Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

WAGENER, Lance Corporal Wilfred Ernest, reported wounded, is the youngest son of Mr. E Wagener of Houhora. He is 23 years of age and was born in Maldon, Victoria. He came to NZ in his very early years and was educated in the Dominion. At the time of his enlistment he was engaged in the Ohaupo district. He left NZ a few months ago. [AWN 27.07.1916]

WAGENER, Lance Corporal Wilfred Ernest, who was recently reported killed in action, was the youngest son of Mr. & Mrs. E Wagener of Houhora and was 23 years of age. He was born in Victoria but came to NZ in his early youth and was educated in the Dominion, where he served his apprenticeship to the blacksmithing trade. He followed his calling at Kaitaia for some time and later at Ohaupo where he was engaged at the time of his enlistment. [AWN 17.08.1916]

WALKER, Private Cecil Louis, killed in action in France on 16 September, was a son of Mr. Maxwell Walker of Otumoetai, Tauranga and a brother of Professor Maxwell Walker of Auckland. Prior to enlistment Private Walker was employed for 13 years by Messrs Leyland and O'Brien, leaving them to take a position with the Auckland Rimu Timber Co., with which firm he remained until his enlistment. He left with the reinforcements and saw service in Gallipoli prior to taking the field in France. On both fronts he was employed as a bomb thrower. While in Auckland Private Walker took a keen interest in athletics, being a member of the Ponsonby Rugby Football Club and also a keen cricketer. [AWN 30.11.1916]

WALKER, Lance Corporal C R, who was this week reported killed in action, was the son of Mr. J J Walker of Richmond, Grey Lynn, and a native of Auckland. Prior to enlistment he was employed in the Auckland office of the AMP Society and was an enthusiastic hockey player. [AWN 21.09.1916]

WALLACE, Private W, late of Herne Bay and Thames, who has died of wounds, was a member of the Waitemata Boating Club. At the time of enlistment he was in business at the Thames, where his mother lives. [AWN 16.11.1916]

WALLACE, Gunner, reported killed in action, was a son of Mr. George Wallace, manager of the Gas Co. at Devonport. He specialised in field artillery work. Sergeant Major Allan WALLACE, Rhodes Scholar, who was killed while serving his country on the Gallipoli Peninsula, was a brother of Gunner Wallace. [AWN 03.08.1916]

WALLER. Lance Corporal L J WALLER, killed in action in France 15 September, was the eldest son of Mrs. Annie Waller, Te Kuiti, one of four brothers on active service. Private A E WALLER has been wounded; Prive H T WALLER is still in France and Arthur G WALLER is in the Navy. [AWN 21.12.1916]

WALLER, Lance Corporal L J, killed in France, worked for the Morrinsville Town Board for a year or two prior to enlisting. He leaves a wife and young family. [AWN 12.10.1916]

WALLER, Lance Corporal Leonard James, killed in action, was the eldest son of the late James Henry Waller and Annie Waller of Te Kuiti. He was born in Westport and before enlisting was employed by the County Council in Morrinsville. He leaves a widow and two young children. Two brothers are on active service in France and a third is now on leave from HMS Pyramus. [AWN 19.10.1916]

WALSH. Three sons of Mrs. Margaret Walsh, Ryle St, Ponsonby, and the late Mr. William Walsh, have worn the King's uniform in the New Zealand forces. Private Norman H WALSH laid down his life at Gallipoli, dying from the effects of wounds and dysentery. Signaller Sergeant Clifford WALSH has been wounded three times and is now at the Walton on Thames Hospital. Private Clarence William WALSH left with a reinforcement draft some months ago. Mrs. Walsh also has a brother and numerous cousins and nephews in the forces despatched from England. [AWN 07.12.1916]

WARREN. There is reason to believe that the Aubrey WARREN mentioned in a cable message as having been on board the hospital ship Arabia recently blown up in the Mediterranean by a mine or torpedo, and who is now reported missing, is the son of Mrs. J H BUTLER of O'Neil St, Ponsonby, by her first marriage. His real name is Aubrey SMITH but he had enlisted under his mother's maiden name, first on HMS Challenger and then on the hospital ship Maheno, from which a transfer to another hospital ship is not improbable. Mrs. Butler is making enquiries at Port Said where other survivors from the Arabai are in hospital, with a view to establishing the missing man's identity. Two other sons have served with the Australian forces. A fourth son, Private Frederick J SMITH, who left with the NZ troops, was on Gallipoli but has been invalided home. Mrs. Butler has also lost a brother and two nephews. [AWN 07.12.1916]

WATERS, Sergeant Mervyn Leigh, killed in action on August 4, was the youngest son of Mr. & Mrs. Alfred Waters, of Riverside, Clevedon, where he had lived all his life. He was keenly interested in military affairs and was corporal in the Franklin Mounted Rifles before the territorial scheme came in force, being afterwards promoted sergeant. He served some time on Gallipoli, taking part in the evacuation. He was a valued member of the local lawn tennis and football clubs. His brother, Corporal Rupert L Waters, served with him and is still in Egypt at the front. [AWN 24.08.1916]

WATSON. Five sons of Mr. & Mrs. Robert Watson of Washington Valley, Nelson, have joined the forces. Private Noel WATSON, the fifth son, is a specialist attached to a reinforcement at present in camp. The late Gunner Cameron WATSON, the fourth son enlisted in the Samoan Expedition. After his return to NZ he joined a reinforcement draft, being attached to the Howitzer Battery. He fought at Anzac, right up to within a few hours of the evacuation, when he was killed on 14 December 1915. Sergeant William Thornton WATSON, the eldest son, enlisted at Sydney with the Australian Expeditionary Force for New Guinea. He took part in the fighting at Rabaul and after the defeat of the Germans at that island he was, owing to the illness of the British Commissioner, appointed captain of the native police and, as acting-commissioner, was sent in charge of a company of armed natives to the island of New Hanover, where the British flag was hoisted and the German settlers were rounded up to take the oath of neutrality. In New Guinea he contracted fever. Afterwards he joined the Australian Forces and served at the Dardanelles. Since then he has seen fighting in France and in Belgium. Sergeant Walter WATSON, the second son, enlisted and left NZ with the Main Body as a farrier attached to No.2 Battery. While in Egypt he was promoted to farrier-sergeant. He was present at the landing at Gallipoli, but as the horses were not required he returned with them to Egypt, where he remained for some time. Being desirous of seeing the fighting he applied to be allowed to join the battery as a gunner. After an examination he was appointed a sergeant and he has seen much service in France. He was mentioned in General Orders and has been complimented on the excellency of the shooting of the gun in his charge. About the middle of October he was wounded severely in the chest and right arm and was removed to a hospitaql in England. The late Lieutenant Kenneth Robert WATSON, Howitzer Battery, the third son, enlisted and left NZ as a specialist in the Howitzer Battery. He was present at the landing of the British forces at Gallipoli and afterwards was engaged on observation work at Walker's Ridge. He was mentioned in despatches by General Birdwood for conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty. He was invalided to England and after two months absence he returned to the firing line just a few weeks before the evacuation was decided upon. Prior to the forces being removed from Egypt after the Dardanelles campaign and being taken to France he was promoted to be a lieutenant. He fought through the great push in France in September. While attending to his duties in an ammunition dump on 5 October he was killed by a shell. [AWN 21.12.1916]

WATSON, Sapper K W, Field Troop, NZ Engineers - Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal, for conspicuous bravery on the night of August 6-7, 1915, at Chailak Dere, when he assisted in the demolition of wire entanglements under very severe fire. Although wounded himself he refused help and went out to rescue an officer who was wounded and whom he safely assisted into cover. His bravery and devotion to duty were most marked. [AWN 13.01.1916]

WATSON, Private L Crawford, NZAMC - Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (London Gazette, 6 Sept 1915) for excellent conduct and exemplary good work in connection with the improvisation of the hospital ship Lutzow and showed the greatest courage under all situations in attending to his duties, no work being too difficult or hazardous and he gave a five exhibition of devotion to duty. [AWN 20.04.1916]

WATSON, Private L Crawford, NZAMC - Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (London Gazette, 6 Sept 1915) for excellent conduct and exemplary good work in connection with the improvisation of the hospital ship Lutzow and showed the greatest courage under all situations in attending to his duties, no work being too difficult or hazardous and he gave a five exhibition of devotion to duty. [AWN 20.04.1916]

WATSON. At a meeting of the Nelson City Council last week, the Mayor referred to the patriotism of the Watson family of Nelson. Mr. & Mrs. Robert Watson had five sons, all of whom had voluntarily enlisted. Two have been killed, one severely wounded, one was at the Front and the fifth - and youngest who had just reached military age - was in camp with reinforcements. The Council placed on record its appreciation of the patriotism and regard of Mr. & Mrs. Watson and their sons. [AWN 23.11.1916]

WATSON. The great patriotic sacrifice made by a Nelson family was referred to by the Mayor at a recent meeting of the City Council there. Mr. Watson, a member of the council, and Mrs. Watson, had, he said, sent all their five sons to the war, the youngest leaving with the last reinforcements. Two had unhappily been killed and a third was seriously wounded. He thought that was a record for one family and it showed very great patriotism indeed. He moved that the council place on record its deep sense of the patriotism of Mr. & Mrs. Watson and their sons. The motion was carried unanimously. [AWN 30.11.1916]

WELCH, Rifleman G C, killed in action on October 5, was the second son of Mr. Geo E Welch of Horsham Downs, Hamilton, Waikato. He left NZ with the Rifle Brigade in February last. He was 21 years of age and was born in Gordonton and educated at the public school there. After leaving school he was employed on his father's farm. He was a keen footballer, being a prominent member of the junior fifteen of the Gordonton Club. [AWN 02.11.1916]

WEYMOUTH, Mr. Norman, late of Parnell, has a commission in the Royal Engineers. Until coming to England to offer his services he had been engaged in the Argentine for some time as civil engineer. [AWN 01.06.1916]

WHITE, Lieutenant David, reported wounded, is one of five sons who went from Roxburgh with the early Expeditionary Forces. He went right through the Gallipoli fighting without receiving injury. [AWN 15.06.1916]

WHITE, 2nd Lieutenant Thos. D, who has been reported wounded is the eldest son of Mrs. William Comtin of Roxburgh, Otago. He is 23 years of age and was born at Glasgow, coming to NZ with his mother and brothers in November 1910. On the outbreak of war he was farming near Roxburgh and he enlisted in the main body for the Expeditionary Force, with which he fought, without being injured, throughout the campaign at Gallipoli, where he was promoted to the rank of sergeant-major. He received his lieutenancy on returned to Egypt. Before enlisting he was a corporal in the territorials and took an active interest in the affairs of the Anglican Church at Roxburgh. Lieutenant White's three brothers are on active service. [AWN 22.06.1916]

WHITMORE. The late Private Francis G WHITMORE, son of Mr. C E Whitmore of Paeroa, was one of three brothers in the NZEF. He was born at the Thames, 36 years ago and was educated at the public school, Turua. Afterwards he worked as a sawmill machinist and joiner at Paeroa and Hamilton. He was a keen football player and received a gold medal as being the best all-round player in the Paeroa Rugby Team. Two of his brothers are now on active service in France. [AWN 26.10.1916]

WILKINSON, Private Harold, killed in action, was the only son of Mr. J W Wilkinson of Whangarei. He was 23 years of age. He was educated at the Whangarei High School and, on leaving school, entered the office of Mr. W A Carruth, solicitor. He was a keen hockey player and yachtsman. [AWN 19.10.1916]

WILSON, Sergeant Major A, serving with the 13th Cheshire Regt, previously reported missing, is now reported to have been killed in action on 16 July. His next of kin is Mrs. Hyams, Kent Terrace, Wellington. [AWN 23.11.1916]

WILSON, Rifleman Robert James, killed in action in France on 21 October, was the second son of Mrs. Wilson of Roto-o-Rangi, Cambridge, and brother of Mrs. Harry MORGAN of Taumarunui and of Rifleman W E WILSON of Roto-o-Rangi, now on active service. He enlisted from the Alfredton district, joining the Rifle Brigade. He took part in the fighting in Egypt on Christmas Day and again in January last. Rifleman Wilson was born 23 years ago in Dannevirke and finished his education at the Pahiatua district high school. He was a keen sportsman. [AWN 30.11.1916]

WILSON, Private William, killed in France, enlisted in the North Auckland Infantry. He was wounded on Gallipoli and was invalided to England, subsequently rejoining his battalion in France. He was a native of Lancashire and arrived in NZ 12 years ago. For a considerable period he was employed in the Public Works Dept in the King Country and ultimately joined the railway service, at Te Kuiti, whence he was transferred to Dargaville. He was 32 years of age. [AWN 19.10.1916]

WILSON, Lieutenant Kirkby H, of Auckland, is now on the Tigris. His younger brother is still with the New Zealanders. [AWN 01.06.1916]

WILSON, Sergeant Major D, has been seriously wounded in the thigh and ankle. He is a brother of Mr. C A Wilson of Auckland and he was at one time a member of the clerical staff of the Auckland Electric Tramways Company. He was in Canada when war broke out and he enlisted there as a private, subsequently being promoted to his present position. He was wounded and suffered gas poisoning in the fight at Loos and also took part in the fighting at Hill 60 in September of last year. [AWN 13.07.1916]

WOOD, Captain J A, M.C., NZ Staff Corps, who has been awarded the Military Cross, left NZ as adjutant of the 3rd, Auckland, Mounted Rifles Regiment, a unit of the main body of the NZEF and was reported wounded last August. Before the troops were mobilized for service he was adjutant of the Auckland Mounted Territorial Regiment. Captain Wood served as a trooper with the First NZ Mounted Rifles in South Africa and won his first commission in the field with the Sixth Contingent. After the declaration of peace he engaged in business in Palmerston North. Although entered in the army list as a captain, he subsequently joined the NZ Staff Corps as a sergeant major and was quartered at Christchurch, winning each step in promotion a second time. Already Captain Wood wears the Queen's (five clasps) and King's (three clasps) South African medals, and also the long service and good conduct medals. [AWN 20.01.1916]

WOOD, Major F A, NZSC, who left with the main Expeditionary Force as adjutant of the Auckland Mounted Rifles Regiment, and who was wounded in the arm at Gallipoli, is in the Endsleigh Palace Hospital for officers in London. He recently had an attack of erysipelas, which left him dangerously ill. He gradually recovered from this attack and although his wound received a set back, he was well on the road to recovery when his last letters left England. Major Wood was recently awarded the Military Cross. His wife and daughter reside in Mt Eden Road. [AWN 27.01.1916]

WOOD, Major E A, Awarded Military Cross, for his continually fine work at Gallipoli, culminating in the assault at Chunuk Bair, has been invalided home with a shattered hand. [AWN 23.03.1916]

WOOD, Private Thomas George, killed in action, 21 years of age, was the second son of Mr. F W Wood of Pukekohe, a member of the Franklin County Council. He received his education at the Patumahoe school and was for some time assisting his father in farming operations at Pukekohe. [AWN 12.10.1916]

WOODFORD, Rifleman Paul, killed in action, France on 15 September, was the younger son of Mr. & Mrs. E Woodford, Opotiki. He enlisted in the First Battalion of the NZ Rifle Brigade and took part in the action against the Senussi on Christmas Day. Prior to enlistment he was engaged in farming at Mere Mere near Hawera. [AWN 02.11.1916]

WOODS, Two sons of Mr. T W Woods, who represents the Pukekohe Riding on the Franklin County Council, have lost their lives on the battlefield - Rifleman Thomas George WOODS, killed in action on 15 September, and Private William H WOODS who was wounded on 25 September and has since died of wounds. Both were assisting their father upon his farm prior to their enlistment. WRIGHT, Private H, who was killed in action on September 27, was the fourth son of Mr. J Wright of Ruakaka and was 22 years of age. Prior to enlistment he was engaged with his father in farming. He was an enthusiastic hockey player. [AWN 02.11.1916]

WOOLATT, Corporal Archibald, who fell on Christmas Day in the first fight of the NZ Rifle Brigade at Mutrah, was popular among a large circle of acquaintances in Auckland. He was employed at Messrs Smith & Caughey's. Going into training with the 1st Battalion of the Earl of Liverpool's Own, he was early-promoted corporal and he gave every promise of making an unusually efficient soldier. He was a native of Otago but he received his education in England. After leaving school he went to Burma where he resided for about six years. Then he entered business in Colombo but finally returned to his native land. After living in Feilding for a few years he came to this city. He was well known in athletic circles and was especially fond of walking. He was also a billiard player and was often seen in the recreation departments of the YMCA. [AWN 27.01.1916]

WRIGHT. There are a number of NZ Army nurses on board the hospital ships Egypt, including Misses F SIDDELLS, Wanganui; E M MARTIN, V P BAYLY and K E WRIGHT, of Auckland, and A BUCKLEY, of Waimate. [AWN 01.06.1916]

WYATT, Private Alex. J, killed in action, was the only son of Mr. & Mrs. J A Wyatt of Howick. He was born at Fareham in Hampshire and was 21 years of age. He was educated at the Howick, Pakuranga and Auckland Grammar schools. Prior to enlistment he was employed by Mr. J C Spedding of Auckland. [AWN 02.11.1916]

WYMAN, Major Ralph, D.S.O. who is reported wounded and dangerously ill, is the second son of Mr. W H Wyman of Avondale South. He left NZ with the main body of the Expeditionary Force with the rank of Captain. He was wounded at Gallipoli in the left arm and was admitted to the Ghezireh Hospital, Cairo. For his services on the peninsula he was promoted to the rank of major and was awarded the DSO. Major Wyman was at one time employed on the Auckland staff of the NZ Loan & Mercantile Co and resigned to join the Eighth Contingent that took part in the South African war. He took part in the operations in Transvaal and Cape Colony. He was awarded the Queen's medal with two clasps. After his return from South Africa he was engaged in farming at Razorback, Pokeno and later removed to Otorohanga, leaving his property there to join the Expeditionary Force. Major Wyman has always taken a keen interest in military affairs and under the volunteer regime was captain of the Pukekohe Mounted Rifles. His work during the visit to NZ of the late Earl Kitchener was given special commendation. Major Wyman has unusual qualifications and holds a certificate of proficiency in gun laying. [AWN 06.07.1916]

YOUART, Private Henry, reported wounded, is the second son of Mr. & Mrs. Youart of Incholm, North Otago, where he was born and educated. He is 24 years of age and up to the time of his enlistment had followed farming pursuits in different parts of the Dominion. He enlisted in Auckland a few months after the war broke out and left with the sixth reinforcements. He served in Gallipoli for a few months before the evacuation and after that, while in Egypt, he met his younger brother Gunner Bert Youart, who was only 19 years of age and who was with the ninth reinforcements. The brothers had not met for some years and as the younger was then only a boy, his brother hardly recognised the young solider in khaki. [AWN 10.08.1916]

YOUNG, Sergeant Robert Alfred, who has been reported wounded, is a son of Mr. R H Young, of Hamilton East, a retired officer in the Public Works Dept. Sergeant Young, who is well known to many as the popular Alpine guide at Mt Cook, enlisted in the Canterbury Mounted Rifles and left NZ with the main Expeditionary Force. He went through the Gallipoli campaign in which he occupied a post of honour as sniper and guide for the Imperial troops between Anzac and Suvla Bay. His brother was killed in action at Anzac. [AWN 24.08.1916]