Part Two

Please note these are not in any sort of chronological order

The original Halifax Guardian papers are held in the Special Collections Department of Leeds University and were transcribed by John Alan Longbottom to whom we are very grateful


The Preston Guardian Saturday, April 5, 1845


On Tuesday afternoon last, JAMES GREENWOOD, about 30 years of age, who had been drinking several days, was found in a field at Waterloo, Todmorden, with his throat cut almost from ear to ear. He was near his own home, and had a razor in his hand when found dead.

The Leeds Mercury  Friday, July 15, 1864


On Wednesday afternoon, an inquest was held at the Queen Inn, Clough, before Mr. Dearden, coroner, on the body of JAMES PEARSON, aged four years and eleven months. On Saturday, deceased was playing with two other boys in the hay loft of JOHN FEBER, at Gorpley Barn, Dulesgate, when he fell from an elevation of 5 yards upon the barn floor. He was so much injured that he expired on Sunday forenoon. Verdict “Accidentally Killed”.

Liverpool Mercury, Friday, July 9, 1847;


About 12 o’clock on Saturday night last, as a person named ABSOLOM TAYLOR aged 63 years, resident in Dulesgate, the colliery district of Todmorden, was returning home from a money club of which he is a member, and which is held at the Blue Ball Inn, Banks, when he arrived at the somewhat solitary place situate between Cloughfoot and Mellings Clough in Dulesgate, a man rushed from a wood on one side of the road and commenced a desperate attack upon him, first knocking him down, and then kicking him most barbarously about the head and ribs. After robbing him of upwards of £2, the ruffian recommenced his attack, but was scared by the approach of another person and fled. The poor old man was found to have several ribs and his jawbone broken, and is now lying in a most precarious state.

The Leeds Mercury, Saturday, August 25, 1849;


On Wednesday last, a boy named SAMUEL WOODCOCK, son of THOMAS WOODCOCK, smith , Canteen, was running backward round the place made to receive the gas holder of Robinwood mill, when he fell in, a depth of 26 feet, and both his ankles were broken. Dr. Hardman was immediately sent for. He with promptitude attended to the case and we are happy to say the boy is going on very favourably.

The Leeds Mercury, Saturday, April 21, 1860;


SAMUEL HOLLINRAKE, labourer residing at Law Hey, Walsden, arose from his bed at 3 o’clock on Thursday morning. He had been in a low dejected state for a week or more. His son, being awoke, asked him where he was going, and he replied: “I will be back in a minute – it will only be a minute’s job.” The dog accompanied him, and strange to relate, neither of them has been heard of up to this date. The man was without shoes or clogs.

Liverpool Mercury, Tuesday, January 19, 1864;

Case of cruelty at Todmorden

The Todmorden Advertiser of Saturday contains the following particulars of this case: At the magistrates office yesterday, SAMUEL HOLLINRAKE, Law Hey, was brought before Mr. Ormerod by Mr. Heap, who stated that through information received he had visited Hollinrake’s house. His wife came to the door and he asked to see Hollinrake but was refused, his wife stating that one of their sons would be home immediately, when perhaps he would be allowed to see her husband.

Going upstairs, he found Hollinrake in a wing of the building, chained to the wall, handcuffed, and seated on an iron bedstead; the room was without fire with a stone floor. He inquired how long he had been there; one of the family said 3 weeks. This was contradicted by Hollinrake who said it was much longer - he had not been to a place of convenience for 3 weeks.

Hollinrake said he was fastened by a chain through a hole in the wall. The handcuffs were put on by his son Charles. He believed he had been confined 5 weeks, and had only been loosed once to wash himself. The handcuffs were put on his hands a second time by his son Samuel. He made no resistence but let them do as they pleased; during his confinement he had enough to eat and drink, but had become weak through cold and sudden change to sedentary. He had frequently asked to be relieved but his entreaties were evaded by saying “they would loose him tomorrow”.

His wife had nothing to do with the matter; it was his sons who had ill treated him. During his confinement, his wife had not been into the room. He did not know why they had handcuffs in the house and had never seen any like them before. He could assign no reason for his confinement; he had not touched or threatened anyone, yet they said he was not fit to be loose. The only disturbance he had made was during his confinement, at the thought of the injustice of his family; and from the intense cold he struck his foot through a pint pot near the bed, for which he had been sadly knocked about. Mr. Heap said he found Hollinrake only half dressed, and to keep himself warm he had worked a large hole in the wall with a piece of iron.

Liverpool Mercury, Monday, February 8, 1864;

The case of cruelty to a father

At Todmorden Petty Sessions, SAMUEL HOLLINRAKE and CHARLES HOLLINRAKE were brought up on remand and charged with assaulting and ill-using their father at Law Hey in Walsden. The particulars of the case, as previously published, were again gone in to, showing that the man was found chained and handcuffed by Inspector Heap, sat upon an iron bed in a room without a fire and on a stone floor. The old man had taken some stones out of the wall. He said he had worked at that to keep himself warm. On being called as a witness he for some time refused to be sworn, but on being induced to take his oath, his depositions agreed with the statements made by Mr. Heap. He said he had been twice let loose since first chained up. He could only get out on one side of the bed. He had been a fortnight or more without going to a place of convenience. In reply to the charge, Charles Hollinrake pleaded guilty but said he had chained his father to save himself. His father was not always sane. Samuel Hollinrake pleaded not guilty. Charles was committed to prison for 2 months with hard labour.

Manchester Times, Saturday, June 23, 1849;


On Tuesday, an inquest was held at the Black Swan Inn, Todmorden, on the body of SAMUEL CRABTREE, who, whilst playing, several weeks ago, with a gun, was shot by its accidental discharge, the contents being lodged in his arms and side.He was able to walk to the house of a medical man in Todmorden, but was unable to return home. On Monday last he died.The coroner reprimanded the parties who delivered the gun to the youth, as they must have known that it was charged. A verdict of “Accidental death” was returned.

The Leeds Mercury, Tuesday, August 12, 1873;


Early on Saturday morning last, an old man 69 years of age, called RICHARD GREENWOOD, of Watty Hole, Todmorden, died from injuries sustained by being run over by his cart on the Tuesday previous, the horse having taken fright at a traction engine and boiler, which was being driven along the turnpike road at Knowlwood.

The engine belonged to Messrs. Galloway, of Knott Mill Ironworks, Manchester. An inquest was held on Saturday. Mr. Craven appeared on behalf of the relatives of the deceased. He applied for an adjournment, which was granted.

Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper (London, England), Sunday, August 9, 1868;


The plaintiff, ALICE MARSHALL, is a power loom weaver at Todmorden; and the defendant, JAMES FEBER, is a cotton manufacturer of Canteen, near Todmorden.

Both parties were members of a Baptist congregation.

The defendant pleaded that he did not agree to marry the plaintiff. MISS MARSHALL was thirty years of age, and the defendant 28, and each had been acquainted with the other for a great number of years. Five years ago, the plaintiff was engaged to be married to the defendant, and a large number of letters had passed between them of the most endearing nature. The following letter from the defendant to the plaintiff amongst others, was read.

“June 24th, 1862 Lineholme

My Dear Alice

I feel myself at a loss how to address you. I often think of you. O, how I love you. God only knows. May the Lord keep you in the faith of the just, so that you may receive the crown of reward which the Lord hath promised to them that serve Him faithfully. In this world, where’er I rove, where’er I rest, I often think of you. I cannot leave your image, because I believe that God is mysteriously joining us together.

May the Lord bless you with his heavenly grace. Amen.

Yours Truly, JAMES FEBER”

About November 1862, the defendant fell dangerously ill and was nursed by the plaintiff. The intimacy between the plaintiff and the defendant fell off about twelve or eighteen months ago, and three months had only elapsed since he married a MISS HORSFALL.

The father of the defendant was dead, but he was a cotton manufacturer, and had made a will which was sworn under £600, and subject to certain conditions, his estate and effects were equally divided amongst the children on the youngest attaining majority.

The defendant was now engaged at his father’s mill. A verdict was given for the plaintiff, damaged £20.

Manchester Times, Saturday, July 27, 1850;


We have to report another instance of sudden death, which occurred on Wednesday evening last. RICHARD PEARSON, labourer of the Moorcock neat Todmorden, was in his usual health during the day, and had been engaged in haymaking. A few minutes before the melancholy event he was in the shop of Mr. UTTLEY, grocer, and appeared in good spirits. On leaving his shop with the intention of going home, when he arrived opposite the shop of Mr. BARKER, hairdresser, Shade, not more than 20 yards from the former place, he fell and Mr. BARKER immediately ran to his assistance and lifted him up, but life was extinct. Dr. Sutcliffe was sent for and was on the spot in a few minutes but his services were not required as life was extinct, he being of the opinion that death most probably was caused by disease of the heart.

Manchester Times (Manchester, England), Wednesday, February 6, 1850;


On Monday morning a little after 6 o’clock, a serious accident took place at the factory of Messrs. Fielden Brothers to a young man named WILLIAM GREENWOOD of Cockpit, who was about to commence his work, and whilst in the act of putting the cotton into a lapping machine found the cotton did not go in properly, in consequence of a roller having been taken out of the machine on Saturday evening to be repaired. Not being aware of this fact, he attempted to put it in with his right hand when one of the knives belonging to the machine (which performs about 100 revolutions per minute) came in contact with his hand and nearly cut it off. Dr. Foster attended the unfortunate young man, and found on examination that his hand required to be amputated, which operation was skilfully performed by the doctor. Considering the circumstances, his patient appears to be going on favourably.


The Northern Star and Leeds General Advertiser Saturday August 11 1838


A boy between 4 and 5 years of age, son of Mr. JAMES SCHOLFIELD, joiner etc. of Todmorden, fell into the river Calder at Todmorden and was carried away by the current, and has not been heard of since. The youth had on at the time, frock and trousers, made of grey cotton and worsted mixture. He was of light complexion and had red hair. A reward of one guinea is offered to anyone finding the body.

The Leeds Mercury Thursday, August 3, 1865


Yesterday (Wednesday) and inquest before T. F. Dearden was held at the Black Swan Inn, Todmorden, touching the death of JOHN LAW of Dalton Street, Todmorden. LAW was employed by Mr. Barstow, corn miller, Hebden Bridge. While he was at his work the previous week he had occasion to place a ladder against a building to reach a hay loft. The ladder, which was about 7 yards long, was too short for the purpose, and was placed on a stone. The steam tenter assisted in placing the ladder, and then went away to his work, and did not know how far LAW has ascended the ladder when he fell. Shortly after, the steam tenter found the deceased laying on the ground face downwards. His thigh was broken, his breast much crushed, and he also sustained other injuries, which caused his death on Sunday morning last. Verdict – Accidental Death

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Friday, August 16, 1867



JAMES PRIESTLEY (43) shoe maker, was indicted for having committed perjury at Todmorden on the 25th April. Mr. Campbell Foster prosecuted. The prisoner was defended by Mr. Waddy. The alleged perjury was said to have been committed on the hearing of an application made to the Todmorden Magistrates in April last by a woman named HANNAH GREENWOOD, for an affiliation order on the prisoner as the putative father of her child. Not guilty.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Wednesday, June 30, 1869


Between nine and ten o’clock on Monday night a sad accident occurred at Hollingworth Lake near Littleborough, by which ELLEN BROOKS, York Street, and MARY ANN HOLT, of Union Street South, Todmorden, were drowned.During the day a pleasure party borrowed a horse and trap at Todmorden for the purpose of having a drive to Hollingworth. MR. WOOD, foreman tailor, Todmorden, was driving the party round the lake, and when they had got about a quarter of a mile from the Fisherman’s Inn, and near the toll gate, the driver pulled the reins to stop the horse. It backed into the lake. There were six persons in the trap. One (MISS FIELDING) jumped out and was saved, the other five were precipitated down the embankment into the lake, which is very deep at this part.Three were rescued and the two above named were drowned. The horse, which cost the owner £23 a short time ago, was also drowned. The shrieks of those who witnessed the accident were of the most intense kind.

The horse, when pulled half way up the embankment, died, and it was found that its body had been cut openThe water’s edge is at present very shallow, but the depth of the lake increases so rapidly that, at six yards from the edge, it is in that part, three yards deep. The bodies were conveyed to the Fisherman’s Inn, to await the coroner’s inquisition.


The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Friday, August 17, 1866; Issue 8844


On Wednesday afternoon an inquest was held at the White Lion Inn, Shade, on the body of WILLIAM VARLEY a carter of Swineshead Clough near Todmorden. The accident occurred on Saturday night about 11 o’clock when the deceased was returning with a pleasure party from Hollingworth Lake. When the party had got near the stables the horse became unmanageable and galloped down the road. VARLEY, who was not sober, jumped from the cart to stop the horse, but fell and was run over. His injuries were of such a nature as to cause his death on Monday. The cart, which contained about a dozen people, was upset, but none of them were seriously injured. Verdict  -Accidental Death.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Saturday, April 12, 1851; Issue 6123


About half past 12 o’clock on Tuesday last, at Dulesgate near Todmorden, a sledge laden with stone was coming down the road, situated near Mr. Thomas Helliwell’s factory, when by some means a large stone rolled off and was precipitated with great force down a number of steps which lead from the factory yard into the road, and unfortunately fell on MARTHA LORD, a girl 10 years of age, and killed her instantaneously.


On Monday morning about half past 10 o’clock, a fatal accident took place at Shade to SUSANNAH BARRETT, 24 years of age, who it appears in the absence of her friends had been seized with a fit, and was discovered by the neighbours prostrate on the fire, her clothes blazing, and her person shockingly disfigured. She lived in the greatest agony till 2 o’clock on Tuesday morning, when death terminated her sufferings. The deceased had been subject to fits for several years.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Saturday, August 7, 1824; Issue 3083.

We hear with great satisfaction that it is in contemplation to allow the mail which runs from the eastern to the western sea, through the heart of the counties of York and Lancaster, to pass in future along the vale of Todmorden.

The new road from Rochdale by Littleborough, to Todmorden, which was opened on the 28th ult. With great éclat, has formed this line of communication, which is much more easy, and can be performed in as little time as over Blackstonedge.

The vale of Todmorden has long been celebrated for its beautiful and picturesque scenery; the alpine mountains, clothed with luxuriant hanging woods, washed at their base by the waters of the river Calder and the Rochdale Canal, render this one of the most delightful valleys in the kingdom, and of late years the population, manufacturers and trade of the district, have constituted it an important connecting link between the two principal northern counties of England.

The new road will increase these advantages, and the persons by whose enterprise it has been conducted to its completion, deservedly rank amongst our public benefactors.

Manchester Times (Manchester, England), Wednesday, May 8, 1850; Issue 158


At the Magistrates Office on Friday last, SAMUEL UTTLEY of Langfield was brought before John Crossley Esq. charged with assaulting Mr. JOHN SUTCLIFFE of Sutcliffe’s buildings, and also damaging his clothes. The prisoner acknowledged his guilt and promised not to offend in like manner in future. He was fined only 1s and costs, which were immediately paid.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Wednesday, May 19, 1869; Issue 9704


Yesterday the inhabitants of this place kept holiday; all the mills ceased work and with few exceptions the shops and other places of business were closed.

The managers of the Sunday Schools gave the scholars their annual treat. Most of them took advantage of the facilities offered by the railway company and got up excursions to different places.

Bridge End (United Methodist Free Church) numbering 524 went to Waterloo; The Unitarians (729) and the Primitive Methodists, including Patmos, went to Liverpool; Todmorden and Walsden churches (884) went to Blackpool; and Cross Stone and Cornholme (465) went to the same place.

The arrangements at the station were good, and the trains were dispatched with great punctuality.

York Street Wesleyans (400), failing to make arrangements with the railway authorities, chartered ten carts and nine wagons, by which they went to Mereclough.

During the forepart of the day there were some prospects of fine weather, but as the day wore on the sky began to be cloudy, and gradually grew worse. Between one and two it was densely dark, and the lamps had to be used on the railway for signalling the trains. Shortly afterwards a thunderstorm broke over the neighbourhood. There was a regular downpour of rain accompanied with thunder, lightning and hail.

Manchester Times (Manchester, England), Wednesday, September 12, 1849; Issue 90

About two o’clock on Tuesday morning, PAUL GREENWOOD, landlord of the Rose and Crown, Castleclough, was awoke by hearing his front door unbolted. He jumped out of his bed and opened his bedroom window, when he saw a man leave the door, who took to his heels as fast as he could.

The landlord called out “Thieves!” at the top of his voice, and at the same time jumped out of the chamber window, and followed the man in his shirt, up to the side of the railway, but there lost site of him. He then returned to his house, and found that the thief or thieves had had carried off two rounds of beef, a cow’s tongue, and a box of cigars, value, £1-17-6, which he had received a day or two before. A quantity of butter was also missing. An attempt had been made to wrench open one of the chamber doors, in which were a number of club boxes. Small quantities of boiled meat, a number of cigars, and a shoe, were found in the road on which the landlord had pursued the man, but no other traces have yet been found to lead to his detection

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Saturday, January 21, 1860; Issue 7059


On Wednesday morning about half past 5 o’clock, as WILLIAM DAWSON, joiner at Messrs. INGHAM AND SONS, manufacturers, Castle Street, was proceeding to his work, after entering the yard, he descended a flight of steps which leads to the workshop, at the bottom of which he found a man on the ground. He procured a light and assistance, and removed him into a room on the premises. He was quite dead, and was discovered to be a man named SAMUEL CROWTHER, alias Sam the Cobbler.

The police having been sent for, he was searched but nothing was found upon him except an old empty purse and a knife. It is supposed that he had missed his way and fallen down the stairs when intoxicated.

He was removed to his own house, about 20 yards off. It appears that the deceased buried his wife about a fortnight ago, and received some club money, and had been drinking ever since. He was last seen by Policeman Nussey leaving the Shannon and Chesapeake Public House at half past 1 o’clock the same morning. He appeared to have been drinking, but was able to walk. On leaving, he bid the landlord goodnight.

On Thursday, an inquest was held before George Dyson Esq. coroner, at the Rose and Crown Inn, Castle Street, when the above facts were deposed to. Mr. Cockcroft, surgeon, said he had examined the body and found no external marks of injury. In his opinion the deceased had died of apoplexy caused by excessive drinking and exposure to cold. The jury returned a verdict with a request that Messrs. Ingham would rail these steps off to prevent future accidents.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Saturday, July 28, 1860; Issue 7140


On Monday a fatal accident occurred to a fine lad aged 6 years named THOMAS INGHAM, son of MR. JOHN INGHAM of Todmorden. It appears that the deceased had been staying with his grandmother at Hebden bridge and was taking a horse belonging to Mr. THOMAS PATCHETT of the White Lion Inn, to a field, when the animal kicked out twice, first hitting the poor lad on the chest and then on the abdomen. He died shortly afterwards.


At the Magistrates office on Monday before A. Ormerod Esq. ELISHA BEAUMONT, labourer of Halifax, was brought up in custody charged with having committed shocking cruelty to a cow on Saturday, the property of Mr. JOHN DAWSON, farmer of Warland. The prisoner had been in the employment of Mr. Dawson for about a fortnight, haymaking, and on the evening of Saturday he went to the shipon where there were some cows. On the prosecutor entering he found the prisoner using the cow most cruelly, and he was given into custody. The prisoner was fined £3 and in default committed to prison for 2 months with hard labour.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Saturday, January 28, 1860; Issue 7062.

Mr. JAMES WATKINS, a man of colour, for 18 years a slave in Maryland, gave three deeply affecting lectures on the evenings of Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday on American Slavery, the first in Bridge Street School and the last two in the Odd Fellows Hall. On each occasion the accommodation was far too limited, great numbers of persons endeavouring I vain to gain admittance.


On Thursday last at the court house, Todmorden, JOHN SUTCLIFFE, beer seller, Meadow Bottom, was charged with keeping a disorderly house and encouraging persons of bad character to assemble therein. Sutcliffe was fined 40s, costs 7s 6d.


At the court house, Todmorden, on Thursday, JONATHAN STANSFIELD of Roomfield Lane was charged with having, on 20th inst. Committed a violent unprovoked and disgraceful assault on MARY UTTLEY, a respectable young woman. From the examination of the plaintiff, it appeared that some time ago she had lived with her father in a house belonging to the defendant. She had lately removed but had not given up the key and was still paying rent. On the day in question she had occasion to go to an outhouse, to which, being tenant of the house, entitled her. She had no sooner entered then she heard footsteps approaching. She shut the door and held it but defendant pushed it open, pulled her and struck her several times over the head and face till she was rendered nearly insensible. After the evidence had been given, a dispute took place between the two learned advocates as to the jurisdiction of the Magistrates to try such a case. At length the Magistrates though the assault disproportionate to the offence and fined the defendant 5s and costs 13s.

Manchester Times (Manchester, England), Tuesday, February 20, 1849; Issue 27


On Saturday last, WILLIAM CROWTHER, of Knowlwood, was brought before JAMES TAYLOR Esq. by Sergeant HEAP, charged with stealing lead from the shed of Messrs. ORMEROD, manufacturers. It appears that a large quantity of sheet lead had been stolen, and the prisoner was suspected, and being accused, acknowledged his guilt. He was committed for trial.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Tuesday, April 16, 1861; Issue 7251


On Friday at noon, ELI CROWTHER, stonemason of Todmorden, who is well known to the police, was charged at the Magistrates Office with having on Thursday wilfully and maliciously cut and damaged a crane rope used for the purpose of hoisting up “Steeple Jack” who was at the time repairing the chimney of the mill belonging to Messrs. PICKLES of Shade. It appears that the prisoner was in the employ of SUTCLIFFE GREENWOOD, who had for some reason discharged him, and GREENWOOD being the contractor for the repairs, the prisoner cut the rope from a feeling of revenge upon GREENWOOD. He was committed to the New Bailey for 2 months hard labour.

Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Monday, June 2, 1879; Issue 9792


On Saturday, ROBERT HALSTEAD of Knowlwood was charged at the Police Court, Todmorden, with the manslaughter of GIBSON JACKSON of Woodbottom at the Mason’s Arms, Gauxholme, on the 23rd of May. Witnesses were called to show that the prisoner was subjected to provocation. The Bench committed the prisoner to the assizes for trial. Bail, however, was accepted.

Manchester Times (Manchester, England), Saturday, January 12, 1856; Issue 721

Two Boys Drowned Near Todmorden

On Monday last, Mr. Dearden, county coroner, held an inquest at the Hollings Inn, Walsden, near Todmorden, on the bodies of WILLIAM NEWELL, aged 13, and BENJAMIN THEW aged nine years. The deceased went to bathe on the Friday afternoon in the Birks reservoir, but they soon got out of their depth and sank. An alarm was immediately given; but the bodies were not found till near nine o’clock, four hours after the accident. A verdict of accidental death was returned.

The Manchester Times and Gazette (Manchester, England), Friday, October 2, 1846


On Monday, Mr. Molesworth held an inquest at Littleborough on the body of WILLIAM JACKSON, plate layer aged 42 years, whose death was caused under the following circumstances: It appears that the unfortunate man was employed on the Manchester and Leeds Railway at Walsden near Todmorden, and resided at Swallows Mill, a short distance from Littleborough. He had been in the habit of frequently riding from Walsden to Littleborough and then walking down the line of the railway to near his own residence. On Saturday evening last, he arrived at Littleborough about half past eight, and after having three penny worth of rum, proceeded down the line towards his home. About 10 o’clock the same night, the engineer of a luggage train from leeds observed the deceased on the line a short distance from the Littleborough station; it was found that his head was nearly severed from his body, having been done, as is supposed, by the train which arrives at Rochdale at 38 minutes past 9 o’clock. He has left a wife and four children. A verdict of Accidental death was returned.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Saturday, April 20, 1861; Issue 7253


On Thursday at the Todmorden Court House before John Crossley Esq., A. Ormerod Esq., and J.C. Sutcliffe Esq., WILLIAM FIELDEN, earthenware dealer of Shade, was charged with assaulting BETTY SUTCLIFFE, his grandmother, aged 92 years. The prisoner is about 40 years of age. The old woman was brought to the court house in a cart, being very infirm, and when brought before the Magistrates appeared in a very pitiable state. Both her eyes were blackened, and her whole face very much disfigured.

Dr. CHARLES SUTCLIFFE, with the assistance of a female, examined her and furnished a certificate which stated that the whole of her body was very much discoloured through ill-usage. Mr. WOODHEAD, proprietor of the premises, had known the prisoner strike the old woman if she refused to find him money for drink when he asked for it; and that it was a very common occurrence for him to abuse her. The prisoner, on asked if he had anything to say in his defence, said he must admit the charge, but as an excuse alleged he was drunk at the time, and begged the Bench to be as lenient with him as they possibly could. The chairman said the excuse offered was a very poor one for so bad a crime. He then committed FIELDEN to the New Bailey for 6 months with hard labour.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Saturday, April 11, 1835; Issue 3485

THOMAS STANSFIELD of Lidgate Todmorden, when in a state of intoxication, on Thursday evening week, wandered into the plantation of JOHN CROSSLEY Esq. of Scaitcliffe, and accidentally fell into a pond of water and was drowned. What is very singular, he was discovered in the morning standing erect in the water, with the crown of his head above the surface.

Manchester Times (Manchester, England), Saturday, October 10, 1874; Issue 878

Stabbing in a railway train

On Tuesday evening, two cattle dealers, brothers (Irishmen) were travelling by the train which leaves Manchester at 6.25pm and on arriving at Littleborough station other passengers got into the same carriage. The two men were lying along the seats in one of the compartments, which THOMAS LAW of Smales, Walsden, a traveller for Messrs. DAWSON BROTHERS, picker makers of Lanebottom, also entered. One of the Irishmen, whose name was MICHAEL ALLEN, apparently about 30 years of age, did not get up, and LAW passed by him and sat down on the other side.

ALLEN very offensively rubbed his feet upon LAW'S clothes. LAW made use of some sharp words, on which ALLEN struck him a blow in the face with his fist. LAW resented this and a struggle ensued, in the course of which LAW felt that his throat had been cut, from which a large quantity of blood flowed. ALLEN jumped out of the train whilst in motion in the Summit Tunnel and was considerably hurt.

He was subsequently arrested and on Wednesday at the Magistrates Office, Todmorden, a gentleman from the office of Messrs Grandy and Co. of Manchester, solicitors, appeared on behalf of the L &Y Railway Company, and asked for a remand, which was granted, and he was remanded until Wednesday next at 11.30am. When apprehended, ALLEN was seeking lodgings at Clough, Walsden, and about £50 of money was found upon him.

The Manchester Times and Gazette (Manchester, England), Saturday, December 19, 1846; Issue 50


On Saturday last an inquest was held at Walsden near Todmorden on the body of THOMAS CROWTHER, aged 2 years and nine months, who had been accidentally scalded to death by falling into a vessel of  hot liquor, carelessly placed on the floor. Verdict Accidental Death.

Manchester Times (Manchester, England), Saturday, December 23, 1882; Issue 1302

Shocking Accident

A shocking accident has occurred at Walsden, Todmorden, on the premises of Mr. HENRY ELLISON, chemical manufacturer. A pipe was frozen and the men were heating it when one of the boilers or stills exploded, completely wrecking the premises and killing two men, Mr. THOMAS STANSFIELD, the manager, and THOMAS OGDEN. After the explosion the tar, naptha and oil caught fire, burning the two men almost to a cinder. A man named NAYLOR was removed to the infirmary. Two others were badly hurt.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Tuesday, January 24, 1899; Issue 18972.

At Rochdale yesterday, ANNIE LEES, the late landlady of the Spinners Rest, Todmorden, and the Railway Hotel Littleborough, appeared to answer the charge of bigamy, she having married the landlord of these hotels (Mr. RICHARD BLACKBURN) while her husband SAMUEL LEES of Ashton was still alive, but this case was dismissed.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Saturday, February 24, 1872; Issue 10569

Fatal Railway Accident at Todmorden

A shocking accident occurred at the Dobroyd level crossing about 300 yards above Todmorden station on Saturday afternoon. A little girl about 14 years old named SARAH BUTTERWORTH, the step daughter of a railway pointsman, was going on an errand to a farm on the hillside, and had to cross the line. She stood inside the gates while the 3-20 train for Manchester had gone by, and then began to run across the line, regardless of the warning of the gate keeper, who saw the down train approaching. At the imminent risk of his own life, the gatekeeper crossed the line in front of the train and endeavoured to catch hold of the girl, but he failed and she was caught by the engine and carried by it a distance of 50 yards down the line. The train passed over one arm and foot, severing the latter limb. The body was immediately picked up and carried home a short distance from the scene of the accident. The present gatekeeper has been at this crossing more than 26 years, and has never had an accident before.

Manchester Times (Manchester, England), Tuesday, May 29, 1849; Issue 60


On Saturday morning, the wife of Mr. HENRY SUTCLIFFE, of Top of the Hill, Walsden, farmer, was found lying in the road, near her own home, in a senseless state. It appears the she had been as far as Shade, and was returning home. About eleven o’clock on the previous night, when she was seized with a fit. A young girl had accompanied her within a short distance of the place where she was found. She now lies in a hopeless state, and up to yesterday she had not spoken.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Saturday, October 4, 1851; Issue 6148.


On Tuesday, as Sally, wife of THOMAS CROSSLEY, farmer, of Upper Ashes in Stansfield, was taking a cow which had lately calved, to the water trough, the animal became restive and made a violent attack upon her and knocked her down, inflicting injuries so serious that she died on Thursday.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Saturday, October 11, 1851; Issue 6149


Last week we recorded the death of Mrs. CROSSLEY by a cow. On Monday last, Mr. CROSSLEY was taking the same animal to the watering trough when it attacked him and knocked him down, and had it not been for the timely help of his son, probably he would also have been killed.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Tuesday, August 2, 1864; Issue 8208


On the evening of Saturday last, a fatal accident happened to a boy who lived at Walsden, named ROBERT STANSFIELD aged thirteen years. Deceased, along with other boys, was following a band of music which had arrived at Walsden Station, and was proceeding in the direction of Summit, when he was struck down by the shaft of a cart. A wheel passed over his loins, and he died shortly afterwards.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Thursday, May 16, 1861; Issue 7264.


About 2 o’clock on Monday afternoon, Mr. ROBERT PICKLES, coal dealer, Walsden, near Todmorden, was suddenly killed. A luggage train had just left the station, after having discharged two wagon load of coals for the deceased. The wagons were in motion, and it is presumed that Mr. PICKLES, wishing to examine the tickets on the train, for that purpose, ran between the wagons in motion and some others that were stationary. Unfortunately, he was caught between the buffers and most frightfully and fatally crushed. Such was the force of the concussion that stationary wagons were set in motion. The deceased fell to the ground, but instantly, and almost with his last breath, he recovered his feet, exclaimed, “I am killed!” and then fell down and expired.

Messengers were immediately dispatched for Drs. Sutcliffe and Hardman, and the former gentleman was early on the spot, but his services were unavailing, the unfortunate man having died before his arrival. Deceased was thirty-five years of age, and was highly respected. He has left a wife and four children. The body was conveyed on a truck from the place of the accident to the Queen Hotel, Todmorden, and on Tuesday afternoon an inquest was held on the body, before T. Dearden Esq., when a verdict of “Accidental Death” was returned.

Halifax Guardian 1875 2nd January 1875

Petty Sessions Thursday week

THOMAS MALONE was charged with stealing four woollen shirts from the door of Messrs FAIRBOURNE'S shop, Strand, Todmorden. JOHN HENRY WADSWORTH, assistant saw the theft. He was committed for trial.

JAMES MIDGLEY (who did not appear) was fined 20s for leaving his cart on the turnpike road for a longer period than was necessary for leading of unloading the same.

On Wednesday at the Magistrates office, and elderly women named MARY GALLAGHER (alias HAMILTON) was brought up on a charge of stealing two shirts and a hat, the property of John Thorp, hawker. Both parties were lodging at Speak's lodging house at Shade. The prisoner was discharged.

JOHN FIELDEN (late of Millwood) a soldier attached to the 33rd Regiment of Foot, was charged with having exceeded his furlough. He was ordered to be sent to the County Gaol at Manchester.

On Monday morning at the Magistrates Office, JAMES HONLEY of Knowlwood, was charged with unlawfully wounding CATHERINE STEPHENS of Knowlwood. The prisoner absconded on the morning of the assault, and was only apprehended on the 23rd December. The prisoner was sentenced to six months imprisonment with hard labour.

Raid on an Alleged Betting House

At the Petty Sessions on Thursday week, the above case was heard. The defendants all surrendered to their recognizances. Their names were :-




ALFRED WINDER of Back Brook Street


ENOCH BENTLEY of George Street


TOM BLACKBURN of Harley Bank

JAMES CROSSLEY of Union Street South


The prisoners were defended by Mr.Cottingham, barrister of Manchester, instructed by Messrs Learoyd of Huddersfield. The first named (FIELDEN) was charged with having on the 22nd November, kept a betting house, and the rest were charged with aiding and abetting to the offence. The principal witness for the prosecution was P.C. Horton. After a hearing of five hours, the bench adjourned the case for a fortnight.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 9th January 1875

Petty Sessions

JOHN CROSSLEY of Patmos, was fined £10 with 8s costs, for having assaulted P.C. Lister as he was leaving the court on the 24th ult. The case arose out of a decision given by the magistrates, and in which the defendant was interested.

Fourteen persons were fined for being drunk and disorderly.

ISAAC DEWHIRST was fined 2s-6d and costs 8s for sliding on the footpath near the Burnley Road toll bar on the 1st inst.

JOHN ROBERTS 2s-6d and costs 8s for sliding in Burnley Road.

The decision of the bench in the adjourned case of FIELDEN and others regarding the betting house, was given at the opening of the court. FIELDEN was fined £10 and costs, or three months imprisonment, and the rest of the defendants 10s each and costs, or one months imprisonment. The costs in each case were 15s-4d.

Sudden Death

On Wednesday morning, SALLY BARRITT, of Goshen Terrace was found dead. She was 71 years of age.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 16th January 1875

Found Drowned

On Tuesday, Mr. Taylor held an inquest at the Station House Inn, Eastwood, on the body of SALLY HELLIWELL, an aged woman, who had been found drowned in the canal. AMOS HELLIWELL, of Springside, Stansfield, cotton weaver, said the deceased was his aunt, and lived by herself at Shaw Bridge, in Langfield. She was 85 years old, and formerly a factory hand. She was all bright and cheerful on Saturday night when he last saw her. On Monday morning he saw her dead body.

From other evidence it appeared that the deceased, who was in the habit of boiling water for the mill-hands, went to Spring Mill for some jugs, and the morning being dark and foggy, she fell into the canal. A verdict of found drowned, probably accidental was returned.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 23rd. January 1875

Petty Sessions Thursday

Several cases were adjourned, including one against JOHN CROSSLEY of Patmos for assaulting the police.

WILLIAM UTTLEY, tailor, was ordered to be imprisoned a month for having assaulted his wife. He beat her because she refused to give him the children's wages.

Several men were fined for being drunk and disorderly.  

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 30th January 1875

Suicide at Stansfield

An inquest was held on Tuesday afternoon, at the Railway Hotel, Lydgate in Stansfield by Mr. W. Barstow, coroner touching the death of an old man named PAUL GREENWOOD who had for some time been in an unusual state of mind. The evidence showed that for several weeks past the deceased had been watched by relatives and friends.

On Saturday night, HENRY ORMEROD stayed with him until about half past ten o'clock, he then went away, locked the door, and took the key of the door with him. Deceased was not seen or heard of again until the next morning, when a carter named LUKE NUTTALL went in about seven o'clock to see how he was, and he found GREENWOOD laid on the bed with his throat cut, and quite dead. The cut was four inches long right across the throat, severing the wind-pipe. The bed was saturated with blood, and the razor was found lying beside him. The jury returned a verdict that the deceased had committed suicide while in an unsound state of mind.

A Wife Kicker

On Wednesday at the Magistrates Court, a platelayer named JOHN HOLDEN of Shade was sent to prison for two months, for assaulting his wife on Tuesday.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 6th February 1875

Petty Sessions - Thursday

Mrs GRACE DAWSON of Wellfield Terrace, obtained an order for the protection of her earnings from her husband. He had cruelly treated her and deserted her.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 13th February 1875

Man gored by a cow at Shore

A few days ago, JAMES ORMEROD, of Shore, was gored by an infuriated cow, as it was being driven along the road. Seven men had to rescue him. He is now recovering.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 20th February 1875

Petty Sessions Thursday

RICHARD WALTON of Hanging Ditch, was ordered to be bound over in sureties and return to his work with Messrs. Shepherd and Sutcliffe.

FREDERICK HOWARTH and EDWARD SCHOLFIELD for having been disorderly in a refreshment booth on the market ground were each fined 10s.

THOMAS ROBERTSHAW, carter, was fined 10s for leaving his cart a long time on the road at Langfield.

JAMES KERSHAW and ROBERT WOOD of Walsden, were each fined 40s for violently assaulting JAMES STOTT on the 6th inst, when a disturbance arose between the parties outside the Railway Inn.

Messrs. WHEELHOUSE and HOWARTH, corn millers, Gauxholme, were summoned for torturing a horse by working it in an unfit state. It having been shown that Mr. HOWARTH knew nothing about the condition of the horse, the bench dismissed the charge against him, and fined WHEELHOUSE 40s and costs.

Assault on the Police

On Thursday at the Todmorden Petty Sessions, JOHN LEVER, a fishmonger, and JOHN CROSSLEY, confectioner, were charged with having assaulted P.C. O'Hara as he was leaving the court on the 24th ult., after giving evidence in a gambling case in which the defendants were concerned. After a long hearing, each defendant was fined £5 and costs.


Frozen to Death

On Tuesday the body of an old man named WILLIAM JACKSON, better known as "War Bill" was found frozen to death on the moors near Facit on the road from Bacup. The deceased was unmarried, and lived at a lone spot called Pot'oons and he had evidently been making his way home when he succumbed to the intense cold now prevailing in this wild moorland district, and was frozen to death.

Accident at Tipside

Yesterday week, a young man from Littleborough, who had been employed for a few days as a stripper at Messrs. Shepherd and Sutcliffe's, Tipside, met with an accident by which he lost the middle finger of his left hand.

Police Court

JOHN WALSH was brought up on Monday, at the Police Court charged with having deserted from the 28th Regiment of Foot stationed at Colchester. P.C. O'Hare had apprehended the prisoner that morning. He was ordered to be sent to the county prison, where he would be dealt with by the authorities.

JAMES CROSSLEY of Cobden, was brought up charged with being drunk and abusive to the police on Saturday night at Strand, and had 17s-4d to pay.

On Tuesday, JOHN GREENWOOD of Mount Pleasant, was charged with ill-using SARAH GREENWOOD, his wife. On Saturday night he came home drunk and threatened to kill her. On the suggestion of Mr. Fielden, prisoner expressed himself willing to find his wife a comfortable home, which was all she asked ; and on the prisoner leaving he was greeted with hisses and booing.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 13th March 1875

Accidentally Drowned

An inquest on WILLIAM TURNER, who was found drowned in the Rochdale canal on the previous day, was held on Sunday morning at the Railway Hotel, Walsden before Mr. Molesworth, coroner. A verdict of accidentally drowned was returned.

Sudden Death

On Sunday night, RICHARD HORSFALL bobbin turner, of New Lay, died very suddenly. Deceased had attended two services at Vale Baptist Chapel during last Sunday, and appeared in his usual state of health. He was seized with sudden illness about half past seven, and died before nine o'clock the same night.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 20th March 1875

Petty Sessions Thursday

THOMAS RABY of Willow Bank, was fined 10s for having been disorderly at the Fountain Inn on the 1st instant.

JOHN HALSTEAD of Lydgate charged his brother in law, JOHN STANSFIELD with uttering defamatory language concerning him. Ordered to enter into recognizances to keep the peace for six months.

Last Saturday night some miscreant broke into the poultry house of DANIELl and ROBERT GREENWOOD at Vale, and killed 14 hens and a cock.


Petty Sessions

THOMAS NUTTER, a farmer, was fined 4s and 10s costs for neglecting to give notice of an outbreak of disease amongst his sheep.

WILLIAM HELLIWELL of Walsden charged THOMAS JACKSON with assaulting him fined 10s.

JOHN RILEY (a tramp) was sent to prison for 14 days for begging in Stansfield Road on the day previous.

On Monday at the Magistrate's Office, HENRY BRINDLE, weaver, was charged with leaving his wife and children chargeable to the parish in 1873. He was ordered to be imprisoned for a month with hard labour.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 10th April 1875

Serious Accident at Roebuck Farm, Portsmouth

On Saturday afternoon, WILLIAM TATTERSALL, employed on the farm of Mr. T. SUTCLIFFE, Roebuck Inn, Portsmouth, was feeding the hay chopping machine, when the fingers of his left hand were taken off, above the second joints.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 17th April 1875

Petty Sessions

THOMAS DAWSON of Walsden was fined 20s for assaulting his mother.

THOMAS PROCTOR of Walsden was fined 1s for assaulting JOHN NEVILLE, labourer.

JAMES CROWTHER had 10s to pay for selling beer out of hours at the Cross Keys Inn, Walsden.

Petty Sessions - Thursday

THOMAS INGHAM of the Shoulder of Mutton Inn, Toadcarr, was fined 10s with 8s costs for allowing drunken men in his house on the 13th April, and WILLIAM BARKER was fined for being drunk there, 10s.

THOMAS HOLT of Springside, THOMAS CROOK of Lobmill, FRANK GREENWOOD of Cobden, and JAMES MILLER of Springside were charged with playing at pitch and toss on Sunday in Keelham Lane, Stansfield, and JOHN WILSON of Carrhouse Fold was charged with aiding and abetting. A fine of 5s with costs was imposed in each case.

ROBERT WOODHOUSE was fined 5s with 2s costs for being drunk at Butcher Hill.

CHARLES STOTT, for being drunk at Gauxholme, was fined the like amount, and for cruelly ill-treating a dog at the same time and place by swinging it round by means of a strap, and kicking it, was ordered to pay 10s and 9s costs.

On Saturday at the Magistrates office, THOMAS GALLIGHAN was charged with being found on the premises of JOHN HARDMAN at Lobmill, at one o'clock on Tuesday morning previous for an unlawful purpose, and was sent to hard labour for one month.


Police Cases

ELI HELLIWELL of Todmorden was sent to prison for three months for having assaulted his wife.

WILLIAM LEE was committed for trial for having stolen half a sovereign from the shop of HARRY LANGSTRETH in York Street on Saturday.


Rabid Dog

A dog in a rabid stated was chased about Todmorden on Sunday morning. It bit several other dogs, and was shot at the cricket field.

Petty Sessions

MITCHELL HELLIWELL, of Cornholme, and ROBERT BOTTOMLEY, of Ramsden Wood for being drunk and refusing to leave the White Lion Hotel, Hebden Bridge were each fined 30s and 11s-6d costs.

HENRY PICKLES of West View, Vale, for using threatening language towards THOMAS HOWARTH, of the same place, during a row about a cat, was ordered to enter into recognizance to keep the peace, and to pay 11s-6d costs.

A number of persons were dealt with for being drunk and disorderly.

CHARLES HOLT, weaver of Stansfield, was sent to prison for a month for neglecting his wife and family.

AQUILLA ORDERLY, SAMUEL SCHOLFIELD, GEORGE SIMPSON, and GEORGE SLATER, were fined 10s and 9s each costs, for playing cards on the towing path of the canal at Todmorden, on the 1st of May.


Magistrates Office

On Monday at the Magistrate's Office, HENRY PRIESTLEY was sent to prison for a month for having stolen a stone bottle from the shop door of ALBERT CLARKSON of Todmorden.


Petty Sessions

Three persons from Hebden Bridge and six from Todmorden were each fined £1-5s-0d for having no licences for their dogs.

GEORGE BLAKEY, boatman, was remanded for card playing.

ANN LORD, Railway Hotel, Walsden was fined 10s for allowing drunken men to be in her house on the 24th instant.

EDWARD JACKSON, of the Moorcock Inn, was fined 10s for a like offence, and two men found in the house were each fined 10s.


Magistrates office

At the Magistrates Office on Monday, HANNAH HORSFALL, of Wellington Terrace was charged with having stolen two pieces of cotton shirting from the shop of Mr. JAMES GAUKROGER, Pavement. BARKER SMITH, of the same place, was also charged on suspicion of having been concerned in the commission of other robberies. The prisoners were remanded.

Petty Sessions

At these sessions, on Thursday, JOHN RYDER, accountant charged MARY MARSHALL of Knotts Road, with having assaulted him on the 2nd instant. There was a cross summons in the case. The magistrates dismissed both.



This states that HORSFALL and BARKER SMITH were also charged with stealing two boxes of scent from Messrs Newton and Brook's shop, also of Pavement. They were committed for trial.


County Court

At this Court, on Monday, JOSEPH LLOYD THORPE, assistant overseer of the Township of Stansfield, appeared to answer a claim for £13-13s-0d made against him for wrongful distraint upon the goods of HANNAH SUTCLIFFE of Jack Bridge. The defence was that the overseers were the proper parties to proceed against. The cause was therefore struck out.

JOHN MITCHELL, farmer, Bearnshaw Tower, sought to recover damages for a trespass committed on his farm by sheep belonging to JOHN and TAYLOR GREENWOOD, neighbouring farmers. Plaintiff complained that he suffered loss by the trespassing of defendant's sheep upon his farm; they kept more stock than their pasture would afford, and he had repeatedly had to complain of the trespass. The case was adjourned.

HANNAH SUTCLIFFE, Jack Bridge, sued the Colden Cotton and Commercial Company for 7s wages, and a further sum for expenses incurred at a previous court. The dispute about the wages was whether 7s of 7s-6d was due. 7s had been paid into court, and a nonsuit was ordered to be recorded, the rest of the items not being entertained.

JOHN GREENWOOD, grocer of Shade, and WILLIAM MORRIS, sand hawker of Lydgate, for a debt of £12-9s-3d for lent money and goods supplied. The case was adjourned.

JOHN WILLIAM HEAP claimed from RICHARD BLACK £25 for damages arising from a broken leg. On the 20th February plaintiff and defendant were drinking at the Glenview beerhouse, Portsmouth, when a dispute arose and the accident happened. After a long hearing, a verdict in plaintiff's favour for £20 was returned.

Petty Sessions

THOMAS CRABTREE of Walsden was fined 2s-6d and 31s and 6d costs for keeping a pig afflicted with a contagious disease.

THOMAS PROCTER of Hollins Inn, was fined 20s for having 8 pigs.

RICHARD COCKCROFT and HENRY BUTTERWORTH of Knowlwood for having 4 pigs each were dealt with in a like manner. All the pigs were bought at Wakefield.

WILLIAM SOUTHWELL, farmer was bound over to keep the peace for abusing his neighbour THOMAS BARKER.

EDWARD JACKSON of the Moorcock Inn, Walsden, was fined 20s for having his house open at unlawful hours.


Death from Drowning

On Tuesday, Mr. Molesworth, coroner, held an inquest at the Black Bull Inn, Gauxholme, touching the death of ROBERT SHACKLETON of Gauxholme Fold, aged 5 years, who drowned on Sunday in the clough which runs down Dulesgate. There was no evidence as to how the child got into the water, but from what could be learned from a lad seven years old, it would appear that they were daring each other to cross the weir above Watty Mill and that the deceased was attempting to cross when he fell back head foremost into the water, and was drowned before assistance could be got. JAMES CARROL, Gauxholme sizer, said that on Sunday he heard of the boy being in the water, and went up to Watty Mill. He stripped and went into the water, and recovered the body, it appeared to be dead. The jury returned a verdict of accidentally drowned.

The Coroner remarked that he often found in cases of drowning there was a lamentable ignorance displayed by bystanders as to what should be done to restore animation. He should be glad to illustrate the way in which to proceed, if the jury wished him - One of the jury having expressed his willingness to be 'operated' upon, Mr. Molesworth explained the whole process by practical illustration.


Magistrates Office

On Monday JOSEPH STANSFIELD, of Mount Pleasant, was placed before Mr. Ormerod, and a medical certificate was produced showing him to be a person of unsound mind and unfit to be at large. The young man's lunacy had shown itself in rather an expensive manner. A week or two ago, he went into a stable, and after feeding a valuable horse with dry oats, took it out and galloped it about until it fell and died. The horse belonged to Mr. JOHN GREENWOOD, coal dealer, and had only a few days before been bought for £75. An order was granted for Stansfield's removal to an asylum.

In Chancery

HIGHLEY v STANSFIELD and Others - Before Vice-Chancellor Sir James Bacon.

This cause for the administration of the estate of the late Mr. ASHTON STANSFIELD, of Newton Grove Todmorden (which was instituted by Mrs ESTHER JANE HIGHLEY, the wife of THOMAS SUTCLIFFE HIGHLEY of Halifax) came before his Honour for hearing on Wednesday. A general adminsitration decree was made by his Honour, who also directed that an inquiry should be made as to what legacies had been paid, under what circumstances, and by whom.

Petty Sessions Thursday

JOHN CLARKE, of Millwood, was fined 40s with 20s costs for having stolen gooseberries from a garden at Burnthouses on Saturday.

A long case against Mr. JOHN STEVENSON, manufacturer of Shade, for neglecting to remove an accumulation of night-soil, ended in his being ordered to do so within 3 days.

WILLIAM JEFFREY and THOMAS THOMAS, of Millwood, were each fined 10s for damaging the garden of MARY DAWSON.

Several persons were fined for being drunk and disorderly.

FIELDEN HELLIWELL, landlord of the Thorn Inn, Shore, was fined 20s for having several men drinking at his house during unlawful hours. On Sunday the 20th Ult, P.C. Ibbotson found over 20 men in the house at half past four in the afternoon.

Sudden Death at Todmorden.

On Thursday morning, FREDERICK REYNOLDS, aged 29 years, house porter for Mrs. JOHN FIELDEN at Dobroyd Castle, died very suddenly in the court-yard. He had been suffering for a few days.



The Inquest on FREDERICK REYNOLDS, who died suddenly at Dobroyd Castle on Thursday week was held yesterday evening week at the Mason's Arms, Gauxholme, when the medical testimony was to the effect that delirium tremens and syncope were the causes of death. Verdict - Died from excessive drinking.


At the magistrates office on Saturday, THOMAS CLARKE was sent to prison for one month for disorderly conduct near the Swan Inn, the night previous. He was drunk, and had threatened to kill the police when they interfered.

Suicide by Drowning

On Tuesday morning, JOHN FIELDEN of Square, Walsden, was found struggling in the Rochdale Canal near his house, under circumstances which left but little doubt that he had gone in with the intention of drowning himself. He had been drinking about a fortnight, and on Tuesday morning went to make hay for a relative. He left the hayfield about ten o'clock without saying anything, and about half an hour later was found in the water by JOHN FISHERWOOD. Fisherwood went into the water to assist him, but he sank. Fisherwood then dived after him and brought him to the surface, and he was got out. Means were adopted to restore animation, but without avail. Deceased was 51 years of age.

Sudden Death

On Saturday evening, the wife of JOHN LAW, butcher, was taken ill and died almost immediately. Disease of the heart was the cause.

Death of a Todmorden Gentleman in India

On Tuesday, the family of Mr. E. Lord of Adamroyd, received a telegram announcing the death or Mr. FRANK LORD, the eldest son, at Bombay that morning.


John Fielden

The three richest men in the British House of Commons are self-made men with no family arms. One is Sir George Elliott who made £2,500,000 last year. The others are Messrs Fielden and Hermon, worth about £1,500,000 a year each. Quote from the San Francisco Chronicle.

Mr. Fielden M.P. is again seriously ill. He has been visited by Sir W. Gull, of London M.D. A local physician is also regularly attending him.

Petty Sessions Thursday

The case of JOHN GREENWOOD v GEORGE CROSSLEY for defamation was dismissed.

JOHN W. HALSTEAD of Langfield was fined 20s for an assault on HANNAH HILL at Croft Gate on the 6th July.

In a case between ELIZABETH NUSSEY and ELLEN PICKLES of Millwood, the defendant was bound over to keep the peace for six months.

JAMES HOLLINRAKE was sent for two months for assaulting his wife.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 7th August 1875


Last Sunday afternoon, the body of JOHN HALSTEAD, carter, who has left a widow and 10 children, was taken out of the canal at Gauxholme. A verdict of Found Drowned was returned at the Inquest held on Monday.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 14th August 1875

Man Hung

On Wednesday, an inquest was held before Mr. Molesworth at the Black Horse Inn, on the body of ROBERT WINDHILL, aged 38, living at Knowlwood. BETTY SOUTHWELL said the body was that of her brother in law. He was addicted to drink. She last saw him alive on Saturday night when he had had some drink. His wife had been living with her for seven days, and apart from her husband. He came in, shook hands with his wife, and bade her good-night, saying he did not think she would see him again.

JAMES PRESTON, of Little Knowl Terrace, stripper and grinder, said he had taken the house, No 119 Knowlwood, where the deceased hung himself. He was in on Saturday cleaning it, and then did not go again until Monday. He opened the door and saw the body of the deceased hanging from a hook in the ceiling. He alarmed the neighbours, and when he got back the body was on the floor.

P.S.Barret, said that on Monday afternoon, he was called to the house, and found the body of the deceased on the floor with a rope round his neck; the house was full of people. The body was quite cold and appeared to have been dead a day or more.

One of the jury remarked that he believed that the deceased had intended to go to America, and that he had paid his passage out of the money realised by a sale of his furniture, and then decided not to go; it was also stated that he had given his wife 25s of the money.

A verdict was returned that the deceased had committed suicide by hanging whilst of unsound mind.

County Court

GEORGE ROBERTS of Oldroyd, and THOMAS KNOWLES of Kilnhurst for £2 damages arising from his having been bitten by the defendants dog on the 28th May as he was going along the highroad at Sandholme. Several witnesses showed the dog was a savage one, and the judge gave a verdict for the plaintiff for 30s.

On Monday at the magistrates office, WILLIAM DAVIS, of Salford, was charged with being drunk and riotous on Saturday evening. Sergeant Barrett stated that the prisoner had been up once before. Prisoner said he had been teetotal from that time up to Saturday, and he was very sorry he had broken. A penalty of 40s and costs was inflicted.


On Thursday morning at the Magistrates office, THOMAS LORD of Temperance Street, was brought up on a warrant, charged with being drunk in Water Street, on the 1st of August last year. He has been out of the district since then, but was apprehended at Burnley. He was sentenced to 21 days imprisonment.

Alleged Felony

On Thursday, HANNAH BROWN was brought up at the magistrates office, and charged with stealing a pair of moleskin trousers, value 7s-3d, the property of ELI HELLIWELL, King Street. The police had endeavoured to trace the missing garment, but failed, and as nothing could be made from the evidence adduced, the prisoner was ordered to be released.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 21st August 1875


On Monday, at the Magistrates office, WILLIAM BEDRINGTON, weaver, of Castle Street, charged with being drunk at 10.15 p.m. on the previous evening, was fined 5s with 6s-10d costs.


Last Friday, a strangely formed kitten was born at Mr. W. CRAVEN'S, 7, Stansfield Road. It possessed eight perfect legs, two bodies, two tails, and one head. It was born alive, and lived about five hours, all its limbs being capable of motion.


On Tuesday, Mr. J. Molesworth, held an inquiry at the Black Bull Inn, Gauxholme, touching the death of TOM SLATER, aged 24 years, son of Mr. GEORGE SLATER, wharfinger of Gauxholme, who was found drowned in the Rochdale Canal, at Shade Lock on Sunday morning last. ROBERT LAW, of Pexwood, farm servant, said he found the body of the deceased in the canal about 5.30 on Sunday morning, as he was going to his work along the canal bank. The body was standing erect, with the head under the water. The place where the body was found was at the tail of Shade Lock - JOHN HOWARTH, one of the jurymen, stated that the deceased had a habit when in drink of walking with his eyes closed; his companions made a practice of following him home to see him safe. It was also stated that the deceased had been repeatedly cautioned about going on the towing-path, but he invariably replied that water would not drown him. The jury returned a verdict of - Accidentally drowned.

Petty Sessions Thursday

Robert STEPHENSON, manufacturer of Walsden, was fined 5s for allowing his hens to stray upon and damage the herbage of Robert Howard, a farmer.

JOSEPH WILLIAM FIRTH of Wellington Road, was fined 40s, damages 30s and 22s-6d costs for doing wilful damage upon the premises of Firth and Clarke, manufacturers, Der Street Mill. Mr. Craven in opening the case said it presented some distressing features, inasmuch as one of the complainants was the father of the defendant. On Saturday the 24th July, CLARKE closed the mill, and on the following Monday morning it was found that a door opening on the canal bank was open, two windows broken, obscene words were written upon several calico pieces, a can of oil upset, something indecent written in the .. book, and a quantity of china clay spread about the floor. The defendant was also seen upon the canal bank on the Sunday, and also in the mill. The reason for the damage being done was supposed to be that Clarke, who had not long been a partner with the defendant's father, required that defendant should attend to his work, and as he refused to do so he was dismissed.

Several parties were fined for being drunk and disorderly.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 28th August 1875

Sudden Death

A little boy, son of Mr. ROBERTSHAW, overlooker, Burnley Valley died suddenly on Saturday last.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 11th September 1875

Vale of Todmorden Show

The 6th annual show was held at Roomfield on Saturday, and proved an immense success. In fact, the show ground, became so crowded that perambulation was rendered difficult. The extensive judging ring, which allowed almost unlimited scope for the display of the going powers of the horses that were brought into it, was fringed by a dense mass of spectators during the judging of the principal classes; and the grand-stand, which extended the whole length of the ring, was also filled. Between £600 and £800 were offered in prizes. The entries were 1,231, as against 1,192 last year, and 921 the year before. In no departments was the progress more marked than in those for cattle and horses.

Among the exhibitors of cattle was Mr. T. Statter of Manchester, who showed some of his most noted animals. The best animal in the show yard was undoubtedly Mr. Statter's prize bull, Oxford Choirboy, who took the 1st prize in its class, the 2nd going to Mr. Thomas Riley of Mytholmroyd with Lord of Ewood.

Among the cows in calf or milk, Mr. Statter's Lady Graceful, and Stanley Rose carried off both the prizes. Messrs. Fielden Brothers were the only exhibitors of Alderney's.

Mr. J. Crabtree of Ashes, Stansfield, was also a very successful exhibitor.

The dairy cows, tenant farmers in the district, were a fine lot, first prize being awarded to that belonging to Mrs ROBERT GREENWOOD of Harehill. In the other classes which were only open to tenant farmers in the district, there were a fair number of entries, which included many excellent animals.

The principal prize-takers were Mr. E. Law - Mr. Crabtree - Mr. R. Barker - Mr. H. Pickles - Mr. A. Stansfield - Mrs Fielden - Mr. J. Pickles - and Mr. J. Crossley.

Horses mustered well, the show being an exceedingly good one. Mr. J.F. Crowther's "Honest Tom" took the white rosette among the one year old colts or fillies for agricultural or draught purposes, and among the three year olds, the grey filly shown by Mr. T.W. Waterhouse of Apperley Bridge occupied a similarly honourable position.

Mr. J.F. Crowther's brood mare 7 years old, obtained the 1st prize in the class for agricultural brood mares having a foal at foot, or having had a foal this year.

Mr. Stephen Kirby, of Manchester obtained the 1st prize in brood mares for road or field having a foal at foot, with a splendid animal which has been exhibited 56 times and has received 54 prizes.

As at Bingley, so at Todmorden, Mr. Statter carried off the prize for the best tandem turnout. He likewise carried off the palm in the stallion classes.

There was a splendid set of hunters exhibited, and the judges awarded 1st prize to Mr. John Greenwood's - Counsellor, a 5 year old brown gelding.

There was a good show of pigs. The entries of poultry were very numerous, and it is evident that this department is improving rapidly. Among the extra stock in the implement department was a hot-water boiler exhibited by Mr. E. Lumby of Halifax, for which the society awaded a Gold Medal.

Mr. W. Fairhurst of Halifax took 2nd prize for 3 year old gelding or filly. For four year old mare or gelding Mr. J. Crossley of Halifax came first. As usual the great attention was centred on the jumpers and trotters. The pony jumpers, not exceeding 14 hands were first tested. Only five competed. "Prince Charlie" won the 1st prize. In horses the entries were 13, but only seven competed. "Gamester" the property of Mr. Emmet of Craven Lodge, Halifax carried off the 1st prize.

Considerable amusement was provided in the pony trotting match. Mr. Hebblethwaite's "Polly" coming in 1st , and Mr. Spencer's (Halifax) black "Daisy" 2nd.

Wardle Agricultural Show

At the Wardle Agricultural Show on Wednesday, Mr. ROBERT BARKER of Todmorden, carried off the 1st prize in the 2 year old heifer class, and the 1st prize was awarded to Mr. S. Lord of New Barn for stirk. Mr. WILLIAM ORMEROD of Pexhouse won 1st prize with his game cock, and 2nd prize for game pullet. Mr. JOHN W. HAIGH, Pastureside, got 2nd prize in the pointer class, and Mr.S. HORSFALL of Clough House, Walsden obtained 2nd prize for fox terriers.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 25th September 1875


On Wednesday, at the Magistrates Office, ELIZABETH BARKER, wife of BENJAMIN BARKER, shoemaker of Back Brook Street, was committed for trial, for having on the 9th instant, stolen a hearth rug, the property of the Rev. J. CONSTANCE, of Wellington Road.

Fatal Accident

A fatal accident occurred at one of the Towneley coal-pits on Saturday afternoon, to JOHN BATES of Duke Street, Deceased was engaged in "The Alice Pit" placing two cross beams over the pit by means of a rope, when the rope slipped and caught him round the body and dashed him with great force against the top part of the pit. Death was almost instantaneous.

Vicar to Leave

The Rev. E.F. Molesworth, who has been vicar of Todmorden since 1868, has been appointed to a living near Durham.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 2nd October 1875

Petty Sessions Thursday

GREENWOOD BALDWIN, of Walsden and THOMAS SUTCLIFFE of Shade, two cart drivers, were each fined 5s for having been asleep in their carts when on the public road.

PATRICK MAKIN, a hawker, was fined 10s for ill-treating his horse. P.C. O'Hara stopped him in North Street and found a large wound on the horse's shoulder.

EMANUEL ROBERTSHAW and JOHN MARSHALL of Springside were summoned for being drunk and creating a disturbance by fighting on the 20th instant, and were fined 10s each.

SAMUEL BUTTERWORTH, Shanter, and LUKE STANSFIELD of Cobden, were each fined 20s for being drunk and refusing to leave the Fox and Hounds beerhouse at Patmos.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 9th October 1875

Alleged Theft

On Saturday, at the Magistrates Court, JAMES HARDMAN, labourer, was charged with stealing an overcoat, the property of JOSEPH DAWSON, Langfield, who, in giving evidence, said that in the month of June last, on a Monday, he could not tell the date, he left the overcoat produced with MARY ASHWORTH at the Royal George Inn to be taken care of. On the 1st instant, he met the prisoner in Church Street, wearing the coat. The prisoners had been seen at the Royal George in the kitchen. He sometimes helped to clean the house when they were without a man-servant, and he would then have access to the kitchen. He was committed for trial.

Cutting and Wounding by a Young Wife

On Wednesday, at the Town Hall, CAROLINE HARDMAN, aged 17 years of Knowlwood, was charged with unlawfully wounding her husband, SAMUEL HARDMAN, stripper and grinder. On Monday night, complainant went home to supper at half-past six, when his wife said she would not make anything for him. He fetched the bread, and she would not cut it, but struck him on the thumb with the table knife. He went to the tap to wash the blood off, when she threw the poker and a loaf tin at him, and as he was going out, she threw the draw-plate at him, which cut his breast and chin.

He denied that he had charged her with being intimate with a young man in the mill. He did not knock her down. Her father and brother had threatened his life. The wife's statement was that she had never struck her husband with the knife. He asked her who that man was whom she was intimate with in the mill, and knocked her down three times before she threw the draw-plate, he put his hand behind his head, and the draw-plate struck it and cut it.

She called ELIZABETH GREENWOOD, who supported this statement. P.S. Barnett, said he was fetched about eight o'clock on Monday night and found the draw-plate outside the door, and a knife stained with blood on the floor.

The prisoner was sent to gaol for one month, with hard labour.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 16th October 1875

County Court

At this Court on Monday, the following cases were disposed of :- JOHN VEEVERS recovered £1-11s-7d from JOHN GLYNN, fustian cutter, for carriage of goods.

RICHARD GREENWOOD, farmer, claimed 5s-8d for damage caused by sheep belonging to defendant (THOMAS HELLIWELL) for trespassing on his meadow land. The claim was considered to be proved, and an order made for the amount.

Caught at Last

At the Magistrates Office, on Tuesday, ELIZABETH MARTIN, a fustian cutter, of Eastwood was charged with being drunk in Stansfield on the 24th day of July last. For some time she has been evading the police. A penalty of 5s with 14s-4d costs was inflicted.

Petty Sessions Thursday

BARKER CROSSLEY of Walsden appeared on an adjourned charge against him of travelling on the railway from Burnley to Todmorden in a 2nd class carriage with a 3rd class ticket. The defence was that there was such a hurry at Burnley Station that he got in the first carriage he could. The bench imposed a penalty of 10s.

An order of protection was granted to SARAH ANN STELL of Willow Bank, against her husband, who had deserted her.

CHARLES HENRY BEAN of Lydgate, was sentenced to one month's hard labour, for having savagely assaulted his step-father SAMUEL HAMPSON, on Saturday night last.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 23rd October 1875

At the Town Hall on Monday, WILLIAM LUMB of Little Knowl Terrace was sent to prison for two months for having assaulted his son, six years old.

On Wednesday, JOSEPH FIRTH, of Wellington Road, was sent for three months, for being drunk and assaulting his father.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 30th October 1875

Sudden Death

On Monday morning, an aged man called PARKER, who was employed by Mr. ORMEROD TAYLOR, senr, drysalter, Walsden, as cow-man, suddenly died. The old man was milking a cow, when he fell from the stool and expired in a very short time.

Petty Sessions Thursday

JOHN JACKSON of the Greyhound Inn, was fined 20s, for having sold liquor during illegal hours.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 13th November 1875

Rascal Served Right

At the Town Hall, on Saturday, JOSEPH SCHOLFIELD, a chimney sweep from Thornton, but who has been working at Bacup for the last 5 or 6 weeks, was charged with having attempted to commit a rape upon MARY CLEGG of Priestbooth, Dulesgate, whom he met coming from Owler Carr Mill. He was committed to the assizes for trial.

Petty Sessions Thursday

A charge of obtaining money under false pretences, laid against one JOHN RYDER, was adjourned for a month.

WILLIAM DEWHIRST, landlord of the White Lion, Shade, was fined 10s for being drunk.

WILLIAM SUNDERLAND of Warcock Hill, charged AMOS GREENWOOD, farmer, with having assaulted him on the 27 th ult, as he was driving some pigs past his house. Fined 40s and 30s costs.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 20th November 1875


At Todmorden, on Monday, ROBERT OGDEN, whitesmith, of Lobmill, was charged with assaulting HENRY and SARAH TAYLOR, tramps, of Ashton under Lyne, on the 12th instant, near Stansfield Mill, as they were going in the direction of Halifax, and was fined £1 in each case, with 10s-10d expenses, or one month.

JOSEPH PERRY, tailor, was charged with assaulting his wife, on the 10th inst at Todmorden and Walsden, and was sent to hard labour for one month.

WILLIAM BARRETT, butcher, of Oak Cottage, Todmorden, was charged with being guilty of disorderly conduct on Sunday night last, in the streets at Hebden Bridge, and conducting himself very violently in the police office after his apprehension. A certificate having been given by Dr. Thorp, he was ordered to be removed to Wakefield asylum.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 27th November 1875

Police Court

On Monday at the Town Hall, THOMAS SUTCLIFFE, scutcher of Gauxholme, was sent to prison for one month, for having been drunk, and threatening to hang himself.

JOHN AINSWORTH of Walsden was fined 6s for being drunk. He fell into the water-course and was nearly drowned.

County Court

On Monday, at the County Court, HENRY FRANKS of the White Hart Hotel, Todmorden, sued JONATHAN GLEDHILL of Todmorden for 17s on a transaction in shares of the Todmorden Carriage Company Limited. Plaintiff had paid 5s per share on application money for 35 shares in the company, and then signed a transfer to the defendant. A verdict of 23s was given

MARK STEER recovered 10s as wages from Messrs Maden and Hoyle-

A long trial ensued in the case of Messrs LORD BROTHERS v the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company Limited. It was an action to recover damages for delay in delivery of goods, delay in delivery of a banker's draft, and injury to two large grindstones and a waggon. The Judge reserved his judgement.

ABRAHAM BARKER a farmer of near Cross Stone, sued HENRY LANGSTRETH butcher of Todmorden, for £4-15s-6d the price of two fat lambs and a sheep, sold July before last. Judgement for the plaintiff for the balance (£1-12s-6d) with costs, including 16s for himself and witnesses.

Petty Sessions

WILLIAM GREENWOOD of Holebottom and JOHN FISHWICK of Lobmill, were charged with being drunk and disorderly on the 3rd November. P.C. Bradley found them at two o'clock in the morning in Cross Street, very drunk, they were in company with WILLIAM BARRETT, and went into a field in his occupation, where the two defendants began to fight, Barritt encouraging them, and cracking a whip about them. Each was fined 10s.

JOSEPH THOMAS, labourer of Castle Street, was charged with having assaulted and beaten his wife, MARY ANN, on Monday evening, a little before twelve o'clock. She called her son who supported her statement, and added that his father kept 'braying' and singing all the night, and kept getting into bed with his clothes and shoes on. He was sent to prison for three months, with hard labour.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 11th December 1875

Serious Charge

On Saturday at the Magistrate's office, Town Hall, DAVID BOOTH, bailiff, of Burnley Road, near Burnley, (acting under instructions in the execution of a bill of sale from Messrs. Rawcliffe and Maudesley, auctioneers of Burnley and elsewhere) was charged with stealing 1s-3d in money, eleven half-penny postage cards, and two penny stamps, the moneys, good and chattels of SAMUEL FIELDEN, manufacturer, Clough Mills, Walsden, on the 30th November last. The case occupied a long time in the hearing, and resulted in the defendant being committed for trial, but admitted to bail.

Man Killed on the Railway Line

On Monday an inquest was held at the Railway Hotel, on the body of JOHN DUFFIELD, who was killed in Winterbutlee tunnel, on Saturday morning. JAMES STANSFIELD, platelayer, said he saw the deceased as he was walking through the tunnel about 12 o'clock. At half past one, he found him laid with his head smashed to pieces, about 100 yards from the Todmorden end. Deceased was sober when he saw him last. He walked through the tunnel to avoid going round about 100 yards. TOM LAW, assistant inspector, said he was in the express train that passed through the tunnel about two minutes past 12 o'clock.

Mr. UTTLEY, Inspector, was in the same train, and remarked that someone had got hurt. He got out of the train and examined the engine, and found that the coupling chain had made an indentation on the edge of the buffer blank. He also noticed marks of cord on the engine, which corresponded with the cord trousers which the deceased wore at the time of the accident, the lever of the ashpan had been struck out of position by having come into contact with something. He had questioned the engine driver, and said he felt the shock. Verdict - accidentally killed.

Petty Sessions

WILLIAM INGHAM, farmer, of Mankinholes, and JOHN HOLDSWORTH of Eastlee, were each fined £5 for not having given notice of the evidence of foot and mouth disease on their farms.

Two lads, named WILLIAM and ORLANDO WHIPP of Shade, were charged with assaulting BENJAMIN ASHWORTH of Bridge End. It was stated that in the neighbourhood of Shade lads were in the habit of insulting and assaulting persons passing, and the complainant had for some time been subject to a deal of insult by these lads. The bench imposed a penalty of 5s and 18s costs.

SA WHITHAM, of Beanhole, Stansfield, appeared to answer a charge of having neglected to have a child of his, aged two years, vaccinated. The bench ordered the defendant to have his child vaccinated within 10 days, or fresh proceedings would be taken against him.

HALIFAX GUARDIAN 24th December 1875

County Court

At this court on Monday, his Honour gave judgement in the case of Messrs. Lord Bros. v the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company. The verdict was in favour of the plaintiffs for the full amount sought.

Warwick Assizes

On Saturday, WILLIAM SHACKLETON, watchmaker, formerly of Todmorden, was sentenced to seven years penal servitude for coining.

Boy Drowned from Pexwood

On Monday an inquiry was held at the Navigation Inn, on the body of FRED HAZELTINE, aged 12 years, the son of WILLIAM HAZELTINE, dry waller, of Pexwood, who was found drowned in the Rochdale Canal on Saturday morning. He had fallen into the water in the dark, whilst walking home. Verdict - Accidentally drowned.