Part of the Acorn Archive
Hearts of Oak
Athel Line Ships
2 ships of this name
Built 1926 Furness SB. Co, Haverton Hill-on-Tees.
471ft 3ins x 62ft 5ins
screw, 10½ knots
"an old ship engaged in the trans-Atlantic trade, which was fitted out to refuel convoy escorts, while underway, and also replenish their depth charges".
1940 2304 hrs 11th June, U-46 reported torpedo hit on Athelprince; damaged position 43.42N 13.20W.
1941 06.27hrs 29th March U-48 attacked convoy HX-115 off Cape Finisterre - Schultze claimed a tanker sunk. The Athelprince was not, in fact, hit.
In June 1942, the Athelprince picked up 23 survivors from the HARDWICKE GRANGE, which had been sunk by U-129 12th June north of Puerto Rico, and landed them at Nuevitas, Cuba.
scrapped at Faslane.
Collection Raul Maya (Montevideo)
Built 1959 by Caledon SB & Eng. Co, Dundee.
For Athel Line Ltd
496ft x 69ft 5ins
1966 transferred to Sugar Line Ltd, renamed SUGAR IMPORTER.
1976 sold to Inter Bulkers Inc, Panama renamed LUCKY IMPORTER.
Later recorded as 11,687 grt
1980 Renamed NIKOLAOS K owned by Nicolaos Shipping Co, Greece
1983 Renamed BANAHAW owned by breakers Dong Kuk Steel Mill Co.Ltd.
1983 Broken up
Photograph by Joe McMillan