Basil Forward’s CRS10
Other Ships : A-L
2,117 grt; arch deck steam cargo ship
Built 1924 Burntisland SB. Co. Ltd, Burntisland; Yard Nr 132
For Grahamston Shipping Co Ltd [T L Duff & Co], Glasgow.
the CARLBEATH was involved in a daring rescue as follows:
“The People’s Journal” dated Saturday, November 27, 1926.
The collier Carlbeath, Captain William McCreadie, sailing from Rotterdam to Marseilles, received a cryptic message in German, wirelessed from a tug, which had been towing the schooner Anne Marie, bound forHamburg from London, but could not approach sufficiently near to save the crew. The message
read – “Schooner Anne Marie, auf 5119 West, 27 E. in senot dix.” In a raging gale, the Carlbeath ran to the windward within six inches of the stern of the Anne Marie, and all the Germans, six men and one boy (five Germans, one Swede and one Austrian), were able to jump to safety. Eloquent testimony to the magnificient seamanship of Captain McCreadie was paid by Baron A D Benno von Stulpnagel, who was the owner of the lost schooner, and was serving on the ship in the capacity of second mate. The Baron is a former District Commissioner of German East Africa and Aide-de Camp to Field-Marshal Von Hindenburg during the First World War. Captain McCreadie received the following telegram from the German Chargé D’Affaires in London; “Please receive sincerest thanks for your heroic action in saving lives of my countrymen in most difficult circumstances. Shall report the matter to my government on receipt of further news.”
1937 Guardian Line Ltd [C.A. Roberts], Glasgow; Renamed MACBRAE
1941 Hudson SS Co. Ltd, London
1949 J.B. Shipping Co Ltd [H.P. Marshall & Co. Ltd], London; Renamed AYTON
1956 Cia Isla de Oro Ltd, Panama; Renamed ANGE
1958 Mediterranean Shipping Co, Panama; Renamed ALCYONE
On fire and stranded, 24 August 1958 near Cape Sidheros, Crete, on voyage Split to Aden with cement. Refloated 28 August and towed to Piraeus.
Declared a total loss and sold for demolition 1961.
Built 1943 S P Austin & Son Ltd, Sunderland.
For Stephenson Clarke
2,760 grt; 1,533 nrt; 311.4 ft x 44.5 ft x 19.3 ft
1946 Coastwise Collier Ltd, London (Mgrs: Wm. France Fenwick & Co);
1949 Repurchased by Stephenson Clarke; Renamed BOWCOMBE.
1966 Sold to Skrot & Avfailsprodukter;
Converted into a lighter for Torsten Johannisson, Sweden.
2,822 grt; steam collier
Built 1929 Cowpen Drydock Co, Blyth; Yard Nr 245
For Wm Cory & Son Ltd, London
1941, 29th April; Damaged in Air Attack. See below.
1955 St Michaels Corp; Renamed MICHAEL A
1961 Tamis SA, Liberia; renamed CAPETAN ANDREAS
1962 Siconen Shipping SA, Liberia
Arrived at Ferrol, Spain, 15th March 1966 for demolition
North Sea Air Raids : 24th to 29th April 1941
He-115 3./K.Fl.Gr.506 and Ju-88 1./K.Fl.Gr.506.
24th Sinking BOLIUS (5507 BRT) East of Dundee.
26th Sinking PATIA (5355 BRT) off Sunderland.
28th Sinking MARIE DAWN (2157 BRT) East of Dundee
28th Damage to EMPIRE STRAIT (2324 BRT) off Great Yarmouth
29th Attack on a convoy off the mouth of the Tyne
Sinking KALUA (722 BRT)
Damage to CORGLEN (2822 BRT)
Heavy Damage to Norwegian ASKELADDEN (2498 BRT).
General cargo vessel
Built 1933 Furness Shipbuilding Co. Ltd, Haverton Hill, Middlesbrough
For Reardon Smith Line Ltd, Bideford.
4,928 grt; 442 ft x 56 ft x 25 ft
Diesel engine, single shaft; 12 knots
1958 Maritime and Industrial Corp, Liberia; Renamed CINDERELLA
1965 Cheyenee Cia. Nav. SA, Liberia; Renamed OINOUSSAI
28the August 1967 Wrecked 35 miles north of the mouth of the Orange River, South West Africa, in position 28.08N : 15.50E, while on voyage from the Philippines to Europe.
Reference REARDON SMITH LINE by Paul Heaton.
Cargo Vessel; 12 Passengers
9,952 grt; 497.1 ft x 64.3 ft x 29.8 ft; 15 knots
Built 1945 Lithgow's, Port Glasgow Yard Nr 999
Engines by Barclay Curle & Co Ltd Glasgow
For Anchor Line, Glasgow; Registered Leith
1935 Anchor Line put into liquidation. Bought by Runciman (London) Ltd.
1960 Cunard joined Anchor. The company name Anchor Line Ltd.
1962 BENHOPE, Ben Line E.G. Thomson (Shipping) Ltd., Leith,
1972 Scrapped Kaohsiung
Built 1931 NV Scheepsbouwerf, Gebroeder Pot, Bolnes, Netherlands
as the MV MARABOE; Yard Nr 843
For NV Motorship Maraboe, Rotterdam.
Launched Friday, 13th November 1931.
Engines comp 6cyl SA oil; Motorenfabrikr Deutz AG, Koln Deutz; 9 knots
151.5 ft x 26.5 ft; 511 grt; 245 nrt; 670 dwt.
ON 165074; Signal Letters MMMY.
1936 W A Wilson, Southampton; Renamed NGARUA.
1937 James Fisher & Sons Ltd, Barrow-in-Furness;
Renamed LOCH FISHER.
1946 T Bagley & Co, Middlesborough; Renamed ROXTON.
1949 Rix Shipping Co Ltd, Hull; Renamed KENRIX.
1951 Engines replaced with reconditioned 3 cylinder 4SCSA oil engine;
(Built 1938 Humboldt-Deutz Motoren A.G, Germany).
1958 C D & C Ventouris Brothers & N Diakos, Piraeus, Greece;
10th November 1963 : Sank off Dago Island, Baltic; crew were picked up by the Russian salvage vessel, HERMES and landed at Tallinn.
She suffered many mishaps in her 32 years,
reflecting upon her Friday the 13th launch.
For her full story go to …
4825 grt; Steam cargo ship
Built 1937 Bartram & Sons Ltd, Sunderland
For Evan Thomas Radcliffe & Co
1938 Wimborne SS Co Ltd
1951 Bornhofen, Hamburg; Renamed MAX BORNHOFEN
1951 Robert Bornhofen, Germany
1959 San Anastassias Cia Ltd, Costa Rica; Renamed ANASTASSIOS
10th July 1959 Arrived Ghent, Belgium,
for demolition by Van Heyghen Freres.
Thanks to Jim McCreadie for the report on the CARLBEATH