You can learn more about the history of this community and their synagogues at
History of Pine
Bluff Congregations. The temple shown below in three old postcard photos was a brick structure built in the Moorish style at the corner
of Poplar Street and Second Avenue. It no longer exists.
The cemetery is enclosed within the Bellwood Complex on West Pullen Street where the Jewish burials lie in a section reserved among the otherwise
Christian interments. A paved road leads from several entrances to the back area where the Anshe Emeth Cemetery enclosure can be found. Due to the nature of the water table, part of the Jewish
burial grounds are subject to being waterlogged during and after rain storms. The cemetery was first opened in 1867. Two old postcard photos of
the Bellwood Complex are shown below.
The Jews of Pine Bluff were a conspicuous element in the local social and economic fabric. Shown below is an old postcard on which a sketch of the Jewish temple shares
space with three Chirstian churches. Also shown are two old postcard shots of Jewish commerce in Pine Bluff: the
Kantor and Bluthenthal Store and Rosenberg's Book Store. Naturally, these families are well represented at Anshe Emeth Cemetery.
The old postcard photos shown here are reproductions of originals found at Paul Perdue's pinebluffpostcards.com. We are grateful to Paul for making them available on this site.
Old Postcard Perspective 1
Old Postcard Perspective 2
Old Postcard Perspective 3
Bellwood Cemetery Entrance
Where Anshe Emeth Cemetery is Enclosed
Note: Roadway is Now Paved
Four Religious Structures
Including Temple Anshe Emeth
Kantor and Bluthenthal Store
Rosenberg's Book Store
Return to Selected Southern Jewish Databases.