles there. After serving 27 weeks in the trenches he was attacked with enteritis and was invalided to England. After six weeks he had fully recovered and returned to the front. He formerly was captain of the Waihi City Football Club. At the time of enlisting he was employed at the Waihi mine. He is 23 years of age. His brother, Rifleman J S SAUNDERS, is also at the front. [AWN 16.11.1916]

SAUNDERS, Trooper J H, who is reported missing, was born at Russell and is the second son of Mr. W Saunders of that township. At the time of his enlistment he was following the calling of a fisherman. [AWN 31.08.1916]

SCHMIDT, Sergeant Major G H, who is reported to have died from wounds on 4 June, was the youngest son of Mr. G E Schmidt and was aged 21 years and 9 months. He was born at Opua, Bay of Islands, and was educated at the Onehunga District High School where he held the position of lieutenant in the senior cadets. On leaving school he joined the mercantile marine and on enlisting had only a short term to serve before qualifying for examination for a position as officer. Sergeant Major Schmidt enlisted in April 1915 as a non-commissioned officer and proceeded to camp in the following October. He left NZ as a sergeant major with the 10th Reinforcements. [AWN 29.06.1916]

SCOTT. The household represented by Private H V SCOTT, who was killed in action on 15 September 1916, has a double title to be ranked as a fighting family, both from its part in the present war and the record of its forbears. Beside the soldier lately fallen, there is still in the field his brother Lieutenant V R S SCOTT, while a third brother Private C A S SCOTT is now on his way to the Front. They are the sons of Mrs. Scott and the late Mr. W G Scott of Hikutaia and are well known in the Thames and Te Aroha district. Prior to his enlistment, Private H V Scott and Lieutenant Scott were farming in partnership at Ngarua. Their late father was a veteran of the Maori war in the Waikato while some of his brothers took part in the Heke war in the North. [AWN 30.11.1916]

SCOTT, Captain R F C, who is reported to have been wounded, is the second son of the late Captain E J Scott, master mariner, and of Mrs. J Scott of King's View Rd, Mt Eden. He is 25 years of age and unmarried. He was educated at the Auckland Grammar School, afterwards entering the civil service and joining the Postal Dept. After working in the Auckland post office he was transferred to New Plymouth where he was stationed at the outbreak of the war. [AWN 28.09.1916]

SCRIMSHAW, Sapper E G, NZ Engineers - Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (London Gazette, 6 Sept 1915) for conspicuous gallantry on 25 April, 1915, at Gaba Tepe, Dardanelles. During the operations following the landing he, on four separate occasions, went out and brought in, under a very heavy fire, wounded men after all previous attempts to rescue them had failed. He exhibited the greatest bravery and set a fine example of devotion to duty. [AWN 20.04.1916] SEDDON, Lieutenant Samuel Thomas, awarded the Military Cross, is the second son of Mrs. S L Seddon of Kings View Rd, Mt Eden, and the late Mr. Robert Seddon, and is 26 years of age. He was educated at the Tauranga Public school and the Auckland Grammar School. Prior to joining the main body of the NZEF he was employed in one of the Government Departments. He is a nephew of Mr. Richard Seddon of Hillside, Waikato, and Mr. A Swarbrick, Hamilton, and a grandson of the late Mr. Samuel T Seddon of Hamilton. Lieutenant Seddon was wounded at Gallipoli but recovered and rejoined the forces before their transfer to France. [AWN 30.11.1916]

SHAW, Private W, killed, was a single man 25 years of age. He was born in Cambridge and was the youngest son of Mr. & Mrs. Shaw of Palmerston Street, Hamilton. He was a carpenter by trade. [AWN 12.10.1916]

SHAW, Rifleman William, killed in action, was a single man aged 25, youngest son of Mr. Samuel Shaw of Palmerston Street, Hamilton. He was a carpenter and cabinetmaker and was employed at Te Kuiti when he enlisted. In the territorials he was a member of the 16th, Waikato, Regiment. [AWN 19.10.1916]

SHERA, Captain L M, M.C., NZ Engineers - That honour should have fallen to this officer, who receives the Military Cross, was not unexpected as his coolness and courage during the fight for Sari Bair were specially commended by Sir Ian Hamilton, who had also previously mentioned him in despatches. He is a native of Auckland and a son of the late Mr. J M Shera, at one time a representative of the city in Parliament. His grandfather was Colonel BALNEAVIS who commanded the 58th Regiment in the Maori War and afterwards commanded the Auckland military district and besides earlier military Balneavises there were also Scottish fighting men amongst his progenitors. Captain Shera has the King's Medal with three clasps for his service as an officer in the Boer war. He was captain of No. 3, Auckland, Field Company, NZ Engineers, for 10 years before his departure to the Dardanelles and holds the 16 years long service medal. On the Gallipoli Peninsula, Capt Shera has distinguished himself both by the strength of the engineering schemes, which he designed and directed, and by the tenacity with which he clung to his work in spite of illness. [AWN 20.01.1916]

SHORT, Lieutenant James, who died of wounds last month, was formerly stationmaster at Ravensbourne near Dunedin. At the outbreak of war he enlisted in the force that captured Samoa. On his return to NZ some seven months later he was appointed to the sixth reinforcements. [AWN 15.06.1916]

SIDDELLS. There are a number of NZ Army nurses on board the hospital ships Egypt, including Misses F SIDDELLS, Wanganui; E M MARTIN, V P BAYLY and K E WRIGHT, of Auckland, and A BUCKLEY, of Waimate. [AWN 01.06.1916] SIMMS - Mrs. S Simms of West St, Newton, has received advice that her son, Rifleman Samuel Simms has been admitted to NZ General Hospital, Brockenhurst, suffering from dysentery. [AWN 23.11.1916]

SIMPSON, Lieutenant F R, who died last week from wounds received in the Somme battle, was the eldest son of Mr. R J Simpson, 'Weekly News' newsroom staff and grandson of Mrs. Richard McGee, Waimoana, Otahuhu. After leaving the Auckland Grammar School, he entered the warehouse of Messrs Jas. Payne & Co., woollen merchants and prior to enlisting was town traveller for the firm. Lieutenant Simpson always took an active interest in volunteering and for two years had charge of the senior cadet company at Devonport. When the National Reserve and Rifle Club were formed at Devonport he gave his services as instructor. He went to Trentham with the reinforcements as sergeant-major but previous to the departure of the draft he sat for and gained his commission and left NZ as lieutenant. He was badly wounded in the hip on 27 September. [AWN 21.12.1916]

SING, Signaller Herbert Stanley, killed in action, was one of four brothers serving their country. His mother resides at 2 Browning St, Grey Lynn. He was educated at the Marist Brothers' school and was well known in swimming and football circles. Sig. Sing took part in the Gallipoli campaign from the landing and was wounded while fighting there. He came from a fighting family, his great-grandfather having fought at Waterloo and his grandfather in the Crimean war and Indian Mutiny. Several other relatives took part in the Maori wars of the early days. [AWN 03.08.1916]

SKELLON. Three sons of Mrs. Sarah SKELLON of Belgium St, Auckland, have borne their part in the great struggle. The eldest, Rifleman Thomas H SKELLON, died from wounds received in action on 21 September. The youngster Private G F SKELLON, was wounded on 29 September. Another son, Private Percy SKELLON, is still in the firing line. The father of the lads, the late Mr. Thomas SKELLON, was himself a veteran of the Maori war.

SKINNER, Lance Corporal H D, Otago Battalion - Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous gallantry on August 9, 1915, on the Gallipoli Peninsula, when he was entrusted with an important message, which had to be conveyed under a very heavy and continuous fire. Although seriously wounded, he managed with great difficulty and suffering, to successfully deliver it. His bravery and devotion to duty were most marked. [AWN 13.01.1916]

SMART, Lieutenant Albert R C, who has been wounded in France, is the son of Mr. James Smart of Invercargill and grandson of the late Mr. James Smart of Auckland. He was born at Winslow, Canterbury in 1894 and was educated at the District High School, Lumsden. He left Invercargill with the main body and was wounded at Gallipoli on 9 August 1915. After his campaign he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. [AWN 20.07.1916]

SMITH, Private Overton, son of Mr. Overton Smith, Ponsonby, has been invalided to St Thomas' Hospital, England, from the Dardanelles. The information is conveyed by a private cable, his name having not yet figured in any departmental list of invalided me. Private Overton Smith, who is 22 years of age, was born in Taranaki and received part of his education at King's College. He was in Germany for some years and his knowledge of the language served him in good stead when in Samoa with the first expeditionary force. He acted as official interpreter for some time before he returned to NZ to join the fourth reinforcements. [AWN 30.03.1916]

SMITH, Private Frank Andrew, wounded in France, is the second son of Mr. H A Smith of Dairy Flat. The Smith family has given the full strength of its manhood to the service of the Empire. William, the youngest son, when last heard from, was spending five days' leave with relatives in Middlesex, after which he expected to be sent to Egypt; while Harry, the eldest son, is in training in England. All three were engaged in farming before they enlisted. [AWN 02.11.1916]

SMITH, Lieutenant J J, Lyttelton, left with the Main Expeditionary Force, serving in Egypt and France in the Base Records Office. He has returned to report for duty. [AWN 30.11.1916]

SMITH, Mr. S F of Auckland, who was unfit for military service, has been engaged at munition work since he arrived in London in November. [AWN 01.06.1916]

SMITH, Private Frank, who was reported killed in action on 15 September, was born in the Gilbert Islands. He served nearly three years in the Atlas Engineering Co of San Francisco. He then travelled pretty well all over the Northern Pacific in auxiliary boats, ultimately finding his way to Fiji and during the latter part of his stay in the group was on the Tui Lovona and Mennie Ada. In May 1915, when calling for the second contingent, the Government of Fiji issued a proclamation barring the colour line from fighting for King and country alongside their white brethren. Frank Smith and a few of his friends left for NZ where he joined the second Maori contingent, serving for a time in Egypt and then on to France. He was a man of fine physique and very popular with everyone who knew him. [AWN 19.10.1916]

SMITH, Private James, infantry details, formerly of E. Co., 15th Reinforcements, [died] at Featherston camp on Thursday morning by cutting his throat with a razor just before the 15th left on their march over the hill for Trentham. He had given no warning of his intention. He was about 30 years of age and came from the Auckland District. [AWN 13.07.1916]

SNELL, Corporal E D, reported last week as having died from wounds, was 24 years of age in May last. He was born at Morrinsville and received his primary education at the public school there. He won a district scholarship and continued his studies at the Auckland Grammar School after which he joined the Civil Service and later on passed his matriculation and solicitor's general examinations. At the time he was accepted for military service he was studying for the law. He took a very keen interest in Sunday school and church work. Two brothers are now with the forces in France. [AWN 20.07.1916]

SNODGRASS, Private Gus, son of Mrs. D Snodgrass, Karangahake, died due to a shell burst on 3 October in the advance on the Somme. He was born in Paeroa 23 years ago and was employed as a miner at Karangahake and also in the bush in the Coromandel and Cabbage Bay districts. He was the grandson of Mr. David Snodgrass who conducted a Papakura business in Auckland in City's early days. [AWN 28.12.1916]

SPEAKMAN, Private Samuel H, of the 11th Battalion, Third Brigade, Australian Imperial Forces, was at the date of latest information concerning him, an inmate of the Red Cross Hospital at Penlau Road, Caermarthen, Wales, recovering from an attack of enteric fever. He is the third son of Mr W Speakman of 41 Boston Rd, Mt Eden and was born in Auckland and educated at the Beresford Street and Grafton Road schools. Private Speakman, who is well known in Hamilton as a rugby footballer and athlete, went to Australia some three years ago and on the outbreak of war he enlisted in the Australian main body. At an early stage of the operations at the front he was disabled by the explosion of a shell. From this injury he recovered but afterwards he was attacked by dysentery and enteric and invalided to Alexandria and eventually to England. [AWN 13.01.1916]

SPEAKMAN - Two other sons of Mr W Speakman are on active service. The eldest Trooper C H SPEAKMAN is a member of the Australian Light Horse, now in Egypt. For six years he was in the employment of the Auckland Tramways Company as conductor and inspector, and he went to Australia for the purpose of enlisting. Mr Speakman's second son, Private F L SPEAKMAN, is well known in NA as a jockey and is now in camp with the tenth reinforcements as a member of the Army Service Corps. [AWN 13.01.1916]

SPEIGHT, Private Roy, who has been wounded in action, was born at Nowra, NSW, but came across to NZ at an early age and was educated at Otahuhu. After leaving school he served his apprenticeship as a jeweller with Buchanan & Co. of Auckland. He was an active member of the Parnell and City Football Clubs at different times and acted as captain of the Suva Imperial Football Club which won Governor Escott's challenge shield. [AWN 14.09.1916]

STAINTON, Lieutenant W H, who returned by the Ruahine, has been awarded the Military Cross for services in the field. He left NZ in February 1915 with the first Maori Contingent, for Gallipoli. He was invalided to England and returned to Egypt just before the evacuation. He then proceeded to France and took part in the Somme campaign. He has returned to the Dominion to report for duty. [AWN 14.12.1916]

STARKEY, Lieutenant J B, killed in France last week, was a younger brother of Lieutenant STARKY (sic) of Morrinsville. Formerly on the staff of the Bank of NZ, he afterwards joined his brother on the Tahuroa estate and subsequently went to the Argentine. [AWN 07.12.1916]

STAYTE. Mrs. E Stayte of Pukekohe, has four sons with the colours. Lance Corporal Ollie, who was wounded in the right hand, is convalescent. Private Jack Walter was wounded in July last; another son, Syd, is fighting in France; and her eldest son, William, has sailed for the front. Mrs. Stayte and her family are well known at Thames, Paeroa, Waihi and Auckland. [AWN 23.11.1916]

STEELE, Private James Ballantyne, son of Mr A C Steele, Picton Street, has been wounded. He received a compound fracture of the right leg which had to be amputated, also injuries to the head. Private Steele is 23 years of age and prior to enlisting with the Eighth Reinforcements was a member of the 'Herald' commercial staff. He was a popular and prominent member of the Auckland Hockey Club. When at Trentham he showed great keenness and although he had had no previous military experience, he qualified as a marksman prior to leaving for the front. His brother, Private R B Steele, left with the main body and after being wounded, returned to the front. [AWN 20.01.1916]

STEELE, Private James B, son of Mr A C Steele, Picton Street, has cabled his father stating he has recovered and was returning to the camp that day. It was previously reported that Private Steele had sustained a compound fracture of the right leg, necessitating amputation. [AWN 27.01.1916]

STEVENS, Rifleman Charles F, killed in action, was the youngest son of Mrs. Jessie Stevens and the late Mr. W T Stevens. He was 19 years old and was educated at the Aratapu District High School, where he passed for the Junior Civil Service and in two subjects in the senior examination. He belonged to the school cadets for years and when 16 joined the territorials. Before leaving for camp he was employed by Mr. J Bergman of Te Kopuru. His brother was wounded while in France and is at present in the Walton on Thames Hospital. His mother now resides at Thames. [AWN 02.11.1916]

STEWART, Lieutenant W D Downie, M.P. for Dunedin West, was invalided from France to England just before the New Zealanders went into the thick of the fighting at the Somme. Lieutenant Downie Stewart, who left the Dominion about a year ago, spent a few weeks in Egypt and proceeded in April to France, where he was engaged in trench operations for a few weeks. During this time nothing of an exceptional nature happened, desultory raiding and counter raiding being the only form of excitement. Subsequently Lieutenant Downie Stewart was attached to General Sir Alexander Russell's divisional staff, and in this position he was engaged in intelligence work for a few weeks. It was not long before the initiation of the great Somme offensive that Lieutenant Downie Stewart was seized with a serious attack of rheumatoid arthritis, a severe rheumatic complaint, commonly known as 'trench fever'. He was invalided to England and was sent to the spa at Bath but as his condition did not improve the medical authorities decided to send him back to NZ. Lieutenant Downie Stewart states that he has benefited considerably from the voyage and that he lately has been able to walk about the deck of the vessel. He is in good spirits, although disappointed at not being able, as he says, to 'see it through'. "I did not like leaving the front" he said yesterday "and should I be well enough to return next summer I shall be very glad to go". He will proceed to Dunedin in the Maheno and after the holidays will visit Rotorua and take a course at the baths there. He pays a high tribute to the army hospital arrangements, both in France and England. In France, he says, there are 15 British hospital from which a choice for each case may be made. The organisation both there and in England is described as 'marvellous'. Lieutenant Downie Stewart states that he has heard nothing but praise from Imperial officers regarding the way in which the New Zealanders who took part in the fighting in France acquitted themselves. He states that Lieutenant T E Y SEDDON, M.P., who saw him off on his departure from England, is looking well and is in high spirits. [AWN 21.12.1916]

STEWART, Private Luke Erroll, reported wounded, is a son of Mrs. S Stewart, Grey Lynn. He was born at Papakura and is 25 years of age. Prior to enlisting he was engaged as a blacksmith at Cambridge and was well known as a footballer and pedestrian. He also figured as a swimmer and took an active part in many outdoor sports. Private Stewart left NZ as a farrier last year. [AWN 27.07.1916]

STEWART, Private Walter, son of Mr. D Stewart of Nelson, was killed in action in France on 12 June. He was in Auckland at the outbreak of the war and was a member of the force which occupied Samoa. Returning to Auckland, he proceeded to Australia and again enlisted for active service. He was 34 years of age and a single man. Private Stewart was a brother of Mr. Malcolm Stewart of Messrs W Gunson & Co, and another brother is on active service. [AWN 06.07.1916]
(Buried: France 768 Estaires Cemetery, Parents: Donald and Harriet Octavia (nee Johnson) STEWART)

STEWART, Captain Hugh Stewart, M.C., who left as lieutenant in the A Company, Canterbury Infantry Regiment, occupied the position of professor at Canterbury College before he joined the main body. [AWN 20.01.1916]

STEWART, Lance Corporal Matthew, recently reported as wounded, is the eldest son of Mrs. H D Stewart of Parawai, Thames. Being one of the first to enlist he left NZ with the main body (6th Haurakis) and went through the campaign against the Turks, afterwards going to France with the Anzacs. He was a pupil of the Thames High School and a prominent athlete on the football field. Another brother, Jack STEWART, is at present in camp at Curragh, Ireland, and David STEWART, the third son of the family, died of wounds, received at Gallipoli. [AWN 08.06.1916]

STOODLEY, Private William John, killed in action, was the only son of Mr. & Mrs. W J Stoodley of Parkfield Terrace, Auckland. He was born in Cardiff, Wales and was 26 years of age. He was educated at Home and afterwards following the occupation of a port butcher. He arrived in NZ about three years ago and enlisted for the front in the early days of the war. He left NZ for Egypt early in 1915 and went through the Gallipoli campaign without injury and was finally transferred to France. [AWN 10.08.1916]

STRACHAN, Corporal Douglas Arthur, Wellington Mounted Rifles, Main Body now serving in Egypt, son of Alexander Strachan, Waverley, has been awarded the Military Medal for distinguished conduct at the Battle of Romani. He was mentioned in despatches for gallantry on the Gallipoli peninsula as was his brother, Trooper Laurie STRACHAN. Of the three other sons in the family, one has volunteered for service and a fourth has been drawn in the first ballot. [AWN 07.12.1916]

STRUT, Trooper Charles E, formerly of Taranaki, reported killed in action, prior to enlisting was head buyer in the New Plymouth district for Messrs Dimock & Co. He was well known in hunting and farming circles in Taranaki and was an enthusiastic and successful show exhibitor. Trooper Strut was married and leaves a widow and four young children. One of his brothers is at the front and a second brother died of enteric while on active service. [AWN 10.08.1916]

STUCKEY, Major F - A tribute to the memory of the late Major Stuckey, who was killed in action at Gallipoli, is published in the last issue of the King's Collegian, the journal of King's College. Major Stuckey was a member of the college teaching staff during three periods embracing 15 years. By his will he bequeathed to the college his private library, a sum of £100 to form the nucleus of a fund to build a school swimming bath and £100, the interest on which is to provide an annual sixth form English prize. [AWN 29.06.1916]

SUTHERLAND, Acting Corporal Charles E, killed in action, was an orphan. When 8 years of age he was sent from a State institution in Auckland to the family of Mrs. M ROSS of Tuatara, Kawaka, with whom he lived for four years, attending the local public school. He then went south and spent some years at the Boys Training Farm, Wareroom, where he received the remainder of his education. Afterwards he took up the occupation of a dairy farmer and became a fine young colonist with every promise of making progressive and successful farmer. He enlisted in July 1915 and left Trentham as a Corporal. He had nominated Mrs. Ross as his next of kin and he kept up correspondence with her household after going to the front. [AWN 21.12.1916]

SYKES, Major (now Colonel) F B - Awarded the Distinguished Service Order for operations at Lone Pine and Hill 60. [Further details in the Weekly News section, 13.01.1916]

SYKES - Amongst the callers at the High Commissioner's Office this week was Mr. T G Sykes, father of Lieutenant Colonel F B SYKES, DSO, commanding the 2nd Brigade NZ Artillery. Mr. Sykes saw 40 years service in India, most of the time as principal of the Martiniere College at Lucknow, after which he retired and settled down in England. He was himself keenly interested in volunteer movements. For 24 years he held commissions ranging from lieutenant to lieutenant colonel in the Martiniere Companies of rifle volunteers. [AWN 01.06.1916]

SYMON, Lieutenant Colonel F, RNZA, was staff officer for some time to the commander of Coast Defences, Wellington. He left as major commanding No. 1 Battery, Field Artillery Brigade and received his promotion at the front. [AWN 20.01.1916]