Lord was born to Charles and Sarah Lord around 1818, one of seven
children who all grew up in the Shade area of Todmorden. His first
job was as a weft packer and by 1850, he had married Ann Heyworth,
a girl from a family of stonemasons at Swineshead.
House and crossing
1851 they had moved to Clough, Walsden, with a son Charles
aged one, where James ran a beerhouse. It
was situated near to the stationmaster's house. He, amongst
other jobs, would operate the level crossing gates at the
end of the lane before the bridge was built.
family grew and with seven children to feed by 1861, he would need
every penny he could earn, so as well as the beerhouse, he became
a banksman for a coal proprietor.
that is when the germ of an idea began to form of owning his own
hotel. He continued in the beerhouse trade and also working as a
coal merchant, helped by his son Charles, but by 1873, he had realised
his ambition, had built, and was running the Railway Hotel at Walsden.
This pub was to stay in the family for nearly 40 years.
building was large and had three floors, with an imposing
front door and a side entrance. Situated
across from the station, and on the main road between Walsden
and Todmorden, it occupied a prime position and was a proud
achievement for a man who had started his working life in
the cotton mill.
Hotel, across the road from Walsden station
became known by the nickname of "Fisherman", but why is not clear.
Sadly, he did not live long to enjoy his new life as he died in
1874, leaving his wife and son Charles in charge of the pub.
was born in 1850 and he married Alice Ann Haigh, daughter of Joseph
and Sarah who had lived at the Moorcock Inn on Inchfield Moor. Alice's
grandfather was Reuben Haigh who kept the Moorcock and Alice would
be no stranger to pub life. Her immediate family was mostly involved
in the coal mining industry, so maybe that is how she met Charles
as she had moved down to live at Clough by 1870.
married in 1875 and had seven children. By 1881, Charles was the
landlord of the Railway and still a coal merchant, but change was
on the way. Charles left the
Railway by 1888 and in 1901, he was the landlord of the Old Robin
Hood in Lever St., Bolton. It was a large establishment and he was
helped by three of his children. Charles
died in 1902 and Alice in 1915.
brother, James Lord, became the landlord in 1888. He had
started his married life in nearby Montreal Street, working
as a coal agent. His wife was Selina Uttley, the daughter
of John Uttley, who kept the Woodcock Inn at Warland. Selina's
family was also involved further in the licensing trade
with her brother Michael at the Rose and Crown at Castle,
and her married sister Betsy at the Jubilee Inn at Crompton.
and Selina married in 1877 and bought the Railway in 1888 with some
financial help from Boddington's Brewery. It appears that at some
point James sold the pub back to the brewery for £5.000 but
stayed on as the tenant, so keeping the pub in the same family.
and his family of six children removed from the Railway after 1893,
having decided that a more lucrative trade was to be had near Blackpool
when an opportunity arose for him and his family of six children,
which was too good to turn down. Three of their children had died
in childhood and the others would have a better life in the clean,
clear air of the countryside, free from the pollution of the mills.
Blackpool was a popular place
and more people were travelling for holidays there, so when
a pub called the Castle Gardens at Carleton, near Poulton,
became available, it became James and his family's next home
and place of work. It
was in a rural spot, but its appeal was just that.
would have been a nice outing for the holidaymakers at Blackpool
to drive into the surrounding countryside, take a meal or refreshment
and generally have a good day out. A welcome diversion when they
tired of the pleasures to be had in Blackpool.
Railway continued in the hands of the same family, being taken over
by Charles William Lord, cousin of James and Charles, the two previous
owners, and son of Moses Lord, the brother of the original owner,
James Lord. Charles William
was one of six children born to Moses and Jane. He married Elizabeth
Ann Hollinrake in 1890, and they set up home in Beech Street, but
she died a year later and he then went to live with is father in
Alma Street. In 1897, he married
again, to a lady from Shropshire, Eliza Gittins. Together they took
over the Railway Hotel until Charles died in 1902 aged only 37.
Charles' spinster sisters,
Annie and twins Jane and Betsy were at 10, Toronto St in 1901,
and Annie and Betsy were running a bakery and confectionary
business whilst Jane worked as a weaver. Toronto
Street is still there today at the back of Rochdale Road and
fronting onto the railway.
the death of Charles William, Sutcliffe Fielden became the licensee
of the Railway and must have had connections to the Lord family
as he is buried in the same grave at Christ Church as Charles William,
the previous landlord, and his first wife Elizabeth Ann. He
had also lived next door to Charles and his family in Alma Street
in earlier times.
was born around 1870, the son of William and Hannah, and was raised
in the Shade area along with his eight siblings. Eventually
they moved to Alma St, just round the corner from the Railway. He
became a mill worker when he left school, like most of his family,
and after his father died in 1900, he continued to live with his
mother in Alma Street and had employment at the railway as a porter.
Maybe he worked at his local station, across the road from where
he lived. His brother Walter
had also left the mill and done well for himself by becoming a house
painter and employing workers in his business.
got the opportunity to become the landlord of the Railway after
the death of Charles William in 1902 when he left his job on the
railway and took over the licence. He
stayed there until he died in 1912 aged 41, so ending the family
connection with the pub after nearly 40 years.
the Lord family's occupancy of the pub, a few notable events took
place. The usual bet of running
from a certain place to another in under a certain time was again
put to the test. A Whitworth man wagered 10 shillings in July 1882
that he could go to Stoodley Pike and back from the Railway Hotel
in 1 hour. He did it in 8 minutes under.
the 20th February 1886, a mule spinner named Thomas Gill, a man
of 49 who lived at School St., Shade, had been attending his club
in an upstairs room at the hotel, when he fell down the stairs and
died on the 23rd form his injuries. With
unforgiving stone steps and flag floors, his fall would have been
a hard one and as in other such cases proved fatal.
August 1891, a meeting was held for horsemen of all description,
called to form a branch of the Manchester, Salford and District
Lurrymen and Carter's Union. They obviously though that with amount
of carters and the like in the area, they needed to be affiliated
to a union, with the protection and benefits they would gain from
special presentation took place in 1902, to John Crossley, who had
been an overlooker at the nearby Hollins Mill and had recently retired.
The spinners of the mill presented him with a marble clock with
the inscription " Presented to Mr. John Crossley, by spinners of
Hollins Mill, January 25th 1902".
the Lord family connection with the pub ended, another phase started
in the life of the Railway with Willie Taylor who was followed by
Arthur Brooks. Harry Green is also a well-remembered landlord for
his exploits with an open-sided car he bought, nicknamed the "Pneumonia
Wagon" by the pub regulars. He would take a car load of the
regulars on a trip round the various neighbourhood pubs and beerhouses
in the car, many of them clinging on to the sides for saftety, and
others having to alight to push the car up the hills.
A succession of landlords followed,
each bringing their own brand of hospitality to the pub, but
time was finally called in 1969 when it closed and stayed
empty until Tony Pollard bought the building in 1973, exactly
100 years after James Lord had pulled the first pint. Tony
converted the building into flats, but kept the original structure,
leaving it to be seen as it was first built.