MAY 1918

These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.

May 1918

ABBOTT, Major W N, MC, who is medical officer on the ship just returned with invalided men, sailed with the 2nd Reinforcements and has seen a great deal of service on Gallipoli and in France. He was formerly on the staff of the Auckland Hospital. [AWN 23.05.1918] P.16

AITKEN, Private H, son of J G Aitken, Devon Rd, Frankton, has been awarded the Military Medal. He is one of three brothers on active service and left with the Ambulance Corps of the 7th Reinforcements. He had not had a day’s illness since he left. Prior to enlistment he was employed by a local firm, Messrs Watt Hunt & Armstrong, Hamilton. His brothers left with the 10th and 13th Reinforcements. [AWN 23.05.1918] P.48

ALGOE, Corporal R, who was recently gassed, is now making a good recovery and hopes to be soon convalescent. He was blind for four days after being gassed. He was at one time a member of the literary staff of the Christchurch Press and the NZ Times and was on the staff of the Weekly News when he enlisted in the 12th Reinforcements. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.20

The news that the Rev Alexander ALLEN, chaplain to the forces, was killed in action in France on 8 May, was contained in a private cablegram received in Auckland on Monday from the Rev J A LUXFORD, chaplain to the forces. Mr Allen was one of the most promising of the younger Methodist ministers in NZ and his death is a distinct loss to the Church. After serving for a time at Featherston camp, Mr Allen left for the front last year. He was attached to the 4th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade, taking the place of Chaplain Walker, who returned to NZ. He was held in high esteem by his officers and men and he freely faced danger in carrying out his duties. Mr Allen was a student at the Methodist Theological College and Auckland University College and was a prominent member of the University Hockey Club and Debating Society. He was also a student preacher at the Auckland Central Mission. At various stages in his ministry he was stationed at Taihape, Timaru, Waikouaiti and Caversham. Mr Allen married Miss Eva SANDFORD, daughter of the late Mr E Sandford, at one time member of Parliament for Christchurch City. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.20

ALLEN, Lieut Col R C, DSO, Morrinsville, was the officer in charge of the recently arrived vessel carrying returned soldiers. He left NZ as Major in charge of the 9th Reinforcements. On arriving in Egypt he gained command of the 6th Haurakis, 1st Auckland Battalion, and after reaching France became second in charge of the Battalion. Upon Lieut Col PLUGGE, CMG, being appointed Director of Physical Training, he took command of the battalion which he led in the Messines attack, being wounded late on the first day when inspecting the new positions. He lay in the open for six hours before being found by the stretcher-bearers. For his excellent organization in this attack he was awarded the DSO. He has now been classed as again fit for service. A brother, Lieut Col Stephen ALLEN, has been in command of the 2nd Auckland Battalion since early in 1917 and was recently awarded a Bar to his DSO. A second brother, Lieut G C ALLEN, was killed in the October fighting. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.17

ANSON, Lieutenant Sir John Henry Algernon, RN, aged 21, has died on active service at sea. Sir John Anson was the elder son of the late Rear Admiral A H Anson and the Hon. Mrs Anson, who was a daughter of the sixth Lord Vernon. He succeeded his cousin, Sir Denis Anson — son of the late Mr F A Anson of Akaroa — who was drowned in the Thames while returning from a midnight excursion up-river at the beginning of July 1914. Sir Denis had only just succeeded his uncle, Sir William Anson, MP for Oxford University, as fourth baronet. Sir John, who was a cousin of Sir Denis Anson, entered the Royal Naval College at Osborne in September 1909, becoming midshipman in May 1914 and sub-lieutenant and lieutenant quite lately. The title goes to his brother, Edward Reynell Anson, who was born in 1902. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.29

APPLEGARTH, Mr R G, Land & Survey Dept., Auckland, is now in Paris in charge of the medical and surgical supplies department of the American Red Cross. He was obliged last year to give up his x-ray work at one of the French hospitals, his fingers having been affected. Fortunately, it is now hoped the trouble will not be permanent. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.29

BARRIE-PANTON, Lieut J, RFA, has been wounded. He was studying at Edinburgh before the war and served for some time in the NZFA before getting his commission. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

BEAUMONT, Lieut B W, RNVR (Auckland), has been transferred to an Italian port for duty after having been stationed for a while on the East Coast of England. He was honorary secretary of the NZ Yacht Squadron, Auckland. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.29

BELL, Major J McIntosh, of the Canadian Black Watch, formerly director of biological survey in NZ, has returned to England from Russia where he had been engaged under the Foreign Office. He is at present in hospital. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.29

BLAKE, Gunner S A, son of Mrs M Blake of Plunkett Rd, Mt Eden, was gassed on 10 April and admitted to a hospital in France. A later message states that he has been admitted to a hospital in England. He was wounded at the battle of the Somme in October 1916. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.20

BLOMFIELD, Bombardier E, of Takapuna, has returned after nearly four years service. He sailed with the Main Body Artillery and is now back on duty furlough. Some time ago he was gassed. [AWN 23.05.1918] P.16

BLOOMFIELD, Lieutenant E R of Auckland, left NZ early last year and has served in France as a transport officer and is now invalided from the effects of trench fever and an operation for appendicitis. [AWN 23.05.1918] P.20

BOUCHER - Three sons of Mr E W Boucher of Rotorua have joined the NZEF, one having been killed at the front and another wounded. Sapper Edgar W Boucher who, after having been reported as missing is now reported as killed in action on 12 October last was, prior to the war in the employ of Mr T McFarlane, C.E., as a surveyor. He was one of the Auckland signalers who went to Samoa with the Advance Court. At Samoa he joined the civil service and was appointed Assistant Surveyor to Mr McDonald. Later he re-enlisted and went with the 9th Reinforcements to Egypt and France. He was slightly wounded at Pozieres. He is supposed to have been killed by a shell whilst returning from carrying out a telephone wire (sic). One of his brothers, Private A F BOUCHER, who left with the 22nd Reinforcements was wounded on 4 October but has now recovered and is believed to be again in France. The youngest brother, Private C N BOUCHER, is now in camp. All three brothers were educated at the Pah College and at King’s College. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.18

BRAMLEY, Private Hudson Armond, who has been killed in action, was born in Whangaroa, 19 January 1894, and was the youngest son of Mr James T Bramley, of Claremont St, Newmarket. Prior to his enlistment he was employed as a sheet-metal worker in the business of Messrs Alex. Harvey & Sons. His genial and manly disposition made him a general favourite among a large circle of friends and his early death will be felt by many of his intimate friends. He leaves a wife and family to mourn their sad loss. [AWN 23.05.1918] P.20

BROWNLIE, Captain W, RAMC, attached to the Yorkshire Regt, has been killed. He came from Invercargill and graduated MA at Otago University in 1908 and B.Sc. in 1910. He then came to Edinburgh where he qualified in medicine early in 1916. He almost immediately took up a commission in the RAMC, getting his step in rank in February last year. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

CAMPBELL, Lieut J D who, prior to leaving Auckland as a member of the NZEF, was Chief Inspector of the Boy Scout Assn in NZ, has been awarded the Order of Merit by General Sir R Baden Powell, head of the Boy Scout Movement. The decoration which is the highest honour conferred in the movement is only given for some special service. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.47

Many friends in NZ will learn with regret of the death of Brig General Charles L K CAMPBELL, formerly of the 16th Lancers. He was in NZ from 1901 to 1906 as staff officer to Major General Babington, then commandant of the forces. He first saw active service in the Tirah campaign and was mentioned in despatches for staff work during the South African war. He went to the front with his regiment immediately on the outbreak of the war and was twice3 wounded. He was awarded the CMG last year. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

CAMPBELL, Captain T R, son of Mrs D Campbell of Ligar Place, Grafton Bridge, arrived in Auckland yesterday. He is attached to the Australian Expeditionary Force as a commissioner in connection with the Soldiers’ Comfort Fund. He saw service on Gallipoli and in France. He is proceeding shortly to report at Headquarters in Australia. [AWN 30.05.1918] p.22

CARTER, Major W G of Northcote, who sailed as a Lieutenant in the Auckland Mounted Rifles, has returned to NZ owing to an accident. He returned to Egypt and fought in Sinai until the action at Birelabd when his health broke down and he went to England. [AWN 23.05.1918] P.16

CHAYTOR, Major-General E W C, CB, CMG, ADC, NZSC, commanding the Anzac Mounted Division in Palestine, has been knighted. He is a member of a well known Marlborough family and has had a long military record. He served with the NZ Forces in the South African war from April 1900 to the declaration of peace in 1902 to the declaration of peace in 1902, being in command of the 3rd NZ Contingent during part of 1900, at which time he was severely wounded. Afterwards he was in command of the 8th Contingent and was mentioned in despatches for distinguished service. On the inauguration of compulsory training, General Chaytor joined the NZ Staff Corps and went Home to England for a course at the Staff College, Camberley, where he graduated. On his return to NZ he became adjutant-general to the forces, with the rank of colonel. He left NZ with the Main Body in October 1914, attached to the HQ Staff and rendered valuable service at Gallipoli where he was wounded about the middle of May 1915. After the evacuation he assumed command of the NZ Mounted Forces in Egypt and Palestine and was eventually promoted to the command of the Anzac Mounted Division, with the rank of major-general. General Chaytor was mentioned in despatches in August 1915 for his work at Gallipoli and was made a Companion of the Bath, while later he received the CMG and was appointed a Dominion ADC to the King. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.20

CLARK, Lieutenant Denzil H, Australian Imperial Forces, son of Mrs S H Clark, an old resident of Auckland, has been wounded and is in hospital in England. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.20

COLDICUTT, Gunner G L, who died of wounds, was the second son of G H Coldicutt of Karangahape Road. He was educated at the Newton East school and was afterwards engaged in business with his father. At the outbreak of war he was employed on home service and he left with the 11th Reinforcements, attached to the Field Artillery. At Sling camp he qualified as a first-class driver but later returned to the battery. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.20

COLE, Corporal David C, previously reported missing and now reported killed in action on 4 October, was the second son of Mr & Mrs D G Cole of Onehunga. He enlisted as a private and left as a sergeant with the 16th Reinforcements, NZEF. After three months special training at Tidworth (Sling) he was offered a position as an instructor but preferred to go to France where he was attached to a Lewis gun team. For conspicuous conduct at Messines he was recommended for distinction by his O.C. and was sent to represent his company at a review by the Duke of Connaught at Bailleul. He was killed at Passchendaele on 4 October when leading a bombing section. An elder brother is with the RAMC. [AWN 02.05.1918] P.20

COLE, Corporal David C, previously reported missing, now reported as killed in action on 4 October. Previous to his enlistment he was on the staff of the city treasurer’s office. After special training at Tidworth his stripes were confirmed and, although he was offered a position as instructor, he preferred going over to France where he threw in his stripes in order to join up with his old Grammar School comrades in Lewis gun work. At Messines he was the only man left of his team and after carrying out his mortally wounded chum, returned and rescued his Lewis gun. Regaining his stripes he underwent a special course in bombing. He was killed at Passchendaele on 4 October while leading his section there. An elder brother is about to sit for his final medical examination in Edinburgh and is a member of the RAMC. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.20

COOK, Lieut Col C F D, D.S.O., Wellington Infantry Regiment, has died in England of meningitis. He was the eldest son of the late Professor Cook, and was educated at Christ’s College and Canterbury College. He was a practicing solicitor in the North Island when he left for the front as a Captain in the Wellington Regiment. He was a prominent athlete. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.18

CORKILL, Captain T F, M.C., RAMC, is reported wounded. He has served with distinction since the beginning of the war and holds several foreign Orders. He went with the Italian Expeditionary Force recently. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

COUTTS, Trooper Edward — An instance of heroic self-sacrifice by a member of the Auckland Mounted Rifles in Palestine is related in a letter received in Auckland. Referring to the death of Trooper Coutts, who was killed in action in Palestine recently, a comrade writes: "Ted Coutts died one of the bravest deaths any man could. He was standing out in the open dressing the wound of a mate who had been hit by shrapnel, when a shell came over and killed him instantly. Had he looked after himself and sought cover the chances are that he would have been alive yet. He was a member of the Hotchkiss machine-gun grew and had the satisfaction of giving — or helping to give — the Turks a particularly hot time before he went under:. Trooper Coutts came to Auckland five years ago from the Shetland Islands to learn farming, with a view to settling in this province. He left with the 6th Reinforcements and from the time of going into camp until the day of his death had not once paraded sick. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.21

CRAIG, Mr Alec C., second son of the late Mr J J Craig, passed his flying test recently and is now on his way to England to join the Royal Flying Corps. [AWN 02.05.1918] p.47

CREAMER, Private Leonard, aged 26, who has been killed in action, was the elder son of Mr Hill Creamer of Wanganui Ave, Ponsonby. He was educated at the Mt Eden school and for some time after serving his apprenticeship with Messrs Gilmour & Joll, he followed the occupation of a mill smith in the Northern Wairoa district where he took a prominent part in football matters, being one of the best known forwards of the Northern Wairoa Club. He was subsequently engaged in farming with his brother in the Kaipara district. He left for the front with the 25th Reinforcements last year. His brother, Private Joel Creamer, who is now on active service, left NZ in the same draft. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.20

CROUCH, Lieutenant Foster B, DCLI, who is reported killed, was formerly in the Railway Dept in NZ and came to England in July 1915. The following month he joined the Inns of Court OTC and in August 1916 was commissioned to the DCLI. He had been in France eighteen months and had been mentioned in despatches. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

The death in action of Lieut Foster B CROUCH, DCLI, of Wellington, appeared in the London papers simultaneously with that of his father, Mr W F Crouch of Wellington. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

DECK, Lieut Col H O’B, NZMC, is to take over control of the King George V Hospital at Rotorua on 1 June, from Colonel Stuart NEWALL, CB, who has been honorary commandant of the institution since its establishment. Col Deck’s control is to be temporary as Col D S WYLIE of the Medical Corps is to be officer in permanent charge of the hospital. [AWN 30.05.1918] p.22

DEVEREUX, Major G de B, M.C., of the 1st, Auckland, Infantry Battalion, who has been in NZ on duty furlough, left Auckland on Thursday for Wellington. He is to rejoin his unit at the front. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.47

DYKES, Lieutenant Gordon, son of Mr James Dykes of Shortland Street, was dangerously wounded on 30 April. Prior to enlisting he was on the staff of the Bank of NZ. His brother Raymond, a member of the Machine-gun Corps, was wounded less than a fortnight previously. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.20

GADD, Private Herbert, who was killed in action, was a son of Mr H Gadd of Pokeno. He was a native of England and arrived in the Dominion with his parents 13 years ago. He was educated at the Newton West school and afterwards assisted his father in the latter’s grocery business in Karangahape Road until Mr Gadd Snr removed to the Waikato. Latterly he was in the employ of the United Timber Co, Mercer. He enlisted in the 19th Reinforcements. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.20

GASKELL, Lance Corporal F A, who has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, is the second Te Kowhai boy to win this distinction, Private Crawford WATSON having been awarded this honour for bravery at Gallipoli. L/Cpl Gaskell is at present serving in France and is one of four brothers who are on active service. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.23

GOODFELLOW, Captain J G, Royal Engineers (Auckland), who has been in France since early in 1916, has been appointed to the command of a field company, Royal Engineers, with the rank of major. This is one more instance of the appreciation which British military officers are showing of the valuable work performed by young New Zealanders attached to the British regiments. There are now quite a number of very young majors who are of New Zealand birth. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.29

GOODFELLOW, Major J G, R.E., has been killed in action. He belonged to Auckland and was assistant engineer to the Lyttelton Harbour Board until 1914 when he resigned to get experience abroad. In March of the following year he passed at the top of the list for the A.M. Inst. C.E. and was awarded the Bayliss prize. He then received a commission in an Edinburgh Company of the Royal Engineers, with which he went to the western front. He was promoted Captain in Auckland 1916 and major, commanding a field company, only a few months ago. His brother, Lieutenant E H GOODFELLOW, RFA, was killed in March 1916. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

GORRIE, Private William, son of the late Mr W Gorrie, formerly of the firm of J H Upton & Co., has died of wounds. He completed his education at the Auckland Grammar School and was subsequently with his father in business for some years, afterwards becoming a partner in the sharebroking firm of Mowbray and Gorrie. He enlisted and left NZ with the 24th Reinforcements and was wounded on 10 May. Pte Gorrie, who was about 42 years of age and single, was a nephew of Mr H Gorrie of Buckland & Sons Ltd. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.20

GREIG, Sister E T, who is serving in the 3rd Australian General Hospital in France, has been mentioned by Sir Douglas Haig in despatches. She is the daughter of Mr & Mrs Greig of Glenalvon. [AWN 30.05.1918] p.22

GWILLIAM, Gunner G W A, who has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry on the field, is a son of Mr G W A Gwilliam of Wanganui Ave, Ponsonby. Although only now 21 years of age, he has been on active service ever since the proclamation of the outbreak of war in August 1914, when, as a member of the Garrison Artillery, he was called out for service at one of the forts. He was then only 17 ½ years of age. A few months later he went into camp at Trentham and he left NZ with the divisional ammunition column in the 7th Reinforcements. Gunner Gwilliam remained a few months in Egypt and afterwards went to France where he has served for over two years. He was educated at the Newton West school. When war broke out he was employed in the locomotive branch of the Railway Dept. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

HARPER, Trooper Eric, who was a member of the famous All Black football team, has been killed in action in Palestine. He was a married man about 37 years of age and went away with a mounted reinforcement about a year ago. He was the son of Mr George Harper, the well known Christchurch solicitor, who lost another son, Lieut Gordon HARPER, in fighting in Egypt early last year. Another son, Captain Robin HARPER, MC, returned to NZ badly wounded recently. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.20

HARPER, Lieutenant Norman, died of wounds, was a son of Mr Benjamin Harper, clerk of the Magistrates Court, Dunedin, and the son in law of Mr W N Poole, postmaster at Cambridge. The late Lieut Harper was educated at the Greymouth District High School and later joined a firm of surveyors in Greymouth. He went away with the Main Body and saw service at Gallipoli and in Belgium and France. He was selected for a commission on the field. He was in NZ on furlough seven or eight months ago, returning to England in charge of a reinforcement draft. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.20

HART, Brig General H, DSO, (Wellington) who commanded the Fourth Brigade from is formation until it was absorbed in the others, has been transferred to command the Second Brigade, in place of Brigadier General W G BRAITHWAITE, CMG. General Braithwaite, who previously belonged to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, has now severed his connection with the NZ Division on taking up the appointment of B.G.G.S of a British Corps. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.29

HENDERSON, Major G D, DSO, M.C., Royal West Kent Regt, son of Mr A D Henderson, Christchurch, manager in London for the NZ Farmers Co-operative Assn, is reported missing. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

HINDLE, Lieutenant Harold Brian, killed in action, was a son of the late David Burn and Elizabeth Hindle. He was born in 1893 and educated at St John’s, the Pah, Auckland, Wanganui College and Christ’s College, Cambridge, England. When the war broke out he was in camp with King Edward’s Horse. He was given a commission in the RFA in December 1914 and went to France two months later. In September 1915 he was wounded at Loos. After six months leave he returned to France as first lieutenant with a howitzer brigade. Early in June 1916 he was appointed officer orderly to the colonel and in August ADC to the general commanding the division. In October he went to England on short leave. His health broke down and he was not able to leave England for some months. In March 1917 he was appointed instructor in an officer cadet school at Bournemouth. The school closed six months later and he joined the RFA again and returned to France in September 1917. On Christmas Day he was appointed acting staff captain. In February last he returned to the firing line where he stayed until he was killed on 29 March. [AWN 02.05.1918] P.20

HINTON - A creditable record of service for the Empire is that of the family of Mr Thomas Hinton of Eureka, Waikato. Four members of the family have seen active service with the NZ forces. Claud HINTON joined the Samoan Contingent and upon his return to NZ enlisted in the 5th Reinforcements. He saw action at Gallipoli and in France, being wounded in each of these theatres of war. He was in hospital for a considerable time and invalided back to NZ, being discharged as unfit for further service. Sergeant Thomas George HINTON, Main Body Divisional Signal Corps served in Egypt and Gallipoli and was wounded on the Peninsula. He returned to NZ with the rank of Sergeant Major and returned to Palestine with the 28th Reinforcements with the rank of Lieutenant. Sergeant Frank A HINTON left with the 15th Reinforcements. While training in England he injured his leg and resigned to take up a position in the Royal Flying Corps in England and recently obtained the rank of Flight Lieutenant. Private Ross HINTON, 29th Reinforcements, took part in the recent fighting in France and was severely wounded on 1 April. [AWN 02.05.1918] p.22

HODSON, Lieut B J, who visited NZ as the representative of the Central News Agency on the occasion of the return of Scott’s Expedition from the Antarctic, has been killed in action. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

HOPKINS, Lieutenant R S P, the Defence Dept being unable to find a place for him as an officer, and who has been group officer at Timaru for some time past, left on Friday to go into camp as a private. He was to have gone as a lieutenant with the 5th Reinforcements but a severe illness prevented him. Being young and single, and as married men are going into camp, he thought it has duty to go too, therefore he enlisted. [AWN 23.05.1918] P.17

HORNE, Gunner John Charles, who died of wounds on 20 April, was formerly of Clevedon. He was a particularly successful student at the Auckland Technical College. He was a member of the ‘A’ Battery prior to the war and he enlisted in the 5th Battery, NZFA, 14th Reinforcements. He had been all through the campaign on the western front. His elder brother, William S HORNE of the 7th Battery, NZFA, 16th Reinforcements, was also in France and being severely wounded at Messines on 4 June, was invalided home to NZ. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.20

HOUCHEN, Rev Clement, MC, is with the draft which arrived at Auckland recently on a transport with returning soldiers. He was formerly vicar at Te Kuiti. He left with the original Rifle Brigade, gained the Military Cross for distinguished service on the Somme and was wounded at Passchendaele, losing an eye. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.17

HUME, Major Francis G, RNZA, has returned on the recently arrived transport of returning soldiers. He left as a Captain with the Main Body Artillery and has served through Gallipoli and in France. He has returned on furlough. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.17

KENNY, Sub-Lieut Hilary A H S, RND, son of the late Dr A S Kenny of Onehunga and of Mrs Kenny of Westcliff, has been killed in action. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

KING, Captain W J, who has received the Military Cross, is the son of Walter King, licensee of the Commercial Hotel, Auckland. He was an Auckland representative rugby footballer and a member of the College Rifles Club. He left NZ as a 2nd Lieutenant with the 15th Reinforcements in 1916 and was promoted to Captain about six months later. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.45

The report that Major F B KNYVETT formerly of Auckland, died recently, has happily proved to be unfounded. The cablegram from New York published about three weeks ago referred to the death, not of Major Knyvett but of Captain R H KNYVETT, an Australian officer who was wounded at the front in November 1916 and who on his return to Queensland delivered a number of stirring recruiting messages. He was granted a commission in the RFC as Captain and engaged by the American Co. to deliver war lectures throughout the United States. He was married in the United States to Miss Lilian MAUDE, niece of Mr Cyril Maude, the actor, and the late General Maude. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.22

LYONS, Captain Michael J of Devonport, sailed with the Main Body as a Sergeant Major in the Artillery, being previously in the permanent Artillery. He gained his commission on the field at Gallipoli and was promoted to Captain in France. He was wounded at Gallipoli and is now back on duty. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.17

MACDONALD — A writer in the Stornoway Gazette makes an interesting reference to Chaplain Major Angus Macdonald of the NZ forces. He says "I should like to inform the readers of the Gazette who do not see the London papers that Major Macdonald has been accorded a high honour this New Year by His Majesty the King. This is not the first time his services as a soldier received recognition. After the relief of Ladysmith he was mentioned in dispatches by Sir George White ‘for devotion to duty’ and towards the end of the same campaign he was again mentioned in dispatches by General Walker Kitchener, a brother of the last Earl Kitchener ‘for gallant conduct’. Shortly after his return to India, on the conclusion of the South African campaign, Major Macdonald was granted two years leave on full pay and free traveling allowance by the Indian Government for services rendered. Shortly after the outbreak of the present war he turned up in Egypt with the NZ Forces, where his long experience and training was made full use of in organizing hospital work and in dealing with the wounded of the Gallipoli campaign. At the end of 1915 he was promoted to the rank of major and mentioned in dispatches by Sir Ian Hamilton for good work done under most trying circumstances. At the same time he received the thanks of the NZ Parliament for his work in caring for the wounded. In October last year he was given the position of Assistant Chaplain-General and on 4 January of this year his name appeared in the London Gazette as an Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire — OBE — an honour awarded by the King for services rendered in connection with the war. I am sure all the readers of the Gazette will join me in wishing Angus, as he is best known to his friends, many long years of life and happiness. Major Macdonald’s headquarters are at the NZ Hospital, Hornchurch, Essex." [AWN 16.05.1918] P.21

MARSHALL, Corporal W A, D.C.M., who was killed in action on 16 April, had been twice wounded previously. He received his decoration soon after returning to the trenches a few months ago. He was a son of the late Mrs Barton Elliott of Rukuhia, Waikato, and was educated at the Stratford District High School and a grandson of the late Mr J Longley, a former resident of Auckland. Cpl Marshall, who was 27 years of age at the time of his death, was a member of the Australian forces. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.20

MARSHALL, Lieutenant John Willoughby Hadfield, York and Lancashire Regt, who is reported to have been killed on 21 March, was the eldest son of Mr J W Marshall of Tututorara, Rangitikei and came to the front with an early reinforcement of the Wellington Battalion. He got his commission in the Imperial Army just a year ago and after a few months training at Sunderland, he went over to France. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

MASON, QM Sergeant A, has been awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre. He was at the Gallipoli landing and served for the whole campaign with the exception of three weeks. He was decorated for work at Passchendaele. [AWN 23.05.1918] P.20

MATTHEWSON, Private Hugh, of the 16th Waikato Co., Auckland Infantry Battalion, whose death from wounds on 1 April has been reported, was the third son of Mr John Matthewson of Leith St, Dunedin. The deceased soldier was educated at the Albany Street school. Subsequently he was in the employ of Messrs Hallenstein Bros for nine years and later he joined the staff of Wright Stephenson & Co. in whose service he remained for over six years. He became well and favourably known to the trade both in the North and South Islands. In October 1914 he became assistant produce manager of the Farmers’ Co-operative Auctioneering Co. of Hamilton. In March 1917 he entered upon his soldier’s duties and sailed in June last with the 26th Reinforcements. [AWN 02.05.1918] P.20

MAYALL, Sergeant David, son of Captain Geo Mayall of Valley Rd, Mt Eden, has been awarded the Military Medal for meritorious work in the field. He left NZ with the Main Body. Whilst a patient in hospital in October 1917, he voluntarily acted as a donor for blood transfusion, with the object of saving the life of a comrade. The army commander in routine orders has expressed his appreciation of the gallant conduct of Sgt Mayall. Three of Captain Mayall’s sons are now at the front, a fourth having returned recently. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

McANNALLY, Private Samuel Clery, who recently died of wounds received in action, was a resident of Onehunga. He volunteered and joined the 25th Reinforcements, being at the time of enlistment employed at the Southdown Freezing Works. He served also in the South African War, going to South Africa on two occasions. He first enlisted in Tasmania and afterwards joined the 8th NZ Contingent at Invercargill. He was soon promoted to sergeant. He had the South African medal with five clasps. His father, who was an Indian Mutiny veteran, died about two years ago. Private McAnnally leaves a widow who resides at Onehunga. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.20

McCAW, Captain W C, FRCS, NZMC, has undergone an operation at the No.2 NZ General Hosp;ital, Walton, the index finger of his left hand having been amputated. Pawn 16.05.1918, p.29]

McCORMICK, Private D J, killed in action, was the eldest son of Mr D McCormick, Kihikihi. He was educated at Kihikihi and prior to enlisting in the 21st Reinforcements, was engaged in farming. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.20

McGILP, Major C, DSO, 2nd O/C of the returned draft of invalided men, left with the Main Body in command of the 1st Battery, NZFA. He served through the whole of the Gallipoli campaign and was in command of the last gun in action at the evacuation. He has seen continuous service in France, returning on account of ill health. He is the last of the original battery commanders who left with the Main Body. [AWN 23.05.1918] P.16

MEIKLE, Captain H C, who has received the Military Cross, is the eldest son of Mr David Meikle of Auckland. He attended Mt Eden School, the Grammar School and Auckland University College. He was also at St John’s College and was a teacher on the staff of the Grammar School and King’s College. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.45

MONTGOMERIE, 2nd Lieut H Seton, Wanganui, of the Sherwood Foresters, attached RFC, was wounded in France last week. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

MOORE, Lieutenant J J, Military Medal, adjutant to the ship just arrived with invalided men, left as Staff Sergeant Major in the Engineers, 4th Reinforcements. He was promoted on Gallipoli and is now back on duty. He is the holder of a Servian decoration for work on Gallipoli. [AWN 23.05.1918] P.16

MORITZEN, Lieut Louis, MC, Military Medal, of Epsom, was the adjutant of the vessel which recently arrived in Auckland with returning soldiers. He has a distinguished record. He left the Dominion as a Sapper in the Divisional Signal Co. and was wounded on the first day of the Gallipoli landing. He returned at the end of May and served until September. He gained the Military Medal for the Somme action and later was promoted to Lieutenant. He received the Military Cross for distinguished conduct in the Passchendaele fighting. He has returned on duty furlough. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.17

MUNRO, Private Hector John, reported killed in action in France on 26 March, was the eldest son of Mr Robert Munro of Pokeno. He left NZ with the 28th Reinforcement. Until he enlisted on his 20th birthday, he was engaged in pastoral and flaxmilling pursuits. He was 21 years of age at the time of his death. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.20

NELSON, 2nd Lieutenant W T (Pat), aged 24, third son of Mr & Mrs W T Nelson of Fitzroy Road, Napier, was killed in action on 18 April. He was a member of the Main Body and had seen service in the East as well as in France. He was a keen yachtsman and good all round sportsman. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.20

A returned soldier, Sapper C C NEVILL, who died at Thames, was buried with military honours on Friday. Word has been received that he leaves a daughter aged 14 at Nelson. [AWN 23.05.1918] P.17 [Also P.22, 23 Mary 1918]

NORGROVE, Private Norman, son of Mr C Norgrove of Richmond, who was wounded on 23 April, has had his right leg amputated. He is progressing favourably. He left NZ with the 21st Reinforcements. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.20

NORTON, 2nd Lieutenant R H, recently returned dangerously ill with a gunshot wound in the face and chest, is the youngest son of Mr H H Norton of Auckland. He enlisted as a private with an early NZ reinforcement, and saw continual service at Gallipoli and in France until granted a commission last year. He has been wounded on several occasions. He later acted as bombing instructor at Sling Camp but early this year elected to return to the trenches and took part in the recent severe fighting. He was previously on the local staff of the Public Trust Department and was well known in hockey and yachting circles. Two of his brothers are on active service, Sergeant S H NORTON with the Australian Forces, and Corporal L H NORTON, acting as bayonet instructor at Trentham. [AWN 23.05.1918] p.16

O’RORKE, Captain Dennis Clifford, of the King’s Royal Rifles, killed in action, was a grandson of the late Speaker of the House of Representatives. He came to Lincoln College, Oxford, in 1913 from Wanganui College and gained a good reputation in athletics. He entered Sandhurst in October 1914, and received a commission in the King’s Royal Rifles a month or two later, crossing to France in December. He was at an early stage employed on the staff of an infantry brigade and was wounded and twice gassed in 1915. In January 1916 he was mentioned in despatches and the following January promoted captain. In June of last year, when he held the acting rank of major, he was awarded the Military Cross for gallantry and resource in taking command of another company in addition to his own and handling a difficult position with great skill. His brother, Lieutenant M H O’RORKE of the 12th Lancers, is in hospital in England suffering from wounds. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

PATTRICK, Staff Nurse A, of Christchurch Hospital, who came Home recently by the hospital ship Marama, has been appointed matron of the London Institution for Infants. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.29

PETTIT, Captain Harold of Nelson, has been appointed one of three on a Special Medical Board in France. He joined the RAMC at the outbreak of war, remaining three years, when he transferred to the NZMC. He has served in Gallipoli. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.47

PLUGGE, Colonel Arthur, CMG, left NZ in command of the Auckland Battalion, Main Body and has now returned on duty with a draft of men invalided home. He led his battalion in the Anzac landing being wounded in the right arm. After treatment in England he returned to Gallipoli and was one of the last to leave at the evacuation. He subsequently went to France where some time ago he was appointed Director of Physical Training to the NZ Division. Speaking of the draft he said they were an excellent crowd who kept cheery and always ‘played thye game’. He was glad to have with him over 100 Gallipoli men, including 23 of the Main Body. [AWN 23.05.1918] p.16

ROGERS - A good record of service has been established by the sons of Mr W Rogers of Brighton Road, Parnell. Private F T ROGERS, the third son, who left with the 28th Reinforcements, has been killed in action. The second son, Private W E ROGERS, left with the 9th Reinforcements and has recently returned badly wounded. Sergeant J H ROGERS, the eldest son, left with the Main Body, was wounded twice at Gallipoli and after the evacuation went to France where he was again wounded twice. He was recently awarded the Military Medal. After recovering from his last wound, he returned to France. All three soldiers were born and educated in Australia. [AWN 23.05.1918] p.16

SANDERSON, Private R, 13th Reinforcements, youngest son of Mrs B Sanderson of Okupu, Great Barrier, previously reported wounded, is now reported wounded and missing. He was one of four brothers who volunteered and went on active service, two being killed in action in October 1917. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.20

SANDERSON, Private Robert, 13th Reinforcements, previously reported as wounded and missing, is now reported as being killed in action on 30 March. He was the youngest son of the late Mr Benjamin Sanderson of Okupu, Great Barrier. Prior to his enlistment he was employed on the Stratford railway. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.20

SCOTT, Driver W, second son of Mrs W A Scott, 54 First Avenue, Kingsland, has been wounded in the thigh and admitted to hospital. He enlisted in Gisborne as driver in the Field Artillery and was among the first New Zealanders in to France, where he was wounded for the second time. On the first action he was driving a special wagon when a shell fell and killed the team, including the horse he was riding. He was wounded slightly in the hip. His elder brother John O SCOTT, is convalescing in England after having been wounded in France, and his younger brother, Edward A SCOTT, was killed in the recent German advance. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.45

SIMMS, Rifleman Frederick, reported died of wounds in France on 1 April, was the eldest son of Mr J Simms of Armadale Rd, Remuera. After leaving school he was employed at the Weekly News Office for about five years when he left to join a Government survey party conducted by his father. He was engaged with other surveyors after his father’s retirement from service. He left NZ with the 18th Reinforcements. His younger brother, James Eric, who enlisted with the 22nd Reinforcements, was severely wounded in October last and has recently been invalided back to New Zealand. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.20

SINCLAIR, Private A, NZEF, son of Mr John Sinclair of Auckland, has been wounded in France. He was born in Auckland and enlisted with an early reinforcement and at the time of his wound had been over three years on active service. He was a good athlete and took much interest in sport, being for several years an enthusiastic member of the Pakuranga Hunt Club. He had applied for a transfer to the Flying Corps and had made one flight prior to his wound, which was received while on ordinary duty. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.20

SMALL, Private Leonard Ernest, who was killed in action on 28 March, left with the 7th Reinforcements as a member of the Rifle Brigade. He was the youngest son of Mrs K Small of Morningside and was educated at the Mt Albert school. He was a prominent Rechabite, being one of the pioneer members of the Kingsland junior tent and upon his transfer to the Hope of Eden Tent, he passed through the various chairs of the Order. [AWN 02.05.1918] P.20

SHEA, Lieutenant Peter John, recently reported wounded, is a son of Mrs M Shea, Calliope Rd, Devonport, and of the late Mr Peter Shea. He was educated at the Sisters of Mercy Convent and afterwards at the Devonport District School and the Technical College. He always took active interest in military matters, being a lieutenant in the school cadets and later in the senior cadets at Devonport. When war broke out he enlisted and was attached to the garrison at Fort Cautley. He left NZ with the 12th Reinforcements and was invalided from Egypt. He left again with the 23rds, Rifle Brigade, and was in action in France when he was wounded. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.20

SPROTT, Captain Maurice W C, M.C., son of the Bishop of Wellington, who was killed in action on 21 March, graduated MA at Victoria College and then came to Peter-house, Cambridge, where he took his BA. In 1911 he was appointed an assistant-master at Victoria College, Jersey. He got his commission in the Norfolk Regt in November 1914 and was wounded on the western front in 1916. He was awarded the Military Cross early last year for his conduct in a raid on enemy trenches and in getting back the wounded under very heavy fire. At the time of his death he was adjutant to his battalion. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.18

STEVENS, Private John J of the 8th Reinforcements, is the second son of the Stevens’ family, formerly of Aratapu, to give his life for the great cause. He was wounded twice, first on 15 August 1916 at the Somme, exactly a month before his brother, Rifleman Chas. P STEVENS, was killed in action on 15 September 1916. His second wound was received at Bellevue Spur on 16 October, 1917. News has now been received that he was killed in action on 5 April. His widowed mother now lives at Rostrevor St, Hamilton. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.20

STEVENS, Private John J, who was killed in action on 5 April, was the second son of the late Mr W T Sevens, formerly of Aratapu. His mother resides at Hamilton. He left for the front with the 8th Reinforcements and was wounded at the battle of the Somme on 15 August 1916 and at Bellevue Spur on 16 October 1917. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.20

TATTERSALL, Private T N, killed in action, was the only son of Mr L Tattersall of Papatoetoe and late of Otahuhu. He was born at Brookby and was educated at Brookby and Clevedon schools and King’s College. He was a builder by trade. He was 26 years of age and left with the 26th Reinforcements. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.20

TOLHURST, Captain A M, RAMC, son of Mr G E Tolhurst, formerly inspector of the Union Bank of Australia, has been killed on the western front. Mr G E Tolhurst of Wellington and formerly of Auckland, is well known as a former inspector of the Union Bank of Australia. Captain Tolhurst, who was born in Auckland, was educated at Wellington College and received his medical education at Guy’s Hospital, London. Before the war he was practicing in Wellington and since the outbreak of hostilities he has been engaged in various spheres of war work, including service in the hospital ships. During last summer he was attached to the Walton on Thames Hospital near London but for some time past he had been on the western front. He leaves a wife and two young children in England, the younger child being a son only a few weeks old. His brother, Lieutenant R M TOLHURST, who left with the Rifle Brigade in one of the early reinforcements is now serving in France. [AWN 23.05.1918] P.17

VALENTINE, Gunner Stacy G N, who was killed in action in France last month, was the elder son of Regimental Sergeant Major Valentine of Devonport. He left with the 5th Reinforcement, saw service on Gallipoli and was at the evacuation. He went to France with the first New Zealanders. He was later invalided to England as the result of wounds received on the Somme and was afterwards twelve months in the firing line before being wounded a second time on 10 April last. He was killed a week later. The late Gunner Valentine was a grandson of Mr George (Rowley) Hill, the wearer of many medals, among them being the NZ Cross, Indian Mutiny, Turkish and Crimean medals. [AWN 23.05.1918] P.20

VERNON, 2nd Lieut Ronald, who was recently reported wounded, is the second son of Mrs S Vernon, Owen’s Road, Epsom. He left Auckland with the Main Body as a private. He served right through the Gallipoli campaign and left the peninsula as a sergeant. He received his commission on the field in France, having taken part in every big engagement shared by the NZ troops. A younger brother returned wounded at the end of last year. [AWN 09.05.1918] P.20

WALKER, Private Eric T L, who was killed in action on 30 March, was the seventh son of Mrs M Walker of Otumoetai and was a brother of Professor Maxwell Walker of Auckland University College. He was born at Otahuhu and was educated at Tauranga where he lived for many years. After leaving school he took up teaching under the Auckland Education Board and was employed in a Waikato school at the time of his enlistment. Pte Walker, who was only 20 years of age, was a fine athlete. During the two years of his service with the NZEF he was once wounded and once suffered from shell-shock. A brother, Private Cecil WALKER, was killed on Gallipoli. [AWN 30.05.1918] P.20

WATSON, Private Crawford - see GASKELL [AWN 16.05.1918]

WHITE, Gunner Roy Kessell, who has been killed in action, was the only son of Mr C K White of Messrs H E Partridge and Co. He was educated at the Mt Eden school and served his apprenticeship with Mr Croft, organ builder, of Auckland. After spending some time as one of the guard at Fort Cautley he left with the 21st Reinforcements. He was 23 years of age and took an active part in outdoor sport, being a prominent member of the Mt Eden Hockey Club. [AWN 23.05.1918] P.20

WILD, Petty Officer H Ernest, RN, has met his death in the Mediterranean, while serving on a mine-sweeper. In the last Shackleton expedition to the Antarctic, he was one of the Aurora party and had charge of the stores. He behaved with conspicuous bravery after the Aurora had been blown from her moorings off the Ross Barrier and it was chiefly owing to his efforts that the men left behind were saved. Ernest Wild was a brother of Frank Wild, Shackleton’s second in command. [AWN 16.05.1918] P.29

Return To HOME