Sun Inn is situated on Sun Brew, on the left hand side of the road
travelling towards Littleborough from Walsden. This road was made
around 1781 and it seems possible that the Sun Inn was there from
that time. An ideal spot for a wayside spot of refreshment.
first recorded keeper is William Fielden, who was the son of John
Fielden of Hollingworth. William had four children, two sons and
two daughters. The eldest of his sons, William jnr. later became
a teacher at the school at Lanebottom. He became known as Little
Billy. Abraham, the youngest son of William took over the running
of the pub from his father before 1825. The
Fielden family had left by 1834 when Ogden Mitchell took over.
Mitchell was a local man, born in Bottoms about 1794 and whose father
had built the Waggon and Horse at Bottoms. He had married by 1817
and had eight children. By 1832, he had become a Deputy Constable
and in 1834, he left the area to keep a beer shop at Mount Pleasant
in Calderbrook. He left Mount Pleasant in 1834 when he and his wife
took over at the Sun Inn, at Walsden.
backed onto fields, with the railway in between it and the
canal. There used to be a small farm attached to the pub,
but the upheaval caused when the railway was made during the
1830's caused major disruption to the farmland. Today the
area is overgrown with grass and weeds.
Ogden's daughter Susan married Zachariah Jackson of Lanebottom
and she and Zach went on to be the lock keepers at East Summit
Lock, known as Longlees, for a great number of years.
youngest son, also named Ogden, born around 1831, followed in his
father's footsteps in the licensing trade in later years by becoming
the landlord at the family pub, the Waggon and Horses at Bottoms.
was whilst Ogden was in charge, that John Marland built his roller
making works on part of the land that used be the farm, so some
compensation was to be had from that loss of income, as there would
be an increase in trade from the workers, who would make good use
of a pub on their doorstep.
was to strike as Ogden's wife, Mally, died in November 1841, but
Ogden married again in 1843 to a widow named Hannah Taylor. He then
left the Sun Inn and went to farm at Sladen in Calderbrook. He later
came back to his roots at Lanebottom and died there in 1872.
next family to live in the Sun Inn were Susan Howarth and her husband
Thomas Law. Susan had kept the Cherry Tree, during the 1830's, which
was a beer house that stood at the bottom of Allescholes Road catering
for the needs of the influx of labour when the railway was constructed.
The Cherry Tree did not last for long and after Sue left, it was
knocked down and a farmhouse was built in its place, known as Moverley
went by the name of "Sue Poppit" and was the daughter of Samuel
and Sally Howarth of Stennerbottom and Naze. She was born around
1801 and had been the long time sweetheart of Thomas Law from the
1820's. They had six children before they married, all taking their
mother's name of Howarth. In 1843, they decided to marry and were
at the time running another beer house at Newbridge. Thomas had
come from Lighthazels in Calderbrook, and he and Susan would likely
have known each other all their lives. Childhood sweethearts in
the true sense of the word.
then removed to the Sun Inn where they remained until April of 1850
when they packed their bags and went to take on the Viaduct Tavern
at Gauxholme. Susan died there in 1853 and Thomas died twenty years
later in 1873.
Haigh became the landlord straight after the "Poppits". William's
father Reuben had run the Moorcock up on Inchfield Moor, and William
had married a publican's daughter and had run a couple of pubs before
coming to the Sun, so he was no stranger to pub life. His full story
can be read HERE.
He did not stay long and had left by 1853 when two more
licensees are noted before widow Maria Eastwood took over. They
were J. Crossley and then a Mrs. Earnshaw.
Eastwood was a widow of 43 when she moved to the Sun Inn in May
of 1859. Her husband William had died in 1857 at Sourhall, where
he and Maria had kept a beer house. It was probably the only way
of making a living that she could turn her hand to, and with 8 children
at home she needed to find a means of making some money. All but
three of the children were working, so things were not too bad and
they too would soon be marrying and off her hands.
was a Ratcliffe before her marriage to William Eastwood and had
spent all her life in the Sourhall area. It would have been a big
change for her, coming down to the valley bottom, but needs must.
Whilst she was at the Sun, she met William Newell of Strines, a
quarryman, and they were married in 1865, William being a good many
years her junior. Maria kept on running the pub whilst William went
out to work in the stone quarry. With William working and two of
her sons, Peter and William, both in work, single and at living
at home, presumably tipping up their wages, the family would not
be badly off. Her sons were obviously loath to leave home, both
were in their 30's, but after all they had everything they wanted
there, beer on tap and a mother to look after their cooking, cleaning
and washing, so they were in no hurry to leave. Maria's thoughts
of getting them off her hands were dashed. William did eventually
marry and move on, whilst Peter died at the comparatively young
age of 44 in 1893.
money coming in and Maria not getting any younger, she was able
to employ a girl to help with the work. She
died in 1885, still at the Sun Inn, and is buried at St. Peter's,
Walsden with her Eastwood family.
Greenwood is the next landlord and he was born in Cliviger around
1858. His father Thomas had been the publican at the pub called
the Woodcock at Warland, just a little bit further down the road
towards Littleborough. Daniel married a widow, Mally Hollinrake,
in 1883 and by a strange quirk of fate, she was the granddaughter
of one of the previous landlords, Ogden Mitchell. She was the daughter
of Susan Mitchell who had married Zachariah Jackson, and she was
previously married to Joseph Hollinrake who died in 1874. Therefore,
in a way, the pub had come full circle.
Daniel's time, at the end of May 1894, Messrs. Wm. Swift and Co.,
auctioneers from Rochdale, offered the pub up for sale at the White
Hart Hotel. It was in an extensive sale of property under an order
from the trustees of the late Dr. Taylor, formerly of Todmorden
Hall, and The Sun Inn was amongst the twelve lots. Mr. Stonex bought
it for £915. Mr. Stonex appears to have been an estate agent
and he bought the freehold ground rents on three other properties.
and Mally continued as the publicans and Mally died in 1897. Daniel
carried on at the Sun at least until after 1901. At that time he
employed a house servant called Sarah Mitchell aged 50 and single.
Maybe she was also one of the family of Mitchell's whose name seems
to crop up as having connections with nearly every pub in Walsden
and some in Todmorden.
more keepers are noted after Daniel and Mally: Richard Halstead
in 1917, and Sarah A. Halstead in 1922. Maybe Sarah was the widow
else has been recorded about the pub, and it is now a private
house, still in it's original place on the main road from
Walsden to Littleborough and looking little changed from what
it was in previous times.
the side of the house are some well-worn steps that form part
of a public footpath and are used to get to the canal. It
is nice to reflect, as you are using them, of the many feet
that must have trod these steps over the years. Today we use
them to gain access to the countryside and the lovely walks
in the area, but in previous times they would have been used
to get to work and maybe a short cut home along the canal
after a hard day's labour. If you listen carefully, you will
probably be able to hear the clatter of clogs echoing down
through the years.
BACK TO TOP