STEUBEN COUNTY, New York
Retyped by George E. Sawyer April 2000
The following is taken from the Historical Gazetteer of Steuben County, compiled and edited by Millard F. Roberts, and Published in 1891. I hope everyone finds this to be enlightening and beneficial. I have rearranged the names in the biographical section so that they are more alphabetical than in the original manuscript.
Town of Troupsburgh
Troupsburgh is situated upon the south border of the county, west of the center, and is bounded north by Jasper, east by Woodhull, south by the state of Pennsylvania and west by West Union. It was named in honor of Robert Troup, agent for the Pulteney estate. The town was formed from Middletown - now Addison - and Canisteo, February 12,1808. It was reduced somewhat in territory in 1827 by taking off parts of Greenwood and Jasper, and in 1828 it was still further reduced by annexing a part to Woodhull. A Portion of Canisteo was annexed in 1818. The soil is a slaty and clayey loam. The surface of the town consists principally of a hilly upland, broken by the deep valleys of small streams, the principal of which is Troups creek, flowing south. The highest summits are two thousand and five hundred feet above the sea, and are the most elevated portions of the county. The population of Troupsburgh in 1890 was 2,165.
Early Settlement. - The first settlement was made in this town by Samuel Rice, who was also the pioneer of the town of Addison. Mr. Rice located a little east of the center of the township as now formed, in 1805. Orren Kittle and his brother Ephraim, came from Broome County at a very early day, and settled here. His daughter, Sally Kittle is said to have been the first white child born in the town. This honor is also claimed for Polly Young. Peter Young and Peter Dolson from Addison, settled near Mr. Rice in 1806. Lieutenant Reynolds and Jonathan Rogers settled at the same place in 1809, George Martin in 1810, and James Works in 1811. Samuel Cady was an early settler.
TROUPSBURGH CENTER is located on Troup's Creek near the geographical center of the town of Troupsburg. It contains two churches, (Baptist and M. E.) a graded school, five general stores, a cheese factory; two saw and feed mills, three blacksmith shops, a wagon shop, one hotel and forty dwellings. It receives a daily mail via Knoxville, PA, and a tri-weekly mail from Addison via Woodhull.
HIGHUP Post office was established October 1, 1885, with S. Wyckoff first postmaster. The first office established here was called West Troupsburgh, which was abolished, and the people of that section were for some years without a post office nearer than Troupsburgh or Rexville. The name is appropriate, for in this vicinity is the most elevated section of Steuben County. A mail is received on Tuesdays and Saturdays from Canisteo.
Baptist Church - The first steps were taken toward organizing a church, May 5, 1835 at a meeting of the surrounding Baptist churches, in a conference held at the house of Rufus Fuller. Rev. Edward Murdock acted as moderator, and Rufus Fuller was elected clerk. Some years later meetings were held in the eastern part of the town in what is known as the "Chenango Settlement," from the fact that many of the settlers there were from Chenango County. Services were held at the house of John S. Miller and others, until 1839, when the schoolhouse was built in District No. 4, and occupied by the society. April 7, 1855 the East Troupsburgh Baptist Church was organized. A church was built in the "Chenango settlement" at a cost of $3,000 and dedicated November 4, 1875.
Rev. Mr. Wade preached at the schoolhouse at Troupsburg Center as early as 1844. This society also built a church which was dedicated June 3, 1874. The value of the church property is about $2,500. Present membership is one hundred and forty-one.
Free-Will Baptist Church- This society was organized in 1850, since which time services have been held in various parts of the town.
Methodist Episcopal Church- A class was formed in 1819, under the leadership of Uzal McMindes. This society secured the "Gospel Lot" of one hundred acres from the Pulteney estate, being the first organized church in this town. A church was built at a cost of $5,000 in 1872 and dedicated December 29 the same year.
A class was organized in the Chenango settlement in 1846, and Henry Bates made leader. During the pastorate of Rev. E. B. Thomas a church was built at an expense of $2,000.
Troupsburg Cheese Factory-Built in 1865 has been under the management of the present proprietor, James McKinley since 1885. Mr. McKinley manufactures nothing but full cream cheese. The factory is equipped with all the modern appliances and turns out about twelve cheeses a day of an average weight of sixty pounds. It is located at the Center, near Troup's Creek.
Sanford & Gleason's Planing, Matching, Shingle and Feed Mill - is located on North Street in Troupsburgh, and was built by the above firm in the fall of 1888. It is furnished with a fifteen horse power engine. Its capacity for grinding is two hundred bushels a day. This firm also deals in lumber.
Healey's Saw and Feed Mill - Located on Troup's Creek at Troupsburgh, was built in 1885 upon the site of one which was destroyed by fire. It has an engine of twenty-four horsepower, and a capacity for sawing 10,000 feet in ten hours.
Baley's Saw Mill - It was built by Thomas Baley, and was run for many years by waterpower. It was since enlarged by his sons, who put in modern machinery, with a steam engine. It has facilities for sawing, planing, and making shingles and material for grape baskets. The mill is located at Young Hickory.
Robert Troup started to build a mill on the creek below Fenton's in 1816, procured timber, mill-stones, mill crank, etc., but some one in the interest of opposing parties who owned a mill in Addison, it is said, came by night and stole the crank, and the project of erecting a mill here was abandoned.
Samuel Ackley came from Otsego County in 1845 and settled on his present farm. His wife was Charity Brightman by whom he had five children, namely: Hannah, Henry, Solomon, Samuel Jr. and William. Solomon married Mary A. Willis. Children: Helen C., Henry L., and Willis S., deceased; and Lillie M.
Urial Atwood was born in Homer, N. Y., April 24, 1827. When he was three years of age his father moved to Binghamton, and five years later to Trumbull County, Ohio where Urial resided until twenty years of age. He returned to Tioga County, PA where he married Sarah Darling, who was born in 1830, and moved to Coudersport, in Potter County. In the year 1857 he moved to Woodhull where he continued to reside until 1871. His wife died there in 1869. His present wife was Ruth (Baker) Gillette. Mr. Atwood enlisted in 1862 in company G., 1st N. Y. Infantry Volunteers and served two years. He has taken much interest in the local G. A. R. Post of which he has been commander for five years. He has been engaged in the limber trade and general mercantile business, and is now undertaker at Troupsburgh Center. He has served eight years as justice of the peace.
Thomas Baley, born in New Jersey, after a residence of some years in Yates County, came to Troupsburgh, April 18, 1833, and settled in the Northwestern part of the town. He moved to his present residence in 1862.
Henry Bates was born in Greene, Chenango County, N. Y., December 21, 1806. In 1835 he settled in Troupsburgh on the farm which he now owns. It was then a dense wilderness with no clearing on the road upon which his farm is located. Mr. Bates married Louise Barto of Greene. Children, James H., Lorrin, deceased; William J.; Mary J.; who died at the age of thirteen; Diana, wife of Samuel Olmstead of this town, and Eli. Mr. Bates resided on his farm for over half a century. He has held the offices of assessor, highway commissioner, etc., and despite his years is seldom idle.
Joseph Brooks was born in the state of Connecticut, and after residing in Delaware County, came here in 1826. He located first on the Charles Brooks farm, and in December 1827, on the farm now owned by Dennis Dunn. He married Margaret Hauber, by whom he had seven Children, viz.: Wilton; John; Charles; Calvin; Elizabeth; Hannah and Noah M. The latter was born in this town October 31, 1829, and received such education as the schools in his early days afforded, and for forty years he followed farming, entered upon mercantile business in June 1869, at Austinburg, PA, but the year following returned to this town and opened a store at Fenton's, where he remained for six years. In 1876 he moved to White's Corners, where he engaged in business for eight years, when he came to Troupsburgh Center, where he has since conducted a general store. He married Nancy, daughter of Abraham Ordway. He has been town clerk, which office he now holds. He has also been a member of the school board, highway commissioner, and has held other town offices.
Ransom Cady, born in 1797, came from Vermont in 1810. His son Jonathan, a millwright by trade, settled near Grigg's Corners. He subsequently moved into the adjoining town were he built a mill on Bennett's Creek. Ransom Cady died in February 1885.
William Calkins was born in Wyoming County, PA, and very early in the settlement of Steuben County came to Painted Post where he spent one winter. He then settled in Troupsburgh on the farm recently owned by the widow of George Wildrick. At the time he made the journey there was tavern at the Kerran stand, on the Canisteo River, and one on the Hamilton Marlatt place at Woodhull. His wife was Cynthia Strong, by whom he had eight children, viz.: David, Charles, Caroline, Dennis, Ezra, Mary and Rhoda. Charles married Jane Sample. Their children are Charlotte M., Wife of Truman Rice; Richard, and Ella, wife of George Poley. Richard Married Belle Perry. Ezra enlisted in Co. H., 161st Regt.
Richard Capwell was born in New Lisbon, Otsego County, in 1803. In early manhood he moved to Marathon, Cortland County, and in September, 1837, emigrated to this town, locating where his son, James Capwell now lives. He was a carder and cloth-dresser by trade, and built a fulling and carding-mill at the junction of Troups and Works creeks, where he carried on business many years. His wife was Huldah Williams by whom he had one child, James, of this town, born January 12, 1837. Richard Capwell died December 3, 1875 and his wife September 24, 1885, aged seventy-six years. March 22, 1859, James Capwell married Polly A. Reynolds, who was born June 9, 1837.
William Card, from Otsego County, settled on the Fenton and W. W. Card farms in 1809. He married Celinda Potter, by whom he had ten children, namely: Mary, Almira, Lydia, Lucinda, Lovisa, Hiram, Levi, William W., Nelson and Wilson. William W. married Lydia U. Haxton. Children: Lillian F., Lula M., Willie N., Birney and Earl.
Edward Cheesman came from German Flats, Herkimer County, in 1823, and settled in Jasper, one mile below the Five Corners. He moved into this town, near Mallory' Corners, in 1837.
Thomas Fenton came from Scipio, Cayuga County, in 1810, and settled in what is now Jasper, South of Jasper village. His father, Lewis Fenton, a Welshman, came to America as a soldier in the British army in the war of the revolution. He deserted the British and joined the American forces in 1779, sending for his wife and child, who joined him in New York. Thomas Fenton married in New York City Phoebe, daughter of Gideon Marlatt. The latter came to Jasper the same year as Mr. Fenton. The children of Thomas and Phoebe Fenton were Lewis, Anna, Polly, Jane, Eleazer, Joseph, Adeline, David, and Fanny, who died in infancy. Mr. Fenton died in 1841, aged sixty-three years.
Eleazer, son of Thomas Fenton, was born in Troupsburgh, now Jasper. In 1840 he settled at his present location, where he built what was for many years familiarly and widely known as "Fenton's Tavern," on the state road in the south part of the town, and which he conducted for twenty years. This house was one of the largest and best equipped of public houses in this section. He was noted for his activity and enterprise, and besides conducting the business of his house and farm, he also engaged in mercantile business, lumbering, and in the manufacture of potash, which in those days was a cash commodity. He built three sawmills on Troup's Creek. When he came to Troupsburgh the entire tax roll of the town was less than $800, and there was not money enough in the town to pay it. He was supervisor five terms, has been justice of the peace, constable, collector, and highway commissioner. His wife was Lovisa, daughter o William Card. The latter settled on the Fenton farm in 1809. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Fenton, only three of whom are living, viz.; Mary, wife of D. R. Austin; Addie, wife of S. H. Shufelt, and William E. The latter Married Ruth Matteson, of Knoxville, PA, by whom he has one son, Ernest.
George Frazer was born in Wilkes-Barre, PA, and came here in 1815. He was Captain of the State Militia and generally known as Captain Frazer. His first location was on the Widow Tucker farm adjacent to the Woodhull line. He was a tanner, and also a saddler and harness-maker. His wife was Sally Abbott.
Samuel Griggs was born in Hector, Schuyler County, N.Y., February 10, 1794. He early settled in Troupsburgh and engaged in mercantile business at Troupsburgh Center, and in company with his son W., N., continued in trade until his death in 1864.
Matthew Grinolds, a native of Vermont, after a short residence in Herkimer County, came to this town and located upon Troup's Creek, in the southern portion of the town. His wife was Mary Richmond, by whom he had seven children: Stephen, John, Levi, Benjamin, Dorcas, Polly and Betsey. Levi was thrice married, and the last time to Polly Page. Their children were Ezra, who died in infancy; Levi S.; Rosalia M.; Mahlon; Frank; Byron; Mary E. and Emma L. Levi S. married Helen C., daughter of Solomon P. Ackley, May 25, 1879. Children: J. Walter, born September 12, 1883, and Eva A., July 17, 1888.
Edmund Harrington came from Chenango County and settled on the Joshua Murdock farm at a very early day. His wife was Lucinda Gallop, by whom he had five children, as follows; Smith, Reuben, Zebulon, Aaron and Edmund.
Nathan S. Hayes, born in Duchess County, settled in Troupsburg at an early day on a portion of the James Hayes farm.
Elisha Loomis, from Connecticut, was among the early settlers in Troupsburgh. He married Eunice Hatch. Their children were Alanson, Elisha, Joel, Minerva, Eda, Harriet, Henry, Hannah and Abigail. He settled near Mallory's Corners.
Nathaniel Mallory, or Malloroy as the name was formerly spelled, settled in Woodhull and his sons Nathaniel and David, cutting a road six miles through the wilderness, brought their household effects with oxen and sleds to the northwest corner of the present town of Troupsburgh, since known as Mallory's Corners. They were young, single men, and their sister Sally was their housekeeper. After the death of David Mallory his brother, Amos N., took his place. Nathaniel, Jr., married Nancy H. Thurber, a stepdaughter of Capt. Charles Wolcott of Corning.
Nathaniel, son of Zacheus Mallory, of French descent, was born in Vermont about 1752. He was an ardent patriot, serving in the battles of the revolution, and was wounded in the service. He married Kesiah Pray. Of this union were three children, all daughters. He married a Miss Wood, for his second wife, whom he also survived, dying in 1828. He settled in this town, at what is known as Mallory's Corners about 1807.
Alexander McCullough came from Norwich, Chenango County, and settled on the Goodhue Creek in the town of Addison in 1830. Here he engaged in lumbering. He married Abigail Skinner of Chenango County, by whom he had ten children, viz.: Solomon, Lucinda, Amarilla, Simon, Ralph, Barton, Flora, Ethan, Adaline and Sarah. Mr. McCullough, while floating logs was drowned in Goodhue Lake in June 1832, and his widow and her family returned to Chenango County. Ralph McCullough returned to Steuben County and engaged in rafting on the Cowanesque and Susquehanna Rivers for fourteen years. In 1859 he purchased of Levi Tillottson of Canandaigua, five hundred acres of land in the town of Troupsburgh, which he still owns. He has been very extensively engaged in dairying and farming and is considered one of the best-informed dairymen and agriculturists in this section of the county. For nine years, or since its organization, Mr. McCullough has been president of the Southern Steuben agricultural Society.
Orson L. McFarland was born in Sydney Plains, Delaware County July 18, 1816 and has since been a resident of this town since 1849. He learned the carpenter and joiner trade, which he has worked at here; has been engaged in mercantile pursuits, and has been a justice of the peace for thirty years.
John L. Miller and his brother William came from Oxford, N.Y., about 1831. The former settled where his son Reuben now lives, and the latter took up land farther south, but never located there, as he died soon after at Addison.
Parley B. Miller married Eliza A. Miner of Rhode Island. Their children were Erastus; Roswell; Martha; Eunice; Julia A.; William; Charles; Horace, and Thomas P.
Thomas P. Miller married Mary Miller of Chenagno County, October 27, 1869. Their children are Jessie May, born July 13, 1885, and Jennie A., born June 12, 1887.
Hon. James B. Murdock was born in Delaware County, N. Y., January 2, 1814. He resided there for nearly twenty years. And when a youth engaged in teaching school. His first residence in this town was about 1838, but subsequently he moved into Pennsylvania. In 1847 he returned here and built his present store, and has since been a prominent resident of Troupsburg. His life has been an unusually active one, and the confidence which has always been reposed in his ability and integrity, is shown by the fact that he has held some public office almost continuously since he has been a resident. In 1872 he represented this assembly district in the legislature, and was supervisor for five years. The South Troupsburgh post office has been held in his store for over forty years, and during most of that period he has been postmaster. Besides devoting his time to mercantile pursuits, he has been extensively engaged in the management of farm property, of which he owns nearly one thousand acres. Mr. Murdock was united in marriage to Sarah L. Wombough of Addison. Their children are Jane E; William B., Edward P., Elizabeth A., Martha P., Sarah A., and Henry W. Mrs. Murdock died June 21, 1876.
Samuel, son of Rev. William R. Olmsted, was born in Masonville, Delaware County, N. Y., January 16, 1822. In 1830 his father moved to Addison, where the family continued to live for a period of about ten years, when they located on Mead's Creek, in the town of Tyrone, now Schuyler County. In 1845 they moved to Troupsburgh, where he continued to reside for nearly thirty years. He represented his town in the board of supervisors in 1860, and held the office of town clerk a number of terms, besides minor offices; and before the organization of the present school system held the office of school superintendent. In 1868 he located in Hedgesville, and continued in mercantile business for five years. During the years of the war Mr. Olmsted was a pronounced Union man, and in consequence of his loyalty and his firm and fearless adherence to the principles of the Union, had for the time being, some bitter enemies. He was very active in filling the quota of his town during the war period. Mr. Olmsted has been twice married, first to Hannah J. Daughter of George W. Young of Rathbone, and second to Sarah E., sister of the former wife.
Hiram Olmsted was born in Delaware County March 29, 1827; married Laura Tenbrouck, by whom he has two children, Albert H. and Mary M. Mr. Olmsted is serving as supervisor of his town, and has held other offices of trust which he has filled with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of his constituents.
Thomas R. Park was born in the town of Woodhull, October 17, 1843.He was educated at Woodhull and Canisteo, and at the Binghamton Commercial College, from which he graduated in 1865. On the retirement of his father from business in 1868, he engaged in Lumbering. He afterward was engaged in the management of a grist and saw mill at Big Flats. He purchased a farm at Lawrenceville, PA, which he conducted for five years. He then returned to Canisteo, thence to Troupsburgh where he was interested in milling, and later in the hardware business. In December 1887, he became proprietor of the Troupsburgh Hotel, which he conducted until 1891, when he removed to Elmira. He was supervisor in 1885 and 1886, was for several years town clerk and held other town offices. He was appointed postmaster in May 1889. For five years Mr. Park was secretary of the Southern Steuben Agricultural Society and also held the office of superintendent.
Orange Perry, son of Harden Perry, was born in May 1802. He came to this town in 1823. He married Brunette, daughter of Alanson Perry.
Alanson Perry was born in Middletown, Rutland County, VT, about 1782. His ancestors were originally from England, from whence they came to Rhode Island, thence to Connecticut, where Eliakim, the father of
Alanson was born. The celebrated Oliver H. Perry was of another branch of this family. Eliakim Perry emigrated from Connecticut to Middletown, Rutland County, VT, where he married a Miss Downer. He was a farmer and a soldier in the revolutionary war. Of this union were born five children, three sons and two daughters. Alanson spent his youth with his father on the farm, married Rachel Mallory in 1806, and in 1808 the young couple came to Troupsburgh, then a forest wilderness, to struggle with others amid toil and great privations, until a home was carved from the primitive woods. He did well his part, was a hardy pioneer farmer, ever alive to the improvement and in his old age enjoyed the result of his youthful toil and the esteem of his associates. To this couple were born seven children: Brunette, in 1807; Harriet, 1809; Lloyd, 1811; Nathaniel M.; 1817; Teresa, 1819; Melissa 1921; Emily, 1824. Mr. Perry died in Troupsburgh in 1849 and Mrs. Perry in 1842.
Sylvester Pierce came from Tioga County, PA, when a boy, and resided with married sisters in this town on Troup's creek. The date of his coming was about 1837. After his marriage he purchased the farm now owned by his son in "Squab Hollow". There were but two or three families who had preceded him in the "Hollow". Of these was one named Conglon. His wife was Lucinda Card, daughter of an early settler. Mr. Pierce died in 1852.
Benjamite Potter, from Rhode Island, was born January 1, 1800, and came to this town in 1814, making a settlement on the H. Morton Jr., farm. He married Laura, daughter of Jonathan Cady.
William, son of Josephus and Elsie (Gardner) Potter, was born in Edmeston, Otsego County May 29, 1830. In 1850 his father moved to the town of Troupsburgh, and settled about one mile from Fenton's on Troup's Creek. William married Lydia L., (born August 6, 1833) daughter of Henry and Susan (Odell) Allen of Woodhull. Children: Axa Ann, born September 22, 1854; Abijah, October 27, 1857; Henry A., October 8, 1863; Sarah E., August 17, 1866. The latter child died January 21, 1878. Mr. Potter enlisted in Company F, 1st N. Y. Vet. Cavalry, August 27, 1864 and served until the close of the war. In 1876 he moved to the town of Jasper and now resides in Greenwood.
Chauncey E., son of William Reynolds, married Ella, daughter of John W. Fitch of Brookfield, Pa., February 19,1875. Their children are Olive, born August 22, 1876; Fitch, November 9, 1877; Vernie, May 6, 1881, died March 16, 1882; a son (no name), born November 25, 1886, died January 25, 1887, and Harry, born November 28, 1888.
Harry B. Reynolds married Rebecca, daughter of George Martin. Children: Clauss M.; Squire F., who died in infancy; Harriet; Lucy; Anna M.; Chloe, and Polly A. Mr. Reynolds second wife was Mrs. Mary Ormsby. He built a waterpower gristmill and a steam sawmill, which were destroyed by fire. These mills were succeeded by mills built by A. G. Crane and Elisha Sanford. Mr. Reynolds died at the age of eighty-three.
Squire Reynolds was born in Middlebury, Mass., and February 21, 1767. He married Pattey Permelia Rice - sister of "Uncle Sammy" Rice, the pioneer - June 1, 1790. Mr. Reynolds was born in Wallingsford, New Haven County, Conn., April 15, 1771. Children: Patty P., born April 1, 1791; Lent R., November 3, 1792; Adna B., December 26, 1794; Lucy L., December 8, 1796; Theodore S., January 25, 1799; Harry B., December 21, 1800; Anna, October 5, 1803; William S., August 6, 1805; twin daughters, July 9, 1809; Nancy M., 1812; Hiram R., March 19,1816. Mr. Reynolds settled on the George Reynolds farm east of Troupsburgh Center in 1808. He died March 29, 1826, and his wife, August 7, 1853.
William, son of Frederick Reynolds, was twice married, first to ____ Schoonover, second to _____ Metz. The children; by the first wife were Wilson and Mary; by the second, Lucy; Ralph; Chauncey; Jane; Frederick; Anna; Eugene and Addie.
Samuel Rice the pioneer settler in this town was born in Connecticut. A sketch of his life may be found in the history of Addison. Clark, son of Samuel Rice married Lura Jordan. Their children were George M, Stephen, and Roxana. George M., married Ann Van Zile, by whom he has seven children, viz: Benjamin, Isaac, Truman, Levi, William, Robert S., and George H.
Jonah H. Sanford was born in this town December 14, 1843, was educated in the schools of his native town, and has been principally engaged in farming and dealing in hay and grain. He has been a trustee of the Southern Steuben Agricultural Society for four years and also its treasurer. He married Rodesca, daughter of Seth Albee of Tuscarora. Children; Orcelia, wife of John Miller; Milton, Ray, Eva, who died at the age of sixteen; Robbie, Edith and Vernie.
Seymour Sanford, born in Dryden, Tompkins County, in 1813, moved with his father's family into the town of Howard in 1816. In 1835, Mr. Sanford moved to this town, where, the following year, he married Elizabeth Rogers. At the time of his settlement here the town was comparatively new, and the wolf, the panther and the bear were numerous and troublesome. To Mr. and Mrs. Sanford there were born thirteen children, all of who are living except three who met their death by accident. The first of them was Jonathan, a lad of thirteen years, who was killed by the discharge of a gun in the hands of an older boy, in 1867; the next Byron, who was killed by the discharge of a gun in his own hands, August 14, 1872, aged thirty-seven years; and the third a daughter, Mrs. Sarah White, who was killed by being thrown from a wagon by a team running away, in 1880.
Calvin, son of John Schoonover, of Tioga County, PA, came to Troupsburg about 1839, and settled on the farm now owned by James Ward. His wife was Lydia Potter, and the children born to them were: William N., Archibald, George, Benjamin, Delos, Hiram, and Wallace. Hiram married E. Cyrene, daughter of John Simpson; by whom he has four children, namely: William R., Minnie M., Jennie May and Bertie.
Alanson Skinner was born in Reading, Schuyler County, January 5, 1814. His father, Ebenezer Skinner, came to this town in 1819, and settled in West Troupsburgh on the farm afterward owned by Elisha Loomis. The father removed to Lodi, thence to Michigan, where he died. Alanson bought a farm in the town of Bradford, where he lived five years, and then returned to Troupsburgh in 1840. He has resided here since, engaged in lumbering and farming, until compelled by advancing years to retire from active pursuits. His first wife was Roxy Church. Children: Reuben, who died in the army; Ebenezer, also a soldier; Mary J., Laura, Luther, Lola, and Emma. His second wife was Sarah (Foster) Bently, by whom he had one child, Carrie. Luther married Nettie Sanders of Richburg, Allegany County. Children; Mary Addie, and Charlie.
Jonathan and Peter Sluyter came to Troupsburg previous to 1817. During the latter year Joshua and William came. They settled in the vicinity of the Charles Bishop farm. That section of the town is still frequently called Sluyterville. None of that name now resides in the town.
Reuben Stiles, from Hillsborough, N. H., made a settlement in the town of Addison in 1806, near the bank of the Canisteo, only a few rods from the present site of the Erie depot. In 1810 he settled in Troupsburgh, on the farm now owned and occupied by his son Eber. He married Phoebe Dutton, and their children were David, Alvah, and a daughter who died in childhood, Eber, Roxy, Achsa, Dutton, William, Anson and Lovisa. David was born September 19, 1804. H married Henrietta M., daughter of James G. Strait, who was born November 26, 1809. Their children, born as follows, were Phoebe, August 23, 1827; Joel, February 5, 1831, died March 9, 1886; Collins, November 8, 1832; Mary, December 2, 1840; Reuben, November 20, 1842; Timothy, January 18, 1846; Asel, July 19, 1848; and Edity R., August 15, 1850. Reuben Stiles died August 5, 1832. Eber Stiles, born September 28, 1811, married first, Letitia Moore. Their children were Loraina, who died at the age of seventeen; Israel, Loduska, Loretta, Albert and Losina. Mrs. Stiles died May 31, 1849. His second wife was Lydia Edwards, who died October 21, 1884. Mr. Stiles was born on the farm upon which he now lives, has never been more than one hundred and fifty miles from home, and never for more than five weeks at one time. He is still a very active man.
Collins, son of David and Henrietta (Strait) Stiles, was born November 8, 1832. He married Sarah E. Hayes, who was born September 12, 1832, daughter of Roswell Hayes. Children; Addie, born October 20, 1863, died October 23, 1887; Anson L., born April 12, 1865; Riley D., December 2, 1866, died August 20, 1867; Roswell D., born July 14, 1868; Carrie M, August 24, 1871; Ernest W., June 14, 1873, and Wesley M., October 25, 1877.
James G. Strait was born on Baxter Hill, about four miles from Nelson, PA, in 1787. He married Anna Maria Ives, of Brookfield, Tioga County, PA, and settled in Troupsburgh on the farm now owned by Edward Murdock, in 1809. Their children were Cinderella, who died in infancy; Henrietta M.; Edna A.; Lotrop; Abner T.; and James G.
Abiel P. Thomas was born in Massachusetts and when a small boy his father Sylvenus, settled in the town of Pulteney. Abiel came to Troupsburgh in 1834 and cleared the farm now occupied by his son Amos, cutting a road a mile from the M. E. Church to get to his lot.
Bradshaw White moved from Morrisville, Madison County, and settled on Troups Creek, near Fenton's in 1838. He was in the employ of Ichabod Leach for many years. He married Penelope Standish Leach, a descendant of Miles Standish. There were several children born to them of whom five sons served in the late war.
Philander Wilcox from Oxford, Chenango County, settled in this town in 1838. He married Betsey A. Kinney. Their children were Elizabeth, Frederick, Alfred, Iselton, Charles, Caroline and Mary. Mr. and Mrs. Wilcox both died in December 1884. Frederick married Hannah L. Olmsted, of this town, by whom he has had eight children, viz: Whitman, deceased; Lizzie, Jennie, Huldah, Nina, Bertha, Fred, and Jesse. Iselton Married Alzina, daughter of Sterling Lewis. Their children are Ralph, Cora, deceased; George, Anna, wife of August Bouguin, and Lonnie, deceased. Ralph married Carrie, daughter of Zimri Husted, September 17, 1884. Their children are Archie L., born September 26, 1885; Lee, September 9, 1887; and Lewis, July 26, 1889.
Daniel B. Williams was born in Foster, R. I., August 145, 1815. His father, George Williams, who was a descendent of Roger Williams, moved into Chenango County in 1815 and to Troupsburgh in 1835. He died here in February 1864.