CCC Camps

Civilian Conservation Corps 1938
1534th Company Camp Sitkum
Sitkum, Oregon

(taken from a 1938 yearbook owned by Hazel Gendron)

(Pictures at the bottom)

Names History
Adams, E.
Adcock, Martin
Albin, G.
Armstrong, C.
Bagsby, W.
Baldock, A.
Bender, J.
Beshears, G.
Bolling, W.
Boswell, D.
Brdek, J.
Bright, W.
Brown, R.
Bruck, C.
Bundy, R.
Burke, A.
Businger, A.
Butler, E.
Cain, B.
Carroll, W.
Centers, B.
Childress, R.
Christopher, G.
Clay, W.
Coffman, C.
Colvin, E.
Combs, D.
Conley, C.
Conley, M. 
Conley, N.
Connor, J.
Courtney, D.
Cox, G.
Craft, W.
Cravens, G.
Crosby, E. H.
Curry, J.
Davis, Harold B.
Dean, M.
Deborde, W.
Devylder, C.
Dinkins, O.
Dozier, G.
Eckenrode, B.
Eli, A.
Elliott, W.
Estes, E.
Etherton, R.
Evans, H.
Fiser, C.
Fortner, C.
Fugate. J.
Garland, A.
Glidwell, W.
Hall, B.
Hammock, C.
Hancock, E.
Harmon, V.
Hash, R.
Hayden, I.
Hayes, M.
Henderson, G.
Henry, E.
Hester, R.
Hickerson, M.
Hicks, H.
Hight, C.
Hindman, W.
Hodges, M.
Holland, J.
Holland, R.
Hughes, E.
Ingle, B.
Isaacs, R.
Jackson, E.
Johnson, G.
Jones, B.
Jurgle, J.
Kennard, H.
Kennard, T.
Kennedy, E.
Kirk, R.
Lanagan, H.
Langham, J.
Lawson, S.
Lemonte, C.
Leppanen, J.
Lightell, B.
Lockhart, A.
Lockhart, R.
Lykins, D.
Madison, H.
Maupins, H.
McGuire, M.
McNamaran, T.
Meeks, R.
Miller, K.
Minton, E.
Mitchum, W.
Mordis, E.
Morgan, W.
Mowery, K.
Mucci, D.
Newson, A.
Olson, W.
Owens, A.
Panning, M.
Parriman, J.
Parsley, J.
Patey, V.
Patrick, R.
Payne, W.
Peak, H.
Pendley, E.
Pennington, W.
Pentecost, J.
Petrey, J.
Phillips, E.
Pierceall, J.
Plowman, Fred
Polly, C.
Potter, G.
Pratt, R.
Pullen, T.
Rains, E.
Rairden, G.
Reeves, E.
Rhoades, Paul
Rhodes, J.
Richie, S.
Riggs, Jack A.
Rimar, A.
Ritch, Joe
Roach, H.
Rodkey, Joseph S.
Roma, P.
Rowe, D.
Scalf, Charles
Scott, R.
Sims, W.
Slocum, Y.
Slusher, M.
Smith, E.
Smith, Ernest
Smith, H.
Sorrells, C.
Sparks, J.
Spence, R.
Spurlock, F.
Stringer, R.
Strong, C.
Summers, D.
Taylor, C.
Thacker, F.
Thomas, E.
Townsend, B. Jr.
Trainer, A.
Tutich, J.
Vandiver, H.
Vick, H.
Wade, J.
Walton, E.
Watson, E.
Watson, J.
Weatherford, B.
Webb, H.
Weddington, V.
Whoberry, B.
Williams, F.
Wilson, R.
Workman, W.
Wyatt, H.
 The history of 1534 has been interesting and varied. It has taken its part in sunshine and in rain, in the hardships of building a CCC camp to the part of enjoying and having lived in one of the best kept camps.

 It was on June 6, 1933, that Company 1534was organized at Fort Knox, Kentucky. There the commanding and junior officers were selected.

 One June 22, 1933, the company was sent to Clinton, Kentucky, to make its own and future home. The men travelling by train arrived at the new location about 1:00 in the morning. There the first day began with the pitching of tents, setting up the kitchen, and other jobs of making the camp a place to live.

 On July 1, 1933, the first leaders and assistant leaders were appointed. Working all summer building the camp, the company had the barracks ready to move into by the first of December and settle down for the winter.1534 with about fifty husky men well adapted to camp life.

 The men being settled in barracks lived as any other camp during 1934 and early part of 1935. The carried on as extensive educational program with their recreation. The main interests were in baseball and basketball, but were above average in all sports.

 The work done by Company 1534 was soil conservation service. It improved many farms that had been thrown away as “worn out”.

 Some men that were in the company at the beginning are still with us. Others have long gone on their way back to their homes, some to seek other employment.

 In October, 1935, the company strength was low enough that new men were needed in the camp. Hardinsburg, Kentucky, and Benton, Kentucky, camps disbanded, furnishing Company 1534 with about fifty husky men well adapted to camp life.

 On arriving they find the men working gathering pecans in the “Gumbo” mud bottoms. If anyone thinks that’s not much of a job going down in the “Gumbo” mud bottoms where truck axels drag the ground and crews pushing and pulling with all strength and then bending back gathering pecans, try it for one day, not the three and one-half months that 1534 did. So the year of 1935 was spent with hard work and plenty of recreation.

 It is well worth while to mention the flood of 1936 and 1937. The courage and perils undergone helped to save people, animals, and homes. Having had some experience in flood fighting, the company was expecting and making ready for the call to aid. The call came the night of January 22 at 7:00 A.M. On January 23, the first detachment of men left for Hickman, Kentucky. The roads were covered with snow, ice, and a cold mixture of rain and snow still falling. The company established quarters in the Masonic Hall at Hickman, Kentucky, and stayed for 12 days enduring the dangers and perils of the flood.

 The men worked on a privately owned levee between the government levee and the river, in a downpour of rain and sleet that froze on their backs. About one o’clock the men were taking a few minutes off for lunch when the private levee gave way, sweeping houses off their foundations and completely filling the area with water where the men had  been working. This company had won this fight, for while holding the private levee the government levees was being reinforced so it could stand the pressure of water when the private levee gave way.

 As hard as this may seem, it was easy compared to some things Company 1534 went through with to aid and help the refugees.

 The company was going forward in every way until orders were received that the company would be transferred to a new location, Murphysboro, Illinois. On October 8, 1937, with Captain Davies in command and Lieutenant Breece, Junior Officer, the company left Clinton, Kentucky, and many friends that had been made. It was sorrow to the majority of the enrollees to leave the “Old Home” but found that Camp Murphysboro was an ideal camp. In fact, had been one of the best in the Sixth Corps Area.

 Staying at Murphysboro, Illinois, about two months, and just beginning to learn the people, Company 1534 again is preparing for a new home in the ninth corps Area.

 By this time the company had changed officers again, and had in command Lieutenant Rodkey; Junior Officer, Lieutenant Riggs, two men that are interest in the welfare of Company 1534.

 Leaving on Friday, December 17, 1937, the company begins a five-day journey to Sitkum, Oregon. The trip was a pleasant one and enjoyable, as the greater number of the men had never been “West”. When the five day trip was ended we were in Myrtle Point, Oregon, still 27 miles from camp. Trucks mete the company, and the trip was made through a downpour of rain.

 Company 1534 is now stationed at Camp Sitkum, GF-5m Sitkum, Oregon. The men are working, looking forward to see what the future of this company will be. They are hoping to make it the outstanding company in the Medford District.

All Southern Oregon and Nothern California Camps from 1938 yearbook
Ninth District Camps and locations in 1938 and description