Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

EASTGATE, Corporal H S, son of Mrs. Eastgate of Auckland, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in the field. He was wounded in the neck by shell fire on 1 September last and on returning to the Somme he was, on 28 November, struck by a bomb while in charge of a raiding party, sustaining a compound fracture of the right arm and wounds to the head and side. He is progressing satisfactorily. [AWN 22.03.1917]

ECCLES, Captain Horace D, RAMC, who was born in England, has been killed in action. He qualified at Guy's Hospital, London, arrived in the Dominion in 1900 and started in practice at Mangonui. He held the rank of captain of the First Mangonui Mounted Rifles, subsequently attaining to the rank of colonel of the North Auckland Regt. Shortly after the outbreak of war he proceeded to England where he enlisted and was immediately appointed medical instructor at one of the RAMC camps and sent to France. On 25 July of this year he was promoted, mentioned in despatches and transferred from the Artists' Rifles to the Irish Rifles. Capt Eccles, who was well known and extremely popular in the Auckland Province served with distinction through the South African War, being awarded the Queen's Medal with two clasps. He is survived by Mrs. Eccles, who resides in Wynyard Street, City. [AWN 27.09.1917]

EDWARDS, Lieutenant E, 22nd AIB, is in the Third London General Hospital, Wandsworth, from France, suffering from gunshot wound and excision of the left eye. [AWN 03.05.1917]

EGAN, Lance Corporal J P, Otago Regiment, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He displayed great courage and determination in rescuing wounded men under heavy fire. [AWN 03.05.1917]

ELLIOTT, Rifleman Hugh, aged 39, killed in action, was the fifth son of the late Mr. Samuel Elliott and Mr. Elliott, Opotiki. He attended the Opotiki School and in 1910 joined his brother John farming at Tamaki. The brothers then went to Rototuna near Hamilton farming. In 1916 he joined the Rifle Brigade. Two brother, William and George, are also members of the British forces, William being in South Africa and George in France. [AWN 05.07.1917]

ELLIS, Lieutenant Edwin G, who has died of wounds, was the second son of Mr. R H ELLIS of Tararu, Thames. He left NZ early in the year with the 24th Reinforcements. He was educated at Thames and afterwards joined the Railway Dept as a cadet. He subsequently entered the employ of Hemingway and Robertson and while there qualified as a public accountant. In 1914 Lieutenant Ellis commenced the practice of his profession as an accountant. He was very well known in rowing club circles and was a keen player of lacrosse. One of his brothers is now in France and another, after being invalided home, is leaving again shortly with a reinforcement draft. [AWN 01.11.1917]

ELLISDON, Four sons of Mr. F J H Ellisdon, Kingsland, have given their services at the front. Sergeant Thomas E Ellisdon, who was reported wound the other day, left NZ with an early reinforcement draft. He gained his promotion from the ranks on service, being made a corporal soon after arrival in Egypt, then fighting through the arduous days of Anzac and finally received his sergeant 's stripes in January of this year. His brother, the late Captain ELLISDON, left with the same reinforcement in the Auckland Mounted Infantry. His name was mentioned by Sir Douglas Haig in connection with the Somme operations. The third brother, Private Lionel ELLISDON, has been invalided home, suffering from rheumatism and arrived in Auckland this week; while the fourth, Private Roy ELLISDON, took his place in the trenches some weeks ago. [AWN 08.03.1917]

EVANS, Lieutenant Colonel A Winter, Rifle Brigade, awarded the Distinguished Service Order, was manager for the Consolidated Goldfields, Reefton. Prior to joining the Expeditionary Force, he held a commission in the Motor Service Corps, Canterbury Military District. [AWN 12.07.1917]

EVANS, A Winter, Colonel, of Reefton, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Order. He exhibited great coolness and energy in consolidating a captured position. [AWN 23.08.1917]

FAITHFULL, Private Norman, reported missing, is the eldest son of Mr. Norman Faithfull of Waipapa, Bay of Islands. He left NZ in January 1916 and was wounded at the Somme on 15 September. Previous to enlisting he was engaged in the timber trade. Private Faithfull is 23 years old.

FALLWELL, Rifleman Ivan Trevor, only son of A G Fallwell of Tauranga and grandson of the late Rev T Norrie of Papakura, has recently been wounded in action in France. Born in Papakura 23 years ago, he was educated at the State school there. He joined the teaching staff of the Auckland Education Board and at the time of enlistment was in charge of the Katikati No.1 school. He was for some time in Egypt before proceeding to France, taking part in the Somme offensive. He was a representative 3/4 back in the Tauranga Rugby Union team and a hockey player. He is a powerful summer and while in France won a 60yrd swim race in which 43 competitors took part. He is progressing favourably at the 25th General Hospital, Hardelot. [AWN 15.02.1917]

FARRINGTON, Driver Maurice C, comes from a fighting family, practically all of his male relatives having served at some time or other in the Imperial Army or Royal Navy. He was born in India 41 years ago and shortly after his arrival in NZ he engaged in farming at Levin. Later he took up his residence in Auckland where, in 1913, he started in business as a motor importer and mechanic. He enlisted early in 1915 and proceeded to the front as an infantryman, holding the rank of Corporal. After seeing service at Gallipoli he was transferred to France, where he was attached to the Army Service Corps, being engaged driving a motor-ambulance. [AWN 05.07.1917]

FAULKNER, Lance Corporal Ernest, killed in action on 20 October, left with the 27th Reinforcements, aged 34 years and was the fourth son of Mr. & Mrs. J Faulkner of Northcote and was educated at Gisborne. He entered the plastering trade but prior to going into camp he had been fruit-growing at Northcote. He was married to the eldest daughter of Constable Biddek of Birkenhead. He leaves a widow and infant son. [AWN 15.11.1917]

FELS, Gunner Harold H, reported killed in action, was the only son of Mr. W Fels, managing director of Hallenstein Bros. and grandson of the late Mr. Bendiz Hallenstein. Born in Dunedin in 1891, he was educated at the Dunedin and Waitaki Boys High Schools and was for five years engaged in the company's Dunedin warehouse. He was a keen member of B Battery for some years before war broke out. He left with the 18th Reinforcements. He was reported wounded twice. [AWN 01.11.1917]

FERGUSON, Second Lieutenant Robert Arthur, Royal Fusiliers, young Mr.. son of Mr.. Ferguson of Timaru has been killed in action. He was 19 years of age. [AWN 31.05.1917]

FERGUSON, Private Charles C, who left NZ with the 17th Reinforcements, was admitted to Brockenhurst Hospital in June, having been gassed severely. He is now reported to be improving. His wife and family reside at Chamberlain Street, Grey Lynn. [AWN 16.08.1917]

FIDLER, Lieutenant Carrel Watt, of the Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders, attached to the Royal Flying Corps, who died of shell wounds in Belgium, was the son of the late Mr. W Fidler, at one time inspector of school in Auckland. Lt Fidler, who was born at Auckland, joined the force in Canada two weeks after the outbreak of war. [AWN 27.09.1917]

FINDLAY, Lieutenant Colonel John, DSO, commanding the Canterbury Mounted Rifles, left with the main body. He was severely wounded on Gallipoli in August 1915. Col Findlay, who is a farmer near Ashburton, saw much service in the South African war and wears the Queen's Medal, with five clasps. [AWN 04.01.1917]

FINNERTY, Private James, who has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in the field, is the eldest son of Constable Finnerty of Panmure. He left NZ with the 7th Reinforcements and was severely wounded on 7 July for the second time. [AWN 27.09.1917]

FITZPATRICK, Private C A, awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, was the only son of Mr. Fitzpatrick and the late Mr. Charles Fitzpatrick, 46 Murdoch Road. He was educated at St Patrick's College, Wellington, and left with the 5th Reinforcements. [AWN 12.07.1917]

FLEMING, Gunner - Amongst the wounded soldiers who arrived at Auckland by Monday's Main Trunk Express train, was Gunner Fleming, NZFA, who gained the Military Medal for conspicuous conduct in France. Gunner Fleming, of Devonport, left NZ with the Main Body. After serving 6 1/2 months on Gallipoli he was transferred to France and was there for two months. "....One afternoon our Unit was in the vicinity of Armentierres where the German artillery had been particularly active and our guns were engaged in driving off enemy aeroplanes. The Germans shelled our positions all the afternoon in the hope of destroying the anti aircraft guns and during the bombardment the signal lines of communication with headquarters were destroyed. It was imperative that communication should be made and no skilled engineers being available, I was one who volunteered for the work. Shells were still falling thickly and It was during a very short period that my services were of avail for a shell nearly ended my career. As it was I was rendered unconscious being wounded in the arm, hip, shoulder and back. I was 3 1/2 months in hospital at Newcastle on Tyne and two months in Hornchurch. While in England I received notice of having been awarded the Military Medal and I am proud of the honour conferred on me....." He says his right arm is quite helpless and it is doubtful if it will be of service to him in the future. He was most enthusiastic in his praise of the treatment received in the hospital and of the devoted attention of the nursing staff. [AWN 25.01.1917]

FLEMING, Gunner R I - The only one of the four soldiers who lived to personally receive the reward, the Military Medal, for his bravery on the field was Gunner Fleming of Devonport. He was cordially congratulated by the Acting Prime Minister. Gunner Fleming has received a permanent injury to his right hand. [AWN 08.03.1917] *See 'Valour Rewarded'

FLOWER, Private Harold R, who was killed in action on 7 June, was the eldest son of Mr. Harold E Flower, of Maungaturoto. He was educated at the Maungaturoto School and afterwards engaged in farming. He volunteered as soon as he reached the age of 20 years. [AWN 26.07.1917]

FORD. The first Pukekohe soldier to win the Military Medal is Private Maurice FORD. In a letter from him he says "One night a mate and I were on the 'Listening Post'. At 9.30 almost forty of the Germans came over. The night was very dark and they came very close before we saw them. My mate went to give the report to the machine-guns. One of the Germans came close to me and I shot him. I was in a little dug-out and they couldn't see me. Then I got out of the hole and threw my bombs and I held them back until our machine-guns got at them. I got about three of them, one shot and two bombed. The 'Listening Post' is out in no-man's-land." [AWN 01.03.1917]

FORDE, Lance Corporal Hugh Douglas, who died of wounds on 26 October, was the eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. F H Forde of St Heliers Bay. He was 22 years old and was educated at St John's College. After leaving college he joined the staff of the NZ Insurance Co. to which he was attached up to the time of his enlistment. He left with the 13th Reinforcements and after reaching England was for some months engaged in staff work at Sling Camp. He left for France early in January with a howitzer battery in which he was serving when he received the wounds, which proved fatal. A young brother, Private Norman Arthur FORDE, went with the 22nd Reinforcements and was killed in action on 4 October. He was educated at St John's College and prior to enlisting was engaged as a motor mechanic in Auckland. [AWN 15.11.1917]

FOUBISTER, Lieutenant John L, son of Mrs. S H Foubister, The Drive, Epsom, killed in an aeroplane accident at Croydon on 8 October, was born at Mangonui, North Auckland. He was educated at the Epsom school and subsequently at St John's College. Upon leaving school he became a motor mechanic. In sport he was very successful and at the age of 18 was prominent as a cyclist. He was afterwards successful in motor-cycle racing. After passing through the NZ Flying School at Kohimarama he went to England to complete his training. He had passed all his theory examinations in England and was probably undergoing his final test when the accident happened which terminated a promising career. [AWN 25.10.1917

FOUBISTER, Lieutenant John L, a graduate of the Kohimarama Flying School, met his death as a result of a flying accident in outer London last week. He went to England in May and was still in a training course. The evidence showed that he was instructed not to attempt to turn until he had reached a height of 1,000 feet. When he was about 500 feet up the machine was seen to turn, a gust of wind caught it and it fell into a field, the aviator being killed. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death. [AWN 13.12.1917]

FRANSHAM, Private Stanley Benjamin, who died of wounds on 7 June, was the second son of Mr. & Mr. Fransham of Whitford and was 20 years of age. He was born and educated at Avondale. Prior to his enlistment he was farming at Te Rore, Pirongia. [AWN 12.07.1917]

FREE, Captain Cuthbert W awarded the Military Cross, is about 25 years of age and is the eldest son of Mr. S L P Free, solicitor of Christchurch, who is now acting as military representative before the First Otago Military Service Board. He was educated at Christ's College and Canterbury College. He was a good athlete and rifle shot. He left NZ as a lieutenant in the Canterbury Mounted Rifles, Main Body, but he transferred to the infantry. He was wounded at Gallipoli and again in France. [AWN 12.07.1917]

FREYBERG, B C, Brigadier General, DSO, the hero of Beaucourt, is 27 years of age and probably the youngest General in the British Army. He has the distinction of having risen from Lieutenant to his present rank in 2 1/2 years. When the war broke out he was in America where he had practised as a dentist and had served as a soldier in Mexico. He immediately went to England and went to Antwerp with the Naval Division. There he was injured through coming into contact with a wire. His next service was at the Dardanelles where he was awarded the DSO for his gallant action in swimming ashore in the Gulf of Xeros, towing lighted flares and reconnoitring the enemy's positions. His next achievement, which gained for him the Victoria Cross, was at Beaucourt in France where he led the attack and though wounded rallied his men and consolidated positions. He was wounded four times before leaving the line. He rejoined his regiment last March when he was promoted to the rank of Brigadier General in command of the 173 Infantry Brigade. [AWN 11.10.1917]

FRICKER, Sergeant Harry Ernest, is the youngest son of Mr. W Fricker of Picton Street. Sergeant Fricker, who is 32 years of age, left with the Main Body of the NZEF and after serving for four months on Gallipoli was invalided to England. While there he was touring for some time with the NZ football team, after which he proceeded to France. Prior to enlisting, he was an enthusiastic League footballer, being a member of the Ponsonby United team. By occupation he was a house decorator, in partnership with his brother. [AWN 05.07.1917]

FROST - There was a large gathering at Te Kuiti for the presentation of the Distinguished Conduct Medal and the Croix de Guerre to the next of kin of the late Sergeant Major FROST who died of wounds received in France. NOK: Thomas FROST, father of the deceased. [AWN 08.03.1917]

FRY, Gunner Leslie, who has died of wounds, was the son of Mrs. Fallon, 36 Bond St, Devonport. He was born in Te Awamutu and educated at Hamilton State and High Schools. Before going to war he was employed by Farmers' Auctioneering Co., Hamilton. He served on Gallipoli and then in France where he was seriously wounded last October and spent 8 months in hospital in England, after which he returned to France. His brother, Sydney FRY, 5th Reinforcements, also served at Gallipoli and is now in France. Mrs. Fallon's husband, Private J FALLON, went to the Front as a member of the 22nd Reinforcements. [AWN 16.08.1917]