20. Col. Thomas3 Wallingford (John2, Nicholas1) was born in Bradford, Essex County, Massachusetts 28 July 1697. The published Bradford vital records state the year as "169[8?]"(415) , which apparently indicates that the date is difficult to read. However in a NH Provincial court case in which his uncle James Wallingford sues him, a copy of Thomas' birth record made by the town clerk of Bradford in 1715 is included, and it clearly gives the date as July 28, 1697.(416) Thomas died 4 August 1771, in Portsmouth, Rockingham County, New Hampshire. The diary of Somersworth schoolmaster Joseph Tate reads, "Sunday, Aug. ye 4th. 1771 Collo. Thomas Wallingford of Somersworth Dy'd at Capt. Stoodley's at Portsmouth, was Carried up to Somersworth in the Evening & Buried on Tuesday, Aug. ye 6th. Aged 74 years ye 28th. day of July last."(417) He was buried in the Salmon Falls old town cemetery in Rollinsford, N.H.(418)
He married three times. He married first, Margaret Clements, about 1717, probably in Dover, New Hampshire.(419) Margaret's father made his will in October 1716 and in it Margaret still have the surname Clements was likely wasn't married yet(420). Allowing for the births of their children at the logical times suggests a year of 1717 for the wedding, or possibly late 1716.(421) Margaret is mentioned as his wife in a deed of 1 October 1719.(422)
Margaret was born about 1698, in Dover, New Hampshire.(423) Margaret was the daughter of Job Clements and Abigail Heard. Margaret died in 1729 or 1730, probably in Dover, New Hampshire.(424) Margaret was baptised, as an adult, by the Rev. Jonathan Cushing of the First Church of Dover, on 18 February 1729.(425) It is probable that she died shortly after that, and it may have been her illness which induced the baptism. On 21 July 1730 her husband Thomas sold a piece of property and his wife Mary released her dower, so by this time Margaret was evidently deceased.
Thomas married second, Mary Pray, before 21 July 1730.(426) We know he married before this because his wife's name was Mary in a deed of that date.
Mary was born prob. before 1712, probably in Berwick or Kittery, Maine. IGI records give three different births for her. According to that source she was born about 1714 in either Berwick or Kittery, or about 1699 in Berwick. If born in 1714 she would have been only about 15 when married, which seems unlikely. Her parents lived in Berwick, but the town of Berwick was organized in 1713, originally being part of Kittery. Her birth record doesn't appear in the published Kittery vital records, although the birth of a sister Elizabeth in 1704 does.(427) She was called Mary Wallingford in her father's 1747 will.(428) One source(429) gives her parents as as Joseph Pray and Joanna Dowman but this is confused with her grandparents whose names were John Pray and Joanna Dowman. Mary was the daughter of Joseph Pray and Mary Grant.
Mary died between 1751 and 1755.(430) She was still alive as late as 11 July 1751 when she is mentioned in her father's probate records.
Thomas married third, Elizabeth Swett, about 1754.(431) This date is based on the date of birth of their first child in early 1755.
Elizabeth was born 15 September 1718, in Hampton, New Hampshire.(432) Her parents were from Hampton Falls, N.H. before moving to York, Maine around the time Elizabeth was born.(433) Elizabeth was the daughter of Joseph Swett and Hannah Sayward.
Elizabeth died 3 December 1810, in Berwick, York County, Maine.(434) Elizabeth Wallingford, "relict of Hon. Thomas", is buried in the Salmon Falls old town cemetery in Rollinsford, N.H.(435)
Thomas Wallingford, Esq. was one of the most noted men of the town of Somersworth, which was part of the town of Dover until 1754, and one of the wealthiest men in the state of New Hampshire. He moved to the area with his father when only a young child and worked in his father's saw mill, which he later inherited and continued to operate. He lived on the old road from Dover to Salmon Falls, a section of Somersworth/Rollinsford, near the first meeting house at Rollinsford Junction. "His home was located somewhere between the meeting house and the falls on the Salmon Falls River, being the last house on the left as one approaches the falls. He was also a merchant and had a store at Rollinsford Junction near the meeting house." "In these early years when the present town of Rollinsford had parochial powers only, as the parish of Summersworth, the area was part of the town of Dover. So influential was Col. Thomas Wallingford that he was elected a representative for the town of Dover (which then included all of Rollinsford) to the Royal Provincial Assembly continuously from 1739 to 1745. He was also the moderator at the Dover town meetings in 1739, 1745, 1746 and 1748, and he was elected selectman for the town of Dover in 1733, 1739, 1741 to 1746 inclusive, and again in 1748. Colonel Thomas Wallingford was named a Judge of the Superior Court of the Province of New Hampshire in 1748, and held this position until his death, a period of 23 years... He held the rank of Colonel in the Royal Colonial Militia for the Province. His grave is located in the old cemetery off Roberts Road in Rollinsford."(436)
He was an extensive landowner, being one of the original Masonian Proprietors, a group of wealthy seacoast area merchants who purchased claim to ownership of all wastelands within sixty miles of New Hampshire's coast. It was through land sales, township grants and the reservation of much land for their own use that these Masonian Proprietors gained such immense wealth(437). One such piece of land, in Weare, N.H., included what is now known as Mt. Wallingford, named after Thomas.
Like many of the rich families of early New England, the Wallingfords were slaveowners. In the inventory of Thomas's estate four slaves are mentioned -- a woman named Phillis, a girl named Dinah, a man named Richmond and a boy named Cato. Cato is likely the one who served in the Revolutionary War. Phillis died 18 February 1773, but before she died she had been offered to Thomas's son in law Capt. William Pearne, who married the daughter Mary. The girl Dinah was described as "disordered in Mind & body of no value".(438)
Because he bought and sold so much land it will be difficult to record all of his land transactions here, although it is hoped that they will all be included eventually. He purchased land primarily in the Dover and Somersworth areas, but also in many other towns, and not only in N.H. His land transactions in N.H. take place almost every year from 1718 until his death in 1771.
Below will be a chronological listing of land, court and other transactions pertaining to Thomas Wallingford, along with other biographical events:
2 March 1715/6 -- Thomas Wallingford of Bradford, Mass. purchased land in Kingston, N.H. from Daniel Gordon of Kingston.(439)
25 April 1718 -- Thomas of Bradford purchased more land in Kingston from Ephraim Seaverns of Kingston.(440)
1 October 1719 -- Thomas and his wife Margaret of Dover, N.H. sold land in Dover "at Cocheco" to John Hayes of Dover.(441)
20 March 1726/7 -- Thomas Wallingford sold, for £55 from the widow Martha Wentworth of Dover, an eighth part of a saw mill on the Dover shore as well as an eighth part of an ironworks that went with the mill. Thomas signed and his wife Margaret made her mark, acknowledging it at Portsmouth on 15 August following.(442)
25 July 1727 -- Dover town records on that date describe the division of a 100 acre lot of land on the Salmon Falls River jointly owned by Thomas and the late Capt. Benjamin Wentworth. The division was made between Thomas and Benjamin's widow Elizabeth.(443) Two of the Wentworth's children married children of Thomas Wallingford.
3 March 1728 -- "Where as Thomas Wallingford had fifteen acres of Land Granted him by the Selectmen of the Town of Dover in the year , it being an alowance for a high way laid out through his land from the Salmon Falls Roade up toward Endego hill..." This land was 10 acres on the east and north part of Wentworth Swamp and five acres on the south side of the swamp bordering land of Meturen Ricker Jr.(444)
25 April 1729 -- Thomas and many other residents of the area of Dover now known as Rollinsford signed a Dover petition asking the Governor, Council and General Assembly to set off the northeast part of Dover as a separate parish.(445) This was the beginning of the parish of "Summersworth", later to become the town of Somersworth.
October 1731 -- "then laid out by the request of Samuel Heard 8 acres of land granted to Capt. Thomas Wallingford by the Selectmen for a road as will appear on the Dover Record."(446)
1733 -- Thomas spent one term as one of the Selectmen for the town of Dover and was also a town meeting moderator.(447)
6 February 1732/3 -- Thomas was one of a large number of people from Dover who petitioned for a new township grant where "there is a considerable Tract of land very commodious for Settlement lying nigh Winnepissocay Pond" and we "not having a competency of land to afford us a comfortable Subsistance". This petition was "Order'd to lye for consideration" on March 3d.(448) What, if anything, was done about it in the future is unknown by this writer at present. Why Thomas would sign a petition stating that he didn't have enough land to afford him a comfortable subsistance is anyone's guess.
8 January 1733/4 -- Elizabeth Wentworth, executrix of the estate of her late husband Benjamin Wentworth, petitioned the Provincial General Assembly meeting in Portsmouth for relief against a judgment obtained by Capt. Thomas Wallingford against Samuel Walton, her tenant, which she maintained was arranged between the two men to her prejudice. The Assembly postponed any action on the petition until the 11th, but there is no record as to the final action.(449)
24 November 1735 -- Capt. Thomas Wallingford and the Rev. James Pike were among the proprietors in the first division of Narraganset Township No. 1, which became known as Buxton, Maine in 1772. They received a lot in Range B Number 1 on the right of Nicolas Tarbot. This township was one of seven awarded to soldiers who had fought in King Philip's War. Apparently they must have purchaed Nicolas Tarbot's right to the land. At a meeting to divide the second division of town on 13 October 1738 Wallingford and the Rev. Pike received a lot in Range H Number 10, also on the right of Nicolsa Tarbot.(450)
13 February 1738 -- James Wallingford of Bradford, yeoman, (likely Thomas' uncle) sued Thomas for £40 to collect on a £20 bond dated 20 November 1716. The bond was an agreement between Thomas Wallingford, husbandman, of Bradford to pay £20 current money of New England and was witnessed by Abigail Davison and D. Davison and signed by Thomas. James was initially awarded £20 but on 8 March 1738 a jury found for the defendant and awarded all court costs to Thomas. The defendant had argued that at the time of the date of the bond he was "an infant" under the age of 21 and therefore not responsible to pay it. Included with the case records is a certified copy of Thomas' birth record from Bradford showing that he would have been 19 years old at the time. On 7 March 1739 James sued Thomas again to recover costs from the previous case in the sum of £18, originally awarded to Thomas but James complained that it should have gone to himself. The outcome of this appeal is not included in the case file, although the case was apparently heard on the first Tuesday of August 1739.(451)
1739 -- Thomas was one of the selectmen for Dover.(452)
1739 -- The township of Bakerstown, now Salisbury, N.H., was laid out and granted in this year to the "Soldiers in the expedition to Canada Anno 1690 under the Command of Capt John March". Included among the proprietors from Newbury, Mass. was Capt. Thomas Wallingford, although he was living in Dover, N.H. at the time(453). He likely was part of this grant on the basis of his father John having served on that expedition in 1690.
24 October 1739 -- Capt. Thomas Wallingford was sworn in for his first term as one of Dover's three representatives to the Province's General Assembly meeting in Portsmouth. He continued to be a representative from Dover through at least the end of the year 1747, and perhaps into the next year, but was not a representative again after 1748.(454)
1741-1746 -- Thomas was continually one of the selectmen for Dover. At the same time he was one of the town meeting moderators.(455)
9 June 1743 -- Thomas Wallingford, Esq., of Somersworth sued Samuel Walton of Somersworth, trader, for £33 in a claim against a note of 14 September 1738 in which Walton owed Thomas £25-19-3 and a note of 5 April 1740 for £40 in merchantable boards.(456)
29 June 1743 to 24 January 1745 -- At some point during this period Thomas lost the designation of "Captain" and gained that of "Colonel"(457). These titles were likely designations for the local militia rather than for any actual military service. How he came about the title of Captain is unknown at present but the title of Colonel probably came about in 1744 through an appointment by N.H. Governor Benning Wentworth. In 1744, the year King George's War broke out with France, the House had its first major dispute with the governor when they refused to vote supplies for Fort Dummer, a Connecticut Valley outpost so distant from existing settlements that the representatives felt it offered no military protection to New Hampshire residents. Wentworth defended himself on the basis that he had been given specific instructions from London to have the fort supplied, then went on to dissolve the assembly and call for new elections. He did not leave the results of the new election to chance, and one of the moves he made to insure delegates favorable to him was to to use what influence he had in communities around the Province. In Dover, Thomas Wallingford engineered the election of a delgation favorable to Wentworth, and it isn't hard to imagine that Wentworth, in gratitude for this favor, honored Wallingford by raising his military rank to Colonel. The govenor was empowered to make such appointments and frequently did so to reward his friends.(458)
15 February 1744/5 -- Colonel Thomas Wallingford, as a member of the House of Representatives, made an official complaint before that body that two days earlier a Portsmouth shopkeeper by the name of Cyprian Jeffrey assaulted him by drawing out his knife and saying he would cut Wallingford's throat "if he got forty men to do it". The House voted that by such action Jeffrey "did greatly affront ye said House, Insult & offer great Indignity to them". They further voted that a warrant go out for Jeffrey's arrest and that he be brought before the House to be dealt with. Jeffrey was arrested and brought before the house on March 4th, but as Wallingford and other witnesses were not then present he was returned to custody until the third of April, when they finally dealt with the matter. Jeffrey acknowledged himself to be at fault and declared that he had no designs to affront the House nor Col. Wallingford. He prayed for their forgiveness, and Wallingford declared himself to be satisfied. The House ordered that Jeffrey be dismissed paying costs.(459)
12 August 1746 -- Wallingford was on a list of Masonian Proprietors included in a journal of the House of Representatives(460). A few days earlier, on July 30th, Thomas and the other Masonian Proprietors signed a quitclaim deed to all or nearly all the towns in the Province relinquishing any rights they held in common to any lands in any of the said towns, excepting, of course, any lands any of them may have owned as an individual.(461)
4 December 1747 -- Representative Thomas Wallingford was made a committee of one in the House to investigate stolen Provincial stores and provisions that were carried to Rochester and Lake Winnipesaukee the previous winter. These were such things as snow shoes, axes, kettles, etc. and this all took place during King George's War. Wallingford was empowered to deal with the perpetrators should they be found.(462) Documents in the N.H. State Papers don't record what happened later.
1748 -- After a one year hiatus Thomas was again a Dover selectmen and town meeting moderator.(463)
26 May 1748 -- Thomas Wallingford petitioned the N.H. General Assembly in behalf of the parish of Somersworth asking that an act be passed enabling the parish to choose a collector of their annual taxes. The Legislature asked that he send a copy to the Dover Selectmen so that they might comment, and on the first of June, after hearing from the Selectmen, the Assembly denied the petition.(464) Somersworth wasn't to become a separate town until 1754.
September 1748 -- Thomas was one of many signers of a petition for a division of the town of Berwick, Maine. On 24 December 1748 he appeared on a "Constable's list" of taxpayers in Berwick, being taxed 19s, 9p. His name was on a slip of paper containing 16 names, inserted amidst several full pages of additional Berwick inhabitants that don't include tax rates. Thomas' name isn't on the list of Berwick inhabitants, so the tax likely applied to lands he owned. Of the 16 names on the list his tax was the highest(465).
11 September 1750 -- Thomas is listed as one of three Justices of the Superior Court of Judicature in Portsmouth.(466)
17 April 1754 -- The Journal of the New Hampshire House mentions that a fellow member brought up the "memorial" (another word for a type of petition) of Thomas Wallingford and others, a Committee appointed by a Society of Gentlemen who had raised a sum of moeny for building a work house and making an offer thereof to the Province. The house referred the petition to committee.(467)
3 May 1758 -- A letter to the House from Gov. Benning Wentworth mentions the regiment of Col. Wallingford.(468) This was during the French and Indian War.
11 March 1768 -- Thomas Wallingford, as one of two representatives of the town of Somersworth, signed a petition to the Governor, Council and General Assembly recommending that the Province be divided into counties.(469) The Legislature passed an act establishing counties on 29 April 1769 and this was confirmed by the King on 19 March 1771.
9 July 1770 -- The diary of Somersworth schoolmaster Joseph Tate includes this entry on this date: "An Honourable present made to ye Town of Somersworth by ye Worshipful Thos. Wallingford Esq. Collo. Wallingford (A town Bell."(470)
4 August 1771 -- This is the day Thomas died, and the record of his death is recorded in local newspapers and by Somersworth schoolmaster Joseph Tate. But it also appears in a most unusual place, as described in an article in the New Hampshire Genealogical Record of January 1996. In the Museum of New Hampshire History can be found an old silver salver, or tray, made in London around 1750, that belonged to Theodore Atkinson, a lawyer, judge and state legislator and brother-in-law to colonial Governor Benning Wentworth. On it are inscribed the names, death dates, and death ages of 47 people, the last being T. Wallingford Esqr.(471)
22 June 1772 -- Somersworth schoolmaster Joseph Tate's diary has the following entry for this date: "a piece of Land Sank on Collo. Thos. Wallingfords Land of Somersworth Decd. Lying at a place called ye 9 Notches on Berwick Side."(472)
18 February 1773 -- From Master Tate's Record: "Thursday, Feb. 18. 1773. Madam Eliz. Wallingfords Negro Phillis Dy'd."(473)
Probate papers. The probate papers for the estate of Thomas Wallingford, who died intestate, are quite extensive and only portions will be summarized here. They exist in three separate places. Most of the papers are with the early New Hampshire probate in the N.H. Archives(474). A division of the estate done in 1779 is with early Strafford County probates(475) , and a 1772 division of his Maine lands is in York County probates.(476)
From reading the probate papers one gets the impression that the older children did not like the widow Wallingford, Thomas's third wife. Thomas Jr., Ebenezer Wallingford, and John Wentworth (who married the daughter Elizabeth) all filed an objection against the inventory done in December 1773 by the widow. A long, detailed list of objections is included but all were ruled in the widow's favor by the judge in the case. This matter went on until at least March of 1775 when Thomas Jr. and John Wentworth signed a petition to order the widow to finish her inventory, to which she replied vehemently that it had "long since been done". The first inventory of the estate was done in September 1771 by Moses Carr and James Stoodly and the total estate was more than £23,107, showing just how rich the man was. The inventory done by the widow a few years later shows a total of just over £1078, but this was taken after some of the estate had been distributed to the heirs.
The first division of the estate among the heirs was made on 10 September 1772.(477) To the widow Elizabeth went 50 acres of homestead and buildings in Somersworth and her one third of the estate. Also a farm at Back River in Dover of about 118 acres with buildings, being that late purchased from Thomas Leighton. Also a house and lot of land in Portsmouth laying by the streets leading from the ferry to Spring Hill (so called), lately occupied by Mr. Scammell. Finally there was a pew in the North Meeting House in Portsmouth. To Thomas Jr. went a double share, his right as the eldest son, which included the farm in Somersworth where he was then living containing about 155 acres. Also one third of the original right of Timothy Robinson, John Rawlings and Samuel Courson in the Third and Fourth Divisions of land in Rochester. To Hannah, wife of John Brown, went 115 acres and buildings in Somersworth where they were then living. Also 39 acres in Somersworth being part of the farm possessed by Mark Wallingford, another of the heirs. To Margaret Goodwin, wife of James, about 87 acres in Somersworth. Also all the "Thatch Bed" that belonged to her father at the time of his death, existing at a place called Cocheco Point. Also about 13 acres originally purchased from Ensign John Tibbets in Somersworth. To the heirs of Abigail Sanders, late wife of Edward, two lots of land in Portsmouth. To Ebenezer Wallingford, about 85 acres and buildings where he was then living in Somersworth. Also one quarter part of a double saw mill on Salmon Falls. To Mark Wallingford, about 56 acres in Somersworth that were then in his possession. To Mary, wife of William Pearne, part of a wharf and the contiguous land in Portsmouth. Also two and a half acres at Islington (so called) in Portsmouth originally purchased from William Bennett. To Elizabeth, wife of Col. John Wentworth, the whole of Jackson's Island (so called) in Portsmouth Harbor. Also the house and garden in Somersworth near Quamphegan Bridge where Elizabeth had formerly lived and about 17 acres of land near the bridge. To Rachel, wife of Silas Nowell, a house in Portsmouth and a lot of land in Portsmouth. To Lydia, wife of Samuel Lord, a store or warehouse with part of a wharf and contiguous land in Portsmouth adjoining Mary Pearne's lot. Also 25 acres on the Plains in Somersworth, originally purchased from Samuel Rendal and Thomas Hobbs. To Samuel Wallingford, about 124 acres in Somersworth next to his brother Ebenezer's lot. Also a lot of land in Portsmouth. To Olive Wallingford, a house and lot in Portsmouth. And finally, "all the Lands belonging to the Said Intestate at the Time of his Death in the Lands purchased by sundry Proprietors of John Tuftin Mason Esqr commonly called Mason Right or Claim is divided in the following manner viz To Thomas Wallingford the Eldest son Two thirteenth parts and to Ebenezer, Mark and Samuel Wallingford, Hannah Brown, Margaret Goodwin, The Heirs of Abigail Sanders, Mary Pearne, Elizabeth Wentworth, Rachel Noel, Lydia Lord and Olive Wallingford, one Thirteenth part to Each According to the Quantity and Quality of the same to hold to them in severalty."
A division of his Maine lands was made on 10 October 1772 by James Gowen of Kittery, Esq., Benjamin Chadbourne and Humphry Chadbourn, both of Berwick, Esqs, Nathan Lord, Gent, and James Warren, Jr., yeoman, both of Berwick.(478) To the widow Elizabeth went about 180 acres, part of the Great Farm (so called) at Salmon Falls in Berwick, heretofore called Col. Plaisted's farm, with the house and barn and 29 acres purchased from Stephen Tobey (being Lot 34, 3rd Check, Kittery Commons). Also 100 additional acres purchased from Tobey being Lot 7, 1st Check, Proprietors Common Land. Also 100 acres of land (being Lot 6, 5th Range above Little River) and 50 acres of which is part of Lot 4, 6th Range below Little River. Also 100 acres of land in Lebanon, commonly called Laribee's Grant, plus half a fowling marsh in Berwick. Also 12 acres originally purchased from Jeremiah Frost which lies above Cranberry Meadow in Berwick. To the eldest son Thomas Jr., his double portion, including 26 acres of the Great Farm at Salmon Falls, with house and barn. Also about 37 acres purchased of Thomas Worster next to Salmon Falls River. Also 100 acres in Berwick Commons (Lot 6, 6th Range above Little River). Also 50 acres in the same commons (Lot 2 Range 11 below Little River). Also a right in Lebanon purchased of Tobias Leighton and 27 acres laid out by a grant and purchased of Stagpoloe, near Keys Marsh Brook. To son Ebenezer, 25 acres in Berwick that was purchased of William Key, and 3/4 of 2/3 of his father's holdings in a thatch bog in Berwick called the fowling Marsh, and 97 acres near the Stair Falls (Lot 1 Range 1 of Berwick Proprietors Common Land above Little River), and 20 acres in Berwick Commons, and 37 acres in Berwick Commons (Lot 1, 6th Range above Little River). To son Mark about 20 acres in Berwick from the Great Farm and 100 acres in Berwick purchased of Thomas Cutt called Lot 35, 3rd Check, Kittery Commons in Berwick, and 29 1/4 acres in Berwick purchased of Stephen Eastwick and of John and Nicholas Shapleigh. Also the right his father had in Narragansett No. 1, now called Buxton, Maine. To son Samuel, about 29 acres from the Great Farm in Berwick, and 100 acres in Berwick Commons above Little River, called Lot 1, 3rd Range, and 14 acres in Berwick. To daughter Hannah, wife of John Brown, 28 acres from the Great Farm, plus 50 acres in Berwick Commons (Lot 1, 10th Range below Little River), and 50 acres in the Commons (Lot 2, 5th Range), and 6 acres laid out to her father on 1 January 1731/2. To daughter Margaret, wife of James Goodwin, 28 acres from the Great Farm, plus 100 acres in Berwick Commons above Little River (Lot 2, 3rd Range), plus that part of the right of land in Lebanon her father purchased of Joseph Peve, plus one quarter of her father's interest in a saw mill and privileges at Salmon Falls in Berwick. To the legal representatives of daughter Abigail Saunders, deceased, 48 acres in the farm in Berwick purchased by her father of Bile Dudley at Loves Brook, plus a 100 acre lot (Lot 7, 1st Range, Berwick Commons), and half a right of land in Lebanon purchased from John Lewis. To daughter Mary, wife of William Pearne, 28 acres in the Great Farm at Salmon Falls, plus 120 acres in Berwick purchased from Ichabod Plaisted, and one quarter of two thirds of her father's thatch beds in Berwick. To daughter Elizabeth, wife of the Hon. John Wentworth, about 40 acres in Berwick from land purchased of Bile Dudley at Loves Brook, plus one quarter of her father's interest in a saw mill at Salmon Falls with the privileges. Also 100 acres in Berwick Commons above Little River (Lot 7, 5th Range), plus nine acres laid out to her father in Berwick on 20 January 1731/2. To daughter Rachel, wife of Silas Nowell, 20 acres from the Great Farm at Salmon Falls, plus one third of 500 acres to the east of the town of Lebanon called Baker's Grant. To daughter Lydia, wife of Samuel Lord 3rd, 15 acres purchased of Samuel Worster plus 15 other acres near the first. Also one whole right to land in Lebanon purchased of Eleazer Ferguson, plus one quarter of the interest he had in a saw mill at Salmon Falls, with privileges. To daughter Olive Wallingford, 28 acres in the Great Farm, plus 50 acres in Berwick Commons (Lot 12, 4th Range). Also 37 acres purchased of John and William Leighton in Berwick, and one quarter of her father's share in a saw mill at Salmon Falls in Berwick, with privileges. Also 2 1/2 acres by Stagpole's Grant. Additional lands were divided, with a double share to the eldest son and a single share to each of the other children.
On 8 December 1779 a division of still undivided lands was made by John Plummer, Ebenezer Smith, Simeon Dearborn, Joseph Roberts and Bradbury Richardson.(479) At the beginning is the statement "We have by special Order of the Heirs of said deceased Set of[f] to Moses Dow of a place called New Durham Gore [now Alton, N.H.] in Said County Fifty Acres of Land where he now dwells..." See the record for Thomas's daughter Judith for more information on this Moses Dow. Included with the division was a drawn map showing the lots assigned to each of the heirs in an area of New Durham Gore, now Alton, N.H., on the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee to the northeast of the entrance to Alton Bay. To the eldest son Thomas Jr., his two full shares or 2/13 parts, including one lot of land in Ossipee Gore so called being lot #14 containing 400 acres. Also a first division lot in Meredith with the Commons lot drawn to his father. Also one whole right of land in Middleton being one of the 15 rights that Grantees of Middleton relinquished to the Grantors as a consideration for prolonging the time for fulfilling the charter. Also 30 acres in the 2nd division lot in Sanbornton, and half of lot number 12 in Ossipee Gore containing about 200 acres. To daughter Hannah Brown, 1/13 part of 10 acres in the first division in Sanbornton, plus 15 acres in the 2nd division in Sanbornton next to land given to Thomas Jr. above. Also about 222 acres in New Durham Gore being No. 3 in the attached plan. Also the other half (with brother Thomas) of lot number 12 in Ossipee Gore, containing about 200 acres. To daughter Margaret Goodwin 1/13 part of the 3d division lot in Meredith and 1st division lot in Wakefield. Also 20 acres of 2nd division lot in Sanbornton, joining 15 acres already given to Hannah Brown above. Also 160 acres in New Durham Gore being number 9 in the attached plan. To daughter Rachel Nowell 1/13 part of a lot of land in Ossipee Gore being lot number 26, also 216 acres in New Durham Gore, being number 7 on the attached plan. To daughter Mary Pearne, 1/13 part of the first division lot in Moultonborough, plus commonland, also 239 acres in New Durham Gore, being number 8 in the attached plan. To John Wentworth Esq. (husband of deceased daughter Elizabeth) 1/13 part of a lot of land in New Hampton, being part of Thomas Wallingford's right in the town of Moultonborough, plus common land. Also 225 acres in New Durham Gore, being number 5 in the attached plan. To the heirs of Abigail Saunders 1/13 part of the whole right of her father's land in Wolfeborough, also 15 acres in the 2nd division lot in Sanbornton next to her sister Margaret Goodwin's 20 acres, also all but 37 acres of a first division lot in Sanbornton (the other 37 having gone to other heirs). To daughter Olive Cushing, 1/13 part of the 2nd division lot in Meredith and a first division lot in Effingham. Also 108 acres in the 2nd division in Sanbornton, much of which is split amongst other heirs. To daughter Lydia Costelow, 1/13 part of the 2nd division lot in Moultonborough and first division lot in Middleton. Also 10 acres in the first division in Sanbornton, joining 10 acres set off to her sister Hannah Brown, also 15 acres in the 2nd division in Sanbornton joining to 15 acres set off to heirs of Abigail Saunders. Also 360 acres in New Durham Gore, being lot number 1 in the attached plan. To the heirs of son Samuel Wallingford, 1/13 of a 2nd division lot in Middleton, and a 2nd division lot in Wakefield. Also 213 acres in New Durham Gore, being lot number 6 in the attached plan. To son Ebenezer, 1/13 part of a 2nd division lot in Effingham, 10 acres in a first division lot in Sanbornton joining 10 acres set off to Lydia Costellow, and 250 acres in New Durham Gore, being number 4 in the attached plan. To the heirs of son Mark Wallingford, 1/13 of all of the deceased's rights in New Durham, and 276 acres in New Durham Gore, being lot number 2 in the attached plan. Also 7 acres in the first division in Sanbornton joining 10 acres set off to his brother Ebenezer.
In her will dated 21 October 1800 the widow Elizabeth gave land in Berwick to many of her Prime family grandchildren. To her grandson George Washington Wallingford, son of Samuel, she gave 1 looking glass, her mahogany desk, and £200 lawful money to be paid him one year after her decease, but if he should die without leaving issue in her lifetime, then the whole of his legacy would go to the descendants of her daughter Olive Cushing. (George had his first child in 1807, so this didn't happen.) To her daugher Olive Cushing she left her wearing apparel and her household furniture, excepting the looking glass and desk aforesaid. To Olive's living descendants went all the rest of her real and personal estate including the whole of the legacy above given to her grandson George Washington Wallingford if he had no children before her death. She left all the decisions regarding the trusteeship and distribution of this estate to her daughter Olive and her husband John. She further stated that if any of their children or grandchildren were to dispute their parents or grandparents decisions, their share would go entirely to Olive. Her son-in-law John Cushing was made the sole executor, and the will was probated 5 June 1811.(480)
After Elizabeth's death her grandson Charles Cushing, son of their daughter Olive, eventually became owner of the 50 acre homestead farm in Somersworth. See his record for more information.
Four of the children of Thomas and his first wife Margaret were recorded in the Dover records: Hannah, Judith, Ebenezer, and Abigail, but since Thomas Jr. was later (in his father's probate records) called the eldest son, he must have been born before these other four. And since the daughter Margaret, who married a Goodwin, had her first child in 1741, she, too, must have been born before the other children. In these records Thomas is listed as the first born, but it could just as easily have been Margaret(481).
Col. Thomas Wallingford and Margaret Clements had the following children:
+ 92 i. Capt. Thomas4 Wallingford was born about 1716 to 1718.
+ 93 ii. Margaret Wallingford was born about 1716 to 1718.
+ 94 iii. Hannah Wallingford was born 5 May 1720.
95 iv. Judith Wallingford was born in Dover, New Hampshire 25 March 1721/2.(482) Judith died before September 1772. (She was not mentioned in any of the divisions of her father's estate, the first of which was on 10 September 1772.)(483) Judith probably died young. The Clements Genealogy speculates that she may possibly have married Moses Dow of New Durham, who received a small piece of land in the division of the estate of Judith's father Thomas Wallingford.(484) In the division of her father's estate made on 8 December 1779 is included the statement "We have by special Order of the Heirs of said deceased Set of[f] to Moses Dow of a place called New Durham Gore [now Alton, N.H.] in Said County Fifty Acres of Land where he now dwells..."(485) The thinking is that Dow received a small portion of the estate even though his Judith was deceased and they were childless. But there is a simpler explanation. In 1778 Moses Dow of New Durham was contracted by Thomas Wallingford's agents to lumber his land and float the logs down the lake to Rogers' Landing and saw mill at Alton Bay. Dow also agreed to spend a specified number of days maintaining the road from New Durham to Moultonborough that passed through the land that Wallingford owned along the lake shore in East Alton. For doing this he received 50 acres of land and the right to cut and sell timber for his own profit. He chose 50 acres on Piper's Point, and it was this land that was formally given to him by Thomas Wallingford's estate. Dow lived on the land with his brother in law Stephen Fall until 1793 when he sold the farm to Fall and left Alton forever.(486)
+ 96 v. Ebenezer Wallingford was born 21 July 1724.
+ 97 vi. Abigail Wallingford was born 30 September 1726.
Col. Thomas Wallingford and Mary Pray had the following children:
+ 98 vii. Rachel Wallingford was born after 1730.
99 viii. Mark Wallingford was born in Somersworth or Dover, New Hampshire after 1730.(487) Mark died 5 July 1773, probably in Somersworth, New Hampshire, at 42 years of age. From Master Tate's Record: "Mr. Mark Wallingford of Somersworth Dyd on Monday Night about 1/2 after 10 July 5th. & Buried on Wednesday July 7th. 1773."(488) In his brother Thomas Wallingford's account of the administration of his estate he mentions expenses for "My time trouble and expense in attending him in his sickness", so apparently Mark's death wasn't a sudden one.(489) He married Abigail Sanders.(490) Mark received property from the estate of his father in the three divisions of the estate made on 10 September 1772, 10 October 1772 (Maine lands), and 8 December 1779. In the first division he received about 56 acres in Somersworth that were then in his possession.(491) In Maine he got about 20 acres in Berwick from the Great Farm and 100 acres in Berwick purchased of Thomas Cutt called Lot 35, 3rd Check, Kittery Commons in Berwick, and 29 1/4 acres in Berwick purchased of Stephen Eastwick and of John and Nicholas Shapleigh. Also the right his father had in Narragansett No. 1, now called Buxton, Maine.(492) In 1779, after Mark was deceased, his heirs received 1/13 of all of the deceased's rights in New Durham, and 276 acres in New Durham Gore, being lot number 2 in a drawn lot plan attached to the record of the division. Also 7 acres in the first division in Sanbornton joining 10 acres set off to Mark's brother Ebenezer.(493)
Mark's probate papers in Strafford County state that he was deceased "testate", but no will is included here. It may have first been probated in Rockingham County, however, so those records should also be checked. The estate was appraised by Moses Carr and Benjamin Warren on 28 November 1774 to the value of more than 22 pounds. His brother Thomas Wallingford, Jr. and brother-in-law John Wentworth, Esq., were originally appointed administrators of the estate, but John Wentworth died during the process and Thomas was appointed sole administrator.(494)
Given that the 1779 division mentioned his heirs, it could be that he had children who are presently unaccounted for. Following the ownership of his land described above may provide answers to that question.
+ 100 ix. Mary Wallingford was born about 1733.
+ 101 x. Elizabeth Wallingford was born about 1736.
+ 102 xi. Lydia Wallingford was born 25 April 1742.
Col. Thomas Wallingford and Elizabeth Swett had the following children:
+ 103 xii. Samuel Wallingford was born 4 February 1755.
+ 104 xiii. Olive Wallingford was born 29 May 1758.
Return to Table of Contents or Index
Go to Next Page
Go to Previous Page