The Islands: Churches: Howe Island Clergymen 1932-present

Clergymen of St. Philomena’s
Howe Island 1932-present

Church Priests 1846-1932

Click here to see Howe Islanders who joined the clergy.

Scroll down for more information and photos on some of the priests.

St. Philomena’s as a mission of Gananoque

John R. O'Dowde 1846
Alexander Macdonell 1846-1847
John V. Foley 1848-1851
James B.(H.?R.?) Rossiter 1851-1862
Patrick Dollard V.G.(temporary) 1862
Alexander Macdonell(above) 1862-1863
Patrick Walsh 1863-1865
Michael O'Connor 1865-1869
J.J.Howard 1869
C.H.Gauthier 1869-1874
D.J.Casey 1874-1879
Thomas Kelly 1879-1883
William A. MacDonnell 1883-1886
John Hogan 1886-1889
John O’Gorman 1889-1906
John P. Kehoe 1906-1923
Archibald J. Hanley 1923-1931
Louis E. Staly 1931-1932

1932 St. Philomena's established as a parish by Archbishop M.J. O'Brien

John W. Callahan 1932-1940
Wilfred Laurier Terrion 1940-1947
J.J. Collins 1947-1948
Walter Whelan 1948-1948
E.J. Way 1949-1951
Tom J. Larkin 1951-1954
W.A. Dwyre 1954-1958
J.P. Ainslie 1958-1960
A.C. Hendrikx 1960-1966

Due to shortage of priests was reverted back to status of a mission of Gananoque in 1966.

John W. Callahan 1966-1975
Bernard O'Neil 1975-?
R.J. Flurey present

My apologizes for the state of some of the small photos. They are from newspapers and when shrunk do not always come out well. Click on the photo to see a clearer version.

John.W. Callahan 1932-1940
Native of Read, Ontario.
Ordained June 14th 1924.
He was transferred in 1940 to Stanleyville.
He built the present rectory and fostered the amalgamation of the three separate schools.
Served Gananoques St. Johns from 1964 to 1975. Served Howe Island again when it became a mission of Gananoque in 1966. Retired in 1975.
Died Dec 26 1977.

(click on photo for larger, clearer version.)
Wilfred Laurier Terrion 1940-1947
Obit: “Kingston—Rev. Wilfred Laurier Terrion, pastor of Holy Cross Parish, Kemptville, died in Hotel Dieu Hospital early Monday morning. In poor health for the past year, Father Terrion carried on his parish duties until hospitalized several weeks ago.
Father Terrion was well known in the diocese, having served as curate or pastor in almost every section since his ordination in 1926.
Born in Marmora, April 7, 1900, the son of the late John Terrion and Ellen Gallagher, he attended local elementary schools, St. Peter’s High School, Peterborough and St. Alexander’s College, Ironsides, Que., from which he graduated in 1922. That same year he entered the Grand Seminary, Montreal, to complete his studies for the priesthood.
He was ordained in St. James Cathedral, Montreal, May 29 1926. Ordained at the same time were Rev. W.H. Carty and Rev. A.L. O’Donnell, both of whom predeceased Father Terrion.
As a young priest Father Terrion was assistant at St. Mary’s Cathedral, and in the parishes of Brockville, Smiths Falls, Lavant, Cardinal, Picton, Read and Portsmouth.
In 1937 he was named pastor of Sacred Heart Parish, Bedord. In 1940 he became pastor of Howe Island and after seven year was moved to Stanleyville parish. In 1952 Father Terrion went to Morrisburg as pastor and in October 1960 succeeded the later Father Quinn as pastor of Kemptville parish.
As pastor of Morrisburg Father Terrion was responsible for the building of a two room school in Iroquois, the mission of Morrisburg; and in Kemptville he completed the school project started there which gave the first Catholic school to that parish.
Amongst his fellow priests, Father Terrion was respected and beloved for his sincerity, direct approach to every problem, and a quick sense of humor. His parishioners soon saw that behind an answer that was direct and sometimes blunt there was only one concern, the good of souls.
He is survived by a sister, Mrs. Mae Thompson, Madoc, two brothers, John of Marmora and Daniel of Cleveland, Ohio.
As the register goes to press on Tuesday morning, the funeral Mass has been announced for Thursday, March 21 in Holy Cross Parish, Kemptville at 10:30 a.m. Msgr. A.J. Welsh will be the assistant priest. Very Rev. J.J. Fogarty and Very Rev. J.J. Shannon are the honorary deacons with Rev. T.J. Larkin and Rev. D.W. MacDonald deacon and subdeacon.
Very Rev. J.A. Carley is the speaker at the Mass and burial follows in the parish cemetery, Kemptville.”

(click on photo for larger, clearer version.)
"Father Terrion Sept 30th 1945. To his right is my Aunt Mabel Murchie (ne Garrah) and Frances Anne (Fanny) Leavis. Aunt Mabel looks to be holding her daughter which would have been Margaret."Thanks to Wilf Garrah for photo and caption.

(photo on right Father Collins in 1948 Coutesty of Theresa Meaghar Abeles Donnelly)
(click on photos for larger, clearer versions.)
J.J. Collins 1947-1948
Article: “Rev. J.J. Collins, pastor of Lansdowne parish and the mission of Rockport in 1948, succeeds Rev. S. Lesage as pastor of St. Mary’s parish, Chesterville, who has resigned because of ill health. Father Collins, a well known priest of the diocese is a native of Tweed. He was ordained in his home parish of St. Carthagh’s, Tweed, on May 26, 1934, following his seminary studies at St. Augustine’s, Toronto. He served as curate for a few months in St. Mary’s Cathedral parish, Kingston, and in St. Michaels’s parish Belleville, for eight years. In 1942 he was appointed pastor of Flinton but a few months later was commissioned a chaplain in the army. He served until October 1946 as army chaplain and was then appointed administrator at Erinsville for several months until made pastor of St. Philomena’s parish, Howe Island, in June 1947. In September 1948 Father Collins became pastor of Lansdowne parish and has served both Lansdown and Rockport since that time.”

(click on photo for larger, clearer version.)
Walter Whelan 1948-1948
Remembrance card: “In Loving Remembrance Born Oct 9 1892. Ordained Dec 20 1919 Died Dec 29 1948 O God who didst call They servant Walker to the ranks of the Apostolic Priesthood, grant, we beseech Thee that he may be united to…..”

Obituary: “Deaths and Funerals
Rev. Walter E. Whelan, 56 parish priest of St. Philomena’s Church, Howe Island, died suddenly from a heart attack, Wednesday.
Born in Westport, the son of the late Mr. And Mrs. John Whelan, he was a graduate of St. Michael’s College, Toronto, and of the Grand Seminary, Montreal.
Father Whelan became parish priest at Howe Island last September, having come there from the Brockville diocese. While in Brockville he spent some time as a patient in the St. Vincent de Paul Hospital where he also acted as hospital chaplain.
Surviving are six sisters, Sister Mary Martina of St. Vincent de Paul Hospital, Brockville; Sister Mary Leyola, House of Providence Kingston; Mrs. G. Lynch, Detroit; Mrs. Victor Rice, Toronto; Mrs. Thomas Ryan, Peterborough and Mrs. A.P. Donnelly, Los Angeles. Sister Mary John the Baptiste of the House of Providence, Kingston is an aunt of the deceased.
Funeral will take place from the Church of St. Francis Xavier, Brockville, Monday morning.”

Father Whelan passed away in the church rectory.

(click on photo for larger, clearer version.)
E.J. Way 1949-1951
Article: “Rev. E.J. Way. Kingston, Oct 22—His Grace Archbishop J.A. O’Sullivan has announces the appointment of Rev. E.J. Way D.S.L., pastor of Howe Island for the past two year, as pastor of the Church of the Good Thief, Portsmouth, and chaplain of Kingston Penitentiary. He succeeds the late Rev. M.J. Brady, who died Aug. 19.
A graduate of Loyola College, Montreal, and St. Augustine’s Seminary, Toronto, Father Way was stationed at the Cathedral and Brockville as assistant from the time of his ordination in 1936 until 1941, when he entered the chaplain service and was stationed for the remainder of the war at the Officers’ Training Centre in Brockville. In 1945 he went overseas for a year with the army of occupation in Germany.
On retirement from the armed services in 1946, he went to Ottawa University for graduate study in Canon Law, obtaining the doctorate in 1949. He was then appointed pastor of Howe Island.”

From Wilf Garrah “Rev. Way was instrumental in having the school properties turned over to the School Board for a $1.00. and then had official deeds and ownership’s transferred. In the agreement should the school discontinue functioning the properties would be turned back to the original owners and that is what happened. In later years I was told that my Dad found me to be a little unruly in the church pews and sought Rev. Ways advice to overcome this concern. Rev. Way suggested that if I were on the altar with my two brothers he would keep me in line. He certainly did as I was fearful of him, but later he and I really got along well. Rev. Way really had a sense of community, organizing social functions and enjoyed visiting homes and playing card games. He always had in mind better education for the children in the community. My first visit to the dentist was with Rev Way in Napanee. He took me to his dentist, as the family didn't have one at the time. In later years Rev E. J. Way was Prison Chaplain, but unfortunately this added many stressful times to his fine life as a Priest.”

(click on photos for larger, clearer versions.)
Tom J. Larkin 1951-1954
Article: “Rev. T.J. Larkin ….He will be succeeded on Howe Island by Rev. T.J. Larkin, assistant at St. Francis Xavier’ Church, Brockville. A native of Read, Father Larkin was ordained in 1947, and was stationed at the Cathedral for a few months before going to Brockville.”

Obit: “Title: Everyone Around Lost Good Friend. By Rev. T.J.Raby. I lost a good friend last week. So did every priest in the diocese. Father Tom Larkin, pastor of Merrickville, died suddenly while driving his car. He was travelling with two fellow priests, Father John Buckley, pastor of St. Joseph’s, Belleville and Father Pat Kelly, administrator of Madoc parish.
Father Tom died on one of his typical errands of kindness for a fellow priest. Along with his companions he was on his way to Peterborough to visit Father Frank O’Neill, pastor of Madoc, who is ill in St. Joseph’s Hospital.
We’ll never know the number of people from all walks of life who shed tears when they heard the news of Father Tom’s death; his immediate family, sure; but Father Larkin’s family didn’t stop with his brother and four sisters. His family was everyone in every parish in which he worked.
Father Larkin came from Read, that small country parish which has given more than a dozen priests to the diocese in our own time. He was ordained in 1947. Two other young men from Read were ordained with him. One of them was Father Frank O’Neill, the sick priest he was going to visit.
In the seminary in my time statistics said that the average life of a priest was 17 years. Father Tom just made the average.
It was really about the only priestly quality in which he was average. He was away above for priestliness. He was the good shepherd. The erring and wanderer caught his attention and where his priestly work took him. He would hand on to them, like the hound of heaven in Francis Thompson’s poem, pursuing relentlessly, seeking, finding and bringing back.
It’s easy to get sentimental about someone when tragedy strikes or sorrow comes suddenly, exaggerate good qualities and minimize the unpleasant.
You don’t have to do any of this remembering Father Larkin. He was genuine. He worked at being a good priest. He worked at it with his prayers and meditation. He worked at it in the regularity of his daily Mass; in the visits that made every family known with their problems, their hopes and joys and sorrows.
But for us fellow priests, Father Tom’s greatest asset was his interest in his fellow priests, in us. He not only worked at his own priesthood. He worked to make us all better priests. That’s why he started regular days of recollection for the priests of the diocese. He arranged for them, sent out the notices and looked after all the details.
He organized the last one. It was the day before he died. He was there meeting his fellow priests, enjoying their company. That’s why he organized meetings to study new liturgical changes. He knew we must be up-to-date on these or the people would suffer.
When a priest was sick or dying, Father Tom made a special point of being around. He died on his way to visit a hospitalized priest. He watched over two neighboring priests as they neared death recently. Both were pastors of nearby Kemptville.
As one of them lay dying in hospital in Kingston, Father Tom was the one on hand when he died. He stayed on into the early morning.
I think all of us around Kingston were as impressed with Father Tom’s attention to a dying priest as we were embarrassed with our seeming lack of it. He was there when the dying priest breathed his last. He came a long way to make sure. He stayed, and he must have been just as tired as the rest of us. That’s why I say all priests lost a friend in Father Larkin. He was interested in making all of us better spiritually. And he started the only way another priest will recognize as sincere, without hope of praise or promotion.
He started with himself.
Go in peace, Father Larkin.”

From Wilf Garrah: “Father Larkin was the driving force in the initiate of establishing the junior high school 8, 9, 10, on the island. He told the people to be patient and understanding of his purchase of a new school bus. (black hearse). It wasn't going to leave the island, therefore, who would know of our bus unless we told them. It certainly served the purpose and I'm sure the students had many laughs. My oldest brother rode on the bus and I couldn't wait my turn, however, it was replaced with the cattle truck so I never did get a ride in it. It was a little odd to see people sitting upright in the back of the hearse but it's probably a good feeling knowing you can get in and out of it on your own.

Father Larkin was a great community minded individual and left us all with very fond memories. In later years Father Larkin was killed in a horrific car accident while they were going to visit another priest that was in hospital.”

Succeeded in establishing a continuation school on the island. It was he who had SS3 repaired, repainted and refurbished. To save expenses he had the old hearse converted into a school bus. Later he had a cattle truck converted into a school bus.

(click on photo for larger, clearer version.)
W.A. Dwyre 1954-1958
Article: Rev. William A. Dwyre, now pastor of Howe Island, succeeds Father Collins in Lansdowne. Father Dwyre has been pastor of Howe Island since 1953. Prior to that he was assistant at Brockville and St. Mary’s Cathedral. Ordained April 24, 1949, Father Dwyre comes from Elgin and studied for the priesthood at St. Augustine’s seminary.
Father Dwyre acted as financial secretary of the Marion Year campaign, combining these duties which extended over the length of the campaign subscription period with his duties as pastor of Howe Island.”

From Wilf Garrah “Father Dwyre was another great priest and community builder. We always enjoyed it when he would come out and play hockey with our parents and friends on Sunday afternoon. He was a terrific hockey player and a very good sportsman. He loved to fish and hunt and was very recreational. His brother Frank had a cottage on the island as well. His niece Mary is my Brothers Mike's wife and they have a permanent residence on the island.”

(click on photo for larger, clearer version.)
J.P. Ainslie 1958-1960
Article: “Rev. Joseph P. Ainslie who has been in charge of St. Mary’s parish, Chesterville, since illness forced Father Lesage to leave the parish, receives his first pastorate in succeeding Father Dwyre on Howe Island. Father Ainslie, a son of St. Mary’s Cathedral parish, Kingston, served on the mission of the Scarboro Foreign Mission Society for several years on their mission in Santo Domingo before being appointed national director of the Holy Childhood Association with headquarters in Vancouver. In 1952 Fatehr Ainslie returned to the diocese and served as curate of St. John’s parish for almost four years. Last September he was appointed to Chesterville to take charge during the absence of Father Lesage.”

From Wilf Garrah: “Rev. Ainslie was a certainly a remarkable pastor and we as altar boys appreciated his many stores and kindness. He took pride in telling us his many good stories in Santo Domingo especially the one about starting a baseball team. Some of the players eventually graduated to the big leagues and played ball professionally. One summer he recruited Pat Norris the school bus driver (new yellow bus) and took about 15 of us fellows on a camping trip from Cornwall, Ottawa, Algonquin Park and home. He also took along a couple of boy scouts to help out with tents, canoeing etc. For many of us it was the first time away from home and OH what a wonderful vacation we did have. Sometimes he would come down to St Pats school on a Friday afternoon and we would go up with him to cut the grass, rake, trim grass, weed flowerbeds. Rev. Ainslie just did a remarkable job organizing and planning the 1858-1958, 100th anniversary of the Church. Father Ainslie was an excellent speaker. He had the where withal to make everything come alive when he spoke of interesting times in his life and especially in Santo Domingo. His enjoyment in Santo Domingo came to an end when he had to leave on account of the political turmoil and for his own safety.”

(click on photo for larger, clearer version.)
A.C. Hendrikx 1960-1966
Article: “KINGSTON—Father A.C. Hendrikx, pastor of Howe Island for the past five year was named by Archbishop J.A. O’Sullivan to become pastor of St. Barnaby’s parish Brewer’s Mills as of Feb. 15
Howe Island parishioners will be cared for from Gananoque for the balance of the winter it was also announced Jan. 27.
Brewer’s Mills parish has been without a pastor since the death of Father E.A. Byrne Jan. 7. Father Byrne had bee pastor of St. Barnaby’s for 28 years.
Father Hendrikx was born in 1914 at Alphen and Riel in the Netherland. He studied at the Gymnasium Augustinianum at Eindhoven and the Grand Seminary “Bovendonk” in the Diocese of Breda from which he was ordained in 1940.
He was administrator at Galder and Strybeek missions in Breda diocese until the time he became a political prisoner in 1942. He was a prisoner until 1945.
In 1945 he was named chaplain with the forces of the Military government and in December of the same year became chaplain with the Department of Justice for Political Prisoners’ Camps in the diocese of Breda and Haarlem Province Zeeland.
He became chaplain with the Marine Corps in the same province in 1946 and was assistant at St. Lambertus parish in Wouw until he came to the Archdiocese of Kingston in 1952.
On arrival at St. Mary’s Cathedral Father Hendrikx became Diocesan Director of Immigration and was given the pastoral care of Dutch immigrants. He was also an assistant at the Cathedral parish. Until his appointment to Howe Island and after, he worked extensively with national immigration organizations.”

With help from parishioners erected the present parish hall.

John W. Callahan 1966-1975
See above.

Bernard O'Neil 1975-?
Ordained Apr 12 1959.
Was the 21st pastor of Gananoques St. Johns in 129 years.

R. J. Flurey present

(click on photo for larger, clearer version.)
Pastors, Past and Present
Aug 9 1958

“Present and former resident pastors of St. Philomena’s parish stand beside Archbishop O’Sullivan during the Centennial celebrations Sunday. Left to right, Rev. J.W. Callahan, first resident pastor, Rev. T.J. Larkin, Rev. J.P. Ainslie, Archbisop O’Sullivan, Rev. W.A. Dwyre, Rev. J.J. Collins.”


-Various newspaper articles, obits,
-Wilf Garrah (Big big thank yous to Wilf for all of his help and contributions. I couldn't have made this page without him!)
-Built on a Rock: The Story of the Roman Catholic Church in Kingston 1826-1976 by Louis J. Flynn
-St.Philomena’s Church Centenary 1858-1958 booklet
-Father Appelman (email to Wilf Garrah)
-Eileen Truesdell
-The Christian Community of St. John the Evangelist by Sister Mary Faustina (Elizabeth Mattimoe)
-Theresa Meaghar Abeles Donnelly

The Islands : Churches: Howe Island Clergymen 1932-present
Copyright (©) 1999-2002 Jennifer Hoeltzel. All rights reserved.
Send comments or suggestions regarding this site to the webmaster:

Jen Hoeltzel