Richard Larsom was listed on the 1805 muster of Norfolk Island. There is no record of how or when he left the island. Neither Richard nor his older brother, William Brooks, travelled with their mother, Ann Brooks, when she left Norfolk with James Morrisby and their five children in 1807 to travel to Van Diemens Land. It is possible that the two brothers went to Port Jackson or signed on a ship.

By January 1813 Richard had arrived in Van Diemens Land, he was a witness at the wedding of Daniel Anderson and Elizabeth McLeod. A few weeks later Richard married Ann, the daughter of Thomas and Ann Kidner in St. David's Church in Hobart. 
Nine children
were born to Richard and Ann Larsom..

In 1817 Richard Larsom cautioned the inhabitants of Hobart against accepting a note of hand for the sum of £9, which he had lost and offered a generous reward to anyone who brought it to him.
The following year he was made a constable at Pittwater (Sorell). He was dismissed for fraud and his family returned to Hobart. In 1828 Richard and Ann were living at Sorell on their 40 acre grant, but by 1830 they had taken up land at Pipe Clay Lagoon (Cremorne).

"The True Colonist of 25th September 1835 reported:
"An incident has occurred near the residence of Mr. R. Larson in Muddy Plains. His daughter saw an object in the water which Mr. Larson was able to identify as a type of seal, because he was a seal catcher. He and Mr. William Cooley, who was staying at his residence, armed themselves with garden hoes and attacked the animal. The animal was a sea elephant, 15 ft. 9ins. long and weighed 400 lbs. A gentleman passer-by was called to help but was scared off when he saw the jaws of the animal."

On the 29th April 1836 the "Colonial" newspaper noted that Richard had a strong team of oxen at Ralphs Bay Neck and would haul boats across on a sledge. The charge was 5/- for a five oared whale boat and larger boats in proportion; luggage was 5/- a load.

The 1842 census shows Richard and Ann living at Ralphs Bay in a completed wooden building known as "Lexington Cottage".

Richard died 15th July 1849 and Ann died five years later, 18th January 1854, both are buried at St. Matthew's Church in Rokeby.
RICHARD LARSOM (c1791-1849)