The Islands: Howe Island: Howe Island Church

Howe Island Church

Warning! Photos on this page!! May take a while to load!!





St. Philomenas Church

aka St. John the Evangelist


St. Philomena's is the only church now standing on the island.
It is a Roman Catholic Church.
It is located Lot 15, South Range.

The First RC church was built in 1846
out of logs. Howe Island was a mission
of Gananoque and Reverend John R. O'Dowde
was the first pastor.

In the early days it is said that mass was held
only once a month due to the scarcity of priests
and the distance they had to travel.
In 1889 Father O'Gorman was appointed Pastor
of the missions of Landsdowne and Howe Island.
Mass was then held every two weeks.
Mr. Gillespie and later his 2 sons, John and Arthur,
ferried the priest over during months when this
was possible. The Father drove his own horse and buggy.
In winter the Father crossed the ice on foot and was met
by Peter LaChance or his father, Adolphus and was then
driven to church. When the Father drove his own horse
Angus McDonald would take the heated horse to his stable
and care for it until it was time for the Father to
return to Gananoque.
(From St.Philomena's Church Cenentary booklet)



An older photo of St. Philomenas. Note fence.
Thanks to Wilf Garrah for this photo!


St. Philomena's was built in 1858. Before this a small church
had served, it was built in 1846. St. Philomena's was built on
land donated by Joseph Gagneau who wished it to be named after
his daughter Philomena, and it was.

From 1871 Census:
Catholic Church Page 20, Line 16 - 4 acres Property of Joseph Gonneau

Sailors on the St. Lawrence named her the "Star of the Sea".

She was renamed St. John the Evangelist in 1963 in accordance
with the the revision of the qualifications of canonization issued
by the Congregation of Rites.




An older photo of St. Philomenas. Note steeple and windows.
Thanks to Gerry Ross for this photo!


The church was completly finished during the pastorate of Father
John O'Gorman- 1889-1906. Father O'Gorman was buried in St.
Philomena's cemetery (See Cemetery Online page).

During the pastorate of Rev. A.J. Hanley a new sacrisity was
built and the remains of Father O'Gorman were placed in a tomb
beneath the altar on which a plaque was affixed. (See Plaques page)


Taken Aug 2000


In 1932 Archbishop M.J. O'Brien declared Howe Island to be a
parish with the Rev. J.W. Callahan as pastor. Father Callahan
built the present rectory. He was transfered in 1940 and
succeeded by Rev. W.L. Terrion 1940-1947.



Taken Aug 2000


Before the 1940's there was supposedly a
a stable near the church for parishoners to
leave their horses while they attended Mass.
Thanks Wilf!





PRIESTS

Clergymen of St. Philomena's 1846-1932

Clergymen of St. Philomena's 1932-present

Howe Islanders who joined the clergy.

Howe Island Women in Religious Orders





Note: Important day in Island history was the 100th anniversary
of St.Philomena's in 1958.
On that day particular attention was paid to Margaret LaChance
who had acted as sacristan and organist for more than 60 years.
(See Howe Island articles page)





Church Links

St. Philomena's Church Plaques
St. Philomena's Church General/Cemetery
Cemetery Online
Howe Island Articles page 2
Contains articles on Howe Island organist Margaret LaChance.
Clergymen of St. Philomena's 1846-1932
Clergymen of St. Philomena's 1932-present
Howe Islanders who joined the clergy.
Howe Island Women in Religious Orders


Offsite:
RC Archdiocese of Kingston
1848-1868 St. Johns Church Gananoque Parish Register
NEW! now online 1868-1898 St. Johns Church Gananoque Parish Register
St. Johns was a church many Howe Islanders used before
St. Philomena's was built, also as a mission of this church
until 1932 its records were kept with it.






The Islands: Howe Island: Howe Island Church

Copyright () 2000-2002 Jennifer Hoeltzel. All rights reserved.
Send comments or suggestions regarding this site to the webmaster:

Jen Hoeltzel