CCC Burnt Ranch
Civilian Conservation Corps 1938
1905th Company, Camp Hawkins Bar F-33
Burnt Ranch, CA
(taken from a 1938 yearbook owned by Hazel Gendron)

(Pictures at the bottom)

Allen, H. 
Anderson, A. 
Anderson, L. 
Anderson, R. 
Anderson, W. 
Andrews, A. 
Antelo, P. 
Avalos, A. 
Bailey, J. 
Ballasteros, M. 
Barnes, D. 
Beal1, T. 
Bender, C. 
Bishop, D. 
Burner, I. 
Campagna, J. 
Carpenter, L. 
Chavez, R. 
Chivira, C. 
Colburn, I. 
Cordero, D. 
Cuddy, J. 
Cuddy, J. 
Cunningham, D. 
Davenport, W. 
Davis, K. 
DeBate, T. 
Delaney, J. 
Diaz, G. 
Donnellan, J. 
Drury, G. 
Duckett, J. 
Eggleston, G. 
Evans, R. 
Farr, D. 
Ferris, Melvin 
Fireman, D. 
Flinchpaugh, S. 
Freidman, C. 
Fuller, W. 
Galten, R. 
Garcia, E. 
Garcia, F. 
Garcia, M. 
Garner, E. 
Gildart, R. 
Gilmore, W. 
Goldstein, D. 
Graham, D. 
Green, L. 
Greenberg, J. 
Griffin, J. 
Grove, AI. 
Gunn, R. 
Gunn, R. 
Gustick, W. 
Guzman, M. 
Gwin, E. 
Hack, E. 
Harder, H. 
Harlow, D. 
Haugilard, N. 
Herrera, J. 
Higuera, J. 
Hoffman, E. 
Inlay, M. 
Jackson, W. 
Jepsen, H. 
Johnson, E. 
Kaas, Phill. 
Kennedy, K. 
Ketelson, K. 
King, R. 
Kinney, D. 
Kuzniarek, G. 
Larson, B. 
Livingstone, F. 
Madely, H. 
Madely, R. 
Mann, A. 
Marshall, R. 
Martin, W. 
McAndrews, R. 
McBride, K. 
McNeill, D. 
Mendoza, T. 
Meo, J. 
Mireles, J. 
Moore, J. 
Moore, Sydney C. 
Morgan, A. 
Munson, J. 
Murphy, J. 
Nelson, R. 
Newhouse, R. 
Olmstead, C. 
Olsen, S. 
Osborn, F. 
Osborn, J. 
Pagni, F. 
Paquette, R. 
Patterson, J. 
Phelps, C. 
Phelps, C. 
Phillips, T. 
Pozanac, F. 
Price, W. 
Quintero, J. 
Ready, E. 
Reeves, M. 
Reid, E. 
Reiley, J. 
Reisor, H. 
Reyes, D. 
Rice, F. 
Robinson, F. 
Ryan, T. 
SaIl, D. 
Sanders, L. 
Santiago, E. 
Scheifler, R. 
Schober, C. 
Shell, S. 
Sherman, E. 
Shinn, P. 
Simons, G. 
Smith, W. 
Snyder, M.
Solosth, H. 
Staudt, J. 
Stebbins, L. 
Stewart, D. 
Theiman, A. 
Thompson, L. 
Toomey, E. 
Tope, W. 
Tope, W. 
Tostado, A. 
Turriciano, A. 
Umbarger, H. 
VanCleave, C. 
Vorpahl, G. 
Walker, E. 
White, J. 
Whitmore, O. 
Wiget, J. 
Willis, H. 
Wilson, R. 
Wilson, W. 
Wise, R. 
Wiswell, L. 
Withey, J. 
Young, W. 
Zellers, K. 
Company 1905, CCC, was organized on May 29, 1933, at Mad River Camp in the Eureka District. It was moved to Camp Hawkins Bar F-33 on November 4, 1935, where, on April 1, 1936, upon disbandment of the Eureka District, it was transferred to the Redding District, which, in turn, was disbanded on October 31, 1937, whereupon Company 1905 became a part of the Medford District. The company has had 28 different officers, four contract surgeons, six camp educational advisers, seven project superintendents, a large number of Forest Service foremen, and more than 1,000 enrollees. 

Camp Hawkins Bar has been justly celebarted for the attractive landscape gardening and appearance of its campsite, grounds, and buildings. Near the entrance arch of rough-hewn fragrant moss-covered cedar logs stands the flagpole, 85 feet above ground, higher and straighter even than the great Douglas fir at the entrance by the central flower beds, and near the boxing ring and outdoor gymnasia by the roadside. The lines of the buildings are softened by live oak and other species of deciduous trees, evergreens, and madrone heath shrubs. 

Members of Company 1905 have built several bridges, four of them major structures, one of them (the Salyer Bridge) the highest ever constructed as an ECW project. Another record achievement was the construction of the first rotary fish-screen built in California; another was the 23-mile Trinity Summit Truck Trail. Another Hawkins Bar record was claimed by a Company 925 crew, while that company occupied this camp, for rapid construction of a difficult truck trail assignment. 

Among other accomplishments of Company 1905 on the Mad River and the Hawkins Bar projects have been the construction of 126 miles of new telephone lines, plus 412 miles of maintenance; 69 miles of new roads, and 371 miles of maintenance; the building of the Van Duzen Ranger Station and the East Fork Camp Ground, other camping structures and facilities, together with several acres cleared for camping purposes. Fighting forest fires has accounted for 3,926 man days out of Camp Hawkins Bar alone; while 2,010 stand-by man days of fire presuppression, building of four lookout houses, two lookout towers, clearing of eleven acres of land and many miles of fire trails have provided additional assurance against the menace of forest fires. Water systems have been installed, with 7,500 feet of pipe lines, construction of two 3,000-galion water tanks, repairs and upkeep. Rodent control, over 10,000 acres treated, poisonous plant eradication, seed collection, fish planting, and several other important projects have been accomplished by crews of skilled workers. 

A typical emergency was met from February 10 to 13, 1937, when the inhabitants of the Denny community were snowbound, in danger of suffering from starvation and lack of medical attention. For his courage and fortitude with a rescue crew of four men Leader Howard Benninghoven won special commendation and citation in the Redding District's recognition of outstanding enrollees. With a bulldozer they cleared a 20-mile snow covered mountain road until contact was made with the Denny community. Benninghoven worked 16 hours at a shift, including all of the last night until 7:30 A.M., February 13th. Distinction in sports has been common in the company, too, including a recent Redding District boxing championship. 

At present most of the members of Camp Hawkins Bar hail from Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Eureka, their suburbs and neighboring towns. While some of the men are from local communities, very few live on farms or ranches. Many have been transferred from disbanded Ninth Corps companies. Otherwise, at the beginning of enrollment periods, the larger groups of men have reported for duty from Fort McDowell, Fort Winfield Scott, and Fort Funston. 

Company commanders have included: John R. Thornton, Captain, Cav. (commanding officer of the original advance cadre); James P. Abbott, Ist Lieut., Cav.-Res.; R. D. McGinnis, Lieut. (JG) USN; Ray E. Caughey, Ist Lieut., Inf.-Res.; A. F. Dessureault, Capt., QM- Res.; Mark E. Thomas, Capt., FA-Res.; John C. Lowry, Capt., Inf.-Res.; William A. Seddon, Capt., Inf.-Res.; Matthew Santino, Ist Lieut., CA-Res.; Philip B. Foote, Ist Lieut., Air-Res.; Hardy Smith, Capt., QM-Res., and Raymond Holtzman, Capt., Inf.-Res. 

Captain Hardy Smith resumed command of the company on September 9, 1937. Adjutant is Ist Lieut. Theodore H. Ebbett, Inf.-Res.; Contract Surgeon (FT) is Thomas G. Mitchell, M.D.; Camp Educational Adviser is Celian Ufford. The Forest Service staff includes: Hurston S. Buck, Project Superintendent, and Foremen George Burger, Clein Bussell, Fred Everest, Norman Vernon, and Truck Trail Locater William Fraser. 


Mitchell, Thomas G. Dr. - Camp Surgeon 
Smith, Hardy Capt. - QM-Res. Commanding Officer 
Tabor, Raymond E. - CEA 

Technical Personnel

Buck, Hurston S. - Project Superintendent 
Burger, George L 
Bussell, Clem 
Everest, Fred 
Rowe, Albert 
Vernon, Norman S. 



All Southern Oregon and Nothern California Camps from 1938 yearbook
Ninth District Camps and locations in 1938 and description