CCC Camps

Civilian Conservation Corps 1938
3450th Company Camp Steamboat
Idleyld Park, Oregon

(taken from a 1938 yearbook owned by Hazel Gendron)

(Pictures at the bottom)

Names History
Albritton, Wallace
Atchison, Henry
Baggett, Alfred
Bailey, Lewis W.
Baldwin, Edgar S.
Banks, Talmadge
Barber, Thomas W.
Benton, Horney
Blackstone, Walter E.
Blackwell, Albert
Blake, Grover
Bolan, James E.
Bowen, Joe
Bowers, Carl
Bradshaw, Clark
Bridges, Calvin
Bunch, William
Burgess, Sam
Burgoyne, Boyd
Bush, Ercell C.
Butler, James R.
Campbell, Reese
Campbell, William
Cannon, George M.
Cannon, Walter H.
Cheshire, Cecil
Clark, J. D.
Cochran, William H.
Cole, Joe
Comer, J. Gilbert
Copeland, T. R. Jr.
Cox, Albert
Crawford, James
Crouch, Levi H.
Davis, W. L.
Dillashaw, J. E.
Dooley, Keith
Dykes, Wilson
Eakin, Ollie
Eargle, David A.
Edens, Enos D.
Ellenberg, Haskell
Faulkner, Andrew
Gary, Zannie
Gibson, Lee P.
Godsey, William G.
Good, Sevan
Harrell, Hueston
Hefner, Henry
Hightower, Theron
Holly, Cecil C.
Human, Dock F.
Hyler, Columbus E.
Johnson, Jack
Kennedy, John L.
Kincaid, Howard
Kirby, Clarence
Lady, Archie M.
Law, Arthur
Leslie, James
Lester, William
Long, Nathan C. Jr.
Lunsford, Elmer
Masters, Clifford
Mathis, Edward
Matthews, Leicester
McAlister, Paul
McCarty, Willie
Meeks, James
Mickley, William B.
Mizzelle, William
Mondy, Herries
Moon, Paul H.
Moore, Guy R.
Moore, Lewis
Morrah, John
Morris, Claude
Morris, Hubert
Moss, Tommy
Neal, Jesse
Newby, Harold
Newcomb, Charles
Parnell, Louie
Parrish, Vivian
Philbrick, John
Pigott, Henry C.
Pursley, James D.
Rachor, Henry
Sanders, Holbert
Self, Richard
Sharp, John
Shrum, Thomas E.
Siegler, Benjamin
Smith, Andrew E.
Smith, Floyd L.
Smith, Leo
Smith, William B.
Surrency, Wilbert E.
Thomason, Horace M.
Thompson, Julian
Turman, Benjamin Dr.
Turner, Albert
Wallace, Richard
White, Edward
Whittle, W. H.
Whittle, William
Wicker, Haskell
Wildon, Brown
Wimberly, William
Winchester, J. B.
Wood, Albert
Yearwood, Clate
Young, Ralph J.
 The 3450th Company came into existence at Camp Selleck, SC-SCS-4, Abbeville, South Carolina. It was organized on August 3, 1935. A cadre of 26 men from an old established company, namely, Company 443, was the nucleus of the new organization. The members were twenty-four men from Augusta, Georgia, and 150 men were from Anderson, Greenwood, Edgefield, and other nearby counties of South Carolina. The strength was 200 men.

 Capt. John W. Jeffries was Camp Commander, with 2nd Lieut. Smith as Junior Officers. Captain Jeffries commanded the company for two terms, or twelve months. This was a very rare thing for that time. His excellent record gained for him this distinction.

 On October 18, 1935, forty-four seasoned enrollees, from an abandoned camp, joined 3450. These men were from Company 4433 Hardeeville, South Carolina. This addition swelled the company strength to 243 men, the peak of the company’s man power.

 On May 1, 1936, Capt. Newell G. Griffin arrived at Camp Selleck and took over the Commanding Officer’s post.

 During early July, 1936, Company 3450 attacked the largest forest fire in which 3,500 acres were burned. The entire company strength fought the blaze for over fourteen hours without relief of any kind.

 At the completion of the first year, the following achievements were recorded to our record: 1,601 acres under agreement to be strip cropped; 6,093 acres under agreement for crop rotation; 300 acres of trees planted; 1,781 man days in tree planting; 11 fires suppressed; 488 miles of terraces ran; 299 miles of terraces actually built; 96,294 lineal feet of terrace outlets constructed; 1,415 permanent water control structures constructed; 133 temporary water control structures constructed; 69,758 square yards of banks were sloped; 558,000 trees planted with a survival count of 85 per cent.

 After Captain Griffin, came Lieut. Arthur C. Whitemore as Company Commander, who took Camp Selleck to rank the first in the Sub-District. All the buildings were painted, the campsite was relandscaped, and in a word, the place took on an excellent appearance. By these improvements the company captured the “Blue Flag” which was awarded by the Sub-District. From the beginning of the new year, 1936, this flag was awarded to Camp Selleck for eight monthly periods.

 Next came Captain James Hardwick as the chief. His term was a very short one, because his health soon failed him and he was forced to resign.

 It was then that 1st. Lieutenant John L. Kennedy, the present Commanding Officer, took charge and is now in his second term. He is the officer that packed up the company and moved it across the nation, from Abbeville, South Carolina, to Roseburg, Oregon. We arrived at Camp Steamboat, F-32, on October 17, 1937. His second in command is Lieut. William B. Mickley.

 Now a word about where the camp is located. It is a distance of forty-six miles northeast of Roseburg, Oregon. Camp Steamboat is situated on the creek of the same name just one and one-half miles above its confluence with the north Umpqua River and within the Umpqua National Forest.

 The project is that of constructing truck trails through the forest for the purpose of facilitating the transportation of men and equipment for the control of forest fires. Incidentally these trails when completed will open to the public some of the greatest recreational areas of the northwest. The Pacific Highway shall then be connected directly with Diamond Lake, which has long been a playground for those who love to fish. The North Umpqua affords a wonderful resort for those who wish to angle for salmonaid fishes.

 The men employed by the Forest Service and are now connected with this camp are: Thomas Barber, Camp Superintendent; Floyd L. Smith, Assistant Superintendent; Rae Philbrick Junior Forester; Grover Black, Junior Foreman; Ralph Young, Junior Foreman; Howard Kincaid, T. & P Mechanic; Thomas Shrum, Machine Operator; Noah Cox, Mechanic; Henry Hefner, Blacksmith; Arch Lady, Henry Rachor, and Sam Burgess, Semi-skilled Workers.

 The pains and aches are taken care of by Dr. Benjamin Turman, Contract Surgeon; Mr. Guy R. Moore advises us educationally. He has finished his twenty-first year as educator and has been at Camp Steamboat for twenty-six months.

All Southern Oregon and Nothern California Camps from 1938 yearbook
Ninth District Camps and locations in 1938 and description