These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.

December 1915

ATKINS, Sergeant Major Arthur A, an Auckland boy, is the recipient of the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He was born in India and is the eldest son of Mrs M A Nicholson of Northcote. Sgt Major Atkins received his education at Ramarama. He went through the South African war and when the present war broke out he again enlisted. He went to the front with the main body as a private in the Canterbury Infantry Battalion. He has been wounded twice while in action. He won the D.C.M. for having led a section and captured and held a strongly-defended post which was directing a heavy fire on the head of an advancing column. Mrs Nicholson has two other sons on active service — Corporal Eustace Nicholson and Private Marmion NICHOLSON. Private Edward NICHOLSON, a fourth son, is at present in camp. [AWN 09.12.1915] P.20

BARRY, Sapper R W, second son of Mrs E Barry of Dilworth Tce, Parnell, has died of wounds on the hospital ship Dongola on December 3. He went to the front as a member of the Divisional Signalling Corps with the main body of the expeditionary force. He took part in the landing at the Dardanelles and early in June was erroneously reported as killed in action. A later cable stated he was wounded. He recovered from the wounds received at the landing and returned to the firing line. He was well known in Auckland and Canterbury athletic circles as ‘Bob’ Barry. He was born at Akaroa and educated at the Akaroa Boys’ High School. He went to the South African war as a member of one of the NZ contingents and on his return joined the clerical staff of the NZ Express Co. He was with the company for about 13 yrs and left its employ to enlist. He represented the Canterbury province in both hockey and cricket and on coming to Auckland helped to inaugurate the game of hockey here. He was a member of the United and College Rifles Hockey Clubs and represented Auckland for many years. He played for the Parnell senior cricket team and was considered one of the best fieldsmen in Auckland. [AWN 16.12.1915] P.22

BELL, Private Paul Henry, brother of Miss Winnie Bell of Northcote, and only son of the late Mr & Mrs T B Bell of Manurewa, who has been wounded and sent to the Alexandria Hospital, left with the special contingent of the NZ Medical Corps which proceeded to the scene of hostilities in Persia early in August from Sydney. He received his education at St John’s, Onehunga and subsequently joined the staff of the General Post Office, Wellington. Pte Bell was in camp at Palmerston North a few days only prior to his selection as a member of the special draft. [AWN 02.12.1915] P.20

BLAKE, Lieutenant, Canterbury Battalion, reported killed in action, was a son of Mr V Blake of the Gisborne Land & Survey Office. Lieut Blake was a surveyor and was engaged in survey work in the Auckland Province when he enlisted. He left NZ with the sixth reinforcements, receiving a commission just prior to the departure of the troops. [AWN 23.12.1915] P.20

BROTHERS, Corporal W F, who was wounded in the early part of October at Gallipoli, is the youngest son of Mr & Mrs C Brothers of Ngongotaha, Rotorua, and a brother of Mr Henry Brothers of the Auckland railway goods staff and Mrs W Wilson, Manunui. He enlisted in the machine gun section, Canterbury Battalion, in the main body of the expeditionary force and took part in the historic landing on the peninsula. He was in the firing line continuously for six months when he was wounded through a Turkish shell bursting and blowing up his machine gun and sand bag fortifications and burying half the gun crew under the debris. At latest advice he was in the No.3 Australian General Hospital on Lemnos Island and hoped to be able to go back to the trenches in a few weeks’ time. He was promoted to corporal on the peninsular last September. Prior to his enlistment he was a member of the Christchurch Fire Brigade and previous to that he had served five years in the Royal Navy. Cpl Brothers was born in Newcastle, NSW and was educated in Sydney. [AWN 23.12.1915] P.20

COLLETT, Lieutenant Clive, son of Mrs Collett of Manukau Rd, Parnell, and the late Captain Collett of Tauranga, joined the Royal Flying Corps in England and met with an accident in June. Private advice recently received stated that Lieut Collett was recovering and would probably resume duty during this month. [AWN 23.12.1915] P.20

CORRIE, Sister [?BORRIE} was formerly stationed at the Timaru Hospital. She went to England on the outbreak of war and joined the Queen Alexandra nursing division. She was sent to Egypt and took up nursing in the British hospital at the citadel in Cairo. From there she joined the Egyptian Government Hospital at Suez and was working there when she contracted typhoid fever which necessitated her return to New Zealand. From appearances, she seems to have almost recovered. [AWN 23.12.1915] P.17

DAVIES, Sapper Sydney Allen, the only son of Mr & Mrs E Davies of Waihi, is reported in hospital at Malta with enteric. When he enlisted in the fifth reinforcements he was 22 yrs of age. He was drafted to the Field Engineers. Spr Davies is well known in Waihi and Tauranga and he has many friends in Auckland. [AWN 16.12.1915] P.22

DRINNAN, Private Francis J, who was invalided to England from the Dardanelles last September, has now returned to the front for the third time. He is the fifth son of Mrs John Drinnan of Kaukapakapa and with his brother, Private J J Drinnan, left NZ with the fourth reinforcements. [AWN 09.12.1915] P.20

EMBLING, Private W G, whose death from dysentery was reported from Lemnos on Oct 27 was the eldest son of Mr & Mrs J Embling and was a native of Brookby. At the time of enlisting he held the Government mail contract between Alfriston and Brookby. Deceased was highly esteemed. He was 23 years of age and left for the front with the sixth reinforcements. [AWN 02.12.1915] P.20

GRACE, Private Pierce who left NZ with the fourth reinforcements, was wounded in the leg at Gallipoli on August 8. He was taken to the Malta Hospital but has returned to Egypt convalescent. Pte Grace is the youngest son of Mrs Grace of Pirongia. [AWN 02.12.1915] P.20

GRANT, Major - Extract from a letter by Captain WALLINGFORD - ] Referring to hostilities in the latter end of last August, Captain WALLINGFORD says: "I watched that fight as if I were in the dress circle of a theatre. Our boys were simply splendid under the fire from the Turkish guns. That fire was magnificently placed and the serving of the guns was superb. New Zealand can be proud of her boys. There are none to beat them and I put a good seal of the credit down to our cadet system. I liked the Maoris very much. They dig well, are splendid sentries and seem to do everything one asks. I think we ought to have regiments of them in each district." A reference follows to the death of Major GRANT: "I was the last one he spoke to" says Captain Wallingford. "I had been placing some guns so as to protect our right flank and had had a hot fight with the rifle. We caught the Turks fairly napping. Try and imagine a lot of rabbits with a few of my machine-gunners and myself ‘potting’ at them at 250 yards. When they bolted into their run three machine guns played on to them. First I would take the rifle and then have a turn at a gun, until none remained. The Artillery played on to us from somewhere behind and hit a lot of the troops." "After about half an hour of that I went to see the brigade staff. I reached the apex and there found the Auckland Regiment with the Gurkhas getting ready to assault Chun Bair. Major GRANT came to me and said "Look here, Wallingford, we have to charge that hill, can you do anything for us? I replied that I could if I was given time to bring up the guns. At that moment the brigadier gave the order to get away. There was a bit of a pause for someone to give the lead. I stood fascinated because I knew it meant slaughter to step over that apex. Then all at once I saw Major Grant step out. He called to his men and away they went like a pack of wolves breaking cover. It was awful watching one’s friends and all the splendid fellows going to their death and knowing that if I only had the guns I could silence the Turks in a few minutes." "After they had been launched and had been smashed and held to a trench in front, about 120 yards away, the brigadier asked me to get up the guns and try and beat down the Turks’ fire. Although the boys were ‘dead beat’ up they came and we soon had the guns going from behind some bushes. Within 20 minutes the Turks’ fire was beaten. We had to hang on, expecting a counter-attack at any moment. Poor Major Grant was carried down that evening after dark. He died the next day, I believe/" In conclusion Captain Wallingford expresses the belief that at the end of his voyage back to New Zealand he will be well again and able to resume service. [AWN 09.12.1915] P.56

GREIG, Private Benjamin ‘Jock’, Wellington Infantry Battalion, reported to be killed on August 8, has now been reported a prisoner of war in a Constantinople hospital. Pte Greig arrived in NZ from Lowlands, Cressy, Tasmania, eight years ago and settled at Matawai, Gisborne. He went to the front with the third reinforcements. [AWN 02.12.1915] p.20

HAILWOOD, Private Chas. William, 1st Australian Battalion — Mrs C Hailwood of Frankton Junction, has received word that her son has been missing since June 5l He was born in Wellington 22 years ago and was educated at the Huntly and Hamilton schools. He worked for Messrs Ellis & Burnand for four years, subsequently joining the railway service. He was stationed at Wellsford and Frankton. He went to Australia three years ago and enlisted and left with the 1st Australian Infantry expeditionary force. He was put ashore at Lemnos Island suffering from bronchitis about April 19 and rejoined his battalion on May 11. [AWN 02.12.1915] p.20

HARRISON, Private Charles Benjamin, 28 yrs of age, was the youngest son of Mr A G Harrison, Maungaturoto, at which place he received his education. For some years he was engaged in stock work by Mr T Coates of Pukekararo, after which he bought a farm at Hunua. Deceased was a member of the old volunteer corps. He went to Egypt in the Auckland Mounted Rifles with the main body. His name appeared with many others who were posted on August 8 as ‘Missing: believed to have been killed’ after the charge at Walker’s Ridge. After official enquiry at Sarpi camp he is now reported as dead. Pte Harrison was brother and tent mate of Private Hayward HARRISON who fell in action on July 12. [AWN 16.12.1915] P.22

HARVEY, Private Robert M, who has been reported killed in action enlisted with the Hauraki Co of the Auckland Infantry Regt. He left NZ with the main body of the expeditionary force. He was a native of Scotland but had been in the Dominion for about six years. He worked at Taupiri as a miner and also in the gold mines at Waihi. His father, Mr John Harvey, lives at South Huntly. Pte Harvey was 23 yrs of age. [AWN 02.12.1915] P.20

HOWELL, Corporal Ben, 6th Haurakis, son of Mr John Howell, Wairoa, Hawkes Bay, who left with the main expeditionary force and was wounded at Achi Baba on May 8, has been invalided Home from Malta to Netley Hospital and is now on leave, pending discharge. On discharge he will commence work at one of the munition factories. Cpl Howell was several years in Price Brothers’ foundry, Thames, previous to joining the expeditionary force. [AWN 30.12.1915] P.20

HOWIE, Sergeant Douglas — Missing. Son of Mrs W Howie, Motumaoho near Morrinsville. In a letter written from Lemnos in regard to her son, Private H MARTIN says "I am very sorry I cannot give you any news of Douglas, although I have made every possible effort to learn something about him. We had been comrades through Epsom and Zeitoun camps, as well as having been together on Gallipoli with the first lot of New Zealanders. However, very soon after landing we got separated in the excitement of the fighting and I never saw him again. But you have the same comfort concerning him that I have — the certain knowledge that whatever has happened to him he had done all that a New Zealander could do. I cannot conscientiously hold out any but the slenderest hope of his having been taken prisoner and I know him too well to think that he would have submitted to that fate. He was a favourite with everyone in the company, not only because of his fine soldierly qualities but because he commanded the respect and spirit of camaraderie among his men, which only a man of moral strength and truly manly disposition could command. He recognised not only his duty to his country but at all times the responsibilities of his manhood and succeeded in implanting the same spirit of unselfishness and goodwill amongst his men. The Hauraki boys join in sending you sympathy." [AWN 30.12.1915] P.20

HUDSON, Lieutenant Athol The NZ Rhodes Scholar for 1916 was selected on Tuesday. Lieutenant Athol Hudson of the ninth reinforcements, was the successful candidate. He was nominated as a candidate for the scholarship by the Victoria College Professorial Board. He is a son of the late Dr James Hudson of Tapawera, Nelson, who was formerly in medical practice in Nelson for many years. Lieut HUDSON, who is now in camp at Trentham, has lately gained his commission. [AWN 23.12.1915] P.55

HUDSON, Lieutenant Athol, Ninth Reinforcements, was the successful candidate for the NZ Rhodes Scholarship for 1916. He was nominated as a candidate by the Victoria College Professional Board. [AWN 23.12.1915] P.55

HULTON, Sergeant T H, Auckland Mounted Rifles, who left NZ with the fourth reinforcements, was wounded on August 27 and is now in England. Sgt Hulton served in the Boer war as a subaltern with the Imperial Yeomanry and was formerly captain of the Matata Mounted Rifles. His wife resides at Rotorua. [AWN 09.12.1915] P.20

JACKSON, Acting Corporal Joshua Graham, died of wounds on the hospital ship Neuralia on November 11 from gunshot wounds in the abdomen, was the second son of Mrs Joshua Jackson of Northcote. He was employed on the Government railways and left with the first expeditionary force with the Wellington Battalion, subsequently transferring in Egypt to the Auckland Infantry. He took part in the landing on Gallipoli Peninsula and was wounded the same day, receiving a bullet in the body. He was in hospital at Alexandria and Birmingham, England. Corporal Jackson had been back in the firing-line about a month when he received the wounds which proved fatal. He was very popular in the railway service and took an active interest in cricket and League football. Two brothers are on active service, Pte John Frederick JACKSON being at present in hospital in Epsom, England, and Pte Herbert JACKSON, sixth reinforcements, in the firing-line. [AWN 02.12.1915] p.20

MATTHEWS, Gunner W T, of 24 Dunedin St, Ponsonby, wounded, is the eldest son of Mrs J Matthews. He was well known in sporting circles, particularly as late owner of the yacht Valdera which was a consistent winner. He was a prominent swimmer and formed one of the team to represent the Waitemata Club against the Sydney swimmers in 1912 but may be remembered best at carnivals for his diving capabilities. He captained the Te Awamutu football team, winners of the Waipa championship in 1913 and was for several years a member of the Ponsonby Club. He left with the fifth battery reinforce-ments. [AWN 23.12.1915] P.20

McBEATH, Sergeant Clyde, now in Beaufort Hospital, Bristol, sick, is a member of the machine-gun section of the Auckland Battalion. Although he enlisted as a private in the fourth reinforcements, he won promotion before leaving the Dominion. His parents, Mr & Mrs W McBeath, reside in Abbotsford St, Newmarket. Sgt McBeath is a well known member of the Hunt Club. [AWN 16.12.1915] P.22

McINTOSH, Private James, who died on the hospital ship Maheno on November 14, was the fourth son of Mr Allan McIntosh of Shag Point, Otago. He was born and educated at Shag Point and for some time he worked for Messrs W McGregor and Sons, Dunedin. From there he went to the employ of Messrs A & T Burt, Auckland, from which establishment he enlisted. He took a keen interest in football and was for many years a member of the Palmerston Club and also for two years a member of the Taieri Rovers Club, Dunedin. [AWN 30.12.1915] P.20

McLEOD, Trooper A D was the eldest son of Mr & Mrs D X McLeod of Whangarei. He was born at Purua 23 yrs ago and was educated at the Purua public school and at the Wanganui High School. He was a prominent footballer and was considered one of the most fearless and capable horsemen. Tpr McLeod enlisted in the main body and after seeing a great deal of service at Gallipoli was severely wounded in the shoulder. He spent five weeks in hospital, returning to the firing line about August 1. He was posted as missing since August 8 but private advices from the front indicate that he was killed in action during the severe fighting in which our troops were engaged on that date. Trooper K STEVENS of Maungatapere, writing to his mother, describes how ‘Axie’ McLeod fell while engaged in throwing back Turkish bombs on that occasion. Tpr Stevens also confirms the information already received that Tpr McLeod had been recommended for the distinguished conduct medal. He expressed the opinion that ‘no man on the peninsular deserved it more. He was one of the gamest men in the regiment and one of the most popular, being a good friend, a fearless soldier and one who ‘played the game’ at all times and under all circumstances.’ [AWN 23.12.1915] P.20

McMAHON, Trooper C P, 10th, Nelson, Regiment, Canterbury Mounted Rifles — Word has been received by his relatives as to the manner of his death. He was killed in action on August 6 or 7, the particulars contained in a letter from Sergeant Major PEGOU ‘ "During the night attack, while we were marching through the scrub, a Turk sprang out and attacked me with the bayonet. He aimed at my head but it struck my shoulder and did not serious harm beyond bruising and causing a slight skin hurt. Charlie, who was following me, instantly sprang forward and bayoneted the Turk but two seconds later poor old Charlie went down, shot through the heart. He was a faithful pal and a plucky fighter and he will be missed by his many friends." [AWN 16.12.1915] P.22

MUNRO, Sergeant Trumpeter Lewis George, Auckland Mounted Rifles, killed in action. His parents have received a letter from Lieutenant Colonel MACKESY in which he expresses his deep sympathy. "Your son was wounded by shrapnel in the shoulder on Chunuk Bair at 5 pm on August 8 and while being assisted down the hill to the dressing station by one of his mates another bullet found him. This time he was shot through the back and instantly killed. I saw a great deal of young Munro and it will be a comfort to you to know that in every way he was an exemplary and reliable soldier. By his death the King and country have lost a faithful and loyal man, while I feel as though another personal friend had been taken from me." [AWN 02.12.1915] P.20

NICCOL, Lieutenant G M, only son of Mr George Niccol of Auckland, cabled to his father on Sunday that he is at present in London on leave. Lieut Niccol was in England at the outbreak of war and with several other young Aucklanders enlisted in King Edward’s Horse. Later he received a commission in the Royal Field Artillery and he has been at the front in Flanders since June. [AWN 23.12.1915] P.20

PAGE, Private William Joseph Patrick — Writing from the Fulham Military Hospital, London, he says that he was wounded on August 13 when two shells from a Turkish gun burst right on top of him when on duty. When he picked himself up he found that he had a shattered arm. He went to the doctor’s dug out where he broke up a biscuit box and put his arm in splints himself. He then walked four miles to the beach and got on board a hospital ship at midnight. He is now getting on as well as can be expected. Pte Page is the second son of Mr William Page of Tamaki East. He was born at Whitford and was educated by the Sisters of the Mission, Howick, and at the Howick public school. He was brought up to farming and is 24 yrs of age. [AWN 02.12.1915] P.20

PERRETT, Private J D, 6th, Hauraki, Regiment, a son of Mr & Mrs J D Perrett of Devonport, who left with the main expeditionary force and spent 23 weeks in the trenches at Gallipoli, has been in hospital at Cairo suffering from shell shock. His parents have received official notice that he has been discharged from hospital and is now doing light duties at Zeitoun camp. [AWN 23.12.1915] P.20

SAUNDERS, Lieutenant C N, D.C.M., who returned by the Maunganui, took part in the original landing and was subsequently in charge of mining operations at Quinn’s Post for two months. In recognition of his valuable services during this period he received the decoration of the D.C.M. and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant on the field. He has been sent home on leave of absence on account of sickness. [AWN 23.12.1915] P.17

SHARP, Mr Basil, who left Morrinsville soon after the outbreak of the war, in order to join a regiment in England, has been badly wounded in France. He is an inmate of St George’s Hospital in London. [AWN 02.12.1915] P.20

SKELLERN, Private Sydney Elliot, who was killed in action on August 8, was the youngest son of Mr G E Skellern, postmaster at Mamaku. He was born in 1895, educated at Mamaku school and was engaged in the timber industry. For some years Pte Skellern was a keen member of the territorials, secretary of an Oddfellows Lodge and an enthusiastic member of the Mamaku Sports Club. He enlisted with the first party of New Zealanders which landed at Gallipoli. Since then he had been twice wounded and he finally met his death in that last great dash of the New Zealanders at Anzac. [AWN 02.12.1815] P.20

SPENCE, Sergeant J M, who is reported killed in action at the Dardanelles on November 4 18, was a son of Mr & Mrs J M Spence, Deveron St, Whangarei. He was 28 yrs of age and enlisted as a signaller in the main expeditionary force. Sgt Spence at one time was a reporter on the staff of the ‘Northern Mail’ and of the ‘Northern Advocate’, Whangarei, and became sub-editor of the North Auckland Times, Dargaville. He also had experience in Australia. [AWN 16.12.1915] P.22

STEWART, Lt Col [brother of Lt Downie Stewart, MP] died of dysentery at Lemnos. He was in charge of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles and was on the transport Southland when it was torpedoed. [AWN 02.12.1915]

STOREY, Trooper G H, Wellington Mounted Rifles, who is seriously ill, left Gisborne with the third reinforcements. He was a member of the East Coast Mounted Rifles and was a well known driver of coaches. [AWN 23.12.1915] P.20

SUGGATE, Corporal Percy G, 3rd Auckland Mounted Rifles — After many narrow escapes during 15 weeks at Gallipoli, he was invalided to Malta on August 15 and is now reported in the Royal Surrey Hospital, Guildford. Born in Northampton in 1892 he has resided in Auckland since he was five years old. He is an old King’s College boy and was a member of the East Coast Mounted Rifle. [AWN 16.12.1915] P.22

WALSH, Trooper Clifford James, 15th North Auckland, Regiment, main body, who was wounded on November 16, is a son of Mrs Margaret and the late William Walsh of 12 Ryle St, Ponsonby. He was latterly attached to the Signalling Corps of the Headquarters Staff at Gallipoli. Tpr Walsh has been through the whole campaign up to the time he was wounded. His brother Private Norman Hackett Walsh, aged 19, who went away with the fourth reinforcements, Auckland Infantry Battalion, died of dysentery in September at Malta. Tpr Walsh is an electrical engineer and was employed by the Telegraph Department at Whangarei before he went to the war. He is a member of the West End Rowing Club and a footballer and swimmer. [AWN 16.12.1915] P.22

WHITAKER, Sergeant Major Arthur Harry, who returned to NZ in the Tahiti is suffering from a second serious relapse and is again lying in a private hospital in Christchurch. His condition is causing grave anxiety to his friends. [AWN 02.12.1915] P.20

WILES, Private L W who left with the Auckland quota of the fourth reinforcements and was wounded at Gallipoli on August 7, has been sent from Alexandria to the 2nd Western General Hospital at Manchester. His injury — a fractured thigh bone, caused by a bullet — has necessitated his lying in bed for the space of about three months. In a letter just received by his parents, Mr & Mrs Wiles of Hayden St, he states that he is now making good progress towards recovery. [AWN 30.12.1915] P.20

WILLIAMS, Driver Edward Llewellyn, Army Service Corps, reported wounded, is 24 years of age, the fourth son of Mr & Mrs W H Williams, Carlton Gore Rd. An Auckland boy, he was educated at the Normal School. On leaving school he was employed by Messrs George Fraser & Sons but left them to go farming. He enlisted with the fourth reinforcements. His brother Evan, is at present in hospital in England. [AWN 02.12.1915] P.20

WILSON, Second Lieutenant John Leslie, who was wounded on November 28, is the son of Mr David Wilson of Cairn Lea. He was a member of the South Canterbury Mounted Rifles and when the war broke out he enlisted and went to Egypt with the main body. He landed at the Dardanelles on May 5 and took part in most of the fighting there. About August 11 he was sent in charge of a sniping expedition 10 miles away from his own regiment. On rejoining his regiment he found that two heavy charges had been made against the enemy in which several of his best friends had been killed or wounded. In September his company went to Mudros to recuperate, where he had a slight illness and was sent to hospital. Recovering in a month’s time he returned to the front. [AWN 23.12.1915] P.20

Return To HOME