Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

ADDINGTON, Captain A S, is about 26 years of age and a native of Victoria, having obtained his medical degree at the Melbourne University. For about two years prior to enlisting he was on the staff of the Auckland Hospital in the capacity of junior resident medical officer. [AWN 12.07.1917]

AIREY, Lieutenant F A, who died from wounds in France on September 30, was the sixth son of Mrs. Airey of Morningside and of the late Mr. W H Airey, inspector of schools. He was educated at the Auckland Grammar School and the Auckland University College from where he graduated M.A. with first class honours in English and French. He was a master at the Auckland Grammar School until his appointment to a commission in the 22nd Reinforcements. He was well known in cricket circles and for many years was a prominent member of the University senior team. He was selected as the Auckland candidate for the NZ Rhodes scholarship two years ago when the award was made in favour of the late Lieutenant Athol HUDSON. He was 26 years of age. [AWN 11.10.1917]

ALAN, Lance Corporal Godfrey, killed in action, was the youngest son of Mrs. E Inwood of Westport. He was just 22 at the time of his death and sailed with the 12th Reinforcements. The young soldier was a member of the Westport railway workshops staff at the time of his enlistment. One brother, Philip, has just been invalided home and the last remaining single son goes into camp shortly. [AWN 22.11.1917]

ALEXANDER, Lieutenant G D, Divisional Signal Co., NZE, deceased – awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. Prior to securing his commission he gained the award for conspicuous good work and devotion to duty during the campaign. In handing the medal to Mr. E B Alexander of Epsom, father of the deceased soldier, Sir James Allen said he trusted the decoration would be treasured as a splendid memorial of a great and glorious life and a gallant death. Mr. Alexander, he added, had two other sons at the front. [AWN 08.03.1917] *See 'Valour Rewarded'

ALISON, Private Charles F, reported missing is the eldest son of Mr. T Alison, builder, Devonport. He is 24 years of age and prior to enlisting nearly two years ago was employed by Macky Logan Caldwell & Co. Ltd. He is a nephew of Messrs E W & Alex. Alison. [AWN 26.07.1917]

ALLAN, Colonel S S, officer commanding the First Auckland Battalion, was severely wounded on 3 October and admitted to Hospital. He left NZ as a Major in the 6th Reinforcements, first at Gallipoli and then in France. He took over the command previously held by Colonel PLUGGE. Prior to enlistment he was a solicitor in Morrinsville. Colonel R C ALLAN is a brother who was severely wounded several months ago and was in charge of the Second Auckland Battalion. [AWN 18.10.1917]

ALLCOCK William David. N.Z.E.F. Private 12957 2nd Battalion Auckland Regt, son of James and Agnes ALLCOCK of Upokongaro, Wanganui died as a prisoner of war in Lillie, Northern France, on the 21st February 1917 and is buried in the Lillie Southern Cemetery along with nine other NZ soldiers. It is also noted that a Private John Robert ALMOND also of the same Regt, and died on the same day is buried along side William.Williams plot # is III.B.36. His name also appears on the Soldiers Memorial in Queen's Park Gardens in Wanganui on the seaward side of the column. (Personal Family Note)

ALLEN, Lieutenant Colonel R C, awarded the Distinguished Service Order, was formerly of Annandale, Piako. He succeeded Lieutenant Colonel PLUGGE in command of a reinforcement draft in September 1915 with the rank of major. He is a brother of Lieutenant Colonel S S ALLEN who is also in command of a battalion. Lieutenant Colonel Allen was wounded in the Messines battle. [AWN 12.07.1917]

ALLEN, R C, Lieutenant Colonel, who’s NOK, is his wife, Mrs. Ida Allen of Piako, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Order. At a critical moment, at great personal risk, he rallied a number of men of another unit who were withdrawing under a barrage and prevented further retirement. Although severely wounded he continued to give instructions for the continuance of the fight. [AWN 23.08.1917]

ALLEN, Lieutenant John Candlish, who is reported to have been killed in action, was the second son of the late Mr. W Shepherd Allen of Annandale, Piako. He was born in England but came to NZ with his parents when about 13 years of age. Lieutenant Allen, who resided at Remuera, was engaged in farming at Annandale when he enlisted. He took a prominent part in all matters relating to progress in agriculture and was one of those concerned in the establishment of the Auckland Farmers' Freezing Co, he having been one of the original directors of that company, as well as being associated with the erection of the first freezing works at Whangarei. He was a prominent member of the Farmers' Union, a director of the Tauranga Sawmilling Co, and a member of the Bay of Plenty Licensing Committee. Some years ago he contested the Parnell seat in the House of Representatives. He took a keen interest in rifle shooting, was a good shot and for some time was president of the Morrinsville Rifle Club. He also held a commission as captain in the Motor Service Corps. Lieutenant Allen, who was 45 years of age, left on active service last year. After reaching England he was in charge of some agricultural operations under the direction of the military authorities. On going to France he acted for a time as quartermaster to two battalions before proceeding to the firing-line. He leaves a widow, two sons and a daughter. Two of his brothers are on active service and both have recently been wounded. One is Lieutenant R C ALLEN, DSO and the other is Colonel-Colonel S S ALLEN. [AWN 01.11.1917]

ALMOND John Robert - see ALLCOCK

ANCELL, Lieutenant Eric G, killed in action, was educated at Auckland Grammar School and took a prominent part in the Grammar School Old Boys Football Club. Previous to enlistment he was on the staff of the Native Department in Auckland. His mother lives in Wellington. [AWN 15.03.1917]

ANDREW, Private Clifford, killed in action on 27 June, was the elder son of Mr. John Andrew, 25 Ponsonby Rd and was 21 years of age. He was educated at the Hamilton West and Ponsonby schools. After leaving school he was apprenticed to the cabinetmaking and served four years in his trade. [AWN 19.07.1917]

ANDREW. The King held an investiture at Buckingham Palace which was attended by 200 officers, men and nurses, including Sergeant ANDREW, a New Zealander, who was awarded the Victoria Cross for daring initiative in an attack on a German position in July. Sgt Leslie Wilton ANDREW is a son of Mr. W J Andrew, headmaster of Wanganui East School. He was 22 years of age at the time of his enlistment in 1915. [AWN 08.11.1917]

ANDREW - The latest New Zealander to win the Victoria Cross, Corporal Leslie ANDREW, reached his 20th year last March. He was born at Ashhurst and when his father was promoted to headmaster of the Wanganui East School, the family became identified with that town. After serving in the office of C E Mackay of Wanganui, he entered the railway service and his keenness for volunteering almost immediately earned him his sergeant stripes in No.7 Co. of Railway Engineers. He entered the local Manager's office in December 1914. The following year he obtained leave to enlist and he left as a Corporal in the 10th Reinforcements. Before leaving he qualified for a commission but was not successful in obtaining one. He is described as a particularly bright young man with a natural aptitude for soldiering and very keen on whatever he had on hand. The fact that he was only 18 years of age when he enlisted and qualified by examination for a commission, indicates the capacity of the latest New Zealander to win the highest order for bravery. [AWN 13.09.1917]

ANDREW, Corporal L, is a son of Mr. W J Andrew, headmaster of Wanganui East School, states a Press Assn telegram. He was 22 years of age at the time of his enlistment in 1915. He is the 9th New Zealander to win the Victoria Cross. The first in order is Captain W J HARDHAM who won it in South Africa in 1901 and afterwards served with distinction at Gallipoli where he was severely wounded. The second is Sergeant C R G BASSETT of Auckland who gallantly repaired telephone lines at Chunuk Bair in broad daylight under heavy fire on 8 August 1915. The third recipient of the honour was the late Sergeant Donald Forrester BROWN of Oamaru, for conspicuous gallantry in the Somme battle. The fourth was Lieutenant Commander SANDERS of Auckland (since deceased) who won the award for naval service. The last V.C. announced is Lance Corporal Samuel FRICKLETON, a West Coast miner, who won it during his second period of service with the Expeditionary force for attacking machine-guns. The! Cross has also been won by Brigadier General B C FREYBERG, Wellington, serving with the Imperial forces and the late Captain A J SHOUT, Wellington, and the late Private Thomas COOKE, Wellington, serving with the Australians. [AWN 13.09.1917]

ANDREWS, Private T, killed in action on 13 June, was born at Fingal, Tasmania. At the time of his enlistment he was employed in Hamilton by Messrs Hayter and Gunn. His only relative in NZ is Mr. R A Andrews of Hamilton. [AWN 26.07.1917]

ANGEL, Sergeant, who belongs to the Pioneer Battn, performed gallant service in Gallipoli, for which he was awarded the Military Medal and has since been fighting in France. He is returning to NZ for a commission. [AWN 12.04.1917]

ASHTON, Captain Sidney, Auckland Mounted Rifles, who has been killed in action at Beersheba, was a farmer near Tauranga before going to the front. He was in the second fight at Gaza and latterly was second in command of the fourth squadron of the Auckland Mounted Rifles. He was about 46 years of age. [AWN 15.11.1917]

ATKINSON, Private J, killed in action in France, was the second son of Mr. James Atkinson of Waihi. Prior to enlisting last year deceased followed the occupation of miner and was in the employ of the Waihi Gold Mining Co. [AWN 12.07.1917]

AUCKRAM, Signaller T W B - Cable advice has been received that Sig. Auckram, who enlisted from Otahuhu, was admitted to the Walton on Thames Hospital on 13 February suffering from the effects of gas fumes but that his condition is not serious. [AWN 01.03.1917]

BAILEY, Lieutenant Allan R of Auckland, RFA, has been killed in action. He was visiting England when war broke out. He served in Egypt for a year with the RFA and then obtained a commission. [AWN 30.08.1917]

BAILEY, Sergeant H J, was killed in action in France on 28 February, left NZ in April of last year. He volunteered and was trained in the Waikato Mounted Regiment. He was the fourth and youngest son of Mr. J Bailey of Dominion Road and grandson of the late Mr. John Bollard, MP, was educated at the Taupiri school and the Auckland Grammar School and afterwards went into farming pursuits. Sgt Bailey, who was 23 years of age, was a good horseman and a keen footballer, playing with the Lower Waikato representatives. [AWN 29.03.1917]

BANKS, Sergeant J, son of Mrs. Joseph Banks, Gwynnelands, has successfully undergone an operation by which an ear drum was removed, the result of shock received in the Somme battle. He is now on the staff of a British military hospital. [AWN 29.03.1917]

BAKER, Lance Corporal, who is reported to have been accidentally wounded in the thigh in France, went to the front from Auckland with the main body. He was twice wounded at Gallipoli and also was attacked there by frost bite. After recovering, he went to France. He was employed in the NZ Herald office for some time and is a son of the late Rev F T Baker of Waitara. [AWN 11.10.1917]

BARKER, Private Wilfred W, son of Mrs. C Barker, Croydon Rd, Mt Eden, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry on the field. He was born at Te Awamutu and worked for Dexter & Crozier. He left with the 9th Reinforcements, ASC. It was while driving the wounded from the front line under gas and shell fire that he won the distinction. Oswald BARKER is serving with the Mounted Forces in Egypt. [AWN 01.11.1917]

BATES, Private E J, who has died of wounds, was prior to the war employed in the Chief Post Office, Auckland. He enlisted with the Main Body and served at the Suez Canal, afterwards taking part in the landing on Gallipoli where he served without wounds or sickness till the evacuation. Afterwards he went to France with the NZ Division where he took part in every engagement fought by his division till the time of his death. He was born in Auckland in 1895 and was the third son of Mrs. E Bates, Lichfield St, Newton. [AWN 25.10.1917

BEATTIE, Private Robert Avon, killed in action, was the eldest son of Mr.. Robert Beattie of Waimamaku, Hokianga and formerly of Bulls, Rangitikei. He spent six years with Mr.. C L Daniels, architect, of Feilding, leaving to go farming at Hokianga. He left NZ on 1 May 1916 and was reported missing on September 14. News has now been received that he was killed in action on the Somme. [AWN 03.05.1917

BEATTIE, Sergeant J N, who was recently awarded the Meritorious Service medal, is the eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. George Beattie, 24 Bond St, Sydney, late of Bellevue Rd, Mt Eden, and an old boy of Auckland Grammar School. Before the war he was on the staff of the Auckland Branch of the Bank of NSW. He went with the Advance Guard to Samoa and on his return he joined the Rifle Brigade. He subsequently saw service in Egypt, taking part in operations against the Senussi. Owing to injuries received during the Somme fight he has recently been an inmate of the NZ hospital at Walton on Thames. A younger brother is presently serving in France. [AWN 25.01.1917]

BEAUMONT, Rifleman C, killed in action in France on 23 December 1916, aged 22, was the son of William Beaumont, farmer, Whangarei. He previously served two years in the 11th, Mounted Rifles. He was a keen tennis player and recognised as a good rifle shot. [AWN 01.02.1917]

BEDGGOOD, Lance Corporal W W C - The Military Medal gained by the late soldier for conspicuous bravery on the field, was handed to his father, Mr. E A Bedggood of Kaihu. Sir James Allen said Lance Corporal Bedggood had left his mortal remains on the battlefield and he trusted that the medal would be some consolation for the life he had given for his King and country. [AWN 08.03.1917] *See 'Valour Rewarded'

BELL, Sub Lieutenant St Lawrence, eldest son of Mr. C W Bell, Rangiora, has been killed in action in the recent naval engagement. He was 23 years of age and was educated at the Rangiora High School. He left NZ as a private with an early reinforcement. News of his transfer to the Royal Navy with promotion to the rank of sub-lieutenant was received early in the month. Before leaving he was apprenticed to the Union Steam Ship Co. and received a course of training on the company's training ship and became third officer on the steamer Waipori. He was invalided from Gallipoli to London, suffering from dysentery. Subsequently he returned to Egypt and afterwards to France. While on furlough from France he sat for his mate's certificate. Being successful, he offered his services to the Admiralty and obtained his commission in the Navy. [AWN 01.02.1917]

BELL, W Neven, Bombardier, killed in action on 31 July, was the eldest son of Mr. H Alan Bell of Cambridge and grandson of Mrs. Richard McGee of Otahuhu. He was born at Remuera and was educated at the Cambridge High School. After leaving school he was articled to Mr. SIMS, borough engineer, Hamilton. He went into camp with one of the earlier reinforcements as a motor ambulance driver but was transferred to the Artillery and at the time of his death was acting as range finder. He was 19 years of age. [AWN 30.08.1917]

BELL, Captain William H D, aged 35, eldest surviving son of Sir Francis Bell, Leader of the Legislative Council, has been killed in action in France. He was born at Wellington and educated at Wellington College and Cambridge University and became a Barrister at the Inner Temple. He was a partner in the legal firm of Bell Gully Bell & Myers and a Reform Party member for Wellington Suburbs. He volunteered on the day war was declared and proceeded to Samoa then to England to rejoin the King Edward's Horse. He was at the Front for two years, distinguishing himself on several occasions. [AWN 16.08.1917]

BENNETT, Lieutenant E B (Dick), reported to be killed in action, was born in Auckland 22 years ago but latterly resided at Palmerston North. He was well known throughout the North Island in cricketing circles, having for some years played with the Manawatu representative team. He was employed in the office of Cooper & Rutherford, solicitors, Palmerston. Entering camp as a volunteer in the 14th Reinforcements as a non-commissioned officer, he was later posted to the 17th's, and at the examination for commissions passed at the top of the list, being later drafted to the 22nd Reinforcements with which he left NZ. His two brothers also hold commissioned rank, Captain J H BENNETT, having returned from France yesterday after being wounded on three occasions, while Lieutenant Ray BENNETT, who won his commission in France, has served right through with the Rifle Brigade. They are sons of Mr. & Mrs. A E Bennett of Palmerston North. [AWN 01.11.1917]

BERRY. Four son of Mr. T C Berry of Ohingaiti have left for the Front. The first, W C BERRY, went in the 5th reinforcements. He was wounded at Gallipoli, a bullet passing through his arm. After his recovery he went back to Gallipoli and was there for some weeks. He left Gallipoli at the evacuation and was in Egypt for some time where he met two of his brothers, Bert BERRY, who went in the 7th reinforcements and Maurice BERRY (signaller) who went with the 9th reinforcements. These three have been in France since the troops were sent from Egypt and they were in the 22-days fight in the Somme battle. Bert was three times buried by shells and once had to be dug out. He suffered from concussion and had other very narrow escapes but came through safely. Maurice was slightly gassed in the same battle but Wallace came through without a scratch. Wilfred BERRY, the fourth son, left with the 19th Reinforcements. [AWN 04.01.1917]

BIDDICK, Private J H, s/o J A Biddick, Orakei, has been awarded the MM for gallantry on the field of action. Went to Egypt with the 7th Reinforcements and thence to France and is attached to the MG Corps. Aged 21, prior to enlisting was employed on one of his father's scows engaged in the Auckland coastal trade. [AWN 20.09.1917]

BIDWELL, Captain C N, son of Mrs. Bidwell of Bell Rd, Remuera, lost his life at the sinking of a transport in the English Channel last July. He was Chief Officer of the vessel at the time. His boat, with 11 other men in it, got clear of the ship but was never seen afterwards. The occupants of the other boats were all picked up. [AWN 27.09.1917]

BIGGS, W A, Private, is the eldest son of Mrs. Biggs, Te Aroha, and enlisted in the 15th Reinforcements at the age of 18. Educated at the Te Aroha High School, he was in the service of the Railway Dept. [AWN 02.08.1917]

BISCHOFF, Private Victor, second son of Thomas Bischoff, Mangakuru, Kaipara, late of Hawera, died of pneumonia in England. Two of his sons, George and Victor, were previously farming with him. [AWN 29.03.1917]

BISHOP, Captain John - Mrs. Bishop of Francis St, Grey Lynn, has received the following cablegram from Captain MAGNAY at Sling camp, England, of the NZ Rifle Brigade, in reference to her husband Captain John Bishop: "Hospital reports husband's condition fairly good, outlook hopeful". This is the only intimation that her husband is in hospital that Mrs. Bishop has received. The Defence Dept states that it has had no official intimation that Captain Bishop is sick or wounded. Before going to the front he was a staff officer attached to the headquarters of the Wellington military district at Palmerston North. [AWN 18.01.1917]

BISHOP, Lieutenant Alfred W, Hampshire Regt, son of Mr.. H W Bishop, SM, of Christchurch, has been killed in France. He was 34 years of age and was a well-known barrister and solicitor in Christchurch. He went to England in May 1916 and joined an officers' training corps, obtaining his commission in December last. [AWN 31.05.1917]

BISHOP, Lieutenant J J, who has been killed in action, was the eldest of the three sons of Mr. J J Bishop of Dunvegan, Titirangi, all of whom went on active service. Lieutenant Bishop, who was a teacher in the employ of the Auckland Education Board, was educated at the Titirangi and Avondale schools and went through a two year course at the Auckland Training College. He was in charge of the Kaitaia school prior to his enlistment. He left as a sergeant in the Rifle Brigade in the 13th Reinforcements in 1916. He went to France from England as a private and obtained some of his first experiences of the firing line as a member of a Lewis machine-gun section. He subsequently was promoted on the field and on obtaining his commission was attached to the Otago Infantry Battalion. He was 24 years of age. [AWN 25.10.1917]

BLAIKIE, Private Alfred James, a returned soldier, died at a NZ military hospital on Saturday last. He was a member of the 16th Reinforcements and the second son of Mr. R Blaikie, 42 Vincent Street. [AWN 27.09.1917]

BLAIR, Colonel D B, who has been awarded the Distinguished Service Order and previously the Military Cross, was educated at the Wanganui Collegiate School. He served in the South African war and afterwards was for many years in America. On the inception of the territorial scheme in NZ he joined the NZ Staff Corps and was adjutant to the 1st Canterbury Mounted Rifles until the outbreak of the present war when he left with the Main Body as adjutant to the Canterbury Mounted Regt. He subsequently transferred to the Infantry. [AWN 15.11.1917]

BLAKE, Harold D, Private, killed in action in France on 12 October, was the fifth son of Mrs. Blake of Church Road, Epsom. He left with the 14th Reinforcements and was transferred to the machine-gun section on arrival in England. He was educated at the Epsom school and up to the time of his enlistment was employed in the maintenance branch of the Railway Dept. [AWN 08.11.1917]

BLUCHER, Sergeant A N, who was wounded severely in the face and hands on 21 February, is one of six brothers on active service - the sons of Mr. E Blucher, Beresford St, Auckland. Sergeant Blucher enlisted with the Auckland Mounted Infantry and left NZ in December 1914. After arriving in Egypt he transferred to the Machine-gun Section and fought through the Gallipoli campaign until September 1915 when he was invalided to England. On recovery he left for Egypt and in May last received his sergeant stripes. One of his brothers was wounded in the advance on the Somme and is now in England making good progress. [AWN 29.03.1917]

BOLES, 2nd Lieutenant G H, of Thames, who gained the DCM, left the Dominion as a private. He saw service in Egypt against the Senussi and later proceeded to France with the Rifle Brigade. The action for which Lieutenant Boles, then sergeant-major, received his decoration, took place in France. With the assistance of only 30 men he succeeded in holding an isolated position for a considerable time, eventually rejoining the main body without the loss of a single man. [AWN 01.11.1917]

BOLES, Sergeant (acting CSM) G H, NZRB has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry in action. He reorganized his men and led them forward under heavy fire. Later he dug in and maintained his position until relieved thirty-six hours later. He set a splendid example of courage and coolness throughout. [AWN 03.05.1917]

BOLES, Sergeant Major, born 1888, fourth son of John Boles of Tararu, was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He was a miner at Thames and in business with his brother as grocers at Te Kuiti. He joined the Rifle Brigade in the early days and left NZ as a Sergeant. Shortly after arriving in France he was appointed bomb instructor. He was promoted to Sergeant Major in November last and recommended for a commission. His brother Joseph enlisted later and left NZ as a Sergeant Major and is now serving in France in the Rifle Brigade. [AWN 22.02.1917]

BOLGER, Lance Corporal John Joseph, killed in action, was the eldest son of Mrs. A Bolger, Vauxhall Road, Devonport. He was born at Manaia, Taranaki and prior to enlisting was on the staff of the Union Bank of Australia, Auckland. He left with the 22nd Reinforcements and was killed the day after his 19th birthday. [AWN 25.10.1917]

BOLLARD, Private John Henry Allen, previously reported missing, has been killed in action in France on 25 September 1916. He volunteered for active service in May 1915 when he joined the Canterbury Battalion. After serving on Gallipoli he was invalided to England from where he later rejoined his regiment and died in the battle of the Somme. He was the elder son of William Allen Bollard of Dunedin and grandson of the late Mr. John Bollard, MP and the late Henry SANKEY. He was brought up by his aunt, Miss Bollard, and was educated at the Avondale Public School and King's College. Before the war he followed farming pursuits. [AWN 04.01.1917]

BOND, Captain Victor R, youngest son of Mr. S Bond, Lower Symonds Street, was wounded on 19 October. He was also wounded in the Somme battle and returned to NZ in January last. Two months later he went back to England as adjutant on a troopship. His last wound was received while serving with the Wellington Infantry. [AWN 01.11.1917]

BOOTH, Corporal C F of the 3rd, NZ, Rifle Brigade, 16th Reinforcements, who died of wounds in France on 10 September 1917, was the third and youngest son of the late J C Booth of Kent Farm, Port Albert. He was educated at Port Albert and was widely known in the Kaipara district as an athlete. For a number of years he was engaged in managing Kent Farm with his brother, W S Booth. In April 1916 he enlisted. He was popular for his genial disposition and generous nature. He was 29 years of age. His eldest brother, Private J C BOOTH, and brother in law, Private E RODERICK, are now fighting in the Expeditionary Force. [AWN 04.10.1917]

BOWE, Gunner Cornelius F, who was killed in action on 5 March, is a son of Mr.. T Bowe of Foxton and is well known in the Waikato district. He left NZ in June 1915 and fought through the Gallipoli campaign up to the time of the evacuation. Since then his battery has taken part in operations in France. Gunner Bowe was prominent in hockey, football and cricket. [AWN 24.05.1917]

BOWELL, Private Frederick T A, who died at sea when returning to NZ by hospital ship, was the eldest son of A H Bowell of Brighton Rd, Parnell. He was educated at Remuera public school, by private tuition, and Auckland University College, then apprenticed to the business of a chemist. He left NZ with a reinforcement draft in October 1915 in the capacity of dispenser with the rank of private, serving in Egypt and France, part of the time on the HQ staff and the rest with No.1 Field Ambulance. He was admitted to hospital in England with typhoid fever and was being sent home as an invalid when his death occurred. [AWN 08.03.1917]

BOWRON, Lieutenant Henry Allan, killed in action, aged 26, was the second son of Mr. George Bowron of Bowron Bros. Tanneries, Christchurch. He farmed at Waimate and Whangarei, from where he enlisted as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Mounted Rifles. He was very fond of hunting. A younger brother Lieutenant S Bowron was recently invalided home from the Front with the loss of an eye and another brother Sgt Major C Bowron, is at present in France. [AWN 04.01.1917]

BOYD, Captain James Robert, M.D., RAMC - The Military Cross-was presented to Mrs. J Boyd on behalf of Captain J R Boyd, who is again on active service. It was awarded for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when rescuing, under heavy fire, some men who had been buried in their dugout. Capt Boyd assisted in the digging out of the men although temporarily disabled by earth thrown up by a bursting shell and finally brought in one man alive. [AWN 23.08.1917]

BOYNE, Sergeant H W, son of W Boyne at Hamilton St, Grey Lynn, was reported as missing last November and believed to be killed. A private cable now shows that his death is now unfortunately a certainty. Mr. Boyne has three sons, all of whom have taken part in the present war. The eldest is employed in making aeroplanes for the British Government in Loughborough and another brother is fighting with the NZ Field Artillery. Sergeant Boyne, who was a sign writer by occupation, left NZ with the original Samoan expedition in August 1914. On return to NZ he enlisted again and sailed for Egypt with the reinforcement, which sailed in August 1915, receiving his three stripes and his marksman badge before the force left Trentham. Later on he was recommended for a commission. He was a keen Association footballer, playing for the Everton Club. [AWN 29.03.1917]

BRAIN, Flight Lieutenant L Norman, son of Mr. T H Brain of Onehunga, has died from wounds on 23 October. He left Onehunga last year and went to England where he enlisted in the air service. For some time he was acting as a motor transport driver and later on he was promoted to observation work. When he was wounded he had charge of a machine gun on an aeroplane, which was in combat with a German machine. Lt Brain was well known in Onehunga and previous to his enlistment was engaged in motor work. [AWN 18.01.1917]

BRAITHWAITE, 2nd Lieutenant J L, Engineers, of Hastings, has been awarded the Military Cross: "Showed great gallantry on several occasions in repairing the lines destroyed by hostile fire. He set a splendid example throughout the operations." [AWN 11.01.1917] BREMNER, Captain D E, Infantry, of Drury, has been awarded the Military Cross for 'leading his company with great courage and skill, although wounded and he re-organised and consolidated the position. He set a splendid example to his men.' [AWN 11.01.1917]

BREMNER, Rifleman Leslie Reid, previously posted missing, now reported killed in action on the Somme on 15 September, was the eldest son of Mr. R J Bremner, Kings View Rd, Mt Eden. He was educated at the Caversham and Otago Boys High Schools, Dunedin, later at the High School, Palmerston North and finished his education at the Auckland Boys Grammar School. He matriculated while attending the latter school and was attending University classes at the time of his enlistment in the Rifle Brigade. His father is well known in commercial circles, through his long connection with Wright, Stephenson & Co Ltd in Dunedin and Palmerston North and until recently as manager of their local office. [AWN 29.03.1917]

BREWER, Lieutenant Thomas, died of wounds on 3 October, is the youngest son of Thomas Brewer, late chief engineer, Northern Steamship Co. Prior to enlistment in October 1915 he was employed in the Head Office of the Auckland Gas Co. He was a member of the Everton Football Club and had Second Lieutenant experience in the Camel Defence Infantry. His promotion to First Lieutenant was gained on the field. [AWN 18.10.1917]

BRIGHT, Private William George, son of George Bright, Stanley Street, Archhill, was mentioned in despatches in reference to the operations on the Somme and has since been awarded the Military Medal. [AWN 01.02.1917]

BRINDEY, Norman, son of J W Brindey of Belle Vue Rd, Mt Eden, has been gazetted a Lieutenant, Royal Engineers. He left as a sapper in the NZ Divisional Signalling Co. with the main body. He was in Egypt, Gallipoli and the Somme and was recommended for a commission after the Somme battle. [AWN 08.03.1917]

BROOKES - A letter received by Mrs. A E Brookes, Mt Albert, from Lieutenant Colonel F B Sykes, DRA, O/C Second Brigade, NZ Field Artillery, gives advice of the circumstances in which her son, Lieutenant E M BROOKES, met his death at the front. A shell burst in the bore or at the muzzle of the gun and set alight the cartridges in the main body. "....The detachment vacated the pit but found that two men had been knocked out and were still in the pit. Your son and four men at once went up to extricate these men and to put out the fire. One man was caught out when the shells in the pit and in other pits near detonated. I very much regret to say that your son, Captain DANIELL and three men were killed instantly. I feel the loss of your son and Captain Daniell very much personally as both were in the second battery with me on leaving NZ. Your son was with me at Plugge's Plateau for 13 weeks in much discomfort and a good deal of danger. He was always cheery and never a day sick or away from duty during the whole time. As an officer he was showing great keenness and capability and was doing very well. It may be some small consolation to you to know that he died gallantly, taking great risk without the slightest hesitation." [AWN 08.03.1917]

BROWN, Major Felix Ballard, killed in action, was the only son of Mr. E C Brown, formerly Manager for many years of the Christchurch Branch of D.I.C. He was born and educated in Christchurch and was formerly on the Christchurch staff of the NZ Insurance Co. He was an enthusiastic territorial and held a commission in the 1st Canterbury Regt. He left NZ as an officer with the main body and saw service in Egypt and Gallipoli, being invalided from there just before the evacuation. While on the peninsular he was promoted to the rank of Captain. He returned to Christchurch, was promoted to the rank of Major, and left again for the front in charge of a replacement draft about nine months ago. [AWN 22.03.1917]

BROWN, Corporal A W who has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, is the fourth son of Mr. D Brown of Wanganui, who has four sons on active service. He enlisted at Greymouth and went away with the main body to Gallipoli where he was wounded. He rejoined his unit and went to France. Before enlistment he was on the Post Office staff at Wanganui and was well known in football and cricket circles. [AWN 11.01.1917]

BROWN, Private Arthur N, killed in action on 4 October, was the second son of Mr. Francis H Brown, Takapuna. He attended the Auckland Grammar School and, for a time, the Whangarei High School. For two years prior to his enlistment he was with Messrs E Morrison and Sons, orchadists, of Warkworth. He joined the 17th Reinforcements and took part in the Messines battle. His elder brother, G M Brown, was killed in action on the 'Daisy Patch', Gallipoli, on 8 May, 1915. [AWN 25.10.1917

BROWN, Corporal A W, NZMGC has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry in action. He established and maintained communications and frequently repaired wires under very heavy fire. [AWN 03.05.1917]

BROWN, Sergeant C, NZ Divisional Train, NZASC, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous devotion to duty. He has performed consistent good work throughout and has carried out his duties in a most able manner. [AWN 03.05.1917]

BROWNE, Private Tono, Kawiti, has been awarded the Military Medal for distinguished service on the western front. He is a descendant of a famous line of Maori warriors, the great grandson on both sides of Kawiti of Ruapekapeka Pa fame. The name Browne was added when Colonel Gore Browne was Governor of NZ. He has been on active service for a year having joined the Expedition Force early in 1916. His home is at Waiomio, near Kawakawa and the Ruapekapeka Pa overlooks the Maori settlement there. [AWN 01.11.1917]

BROWNE, Private Frederick, of the Australian Force, who was killed in action, was well known in the Auckland district. He was a nephew of the late Hon. James McGOWAN and was born at Wells, Somerset, England. On coming to NZ about 17 years ago he took up farm work at Matamata. Subsequently and until the commencement of the war, he followed the occupation of a bush-felling contractor. Being disappointed in not getting away with the NZ Main Body, he went to Australia and joined the force there. He was 28 (sic) years of age. His next of kin is Mr. E G Browne, farmer, of Hinuera, who served in the South African War. [AWN 11.10.1917]

BUDDLE, Lieutenant H D, youngest son of Mr. Thomas Buddle and a member of the legal firm Buddle Richmond & Buddle, has been slightly wounded in the skull. He left Auckland with the 22nd Reinforcements. [AWN 18.10.1917]

BUDGE, Lance Corporal John, killed in action in Palestine, was the second son of Mr. John Budge of Kiokio and was 28 years of age. He was born and educated at Takapuna. He went to the Waikato with his parents and was afterwards farming on his own account at Maungatautari near Cambridge. He left NZ with the 16th Reinforcements as a mounted man and in Egypt joined the Camel Corps. He was promoted to Lance Corporal on the field. [AWN 29.11.1917]

BUDGE, Private G S, is the third son of Mr. & Mrs. John Budge of Mt Pleasant Farm, Kiokio. He is 28 years old and was born at Takapuna and educated at the state school there. He was farming at Maihihi, King Country, when he enlisted in 1915. He had been 12 months in the trenches when he was wounded. His brother John is with the forces in Palestine. [AWN 06.09.1917]

BULLEN, Private Robert H, who has been awarded the Military Medal, is the eldest son of Mr. J Bullen, Mt Eden Road. He left with the 8th Reinforcements and participated in the battles of the Somme, Messines and Ypres. [AWN 20.12.1917]

BULLOCK WEBSTER, Lieutenant Frank, Royal Flying Corps, son of Mr. H Bullock Webster of Auckland, has died while on active service in France. He was an old King's College boy and very well known in hunting circles in the Waikato. He led a very adventurous life. Several years ago he left NZ to enter the service of the Hudson Bay Co. of Canada. He travelled extensively through that Dominion and Alaska and was known as a courageous game hunter. Immediately prior to the commencement of war he was ranching in Alberta. He joined the Canadian Forces as an officer in the Machine-gun Corps and became an expert in machine-gunnery. He fought in France with the Canadian Force up to the battle of the Somme and was then transferred to the Royal Flying Corps as instructor in aerial gunnery. He was engaged in that capacity for three months in England, subsequently leaving for France. The deceased soldier has two brothers on active service - Private R BULLOCK WEBSTER, of the Rifle Brigade, and Lieutenant A BULLOCK WEBSTER. The latter left NZ as a private in the Main Body. He was wounded on Gallipoli and after recovering went to England and obtained a commission in the Royal Horse Artillery. He was subsequently transferred to the Indian Cavalry. [AWN 04.10.1917]

BUNTING, Private Stanley, killed in action, was the son of Mrs. Bunting of Masterton. He enlisted at the beginning of last year with the AIF after a short farewell visit to NZ and had taken part in the various engagements in which the Australian troops had been throughout the year, including Lagnicourt, Bullecourt, and the recent heavy fighting of September. A surveyor by profession, the late soldier had lived in the East for some years before going to Australia and many friends, both in NZ and elsewhere, will greatly regret to hear of his death. [AWN 29.11.1917]

BURGESS, Lieutenant Colonel W L H, DSO, serving in France, son of Rev G Burgess of Papakura, has been further honoured by receiving the Cross of the Legion of Honour. He was formerly well known in Auckland as Officer Commanding of No.4 area and received the DSO for his work with the Australian Artillery during the Gallipoli campaign and was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. He now commands the First Division of the Australian Artillery and has been mentioned several times in despatches. [AWN 15.03.1917]

BURNETT, Private Percy, killed in action, was born at Ngaruawahia. He was educated at the local school and at Prince Albert College, Auckland. He entered the railway service in April 1903 and remained in the service as clerk until he went into camp last January. He left NZ with the 23rd Reinforcements and was killed in action in France on 4 October. He was 31 years of age. [AWN 25.10.1917

BUTLER, Alexander Edward (Lex), died of wounds, aged 25 years, was educated at Palmerston North High School where he passed his matriculation examination, solicitor's general knowledge and medical preliminary with a view to following the medical profession. He was then compelled to discontinue his studies, owing to defective eyesight and decided to take up farming as a means of livelihood. He enlisted in the main body with both mounted and infantry but was twice turned down on account of his eyesight. He then enlisted in the 2nd Reinforcement as a stretcher-bearer, joined up with the Main Body in Egypt, saw service on the canal, participated in the landing at Gallipoli on 25 April, also the evacuation; since when he had seen continual service on the western front in France. A younger brother, Ernest, is now serving in France. [AWN 01.11.1917]

BUTLER, Private Edward Arthur O, reported missing, is the only son of Mr. & Mrs. Percy Butler, Omahu Rd, Remuera. Aged 29, he was educated at Prince Albert College and prior to enlisting in one of the reinforcements, he was on the staff of the NZ Insurance Co. He was attached to the Signalling Division, Auckland Battalion