Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

TAIT, Gunner Christopher Roy reported died of wounds on 5 October, was wounded in the left thigh, arm and hand on 25 September. He was the second son of Mr. & Mrs. John Tait of Rautangi Rd, Mt Eden and was 21 years of age. Gunner Tait was born in Masterton attending for many years the Masterton High School. At the time of enlisting he was engaged as ledger-keeper at the Hamilton branch of the NZ Loan & Mercantile Agency Co.Ltd. [AWN 19.10.1916]

TALL - 9 Soldier Sons. Mr. & Mrs. Benjamin Edward TALL, 93 Albany St, Dunedin, have eight sons wearing the King's uniform, or have done so, and another, the youngest, accepted for service at the Front. Mr. Tall himself fought in the Indian Mutiny and the Maori Wars. The eldest son Benjamin Edward, was wound in the neck in the Boer War. Now living in Dunedin. Second son Daniel Thomas, wounded in the face in the Boer War. Now living in Auckland. Third son George Gilbert also fought in the Boer War and is now at the Front. Received shrapnel wounds in the shoulder. William TALL served in India with the Royal Horse Artillery and when transferred to France it was to serve in the Royal Fusiliers. He was in Ireland at the time of the Sinn Fein revolt and there won the Victoria Cross. Harry Phillips served in India with the Royal Horse Artillery. He was in the Loos battle where he was shot in the lungs. No word has been received since and he is supposed to be invalided. Jack served in India with the RHA, was transferred to England then to France Leonard Ernest enlisted in Dunedin, wounded at Gallipoli receiving five bullets in his right arm. He is now discharged and in Wellington. Charles Gilbert joined an early reinforcement draft and was wounded, is now back with his regiment. Arthur Simons, aged nearly 20, has enlisted with the 22 reinforcement and is waiting to go to the Front. [AWN 12.10.1916]

TATHAM, Private Walter P, wounded and gassed in France and admitted to hospital on August 16, is a native of Waihi. After following other occupations as a lad, he became a miner and had experience on both the Waihi and Coromandel goldfields. His mother and other members of the family reside in Haszard St, Waihi. [AWN 31.08.1916[

TAVENDER, Sergeant B N, D.C.M., left as a private in the A Company, Canterbury Regiment, and was another main body man. [AWN 20.01.1916]

TAYLOR, Private Arthur Edward, E Company, Ninth Reinforcements, died at Trentham Hospital on New Year's Day, from cerebro-spinal meningitis. He was taken ill suddenly last week. Deceased, who was 24 years of age, was the son of Mr John Taylor of Whakapirau, North Auckland. The body was sent North for interment. [AWN 06.01.1916]

TAYLOR. The report that Rifleman William F TAYLOR was wounded on 15 September, directs attention to the fact that the family to which he belongs, that of Mr. John Taylor, farmer of Whakapirau, has been represented in the war by four soldiers. Rifleman TAYLOR, prior to his enlistment, was in the employment of Messrs Stewart Bros. Ltd of Helensville. For nine months before he went on foreign service he was a member of the military corps which mounted guard over the wireless station at Awanui. So also was his brother, Arthur Edward TAYLOR, who afterwards trained for foreign service but died of meningitis at Trentham on 1 Janury. Two other brothers, Privates Alfred John TAYLOR and George Henry TAYLOR, are now serving in Egypt. [AWN 23.11.1916]

TAYLOR, Lieutenant F A, who is reported as having been wounded on 8 July, is a son of Mr. F C Taylor of Herbert Rd, Mt Eden. He is well known in Auckland, having had a distinguished career at the Auckland University where he was graduated B.A. in 1912 and M.A. in 1913. He was also an Auckland nominee for the Rhodes scholarship. Prior to his enlistment Lieutenant Taylor was a member of the teaching staff of the Auckland Grammar School. He has been on active service since October and his two brothers William and Horace TAYLOR, are also members of the forces and cablegrams have been received from Lieutenant Taylor, who has been invalided to England, stating that his wounds are only slight and that he is progressing satisfactorily. [AWN 20.07.1916]

TAYLOR, Gunner Wallace Barratt, who was killed in action in France on 10 October, was the youngest son of Mr. R W Taylor of Eden Terrace. Born in Christchurch, and educated in Timaru, he was among the first to enlist on the outbreak of war and took part in the occupation of Samoa. Receiving his discharge when he came back, he was for a time one of the garrison at the Mt Eden ammunition works. He enlisted again as a driver and left for Trentham in December 1915. After active service in Gallipoli, Gunner Taylor was in Egypt for some time before being sent to France. Prior to enlisting he was an employee of the Leyland & O'Brien Timber Co. [AWN 30.11.1916]

THAXTER, Private Laurie, killed in action, was a nephew and adopted son of Mr. John Lennard of Waihou. He enlisted with the Wellington Battalion, Main Body and was wounded at Gallipoli. He returned invalided to the Dominion but rejoined and was sent to France. He was 27 years of age. [AWN 09.11.1916]

THOMAS, Lance Corporal Charles Ernest, died of wounds, was the seventh son of John Thomas, Coromandel. He was born in Ashburton 28 years ago. When his parents left Ashburton for Coromandel in 1908 he came with them and started the firm of Thomas & Petley from which he eventually retired in favour of his partner. Since then he had been with the firm of Hutchinson & Co, Auckland, as manager. [AWN 21.12.1916]

THOMSON (Sinclair-Thomson), Captain Alastair, killed in action, was the third son of Mr.Sinclair Thomson of Geraldine, who previously lost another son in the Mesopotamian campaign. Capt Thomson was born at Dunedin and educated at Christ's College, Christchurch and Loretto. When he returned to NZ he studied at Lincoln College for about one year and was then engaged in sheep farming in North Otago. He went Home in the early months of the war and was given a commission in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. During the past year he saw a great deal of fighting. [AWN 03.08.1916]

THOMSON, Bombardier J P, 2nd Battery, N.Z.F.A. - Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous gallantry and ability from August 8 to 12, 1915, at Chailak Dere. At one time three guns of the battery were out of action through being hit by bullets, breakages or other damage. Bombardier Thomson, assisted by another man, managed to get them all in action again, and to keep them going. To effect this he had, on more than one occasion, to strip and repair the guns while under heavy fire. His coolness and bravery were most marked and his work highly valuable at a critical time. [AWN 13.01.1916] THOMS, Captain N W B T, M.C., left with the main body as D.A.A.G on the headquarters staff. Before the outbreak of war he was acting as adjutant to the 12th, Nelson, Regiment. [AWN 20.01.1916]

THORNES, Private Eric, who is reported missing since 17 September, is the youngest son of Mr. J Thornes of Auckland and is 25 years of age. Born in Auckland, he received his education at St Johns College and King's College and at the time of his enlistment was salesman in his father's branch land agency at Hamilton. He served at Gallipoli and in Egypt and France. The last letter received from him was dated 12 September. His corp was then expecting to go into the trenches in a day or two, so it is presumed it was with the New Zealanders in the advance that started on 15 September. [AWN 16.11.1916]

THORNTON, Corporal Dan, despatch rider withy the Royal Engineers since the war broke out, has been killed in action. At the time of his death he was only 19 1/2 years of age. Corporal Thornton was a native of NZ, having been born at Maungakawa, Cambridge, and was the only child of Mr. W Thornton and grandson of the late Captain Worsp of Auckland. [AWN 07.12.1916]

THORNTON, Private Robert, reported missing, is a son of Mrs. A E Nevill of Onehunga. He was born in the Northern Wairoa district 26 years ago but he had been residing in Onehunga for some years until he enlisted. He was in the employ of the One Tree Hill Road Board. His younger brother, Percy THORNTON, is also serving in France. [AWN 16.11.1916]

THOUMINE. Mr. P Thoumine of Kaponga has three sons on active service. Trooper L C THOUMINE, who left with the fourth reinforcements, served in Egypt for some time and then went to Gallipoli and was there for the evacuation. He then went back to Egypt and has served there ever since. He has had the best of health all through. In a recent letter he states that he came through the recent fighting in Egypt with just a few scratches. Private D E THOUMINE and Private L S THOUMINE who left with the 12th Reinforce-ments, have both been wounded in France. Leonard was wounded on 27 September and David on 1 October. David enlisted in the main body and was the first in Kaponga to enlist but after being a fort-night in camp was rejected on account of a bad leg. Mr. Thoumine also had three nephews on active service, Sergeant Horace J PRATTLEY who was killed in action in France on 1 October, Trooper N WHEELER, who died of enteric, and Trooper J WHEELER who has returned as unfit. [AWN 23.11.1916]

TILSEY, Sergeant R, Auckland Infantry Battalion - Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (London Gazette, 6 Sept 1915) for conspicuous gallantry on the night of 4-5 June, 1915, on the occasion of a sortie from Quinn's Post, Dardanelles. An enemy trench had been carried by assault but was enfiladed by the fire of a machine-gun. Sergeant Tilsey commenced to build up a sandbag traverse and, not with-standing that the sandbags were constantly being blown away by the enemy's bombs, he, with great courage and regardless of danger, continued his efforts until he was severely wounded. [AWN 20.04.1916]

TODD, Rifleman John Matthew, B Company, 1st Battalion, NZ Rifle Brigade, who was killed in action at Mutrah on the Egyptian frontier, on Christmas Day, was a well-known contractor. His widow, Mrs. E Todd, lives in Arney St, Newton. Rifleman Todd was a son of the late James Todd, one of the early settlers in Otago. Two of his nephews, sons of different brothers, went with him on active service. [AWN 13.01.1916]

TREACHER, Despatch Rider Arnold R. Advice has been received by Mrs. Walter Treacher, Kings View Rd, Mt Eden, that her third son has been wounded in France. He was formerly employed by Messrs L D Nathan & Co and when he enlisted a year ago was only 18 years of age. One of his brothers was killed at Gallipoli. [AWN 22.06.1916]

TUCK, Second Lieutenant George A, son of Mr. Chas Tuck of Mt Eden, is reported wounded. He is a native of Cambridge and served in a NZ contingent in the South African war. When the present war broke out he was in business at Rotorua as a builder. [AWN 28.09.1916]

TURNBULL, Major W M, D.S.O., arrived at Auckland on Sunday by the Remuera from England. He left NZ with the Main Body, in command of the 14th, South Otago, Infantry Co and took part in repelling the first Turkish attack on the Suez Canal. After that he went to Cairo and was despatched with the infantry brigade to take part in the first landing at Anzac on April 25. At the end of July he was wounded after having been in action at Anzac, at Cape Helles, and again at Anzac. Invalided to England, he was sent upon recovery to train NZ troops in France. Ultimately he was despatched on his present mission to bring home the Remuera's contingent of invalided men. It was while engaged on Gallipoli that Major Turnbull earned the Distinguished Service Order. [AWN 09.11.1916]

TURNER, Captain John Lancelot Harcout, Royal NZ Artillery, has been killed in Flanders. He was a son of Lieutenant Col C Harcourt Turner of Wellington who was second in command of the NZEF to Samoa and who has since been in charge of the German prison camp at Motuihi, Auckland. He was 25 years of age and was educated at Wellington College. For a short time Captain Turner was in the Bank of NSW but left to join the RNZ Artillery. He was sent to England for training and his course of instruction was nearly finished when war broke out and he went at once to the western front. He was in the retreat from Mons and the subsequent operations and was mentioned in despatches in June last. He was awarded the Military Cross and was personally invested by the King at Buckingham Palace in January. He was then sent to Egypt to join the NZA, to which he belonged. Captain Turner later returned to the western front with his regiment. Until his death he not only escaped being wounded but never had a day's illness. [AWN 27.07.1916]

TWISTLETON, Lieutenant F M, M.C., left Gisborne with the Gisborne contingent of frontiersmen attached to the Otago Mounted Rifles. He served in the South African war for 16 months, leaving NZ with the second contingent. On returning he took an active part in the establishment of the Legion of Frontiersmen and when he left Gisborne he held the rank of captain. He was in command not only of the Poverty Bay squadron but also held the temporary command for NZ. He was one of the originators of the offer to the Government of a squadron of frontiersmen for service at the front but the offer was declined. Subsequently, however, a draft of about 30 frontiersmen was taken from Gisborne to make up the deficiency in the Otago Mounted Rifles quota of the second reinforcements. Lieutenant Twistleton, who is a Yorkshireman, is 44 years of age. He was in most of the important engagements at Gallipoli. He is now in a convalescent hospital in Egypt, having had an attack of enteric. [AWN 20.01.1916]

UREN, Lieutenant Philip, 1ST Lancashire Fusiliers, killed in action 18 May. A previous cable message reported that he had been missing since that date. Lieutenant Uren was educated at the Lawrence High School. He left Auckland with the 11th, North Auckland, Mounted Rifles, main body and was subsequently recommended for a commission. After studying at Cairo for some time, he was appointed to the 1st Lancashire Fusiliers and went through the Gallipoli campaign, acting as bombing officer for his company. [AWN 01.06.1916]

UREN, Lieutenant Philip of the 29th Division, Lancashire Fusiliers, who was killed in France on 18 May, was the youngest son of Mr. P Uren, late town clerk of Lawrence, Otago. He left the service of the Bank of NSW to enlist with the main expeditionary force from Auckland and was subsequently promoted to lieutenant. He passed through all the fighting in Gallipoli, from the landing to the evacuation, without receiving a scratch but had only been two weeks in France before meeting his death. [AWN 08.06.1916]

VEART, Private Albert Ernest, died of wounds, was a son of Mr. George Veart of Auckland. He received a gunshot wound in the chest on 30 October and died on 6 December. For nine years prior to enlistment he was employed as a conductor on the Grey Lynn tram service. His original trade was as a printers machinist and as such he was for some years in the Weekly News office and that of Scott Printing. Some years ago he played as a forward in the Hobson Football team. [AWN 21.12.1916]

VILE, Private F C, killed in action on 27 July, was the only son of Mr. & Mrs. F Vile, Te Awamutu, and a grandson of the late Mr. J Vile, ex MP for Manawatu. He was born in Pahiatua in 1896 and educated at the Pahiatua school and the Wanganui High School. Entering the railway service in 1913 he qualified for an engine-driver's certificate at Auckland prior to leaving for Trentham. [AWN 17.08.1916]

VIPON, Sergeant Mark, who was killed in action on August 9, was the only son of Mrs. J H Snook of Northcote and the late Mr. Mark Vipond of Matakana and was 22 years of age. He was one of the first men to enlist in the main body of the NZEF two years ago. [AWN 31.08.1916]