Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

CAFFERY, Private Michael J - Reported believed killed in action in France. He was one of four sons of Mrs. Mary Caffrery of Melford St, Ponsonby, who have enlisted for service. He came to Auckland from Mangaia, Cook Islands, in order to volunteer. He was reported missing in September and is now believed to have been killed. Another brother, Private Robert CAFFERY, left with the Main Body, saw the Gallipoli campaign through in safety and later went to France. He was engaged as a bomb thrower in the battle of Armentieres early in July, was reported missing, and later reported to be a prisoner of war at Giessen, Germany. Another brother, Joseph, accompanied Michael and by latest advice, received two months ago, was in the firing line and well. A younger brother, Donald, is now in camp in Australia, only one son, a lad of 16, being left at home. [AWN 18.01.1917]

CAIRNCROSS, Rifleman John, who was killed in action, was a native of Langholm, Dumfriesshire and a cabinet-maker and carpenter by occupation. He had been in NZ since 1904. He went into camp in April last and has been in the firing line since December. [AWN 05.04.1917]

CALDWELL, Flight Commander Keith L, M.C., Royal Flying Corps, only son of Mr. D R Caldwell of Auckland. He has been awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when leading offensive patrols. On one occasion he led a patrol of 5 machines against 12 hostile aircraft all of which he drove down out of control. He has personally destroyed five hostile machines and has had over 50 contests in the air in all of which he has displayed splendid skill and fearlessness and set an excellent example to his squadron. He was one of the first pupils to graduate from the NZ Flying School at Kohimarama. He was formerly on the staff of the Auckland branch of the Bank of NZ. [AWN 29.11.1917]

CALLENDER, 2nd Lieutenant Geoffrey Gordon, awarded the silver medal of the Order of the Crown of Italy, is the son of Mr. W Callender, general manager of the Bank of NZ. He is now stationed at No.1 School of Aerial Gunnery, Hythe. He was one of the first pupils of the NZ Flying School, Kohimarama, where he qualified for his commission. The act for which he has gained the Italian honour was probably the following: Flying over the German lines he engaged an enemy aeroplane and brought it down. He was, however, wounded in the cheek and his engine stopping, he had to volplane from a height of 10,000ft. with ten miles to go to reach his own lines. On the way down he was engaged by another German aviator but he accounted for him and succeeded in landing safely in his own lines. [AWN 12.07.1917]

CAMPBELL, Victor Lindsay Arbuthnot, Commander, R.N., who received the DSO decoration in June 1915, has now been awarded a bar for subsequent acts of gallantry. He was a member o the Scott expedition. He has been reinstated on the active list as a commander in recognition of his distinguished services during the war. [AWN 30.08.1917]

CAMPBELL, Signaller Finlay Augustus, who lately died of meningitis in a French hospital, shortly after having been wounded on the Somme, was a son of Mrs. Campbell of Matangi and 24 years of age. He completed his education at the Auckland Grammar School and was afterwards on the staffs of the Auckland Star and Stratford Post. Immediately prior to his enlistment he was managing his mother's farm. [AWN 12.04.1917]

CANHAM, Harold A, Private, died of wounds, was the youngest son of Mr. H S Canham of Symonds Street. He attended Newton East School. He was employed by Messrs A H Nathan and was 26 years of age. [AWN 02.08.1917]

CANHAM, Harold A, Private, who has been reported died of wounds, was the youngest son of Mr. H S Canham, of Symonds St, Auckland. He was an old boy of Newton East School and was widely known in Auckland and among the soldiers who have gone from the Auckland Province. After leaving school he went to Sydney where he made many friends. Returning to Auckland he was employed at Messrs A H Nathan's until he volunteered for military service. He was 26 years of age. [AWN 02.08.1917]

CARMICHAEL, Sergeant James Edward, killed in action, was formerly a member of the Auckland City Fire Brigade. He was residing in Dunedin when he enlisted. [AWN 08.11.1917]

CARMODY, Sergeant James, killed in action, was a son of Mr. J Carmody of Gisborne. He left with the 23rd Reinforcements. He was educated at St Patrick's College, Wellington, and during the last five years was first assistant teacher at the Huntly school. He was a prominent member of the local bowling club. [AWN 01.11.1917]

CARPENTER, Trooper Richard E, third son of J H M Carpenter of Remuera, was awarded the Military Medal for bravery at the Hohenzollern Redoubt, France. He is an old boy of King's College. He was in Canada when war broke out and went to England and joined the British forces. His younger brother, Bernard CARPENTER, left NZ with the Main Body of the Expeditionary Force and has been in France for some time. [AWN 15.02.1917]

CARTER, Corporal Alfred Chilton - The Tsar of Russia has conferred the silver medal of St George, third-class, upon Corporal Carter of the Auckland Mounted Rifles, who left NZ with the main body of the Expeditionary Force in October 1914. He is a son of Mr. F R Carter of Honikiwi near Otorohanga and grandson of the late Captain John C L Carter of Hawkes Bay who served in India as a Captain of the 53rd Regt of Foot and in 1863 was Superintendent of Hawkes Bay Province. Corporal Carter passed through the Gallipoli campaign without a scratch and has had the same good luck in the operations in which he has since taken part. [AWN 15.03.1917]

CARR, Flight Lieutenant J Anthony, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Cross. He was a member of the Samoan Advance Guard, left NZ at the outbreak of war. He went to England in May 1915 and volunteered for service with the air fleet. He is the son of Mrs. R A Carr of Auckland, who is now in England. [AWN 11.10.1917]

CARR, Flight Lieutenant J A, who went to England in May 1915, and volunteered for service with the air fleet, is at present in Auckland on leave. Prior to leaving NZ he saw service at Samoa. In October last he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross. [AWN 27.12.1917]

CARSON, Private William E, reported killed in action in France on 2 July, was the youngest of three sons of Mr. & Mrs. D Carson of Otahuhu on active service. He was educated at the Otahuhu State School and Onehunga High School and later at the Auckland Training College. Prior to enlisting with the 20t Reinforcements he was school teaching in the Waikato district. He was an enthusiastic sport, being well known as a hockey and tennis player. His two brothers are Private C H CARSON and Sapper D CARSON, both of whom left with earlier reinforcements. [AWN 16.08.1917]

CASHMORE, Corporal F R, Rifle Brigade, has been awarded the Military Medal. Born and educated at Birmingham, England, he was employed by Wheeler Bros., Karangahape Road. He was a Signaller in the Territorials. He was seriously wounded some time ago. [AWN 15.11.1917]

CAUSER, Private Walter, third son of Mr. John Causer of Maungaturoto, was killed in action in Flanders on 21 June. He was in his 40th year. He was educated in the Maungaturoto School and has since carried on farming operations in the neighbourhood. [AWN 26.07.1917]

CHALMERS, Quartermaster Sergeant H R N, son of Mr. J L Chalmers, Oaklands Rd, Mt Eden, has been sent to Oxford for four months for further training with a view to taking up a commission which has been assigned to him. Prior to his enlistment in February last year, he was on the staff of the Bank of NZ in Tauranga, Fiji and Auckland. He was senior boy of his year at St John's College and also captain of the college football team. While in camp in NZ he rose from the ranks to be Sergeant and on the field he won promotion to Quartermaster Sergeant besides his present step to commissioned rank. [AWN 22.02.1917]

CHANDLER, Rifleman Frederick J, reported killed in action, was a native of Sydney and was educated at Brighton, England, where he served an apprenticeship to the drapery and millinery business. In his younger days he was fond of sport, travel and adventure and has been many years in the United States, Canada and Australia. He came to NZ in the s.s. Wairarapa in the trip which preceded her wreck at Great Barrier. He served in the South African war as a member of the City Imperial Volunteers. For the last 10 years he had lived in the Glenfield district where he served on the School Committee and took a keen interest in local affairs. He leaves a widow and three children. [AWN 01.02.1917]

CHAPMAN, Private Rowley Harry, killed in action, aged 22 years, was born at Ihumata, Mangere and educated at Remuera and Devonport public schools. From the day war was declared he was garrisoned at Fort Cautley until he left NZ in October 1915. While in France he transferred to the Trench Mortar Artillery. His father is also on active service, having left with the reinforcements which sailed last June. [[AWN 22.03.1917]

CHAPMAN, Private W J, son of Mrs. Chapman, Douglas St, Ponsonby, was killed in action in the battle of Messines. He left as a member of the Rifle Brigade in the 9th Reinforcements and later transferred into the signallers. [AWN 06.09.1917]

CHAYTOR, Brigadier General E W C, C.B., C.M.G., of the NZ Staff Corps, is officer commanding the NZ Mounted Rifles Brigade which is incorporated in the Anzac mounted division which has so greatly distinguished itself in the fighting east of the Suez Canal. General Chaytor is a New Zealander by birth, being the son of Mr. J C Chaytor of Marshlands, Marlborough. He became identified with the Marlborough Mounted Rifles and was appointed captain in 1892. He served in the South African War from 1900 to 1902, being in charge of the 3rd NZ Contingent from May 19 to May 26, 1900, when he was severely wounded and in command of the 2nd Regiment, 8th NZ Contingent, from March 1902. He was mentioned in despatches and was awarded the Queen's Medal with three clasps and the King's Medal with two clasps. Upon his return from the war he filled the position of assistant-adjutant general to the NZ Defence Forces and later went to England, where he passed the staff college course at Camberley. In December 1910 he was appointed officer in command of the Wellington military district, with headquarters at Palmerston North, a position which he held until 16 July 1914, when he was appointed adjutant-general to the NZ Defence Forces. On the outbreak of the present war he was appointed assistant adjutant-general of the NZEF and proceeded with it in that capacity to the front. During the early months on Gallipoli, Col Chaytor was severely wounded. He was invalided to England and after making a good recovery returned to his post, visiting the western front en route in December 1915. He received the command of the NZ Mounted Rifles Brigade, with the rank of brigadier-general. He was again wounded some months ago. General Chaytor has already been created a C.B. for his service during the present war. [AWN 04.01.1917]

CHINNERY-BROWN, Trooper J E, 3rd, Auckland, Mounted Rifles, Main Body, younger son of Mr. Chinnery-Brown of Auckland, was admitted to the Citadel Hospital, Cairo, early in July suffering from eye trouble and septic hands. A cablegram received recently states that he had not yet rejoined his unit. His elder brother, who left with the 19th Reinforcements, machine-gun section, and his brother in law, are both in France. His younger sister is a member of the Voluntary Aid Division at the Rusthall Red Cross Hospital, Tunbridge Wells. [AWN 11.10.1917]

CLARK, Sergeant Edwin M, died of wounds 4 October, is the youngest son of the late George Clark of Whakahera, Northern Wairoa. He was born and educated at Okahe school and Auckland Technical College. Before enlistment he was a member of the Auckland Garrison Artillery. He left NZ as a Sergeant with the 10th Reinforcements. He undertook special training in Egypt and afterwards at Sling and Aldershot where he gained the highest marks for physical culture and bayonet examinations. He spent a short period as an instructor at Sling Camp and then went to France on active service from last June. [AWN 18.10.1917]

CLARK, Lieutenant Humphrey, son of Archibald Clark, Auckland, has been awarded the Military Cross. He went Home 2 years ago to Officer Training Camp, Cambridge, and was attached to the Signalling Co. of the Worcestershire Regt. He was promoted to full Lieutenant rank about six weeks ago. He was a member of Auckland College Rifles. [AWN 01.11.1917]

CLARK, Lieutenant Humphrey, who has been awarded the Military Cross for bravery in the field, is the son of Mr. Archibald Clark of Auckland. On 9 October during an attack, he laid wires behind the advancing lines and maintained them under shell fire. He also assisted in the capture of a party of Germans in a dug-out. He is attached to the Signalling Co. of the Worcestershire Regiment. [AWN 29.11.1917]

CLARKE, Walter John, formerly 9th Reinforcements, NZEF. The death occurred at the Military Annex to the Auckland Public Hospital, on Thursday of Walter John CLARKE. When the transport on which the late soldier left NZ was at Albany, a man fell overboard and the deceased dived in to the rescue. He injured himself internally be so doing, an operation being found necessary upon his arrival in Egypt. In consequence, he was invalided to NZ and had been under medical treatment at intervals ever since. Deceased's son, who was between 16 and 17 years of age, managed to get away with a reinforcement and was wounded and taken prisoner, subsequently dying while a prisoner of war in Germany. Deceased's next of kin is his brother, Mr. W H Clarke of Bond St, Grey Lynn. [AWN 12.07.1917]

CLARKE, Corporal S J CLARKE of Masterton, who was lately reported as having been wounded on 16 November, is one of four brothers at the front. Corporal Clarke is well known in the cycling world of NZ, having at the age of 19 won the Timaru-Christchurch road race and the Mt Egmont road race and since then many path events. [AWN 11.01.1917]

CLAUSEN, Sergeant Neils, formerly of Te Aroha, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for bravery in the recent fighting in the Somme. He is at present in Bristol Hospital, wounded in the leg. This is the third time he has been wounded. [AWN 25.01.1917]

CLEARY, Private Sidney, who died on 31 July, from wounds received in France, was the youngest son of Mr. & Mrs. J Cleary of Kaiti, Gisborne and grandson of the late E F & Annie Harris of Gisborne and also of the late Thomas Cleary and of Mary Cleary of Panmure, Auckland. Private Cleary was educated at the Gisborne School and was 20 years of age. He left with the 14th Reinforcements. Another brother, Corporal E J CLEARY, who left with the 7th Reinforcements, was admitted to the Walton on Thames Hospital on 3 August, he was also wounded at the Somme. [AWN 20.09.1917]

CLINKER, Rifleman H S, who has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry at Messines, is the third son of Mr. & Mr. H Clinker, Mackay St, Thames. He attended Kaueranga School and enlisted in the 13th Reinforcements. [AWN 19.07.1917]

CLOSEY, 2nd Lieutenant S J E, Rifle Brigade, of Otorohanga, has been awarded the Military Cross: "Assumed command of and led his company with great courage and initiative, capturing and consolidating the position. He set a splendid example to his men." [AWN 11.01.1917]

COATES, Captain J G, who has been awarded the Military Cross, is a member of the House of Representatives for Kaipara, having won the seat on the second ballot in 1911. Born at Matakohe, he entered into pastoral work on his father's farm and became one of the leading pastoralists in the Kaipara district, being a noted breeder of Shropshire sheep and Hereford cattle. He was actively identified with public bodies in the northern districts and until his departure for the front, took a prominent part in recruiting, the care of soldiers' interests and other patriotic work. Capt Coates left NZ last October. [AWN 23.08.1917]

COATES, Lieutenant W H, son of Mrs. Coates of Matakohe, is reported missing. Lieutenant W A is a brother of Captain J G COATES, MP, for Kaipara. Prior to joining the forces he was an engineer with the Union Steam Ship Co. He left NZ with the 5th Mounted Reinforcements as sergeant major and served at Gallipoli where he received his commission, also with the mounted brigade in Egypt, until December 1916, when he was accepted for training in the Royal Flying Corps. Lieutenant Coates was serving in France with the RFC as scout pilot. [AWN 06.09.1917]

COATES, Flight Lieutenant W H, who was previously reported missing, is now reported believed killed. He was brought down by anti aircraft gunfire on 22 July and his machine fell behind the enemy lines. He is a brother of Captain J G COATES, MP, and is a member of the firm of G & R Coates, Matakohe. He left NZ with the 5th Mounted Reinforcements and saw service on Gallipoli where he gained his commission. After going through the Egyptian campaign, he was in December last accepted for training in the Royal Flying Corps. He was later transferred to England where he was for some time engaged on coastal scout duty. For the past six months he had been in the aviation service in France. He was regarded as a highly capable aviator and a gallant pilot. [AWN 18.10.1917]

COBB, Lieutenant J W, whose death has been reported, left NZ as sergeant of the Wellington Infantry Regiment, Main Body, and was wounded shortly after landing at Gallipoli. After recovering from his wounds in Egypt he returned to Gallipoli and was promoted to company sergeant major. He remained on the peninsula until the evacuation. Prior top embarkation for France he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant and transferred to the Auckland Infantry Regt. On arrival in France he was attached to the Australian Mining Corps and later to the NZ Tunnelling Corps but was recalled to his unit early this year. Prior to enlisting he was a joiner, having lived in Te Kuiti for about seven years. He was a keen territorial. His sister, Mr. Blackman, resides at Te Kuiti. [AWN 12.07.1917]

CODLIN, Gunner P, who has been killed in action, was the only son of Mr. N H Codlin of Kuaka, Waipu and 23 years of age. He enlisted in the Auckland Mounted Rifles and left NZ in November 1915. On the arrival of the NZ troops in France he volunteered for service in a French mortar battery with which he was serving at the time of his death. Prior to his enlistment he was employed as a fireman by the Railway Department. [AWN 29.03.1917]

COFFEY, Private Maurice, the only son of Mr. Edward Coffey, for many years in the Telegraph Dept., at Auckland. Private Coffey was at the Mt Roskill School and was apprenticed as a letterpress machinist. He left with the contingent, which took possession of Samoa. About a year later Private Coffey returned to Auckland and re-enlisted. [AWN 19.07.1917]

COGHLAN, Rifleman Clarence A, Rifle Brigade, son of Mr. A Coghlan, Mangere, has received shrapnel wounds in the face and head. His wounds are not serious and he is remaining with his unit. [AWN 12.04.1917]

COLE-BAKER, Douglas F G, son of Mrs. M R Cole-Baker, Onewhero, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in action. His commanding officer states in a letter that he went out several times by himself under heavy fire and each time brought in a wounded man. He left with the 14th Reinforcements. [AWN 27.09.1917]

COLLETT, Captain Clive F, who has been awarded the Military Medal, is a son of the late Captain Horace E Collett, for many years Inspector of Stock for the Bay of Plenty District. His mother now resides in Wellington. He joined the RFC, gaining his first commission early in 1915. Subsequently, as a result of service, he was awarded his third star and with the rank of Captain was also made Flight Commander and soon afterwards a pilot instructor. He was wounded for the second time on 9 September and is now in hospital at Calais. [AWN 18.10.1917]

COLLETT, Captain Clive T, of the Royal Flying Corps, wounded, is the son of Mrs. A M Collett of Epsom. Until a few months ago he was engaged in instructing pilots in fighting in the air, these duties being carried out in England. [AWN 20.09.1917]

COLMAN, Lance Corporal A T, who has been in the Walton on Thames Hospital for nine weeks suffering from debility, is now convalescent. He saw service in the South African war. His wife and family reside at John Street, Ponsonby. [AWN 03.05.1917]

CONINGHAM, Captain A, Royal Flying Corps, is now the dual holder of the DSO and Military Cross and is to be invested with both at Buckingham Palace next week. After nine months service in France he has a recent official record of 10 machines in 14 days. He was mentioned in French Army Orders four times in the space of a fortnight and between 12-30 July he was in 60 air combats and on 5 of the 6 days the weather was bad. He was recently in Hazebruck Hospital recovering from wounds received in an air battle on 30 July. [AWN 01.11.1917]

CONNELL, Private Alfred, killed in action, was the fourth son of Mr. R Connell of the Matamata Commercial Hotel. He enlisted with the 18th Reinforcements. He was employed by the Farmers' Auctioneering Co. Private Connell was a cricketer, tennis player and keen footballer and had represented Matamata in each sport for several seasons. [AWN 01.11.1917]

CONNELLY, Corporal W, Royal Field Artillery, eldest son of the late William Connelly, and Nurse Connelly, Captain St, Onehunga, has been awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous gallantry in conveying ammunition to an advance battery under very heavy shell fire in July last. He is an Aucklander and went to England before the war and enlisted there. [AWN 27.09.1917]

COOK, Rifleman Sydney G M, son of Mr. John Cook, Point Street, Mt Eden, was killed in action on 12 October. [AWN 08.11.1917]

COOK, Lieutenant W W, RFC, has been awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry and skill in attacking a Zeppelin. He ascended in a strong wind with thick mist and low clouds but eventually gave up the attack when 60 miles out to sea. The return journey was hazardous but he landed safely after 5 1/2 hrs in the air. He is the son of W Cook, Palmerston North. He attended the Kohimarama Aviation School where he had a brilliant career. He left NZ last January and was recently detailed for duty with the RFC on the east coast of Scotland where he was engaged in Zeppelin strafing. [AWN 18.10.1917]

COOK, Lieutenant William Wallace, a young NZ aviator, has been awarded the Military Cross and received special mention for a gallant attack on a zeppelin, evidently on the night of 24 September when flying ships and aeroplanes commenced the attacks on England last month. An announcement in the London Gazette - "For conspicuous gallantry and skill in the attack of a zeppelin. He ascended from his station during a strong wind, thick mist and low clouds, and showed great determination, eventually giving up the attack when 60 miles out to sea. His return journey was hazardous but with great skill he eventually effected a landing in a field within a quarter mile of the coast, having been in the air for 5 hrs" He qualified at the Kohimarama Flying School and came to England early this year, completing his training at Reading. He was then attached to a Reserve Squadron in Yorkshire and three months ago was transferred to one of the Home Defence Squadrons in Lincolnshire. [AWN 13.12.1917]

COOK, Major C F D, Wellington Battalion, who has been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, is the son of the late Professor Cook of Christchurch and a partner in the legal firm of Fullerton Smith Miles & Cook of Marton and Feilding. He left with the main body and acted as Staff Captain during the Gallipoli campaign. He was mentioned in despatches in connection with the fighting in August 1915 and was invalided the following months. On rejoining his regiment in February 1915 he was promoted to the rank of Major. [AWN 19.04.1917]

COOKE. The Victoria Cross presented to Mrs. M E COOKE at Government House, Wellington, was awarded to her husband Private Thos. COOKE, 8th Battalion, Australian Imperial Forces. From the London Gazette of 8 September 1916 - 'For most conspicuous gallantry. After a Lewis gun had been disabled he was ordered to take his gun and gun team to a dangerous part of the line. Here he did fine work but came under very heavy fire with the result that finally he was the only man left. He still stuck to his post and continued to fire his gun. When assistance was sent he was found dead beside his gun. He set a splendid example of determination and devotion to duty.' Private Cooke, aged 35, was a native of New Zealand and resided for many years in Wellington where he worked as a builder. About six years ago he went to Australia, being employed there until he left with the Australian Forces. He is survived by his widow and three children. [AWN 08.02.1917]

COOKE, Sister E K, who was instantly killed while attempting to cross the lines in front of a tramcar in Alexandria on 8 September, was the daughter of the late Mr. Henry Cooke of Grafton Road. She was in England when war broke out and after serving with the French Nursing Service for eight months, went to Egypt and had been for two years on the staff of the 17th General Hospital. The funeral took place at Hadra Cemetery and was attended by members of the medical and nursing staffs of the 17th and 15th General Hospitals. The coffin was carried from the ambulance to the graveside by Major WALSH, Captain MEDURN, Captain BOYD and Captain EASTON. The burial was made with full military honours. [AWN 27.12.1917]

COOKE, Sergeant Lancelot Eric, who has been reported wounded, is the only son of Mr.. W A Cooke of Queen Street. He left NZ with the Main Body in the mounted division and was at Gallipoli from about a fortnight after the landing till the evacuation, receiving his promotion in the field. He also fought in Egypt. Sergeant Cooke was wounded in the hand in December and again, in the back, about 20 April. [AWN 10.05.1917]

COOPER, Lieutenant A C, M.C., son of Mr. A Agnew, Waihi, has been killed in action. He left NZ with the Main Body and gained his commission on the field. He is credited with having captured the first German machine-gun that came to the New Zealanders. He came through the Gallipoli campaign uninjured. In the Somme battle he was wounded but remained at his post and kept up revolver fire on the enemy. It was in connection with this incident that the Military Cross was awarded. The deceased is well known as a footballer. [AWN 05.1917]

COOPER, Private Alexander C, a Gallipoli veteran, died at the Wellington Hospital last Friday. He was wounded in the face at the Gallipoli landing and again on 13 July, in the chest. He was then invalided to Malta and afterwards to Walton on Thames. In June 1916 he was sent back to NZ and had undergone 10 operations before that which resulted in his death. He was accorded a military funeral. [AWN 11.10.1917]

COOPER, Lieutenant R, son of Henry Cooper, Hepburn Street, who has been with the Imperial Forces in France for some time, has been promoted Captain. He is an old boy of Auckland Grammar School. He left Auckland to go to England in order to join the Royal Flying Club. Having difficulty in gaining admission to that Branch of the service he joined the Royal Garrison Artillery with the rank of junior Lieutenant. In France he rapidly gained promotion and his wife, Mrs. Cooper of Seccombe Rd, Newmarket, has just received word of his latest promotion. He was formerly on the reporting staff of the NZ Herald. [AWN 25.10.1917]

COOPER, 2nd Lieutenant A C, Infantry, of Waihi, has been awarded the Military Cross: "Led his platoon with great courage and initiative. Later, although wounded, he remained at his post. Previously he captured an enemy machine-gun himself." [AWN 11.01.1917]

CORIN, Corporal William Bennett, husband of Mr. F J Corin of Otahuhu, has died of wounds in the Third London General Hospital on 14 June. He was in Australia when war was declared and joined the Australian Forces as a private. He took part in the Somme battle where he received his wounds that proved fatal. His only son, Private William H CORIN, is on active service in France, having left NZ with one of the early contingents. [AWN 19.07.1917]

CORKILL, Captain T F, RAMC, son of Mr. T E Corkill, Bank of NZ, New Plymouth, has been awarded the Military Cross and has also been made a Chevalier of the Belgian Order of Leopold. [AWN 18.10.1917]

CORNWELL, Private James Minshall, who was killed in action in November, met his death through the bursting of a shell while on duty in the front trenches. He was in the employ of Messrs Buchanan and Co., Jewellers, till two years ago when he left to take up a position in Suva. He jointed the Australian Imperial Forces in February 1916, reaching France two months before his death. His brother, Gunner Henry CORNWELL, is serving with the NZ forces. Their parents reside at 53 Hepburn St, Ponsonby. [AWN 05.04.1917]

COUGHEY, Gunner John, Machine-gun Corps, son of James Coughey of Taupiri, has been awarded the Military Medal. He volunteered in 1915 and left with the 13th Reinforcements. He was wounded at Messines. Before enlisting he was farming at Morrinsville. [AWN 27.12.1917]

COWLES, Major John R, M.C., reported killed in action on 25 November, was born in Nelson. He was a member of the Samoan Advance Guard and as a captain in the Rifle Brigade, served against the Senussi in Egypt prior to going to France. Following service at the front he was stationed at the base for instructional duties and returned only recently to the front. Major Cowles, who was 32 years of age, was a brother of Lieutenant-Colonel J A COWLES who left NZ early this year on his third trip abroad on active service. [AWN 13.12.1917]

COX, Rifleman R J, killed in action at Messines on June 7, was the eldest son of Mr. R Cox of Matatoki, Thames Valley and was 23 years of age. He was born at Thames in 1894 and was educated at the Waikaraka, Puriri and Kopu schools. After school he worked on his father's farm until his enlistment. He volunteered for one of the earliest reinforcements but was rejected but was accepted for a later reinforcement and left NZ early in January 1916. He landed in Egypt and then proceeded to France where he saw considerable fighting. He went through the battle of the Somme without being injured. A brother is at present in camp. [AWN 12.07.1917]

CRADICK, Mr. A E, Auckland, has obtained a transfer to the NZEF after serving for the past year or two with British regiments. He was rejected on volunteering in NZ and came to England to enlist, serving successively in the Royal Bucks Hussars, the Sherwood Rangers and, lately, the 1st Life Guards. He is now attached to the NZ Engineers. [AWN 27.12.1917]

CRAIG, Lieutenant Edward A, died of wounds on 5 October 1917, was the youngest son of the late David Craig, one time Chief Manager of the NZ Insurance Co. He attended Non-commissioned Officers' Camp and was subsequently promoted to Sergeant Major. He gained his commission and joined the Auckland Infantry Battalion. He left NZ with the 24th Reinforcements in April last. Before enlistment he was in the Auckland Office of the NZ Insurance Co. where he was greatly esteemed by the company's clients as well as by his superior officers and a large number of people in Auckland. He was regarded as having a very prominent future. He was a keen footballer, one time captain of the Grammar School 15. His mother resides in Gillies Avenue, Epsom. [AWN 18.10.1917]

CRANE, Mrs. A M Crane, Beresford St, Auckland, has four sons now either in the firing line or on the way - Frank S G CRANE, the youngest of seven brothers, a private in the AIB, at the Somme; Frederick William CRANE, the eldest, joined the AIB during the Somme offensive; Bert and Charles CRANE, are in camp; George James CRANE, the sixth son, is en route to England with reinforcements. Bert and George have left wives who are resident in Auckland. [AWN 25.01.1917]

CROMPTON, Corporal Thomas S, killed in action, was the son of Mrs. L I C Crompton of Queens Ave, Dominion Road, and was born at Omata, Taranaki, 26 years ago. His father, the late Mr. H J Crompton, was a volunteer in the early Taranaki wars and his grandfather, the late Mr. W M Crompton, was the first editor of the Taranaki Herald and also one of the first members of the General Assembly on the Constitution Act being brought into operation in 1853. Corporal Crompton was foreman to Messrs Duncan & Davies, nurserymen, of New Plymouth. He was a volunteer before the days of the territorial system and afterwards a sergeant of territorials. One of the first to enlist in New Plymouth, he was in the landing at Gallipoli and he was slightly wounded on the peninsula in the following July. [AWN 29.03.1917]

CROSS, Trooper Albert John, Auckland Mounted Rifles, killed in action at El Arish, Egypt, on 7 January 1916, was the third son of Mr. E J Cross of Dairy Flat. He and a brother were in business in Auckland prior to his enlistment. A younger brother, Ernest CROSS, is on active service. [AWN 08.02.1917]

CROWHURST, Corporal Samuel A, Auckland Infantry, who has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in the field during the battle of Messines, is the son of Mr. S G Crowhurst of Roxburgh St, Newmarket. He enlisted in the Auckland Infantry and left with an early reinforcement. He has been on active service since in Gallipoli and France. He comes of a fighting family. His brother, Corporal Victor R CROWHURST, who left in the same reinforcements, was wounded at Gallipoli and again in France and is now in the Brockenhurst Hospital. Another brother, Private Arthur CROWHURST, enlisted in the Rifle Brigade and succumbed to cerebro-meningitis while in camp. Two other brothers, Francis and Leslie, went into training camp last week. The Newmarket Borough Council at a meeting last night congratulated Mr. & Mr. Crowhurst upon the distinction conferred on their son and also upon the fine record of the family. [AWN 12.07.1917

CRUICKSHANK, Lieutenant Graham, an ex Auckland boy, the son of the late Mr. William Cruickshank, and who is serving with the Canadian Forces, has been promoted to the rank of Captain. [AWN 11.01.1917]

CRUICKSHANK, Captain Graham, 54th Kootenay Regt, Canadian Imperial Forces, has been awarded the Military Cross. He is a native of Auckland, the eldest son of William Cruickshank. He was a resident in Canada for some years before going to the front and has been in France for about a year. [AWN 08.03.1917]

CRUM, Private Fred A, reported died of wounds on 9 May 1917, was the eldest son of Mr.. Albert Crum of New Lynn. He was born at Ashburton and finished his education at the Auckland Grammar School where he was a keen rifle shot. At the outbreak of war, though only 19 years of age, he enlisted with his territorial unit, No.1 Field Ambulance. Leaving NZ with the Main Body, he went through the Gallipoli campaign and after the evacuation was laid up with appendicitis for three weeks, his only absence from duty. He was then transferred to the Mounted Field Ambulance with which he was serving at the time of his death. [AWN 24.05.1917]

CULLEN, Private Thomas P, reported died of wounds, was the third son of Mr. & Mrs. John Cullen, The Camp, Tauranga, and was 30 years of age. He was born in Tauranga and after leaving school joined Mr. Badger's - now E H White's - business where he worked for many years. He took a keen interest in Rugby football and was one of the best known local players. Farrier Sergeant E J CULLEN, deceased's brother, who was seriously wounded while serving at Gallipoli, is now in hospital in Auckland. [AWN 29.03.1917]

CULLING, Thomas Grey, Flight Lieutenant, RANS, who has just had conferred upon him the Distinguished Service Cross, is the only son of Mr. T S Culling of Remuera. On 23 April 1917, with two other machines, he engaged a formation of nine hostile scouts and two-seater machines. Two two-seater machines were shot down, one of them by Flight Lieutenant Culling unassisted, for which deed his work has been honoured. [AWN 30.08.1917]

CUNNINGHAM, Lieutenant Colonel, W H, of the 7th, Wellington and West Coast, Regiment, commands a battalion of the Wellington Regiment at the front. He left NZ as a major in the Main Body force. [AWN 04.01.1917]

CURRY, Rifleman Oliver J - A memorial to the late Rifleman Curry, youngest son of Mr. & Mrs. Curry of Otahuhu, who fell in the Somme advance on 29 September, has been placed in Holy Trinity Church, Otahuhu. The unveiling ceremony took place on Sunday morning, the Rev H Mason delivering an impressive address. [AWN 22.02.1917]

DAGG, Lieutenant - The following letter has been received by Mrs. R E Dagg of Remuera from Lieutenant Colonel C H BROWN, Officer Commanding the 2nd, Auckland, Battalion, in connection with the death of her son. "Please permit me to extend to you my most sincere and heartfelt sympathy on the death of your son Lieutenant Dagg. He was killed in action on 15 September 1916 while leading his men in the attack on the German trenches. I first came to know your son as a non-commissioned officer when I joined the Battalion three months ago. He was later promoted to the rank of Lieutenant and proved himself a most painstaking and efficient officer. He was brave beyond words and held the highest esteem and confidence of his men. It is difficult to write these few lines as I realise how very severe the blow must be to you. I can only say that he gave his life while gallantly doing his duty to his King and country - a brave officer and a true soldier whom we sadly miss. Your son's body was buried near the village of Fleur on the Somme; the exact location will be made known to you by the authorities. In consequence, please accept the most sincere sympathy of every officer and man in the Battalion on your sad bereavement." [AWN 04.01.1917]

DALBY - A promising NZ officer, Lieutenant E Ballard DALBY, RNR, and an Extramaster of the Port of London, was killed in action at sea on 18th March last, probably at the time of the German raid on Ramsgate. He had been serving all through HMS Carmania's commission and following the sinking of that vessel and the Cap Trafalgar soon after war broke out, he rose to be second in command. He was then transferred to a warship. Previously the late Lieutenant had seen considerable service in the NZ Shipping Co which he left to report himself to the Admiralty. A brief while ago he was married in London to Dr Marjorie MIDDLETON, niece of Sir John Middleton. Sergeant Major Charles DALBY, of the Main Expeditionary Force, 1st, Wellington, Battalion, since invalided home to NZ, is a brother of the deceased and met him while in England. There are other relatives in North Canterbury. [AWN 26.04.1917]

DANDO, Trooper P A, son of Mr.. H A Dando of the staff of the Auckland Tramways Co, has been wounded, in injuring being a gunshot wound on the left foot. He left NZ in November last. Before his enlistment he was a cadet on a farm near Ngaruawahia. [AWN 24.05.1917]

DAVIES, Sydney Allan, Sapper, who died on July 10 in England, at the age of 24 years, was the only son of Mr. Davies of Te Aroha, late of Waihi. He saw service in Gallipoli and at the Somme. From then he was invalided to England, succumbing after a long illness. [AWN 02.08.1917]

DAVIS, Private Charles Edward, killed in action 7 June, was the only son of the late Mr. Charles Davis of Annandale and Cambridge. He left NZ with an early reinforcement. He took part in the Somme offensive, where he became ill. After being in hospital for five months he rejoined his unit. Prior to enlisting he was in the employ of Ellis & Burnand, Hamilton. He was born at Cambridge nearly 21 years ago. [AWN 12.07.1917]

DAWSON, Lieutenant H W, Royal Flying Corps, killed in action, was a nephew of Lieutenant G F Cater, bandmaster of the Garrison Artillery Division. He left NZ as a private in the 11th Reinforcements, with the engineers. He did arduous work as a despatch rider at the Somme. Last March he gained his commission. Afterwards he went through a course of training as a scout pilot. [AWN 25.10.1917

DAWSON, Lieutenant H W, Royal Flying Corps, of Christchurch, was killed last week as a result of a flying accident in France. He was formerly a member of the NZEF with which he served in Egypt and France, transferring to the RFC early this year. In the course of a few months' service in France he earned a reputation as a pilot and fighter and brought down in a short period, nine enemy machines. [AWN 13.12.1917]

DAY, Second Lieutenant E V G, RB, who is a son of Mr.. V G Day, SM, was formerly adjutant at Ashburton. He received his commission in the Rifle Brigade a month or two ago. [AWN 31.05.1917]

DEVENEY, Private John M, youngest son of Mr. Deveney of Takanini, Manurewa, has been wounded for the second time. Prior to his enlistment early in 1915 he was farming at Pokeno. Before he was of age - he spent both his 20th and 21st birthdays in the trenches - he saw several engagements in Egypt with the Auckland Mounted Rifles and he received his first wound at Gaza. [AWN 24.05.1917]

DEVEREUX, Captain Geoffry de B, who has been awarded the Military Cross, is a son of the Hon. Mrs. H B Devereux of Market Road, Epsom. He is a native of Auckland and is an old Grammar School boy. He was a member of the College Rifles and prior to the war held a commission in the 3rd, Auckland, Regiment. [AWN 08.11.1917]

DIXON, Gunner G S, of the machine-gun section of the 16th Reinforcements, who has been seriously wounded, is reported by private advices to be in hospital at Boulogne. [AWN 01.11.1917]

DIXON, Lieutenant Lionel M, who has been awarded the Military Cross, is well known in Auckland. He saw two years service in the South African War as a member of the Imperial Yeomanry. He came to NZ after the Boer War and for some years he was on the office staff of the Auckland Education Board. Subsequently he went to Taihape as secretary of the Taihape Freezing Co. Lieutenant Dixon went into camp with the non-commissioned draft for the 9th Reinforcements but gained a commission and finally left with the 12th Draft with the Wellington Infantry. At Messines he was wounded in the head and he rejoined his regiment only a short time before the recent offensive. His wife, the daughter of Mr. A S Webber, is at present residing in Auckland. [AWN 08.11.1917]

DEWAR, Lance Corporal Owen B, who has been awarded the Military Medal, is the son of Mr. A E Dewar of Auckland. He enlisted at the age of 18 and left NZ with one of the earliest reinforcements, being attached to the machine gun section. After service in Egypt he went to France. During the Somme fight in which he participated, his section lost 25 men out of a total of 29. Just prior to the Messines battle he was gassed but remained with his section. He is now in England. His brother Dick is also serving in the Expeditionary Force, being attached to the artillery. [AWN 12.07.1917]

DIGBY SMITH, Major A, awarded the Distinguished Service Order, was formerly resident in Dunedin where he was employed by the Customs Dept. It was recently cabled that he was wounded at Messines. Prior to being transferred to the Rifle Brigade for service abroad, Major Digby Smith held the rank of Captain in the No.2 Field Co. Engineers at Dunedin. [AWN 12.07.1917]

DIGBY SMITH, A, Major, whose NOK is his wife, Mrs. N C Digby Smith, Musselburgh Rise, Dunedin, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Order. Although severely wounded and gassed he led a company to its objective and remained until the situation was secure. [AWN 23.08.1917]

DIGHTON, Sergeant Leslie Probyn, killed in action, was the youngest son of Dr A A Dighton, Cheltenham, England, and was educated at Cheltenham College. When he enlisted in the Canterbury Infantry Battalion he was manager in NZ for the Neuchatel Asphalt Co. and prior to his arrival in NZ held important positions in Jamaica, Greece, Austria and West Australia. [AWN 26.07.1917]

DILLON, Edward Thomas, Rifleman, who died of sickness in the Walton on Thames Hospital on 5 July, was the only son of the late Mr. Denis Dillon of Albury. He went with the 15th Reinforcements. He was severely wounded in three places by a bomb on 21 December and was sent to Brockenhurst Hospital and afterwards to a convalescent home where he developed pleurisy from the effects of which he died. He was born in Kaikoura 21 years ago and was educated at the Waikari and Albury schools. [AWN 02.08.1917

DINNEEN, Captain J D, Auckland - The circumstances in which he met his death on the battlefield are related in a number of letters received last week by his mother, Mrs. M D Dinneen of Manukau Rd, Remuera, from fellow officers and others who were near him at the last. Captain Dinneen had a brilliant educational career in Auckland as a scholarship holder at the Grammar School and the University College and finally he gained a nomination for one of the NZ Rhodes scholarships. Then he became a member of the staff of the Grammar School, where he was also a captain of the school cadets up to the time when he left NZ. Lieutenant Col PLUGGE, commander of the First, Auckland, Infantry Battalion of the NZEF, writes: "Captain Dinneen was wounded on 27 September. He was gallantly leading his company to the attack on Gird Trench and, although he was twice wounded in the arm by machine gun fire, he went on, but a shell burst close to him, fracturing his thigh and a fragment striking him in the chest. We were not able to get him in attempting it, but one of his men got out to the shell hole with food and drink and covered him up. I saw him when they got him in and immediately arranged for a change of stretcher bearers. He was quite cheerful and only wanted something to drink. My doctor told me afterwards that he had hopes that his fine constitution would pull him through but it turned out that he had been hit by a phosphorus shell." In expressing his sympathy with the family in their bereavement, Col Plugge adds: "He was a splendid company officer, beloved by his men and absolutely devoid of all fear. I miss him not only as an officer but as an old personal friend and, though I was responsible for his joining the NZEF, I do not regret it and I don't think that he would." Private F WATSON of the 16th, Waikato, Company says: "On September 27 we made an attack. It took place in four waves. Captain Dinneen should have gone over with the third wave but, being such a keen and brave man, he went with the first wave. We topped the parapet at 2.15 pm, Captain Dinneen in the lead, a pistol in either hand. I was near hi m right up to the time he fell. About half way between our trenches and the Hun barbed wire, a shell burst alongside him. The last I saw of him he was sitting in a shell hole and he did not appear to be in any agony. I was wounded myself the same night but one of our boys told me they got Captain Dinneen to a dressing station where he died on 1 October. He was absolutely the bravest and coolest man I have met. He was strict and conscientious but we all loved him as a gallant office and man. I have never come across an officer who did so much for his men. He was with us heart and soul and we with him. It was a common saying among us on the way to the Somme that if 'Jimmy Dinneen' came through he would get the DSO or a decoration of some sort. He was too good and brave a man to last - it is always the best that go young." [AWN 18.01.1917]

DOBBIE, Private Hugh, admitted to hospital in France on 16 June, suffering from severe gunshot wounds through the right thigh, is reported to be progressing favourably. He was formerly employed as a shipwright by the Auckland Harbour Board. [AWN 19.07.1917]

DOBSON, Captain Donald, M.C., is the fourth son of the late Robert Dobson of Napier and a nephew of Mr. A Dudley Dobson, city surveyor, Christchurch. He had just completed his articles with Messrs Harper Son & Pascoe of Christchurch, when war broke out and he left with the main body. [AWN 04.01.1917]

DOIDGE, Corporal Edwin Bailey, reported missing and believed to have been killed, was the youngest son of Mr. Edwin Doidge, one time of Auckland but for some years past a resident of Kootamandra, NSW. Corporal Doidge was wounded in France about the middle of last year, being struck on the back by shrapnel while trench digging. He was invalided to England and only returned to the firing line on the western front just after last Christmas. He came to Auckland about five years ago and was at first in the employ of a commercial firm for some time. Subsequently he joined the reporting staff of the NZ Herald and later the illustrations department of the Auckland Weekly News, enlisting in one of the reinforcement drafts whilst holding the latter post. Though his parents reside in Kootamandra, several of Corporal Doidge's relatives are resident in Auckland. His older brothers, Sergeant Major F W Doidge, formerly Chief Reporter of the Auckland Star, and Private Herbert Doidge, a former employee of the Auckland branch of the Bank of NZ, are both at the front. His sister-in-law, Mrs. F W Doidge, is at present residing with her father, Captain CLARK, at Onehunga. Corporal Doidge was warmly esteemed by a large circle of friends and was a young man of high character and modest demeanour. He was 24 years of age and unmarried. [AWN 15.03.1917]

DOIDGE - An interesting letter from an officer described how Corporal Edwin Barley (Jack) DOIDGE Met his death. He was formerly in charge of the illustrations department of the 'Weekly News' and joined the 8th reinforcements. He came from Cootamundra, NSW, and had been in NZ some years prior to the war. Soon after arrival at the front he was wounded by shrapnel but recovered and returned to the firing line. He was later reported missing, believed killed, but the letter dispels any hope that he might possibly still be alive. The officer, writing to Corporal DOIDGE's mother, on 28 February 1917, said:- "Dear Madame, as one of Corporal Doidge's officers, it is my painful duty to convey to you the sad news that Jack is reported missing and believed killed. From what our officer Captain KING told me on return to the front line, I cannot even offer you any hope of his having been captured alive. We were reassembled in our front line after a successful raid on the enemy. Captain King on his return told me he was with Corporal Doidge when he was killed instantly by a bomb in the enemy front line. Captain King killed his assailant in return with another bomb. Just after our Captain had finished speaking to me, he was killed by a shell and accordingly that is the only evidence the authorities have with regard to Jack's fate. Jack was a fine soldier and a splendid NCO. He was highly respected by men and officers alike. Please accept on our behalf our united sincerest sympathy. Yours, very truly, T Johnson, 2nd Lieutenant. [AWN 24.05.1917]

DORE, Chaplain-Captain Father One of the most interesting reunions of Anzac men was that which was held at the Albert Hotel on Tuesday, when returned members of the Auckland Mounted Rifles, to the3 number of about sixty, assembled to do honour to Chaplain-Captain DORE, who is so well known to all Auckland troops and particularly to the members of the AMR, as 'Father Dore'. Chaplain-Captain Dore was one of the chaplains of the NZ Mounted Brigade, main body, and was attached to the AMR. He went to Gallipoli with the brigade in May 1915, about a fortnight after the landing and remained there until the middle of August. Captain DORE at all times showed a keen devotion to duty and was awarded the Military Cross for the great gallantry that he displayed. Whilst rescuing wounded soldiers, he himself was badly wounded at Chunuk Bair. Major Ralph W WYMAN, DSO, presided over the reunion of the survivors who shared the hardships of those memorable weeks on Gallipoli, in which the AMR took such an honourable part. In proposing the toast of 'Father DORE' he described their guest as 'one of the finest and whitest men who had left NZ for the front' 'Father Dore', he said, was not only a chaplain and priest; he was a padre to all - the friend, guide and counselor of men, not only of the Catholic Communion, but of all denominations. He recounted many instances in which their chaplain, at the greatest personal danger, had assisted wounded soldiers. On behalf of the returned members of the main body of the AMR, he presented Captain Dore with a fine case of pipes, in a silver box, bearing a suitable inscription. Major Wyman's remarks received the hearty endorsement of all present and their sentiments found further active expression in the rousing ovation accorded to Captain Dore when the latter made his reply. He thanked them all for their present, and said that he was proud to wear the bade of one of the AMR squadrons, which, he said, had been carried to the forefront of the battle, right to the shell torn crest of Chunuk Bair. He made a touching reference to the men of the regiment who had fallen at Anzac and who had been buried by him. The other toasts included 'The Imperials and Allied Forces' proposed by Mr. A G Lunn and responded to by Captain J A WALLINGTON, MC, and 'The AMR' proposed by Captain BECK and replied to by Mr. C G NICOL, lately sergeant in the Third AMR. Appreciative reference was made by various speakers to the honour of DSO, which had been conferred upon Lt Col C E R MACKESY and that of MC, which had been bestowed upon Captain Fred WOOD, both of whom had so prominently been associated with the AM. [AWN 11.01.1917]

DONNE, Second Lieutenant S E, who died of wounds on 22 October, was the second-youngest son of Mrs. A E Anderson, Dunedin and brother of Mrs. Griffiths, Tauhei. He was born at Queenstown, Wakatipu, 26 years ago and was educated at Otago Boys' High School. He was a keen athlete, being well known in football circles in Dunedin, Invercargill and Wellington. He enlisted at Wellington where he was employed in the office of the Public Works Dept and left with the 23rd Reinforcements. [AWN 15.11.1917]

DONNELLY, Corporal Arthur H, Australian Infantry, aged 25, was born at Roxburgh and was the younger son of Mr. William Donnelly. He was a carpenter and was only in Victoria a few months working at the Wonthaggi Hospital when war broke out. He enlisted and was accepted early in August 1914. He landed at Gallipoli and was wounded at the end of August 1915 and invalided to England. On his recovery he served some months on the Australian headquarters staff before rejoining his regiment in France, where he served through all the heavy fighting of the last year. He was wounded in the leg three months ago but after five days in hospital he rejoined his unit, although the wound was still troublesome. He was killed in action on September 20, 1917. [AWN 22.11.1917]

DOUGHERTY, Private D M ('Monte'), is the eldest son of Mr. Dougherty of Mt Albert. He was employed by S Winterbourne & Co., gun merchants. [AWN 19.07.1917]

DOUGLAS, Allan R, Lieutenant, killed in action, left NZ with the 23rd Reinforcements, just after attaining his 21st birthday. He was a son of the late John Douglas, of Mount Royal Estate, Palmerston, and received a portion of his education at the Wanganui College, completing his course at the Waitaki Boys High School. he then joined the firm of Messrs Donald Reid & Co. and was in their employment at the time of his enlistment. [AWN 30.08.1917]

DOVE, Lieutenant W W, aged 22, is the son of Mr. J C Dove of St Stephens Ave, Parnell. At the outbreak of war he immediately volunteered and was sent to Samoa as a signaller with a force that occupied that enemy colony. Returning to the Dominion he received a commission in the Fourth Battalion of the NZ Rifle Brigade and proceeded to the front where he saw service on the Somme. In October last he was given the rank of temporary Captain and made second in command of his company. Lieutenant Dove is the fourth King's College old boy to obtain the Military Cross. [AWN 22.02.1917]

DOWDEN, Private W E, son of R R Dowden, Birkenhead, who was recently awarded the Military Medal, left NZ in February 1916 with the Mounted Rifles. After reaching Egypt he was transferred to the Infantry and went to France where he was again transferred to the Machine Gun Section. He has been wounded once and is now at the base, Codford. [AWN 04.10.1917]

DOWSING, Private Robert, killed in action, was the eldest son of Mr. A H Dowsing of Richmond. He received his education at Richmond Road School. For many years he was employed by Messrs Lamb & Smith and at the time he enlisted he was employed by Messrs Wingate & Co. He was a keen yachtsman, being a member of the Richmond Cruising Club. His wife resides in Kingsland. His brother, Private C E DOWSING, who has been wounded, was a keen footballer and boxer and won the featherweight championship in Auckland two years ago. His wife resides at King Street, Richmond. [AWN 26.07.1917]

DUIGAN, Lieutenant D F, a Military Cross winner, who is 25 years of age, was a law student in the office of Mr. B Wyman when he enlisted. He is a native of Wanganui and was educated at Nelson College and the Victoria University College. He left NZ with the 9th Reinforcements. He was seriously wounded in No Man's Land in France last year and it is believed that he would have lost his life but for the fact that he was rescued by his commanding officer, Col R C ALLEN (then Major Allen), who has been awarded the DSO for gallantry at Messines. [AWN 08.11.1917]

DULEY - Among those who recently died from wounds in France was Sergeant Major C G DULEY of the Royal Engineers, two of whose brothers have been resident in Auckland. He was a brother of Driver N M DULEY of the Permanent Force, now stationed at Devonport, who went with the Main NZ Expeditionary Force to Gallipoli where he was wounded on two occasions, receiving injuries to both arms and one of his thighs. Driver DULEY also served in France. His younger brother Private B DULEY who was formerly on the staff of the Bank of NZ in Auckland and afterwards in Sydney, enlisted in the Australian force and is now fighting in France where he has been wounded three times. [AWN 27.09.1917]

DUTHIE, Lieutenant Keith, who has been killed in action, was the youngest son of Mr. D W Duthie, general manager of the National BNZ and formerly manager of the Auckland branch. He was educated at King's College and later studied law at the Auckland University He left with the rifle Brigade and was promoted recently on the field He was a keen sportsman, having won the singles tennis championship of the University of NZ. He was only 23 years old. Mr. D W Duthie has three other sons on military service - Adjutant-Captain Norman DUTHIE is serving in France and his brother, Alan DUTHIE, is at present in training at Trentham. The third brother Hugh, is on the military staff at Singapore. [AWN 23.08.1917]

DUTHIE, Keith, Lieutenant, NZ Rifle Brigade, son of D W Duthie, general manager of the National Bank of NZ, was in a dugout with three other officers when a shell exploded, killing him instantly. The other officers escaped with slight injuries. His brother, Captain N A DUTHIE, who was in the neighbourhood, was informed and was present at the funeral. Lieutenant Duthie had taken part in the campaign in Egypt and in the battle of Messines without mishap. [AWN 04.10.1917]