Places in Tasmania

Family Tree

of Trudy Mae COWLEY

Home Updates Links

Places in Tasmania

This page last updated:  23 March 2008

Antill Ponds     Bicton River     Bishopsbourne     Black Brush     Black Snake Inn     Blackman River    Blendon     Breadalbane     Broadmarsh     Campbell Town     Carrick     Caveside     Chudleigh     Cleveland     Corra Lynn     Cressy     Curraghmore     Cygnet     Deloraine     Elizabeth Town     Ellendale     Epping Forest     Evandale    Exton     Fingal     Franklin Village     Geeveston     George Town     Glenorchy     Glenore     Granton     Gravelly Beach     Hagley     Half Way House     Hamilton     Hobart     Isis     Kettering     Kingston     Launceston     Lemana Junction     Longford     Macquarie Harbour     Margate     Melville     Moorina     Mt Seymour     New Norfolk     New Town     Nile     Norfolk Plains     Oaks     Oatlands     Pateena     Perth     Port Arthur     Port Sorell     Rosevale     Ross     Salt Pan Plains     Skelton     Sorell Springs     South Esk     St Leonards     St Luke's Church     Talisker     Tamar River     Trevallyn     Tunbridge     Westbury     White Hills     Whitemore     Winnaleah

Antill Ponds

Antill Ponds was a small township about half way between Launceston and Hobart on the main highway.   Today there is nothing left but ruins and a railway line.  Antill Ponds was a well-known resting place for travellers in the days of coaches.

Antill Ponds was named after Captain Antill at the end of 1811; it was the “….name given to the ponds of fresh water at the entrance to the Salt Pan Plains” (von Stieglitz, 1960, p8).  

Woodbury was the residence of Robert HARRISSON Esq, JP on his grant at Antill Ponds.  Rockwood, where the Half Way House was built was also part of Robert HARRISSON’s estate.

Weeding (1980, p26) writes about Antill Ponds:

The village of Antill Ponds owes its origin to the first inn there, which was built by the same John Presnell who had kept the inn at Sorell Springs.  

The Half Way House was a public house and coaching station at Antill Ponds. The mail was exchanged there.  When PRESNELL owned it, it was known as the White Hart Inn.

Ancestors associated with Antill Ponds include:

bullet

Christiana PRESNELL b.c1808 - abode (Half Way House)

bullet

John PRESNELL b.c1786 - abode, property (Half Way House), death

bullet

Thomas PRESNELL b.c1806 - abode (Half Way House)

 
bullet

Eleanor SKELTON b.c1791 - abode, property (Half Way House), work

TOP

Half Way House, Antill Ponds

The Half Way House, formerly known as the White Hart Inn, was located on the Rockwood estate on the highway about half way between Launceston and Hobart at Antill Ponds, Tasmania.  It was used as a coaching station and the mail was exchanged there.

                   
Click on an image to view it at full size.

Ancestors associated with the Half Way House include:

bullet

Christiana PRESNELL b.c1808 - abode

bullet

John PRESNELL b.c1786 - property

bullet

Thomas PRESNELL b.c1806 - abode

bullet

Eleanor SKELTON b.c1791 - abode, property, work

Weeding (1980, p26) writes about John's new inn at Antill Ponds, the Half Way House:

The village of Antill Ponds owes its origin to the first inn there, which was built by the same John Presnell who had kept the inn at Sorell Springs.  When the new highway by-passed the old inn, John Presnell erected in 1830 a modern inn at Antill Ponds which also bore the name “White Hart”.  In 1843, the name “Half-Way House” replaced the original name.  It was gutted by fire in 1852 but soon rebuilt.  For many years “Half-Way House” was the best known of public houses in Van Diemen’s Land.  It was selected as a changing place for Page’s coaches, where passengers and mails were transferred from the northern to the southern coach.  When the railway became a reality in 1876, the inn became a major stopping place where passengers on the day train had lunch, a welcome break after the weary nine hour journey.  On the night trains, the journey was broken here for four hours while passengers rested.  “Half-Way House” did not escape visitations from bushrangers at various times.  Such well known lawbreakers as Dalton, Kelly, Cash, Kavanagh and Jones made their present felt by their patronage.

von Stieglitz (1960, pp83-84) writes similarly, though he refers to John as William PRESNELL:

In 1830 when William Presnell found that his old inn at Sorell Springs (recorded as early as 1820 in J.T. Bigge’s report) was being by-passed by the new road through St. Peter’s Pass, he built the White Hart Inn at Antill Ponds.  Later it became known as the Half Way House at which the coaches and most private conveyances halted for refreshment.  For many a long day it was the best known country public house in Tasmania where a man and his horse could get most satisfactory meals and a comfortable bed at any time day or night.  But when the railway and then motor traffic drove horses from the road and travellers sped past to larger centres, the last days of Half Way House were numbered.  Finally it lost its licence and was closed, the furniture sold and the cedar wood fittings taken away.  At the present time, with glass broken in the window frames, doors swinging in the wind and the paint all gone from the woodwork, it is a place to avoid and is another crumbling link with the early days of Van Diemen’s Land.

David SOLOMON was managing the Half Way House in 1833 and trying to work out a plan to run a freight service of bullock wagons along the main road.

TOP

Bicton River

Bicton River is situated in the midlands of Tasmania.  It is assumed that the Bicton property is located along the river.

Ancestors associated with Bicton River include:

bullet

Joseph DAVIES b.c1828 - abode

 
bullet

Mary Ann FISHER b.1853 - abode

TOP

Bishopsbourne

Bishopsbourne is a township situated approximately 10 kilometres south of Carrick, 14 kilometres south east of Hagley, 5 kilometres south east of Whitemore, 8 kilometres south east of Glenore, 3 kilometres south east of Oaks and 10 kilometres north west of Cressy in the Norfolk Plains district.

Ancestors associated with Bishopsbourne include:

bullet

Henry Thomas HINGSTON b.c1820 - property

 
bullet

James HINGSTON b.c1789 - abode, property (Maitland Farm), death, burial

TOP

Black Brush

Black Brush is a small small township between Mangalore and the Elderslie Road, 7 kilometres off the main highway from Hobart to Launceston.  It is approximately 25 kilometres north of Hobart and 8 kilometres east of Broadmarsh.

Ancestors associated with Black Brush include:

bullet

John BLACKLOW b.c1774 - abode, property (Blendon)

bullet

Ruth THOMPSON b.1794 - death

TOP

Blendon, Black Brush

Blendon is a property between the districts of Black Brush and Broadmarsh.  The following information on Blendon is extracted from Blacklow (n.d., p17).

The property known as Blendon was originally part of the grant of land at Black Brush to John Blacklow 1st, when the Royal Marines in Tasmania were disbanded and returned to England.  However, John Blacklow died before he was able to formerly take up his grant.

His wife, Ruth, was John Blacklow’s heir and was given his land grant of 60 acres as John’s wife in recognition of his service as a Royal Marine and that she was the mother of his children, Mary and John 2nd.

Six months after John 1st died, his wife Ruth Blacklow remarried to John Staples who was John Blacklow’s friend and neighbour, on the 17th of May 1813.  Her marriage again was solemnized by Robert Knopwood.  Such an early remarriage was most likely justified because Ruth had herself and two children to support and there were no other means of support to widows in those days.

On the 20th of September 1812, Governor Lachlan Macquarie signed the land grants to John Staples, 80 acres, and separately to his wife Rebecca Staples, 60 acres, and another grant of 60 acres to a Mr Pryce Pritchard and all this land was in the future to become part of the Blacklow property Blendon.

John Blacklow’s children, Mary and John 2nd were brought up by John and Rebecca Staples, but still retained the name of Blacklow.

John Blacklow 2nd was the stepson of a farmer and for a while he worked the land with his stepfather, John Staples, although he had ambitions to own his own farm and at the young age of 18 years he attempted to fulfil his ambitions.

Whilst he was living at Broadmarsh he made an application for a land grant on 24 November 1829.  He stated on his application that he had £210 in cash, 40 head of horned cattle consisting of milch cows and working bullocks, and 100 head of sheep of an improved breed of merino.  This stock originated from a wether and six sheep that were left to him by his father John 1st when he died and had been held under ‘special care’ by his stepfather, John Staples, since 1812.  The application for the grant of land was refused. 

A note on his file stated that “John Blacklow became a successful farmer and reared a large family, some of whom are still living.  Frederick Blacklow of Milford, Bagdad is one of the sons and a prosperous farmer and orchardist.  Another son James is settled at Port Cygnet.  Mr John Blacklow purchased Blendon near Pontville and passed his later years there.”

John 2nd married Eliza Jane Davis on 12 January 1834 and he, his wife and large family lived and farmed on the property Blendon, Black Brush, Van Dieman’s Land.  His stepfather, John Staples, conveyed 80 acres to John Blacklow 2nd in 1839.  John’s mother died intestate and after his stepfather John Staples died, John Blacklow 2nd found himself in the position of having no legal claim to the property, so he applied to the Supreme Court of Tasmania on 7 March 1866 for a total grant of the 229 acres of land that was Blendon

He managed to derive his title to the land as follows.  The land was granted by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in three different lots on 20 September 1812 to Pryce Pritchard, John Staples and Rebecca Staples.  Pritchard conveyed 80 acres on 4 April 1835 to Charles Newman, who conveyed it to John Blacklow on 6 January 1848.  John Staples, with Edward Lord, a ‘Judgement Creditor’, conveyed another 80 acres to John Blacklow on 1 May 1839.  John Blacklow then claimed 69 acres (granted to Rebecca Staples as 60 acres in 1813) as the heir of Rebecca Staples and by virtue of 33 years of possession.

John Blacklow 2nd, since his mother and stepfather had died intestate was forced to go to the Supreme Court of Tasmania and apply for the grant of land that was rightfully his, both from his father’s initial grant to this deceased mother and the land that John Staples was granted and had acquired.

The Jordan River that originally represented the border of his land had changed its course cutting off about a quarter of the property in his neighbour, Joshua Fergusson’s favour.

John 2nd approached the Supreme Court in Tasmania for a  decision and John’s son, Edwin assisted him by serving notice of his father’s intentions to apply for the grant of the land by service notice as to the boundaries to their neighbours, Isabella Fergusson and Joseph Fergusson.  The land in question was rented out to Joseph Bedford and William Luttrell and this land was included in John’s claim.  Edwin also notified them of his father’s intentions.

The land was granted to John Blacklow after about 6 months by the Supreme Court of Tasmania.  It may be of interest to point out that the Solicitors that represented John Blacklow was a firm called Pitt and Elliston (previously Pitt and Watchorn).  William Whitford Elliston married John 2nd’s daughter Henrietta and Victor R L Elliston married his daughter Maria Lavinia and William Elliston advised authorities of John 2nd’s death in 1881, indicating close family ties between the Elliston and Blacklow families in that period of time.

John Blacklow 2nd worked the land to live but was also interested in racehorses and he ans his son-in-law, Dundas Victor Fergusson, a son of a neighbour, in their common interest gave a portion of their adjacent properties to from the Brighton Race Club on 19 November 1881.  It was fully operational by 1883.  Both John Blacklow 2nd and Dundas Victor Fergusson owned and raced horses and also bred many fine racehorses at Blendon.

The Brighton Racecourse is now approximately 1 mile from the remaining part of Blendon, but was closed down in 1973, as were many of Tasmania’s country race courses, by Mr Nielson, the Racing Commissioner.  This was believed at the time to be a mistake as the Brighton Races were a very popular track which was used for both mixed trotting and galloping.  Mr Russel Bowden was the Vice President of the Brighton Race Course during that period.

Black Brush became the town of Brighton and was named by Governor Macquarie to honour the Sovereign, Queen Victoria, in 1821 as Brighton, England was her favourite residence in England.  Brighton is also called Brighton Junction.

John Blacklow 2nd died at 70 years of age in 1881.  Through his children he is the forefather of all the original Blacklow families of Tasmania, mainland Australia and South Africa.  Both John 2nd and his sister Mary were brought up by their mother, Ruth (Rebecca) and their stepfather, John Staples.

Eliza, his wife, gave birth to 15 children – a total of 8 boys and 7 girls.

Blendon is now a 353 acre property that lies on the right hand side of the road, tucked under a hill, across the fields, approximately 30 km from Hobart.  The Jordan River flows lengthwise from west to east through the property and 5 km east of Blendon the river passes through the township of Pontville.  The Midlands Highway, formerly the Hobart to Launceston coach route, passes through Pontville from the south to the north and the property is reached from the Broadmarsh Road which runs parallel to the Jordan River, but about 4 km to the south.

The house is located 2 km from the Broadmarsh Road on a road known as Fergusson Road, which relates to the Tasmanian Blacklow-Fergusson family connection.  The house comprised originally of a 2 storey, 4 room cottage, with a very steep roof and two attic rooms and a full cellar beneath the house and is constructed of thick hand cut sandstone blocks. The original timber work is held together with hand made nails.

Originally there were two fireplaces on the eastern side of the house which had been dismantled in the past, but still exist in the cellar. When they were removed the opening of one of the fireplaces was used as a door to another weatherboard addition on the eastern side of the house.  The chimney section that was removed is dated 1942 indicating the year that the additions were carried out.  In the cellar, the first half has a flagstone floor and is divided into two areas.  One of these areas is fitted with a door and contains an old copper that was used for boiling clothes.  The attic was also removed and replaced with a 5 room weatherboard construction with a low pitched hip roof. 

There is a beautiful stone wall in front of the house, about 20 metres long and 2 metres high and 2 metre thick, topped with slabs of cut sandstone that was built by convicts and today surrounds a lovely garden.  Looking from this view is an old stone stable with a large loft above that was also built by convict labour.  The roof of the stable is constructed as a pitched gable with large windows around the sides and back and a door along the side with a large entrance at the front.

At the rear of the stable is what appears to be an old coach house, also built from hand cut sandstone blocks and the roof is also of a pitched gable finished with weatherboard below the front and rear eaves.  Next to the house is a large ‘drinking trough carved from solid stone for cattle and horses, which was made by convict labour.

Sine the Blacklow family, Blendon has had several owners.

Ancestors associated with Blendon include:

bullet

John BLACKLOW b.c1774 - abode, property

bullet

Mary BLACKLOW b.c1809 - abode

bullet

Ruth THOMPSON b.1794 - abode, property

TOP

Blackman River

Blackman River flows from Table Mountain in the central highlands of Tasmania to Tunbridge, which is located about half way between Launceston and Hobart just off the main highway, approximately 7 kilometres north of Antill Ponds.

Ancestors associated with Blackman River include:

bullet

Emily HILL b.1839 - abode

 
bullet

William Thomas PRESNELL b.1829 - abode

TOP

Breadalbane (The Springs)

Breadalbane is a township approximately 13 kilometres south of Launceston.  It was formerly known as The Springs and used to be part of the area referred to as Patterson Plains.  In days gone by is was situated on the Launceston to Hobart highway.  

According to von Stieglitz (1948, p19):

Breadalbane ... had a very evil reputation in the old days ...  Bushrangers found solace at the two inns and learned from their friends of the doings of the police and the military.

The Albion Inn was here ...  At the time it still had the name of the Temperance Hotel, but the old grog shops changed their names frequently, especially when they had been getting too much attention from the guardians of the law.

Scott, the assistant Surveyor-General, leased his property here in blocks of 50 to 150 acres to "ticket of leave" prisoners.  "The worst thieves in the country who pretended to make their living by cultivating it."

Ancestors associated with Breadalbane include:

bullet

John CHUGG b.1845 - abode

bullet

Mary Elizabeth Ellen CHUGG b.1876 - birth

TOP

Broadmarsh

Broadmarsh is a township and farming district approximately 30 kilometres NNW of Hobart, 8 kilometres west of Mangalore and 15 kilometres NNE of New Norfolk.

Ancestors associated with Broadmarsh include:

bullet

Mary BLACKLOW b.c1809 - abode

 
bullet

Ruth THOMPSON b.1794 - abode

TOP

Campbell Town

Campbell Town is a town on the main highway between Launceston and Hobart in Tasmania.  It is approximately 70 kilometres south of Launceston and 133 kilometres north of Hobart.  It was named in 1821 after Lachlan MACQUARIE's wife whose maiden name was CAMPBELL.

Campbell Town features strongly in the lives of my ancestors, in the COWLEY and DAVIS branches.

Ancestors associated with Campbell Town include:

bullet

Aileen Joy COWLEY b.1938 - marriage

bullet

Alan Geoffrey COWLEY b.1935 - marriage

bullet

David Geoffrey COWLEY b.1955 - birth, baptism

bullet

Michael Colin COWLEY b.1957 - birth, baptism

bullet

Vicki Jean COWLEY b.1959 - birth, baptism

bullet

William Caldecut COWLEY b.c1814 - marriage, abode

bullet

Ann DALY b.c1826 - marriage, abode

bullet

Joseph DAVIES b.c1828 - abode, death

bullet

Christopher William DAVIS b.1879 - birth, marriage, abode, death, burial

bullet

Victor John DAVIS b.1907 - birth, marriage, abode, work

bullet

Janet Mae DAVIS b.1937 - birth, baptism, abode, marriage

bullet

Mary Ann FISHER b.1853 - abode

bullet

William FISHER b.c1814 - abode, death, burial

bullet

Henrietta HARRIS b.1875 - abode

bullet

Emily HILL b.1839 - marriage

bullet

Elizabeth Esther JENKINS b.1885 - birth, baptism, marriage, abode, burial

bullet

James Frederick JENKINS b.c1856 - abode, death, burial

 
bullet

Julia MULLINS b.c1805 - burial

bullet

Caroline PRESNELL b.1861 - abode, death, burial

bullet

Christiana PRESNELL b.c1808 - death

bullet

Thomas PRESNELL b.c1806 - death

 
bullet

William Thomas PRESNELL b.1829 - marriage

 
bullet

James Harold QUAYLE b.c1874 - abode, work

 
bullet

Vance Doreen QUAYLE b.1910 - marriage, abode, work

TOP

St Luke's Church, Campbell Town

              
Click on an image to view at full size.

St Luke's Church is the Anglican church in Campbell Town.

“The first Rector, the Rev W. Bedford, son of the second Rector of St. David’s Church at Hobart, arrived in June, 1833, and took his first services in the old Police Office, later the Council Chambers, the oldest building in the town.”

St Luke’s “Church begun as early as 1835, was opened on January 20th, 1839, by the Venerable William Hutchins, first Archdeacon of Van Diemen’s Land.”

”Defects in construction led to the rebuilding of the church from the height of the windows upwards.”

The Reverend in the 1950s was Laurence Edward DANDO.

Ancestors associated with St Luke's Church include:

bullet

Alan Geoffrey COWLEY b.1935 - marriage

bullet

William Caldecut COWLEY b.c1814 - marriage

bullet

Ann DALY b.c1826 - marriage

bullet

Christopher William DAVIS b.1879 - marriage, burial

bullet

Victor John DAVIS b.1907 - marriage, religion

bullet

Janet Mae DAVIS b.1937 - baptism, marriage, religion

bullet

Elizabeth Esther JENKINS b.1885 - marriage, burial

bullet

James Frederick JENKINS b.c1856 - burial

 
bullet

Caroline PRESNELL b.1861 - burial

 
bullet

Vance Doreen QUAYLE b.1910 - marriage, religion

TOP

Carrick

Carrick is a town situated on the Liffey River, approximately 18 kilometres WSW of Launceston, Tasmania.  The old highway used to pass through the town, but it is now bypassed.

 Ancestors associated with Carrick include:

bullet

Elizabeth Esther JENKINS b.1885 - abode

TOP

Caveside

Caveside is a small township under the Western Tiers in Tasmania.  It is approximately 2 kilometres south of Mole Creek, 2 kilometres south west of Chudleigh and 8 kilometres south west of Deloraine.

Ancestors associated with Caveside include:

bullet

Ann RICHARDSON b.c1818 - abode

TOP

Chudleigh

Chudleigh is a township in a rich farming district approximately 6 kilometres south west of Deloraine and 2 kilometres north east of Caveside.

Ancestors associated with Chudleigh include:

bullet

John William COWLEY b.1905 - abode, property

 
bullet

Hazel Joy HINGSTON b.1907 - abode

TOP

Cleveland

Cleveland is a town situated on the Midlands highway between Launceston and Hobart in Tasmania.  It is approximately 16 kilometres north of Campbell Town and 7 kilometres south of Epping Forest.

Ancestors associated with Cleveland include:

bullet

Emily HILL b.1839 - birth

TOP

Cressy

Cressy is a town situated in a rich farming district approximately 30 kilometres south west of Launceston in Tasmania.

Ancestors associated with Cressy include:

bullet

Ann Sarah Maria BANNISTER b.c1817 - abode, death

bullet

Alan Geoffrey COWLEY b.1935 - abode (McRaes Hills)

 
bullet

Janet Mae DAVIS b.1937 - abode (McRaes Hills)

bullet

William FISHER b.c1814 - abode

 
bullet

Henry Thomas HINGSTON b.c1820 - abode, death

bullet

William WALTON b.c1783 - abode, death (McRaes Hills)

TOP

Cygnet

Cygnet is a town approximately 50 kilometres SSW of Hobart, Tasmania. It is approximately 15 kilometres west of Kettering.

Ancestors associated with Cygnet include:

bullet

James Harold QUAYLE b.c1874 - work

 
bullet

Vance Doreen QUAYLE b.1910 - abode

TOP

Deloraine

Deloraine is a town situated on the Meander River approximately 50 kilometres west of Launceston.  Townships surrounding Deloraine include Exton, Caveside, Chudleigh, Lemana Junction and Elizabeth Town.

Ancestors associated with Deloraine include:

bullet

Susannah BEAMS b.1822 - death

bullet

Joseph DAVIES b.c1828 - marriage

 
bullet

Mary Ann FISHER b.1853 - marriage

TOP

Elizabeth Town

Elizabeth Town is a small township on the main highway between Launceston and Devonport approximately 7 kilometres north west of Deloraine

Ancestors associated with Elizabeth Town include:

bullet

Trudy Mae COWLEY b.1964 - abode

 
bullet

Victor John DAVIS b.1907 - abode, work

 
bullet

Vance Doreen QUAYLE b.1910 - abode, work

TOP

Ellendale

Ellendale is a small township approximately 35 kilometres north west of New Norfolk and 10 kilometres south west of Hamilton.

Ancestors associated with Ellendale include:

bullet

Ann DALY b.c1821 - abode, death

TOP

Epping Forest

Epping Forest is a village situated on the Midlands Highway approximately 23 kilometres north of Campbell Town and 7 kilometres north of Cleveland.

Ancestors associated with Epping Forest include:

bullet

Emily HILL b.1839 - abode

bullet

Peter HILL b.c1804 - abode

bullet

Julia MULLINS b.c1805 - abode

TOP

Evandale (Morven)

Evandale is a township approximately 20 kilometres south east of Launceston.  The township of Evandale was called Morven up until 1836.  It is 8 kilometres south of White Hills.

Talisker is an estate near Evandale with which ancestors are associated.

Ancestors associated with Evandale include:

bullet

Mary BIRD b.c1818 - burial

bullet

John CHUGG b.1845 - baptism, birth

bullet

Richard CHUGG b.c1798 - property (Talisker), burial

bullet

John William COWLEY b.1905 - abode (Everton), work (Glen Ard)

bullet

Lindsay John COWLEY b.1931 - birth

bullet

Raymond Arthur Chugg COWLEY b.1903 - birth

bullet

Rex William COWLEY b.1930 - birth

bullet

Vivian Roy COWLEY b.1933 - birth

 
bullet

William DOBSON b.c1817 - property (Everton)

bullet

William FISHER b.c1813 - abode

bullet

Hazel Joy HINGSTON b.1907 - abode (Everton)

 
bullet

Maria Lee JESSOP b.1818 - abode (Talisker)

bullet

John Arnold MAWER b.c1804 - abode (Talisker)

 
bullet

William John TRETHEWIE b.1849 - marriage

TOP

Talisker, Evandale

Talisker is an estate within the parish of Morven.  It is a property on the Relbia Road near Breadalbane and Evandale.  

It was originally granted to Major Donald MACLEOD who received 2000 acres at the White Hills in 1821.  In 1854 his son Norman sold Talisker to the MACLEANS. 

The estate adjoins the properties of Curraghmore and Millwood Plains.  It was owned by Mr Norman GEE in 1948.  It also adjoined Jocelyn THOMAS’ property of Everton on Rose’s Rivulet near Evandale.

It is situated near where the Launceston Aerodrome now stands.  

It is likely that parts of the estate were leased or sub-let to farmers such as Richard CHUGG.

Ancestors associated with Talisker include:

bullet

Richard CHUGG b.c1798 - property

 
bullet

Maria Lee JESSOP b.1818 - abode

bullet

John Arnold MAWER b.c1804 - abode

TOP

Exton

Exton is a township on the old highway between Deloraine and Launceston.  It is approximately 7 kilometres east of Deloraine and 9 kilometres west of Westbury.

Ancestors associated with Exton include:

bullet

Robert BEAMS b.c1781 - abode

bullet

Mary Ann Elizabeth STEVENSON b.1859 - abode (Rose Cottage), death

TOP

Fingal

Fingal is a town in eastern Tasmania, Australia approximately 10 kilometres inland from the east coast.  

Ancestors associated with Fingal include:

bullet

William Cain CREW b.c1821 - probation

TOP

Franklin Village (Longmeadows)

Franklin Village is a small township approximately 8 kilometres south of Launceston.  These days it is almost an outer suburb.  In days gone by it was on the main highway between Launceston and Hobart and was originally known as Longmeadows.  It was also referred to as part of the Patterson Plains district.

The Sir William Wallace Inn was built at Franklin Village in 1843.  It later became the Tallentyre estate, the home of Fred GRUBB and his wife. 


Click on image to view at full size.

Another inn in the village, built in 1844, was called the Rose and Crown and run by Joseph MOORE.

There were two other inns at Franklin Village, one of them on the 800-acre property of Richard Chugg in a paddock back from the road and another nearby.  These have both completely disappeared as have most of the earliest dwellings.  (von Stieglitz, 1948, pp37-39)

According to von Stieglitz (1948) The land for St Oswald's Church and the attached cemetery at Franklin Village was donated by Richard CHUGG and Britton JONES and was opened in time for the Christmas services in 1848.

However, the Anglican church at Franklin Village today is called St James and was opened on 15 April 1845.

The Reverend Alfred STACKHOUSE performed the services in this parish (which included Perth and Breadalbane) for 18 years.

Ancestors associated with Franklin Village include:

bullet

Richard CHUGG b.c1798 - property (Sir William Wallace Inn)

TOP

Geeveston

Geeveston is a town in the Huon Valley of Tasmania, approximately 55 kilometres south west of Hobart.

Ancestors associated with Geeveston include:

bullet

James Harold QUAYLE b.c1874 - work

TOP

George Town (Port Dalrymple)

George Town, formerly known as Port Dalrymple, is situated on eastern side of the mouth of the Tamar River in the north of Tasmania.

Ancestors associated with George Town include:

bullet

Robert BEAMS b.c1781 - transportation, assignment, abode

 
bullet

Susannah BRELSFORD b.c1790 - assignment, abode

 
bullet

Victor John DAVIS b.1907 - abode, death

 
bullet

James JESSOP b.c1772 - abode

bullet

Maria Lee JESSOP b.1818 - birth, abode

bullet

Elizabeth Riley LEE b.1802 - abode

 
bullet

Vance Doreen QUAYLE b.1910 - abode

TOP

Glenorchy

Glenorchy is a city which adjoins Hobart on its northern edge and extends northwards along the western shore of the River Derwent. The parish includes Granton.

 Ancestors associated with Glenorchy include:

bullet

Thomas PRESNELL b.c1806 - abode

TOP

Glenore

Glenore is the name originally given to the township of Whitemore

Glenore these days, however, is marked on maps as an intersection situated approximately 12 kilometres south west of Carrick, 6 kilometres south of Hagley, 8 kilometres north west of Bishopsbourne and 3 kilometres west of Whitemore in the Norfolk Plains district. 

Ancestors associated with Glenore/Whitemore include:

bullet

Margaret DOBSON b.1843 - marriage, school, abode

bullet

William DOBSON b.c1817 - abode, property, death

bullet

Andrew Henry HINGSTON b.1847 - marriage, abode

bullet

Henry Thomas HINGSTON b.c1820 - property (Rosaville)

bullet

Ann RICHARDSON b.c1818 - abode, death

TOP

Granton (Black Snake)

Granton is nowadays an outer northern suburb of Hobart, the capital of Tasmania.  It was formerly known as Black Snake.   It is situated on the Derwent River near where the Bridgewater Bridge crosses the Derwent to Bridgewater, on the main highway leading to Launceston, within the city of Glenorchy.

A school was proposed at Black Snake on 10 December 1821 for 37 children between 4 and 15 years of age.  The school master was John HEAD  Black Snake Rivulet forms the western boundary of Glenorchy (the New Town Rivulet forms the eastern boundary of Glenorchy).

Black Snake was visited by Lachlan MACQUARIE on 27 November 1811.  In his journal (held in the Mitchell Library) he noted that from Hobart Town we "set out on purpose to visit and inspect farms in the district of New Norfolk.  We rode to a farm called Black Snake Point on the south side of the river about 12 miles from Hobart Town where we halted to breakfast.”

Aboriginal names for Black Snake were Lorena, Lounabe and Loyganeh.

The Black Snake Inn was a public house situated at Granton.

Ancestors associated with Granton include:

bullet

Christiana PRESNELL b.c1808 - abode

bullet

Thomas PRESNELL b.c1806 - abode, property

bullet

Thomas PRESNELL b.c1772 - property

 TOP

Black Snake Inn, Granton

The Black Snake Inn was a public house at Granton owned and run by Thomas PRESNELL snr circa 1822 and Thomas PRESNELL jnr circa 1827.  A ferry across the Derwent River was run from the inn.


Click on the image to view it at full size.
(NB You will leave this site.)

Ancestors associated with the Black Snake Inn include:

bullet

Thomas PRESNELL b.c1806 - abode, property

bullet

Thomas PRESNELL b.c1772 - property

 TOP

Gravelly Beach

Gravelly Beach is a township on the western bank of the Tamar River approximately 25 kilometres north west of Launceston.

Ancestors associated with Gravelly Beach include:

bullet

Janet Mae DAVIS b.1937 - abode, property, death

 
bullet

Vance Doreen QUAYLE b.1910 - abode, death

TOP

Hagley

Hagley is a township on the old highway from Launceston to Deloraine approximately 6 kilometres east of Westbury.  It is approximately 8 kilometres NNW of Whitemore and 14 kilometres north west of Bishopsbourne.

Ancestors associated with Hagley include:

bullet

Ann Sarah Maria BANNISTER b.c1817 - burial

bullet

Margaret DOBSON b.1843 - death, burial

bullet

William DOBSON b.c1817 - burial

bullet

Andrew Henry HINGSTON b.1847 - property (Cheriton), death, burial

 
bullet

Henry Thomas HINGSTON b.c1820 - burial

bullet

Ann RICHARDSON b.c1818 - burial

 
bullet

Mary Ann Elizabeth STEVENSON b.1859 - abode (Montrose, Hill Grove), burial

 
bullet

William John TRETHEWIE b.1849 - abode, property (Hill Grove, Montrose), death, burial

TOP

Hamilton

Hamilton is a township in Tasmania approximately 70 kilometres north west of Hobart and approximately 35 kilometres north west of New Norfolk.

Ancestors associated with Hamilton include:

bullet

Ann DALY b.c1821 - burial

TOP

Hobart

Hobart is the capital city of Tasmania, Australia.  It was founded in 1804.  It is situated on the River Derwent in south eastern Tasmania.  It's first suburb was New Town to the north west.

Information on Hobart is available here.

Ancestors associated with Hobart include:

bullet

John BLACKLOW b.c1774 - immigration, abode, marriage, baptism, death, burial

bullet

Mary BLACKLOW b.c1809 - birth, baptism, marriage, abode, death, burial

bullet

Elizabeth BOUCHER b.c1804 - transportation

bullet

Richard CHUGG b.c1798 - transportation

bullet

David Geoffrey COWLEY b.1955 - marriage

bullet

Lindsay John COWLEY b.1931 - marriage, death, cremation

bullet

Michael Colin COWLEY b.1957 - marriage

bullet

Rex William COWLEY b.1930 - marriage

 
bullet

Trudy Mae COWLEY b.1964 - abode, work

bullet

Ann DALY b.c1826 - transportation

 
bullet

Janet Mae DAVIS b.1937 - abode

bullet

James ELY b.c1800 - transportation, death, burial

bullet

William FISHER b.c1813 - transportation, abode

bullet

Henrietta HARRIS b.1875 - birth, marriage, abode, death, burial

bullet

William Henry HARRIS b.1834 - immigration, marriage, abode, death, burial

bullet

Peter HILL b.c1804 - transportation

bullet

James JESSOP b.c1772 - transportation, abode

bullet

John Arnold MAWER b.c1804 - transportation, abode, trial

bullet

Julia MULLINS b.c1805 - transportation

bullet

Christiana PRESNELL b.c1808 - immigration

 
bullet

John PRESNELL b.c1786 - immigration

bullet

James Harold QUAYLE b.c1874 - marriage, abode

bullet

Eliza SHERBURD b.1841 - birth, baptism, marriage, abode

bullet

John SHERBURD b.1798 - immigration, marriage, abode, property

bullet

William SHERBURD b.c1760 - immigration, abode, property, death, burial

bullet

Eleanor SKELTON b.c1791 - immigration

bullet

Ruth THOMPSON b.1794 - marriage, abode, burial

bullet

Esther THORNTON b.c1770 - immigration, death, burial

 
bullet

Dorcas Harriet TIBBALLS b.c1851 - abode, death, burial

bullet

John TIBBALLS b.1824 - abode (Exhall Cottage), death, burial

bullet

Sarah TOOTH b.c1741 - immigration, abode, death, burial

 
bullet

William WALTON b.c1783 - transportation

bullet

Harriet WEST b.c1824 - abode (Exhall Cottage), death, burial

TOP

Isis

Isis is a small township located on the Isis River approximately 23 kilometres north west of Campbell Town and 23 kilometres south east of Cressy.

Ancestors associated with Isis include:

bullet

Joseph DAVIES b.1828 - abode

bullet

Mary Ann FISHER b.1853 - abode

TOP

Kettering

Kettering is a town on the D'Entrecasteaux Channel approximately 35 kilometres south of Hobart and 15 kilometres east of Cygnet.

Ancestors associated with Kettering include:

bullet

Henrietta HARRIS b.1875 - abode

 
bullet

James Harold QUAYLE b.c1874 - abode, work

TOP

Kingston (Brown's River)

Kingston, once known as Brown's River, is a town about 10 kilometres south of Hobart.  These days it is an outer suburb of Hobart.  Blackman's Bay is the area south of Kingston.

Ancestors associated with Kingston include:

bullet

Henrietta HARRIS b.1875 - abode

 
bullet

William Henry HARRIS b.1834 - property (Blackman's Bay)

bullet

James Harold QUAYLE b.c1874 - abode

bullet

John SHERBURD b.1798 - abode, property (Blackman's Bay), death

 
bullet

William SHERBURD b.c1760 - property (Blackman's Bay)

TOP

Launceston

Launceston is the second largest city in Tasmania situated at the head of the Tamar River approximately 55 kilometres inland from the north coast. Launceston is surrounded by the townships of Breadalbane, Evandale, Franklin Village, Longford, Pateena, St Leonards, Gravelly Beach, White Hills, Rosevale, Perth and Cressy.

Launceston features strongly in the lives of my ancestors.

Ancestors associated with Launceston include:

bullet

Ann Sarah Maria BANNISTER b.c1817 - immigration

bullet

Robert BEAMS b.c1781 - marriage

bullet

Susannah BEAMS b.1822 - baptism, marriage

bullet

Mary BIRD b.c1818 - marriage, death

bullet

Elizabeth BOUCHER b.c1804 - marriage, abode

bullet

Susannah BRELSFORD b.c1790 - marriage, abode, death

bullet

John CHUGG b.1845 - marriage, death, burial

bullet

Mary Elizabeth Ellen CHUGG b.1876 - marriage, burial

bullet

Richard CHUGG b.c1798 - marriages, abode, property (Edinburgh Castle Hotel), death

bullet

Aileen Joy COWLEY b.1938 - birth

bullet

Alan Geoffrey COWLEY b.1935 - birth, abode

bullet

Allan George COWLEY b.1908 - birth

bullet

Arthur Archibald COWLEY b.1868 - marriage, death, burial

bullet

John William COWLEY b.1905 - birth, marriage, abode, property, death, cremation

bullet

Maxwell Francis COWLEY b.1911 - birth, burial

bullet

Trudy Mae COWLEY b.1964 - birth, abode

bullet

Charlotte Louisa CREW b.1857 - birth, marriage, burial

bullet

William Cain CREW b.c1821 - marriage, abode

bullet

Janet Mae DAVIS b.1937 - abode, property (Speedies Milk Bar), will, cremation

bullet

Victor John DAVIS b.1907 - cremation

bullet

Margaret DOBSON b.1843 - birth

bullet

William DOBSON b.c1817 - immigration

bullet

James ELY b.c1800 - marriage, abode, trials

bullet

Mary Ann FISHER b.1853 - abode, death, burial

bullet

William FISHER b.c1813 - abode, death, inquest, burial

bullet

Mary HAWKEY b.c1797 - immigration, abode

bullet

Elizabeth HELEY b.c1830 - marriage, abode, death, burial

 
bullet

Emily HILL b.1839 - baptism

bullet

Peter HILL b.c1804 - abode

bullet

Hazel Joy HINGSTON b.1907 - birth, marriage, abode, death, cremation

bullet

Hubert William Henry HINGSTON b.1878 - marriage, death, cremation

bullet

James HINGSTON b.c1789 - immigration

bullet

Elizabeth Esther JENKINS b.1885 - death

bullet

James JESSOP b.c1772 - marriage, abode, trial, death, burial

 
bullet

Maria Lee JESSOP b.1818 - baptism, marriage, abode

bullet

Elizabeth Riley LEE b.1802 - marriage

bullet

John Arnold MAWER b.c1804 - marriage, abode, property

bullet

Maria Sophia MAWER b.1835 - birth, baptism, property

bullet

Julia MULLINS b.c1805 - abode

 
bullet

James Harold QUAYLE b.c1874 - death, burial

bullet

Vance Doreen QUAYLE b.1910 - will, burial

bullet

Ann RICHARDSON b.c1818 - immigration

bullet

Catharine RILEY b.c1784 - abode

 
bullet

Frances ROWE b.c1823 - immigration

 
bullet

Dorcas Harriet TIBBALLS b.c1851 - immigration

bullet

John TIBBALLS b.1824 - immigration

bullet

John TRETHEWIE b.c1799 - assignment, immigration, marriage, abode

bullet

John TRETHEWIE b.c1818 - immigration

 
bullet

Marian Blanche TRETHEWIE b.1881 - marriage, death, cremation

bullet

William John TRETHEWIE b.1849 - birth

 
bullet

Harriet WEST b.c1824 - immigration

TOP

Lemana Junction

Lemana Junction is a small township approximately 4 kilometres west of Deloraine in Tasmania. 

Ancestors associated with Lemana Junction include:

bullet

Trudy Mae COWLEY b.1964 - abode (Bengeo)

bullet

Victor John DAVIS b.1907 - abode (Bengeo), work

 
bullet

Vance Doreen QUAYLE b.1910 - abode (Bengeo), work

TOP

Longford (Latour)

Longford is a town approximately 20 kilometres south west of Launceston in Tasmania.  It is approximately 5 kilometres south of the small township of Pateena.  It was originally known as Latour. 

Ancestors associated with Longford include:

bullet

Ann Sarah Maria BANNISTER b.c1817 - marriage

bullet

Susannah BEAMS b.1822 - abode (Westons Rivulet)

bullet

Richard CHUGG b.c1798 - property

bullet

Mary Ann FISHER b.1853 - birth

 
bullet

William FISHER b.c1813 - abode (Westons Rivulet)

bullet

Peter HILL b.c1804 - abode

bullet

Andrew Henry HINGSTON b.1847 - birth

bullet

Henry Thomas HINGSTON b.c1820 - marriage

bullet

Julia MULLINS b.c1805 - abode

 
bullet

William WALTON b.c1783 - assignment, inquest

TOP

Macquarie Harbour

Macquarie Harbour is located on the west coast of Tasmania.  In the early 1800s it was the site of the Sarah Island penal settlement.

Ancestors associated with Macquarie Harbour include:

bullet

John Arnold MAWER b.c1806 - abode

TOP

Margate

Margate is a town approximately 17 kilometres south of Hobart on the Channel Highway.

Ancestors associated with Margate include:

bullet

Alan Geoffrey COWLEY b.1935 - abode

TOP

Melville

Melville is no longer a parish in Tasmania.  I assume that it was a parish which incorporated Sorell Springs and Antill Ponds.

 Ancestors associated with Melville parish include:

bullet

Christiana PRESNELL b.c1808 - abode

 
bullet

John PRESNELL b.c1786 - abode

bullet

Thomas PRESNELL b.c1772 - abode

bullet

Eleanor SKELTON b.c1791 - abode

TOP

Moorina

Moorina is a small township in the north east of Tasmania.  It is approximately 35 kilometres east of Scottsdale and 75 kilometres north east of Launceston.  It is approximately 5 kilometres south east of the township of Winnaleah.

Ancestors associated with Moorina include:

bullet

Eliza SHERBURD b.1841 - burial

TOP

Mt Seymour

Mt Seymour is a small township in the southern midlands area of Tasmania, approximately 12 kilometres south east of Oatlands.

Ancestors associated with Mt Seymour include:

bullet

Alan Geoffrey COWLEY b.1935 - abode

 
bullet

John William COWLEY b.1905 - abode, property

 
bullet

Janet Mae DAVIS b.1937 - abode

bullet

Emily HILL b.1839 - abode

bullet

Hazel Joy HINGSTON b.1907 - abode

bullet

James Frederick JENKINS b.c1856 - marriage

bullet

Caroline PRESNELL b.1861 - marriage, abode

 
bullet

William Thomas PRESNELL b.1829 - abode, death

TOP

New Norfolk (Elizabeth Town)

New Norfolk, originally known as Elizabeth Town, is a town approximately 26 kilometres north west of Hobart, situated on the River Derwent. 

Ancestors associated with New Norfolk include:

bullet

Henrietta HARRIS b.1875 - abode

bullet

Christiana PRESNELL b.c1808 - marriage

 
bullet

Thomas PRESNELL b.c1806 - marriage

bullet

William Thomas PRESNELL b.1829 - birth, baptism, abode

 
bullet

James Harold QUAYLE b.c1874 - abode, work

bullet

Vance Doreen QUAYLE b.1910 - birth, baptism, abode

TOP

New Town

These days, New Town is an inner suburb of Hobart.  In Hobart's early days, however, it was a farming district and residence of the wealthy.

Ancestors associated with New Town include:

bullet

Trudy Mae COWLEY b.1964 - abode, property

bullet

Dorcas Harriet TIBBALLS b.c1851 - abode

TOP

Nile

Nile is a small township approximately 30 kilometres south east of Launceston.  

Ancestors associated with Nile include:

bullet

William Caldecut COWLEY b.c1814 - abode (Clarendon)

TOP

Norfolk Plains

Norfolk Plains is a farming district in Tasmania which extends from Westbury, through Cressy to Campbell Town under the Western Tiers.  It includes the settlements of Whitemore, Bishopsbourne, Glenore, Carrick and Hagley.

A "plain" at the time of settlement was considered to be any moderately wooded area (von Stieglitz, 1948).

Ancestors associated with Norfolk Plains include:

bullet

Ann Sarah Maria BANNISTER b.c1817 - abode

bullet

Robert BEAMS b.c1781 - abode

bullet

Susannah BEAMS b.1822 - birth

 
bullet

Susannah BRELSFORD b.c1790 - abode

 
bullet

Henry Thomas HINGSTON b.c1820 - abode

TOP

Oaks

Oaks is a small township approximately 3 kilometres east of Whitemore and 3 kilometres north west of Bishopsbourne.

Ancestors associated with Oaks include:

bullet

Henry Thomas HINGSTON b.1820 - property

TOP

Oatlands

Oatlands is a town situated just off the main highway between Launceston and Hobart in Tasmania.  It is approximately 80 kilometres north of Hobart and approximately 125 kilometres south of Launceston.  

Ancestors associated with Oatlands include:

bullet

Christopher William DAVIS b.1879 - will

bullet

Emily HILL b.1839 - abode, death, burial

bullet

Caroline PRESNELL b.1861 - birth

bullet

John PRESNELL b.c1786 - burial

bullet

Thomas PRESNELL b.c1772 - abode, death, burial

bullet

Thomas PRESNELL b.c1806 - abode

bullet

William Thomas PRESNELL b.1829 - burial

bullet

Eleanor SKELTON b.c1791 - abode, death, burial

TOP

Pateena (Muddy Plains)

Pateena, formerly known as Muddy Plains, is a small township approximately 5 kilometres north of Longford and 15 kilometres south west of Launceston.

Ancestors associated with Pateena include:

bullet

James JESSOP b.c1772 - assignment

TOP

Perth (The Punt)

Perth is a town approximately 25 kilometres south of Launceston on the main highway between Launceston and Hobart. It was formerly known as The Punt.

Ancestors associated with Perth include:

bullet

Susannah BEAMS b.1822 - marriage

bullet

Richard CHUGG b.c1798 - abode (Brine Farm)

bullet

William FISHER b.c1813 - marriage

bullet

Peter HILL b.c1804 - marriage

bullet

Julia MULLINS b.c1805 - marriage

TOP

Port Arthur

Port Arthur is located on the Tasman Peninsula in Tasmania.  In the early 1800s it was a penal settlement.

Ancestors associated with Port Arthur include:

bullet

John Arnold MAWER b.c1806 - abode

TOP

Port Sorell (Burgess)

Port Sorell is a town (formerly known as Burgess) and district on the north west coast of Tasmania.  It is approximately 18 kilometres east of Devonport and 40 kilometres north of Deloraine.  The district includes the townships of Northdown and Wesley Vale.

Ancestors associated with Port Sorell include:

bullet

Maria Lee JESSOP b.1818 - abode (Moorlands), death, burial

bullet

Elizabeth Riley LEE b.1802 - abode (Moorlands), marriage, death

bullet

John Arnold MAWER b.c1804 - abode, property (Moorlands, The Plough Inn, Moorfield), death, burial

bullet

Maria Sophia MAWER b.1835 - abode (Moorlands), property (Moorlands)

bullet

James STEVENSON b.c1816 - abode, death, burial

TOP

Rosevale

Rosevale is a small rural township approximately 17 kilometres west of Launceston.

Ancestors associated with Rosevale include:

bullet

John TRETHEWIE b.c1818 - property

TOP

Ross

Ross is an historic village situated just off the main highway between Hobart and Launceston in Tasmania.  The highway used to go through Ross; it is now bypassed.  Ross is approximately 12 kilometres south of Campbell Town.

 Ancestors associated with Ross include:

bullet

Christopher William DAVIS b.1879 - abode

bullet

Mary Ann FISHER b.1853 - abode

bullet

Peter HILL b.c1804 - burial

bullet

Elizabeth Esther JENKINS b.1885 - abode

bullet

Caroline PRESNELL b.1861 - baptism

bullet

Christiana PRESNELL b.c1808 - abode, property

 
bullet

Thomas PRESNELL b.c1806 - abode

TOP

Salt Pan Plains

Salt Pan Plains is an area to the east of the Midlands Highway near Antill Ponds and Tunbridge.

Ancestors associated with Salt Pan Plains include:

bullet

William Thomas PRESNELL b.1829 - abode

TOP

Skelton

Skelton township was situated on the Macquarie River.  This river flows through Ross and Norfolk Plains. It is most likely to have been a township on or near the Skelton Castle property (which adjoins the property Barton).  Skelton Castle is an estate in the Campbell Town district which was named by Captain DIXON after the ship he commanded before settled on the land.

 Ancestors associated with Skelton include:

bullet

Peter HILL b.c1804 - abode, death

bullet

Julia MULLINS b.c1805 - abode, death

TOP

Sorell Springs

Sorell Springs used to be on the old highway between Hobart and Launceston.  The road was later moved to go through Antill Ponds.  

According to Von Stieglitz (1960), Sorell Springs was renamed by Governor Lachlan MACQUARIE in 1821 from Tin Dish Hole which he thought unworthy.  

The residence Sorell Springs is built where PRESNELL’s White Hart Inn once stood at the bottom of the orchard.  The house originally consisted of 4 rooms with attics built of stone and rubble in the way that so many of the earliest houses were constructed.  Since then other rooms of weatherboard have been added.

 Ancestors associated with Sorell Springs include:

bullet

Christiana PRESNELL b.c1808 - abode

 
bullet

John PRESNELL b.c1786 - abode, property (White Hart Inn)

bullet

Thomas PRESNELL b.c1806 - abode

bullet

Eleanor SKELTON b.c1791 - abode

TOP

South Esk

South Esk is a region in northern Tasmania south of Launceston through which the South Esk River flows.  It incorporates townships such as Evandale, Perth and Longford.  In the early 1800s, when the area was first opened up for farming, the  South Esk River and the areas around it were also known as New River. 

In his journal on 7 December 1811, Governor Lachlan MACQUARIE wrote "the New River or South Esk meandering in a beautiful manner through the plains making the landscape complete".  The Reverend Bobby KNOPWOOD also referred to the New River (ie the South Esk) in his diary on 3 March 1814.  Also, in JEFFREY's Van Diemen's Land 1820 (p.27), he refers to the New River "as yet is not much known."

Ancestors associated with South Esk (New River) include:

bullet

Elizabeth BOUCHER b.c1804 - abode

bullet

James ELY b.c1800 - abode

TOP

St Leonards (Patterson Plains)

St Leonards, formerly known as Patterson Plains, is a township on the outskirts of Launceston, Tasmania.  It is approximately 5 kilometres south east of the city centre on the road to White Hills.  When it was known as Patterson Plains it incorporated Breadalbane, Franklin Village, Elphin and a part of White Hills (von Stieglitz, 1948). 

The Reverend John MEREWETHER was sent to be the first rector of Paterson's Plains and the White Hills in 1850.  He makes the following comments about his flock.

"Many of my poorer parishioners have been prisoners of the Crown, as they prefer to be called - they generally say that they were sent out for poaching!  However, they received me very cordially and seemed particularly anxious that their children should be brought up morally and religiously!"  (von Stieglitz, 1948, p18)

Yet, MEREWETHER also commented:

"... the prisoners were found to be touchy, rather spoilt and far from being the ideal workmen we might imagine them to be."  (von Stieglitz, 1948, p15)

According to von Stieglitz (1948, p27):

The Methodist Church was built in 1846, on land which was the gift of Mr. John Trethewie and the Bible which he gave at that time is still used in the old church.  Shortly after the building was completed, Mr. Trethewie died and his was the first burial in the new cemetery.

The opening service was held on the 12th of September 1846 and was conducted by the Rev. W Butters, who became the first minister. 

Presbyterian services at one time were also held in this building.

Ancestors associated with St Leonards include:

bullet

Raymond Arthur Chugg COWLEY b.1903 - cremation

bullet

Mary HAWKEY b.c1797 - abode (Darleymoor), death, burial

bullet

Maria Sophia MAWER b.1835 - burial

bullet

Frances ROWE b.c1823 - abode (Grange Farm)

bullet

John TRETHEWIE b.c1799 - abode (Darleymoor), property, death, burial

 
bullet

John TRETHEWIE b.c1818 - abode (Grange Farm)

TOP

Tamar River

The Tamar River runs north from Launceston, from the confluence of the South Esk and North Esk Rivers to Bass Strait near George Town

Ancestors associated with the Tamar River include:

bullet

William Cain CREW b.c1821 - death

TOP

Trevallyn

Trevallyn is now a suburb of Launceston situated at the junction of the Tamar and South Esk Rivers.

Ancestors associated with Trevallyn include:

bullet

Frances ROWE b.c1823 - abode

 
bullet

John TRETHEWIE b.c1818 - abode

bullet

John TRETHEWIE b.c1799 - abode

TOP

Tunbridge

Tunbridge is a small town on the Midlands Highway approximately half way between Launceston and Hobart.  It is about 25 kilometres south of Campbell Town, 15 kilometres south west of Ross and 18 kilometres north of Oatlands.

Ancestors associated with Tunbridge include:

bullet

Caroline PRESNELL b.1861 - birth

bullet

William Thomas PRESNELL b.1829 - abode

TOP

Westbury

Westbury is a village on the old highway between Launceston and Deloraine, Tasmania.  It is approximately 35 kilometres west of Launceston and approximately 15 kilometres east of Deloraine.

Ancestors associated with Westbury include:

bullet

Robert BEAMS b.c1781 - abode, death

bullet

William Cain CREW b.c1819 - abode

bullet

Hubert William Henry HINGSTON b.1878 - birth

TOP

White Hills

White Hills is a township in a farming district approximately 15 kilometres south east of Launceston. According to von Stieglitz (1948), there were many suspicious characters living in the White Hills district in the 1820s.

A description of White Hills is given by Widowson in his 1829 account of Tasmania.

"Continuing on through this rich vale you pass the house and ground of Mr. Rose (Corra Linn).  The paddocks are enclosed and under cultivation.  The same good soil runs up the valley to the residence of Major MacLeod ('Talisker' at the White Hills), which although not very pleasantly situated, fronts a fine enclosed arable farm on a sloping hill.  The building and threshing machine are on this slope.  Beneath is an extent of garden.  The Major is a considerable landowner and owns an excellent water mill about a mile from the Punt (Perth) ferry, on the South Esk. 

"At the back of Major MacLeod's are the farms of Messrs Sutherland and Lett.  The latter gentleman has built a house of brick (old 'Curramore') large enough for a country infirmary ...  On the right of Major MacLeod's grant are the grants of Dr. Owen and others, beside several farms in the occupation of Messrs. Bartley ('Kerry Lodge', now 'Strathroy') and Sinclair (who was granted 'Clairville' for capturing a bushranger).  These extend nearly to the road leading from the Punt to Launceston."  (von Stieglitz, 1948, p11)

Another description of White Hills is given by Reverend John MEREWETHER on 15 October 1850.

"The district of the White Hills adjoins the Paterson's Plains.  It consists of undulating hills of wonderful corn-bearing capacity and is inhabited by a hardy, rigorous independent race of farmers ...  I am the first clergyman appointed to the place.  I am told that I shall have some trouble with the people, who are very sore, after building a church (St Pauls), at having to remain so long without a minister."  (von Stieglitz, 1948, p11)

The Reverend John MEREWETHER was sent to be the first rector of Paterson's Plains and the White Hills in 1850.  He makes the following comments about his flock.

"Many of my poorer parishioners have been prisoners of the Crown, as they prefer to be called - they generally say that they were sent out for poaching!  However, they received me very cordially and seemed particularly anxious that their children should be brought up morally and religiously!"  (von Stieglitz, 1948, p18)

Yet, MEREWETHER also commented:

"... the prisoners were found to be touchy, rather spoilt and far from being the ideal workmen we might imagine them to be."  (von Stieglitz, 1948, p15)

There are two churches in White Hills - an Anglican church and a Methodist church.  von Stieglitz wrote about them in 1948:

St. Paul's at the White Hills is now a neglected little building with a shingle roof.  This is the second church building, as the first (made of brick in 1843 and consecrated on December1 5th, 1857), became unsafe for services during the seventies of last century and was demolished.  The present building was constructed in 1882.

Many of the tombstones have fallen over and wattle trees are springing up everywhere.  In the cemetery, the largest plot is that of the pioneering Gee family. 

There is a well-cared for Methodist Church on the Blessington Road, of more recent date.  (pp34-36)

The solid stone building in the middle of White Hills was built as a hotel, but never licensed.  A less substantial building served as the Farmers Arms (Egerton) hotel - this was built in the 1820s and run by a  man called HARDMAN.

According to von Stieglitz (1948 p19), Breadalbane and the White Hills district:

... had a fine Scottish tradition.  There were the MacLeans, who brought out with them most of the material for their home from the Isle of Skye.  This, when built, was the second 'Talisker' house, as the first, erected by the MacLeods, had fallen into disrepair ...  The present building is the third house of the same name on the property.  Their neighbours were the MacLeods ...  Colin Campbell, another Scot, lived at 'Borbeck' and was an athlete of some repute.

In the 1830s, Colin CAMPBELL owned many cattle at his farm at White Hills.  Talisker was sold to the MACLEANs by Norman MACLEOD (the Major's son) in 1854.  This property was later owned by Norman GEE.

About half a mile on the St Leonard's side of 'Talisker' and on the same side of the road, but well back from it on a high bank, is a ruined, weatherboard place which seems to have no name, but is owned by Mr Norman Gee, as is 'Talisker' ... (von Stieglitz, 1948, pp34-36)

Original grantees of first properties in the White Hills district included:

bullet

Bullocks Hunting Ground - BULLOCK, but soon owned by Thomas GEE

bullet

Clonmines - John CAPE, later rented by William LETTE

bullet

Corra Lynn - Mr ROSE

bullet

Curraghmore - Peter LETTE

bullet

Dunedin - EDEN, then sold to John ROBSON

bullet

Illaroo - Isaac de BOMFORD

bullet

Millwood Plains - Donald SUTHERLAND, who also leased Black Hill (The Flats), and later sold Millwood Plains and bought Watery Plains

bullet

Mount Edgecombe - John ADAMS

bullet

Northcote (across the river from Leichhardt) - C B HARDWICKE

bullet

Newnham Hall - William Beaumont GRUBB (father of above)

bullet

Relbia - Henry GARDNER

 
bullet

Rosetta (Leichhardt) - LAIRDs

bullet

Talisker - Major Donald MACLEOD, granted 2000 acres in 1821

bullet

The Grange (adjoins Tolarno) - EYRE - the old homestead later became the St Leonards Golf Club house

bullet

Tolarno - William Cooks GRUBB

 
bullet

Verulam - rectory until 1850, Rev F BROWNRIGG

According to von Stieglitz (1948, p27), "racing carnivals of an exciting variety were held in Boomer's Paddock ("boomer" being the name generally applied to the largest kangaroos), on the hill above 'Curramore House'."

White Hills features strongly in the COWLEY and HINGSTON branches of the family.

Ancestors associated with White Hills include:

bullet

John CHUGG b.1845 - abode, property (Corra Lynn)

bullet

Mary Elizabeth Ellen CHUGG b.1876 - abode

bullet

Arthur Archibald COWLEY b.1868 - birth, marriage, abode, property

bullet

John William COWLEY b.1905 - abode, property

bullet

Maxwell Francis COWLEY b.1911 - death

bullet

William Caldecut COWLEY b.c1814 - abode, property, death

bullet

Charlotte Louisa CREW b.1857 - abode (Corra Lynn, Kia Ora, Everton), death

bullet

Ann DALY b.c1826 - abode

bullet

Mary HAWKEY b.c1797 - abode (Curraghmore)

bullet

Hazel Joy HINGSTON b.1907 - abode

bullet

Hubert William Henry HINGSTON b.1878 - abode (Tecoma)

bullet

Maria Sophia MAWER b.1835 - marriage, abode (Millwood Plains), death

bullet

Frances ROWE b.c1823 - abode (Curraghmore), death, burial

 
bullet

James STEVENSON b.c1816 - marriage, abode (Millwood Plains)

bullet

Mary Ann Elizabeth STEVENSON b.1859 - birth, marriage, abode (Millwood Plains, Curraghmore)

 
bullet

John TRETHEWIE b.c1799 - abode, property (Curraghmore)

bullet

John TRETHEWIE b.c1818 - abode, property (Curraghmore)

 
bullet

Marian Blanche TRETHEWIE b.1881 - birth, abode (Tecoma)

 
bullet

William John TRETHEWIE b.1849 - marriage, abode (Curraghmore)

TOP

Corra Lynn, White Hills

Corra Lynn (or Corra Linn), a property at White Hills, was originally granted to the ROSE family.  In 1948 it was owned by David CHUGG and his wife Ivy GEE.  The last of the ROSE family sold the remaining 1000 acres of the original grant to A B CHUGG. 

Descendants of Richard CHUGG rented Corra Lynn from the last descendants of the ROSE family (James and his two sisters Madeline and Margaret).

Ancestors associated with Corra Lynn include:

bullet

John CHUGG b.1845 - abode, property

 
bullet

Charlotte Louisa CREW b.1857 - abode

TOP

Curraghmore, White Hills

Curraghmore, a property at White Hills, was originally granted to Peter LETTEIt adjoined Talisker and Tecoma.

Lieutenant Peter Lett built old 'Curramore House' ...  Tradition says that he was a slave trader during part of the time he was in the East India Company before coming to Tasmania.  One of his sons, Peter, was a pioneer surveyor in the Port Sorell district.  There are old tales of the methods used by him against any convict servant caught in the act of stealing, or other misdemeanours of a grave nature.  The story goes that these poor wretches were taken upstairs to the second storey and compelled to walk the plank, falling with horrid screams onto the hard gravel below, where they were generally killed and their ghosts wailed long and unavailingly about the house.  (von Stieglitz, 1948, p20)

There is no proof that Peter Lette was a Lieutenant - von Stieglitz sometimes got it wrong!

von Stieglitz (1948, pp34-36) also wrote the following about Curraghmore and Peter LETTE:

Here (White Hills) the earliest and most outstanding personality in the old days was Lieut. Peter Lette, of 'Curramore', who arrived in 1817.  Lette built the original house at 'Curramore' in 1826, the lower storey of which is still standing.  The new house was built by the Trethewie family and is now the home of Mr and Mrs D L Mackinnon.

Peter Lette's widow married Henry Stevenson, another early settler, who bought part of 'Curramore' when the property was divided in the early fifties.

On the high river bank, down from the Methodist church, is an old house, roof-less now and neglected, with the stumps of trees which once formed an orchard, standing bleakly around it.  This was the home of Mrs Elizabeth Lette when her husband, the builder of 'Curramore' died and was buried in the Cypress Street Cemetery.

According to von Stieglitz (1948, p27), "racing carnivals of an exciting variety were held in Boomer's Paddock ("boomer" being the name generally applied to the largest kangaroos), on the hill above 'Curramore House'."

Ancestors associated with Curraghmore include:

bullet

Mary HAWKEY b.c1797 - abode

bullet

Frances ROWE b.c1823 - abode

 
bullet

Mary Ann Elizabeth STEVENSON b.1859 - abode

 
bullet

John TRETHEWIE b.c1799 - abode, property

bullet

John TRETHEWIE b.c1818 - abode, property

 
bullet

William John TRETHEWIE b.1849 - abode

TOP

Whitemore

Whitemore, originally known as Glenore, is a small farming township situated approximately 7 kilometres SSW of Carrick, 8 kilometres SSE of Hagley, 3 kilometres east of what is known today as Glenore, 3 kilometres west of Oaks and 17 kilometres north west of Cressy in the Norfolk Plains district.

Ancestors associated with Glenore/Whitemore include:

bullet

Margaret DOBSON b.1843 - marriage, school, abode

bullet

William DOBSON b.c1817 - abode, property, death

bullet

Andrew Henry HINGSTON b.1847 - marriage, abode

bullet

Henry Thomas HINGSTON b.c1820 - property (Rosaville)

bullet

Ann RICHARDSON b.c1818 - abode, death

TOP

Winnaleah

Winnaleah is a township in the north east of Tasmania.  It is approximately 30 kilometres ENE of Scottsdale and 70 kilometres north east of Launceston.  It is approximately 5 kilometres north west of the small township of Moorina.

Ancestors associated with Winnaleah include:

bullet

Henrietta HARRIS b.1875 - abode

bullet

James Harold QUAYLE b.c1874 - abode

bullet

Vance Doreen QUAYLE b.1910 - abode

bullet

Eliza SHERBURD b.1841 - abode, death

TOP

 

Back Home Next

If you have any queries or comments, please email me.
I am willing to provide source details upon request.