Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

ILBERT, Private Geoffrey Arthur, killed in action in France on 28 February, was an Auckland Grammar School boy and the youngest son of the late Mr. Owen Ilbert, classical master of the school. He left NZ in January 1915 and was attached to the Wellington Infantry Battalion. After a few months' service in Egypt he was transferred to the Army Service Corps. Afterwards he was transferred to the NZ Veterinary Corps and remained with that unit till it was disbanded. At the time of his death he was acting as battalion stretcher-bearer in the Auckland Infantry. He was 33 years of age. [AWN 29.03.1917]

ISAACS, Lieutenant Cyril, aged ?29, killed in action in France on 4 October, left with the Advance Guard for Samoa in August 1914. He returned in April 1915 and joined the 4th Reinforcements for Gallipoli and France, obtaining his stripes in due course. Last April he was recommended for a commission, which he obtained by examination two months later. He came to Auckland from Bath about four years ago. Before enlistment he was employed at Messrs Milne & Choyce Ltd. [AWN 18.10.1917]

ISRAEL, Corporal L L C, died of wounds, was the eldest son of Mr. E A F Israel, Gisborne. Enlisting early in the campaign, he went to Gallipoli as record sergeant, subsequently being sent to Aldershot, where he qualified as bayonet instructor. He returned to France in May. He was a nephew of Mr. J W Israel, Auditor-General of the Commonwealth and the late Mr. G C Israel, manager of the Bank of NZ, Dunedin. [AWN 25.10.1917

JACKSON - The next of kin of Arthur B JACKSON, A.I., reported wounded on 3 December, is his wife, Mrs. M Jackson, Richmond St, Ponsonby. [AWN 27.12.1917]

JACOBSON, Lance Corporal E R of the Wellington Infantry, was killed in action on 4 October. He was a representative hockey player in both Auckland and Wellington and had the reputation of being one of the cleverest and most resourceful players in the Dominion. [AWN 25.10.1917

JEFFREY, Private R, of Dunedin, who has received the DCM, was a member of the 3rd Reinforce-ments. He was twice wounded at Gallipoli but remained on the peninsula until the evacuation. Conspicuous bravery in rescuing wounded at the battle of the Somme was the action by which he won the award. He was finally wounded just before the battle of Messines. [AWN 01.11.1917]

JEFFS, Sergeant Arthur Henry, the second son of Mr. S G Jeffs of Devonport and late of Hamilton, Waikato, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry on the field of action and recommended for a commission. Sergeant Jeffs, who is now in England training for his commission, enlisted in the Main Body and saw service at Gallipoli, Egypt and France, being slightly wounded at Gallipoli. Prior to enlisting he was in the service of the Education Board, being head teacher at Piarere School near Hinuera. Mr. Jeffs has another son on active service, a lance corporal in the artillery, who has been on the western front for the last 12 months. [AWN 20.12.1917]

JENNINGS, A G, Lieutenant, Northumberland Fusiliers, has been awarded the Military Cross. He is the only surviving son of Mr. W T Jennings, MP, New Plymouth. At the opening of the battle of Arras, he was the only officer left in charge of the company. He assumed command of the remnants and managed to knock out a German machine gun crew and to capture the gun. This gun was holding up the attack and had stopped two parties who had previously tried to get it. Mr. Jennings was a Main Body NZEF man and was invalided from Gallipoli with shell shock. He received his commission at the beginning of this year. [AWN 02.08.1917]

JENNINGS, Lieutenant A G, Northumberland Fusiliers, son of Mr. W T Jennings, MP, was seriously wounded on 28 August and is now in the Rouen Hospital. He is the third son of the member for Taumarunui. He went away with the Main Expeditionary Force and after serving in Gallipoli and France obtained a commission. He won the Military Cross about two months ago. Mr. Jennings has lost two sons in the war. [AWN 13.09.1917]

JOHANSON, Private W O, killed in action on 4 October, was the youngest son of Mrs. M Johanson of Te Kuiti and a brother of Mrs. Higham of Takapuna. He enlisted two years ago at the age of 17. He was serving in the artillery. [AWN 01.11.1917]

JOHNS, Lieutenant W H, Auckland Mounted Rifles, killed in action at Beersheba, was a son of Mr. J Johns of Pukekohe. He was born and educated at Te Awamutu. He was a student at the Auckland Training College for some time and at the time of his enlistment in the Main Body he was engaged in teaching at Te Awamutu. He went away as a trooper in the 4th Waikato Mounted Rifles and was wounded at Gallipoli in August 1915. He was mentioned in despatches for the excellence of his work on that occasion. He was invalided home and before returning to the front gained his commission as a second lieutenant. He left on this occasion as a machine-gun officer. He was prominent in hockey circles and had represented the Auckland Province and Waipa. He was married shortly before leaving for the front on the second occasion. A younger brother was wounded in Flanders recently. Another brother is at present in camp with a reinforcement draft. [AWN 15.11.1917]

JOHNS, Corporal A Clive, killed in action, was the youngest son of Mr. J Johns of Te Awamutu and was 23 years of age. He was born at Pukekohe and was educated at the Pukekohe High School, the Auckland Grammar School and the University College. Before enlisting he was on the staff of L D Nathan & Co. for five years. Cpl Johns was well known in hockey and tennis circles, having been a member of the Mt Eden Hockey Club, secretary of the Auckland Hockey Assn and an Auckland representative player in 1914. He also belonged to the Auckland Tennis Club. A brother, Lieutenant W H JOHNS, was wounded at Gallipoli, returned to NZ and is now back in Egypt. [AWN 12.07.1917]

JOHNS, Private Clive - Official advice was received on Monday by Mr. Walter Johns of Pukekohe, stating that his brother was not killed as was reported, but was wounded in the shoulder and is now in a hospital in France, progressing satisfactorily. [AWN 05.07.1917]

JOHNSON, Private Arthur, son of Mr. J Johnson, Great North Road, Archhill, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry on the field of action. He received his primary education under Mr. A S Webber of Newton West School and joined his uncles' firm Beaney & Sons. He enlisted immediately on the outbreak of war, going with the main body to Egypt as a Driver in the Army Service Corps but just before leaving Egypt for France he transferred into the infantry. He was wounded by a bomb in the British offensive in September last. He was a member of the Auckland Rowing Club and was keenly interested in all athletic sports. [AWN 22.03.1917]

JOHNSTON, Corporal A H, second son of Inspector J Johnston of the Auckland Police Force is amongst those recently awarded the Military Medal for gallant conduct at Messines. He, together with a number of other soldiers, took in running wires from the front line across No Man's Land and within 300 yards of the enemy's front trench. A party of 14 under Sgt TURNER of Christchurch who shortly afterwards was killed. Four men, including JOHNSON, remained on duty, repairing the wires as they were broken by shell fire for a total continuous period of 48 hrs. [AWN 13.09.1917]

JOHNSTON, Brigadier General F E, C.B., Commander of the 1st NZ Infantry Brigade, has been killed by a sniper in France. He was the eldest son of Hon C J Johnston, Speaker of the Legislative Council. He was born in Wellington in 1871and joined the Prince of Wales North Staffordshire Regt as a Second Lieutenant in 1891 and became a Major in 1911. He married the daughter of the late A G Fell, Wellington, who followed him to Egypt and died there a few months afterwards. His brother Lieutenant Octavius JOHNSTON, British Army, was killed on the Western Front. His brother in law, Major LEVIN, NZEF, was killed at Gallipoli and his sister, Mrs. LEVIN, died some months later. [AWN 16.08.1917]

JONES, Sergeant Len., youngest son of Mr.. H Jones, Onehunga, has been admitted to the Walton on Thames Hospital suffering from dysentery. At the outbreak of war he was one of the first to enlist. He was wounded in the first landing at Gallipoli and shortly afterwards had a nearly fatal attack of dysentery and enteric. Prior to enlisting he was on the mail staff of the GPO. [AWN 03.05.1917]

JONES, Gunner J A, NZFA, son of Mr. T A Jones, Crummer Road, has been awarded the Military Medal. He was previously employed in a surveyor's office in the City. Private Roger JONES, was killed in action on the Somme on 22 September, when bringing in wounded from the first line trenches. [AWN 29.03.1917]

JORY, 2nd Lieutenant N A, aged 21, Auckland University College and Auckland candidate for the Rhodes Scholarship, is in Featherston Camp with the 34th Reinforcements. He is the son of Rev D J Jory of Birkenhead. He was educated at Auckland Grammar School and was a member of the team of rifle shots who went to Natal shooting for the school in 1913. His most notable scholastic achievement was getting first place in the junior scholarship examination for NZ. Also the Gillies Scholarship at the AUC, besides two NZ University senior scholarships for chemistry and physics respectively. [AWN 15.11.1917]

JOY, Rifleman John, son of Mrs. W G Joy, 79 Crummer Rd, Grey Lynn, has been severely wounded and admitted to hospital. He enlisted in the 14th Reinforcements. Three of Mrs. Joy's sons are on active service and two have been wounded. [AWN 27.12.1917]

KAA, Lieutenant Pekama Rongoaia, who recently died of wounds in France, was a descendant of a notable line of Maori warriors of the Ngatiporou tribe. He was educated at the Rangitukia school where he won the Makanui scholarship. Two years later he entered the Dept of Agriculture. He enlisted in the first Maori Contingent and was given a commission in the Second Contingent. He was fatally wounded while directing the movements of the Ngatiporou platoons. [AWN 20.09.1917]

KAIPARA, Lieutenant A P, who has been killed in action, was a well known footballer, being recognised as one of the best five eighths players in NZ. For many years he played for Poverty Bay and on two occasions represented the North Island against the South Island. As a member of the Maori team which toured Australia, he earned the name of the 'indiarubber man'. He was a law clerk by occupation. [AWN 23.08.1917]

KAVANAGH, Sergeant, killed in action in France, was the youngest son of Mrs. C Kavanagh of Grey Lynn and was born at Mauku. He was a member of one of the contingents in the South African war. Two years ago he enlisted in the Rifle Brigade and had been on active service in France until the time of his death. He was a keen sportsman, being considered one of Auckland's best cricket and hockey representatives. Prior to his enlistment he was engaged in the building trades in the Mauku district. His brother Cecil KAVANAGH, has been wounded once but is now in the firing line in France. [AWN 20.09.1917]

Miss KAVANAGH of Dublin St, Ponsonby, has been advised that Sergeant L P KAVANAGH, who was seriously wounded in the right leg on 31 July, is progressing satisfactorily. He left in the 17th Reinforcements. He is cousin to Sergeant V C KAVANAGH, who was killed in action on 9 October, also to Private Cecil KAVANAGH, now in the firing line. [AWN 13.09.1917]

KAY, Major W, one of the senior masters of the Beresford Street school, while serving with the NZ Rifle Brigade, was wounded on 9 November and admitted to a French hospital on 12 November. After remaining there for five days he was sent across the Channel and placed in a hospital in Chelsea. It was found that he was suffering from shell shock and that the drum of his left ear was fractured. A cable message received by Mrs. Kay announces that her husband was admitted to the Brockenhurst Hospital on 29 December suffering from deafness. [AWN 25.01.1917]

KEAM, Corporal S J (Jim), killed in action 7 June, was the youngest son of Mr. Samuel Keam of Welcome Bay, Tauranga. He was born at Brunnerton 29 years ago. He was farming in the Bay of Plenty district prior to his enlistment last year. He was an active member of the Tauranga Methodist Church, being one of its local preachers. [AWN 26.07.1917]

KEANEY, Rifleman Patrick Hugh, who died of wounds received in action on 7 March, was born at Ararimu South and was educated at the Ararimu school. He followed farming occupations for several years and then took up his residence in the Gisborne district, where he was a contractor. His brother, Garrett, was at latest advices, in the Canadian Hospital at Boulogne. [AWN 29.03.1917]

KELIGHER, P J, Captain, who has been killed in action, was educated at the Christian Brothers School, Dunedin. He was staff officer in charge of Otago group before leaving NZ with one of the later reinforcements. He was 23 years of age and was of magnificent physique, standing 6ft 3ins and weighing between 15 & 16 stone. [AWN 30.08.1917]

KELLAND - Advice has been received by Mrs. M J Kelland of Taumarunui of the death at the front of her third son, J B KELLAND, one of three brothers who went to the front. He was a good all round sport and a crack horseman and also showed ability as a boxer. In this department of sport he won two championships in Auckland and he was the Taumarunui representative at the NZ championship meetings. He took a keen interest in football. At his medical examination subsequent to enlisting, he is said to have been considered the most physically fit and perfect man to volunteer from Taumarunui. His two brothers, W J and R C KELLAND are in the mounted forces. The three brothers were partners in a business at Taumarunui, which they sold in order to volunteer for the front. [AWN 17.02.1917]

KELLY, Nurse Ruby J, who was for nearly two years serving at the Walton on Thames Hospital, and later at the front in France, is reported by cablegram to have been admitted into a hospital in France suffering from a slight illness. She was for about five years on the staff of the Auckland Public Hospital. [AWN 20.09.1917]

KEMP, Lieutenant C G, M.B., R.A.M.C., attached to the Northampton Regt, is the youngest son of Dr W G Kemp, well known in Wellington, He is an old boy of Wanganui College and at the time war was declared was in practice at St Albans, Herts. He worked unceasingly for two days under very heavy fire and succeeded in evacuating a large number of wounded. He displayed great courage and determination throughout the operations. [AWN 31.05.1917]

KEMPTHORNE, Lieutenant Harold, son of Archdeacon Kempthorne of Nelson, killed in action in France on 24 August was an old Nelson Collegian and joined the Eastern Extension Telegraph service after leaving school. When he enlisted he was the owner of a farm in the Waikato. He leaves a widow. [AWN 13.09.1917]

KENNEDY, Corporal Daniel A, Main Body, son of Mrs. D Kennedy of Carrick Place, Dominion Road, Has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry at Messines. Her nephew Corporal James McLEOD has also been awarded the Military Medal for distinguished service in the same engagement. He was employed at the Sugar Works before leaving for the Front. [AWN 13.09.1917]

KENNEDY, Private James, killed in action, was a son of Mr. & Mrs. W Kennedy of Keith St, Wanganui. He left in the 20th Reinforcements. He volunteered early in the war but was rejected. Some months later he enlisted in Taihape and was accepted for active service. [AWN 29.11.1917]

KER, J, Private, and KER, E, Private, both of the Rifle Brigade, are sons of Mr. John Ker, principal warder of Mt Eden Prison. They were at the Grafton Road School, the former subsequently being engaged in farming and the latter employed as a steward by the Northern S.S. Co. [AWN 02.08.1917]

KEVEN, Company Sergeant Major J H Harry, killed in France on 7 June, left as a Private with the Mounted Brigade. He went through the Gallipoli campaign and the Somme battle and met his death on the first day of the Messines offensive. He is the second son of Mr. F N Keven, Regent St, Waihi. He was to have returned to NZ at an early date for a commission. [AWN 05.07.1917]

KEYMER, Corporal George Edward, son of Mr. W Keymer of Waimamaku formerly of Mt Eden and Birkdale, who left with the 24th Reinforcement draft in the Auckland Infantry was killed in action on 12 October. Corporal Keymer, who was in his 22nd year, was educated at the Birkdale school and Technical College and was a carpenter by trade. [AWN 08.11.1917]

KEYMER, Corporal G E, killed in action, was the second son of Mr. W Keymer of Waimamaku. He was born in Auckland and educated at the Richmond Road School and Grammar School and Technical College. He later served his time as an apprentice to Mr. F Robinson, builder, Birkenhead. Previous to going to the front he worked in the Waikato. [AWN 15.11.1917]

KEYS, Sapper Percy Leonard, son of Mr. B H Keys, late Superintendent of the Telegraph Dept. at Dunedin, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in France. He fought through Gallipoli campaign and left with the NZ forces for France where he has been ever since. [AWN 01.02.1917]

KING, Lieutenant Colonel George A, late of Hamilton, who has been killed in action, was a native of Canterbury and was educated there, being an old Christ's College boy. He formerly was engaged in farming in the northern part of the South Island. On the institution of the territorial system he was appointed adjutant to the 4th, Waikato, Mounted Rifles. Subsequently he was promoted to the charge of No.4 group and he held this position on the outbreak of war, when he immediately volunteered for active service. He left NZ as staff captain in the Mounted Rifle Brigade. He went through the Gallipoli campaign and was wounded there. When the troops returned from Gallipoli to Egypt, Colonel King was placed in charge of the Maori Pioneer Force and so far as latest advices show he held that position until the time of his death. He was the holder of the DSO and also a French decoration. He leaves a wife and two children. [AWN 01.11.1917]

KING - The late Lieutenant Colonel G A KING, DSO, Croix de Guerre, of the NZ Staff Corps, son of Mr. & Mrs. George King, New Plymouth, was born in 1885. In 1911 he joined the NZ Staff Corps as lieutenant and was appointed adjutant, 4th, Waikato, Mounted Rifles, and group commander No.4 Group, Auckland District, in October 1913. In August 1914, he was appointed staff captain to the NZ Rifle Brigade. Leaving with the main body, he served in Egypt and Gallipoli and was appointed second in command of the Auckland Mounted Rifles, with the rank of major and re-transferred to staff captain NZ Mounted Rifles in October 1915. On 1 March 1916 the deceased soldier was given command of the NZ Pioneer Battalion in France with the rank of lieutenant-colonel and he served with this battalion through the Somme and Messines battles. In August last he was appointed to command the First Battalion, Canterbury Infantry Regt, and it was while serving with this regiment that he was killed in action on 12 October. Lieutenant-Colonel King leaves a widow and two children who reside at Central Terrace, Kelburn. [AWN 22.11.1917]

KING, Private L C, Australian Forces, eldest son of Mr.. W J King, Ohaeawai, has died of wounds while a prisoner of war in Germany. [AWN 03.05.1917]

KNIGHT, Gunner Archibald P, MGC, died of wounds, was the youngest son of Mr. C J Knight, chief warder, Mt Eden Prison. He was 20 years of age and was educated in Wellington. Prior to enlisting he was employed in the railway service. [AWN 19.07.1917]

KING, Lieutenant Lionel Lytton, killed in action in France on 4 October, left NZ as 2nd Lieutenant and advice was subsequently received of his promotion on the field to the rank of 1st Lieutenant. Before going on active service he was manager of the Happy Valley Station, Wellington, but was previously farming in the Waikato district where he was widely known. He took an active interest in the affairs of the district and was appointed a justice of the peace. He joined the 16th, Waikato, Regt but on going to Wellington transferred to the 6th, Wellington, Mounted Rifles. He was the only son of Mr. M A King of Happy Valley and was born and educated in NZ. [AWN 25.10.1917

KIRKWOOD, Another fighting family is that of Mrs. Kirkwood of Turama Road, Onehunga, whose four sons have responded to the call of King and country. The youngest, Private R G KIRKWOOD, served with the first Expeditionary Force in Samoa and was discharged after nine months' service. Private W J KIRKWOOD enlisted with the reinforcements and is now somewhere in France. Sub Lieutenant R A KIRKWOOD, the eldest son, and Sub Lieutenant M S KIRKWOOD, have been accepted for the Motor-boat Patrol Service. [AWN 11.01.1917]

KNIGHT, Driver Norman Leslie, of the Artillery, killed in action, was the only son of Mr. J Knight of St Johns Avenue, Epsom, and late of Woodside, Hamilton. He was born at Palmerston North and educated at Hamilton and St Johns Collegiate School, Onehunga. After leaving school he was two years in the Bank of Australasia, Hamilton, afterwards taking up a sheep and cattle station at Whangarei where he remained until he enlisted in May 1916. He was 27 years of age. [AWN 20.09.1917]

KNIGHT, Captain Cedric L, awarded the Military Cross, is the son of Dr A O Knight of Epsom. He is now only 23 years of age and was born and educated at Elstow, Bedford. Prior to enlisting in one of the first reinforcements, he was at the Auckland University studying engineering. After being on Gallipoli for some time, he was wounded and invalided to England. He quickly recovered and went to France, where he has been ever since. It is only recently that he sat for his captaincy and he is believed to be one of the youngest captains in the NZ Forces. A letter was received from his commander by Dr Knight speaking in praiseworthy terms of Captain Knight's services. Captain Knight was an enthusiastic footballer, being a member of the University Club. [AWN 12.07.1917]

KNYVETT, F B, Major, D.S.O., R.F.A. (Auckland), has been wounded. He was gas-poisoned and has been in hospital at Boulogne but he has been discharged fit for duty and has returned to his division. He had lost a section of his men and was helping to get the wounded to a dressing station when a gas shell exploded at his feet. The men who were with him have since died from the effects of the gas, so Major Knyvett had a very narrow escape. He has now been five times wounded - four times in France and once in South Africa. In addition to the D.S.O. conferred on the occasion of the King's Birthday, Major Knyvett has twice been mentioned in despatches. [AWN 02.08.1917]

LANG, Lieutenant W R, a Military Cross winner, is the elder son of Mrs. Charles Lang of Waipu. He left NZ as a second lieutenant in the 9th Reinforcements, was promoted to first lieutenant after the Battle of the Somme and received his decoration for distinguished work at the capture of Messines. He was appointed temporary captain in August. [AWN 08.11.1917]

LEES, Private John Edward, son of Mr.. T W Lees of Onehunga, has been killed in action while serving with the Canadians. Private Lees, who was just over 21 years of age, enlisted in Canada. Mr.. Lees' other son William is also serving with the Canadians in France. [AWN 31.05.1917]

LEGG, Rifleman R, killed in action on 19 August, was a native of London. He came to Auckland about three years before the outbreak of war and prior to enlisting in the 11th Reinforcements was employed as a baker on the steamer Monowai. His father, Mr. J Legg, is one of the foremen in the Vickers aeroplane works, in London. A brother, Sergeant F LEGG, who was wounded at Mons, has been serving with the Imperial force since the beginning of the war. [AWN 27.09.1917]

LESLIE - When a NZ hospital ship was at Tahiti, one of the wounded men on board, Sergeant Roy J LESLIE of Onehunga, died and was buried with military honours. The English residents will look after the tombstone and supply flowers. The Governor of Tahiti provided a burial plot and expressed his intention of erecting a suitable monument. The English Consul has written to the NZ government asking it to provide a brass plate with the name and inscription and the government has replied promising to do this, thanking the government of Tahiti and asking for copies of photographs of the grave. [AWN 22.11.1917]

LEVINGE, Lance Corporal Henry M T T, NZ Rifle Brigade, who was killed in action on 17 March, was a son of Staff Surgeon H Levinge and a member of a family which has been fighting for the British flag since the days of the Crusades. He took part in the Somme battle and came through it with only a scratch on the cheek from a shrapnel bullet. Deceased was the third member of the Levinge family to give his life in the present war. The first to fall was Sir Richard Levinge, Bart., of Knockdrin Castle, Mullingar, Ireland, which has been the seat of the Levinge family for 200 years. Sir Richard was in the First Life Guards. Another, a lieutenant in the Imperial Army, was killed eight months ago. Dr Levinge has received a letter from a comrade of his son's in the Rifle Brigade, expressing the warm sympathy of the corps in his loss. The writher says: "We appreciated to the full his soldierly qualities and unselfish nature as he was so keen and patriotic. He seemed rather sad and disappointed lately at the continuation of somewhat monotonous trench warfare. He died as a gallant soldier on the field of honour, in a part of the country where most honour is to be obtained. To die in the front line trench, facing the inhuman wretches, as we know them, unflinchingly, is honourable to the last degree and he was killed instantaneously, being struck by a piece of shell in the right forehead.....He is buried in one of the military cemeteries in an old forest behind the trenches." [AWN 31.05.1917]

LEVINGE, Lance Corporal Henry Marcus Tenison Tiute, killed in action in France on 17 March, was the only son of Dr H M Levinge, now of Ruawai, Northern Wairoa, aged 25. At the age of 16 he took part in a three months cruise to the Solomon and other Melanesian islands in the mission steamer Southern Cross. Prior to enlistment he was learning sheep farming at Gisborne. He left NZ in May 1916, spent six weeks in Egypt then did a term in Sling Camp before going to the front. He had several scientific hobbies including mechanics, chemistry, photography and music. [AWN 19.04.1917)

LEWIS, Corporal Charles, of Auckland, who enlisted shortly after the outbreak of war has been wounded on three occasions. On 15 August he fell in a charge at Gallipoli and received a second wound as he endeavoured to crawl back to the shelter of the trenches. After being invalided to England he returned to Egypt and was with the Main Body of New Zealanders when it went on from there to France. In the engagements on the Somme he was wounded in the leg but apparently returned to the fighting line quickly, for his name appeared in a more recent list of wounded. He is also reported as having received the Military Medal. Before enlistment he was employed as a steward on the Northern Steamship Co's, vessels. [AWN 08.02.1917]

LEWIS, Gunner G F, killed in action, left with the 13th Reinforcements. He was transferred to the machine gun section on arrival in England. His early childhood was spent in Paraguay in the colony founded by the late Mr. Wm Lane. Since arriving in NZ in 1905 and until his enlistment, he has been engaged in dairy farming at Maungaturoto. [AWN 01.11.1917]

LEYDON, Private Bert E, son of Mr. E Leydon, Sussex St, Grey Lynn, was admitted to the Walton on Thames Hospital on 25 February, suffering from gunshot wounds in the right arm and amputation had been necessary. Prior to his leaving on active service he was employed at the Newmarket railway workshops. He was an enthusiastic footballer and a member of the City Club. In a letter from Bishop Cleary published last week, mention was made of the fact that a fragment of shrapnel fell between him and a young Aucklander. Private Leydon is the Auckland man referred to. [AWN 15.03.1917]

LILEWALL, Fred., Private, killed in action in France on 1 August, aged 32, was the youngest son of Mr. John Lilewall of 254 Karangahape Road. He left NZ in April last and had only just reached the firing line when he met with is death. Prior to enlisting he was employed as an accountant by Messrs Smith & Caughey. [AWN 30.08.1917]

LIVESAY, A remarkable record of service for King and country is that of Sergeant Major Charles LIVESAY and his six sons. Five of them have given their lives. Sergeant Major LIVESAY, although 64, was one of the first in NZ to volunteer for active service. He went to Egypt with the first battalion of the NZ Rifle Brigade and afterwards was drafted to France. He has taken part in the Somme fighting and was recently in London on leave. He was formerly Sergeant Major in the Scots Guards and his service includes the Mashona Rebellion, Matabele War, Boer War and the Zulu Rebellion. Thirty years ago Livesay was in the employment of The Times as commissionaire and afterwards came to NZ to take up sheep farming. His six sons, who were in England at the outbreak of war, all became soldiers and five were killed in the early months. The sixth, who has taken his commission, expects to go to the front shortly. [AWN 11.01.1917]

LIVINGSTONE, Lieutenant R Heaton, South Staffordshire Regt, was wounded during recent heavy fighting in France and is in hospital in London. He was a member of the Main Body, NZEF; he was in Egypt and Gallipoli with the 1st Canterbury Battalion and, as a consequence of severe wounds, he was invalided back to NZ about the end of 1915 and discharged. He obtained his commission in December 1916. During the fighting at Bullecourt he was one of the two officers of the battalion who went right through the attack upon the village itself, which had previously been taken and lost several times and which passed finally into British hands after the attack in May. 2nd Lieutenant Livingstone is now convalescent. [AWN 30.08.1917]

LLOYD, Sergeant Leonard John, who has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, of Auckland, 15th Reinforcements, has been on the western front since early this year. He came to NZ from Llandudno as a boy and took up farming in the Taranaki and Wanganui districts. About five years prior to enlisting he retired and lived privately at Cardwell St, Onehunga, where his wife and two daughters now reside. [AWN 08.11.1917]

LLOYD, Sergeant Leonard J, Cardwell St, Onehunga, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. His wife and two daughters reside at Onehunga. A letter from Major V Howard Baker, 3rd, Auckland, Battalion, says "In the attack on Abraham Heights, he was in charge of his platoon, his officer being one of those left out of the attack. Sgt LLOYD carried out his work in an exemplary manner. He attacked and captured two enemy machine-guns on his own as well as cheering on his men at all times. I feel very proud to have him in my Company. I have recommended him for the DCM." Sgt LLOYD was slightly wounded in the action referred to but was able to remain with his unit. He came to NZ from Llandudno as a boy, and farmed in the Taranaki and Wanganui districts. He enlisted in the 15th Reinforcements, prior to which he had been living privately at Onehunga for five years. He is aged about 42. [AWN 13.12.1917]

LORD, Private Edmond John, aged 21, who has died of acute bronchitis, is the youngest son of Mr. Samuel Lord of Howick and was with the Field Artillery. About 18 months ago while fighting at Gallipoli he received a severe wound in the face and was invalided to England. After recovering he went to France where he served without interruption until his death. [AWN 08.03.1917]

LYES, Trooper Harry Campbell, son of Mr. & Mrs. A Lyes, 12 Newton Rd, Ponsonby, has been wounded in both thighs. He was born in Auckland 28 years ago and was educated at Paeroa. After leaving school he went to sea, at the time of his enlistment occupying the position of Chief Saloon Waiter of the steamer Rarawai. Trooper Lyes, who was previously wounded on Hill 60 was, when he met with his latest mishap, a member of the Camel Corps. [AWN 01.02.1917]

LYES, Private A H C, youngest son of Mr. Albert Lyes, Newton Road, was killed in action in France on 19 April. He was 21 years of age. He had been twice seriously wounded and shortly after returning from his second sojourn in hospital met his death. He was born in Auckland and educated at the Napier Street School. Prior to leaving on active service, he was a saloon steward in the employ of the Northern Steamship Co. [AWN 03.05.1917]

LYES, Trooper Harry Campbell, killed in action, was a son of Mr. Albert Lyes of Newton Road and enlisted in the Auckland Mounted Rifles for one of the earliest reinforcement drafts. Prior to his enlistment he was in the employment of the Northern Steamship Co, on one of its West Coast steamers. Twice before his fatal injury, he was seriously wounded. [AWN 10.05.1917]

LYNCH, Lieutenant Cecil Audley, died of wounds, was the youngest of five brothers who have seen active service. He was educated at the Epsom School and Auckland Grammar School. On leaving school he entered the office of Carr Pountney & Co. He was on the clerical staff of Wingate & Co., Auckland, when he enlisted. He took a keen interest in all military matters and was lieutenant of the 32nd, Auckland, Company of cadets. He left NZ in November last as officer commanding the E Company of the 19th Reinforcements. He declined an offer of a position at Sling Camp, preferring to do his share on the field of battle. [AWN 16.08.1917]