CCC Camps

Civilian Conservation Corps 1938
1910th Company Camp Seiad, F-176
Seiad Valley, CA.
(taken from a 1938 yearbook owned by Hazel Gendron)

China Creek Camp
Memories of Camp Seiad

(Pictures at the bottom)

Names History
Aaron, I. 
Aldrich, D. 
Ayala, Jose 
Barnett, F. 
Bond, B. 
Breiding, Ray O.
Bullock, T. 
Castro, Leo 
Cibula, Alvin M.
Cross, R. 
DeLeon, R. 
Dewhirst, G. 
Downie, R., 
Dufresne, P. 
Farrow, J.J. 
Fickas, Kenneth 
Flack, W. 
Fowler, E. 
Fristoe, Harry 
Gentle, Maurice
Gold, Philip 
Graney, Ed. 
Graney, W. 
Guillen, Manuel 
Hadley, Ralph 
Hutton, Bob
Jiminez, J. 
Juno, R. 
Keller, R. 
Latimer, V. 
Lawrence, D.F. 
LeRoy, Warren S.
Lestern, C. 
Lopez, L. 
Lopez, Ysidro 
Malle, H. 
McCullough, W.
McDonald, A. 
McPartland, J. 
Mendoza, R. 
Miller, R., 
Morris, H.H. 
Roach, R. 
Roberts, Ernest A. 
Roberts, Lawrence J.
Rodriquez, R. 
Salazar, J. 
Sheeny, W. 
Sherman, Wilbur
Sito, J. 
Smart, G. 
Staff, Henry Dr.
Stobling, M. 
Stubbles, V. 
Suggs, Ed 
Thetford, E. 
Wheeler, J. 
Willer, F.
In May, 1933, fifty men were gathered together in San Francisco under the command of Captain J.R. Cameron, CA-U.S.A., to form the nucleus of Company 1910. Aided by several non-commissioned officers, Captain Cameron proceeded with his men to Indian Creek, California, which was then and until about a year later in the Redding District, and on May 25, 1933, construction of a camp was begun.
    Camp buildings had been almost completed on June 19 when  the main body arrived from Los Angeles to bring the company  strength up to the 206 mark. Under the superintendence of Mr. Ray O.  Brieding, who has remained with the company from the time of its  inception to the present day, projects were immediately begun.
    The Happy Camp bridge, a 300-foot, all -steel suspension  structure across the Klamath was the first project completed; work  on the construction of two truck trails and the improvement of one  road was carried on at the same time.
    Captain William Ryan, present Welfare Officer, took command  in November 1933, remaining for more than a year. In this important  first year of camp building and job organization the new company  was fortunate in not being hampered by forest fires. The men bent all  their energies to pushing forward the roadwork. In the summer of  1934 three road projects were simultaneously carried on from the  main camp and two spike camps. The company held the flag almost  continually and was runner-up for the rating of the finest amp of the  Ninth Corp Area. Thirty miles of road was put up into the Siskiyous  before snows drove the workers to lower levels, where they spent  the winter gravelling the completed roads and road-side clearings.
   The favor of fortune that spared fire duty failed in another way,  for a meningitis case put the camp into a working quarantine for  almost the duration of the winter.
   In January 1935, Captain Guy W. Saunders, Inf.Res. took  command and remained until September 1937. Road building was  continued throughout the summer. The company upheld its record of  never letting a fire get out of control or grow into dangerous size. But  in March 1936, a call from the city of Shasta sent the men 120 miles  to tramp through snow-filled forests against a serious fire. Two days  fighting were ended by a snowstorm that came up and smothered the  blaze, against which the fighters frozen tank wagons had made little  headway.
   On June 15, 1936, the Indian Creek location was given over to  a spike camp and the main cap was moved to a river-side,  mountain-circled site in Seiad Valley, where the abandoned barracks  were reoccupied by Company 1910 in a drenching downpour.
   A project of building campgrounds and developing recreation  areas up and down the river was now begun. In the spring of 1937  machinery was regained and work on the mountainous China Creek  road was resumed, bringing the total mileage of road construction  close to 100. Most of the roads have been built over uneven, fairly  rocky mountain areas, necessitating the removal of approximately  7,000 cubic yards of dirt per mile.
   Eight campgrounds, two ranger stations, and two guard stations  have been completed. The four lookout stations were constructed by  spike camps that perched on the mountain tops, transporting the  timber and cement for towers by mule pack trains over the trails that  they later made into roads.
   The company pre-casts campground stoves and concrete  cribbing for the entire forest. It has put up fifty miles of telephone  line and built four steel bridges.
   The camp athletic activities produced outstanding baseball  teams in the early years and a district champion basketball team in  the winter of 1935-36. The fighters of 1910 have made consistently  excellent showings in Medford boxing contests.
   In 1936 a building to provide schoolrooms and house the  company's 3,000 books, one of the district's finest libraries, was  completed.
   Numerous enrollees have been promoted to Forestry positions, including the five bulldozer operators, one bridge foreman, two  junior assistant technicians, three semi-skilled laborers, and one  junior foreman.
   The present commanding officer is Captain Albin M. Cibula,  CA-Res; 2nd Lieut. Warren S. LeRoy, CW-Res., is Camp Adjutant;  Mr. Maurice M. Gentle is Education Adviser; Dr. Henry Staff, Camp Surgeon.


All Southern Oregon and Nothern California Camps from 1938 yearbook
Ninth District Camps and locations in 1938 and description