Part of the Acorn Archive

Hearts of Oak




Visitors to Mount’s Bay


The first recorded Royal Visit was in 1661.

Catherine de Braganza, Queen of Charles II, came

to Mount’s Bay and her ship was anchored in Gwavas Lake.

Local records show that the sum of £7, 2 shillings and 6 pence

was expended at the coming of the Queen.


In 1846, Mount’s Bay was honoured by the visit of

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.


was accompanied by FAIRY, BLACK EAGLE and GARLAND.



The Times 9th September 1846

Her Majesty's Cruize (sic)

Falmouth September 7

Her Majesty, with the steamer squadron, on Saturday  proceeded to Mount's Bay, and there remained until yesterday; the Queen privately landed and walked over St Michael's Mount, whilst the Prince at an earlier period went on shore on the new quay erecting at Penzance, and visited the tin smelting house of Messrs Bolitho at Chyandour, and the geological rooms in the heart of the town, soon after which his Royal Highness re-embarked. It appears from some reason or other the trip to Scilly was abandoned, and the GARLAND steamer, with Colonel Anson, was despatched to the islands early yesterday morning, to notify some gracious communication from the Sovereign ( the nature of which has not transpired) and for letters and despatches lying there.

Yesterday afternoon the squadron got under weigh (sic), and returned to this port as previously arranged, and it is said that en voyage the Queen, Prince, and two children, accompanied by Mr Taylor, of the Duchy Office, landed on the beach at Kynance Cove, a locality near the Lizard, much celebrated in Cornish history for its local features and romantic attraction, and remained there for some time picking up shells and other natural curiosities. At half past 6 last evening the yachts again entered the harbour of Falmouth, under the repetition of salutes, and anchored in Carrick Roads, the GARLAND returning from Scilly a few hours subsequently.


Judging by the state of the sea in the illustrations made, it is no small wonder that the Royal party declined to continue to the Isles of Scilly; if the Bay was in this condition, it would have been far worse out between the Wolf and the Islands.




Steam Yacht; Timber hull; 200 ft x 33 ft; 1,034 tons

Launched 26th April 1843 Pembroke

Engines twin direct-acting; 430 hp; 11 knots

1854 Following the death of Prince Albert, she was renamed OSBORNE

1868 Broken up




Ship sinks Mine

Originally opened c1720 and abandoned, Wherry Mine was re-opened in 1778 by Thomas Curtis of Breage. The mine was out beyond the high tide mark by 240 yards. In 1793 a pier was constructed, with a sea defence of 20 feet high and the mine was built. The work of cutting the shaft was made difficult by the fact that the rock is blue elvan (a quartz feldspar porphyry), an extremely hard and solid rock, which is formed as a “sheet” or dome over most of the bed of Mount’s Bay. The mine was quite productive and profitable ( a total income of £70,000 was raised ), but the mine was destroyed in 1798 when a visiting American ship broke free in a storm from its anchorage in Gwavas Lake, and smashed into the mine, demolishing the trestles and coffer. It is a statistical probability that Wherry mine was the only mine ever to have been destroyed by a ship.









Photographs taken by my aunt,

on an old Ensign box camera.

5th August 1952 of the USS MELVIN

For more information on Melvin go to






Raymond Forward