CCC Camps

Civilian Conservation Corps 1938
468th Company, Camp Prescott
Medford, Oregon

(taken from a 1938 yearbook owned by Hazel Gendron)

(Pictures at the bottom)

Names History
Amason, Dwight 
Archie, James J.
Armstrong, Jack H. 
Baker, Johnnie W.
Baker, Kenneth 
Barrett, Vaughn 
Bauman, Fred 
Beaird, Tyler G. 
Bridgeman, Charles W. 
Brown, Clarence E. 
Bruce, Frank 
Bryant, Robert M. 
Burke, Randal 
Butts, Thomas 
Campbell, Marvin 
Canup, Clyde 
Carlile, Louie F.
Catrett, William O. 
Cheatham, Furman 
Collins, James A.
Compton, Fred R. 
Cook, Billy T. 
Cook, Henry C. 
Cordle, T. J. 
Davis, Lonnie E. 
Dixon, Hunter W. 
Dooley, Edgar L. 
Douglas, Raymond 
Duffie, Nichols 
Eason, Charlie 
Egerton, Millard 
Ensley, Arthur 
Erwin, John 
Estes, Earl H. 
Giles, Hubert 
Gilliam, Hobart 
Goetze, Albert C. 
Goodall, J. Robert 
Gordon, William I. 
Graddy, Robert F. 
Greene, Charle F. 
Gregg, James S. 
Gurley, Richard 
Hahn, William N. 
Hamlin, James Y. 
Hembree, Quenton 
Hobbs, Berl M. 
Holder, Lloyd 
Holmes, Charles E. Jr. 
Hooks, Joe T. 
Hubbard, Vernon 
Huckabee, Alfred C. 
Huddleston, Altus 
Hulsey, Joseph 
Ingram, A. C. 
Jones, Ctril C. 
Jones, Paul B. 
Kaylor, Samuel D. 
Kennedy, Lemuel H. 
Kent, R. M. 
Kirby, Clyde G. 
Kirkwood, Frank A.
Kouroupis, George 
Laird, Robert 
Latham, Julius C. 
Lyons, Ray 
McCauley, Oliver A. 
McClellan, Robert A. 
McClung, Harold C. 
McDaniel, Wilburn W. 
McGown, James V. 
McMichael, Carl E. 
McMichael, Charles M 
McNatt, Shelton 
Miller, Willie 
Mize, Joe Jr. 
Pate, Linsey 
Paterson, Toy 
Payne, Robert F. 
Peoples, Alvin
Pittman, Holly B. 
Poore, Pete K. 
Potter, Harold 
Price, Ben 
Pruitt, Hanley D. 
Pugh, LaDon 
Rains, Quinton A.
Ray, Vinson 
Richardson, Howard J.
Roberson, James E. 
Rogers, Woodrow 
Sellers, Hosea H. Jr. 
Sisk, James C. Jr. 
Smith, John C. 
Smith, John H. 
Sprayberry, William C.
Starr, Henry C. 
Steele, Leroy G. 
Stinson, Archie E. 
Talley, Howard J. 
Teal, Wallace J. 
Thorpe, Frazier J. 
Truitt, Shelton H. 
VanCleave, Ralph A. 
Walden, Raymond 
Walther, Lyle H.
Watson, Callie B. 
Webber, Eric A. 
White, Joseph 
Whitt, Hoyt 
Wilson, Delmar G. 
Wilson, William B. 
Wood, James R. 
Wright, Joe W. 
 Company 468, Civilian Conservation Corps, was organized on May 18, 1933, they were transported to the camp site, which was located six miles southeast of Oxford, Alabama, at the foot of Cheaha Mountain. The companies arrived and were quartered in tents. The first Company Commander was Capt. Geoffrey Marshall, with Lieut. F. H. Ingram and Lieut. A. H. Bender. Under the direction of these officers, the camp site was cleared and construction began.

 The arrival of the Forestry personnel on June 13, 1933, marked the beginning of the work project, which in a few years was to achieve a name for its’ self. 

 Capt. William D. Britt assumed command of the company on October 5, 1933. Late in the afternoon of November 17, 1933, a tornado struck camp, demolishing the mess hall, water tank, and the Park Service Garage. The barracks were lifted from their blocks, but fortunately there were no serious injuries. In a week’s time a new mess hall was constructed, and the men were able to enjoy thanksgiving dinner in it.

 Work started on the project under the direction of M. O. R. Head, Project Superintendent. After many long months of blasting and hard labor the road to the top of Cheaha State Park was completed. After completion of the road, cabins were constructed, then came a tower, dedicated Bunker Tower, April 4, 1936; the tower was named for Col. Page S. Bunker, Director of all State Parks in Alabama. A barbecue was given by Company 468, with the enrollees of the company giving valuable assistance. The cabins and tower were constructed of native stone.

 July 8, 1936, official word was received in camp that the company would move to Munford, Alabama, about fifteen miles from the present camp site at Oxford, Alabama. With the company moved, work again started on the same project, under the same supervision. A dam was constructed at the foot of Cheaha Mountain, slowly the water filled the small valley, and now Alabama has one of the most beautiful artificial lakes in the South. This lake was named Cheaha Lake. A bathhouse was soon under construction, but at the present time has never been completed.

 On April 4, 1937, the fourth anniversaries of the Civilian Conservation Corps, the boys were free to invite civilian friends out for dinner. Capt. Roscoe W. Tanner was in command of the company at that time, and many friends dined in the mess hall that day. The camp was open to all civilians during the day. People from everywhere came to look at the camp and then drive on up to Cheaha State Park to view the beautiful scenery there.

August  20, 1937, 1sts Lieut. Charles  E.  Holmes, Jr., relieved Ensign L. H. Sample, USNR, who was in command at that time. During September word was received that the company would disband. All the boys were getting ready to bid their friends “Au revoir”. Later word was received that the company would not disband, but would move to the Ninth Corps Area, Medford, Oregon.

 All LEM’s and other enrollees over the 24-year age limit, would be discharged at the end of September. These men would not be able to make the trip to the West Coast with the other men whom they had been associated with over two years. The camp was in a stir, everyone was excited over the coming trip to the Coast. Some of the boys were transferred to other camps in District “D”, and other men were transferred in to fill their places and give the company its required strength, which was to be 160 in full force. We now have men from six states in the Union, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, and Tennessee.

 On October 13, 1937, Company 468 entrained at Munford, Alabama, 160 in strength, to begin a long journey to the West Coast over states and territory that they had never dreamed of seeing. Not a man was lost during the trip, which took five days and five nights to cover the 3,240 miles between Alabama and Oregon.

 IST. Lieut. Charles E. Holmes, Jr., was in command of the company, with 2nd Lieut. Delmar G. Wilson as Junior Officer.

 Arriving in Medford, Oregon, October 18, 1937, the men of Company 468 were very much pleased to learn that they had the best located camp in the Medford District, and that they were to do the same kind of work (State Park work) they had been doing for over two years.

 Under supervision of R. M. Kent, Project Superindent, work began on Roxy Ann, Prescott Memorial Park.

Some of the boys have been discharged and sent back to the Sunny South, but the rest have learned to like their new home here in Oregon.

All Southern Oregon and Nothern California Camps from 1938 yearbook
Ninth District Camps and locations in 1938 and description