Shamere's Home Page



Tribute to Jacqueline Walles

OAKEY, Lieutenant Allan Norman, of the Field Engineers, reported wounded, is 27 years of age and is a son of the late Mr. A H Oakey, who was very well known in Christchurch. [AWN 19.08.1915]

OAKEY, Lieutenant A N, who has been awarded the Military Cross, went to the front with the engineers. He belongs to Christchurch and was formerly associated with the No.1 Field Co., New Zealand Engineers. [AWN 11.11.1915]

O'BRIEN, Trooper William Thomas, of the Wellington Mounted Rifles, who has died of wounds, is the youngest son of Mr. Joseph O'Brien of Lower Riccarton, late of Hokitika. Trooper O'Brien, who was 27 years of age, was born at Hokitika and educated at the Hokitika High School. About three years ago he was transferred to Lower Hutt and when the war broke out he immediately enlisted with the Wellington Mounted Rifles. [AWN 26.08.1915

O'BRIEN, Bugler Martin - Otago Infantry Battalion, who is missing, is the only son of Mr. J A O'Brien, Dowling St, Dunedin. He was on 17 1/2 years of age when he joined the main force and went into camp at Tahuna Camp. [AWN 24.06.1915]

O'BRIEN, Private H E - Whakatane, killed in action at the Dardanelles. He was employed on the Mangatu station at Whatatutu where he was very popular. He formerly belonged to New Plymouth and left Gisborne with the infantry draft in December last. [AWN 24.06.1915]

O'CALLAGHAN, Private Denes William, Wellington Infantry Battalion, who has been killed in action, was the son of Mr. D O'Callaghan, Belfast, Canterbury. He was 32 years of age and spent most of his life at bush felling and road making. For some time he was employed in the King Country. [AWN 09.09.1915]

O'CONNOR, Private (wounded), Distinguished Conduct Medal NOK: Mrs. P O'Connor, Allenton Ashburton (Mother) [AWN 08.07.1915]

O'CONNOR, J B - A former schoolteacher at Waihi, he has been wounded while serving with the first Canadian contingent 'somewhere in Flanders'. Mr. O'Connor left Waihi on a trip round the world and when war broke out joined the Canadian forces. He is the son of Mr. J B O'Connor of Fairlie, South Canterbury. [AWN 22.07.1915]

O'CONNOR, Private F, WIB, Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal for performing distinguished services in the firing line near Krithia on May 8 until severely wounded, losing his right eye. He was previously twice wounded. His gallant example was of great value. [AWN 12.08.1915]

O'GRADY, Private John, Auckland Battalion, reported as missing since the first landing at the Dardanelles, was one of the first to respond to the call. Born in Lower Waikato, he went to Waihou district with his parents and was educated at the local school. He was a popular leading athlete, was one of the most prominent members of the Waihou Polo Club and was always ready to lend a hand to whatever tended toward the public good. [AWN 15.07.1915]

O'NEILL, Major E, Field Ambulance, Distinguished Service Order NOK : Josephine O'Neill, High Street, Dunedin. Awarded for exhibiting initiative and resource while in command of a bearer sub-division. [AWN 08.07.1915]

OLLARD, Trooper Aubrey C, is reported to be sick and is now at the Pont de Kkoubbeh Hospital, Cairo. [AWN 05.08.1915]

ORR, Trooper James J, killed in action on August 16, was a resident of Maheno. He was the younger son of Mr. W J Orr of Maheno and a nephew of Messrs Clark Brothers, of Maheno flour mills and of Mr. J Clark, Lee Street, Parnell. He left with the Canterbury Mounted Rifles in the main body. [AWN 07.10.1915]

OSBORNE, Sapper H J, NZ Field Engineers, was admitted to No.15 General Hospital, Alexandria, suffering from a shrapnel wound in the thigh. He was convalescent and sent to England on Sept 18. On Wednesday last he cabled to his father Mr. J Osborne of Hamilton that he had been discharged from hospital and had to report himself for duty in a fortnight's time. Sapper Osborne, who left with the fourth reinforcements, was an old Thames boy and previous to enlisting was on the staff of Messrs Ellis & Burnand, Hamilton. [AWN 14.10.1915]

OSBORNE, Private C W, 3rd Regt, Auckland Infantry, whose death from enteric is reported, was a son of Mrs. M Osborne, Suffolk St, Eden Terrace. He was 20 years of age and a native of Auckland. [AWN 05.08.1915]

OVERTON, Major Percy J - Private advice has been received in Christchurch of the death in action of Major Overton, second in command of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles. He was the eldest son of Mr. Charles Overton of Hereford St, Christchurch and in civilian life was a well-known North Canterbury farmer. He served in the South African campaign from 1900 to 1902 and holds the Queen's Medal with three clasps and the King's Medal, with two clasps. Major Overton's younger brother, Lance Corporal Overton of the same regiment, died of wounds received in action last month. The messages announcing the deaths of the two brothers were received by the parents within a few hours of each other. Major Overton leaves a widow and family. [AWN 26.08.1915

OVERTON, Major Percy John and Corporal Guy Stanley OVERTON, whose deaths have been announced recently, were grandsons of the late Rev Gideon SMALES of Hampton Park, East Tamaki and nephews of Mrs. James WALLACE of Epsom. [AWN 26.08.1915

OVERTON, Major P J, Canterbury Mounted Rifles, left NZ with the main expeditionary force as major of his regiment. He saw service in the South African war from 1900 to 1902 and was mentioned in despatches. He was awarded the Queen's Medal with three clasps and the King's Medal with two clasps. [AWN 08.07.1915]

PADDON, Captain C J S W, second in command of the C Squadron, Southland Mounted Rifles, reported wounded, was born in England in 1875. In 1892 he went to South Africa and in the following year he fought through the Matabele campaign in an artillery corps. He next joined the Shangani patrol for service and then spent some time at the Natal Mounted Police. Thence he went to the Klondyke where he remained from 1899 to 1901. He came to NZ a couple of years ago and on the declaration of war offered his services to the NZ Government. [AWN 19.08.1915]

PAGE, Trooper Albert George, Otago Mounted Rifles, reported to have died of wounds on August 28, was well known in the Morrinsville and Cambridge districts, where he was employed at various occupations about six years ago. Trooper Page was born at Chertsey, Canterbury and was 24 years old. [AWN 21.10.1915]

PAGE, Trooper Albert, died of wounds, was a son of Mr. J Page of Tahuna. He was 24 yrs of age and enlisted with the Otago Mounted Rifles. [AWN 04.11.1915]

PAGE, Private William Joseph Patrick - Writing from the Fulham Military Hospital, London, he says that he was wounded on August 13 when two shells from a Turkish gun burst right on top of him when on duty. When he picked himself up he found that he had a shattered arm. He went to the doctor's dug out where he broke up a biscuit box and put his arm in splints himself. He then walked four miles to the beach and got on board a hospital ship at midnight. He is now getting on as well as can be expected. Private Page is the second son of Mr. William Page of Tamaki East. He was born at Whitford and was educated by the Sisters of the Mission, Howick, and at the Howick public school. He was brought up to farming and is 24 yrs of age. [AWN 02.12.1915]

PAISLEY, Sergeant Alexander, OIB, who has been reported missing, left with the main expeditionary force. He is the fourth son of Mr. John Paisley, Upper Junction, Dunedin. [AWN 01.07.1915]

PALMER, Lieutenant Harry Thomas, Wellington Mounted Rifles, whose death from pneumonia is reported, was born in Auckland in 1870. He was a son of Mr. Frank Palmer of Auckland. Lt Palmer went to Palmerston North at an early age and was identified with many branches of sport. He was the founder of the Kiakaha Football Club, secretary of the Manawatu Rugby Union and Athletic Club and a successful gentleman rider. [AWN 29.07.1915]

PALMER, Sergeant Hartly V, CIB, who has been killed in action, was the only son of Mr. H T Palmer of Brightwater, Nelson. Twice the doctor refused to pass him but, nothing daunted, he tried again and got through and then decided to forego his stripes to get a place in the main force. [AWN 01.07.1915]

PALMER, Lieutenant William Titley, 3rd, Auckland, Mounted Rifles, wounded on August 29, is the youngest son of the late Archdeacon J Palmer of the Melanesian Mission. He was born at Norfolk Island and is 25 years of age. On the outbreak of war he volunteered for the front and was attached to the main body as sergeant. Having passed his examination for a commission, he was detained as an officer for the first reinforcements. For some months he was one of those left in Egypt to take charge of the horses, etc. at Zeitoun. [AWN 16.09.1915]

PARKER, Private James John, who is reported to have been missing since June 5, is the elder son of Mr. J W Parker, Brunswick Buildings, Queen Street. His father has a long record of active service, including the Matabele war, the Spanish-American war and the South African war, in which he served on the staff of General French. When war was declared Private Parker immediately volunteered and was one of those accepted at the first medical examination of recruits for the 3rd, Auckland, Company. His brother is a member of the fifth reinforcements. Private Parker was born in the United States, was taken to England by his parents, and accompanied them to New Zealand about six years ago. He lived for some time in Hawkes Bay where he played in representative football and hockey. He was for some time in the employ of Messrs Wilson & Horton. [AWN 01.07.1915]

PARSON, Private Lionel Mystery still surrounds the fate of Private Parson, CIB, the well-known representative footballer and oarsman. Some weeks ago he was reported wounded and missing and then came the tidings to his relatives that he was severely wounded and an inmate of an Australian hospital in Egypt. Further enquiries made by his family, however, have elicited the information that Private Parson is still missing. [AWN 01.07.1915]

PATERSON, Private James Ayton - who has been killed in action, was the elder son of the late Mr. James Paterson, for a long time librarian of the Dunedin Athenaeum. [AWN 24.06.1915]

PATERSON, Corporal George, Auckland Infantry Battalion, fifth reinforcements, wounded on August 8, is the eldest son of Mr. George Paterson, Lochore, Fifeshire, Scotland. Cpl Paterson is 26 years of age. His wife resides in Huntly. [AWN 16.09.1915]

PATTERSON, Thomas Stephen, wounded hip ( refer HUGES Michael Daniel)

PARSONS, Corporal Reg R, killed in action on August 7, was 22 years of age and was a brother of Mr. H Parsons of Gisborne. He was a corporal in the territorials and left Gisborne with the first reinforcements. He was also one of the many members of the Gisborne Rowing Club who have gone to the front. [AWN 02.09.1915]

PAUL, Private William John - Canterbury Infantry Battalion, killed in action, was the second son of Mr. Robert J Paul of the Lower Hutt. He was 20 years of age and was for some time in the employment of the Wellington Woollen Co. He was a good rifle shot and took a keen interest in athletics. His elder brother, Robert Percival Paul, left with the fifth reinforcements. [AWN 24.06.1915]

PAULSEN, Trooper Harry Wilford, 4th, Waikato, Mounted Rifles, who is reported 'missing, believed to be killed', is the eldest son of Mr. P P Paulsen, Ngaruawahia. He left with the third reinforcements. [AWN 16.09.1915]

PATON, Trooper John S, who was killed in action on August 8 while serving with the 3rd, Auckland, Mounted Rifles, was the eldest son of Mr. Charles Paton, of Walton, Waikato. He was born at Waipu and when the war broke out was working with his father at Walton. He was 22 years of age. [AWN 09.09.1915]

PEARCE, Corporal P G - A copy of an Army Order in which the following paragraph appears, has been received from Gallipoli - "Headquarters, July 26, 1915: Complimentary: Lieutenant-General Sir W R Birdwood, K.C.S.?, C.B., C.I.E., D.S.O., has great pleasure in publishing the name of Corporal P G Pearce, Field Troop New Zealand Engineers, who is reported as having behaved with exceptional gallantry." Corporal Pearce distinguished himself by fixing [........] in full view of, and within 30 yards of the enemy's trenches and was twice wounded while so engaged. Corporal Pearce is a brother of Mr. H Pearce of the Public Trust Office. He is 27 years of age and was born in the Coromandel district. He entered the Valuation Dept as a cadet and was in that branch of the public service when he enlisted. [AWN 30.09.1915]

PEARCY, Private W E, After recovering from one wound he returned to the firing line and is now reported to have been killed in action on June 8. Born in Timaru, he lived in Christchurch for some years and then came to Auckland. When war broke out he was in the employ of the City Council and enlisted at once in the Auckland Infantry Company. [AWN 08.07.1915]

PENMAN, Trooper E J - Auckland Mounted Rifles, KIA, was the second s/o Mr. J A Penman, Mount Albert. He was born in Auckland and educated at the Mt Albert School. When war broke out he was employed as a carpenter and volunteered for service in the main force. As he was then under 20 years of age he was afterwards accepted for the second reinforcement of the Auckland Mounted Rifles. [AWN 17.06.1915]

PERRETT, Private J D, 6th, Hauraki, Regiment, a son of Mr. & Mrs. J D Perrett of Devonport, who left with the main expeditionary force and spent 23 weeks in the trenches at Gallipoli, has been in hospital at Cairo suffering from shell shock. His parents have received official notice that he has been discharged from hospital and is now doing light duties at Zeitoun camp. [AWN 23.12.1915]

PETIHA, Private Hone, reported wounded, is a Tokomaru Bay Maori, where he was employed at the Farmers' Co-operative Company's store. [AWN 26.08.1915]

PETRE, Corporal R F - Canterbury Infantry Battalion, who has been killed in action, was the son of Mr. R G Petre of Andover St, Merivale and was 21 years of age. He was educated at the Christchurch Boys High School. [AWN 24.06.1915]

PEVERALL, Private Alfred John, killed in action, is the son of Mr. G Peverall, Desmond Rd, Gisborne. He left Gisborne for Auckland some time ago and enlisted with the Auckland Battalion. [AWN 01.07.1915

PHILLIPS, Private Charles - killed in action, was captain of the Manawatu representative team last year. He was a schoolteacher at Feilding before enlisting. [AWN 24.06.1915]

PHILLIPS, Private F Sedger, who is reported to have died of wounds, left NZ with the fifth reinforcements. He volunteered in Auckland and after he had been in camp about six weeks, was posted to the Canterbury Company of the contingent. [AWN 26.08.1915

PHILLIPS, Corporal Thomas Wallace, recently reported to have died at Walton Hospital, London, through wounds received at the Dardanelles, followed by pneumonia, was well known in the Cambridge district. He was born in Dumbarton, Scotland, in 1894 and came out to the Dominion a few years ago. He served as a volunteer in the Cambridge section of the Waikato Mounted Rifles. Cpl Phillips was a good rifle shot, having won many prizes. [AWN 04.11.1915]

PHILLIPS, Corporal Thomas W, Auckland Mounted Rifles, 4th Squadron, who is reported to have died of wounds, left with the second reinforcements. He was a son of Mrs. Mary Phillips of Matangi and was only 20 years of age. [AWN 18.11.1915]

PHILSON, Private Wilmot Napier - 16th Waikato Regt, is reported amongst the missing. He is the son of Mr. Matthew T Philson of Stanley Point, Devonport, and formerly manager of the Bank of NZ at Russell. Private Philson is 29 years of age. He was farming at Te Kuiti when the war broke out. [AWN 24.06.1915

PICKERING, Lance Corporal Harold G, Australian Light Horse, who was recently dangerously wounded, was an Aucklander. He went from Suva to Sydney and joined the Second Light Horse. Lance Corporal Pickering had been at the front since the landing at Gaba Tepe on April 25. [AWN 09.09.1915]

PILKINGTON, Private Harry, who has been reported wounded, is the only son of Mr. & Mrs. H Pilkington, Islington St, Ponsonby. He was 18 years of age when he left with the fifth reinforcements of the Auckland Infantry Battalion. [AWN 16.09.1915]

PIRANI, Private J has appeared on a recent list of men wounded at the Dardanelles. He is the second son of Mr. Fred Pirani of Feilding. He was refused admission to the expeditionary force before it left NZ but, determined to get to the front, he worked his passage to Egypt and there joined the Otago section of the force. [AWN 26.08.1915

PIRIHI, Private Ngawaka, who was reported some time ago to have been wounded, was one of the first Maoris to volunteer for active service. He is 21 years of age and was education at Takahiwai, Whangarei and at St Stephen's, Parnell, and was subsequently employed at the Registrar-General's office, Auckland. He was reported early in the present month to have been wounded but private advices received since state that he had been fatally shot prior to May 26. [AWN 22.07.1915]

PIRRITT, Private George, Auckland Infantry Battalion, killed in action, was the eldest son of Mr. George Pirritt, of Victoria Street. He enlisted with the main body. Private Pirritt was well known in the country, especially in the Tauranga and Rotorua districts, where he was frequently engaged in surveying operations. [AWN 02.09.1915]

PLUGGE, Lieutenant Colonel A, officer commanding the Auckland Infantry Battalion, in a letter to his wife refers to the fighting at Gaba Tepe. "I am afraid there will be many suffering hearts, but the men were good. The way they would take a position and hang on to it was glorious. The general opinion expressed has been that the Australian and New Zealand men are the equal of any regular soldiers in the world and if you ask naval officers they will say 'better'. " Lt Col PLUGGE did not say where or how he was wounded but he was not very well when he wrote. Mrs. Plugge understands that her husband received three or four wounds but none is serious. [AWN 01.07.1915]

PORTEOUS, Sergeant Major A W, OIB, Military Cross NOK: Mrs. A W Porteous, St Leonard's, Dunedin. Awarded for gallantry on Apri8l 26 and bravery on the nights of May 2 and 3. When all the officers of his company were killed and wounded, he organized and led his company, continually exposing himself for four hours and showing fine military spirit and powers of military leadership. [AWN 08.07.1915]

POTTER, Private W H, who has been seriously wounded, is a son of Major J Potter of Avondale. He is one of two brothers who left with the 3rd, Auckland, Mounted Rifles in the main forces and reached Gallipoli only a few weeks ago, having remained in Egypt in charge of the horses. He was born in Avondale 22 years ago and had lived there every since until his departure. Private Potter was in business as a builder. Another Potter has just been gazetted Lieutenant and is now at Trentham, having almost completed his military training at Duntroon College. [AWN 26.08.1915

POWER, Sapper Robert H W, reported admitted to hospital, Tooting, England, is the eldest son of the late Mr. H W Power of H M Customs, Auckland, and of Mrs. F E Caton, One-tree Hill, Auckland. He is 21 yrs of age and had been serving with the signal troop of the 1st Australian Light Horse Brigade since the commencement of the war, leaving Sydney with the 1st Australian Imperial Force . [AWN 28.10.1915]

PRICE, Private Francis James, who was wounded at the Dardanelles and has been invalided home to NZ, was born in Hastings 23 years ago. He is well known in hockey and cricket circles. [AWN 01.07.1915

PRICE, Private James Percival, who was killed on Gallipoli on August 8, was the eldest son of Mr. W G Price, Tangiteroria, Northern Wairoa. He left with the first reinforcements, being attached to the Mounted Brigade of the 15th, North Auckland, Regiment. The deceased soldier was 32 years of age and was well known in bush contracting and farming circles. [AWN 09.09.1915]

PRICE, Lance Corporal A D, who was recently wounded, is a son of Mr. W C Price, Tangiteroria. The last letter received from him was written on July 24 and it indicated that he was then serving at Quinn's Post. His brother, Private T W PRICE, was wounded several months ago but his parents have not yet learned where he is and whether he has recovered. [AWN 30.09.1915]

PRIDEAUX, Private Thomas Pascoe - Wellington Infantry Battalion, who is reported, killed in action, was a brother of Messrs H & W Prideaux and a first cousin of Mr. D Dustin, residents of Palmerston. Deceased was born at Wanganui and lived there for many years. Mr. H A Prideaux, Victoria Ave, Wanganui, is deceased's father. [AWN 24.06.1915]

PRIEST, Lieutenant A F L, who has been wounded a second time, was reported on June 9 to have died of wounds. Shortly afterwards it was reported that he had been wounded but not fatally. He is 21 years of age and is the only son of Mr. John Priest of Chorlton. [AWN 19.08.1915]

PRIMROSE, Trooper John Thomas, Canterbury Infantry Battalion, who is reported to have been killed in action on July 13, was the youngest son of Mr. J Primrose of Hamilton. He was 22 years of age and was born at Hukanui near Hamilton. Mr. Primrose was advised a few weeks ago that his second son Thomas was amongst the missing. [AWN 05.08.1915]

PRIMROSE, Trooper John Thomas, A private message from the Minister for Defence was received by Mr. John Primrose of Claudelands, Hamilton, stating that his son, who left with the Nelson Squadron of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles in the main body, had died of wounds on July 13. This is the second of Mr. Primrose' sons who have fallen at the Dardanelles. The other, Stanley, who was with the Auckland Infantry Battalion, was reported as missing on the first day of the landing. Trooper Primrose was born at Hukanui and educated at the Hamilton East and Hamilton High Schools. On leaving school he was apprenticed to Mr. A E Manning, chemist, and subsequently represented Mr. Manning's veterinary branch for some time in Australia. About two years ago he joined Mr. Boon, chemist, of Nelson and was in his employ when war broke out. [AWN 05.08.1915]

PRIMROSE, Private William Stanley - reported to be missing, is the 4th son of Mr. John Primrose, Claudelands, Hamilton. He left with the Auckland infantry, main body. He was born at Kirikiriroa and educated in Hamilton. After leaving school he joined Messrs Hallenstein Bros and was with them in Hamilton, Cambridge, Auckland and Whangarei, leaving the latter place to join the Expeditionary Force. Private Primrose was married only about a fortnight before he left. He has a brother with the main body in the Nelson Squadron, Canterbury Mounted Regt. [AWN 24.06.1915]

PRITT, Private Henry Capel, Auckland Infantry Battalion, who is reported to have been killed in action on August 8, was the third son of the late Rev Lonsdale Pritt, Archdeacon of Waikato and incumbent of St Mark's Church, Remuera. He was 46 years of age. [AWN 02.09.1915]

PURDY, Lieutenant Norman H, NZ Field Artillery, who is reported to have been severely wounded in the left arm and both legs on August 6, is a son of Mrs. M Purdy of Crummer Road, Grey Lynn. He is 27 years of age. [AWN 19.08.1915]

PYE-SMITH, Sergeant Major H, who is reported to have been wounded on the Gallipoli Peninsula, is a brother in law of Mr. J Donlad of the firm of A B Donlad Ltd. He was farming at Wanganui and enlisted in the Wellington Mounted Rifles, which formed part of the main Expeditionary Force. [AWN 05.08.1915]

PYE-SMITH, Sergeant Major Harold, who was killed in action on August 27, was the youngest son of Mr. Reginald Pye-Smith, formerly chief draughtsman, locomotive branch, NZ Railways, who is now residing with his son in law, Mr. John Donald, O'Rorke Street. Sergeant Major Pye-Smith was born in Wellington and was 23 years old. He was educated at the Thorndon School and then engaged in farming, being at Jerusalem on the Wanganui River, when he enlisted in the Wellington Mounted Rifles. [AWN 30.09.1915]

PYLE, Trooper William Rupert, Otago Mounted Rifles, killed in action, was 26 years of age and was the eldest son of Mr. William Pyle of St Bathans, Otago, where he was born. Three of Trooper Pyle's brothers are serving in the main body, another is with the seventh reinforcements, while the only remaining brother has enlisted and goes into camp in October. [AWN 16.09.1915]