Photographs presented by Libby Toop

Reverend John NICHOLLS        
  The Reverend John Nicholls, husband of Mary Harland, wes educated privately for the primitive Methodist ministry in the City of Durham. He was ordained and held several situations in Durham and Northumberland including Hetton-le-Hole, Allenheads, Shotley Bridge, Lowick, Beal and Ford. He emigrated to Montreal in 1874 joining the Presbyterian Church becoming Minister of St Mark's Church, Haymarket Square. Following his death in 1898 the following minute appeared in the church records:
".....The Presbytery desire to put on record their deep sense of the loss the Presbytery and the City of Montreal have sustained in the loss of Rev John Nicholls. He has been a prominent figure in the city for the last twenty three years, and during all these years has been greatly interested in all the philanthropic and religious questions of the day.
.....During the memorable floods in Montreal he was foremost in bringing relief to the sufferers. When the city was threatened with a smallpox epidemic in 1885 he vaccinated hundreds of the poor."
  King's School, Westmount, Montreal about 1910.  
    Mary's brother, John Harland 1845-1909, of Robin Hood's Bay, having trained and served as a pupil teacher in Yorkshire, also emigrated to Montreal where he became principal of the King's School.  
  Dr Albert George Nicholls      
    John and Mary's son, Albert George Nicholls b1870, was a noted pathologist who was joint author of Principles of Pathology by Dr Adami and later became editor of the Journal of the Canadian Medical Association. He is shown here in his militia uniform in WW1.
He married Lucia Pomeroy Van Vliet, b 1874. Lucia grew up in Odeltown in Quebec province and pictured below is the town Methodist Church. Lucia's paternal grandparents attended this church along with other relatives.
Not far from here there was an important battle in the rebellion of 1838 in which Lucia's grandfather took part.

On the right is Albert's sister, Amy Wilhelmina Nicholls, graduating from McGill in 1896.


The church was built in 1823 by people from the North Riding of Yorkshire and people who had moved up from New York State and were mostly of Dutch or German origin. It is thought possible that the frieze may well have been designed and made by one or more experienced Yorkshire craftsmen.