Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

WALKER - A cablegram received recently from Major 'Lal' WALKER of Auckland, who was wounded on 12 October, stated that he expects to be leaving for NZ shortly. Major Walker, who is a son of Mr. Henry Walker of Remuera, was on the staff of the Auckland office of the NZ Insurance Co. prior to the war. He went to Samoa with the Advance Guard as a lieutenant on the outbreak of hostilities. After spending eight months in Samoa he returned to NZ and some time afterward went to the front as a Captain with the first battalion of the Rifle Brigade. He subsequently was promoted and when he was wounded he was second in command of his battalion. Major Walker, who is an old King's College boy, has been wounded in the left hip but it is not anticipated that there will be any permanent disability. [AWN 13.12.1917]

WALL, Private Reuben, lately reported killed in action, was a native of Birmingham, 27 years of age, and arrived in NZ seven years ago. After gaining experience in dairying in the Thames district, he engaged in fruit-growing at Birkdale, but for two years before his enlistment he was employed at the Chelsea sugar works. He left NZ in the infantry in August 1916. His next of kin is not his mother as appeared from the official list, she having died nine years ago, but his brother, Mr. Ernest Wall of Lucas Creek. [AWN 29.02.1917]

WALLACE, Lieutenant L, son of D R Wallace, for many years past closely identified with Hokianga, has been invalided to a French hospital suffering from gas poisoning. He has been with the Artillery since the outbreak of war and this is the first mishap to befall him. In a letter he states that the British Army has such superiority over the German Army that it is now no longer necessary for the artillery to keep their guns hidden. [AWN 12.04.1917]

WARBURTON, Lieutenant Darian, son of Mr. Eliot Warburton, Palmerston North, Royal Flying Corps, is reported missing. He left NZ at the outset of war with the Auckland Mounted Rifles, main body. He was invalided from Gallipoli and afterwards joined the Royal Flying Corps. It is possible he may have been taken prisoner. [AWN 19.04.1917]

WARBURTON, Corporal Bertie Cecil, was, at the time of enlisting, employed by Briscoe & Co, Auckland. His next of kin is Mrs. Bertha Warburton of Penrose. [AWN 06.09.1917]

WARD, Mr. Vincent, second son of Sir Joseph Ward, has obtained a commission in the RNVR. Mr. Ward was in Canada when war broke out and about that time had a nervous breakdown due to over work. He has endeavoured on several occasions to get a commission in the army and was for some time in an officer training camp but was again put on the sick list. He is now an assistant paymaster in the RNVR. Lieutenant Gladstone WARD, A.S.C., Sir Joseph's third son, left England last week for one of the fronts. [AWN 03.05.1917]

WARD, Charles Keith Kilgour, Private, who was killed in action at Flanders on 27 July, 1917, was born at Bulls, Rangitikei, and would have attained his 21st birthday on the 4th of next month. He was an old Nelson College boy and at the time of his enlistment was on the clerical staff of the North British & Hawkes Bay Freezing Co., Napier. He left Napier with the 8th Reinforcements in the infantry and was wounded in July last year. After a brief spell he rejoined his regiment, when he was transferred to the Lewis machine-gun section. Lately he obtained 10 days leave to visit England and had been back in the firing line about a month before he made the supreme sacrifice. He was the grandson of the late Charles Ward of the Customs, Wellington and Christchurch, a Maori War veteran. [AWN 30.08.1917]

WASTNEY, Private Nolan Dyson, killed in action on 9 April, 1917, was the eldest son of the late Mr. Edward Wastney, for some time connected with the National Bank of New Zealand. Private Wastney, whose mother resides at Onerahi, was only 22 years of age when he met his death as a member of the Australian Expeditionary Force. [AWN 10.05.1917]

WATERS, Sergeant Rupert L, who is reported wounded, is a son of Captain Waters of Clevedon. Private advice has been received that he is seriously ill in El Arish Hospital with gunshot wounds in the left arm. Only a month or two ago he was discharged from hospital, having received gunshot wounds in his right arm at the engagement at Gaza. His younger brother, Sergeant Mervyn L WATERS, sailed and served with him on Gallipoli and in the Egyptian campaign until killed in action at El Romani. [AWN 29.11.1917]

WATSON, Lieutenant (Temporary Captain) W, awarded the Military Cross, is the son of Mr. William Watson, a well-known Wellington businessman and a director of the Bank of NZ. Prior to enlistment, Captain Watson was engaged in farming at Rangiriri. His wife is a daughter of Mrs. Robert Browning of Arney Rd, Remuera. He left NZ with a reinforcement draft in 1915, arriving in time to see service on Gallipoli and afterwards proceeding to France with the NZ force. [AWN 12.07.1917]

WATTS, Rifleman T A, who was killed on the front, was a brother of Mrs. A R Watson of Te Puke. She has now received a letter from Captain Drummond of the NZ Rifle Brigade in which the following reference to her brother is made: Rifleman T A Watts was killed during the heavy fighting on the Somme during the advance of the NZ troops. We were advancing under very heavy machine-gun and artillery fire and he was killed by a bomb which exploded in the pocket of the man next to him which had evidently been struck by a machine-gun bullet, killing three men, including your brother, and wounding some others. He was buried on the spot where he so nobly gave his life for his King and country. I saw that a cross was erected. Unfortunately we are now several miles away from the scene of that heavy fighting and we cannot see to the graves of our brave lads who fell during the big advance. [AWN 05.04.1917]

WEBB - The fruit growing community in particular has sustained a severe loss in the death of the late Sergeant T C WEBB, who has recently been reported killed in action in France. Before he enlisted he was an officer of the Orchards Division of the Dept of Agriculture. He carried out the arduous duties of secretary of the National Apple Show held in Wellington in 1916 and his work in this connection had much to do with the successful inauguration of the NZ Fruitgrowers' Federation. The Department devoted Mr. Webb's services to this work alone for some considerable time and he generously spent the great part of his own leisure time to it for many weeks and was untiring in his efforts to make it a success. [AWN 08.11.1917]

WEBBER, G, M.G. Corps, Imperial Regiment. Described as of Auckland, previously reported wounded, now reported died of wounds. Mr. G K Webber, an artist, came to England in 1913 and on the outbreak of war enlisted in the Royal Fusiliers, crossing to France in 1915. [AWN 31.05.1917]

WEST Corporal Herbert J, who was killed in action on 4 October, left NZ with the 14th Reinforcements. He was the eldest son of Mr. Frank N West of Kingsland. [AWN 08.11.1917]

WEST, Major, had a narrow escape from death on the occasion of his being wounded recently in France. His wounds, which were caused by a bursting shell, included injuries to the jawbone, a broken rib and arm, and various body wounds. He is now out of danger. This was Major West's second experience of this kind as he received a bullet through the neck on the 'Daisy Patch' , Gallipoli, and only the unremitting attention of famous English surgeons prevented the loss of his voice. He rejoined the forces in France about nine months ago and rapidly rose to the rank of major. Before joining the Main Body, Major West, who is a Master of Laws, was in the office of Buddle Richmond & Buddle of Auckland. [AWN 19.07.1917]

WHITE, Sergeant John T, serving with the Australia Imperial Forces, has been wounded for the third time. He is the son of Mrs. E J White of Ngunguru and late of Karangahake. His only brother, Gunner E S WHITE, is serving in France, having left NZ last year. [AWN 05.07.1917]

WHITE, Lance Corporal Cyril J, of Stanley Bay, who was wounded on 4 October, was awarded the Military Medal for gallantry on the field of action. He volunteered in August 1915 and left with the 8th Reinforcements. Since reaching the front he has been almost continuously in the trenches and has taken part in several battles. Prior to enlisting he was in the office of the London & Liverpool & Globe Insurance Co. and before joining that company was in the employ of the Royal Insurance Co. for some years. [AWN 20.12.1917]

WHITEHOUSE, Signaller Cyril H, killed in action on 8 June at Messines, was the eldest son of Mr. Joseph J Whitehouse, Matatoki, Thames Valley. He was educated at the Puriri and Kopu schools and afterwards engaged in farming. He left with the 7th Reinforcements and won the Military Medal during the battle of the Somme. He was 22 years of age. [AWN 26.07.1917]

WHITLEY, Arthur Leslie, Machine-Gun Corps, fifth son of Mr. W S Whitley, wounded on 5 August, is reported as seriously ill. He left with the 7th Reinforcements. His eldest brother, Ernest George WHITLEY, is serving with the 15th Reinforcements. [AWN 13.09.1917]

WHITMORE, Captain F N, awarded the Military Cross for gallantry in the Battle of Messines, was farming at Nukutawhiti prior to his enlistment. He served in the South African war as an Imperial officer and upon his arrival in the Whangarei district was given a commission in the territorial forces. He went to the front as a lieutenant. His wife is living at Greymouth. [AWN 12.07.1917]

WHITTEM, Private James H, killed in action on 9 August, was the second son of the late Robert Whittem and Mrs. Whittem of Wellington. He was educated at the Napier High School and then took up farming at Braeburn (Murchisan District) and enlisted from there, leaving with the 19th Reinforcements. [AWN 20.09.1917]

WILKIE, Private R A, who has been awarded the Military Medal for distinguished conduct at the battle of Messines, is the only son of Mr. & Mrs. Wilkie, Baildon Rd, Grey Lynn, and is 21 years of age. He was born and educated at Portsmouth, England and came to NZ about four years ago. He enlisted in 1915 as a signaller in the Auckland Mounted Rifles but upon arrival in Egypt obtained a transfer to the Otago Infantry, in order to get to the firing line. Although he has been some time in the trenches and went through the Somme and Messines battles, he has so far escaped uninjured. [AWN 19.07.1917]

WILKIE, Private R A, reported wounded and suffering from the effects of gas poisoning, is a son of Mrs. R A Wilkie, Baildon Rd, Grey Lynn. He was recently awarded the Military Medal for gallantry at Messines. [AWN 19.07.1917]

WILKINSON, Acting Sergeant Major Charles Te Kiwi, whose death in action was reported last week, was born at Otorohanga in 1893 and was a son of the late Mr. G T Wilkinson, Judge of the Native Land Court. He received his education at the Otorohanga School and later at King Edward's College, Auckland. He was a keen athlete and took an interest in all sport. He joined an early reinforcement as a private, saw service on Gallipoli and was present at the evacuation. Then he was drafted to France. On 20 April he received wounds, which resulted in his death. [AWN 10.05.1917]

WILKINSON - Still another Hastings boy has made the supreme sacrifice. Mr. F C Wilkinson of Southampton St, Hastings, was advised by the Minister of Defence that his brother, Private A V WILKINSON, had died of wounds on 20 October. The late private enlisted at Hastings with the 22nd Reinforcements and, prior to this, held the position of secretary to the Hastings firm of Lowe's Ltd. He was the second son of Mr. E Wilkinson of Gisborne where he was well known. About three years ago he married Nurse BARKER who died 12 months ago at the Napier Hospital. [AWN 08.11.1917]

WILLEY, Private E A, son of W Willey, 25 France St, was wounded on 21 February. He was born in Napier, educated at Newton East School and attached to the Machine-Gun Section under Lieutenant Colonel A PLUGGE. Prior to enlisting, Private Willey was in the employ of Messrs A & T Burt Ltd. His brother is now in camp. A cousin lost his life on board the Defiance in the Jutland battle and another was killed in France on the same date. Yet another cousin is on board the Australia and others are attached to the Army Medical Corps and the Army Service Corps in France. [AWN 15.03.1917]

WILLIAMS, Private Laurie S, who has won the Distinguished Conduct Medal, is 23 years of age and the third son of Mr. T R Williams, butcher, Russell, where he was born. He was a Sergeant in the Territorials and left NZ with the 17th Reinforcements. Two brothers are on active service. [AWN 12.07.1917]

WILLIAMS, Captain (Ty Major) Owen W, awarded the Military Cross, is the fourth son of the Rev W J Williams of Sumner. He is a Master of Arts of the NZ University and before enlisting was for five years one of the masters at the Wellington Boys' College. He left NZ with the Rifle Brigade in January 1916. For a time he was on the staff at Sling Camp. In the engagement at Messines he was wounded but not seriously. One of his brothers, Private B V Williams, was killed. [AWN 19.07.1917]

WILLIAMSON, Private Harold, reported missing in February last, was killed in a raid and was buried by the Germans south of Grenier Wood on 21 February. The deceased was a son of Mrs. M H Williamson of Campbell Road, Green Lane and was in his 31st year. He enlisted with an early reinforcement and was subsequently drafted into the NZ Rifle Brigade. [AWN 19.07.1917]

WILLIAMSON, Sapper James, NZ Engineer Tunnelling Corps, son of Mrs. H W Brierly, Normanby Road, Auckland, has been awarded the Military Cross for gallant conduct. He has been at the front for two years and earned his distinction by going out with an English officer of the British Forces. The incident occurred in a shower of shrapnel. He also has a brother at the front. [AWN 26.07.1917]

WILES, Henry M, Signaller, aged 32, who has been killed in action in Egypt, left NZ at the end of last year. He was a native of Wairarapa. He was for 8 years an operator in the Auckland Telegraph Office. His wife resides in Prospect Tce, Mt Eden. [AWN 02.08.1917]

WILLOUGHBY, Gunner R J, NZFA, died of wounds in France on 22 March 1917. He joined the Garrison Artillery at Fort Cautley in January 1915 and enlisted in the Expeditionary Force in January 1916. He has served in Egypt and France. [AWN 26.04.1917]

WILSON, Gunner E W M, better known as Wray WILSON, was killed in action in France on 21 March. He was born at Whangarei 22 years ago. He was the son of Andrew Wilson, District Surveyor, King Country. At the outbreak of war he was farming at Hangatiki and tried to enlist at the outset but was too young. Having enlisted in August 1915, he left NZ in January 1916 as a Trooper. In Egypt he transferred to the Divisional Ammunition Camp and went to France with the Anzacs. He took part in the Somme advance and joined the Trench Mortar Battery in December last. He was an all round sport and a splendid horseman. [AWN 19.04.1917]

WILSON, Lance Corporal H T, killed in action, was the second son of Mr. G S Wilson, Ipswich, England. At the time of enlistment he was dairy farming in North Auckland. His youngest brother, who was on service, returned to England some time ago, owing to shell shock and another is still at the front. At the time of his death LANCE Corporal Wilson was in charge of a Lewis machine gun. Two cousins were killed in France, one was wounded, two are still at the front, whilst three are engaged in military operations in England. [AWN 26.07.1917]

WILSON, Lance Corporal Reginald, who was recently awarded the Military Medal for bravery at Messines, is the fifth son of Mr. Robert Wilson, 27 Sale St, Freemans Bay. He was educated at Napier Street school and Auckland Grammar School and enlisted in the Medical Corps, Main Body when aged 18. He took part in the fighting on the Suez Canal and Gallipoli, was wounded on the Peninsula and invalided to Malta. He returned to Egypt and later went to France. [AWN 27.09.1917]

WILSON, Private William, severely wounded in the right arm and also wounded in the left leg and thigh on 17 August, is the second son of Mr. N Wilson of Pukekohe. He left with the 19th Reinforcements. His brother, Private Arthur WILSON, who left with the 20th draft, is now at the front. [AWN 20.09.1917]

WILSON, Private Harry W, of the Machine-gun Corps, who was killed in action in Palestine last month, was a son of Mr. J E Wilson of Clevedon. An elder brother, Sergeant Douglas WILSON of the Main Body, of the Auckland Mounted Rifles, was killed on Gallipoli. [AWN 29.11.1917]

WINKLEY, Corporal J R, who has been wounded and who also has been awarded the Military Medal, is the only son of Mr. T Winkley of Calliope Rd, Devonport. He arrived in Auckland from England 8 years ago. He left NZ early in 1918 and went through the Somme battle. [AWN 19.07.1917]

WINTER-EVANS, Lieutenant Colonel A, killed in action, left NZ with the Rifle Brigade. Prior to joining the Expeditionary Force he held a commission in the Motor Service Corps. He was manager of the Consolidated Goldfields at Reefton. He was awarded the DSO for gallantry at Messines. [AWN 01.11.1917]

WOOD, Captain D L, aged 24, son of C Wood, Christchurch, has been wounded during the recent fighting at El Arish. He was born at Kaikoura and educated at Christ's College and Bedford Grammar School, England. He subsequently attended Lincoln College where he secured diplomas. Before the outbreak of war he was Adjutant of the 1st, Canterbury, Mounted Rifles. When war broke out he was 800 miles from Brisbane in the backblocks of Queensland but he returned to NZ, leaving as a Lieutenant with the early reinforcements, Mounted Rifles Section. He served on Gallipoli until the evacuation, escaping injury. Most of the time he was with the Australians, his shooting skill being utilized in sniping. Later he served in Egypt and was in command of a squadron at the battle of El Romani in August last before being promoted Captain. [AWN 04.01.1917]

WOODFORD, Joseph Edward, Lance Corporal, killed in action, was the son of Mr. Joseph Woodford of Waipiro Bay. He was working at his trade as a blacksmith prior to enlisting at the end of last year. [AWN 02.08.1917]

WOODRUFFE, Trooper Arthur, the son of the late Sergeant Woodruffe of the Auckland Police Force and Mrs. Woodruffe of Waikumete, was killed in action in France. He was serving with the Australian Forces. [AWN 01.02.1917]

WOODRUFFE, Corporal A, who is reported missing since November 14, was a native of Auckland and the eldest son of the late Sergeant Woodruffe of the Armed Constabulary. He served in the South African war, and was an old member of the A Battery. Corporal Woodruffe was a widower and leaves a little girl six years old. [AWN 18.01.1917]

WOOLNOUGH, Private C O, is the eldest son of Mrs. E Blythe of Riverhead. Prior to enlisting he was in the employ of the Riverhead Paper Mills. [AWN 06.09.1917]

WORNER, Corporal G W, killed in action in France, was born in Geraldine and came to Auckland eight years ago. For four years prior to enlisting in the 19th Reinforcements he was a member of the City Fire Brigade. Deceased, who was 30 years of age, was well known as a footballer, having played for the City Rovers and Grafton Athletic clubs. Three years ago he was also a member of the Waitemata Boating Club. His two brothers, Alex and Alfred, left with the 14th Reinforcements. The first-named brother has been killed and the other has been wounded. [AWN 01.11.1917]

WORTH, Sergeant W V, aged 27, who has been awarded the Military Medal, is the son of Mr. W H Worth of Helensville. He left with the Rifle Brigade but has since transferred to the Engineers. He was wounded on the Somme and upon recovery returned to France. He was Chief Clerk in the office of Mr. Stanley Chambers, public accountant. [AWN 08.11.1917]

WRIGHT, Private J W, who has been killed in action, was the second son of Mr. James Wright of Archhill, an employee of the City Council. He was born in Leicestershire, England, and was 28 years of age. With his elder brother he came to Auckland in 1912 and was employed by the firm of Stonex and White, engineers. In October 1915 he enlisted in the Tunnelling Corps, having been a miner in England. When he met his death he was acting as a despatch-rider. Private Wright was well known in cycling circles and was a member of the YMCA. His younger brother is in a training camp. [AWN 05.04.1917]

WRIGHT, Private John D, son of Mrs. M Wright of Te Rapa Rd, Hamilton, has been awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous bravery during the Somme battle. He is aged 24, and farmed at Karamu near Hamilton. He was formerly a resident in Papakura. [AWN 22.02.1917]

WRIGHT, Private John D, son of Mrs. M Wright of Te Rapa Rd, Hamilton, has been awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous bravery during the Somme battle. He is aged 24, and farmed at Karamu near Hamilton. He was formerly a resident in Papakura. [AWN 22.02.1917]

WYNYARD, Lance Corporal John, killed in action, was a member of th3e Maori Contingent. He was well known in Auckland as a keen athlete, being a prominent cricketer, footballer and tennis player, as well as an enthusiastic yachtsman. [AWN 12.07.1917]

YOUNG, Private Alfred, awarded the Military Medal, was the second son of Mrs. M Young, Somerset, England. He was aged 32 and came to NZ when a lad of 19. Prior to enlisting in 1915 he was employed in the Mountain Rimu Co's Timber Mill at Mamaku. [AWN 19.07.1917]

YOUNG, Private Claude, is the elder of the two soldier sons of the late Mr. Claude Young of Hawera and Mrs. A K Young, now of Khyber Pass. He was born at Epsom 24 years ago and was educated at Waikino and Hawera. He was engaged in dairying and farming pursuits. [AWN 19.07.1917] YOUNG, Lance Corporal William James, killed in action on 21 February, was the eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. R Young of Wardville and formerly of Otorohanga. He was born in Cardrona, Otago and educated at Otorohanga. He was 22 years of age at the time of his death. [AWN 29.03.1917]

YOUNG, Lance Corporal William James, reported killed, was the eldest son of Mr. R Young of Wardville, formerly of Otorohanga. He was born in Cardrona, educated at Otorohanga Public School and was 22 years of age when he fell. [AWN 05.04.1917]